#1 Posted by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man (Peter):

Vs

Jack The Ripper:

Conditions:

  • Morals Off
  • Spider-man is not allowed to use his webbing to incap Jack only to swing around
  • No Prep
  • Random Encounter
  • Standard Gear
  • Win by KO, Death or Incap

Location:

Online
#2 Posted by laflux (14118 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by k4tzm4n (36395 posts) - - Show Bio

I see you've read the new series :)

Staff
#4 Posted by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio
Online
#5 Edited by laflux (14118 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: After going on a Luther strode binge session, the question to ask is that did Luther use his speed effectively against Jack. Because, if Jack was Blitzing Luther like that, then I may be tempted to say he could be as fast as Spider-Man.

Still, I tend to favor Morals off Spider-Man.

And also, damn you for choosing Luther Strode and The Liberian in Esquire's tourney!!!!!

#6 Edited by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@strider92: After going on a Luther strode binge session, the question to ask is that did Luther use his speed effectively against Jack. Because, if Jack was Blitzing Luther like that, then I may be tempted to say he could be as fast as Spider-Man.

Still, I tend to favor Morals off Spider-Man.

I would say that Jack isn't far off Spider-man's speed. Luther does use his speed pretty well in general. However Luther is nowhere near as agile as Spider-man so Pete probably does use his speed more effectively than Luther.

@laflux said:

And also, damn you for choosing Luther Strode and The Liberian in Esquire's tourney!!!!!

Mwhahahahahahaha

Online
#7 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio
@laflux said:

@strider92:

Still, I tend to favor Morals off Spider-Man.

Morals off Spidey can be downright scary....

#8 Edited by mrtrevorguy (1198 posts) - - Show Bio

A morals off spider-man I think can win here

Pete is scary angry he has a lot of vent up rage

#9 Edited by comicace3 (3469 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey agility should help him take this.

#10 Edited by k4tzm4n (36395 posts) - - Show Bio

A big factor for me is where we'd place Strode's strength and speed so we can accurately compare/contrast.

Staff
#11 Posted by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

A big factor for me is where we'd place Strode's strength and speed so we can accurately compare/contrast.

In physical speed Strode is not far off Pete's level. I would say that Jack matches Pete in this department or near enough that it wouldn't make a difference. With Morals On I think Pete would lose the fight hence why I made it morals off so it would be closer.

Online
#12 Edited by k4tzm4n (36395 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

A big factor for me is where we'd place Strode's strength and speed so we can accurately compare/contrast.

In physical speed Strode is not far off Pete's level. I would say that Jack matches Pete in this department or near enough that it wouldn't make a difference. With Morals On I think Pete would lose the fight hence why I made it morals off so it would be closer.

Based on the new volume (and that's all I've read with Luther), I can't say I entirely agree with that. His feats are certainly impressive, but thus far they aren't things we haven't seen from characters such as Wolverine. There are numerous examples of Wolverine being a mere blur to multiple human gunmen and even vanishing when they're looking right at him. Yeah, the dude fluctuates from writer to writer, but his high end speed feats do match those. And, seeing as this is morals off, I consider Pete to a fair amount faster than Wolverine.

That said, it's clear Jack is faster and more skilled than Luther.

Staff
#13 Edited by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: But he was keeping up with a guy who dodged a bullet after it was fired and even let it get within a few inches of him:

Not to mention he was dodging bullets and running round them after they had been fired in issue 1 of Legend. I wouldn't say Luther was that far away from Pete. He's not on Pete's level but he's not far off. Jack was running circles round Luther at one point I would say he is on Spidey's level.

Online
#14 Edited by k4tzm4n (36395 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: Like I said -- I haven't read vol. 1 yet, only 2 (ordered and it's on the way, though!).

You and I have a different impression of his gunner rush in issue 1 of vol. 2. He's in motion as the bullets are on their way (the panel before that they have their guns ready, not yet firing). I don't view it as dodging around them or anything -- he's simply too fast for the hookers' aim (which, like I said, is something we've seen Logan pull off). He's remarkably fast, there's no disputing that, but a bloodlusted Peter is absolutely vicious and has the advantage of a wealthy amount of high end feats to draw upon. For example, Luther -- for some reason beyond me -- was unable to catch up to Petra as she was being taken away in a speeding van. Yes, he lept to catch her, but that was after giving chase on foot, and if he was Peter's speed, he would have been able to save her because we know for a fact Peter has the ability to catch a speeding car on foot (even Kraven can run in bursts of 60mph) The key difference here is how we determine the gap between Luther and Pete. It's clear we agree a bloodlusted Pete is faster, but I'd wager he's at least 10 miles per hour slower -- now, if you classify that as "not far behind" then we're obviously in agreement. It's certainly not a bad speed level at all and it's more than adequate enough to wipe the floor with a vast majority of street levelers.

But for the actual match at hand, I think another huge factor is Jack's pain tolerance. The dude kept going after that slam and having his neck broken. It's sure to be an interesting fight, I'm just not confident in saying Jack is on par with Spider-Man's speed -- at least not yet (pumped for more feats in the next issue). But man, if Peter gets a grip on him, I hope he doesn't hold on for too long, because we saw what happens when you do that vs. Jack.

Staff
#15 Edited by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I only want to add a comment on the speed and what's being used to measure it. Luther couldn't catch the van, but he'd just had a pretty brutal fight, had his powers dampened, and it was suggested that he wasn't completely over that when it was time for him to chase the van. As for Jack, I think his speed and agility (which be more important in the fight than running speed) are well above Luther's. There's too much jumping from Luther's less than peak feats to Jack's for me to guess at exactly how fast either of them are and compare it to Spider-Man, but I think Jack's speed is pretty significant. Then there's the ill-defined precognition to help him as well.

Moderator
#16 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

@k4tzm4n: But he was keeping up with a guy who dodged a bullet after it was fired and even let it get within a few inches of him:

Not to mention he was dodging bullets and running round them after they had been fired in issue 1 of Legend. I wouldn't say Luther was that far away from Pete. He's not on Pete's level but he's not far off. Jack was running circles round Luther at one point I would say he is on Spidey's level.

I'm confused, is this guy Jack?

#17 Posted by laflux (14118 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium said:

@strider92 said:

@k4tzm4n: But he was keeping up with a guy who dodged a bullet after it was fired and even let it get within a few inches of him:

Not to mention he was dodging bullets and running round them after they had been fired in issue 1 of Legend. I wouldn't say Luther was that far away from Pete. He's not on Pete's level but he's not far off. Jack was running circles round Luther at one point I would say he is on Spidey's level.

I'm confused, is this guy Jack?

No that's the Librarian.

#18 Edited by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is this Jack the Ripper from? This sounds intriguing.

#19 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: So... the Librarian dodges bullets and Jack is faster than him. Ok I get it now. Thanks!

#20 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

I found this one, does anyone have the scan where Spidey dodges a bullet coming from behind him?

#21 Posted by jashro44 (19564 posts) - - Show Bio
Online
#22 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks!

#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to give a proper analysis for what I am sure to be an epic bout, but sadly, I lack the knowledge of this Jack character to fairly create an unbiased opinion.

Moderator
#24 Posted by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to give a proper analysis for what I am sure to be an epic bout, but sadly, I lack the knowledge of this Jack character to fairly create an unbiased opinion.

OMG!!!! You're back!!!!

Here's some scans:

Pretty awesome speed:

Heals from a broken neck nigh-instantly:

@jedixman said:

Who is this Jack the Ripper from? This sounds intriguing.

He's from "The Legend Of Luthor Strode"

Online
#25 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: :)

Ok, now that's pretty darn impressive! Hmm... so Peter isn't allowed to use webbing in combat which I believe might be his downfall here as he is well known to severely incorporate that tactic in his fighting style. Although, I'd say their speed is pretty comparable, especially when he let's loose and the Spider-sense gives him the advantage there as well. But that healing factor... Man is that crazy. I have to think on this.

Moderator
#26 Edited by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Yeah the healing factors in this series are pretty oped. Luther had his guts torn out used them to strangle this other dude and instantly healed after. Another showing of jack's durability:

Gets smacked into a concrete floor and isn't bothered:

Online
#27 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: Oh geez, it might seem that this guy might gain a significant advantage if the battle becomes prolonged. That is some insane endurance. I'm just curious as to what extent his healing factor goes. I can't see a morals off Peter simply ripping his head off or anything so the minor damage he might be willing to instil might not finish the job.

Moderator