Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cpt_FacePuncher
No Caption Provided

Rules:

The Space Marine team is made up of ten individual marines

7 marines have boltguns, frag grenades, and combat knives. The sergeant is equipped with a thunder hammer and plasma pistol. One marine is armed with a heavy bolter. The final marine wields a melta gun.

Win by any means

Morals on/In-Character

Random encounter

Standard 616 and New 52

The Gauntlet:

Round One: Daredevil, Captain America, Moon Knight, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Hawkeye

Round Two: Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Punisher, Batman, The Winter Soldier

Round Three: Spiderman, Spider Woman, Scarlet Spider

Round Four: Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, X-23, Rogue, Angel, Beast

Round Five: Colossus and Thing

Round Six: Aquaman and Mera

Round Seven: Iron Man, Captain Marvel (Carol), Agent Venom

Round Eight: Savage Hulk

Round Nine: Thor

Round Ten: Superman

No Caption Provided

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

Stops at 4. Rogue and Storm are enough raw power to take them out.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thekillerklok

Depends on which space marines.

Avatar image for cpt_facepuncher
Cpt_FacePuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 or 6

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 3 this is the worst setting for the space marines, they're going to branch out and take advantage of rooftops and corners. Spider group can swing in and wreck them easily.

@merulezall Pray tell how do they have a prayer of stopping colossus much less the Thing?

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merulezall: Won't harm colossus and the Thing is too durable not to mention the pistol has to charge between shots, they'll get curbstomped by then.

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eisenfauste: What you mean? When has Colossus tanked a mini sun, let alone a couple of mini suns?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 juiceboks  Moderator

@eisenfauste: What you mean? When has Colossus tanked a mini sun, let alone a couple of mini suns?

What does this actually mean in terms of an exact temperature since hyperboles aren't quantifiable? Ben has tanked Johnny's flames on more than occasion and heat blasts from Umbra, both of which can and have channeled the heat and intensity of suns.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merulezall: Just double checked the stats of the plasma weapon, which dick decided it'd be neat to give them weapons that fire bolts comparable to 24 million F in temperature :P

Yeh they could clear 5 as long as he didn't miss with his shots or unless they took cover. I'd say 50/50 there

They get stomped in 6 though.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Eh it's on the wiki and I think in a lexicum that they fire bolts comparable in heat to a solar flare

@sirfizzwhizz Do you have any direct stats you can pull from the lexicum for the plasma pistol?

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wut

Get to 3-5 depending on interpretations of skill, PIS, bias, weaponry, durability, melta/plasma, etc, etc, etc.

@eisenfauste:To be fair, a solar flare (which plasma guns are often referred to) can be 3 million to 24 million and... well... it can very well be hyperbole given how strong something like that would be firing in the atmosphere. Plasma, itself, tends to vary though as it goes Imperial Guard Plasma < Space Marine Plasma < Chaos Space Marine Plasma. Have different 'quantum states' for the gas that makes it more boom boom burn, with Space Marines tending to have theirs set higher and Chaos Space Marines being crazy.

Their power per shot can also be changed to be, relatively, harmless, to punch through a leman russ to turning two Chaos Space Marines (and their armor) to ash with a single shot/Turn Orks to ash/burn them down to their bones/etc.

^ Can provide feats for all of those if desired. That said, keep in mind, Melta > Plasma.

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merulezall said:

What does this actually mean in terms of an exact temperature since hyperboles aren't quantifiable? Ben has tanked Johnny's flames on more than occasion and heat blasts from Umbra, both of which can and have channeled the heat and intensity of suns.

Silly juice,

@merulezall: Just double checked the stats of the plasma weapon, which dick decided it'd be neat to give them weapons that fire bolts comparable to 24 million F in temperature :P

Yeh they could clear 5 as long as he didn't miss with his shots or unless they took cover. I'd say 50/50 there

They get stomped in 6 though.

like I said 5 or 6 they stop, anything else is just pure stupid unless its ultramarines they stomp everyone, ward wank for life! Lol.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 juiceboks  Moderator

@merulezall You didn't actually answer my question. How hot is a small sun?

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@eisenfauste: Just whats stated in the Space Marine, and Chaos Marine Codex(s).

No Caption Provided

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MErulezall

@juiceboks: Fair enough, but I think wut did make a valid point on it. If you want i could quote him, because Im afraid I can't necessary answer that, however the question remains, can thing and colo tank something super hot?

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wut

@juiceboks: But I posted it. They are often called solar flares, a solar flare is from 3 million to 24 million degrees, give or take.

If you are talking about 'small stars' our own sun is a small dwarf star, so that should give you a hint on how hot a 'small' star can be.

Unless you assert they mean a dying small star, in which case, IIRC, white dwarfs are only about 180,000ish degrees Fahrenheit.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@merulezall said:

@juiceboks: Fair enough, but I think wut did make a valid point on it. If you want i could quote him, because Im afraid I can't necessary answer that, however the question remains, can thing and colo tank something super hot?

I already stated Ben can(dunno about Piotr).

@wut A solar flare isn't a small sun, one is a celestial body the other is a flash of solar energy. Even our Sun's temperature ranges from 2 to 27 million degrees based on the area you're referring to, so that description doesn't help much. What feats do plasma pistols have that would give us a better understading of it's damage output?

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Mind providing some evidence to this case? Curious didnt think ben was that tanky.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End at one, maybe.

Captain America is a really hard piece himself, he has fought really nasty ennemies with superior power and is overall realy experimented.

Average space Marines are awesome and all, but have proven to fail against regular mortal ennemy, if they were surrounded and outnumbered. None of those ennemy are mere mortal ennemies.

Beside of that, Power armor have some few weak spot that guy like Hawkeye, Arrow or Daredevil can exploit.

In the end, all I think the SM can manage is a draw in the first fight.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sirfizzwhizz
@juiceboks said:
@merulezall said:

I already stated Ben can(dunno about Piotr).

@wut A solar flare isn't a small sun, one is a celestial body the other is a flash of solar energy. Even our Sun's temperature ranges from 2 to 27 million degrees based on the area you're referring to, so that description doesn't help much. What feats do plasma pistols have that would give us a better understading of it's damage output?

No Caption Provided

As seen, Terminator Armor is insane tough right? Plasma weapons for the Imperium melt through it in on shot. So its pretty dang hot I think. These Terminator armors by feats tank anti tank fire like nothing, and other version of energy weapons fine as well. Tanking a Titan stepping on them at times. So its pretty decent of Imperium Plasma (notice I say imperium, and not say Eldar which has weaker Plasma) to by pass this fine.

Some Terminator Armor feats and abilities BTW.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos: Most Space Marines killed by Mortals is either Plot, or the characters in question were that good (Tanith First and Only for example).

10 Ultramarine's conquered a planet before. Im not seeing round 1 as a issue.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Did you miss the part where I said they are normally referred to as Solar Flares? Or are you stuck on the small sun bit even though they are roughly similar in temperature which is the point?

Anyways, various feats:

Burning beast down to their skeleton (keep in mind, this was a plasma pistol which is what is used here, also note the sun-flare... solar flare mention. Happens all the time).

"With the brilliance of a sun-flare, Grimaldus’s plasma pistol disintegrated two of the climbing beasts, letting their burning skeletal remains tumble in pieces back into the horde." - Pg.279 Helsreach

Turning Orks to ash

"My crozius kills one. A kick to the sternum sends another staggering back long enough for me to bring the maul down on his head. A third is claimed by plasma fire, tumbling back as a blur of white-hot flame. Stinging ash, all that remains of the wretched alien, blasts back into the eyes of its bestial comrades." - Pg.411 Helsreach

Firing a plasma pistol, exploding the barricade, sending superheated shrapnel everywhere and outright liquefying others:

"To his left, Barbelo’s pistol hissed as it discharged, sending a flickering plasma round down the corridor. The barricade exploded in a blue flash as Barbelo’s shot struck home. Men screamed as superheated shrapnel perforated their bodies. Others were luckier, dying instantly as the round liquefied them." - Pg.9 Hammer & Bolter 15 - Beneath the Flesh

More vaporization:

The man fired again. ‘In the name of–’ Barbelo, dodged left and fired, his round vaporising the man’s head and shoulders before the traitor could finish his sentence. ‘We will not hear the name of your heathen god, heretic,’ Barbelo fired again; his plasma round obliterating what remained of the treacherous commissar’s corpse in a crackle of blue energy. ‘Sanctum secure." - Pg.18 H&B 15 - Beneath the Flesh

More vaporizing (remember, Chaos Space Marines are in power armor that is also being vaporized).

"Growling, he fired a plasma round into his attacker’s leering helm, vaporising the Chaos Space Marine’s head and torso." - Pg.10 H&B 16

Changable settings on a Plasma Pistol:

"I'd barely taken a couple of steps inside when I noticed Drumon in the middle of the chamber, surrounded by whirling cyberskulls, which he was fending off with the sword I'd noticed him wearing in the bunker under the palace in Fidelis, his plasma pistol gripped in his other hand. The blade was surrounded by a nimbus of crackling energy, like the claws I'd seen the Terminators use to tear apart the insurrectionist artillery pieces, although he must have moderated its strength in some way, as the tiny airborne servitors simply bounced away from each strike as though dazed by the impact rather than being sheared asunder. In a similar fashion, his plasma pistol had evidently been modified to unleash the merest fraction of its charge, as instead of being vaporised, each of the bobbing skulls he shot was only thrown aside for a moment, before returning to the attack." - Pg.243 The Emperors Finest

Full power shot from a plasma pistol turning a Chaos Space Marine (power armor and all) to ash.

"Dal Karus kept the weapon as steady as its shaking power cells would allow. The timing had to be perfect: the weapon needed to be at full charge, and he could not fire unprovoked. This must bear at least some pretence of a righteous execution, not a murder.

Acknowledgment runes chimed on his retinal display, as the members of Third Claw signalled their decision. Garisath must have seen the same, or else surrendered to his frustrations, for he gave a blurt of shrieking vox from his mouth grille and leapt forward. Dal Karus squeezed the trigger, and released the contained force of a newborn sun from the mouth of his pistol.

Afterwards, when sight had returned to each of them, they stood motionless in their communal chamber. Each warrior’s armour was dusted with a fine layer of ash: all that remained of Garisath after the blinding flash of plasma release.

“You made your point.” Harugan growled his disapproval, and even the smallest movement—a gesture towards Dal Karus’ weapon—sent dust powdering off his armour plating. “Nothing left to salvage now.”" - Pg. 72 Blood Reaver

As I mentioned earlier, variable power means showings can also change. You have some that just blow craters into bodies, others that blow holes clean through, etc, but vaporization tends to come up the most.

Again, keep in mind, Melta > Plasma, but Melta has a shorter range.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 juiceboks  Moderator

@wut Not one of those quotes describes them as a solar flare. The closest is the first description, where the pistol blast is compared to the brightness of a solar flare. That doesn't say anything about it's temperature.

None of those showings prove they can put down Ben. Hurt him certainly, but not enough to put him down given his heat and energy resistance feats.

Tanked blasts from Kree Sentries that have oneshotted She-Hulk
Tanked blasts from Kree Sentries that have oneshotted She-Hulk
Tanks a fireball from a device created by Reed to burn through 30 feet of titanium within a few seconds.
Tanks a fireball from a device created by Reed to burn through 30 feet of titanium within a few seconds.
Tanks Umbra's heat ray who was using his suit to channel the power of a star
Tanks Umbra's heat ray who was using his suit to channel the power of a star

Also how fast do the projectiles travel? Ben might be able to react in time to dodge them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:

End at one, maybe.

Captain America is a really hard piece himself, he has fought really nasty ennemies with superior power and is overall realy experimented.

Average space Marines are awesome and all, but have proven to fail against regular mortal ennemy, if they were surrounded and outnumbered. None of those ennemy are mere mortal ennemies.

Beside of that, Power armor have some few weak spot that guy like Hawkeye, Arrow or Daredevil can exploit.

so much wrong, its not even funny.

Flyingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 1.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wut

@juiceboks: Not one of those quotes describes them as a solar flare. The closest is the first description, where the pistol blast is compared to the brightness of a solar flare. That doesn't say anything about it's temperature.

Stop being silly. You have already seen the descriptions saying they have the 'power of a small sun/solar flare' which I said earlier I always thought was pretty hyperbole for the handheld plasma weaponry.

What I posted was what it did when it contacted someone, and yes, turning Space Marines to ash does say something about its temperature. Unless you are purposely omitting that in favor of shrugging your shoulders?

None of those showings prove they can put down Ben. Hurt him certainly, but not enough to put him down given his heat and energy resistance feats.

Which is great, wonderful really, but you are free to point out to me where I said it could or could not.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 1.

No. How the hell do they lose round 1? They massively outclass everyone there even without their weapons.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 juiceboks  Moderator

@wut said:

@juiceboks: Not one of those quotes describes them as a solar flare. The closest is the first description, where the pistol blast is compared to the brightness of a solar flare. That doesn't say anything about it's temperature.

Stop being silly. You have already seen the descriptions saying they have the 'power of a small sun/solar flare' which I said earlier I always thought was pretty hyperbole for the handheld plasma weaponry.

What I posted was what it did when it contacted someone, and yes, turning Space Marines to ash does say something about its temperature. Unless you are purposely omitting that in favor of shrugging your shoulders?

Which is great, wonderful really, but you are free to point out to me where I said it could or could not.

I saw a description saying it has the power of a small sun, not a solar flare. I'm not denying the former now that I've read the quotes, but the latter is still dubious.

Like I said, I'm not doubting the temp of the plasma pistol projectiles. I'm trying to get a better idea of it's capabilities, and the showings you've brought forth have done just that.

That actually wasn't in strict reference to you, @merulezall asked for scans and I forgot to tag him in it.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wut

@juiceboks: I saw a description saying it has the power of a small sun, not a solar flare. I'm not denying the former now that I've read the quotes, but the latter is still dubious.

The heat of both is extremely comparable thus making no real difference between a small sun and a solar flare (the question is heat, not mass). I say solar flare because it fits the weapon better and has mentions of it being like a solar flare enough to allow me to do so.

Like I said, I'm not doubting the temp of the plasma pistol projectiles. I'm trying to get a better idea of it's capabilities, and the showings you've brought forth have done just that.

Alrighty then, that was the sole purpose of my post, supplying the feats for a weapon most people probably haven't really seen in the lore.

That actually wasn't in strict reference to you, merulezall asked for scans and I forgot to tag him in it.

Ah, I see.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:

End at one, maybe.

so much wrong, its not even funny.

Your ignorance is pretty funny tough.

Gregor Eisenhorn was an inquisitor, sure, he was good, but not quite superhuman. He killed an empowered Chaos Space Marines by himself. He didn't even use his low level psychic skill and he didn't have the combat skill of Hawkeye, Arrow or the sense of Daredevil.

Just read Hereticus, by Dan Abnett. It has been re-released recently and Dan Abnett is one of the best writer the Black Libbrary has. In Horus Heresy Horus Rising, he described elite human inflicting quite grieving loss to a squad of Luna Wolves just using camo.

Another novel written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden was blood of cadia, describing how Cadian Imperial guard suceeding to hold Plagues Marines lead by Calas Typhon himself.

In the grim darness of the future, there's only war, and war is a b..tch.

Sorry.

@xaos: Most Space Marines killed by Mortals is either Plot, or the characters in question were that good (Tanith First and Only for example).

10 Ultramarine's conquered a planet before. Im not seeing round 1 as a issue.

Hmm, possible, but the contrary has happened more often than not in the fluff.

And if you got rulewise and crunchy over WH40K, it's even worse, as a single lucky hit by a guardsman can kill an average marines anyway. And to put any of the opponent of round one at the same level than the average imperial guard is just ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos: That so, its not ignorance at all, it's just down right silly. Why people tend to lowball troops who walk all over normal human beings is beyond me.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos: Eisenhorn... seriously? Your best example is Eisenhorn? Where he killed a Chaos Space Marine that was more interested in Necroteuch then he was paying attention to anyone else (plot shields for the win)? Or how he is a 'lower psyker' just because he couldn't beat an Alpha+? Something most people couldn't do?

Another novel written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden was blood of cadia, describing how Cadian Imperial guard suceeding to hold Plagues Marines lead by Calas Tyhon himself.

Also, the novel is Cadian Blood, not blood of Cadia. The members of the 88th get decimated in that novel, so I am not sure why you are trying to use it. Or are we going to use the Psyker killing a Death Guard and try to extrapolate that to any mook can do so? Or how one of the main characters was a Karskin Sergeant, not an Imperial Guardsmen? Or how most of the time they were fighting Plague Zombies, not Chaos Space Marines? How they remark that soldiers begin training at 6 years old on Cadia?

Or how the same author (Aaron) had a chainsword to the back of the knee of a dreadnought able to take it out, or how he had a Space Marine take off his helmet and dare someone to stab him in the throat? Yeah, 'consistent showing of space marines' or 'writers preference', I don't think it is your 'consistent' nonsense.

Just read Hereticus, by Dan Abnett. It has been re-released recently and Dan Abnett is one of the best writer the Black Libbrary has. In Horus Heresy Horus Rising, he described elite human inflicting quite grieving loss to a squad of Luna Wolves just using camo.

I do not recall this, post it.

Hmm, possible, but the contrary has happened more often than not in the fluff.

No, it hasn't. Most 40k novels take the perception of a Space Marine and they tend to dominate whoever they fight, so no, it doesn't happen more often than not in fluff. It is rare, usually IG centric books involving pis, that ends up with normal humans dropping Chaos Space Marines by themselves.

But, to settle this, I shall happily in-engage in feats with you. You post examples of a Space Marine going down to some guardsmen in a way that makes them 'weak', and I shall post examples of Space Marines curbing guardsmen and mook humans easily.

And if you got rulewise and crunchy over WH40K, it's even worse, as a single lucky hit by a guardsman can kill an average marines anyway. And to put any of the opponent of round one at the same level than the average imperial guard is just ridiculous.

You aren't seriously trying to bring gameplay into this are you? Because the rules aren't representative of the lore.

Obi_Wan__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They get beat at round 4

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos:

I stop taking you serious at this part. Game Mechanics lol.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos:

I stop taking you serious at this part. Game Mechanics lol.

That's not bad, I didn't even began to take you seriously at first. :)

@wut:

Oookay... 0__O

So, when your favorite lose, you will invoke "plot armor" and author biased way ?

Interesting... or not.

Not really.

I mean, I love WH40K and space marines, but anyway, we aren't talking about average guardman anyway. I took the "bottom-line" to make some in-universe example. It' not because it doesn't please you that it's not cannon.

Whatever, it's not basic imperial guard we are talking about, even not karskin or imperial crack troop. It's Captain America, Hawkeye, Green Arrow and others guys we are talking about.

The adeptus astartes are beasty, I'll give them that, yeah, but Marvel Super heroes tend to be ridiculous in their own terms.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wut

@xaos: So, when your favorite lose, you will invoke "plot armor" and author biased way ?

So we are going to assume Space Marines are my favorite? Okay then.

I mean, I love WH40K and space marines, but anyway, we aren't talking about average guardman anyway. I took the "bottom-line" to make some in-universe example.

That isn't bottom-line. Cadians are far from 'bottom line'. Also, you gave no examples. You gave very vague descriptions that I corrected and opposed depending on the situation.

It' not because it doesn't please you that it's not cannon.

No idea what you were trying to say here. If you are trying to say I am not happy because it is canon, or something close to that, I am one of the few here who always point out that 40k tends to vary, however, Guardsmen beating Space Marines is notconsistent.

Whatever, it's not basic imperial guard we are talking about, even not karskin or imperial crack troop. It's Captain America, Hawkeye, Green Arrow and others guys we are talking about.

And you still haven't posted how they brought these Space Marines down, in what situation it was, or how it was. Instead, you are utterly ignoring the feats and abilities of Space Marines in favor of undercutting them by purposely underselling them by pointing out, rather rare, situations where the IG managed to do something against the superior Space Marines who tend to run over them in short order.

The adeptus astartes are beasty, I'll give them that, yeah, but Marvel Super heroes tend to be ridiculous in their own terms.

And your point is....? Space Marines, themselves, are street levelers, fairly high ones, obviously not spider-man level, but I still struggle with seeing how he is 'street level'.

They have the weapons, the armor, and the skill to put down team 1 in fairly short order.

Young_Murloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Wesat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers