Smoke Monster from Lost vs Mindless Ones from the Dark Dimension

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By owie  Moderator

The Smoke Monster/Man in Black from Lost vs the Mindless Ones from the Dark Dimension.

A horde of Mindless Ones from Dormammu's Dark Dimension invade the Island through an interdimensional portal near the donkey wheel. The Smoke Monster isn't going to stand for it. How many of them can the Smoke Monster defeat before he loses (if he ever loses)?

Smoke Monster
Smoke Monster
Mindless Ones
Mindless Ones
nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nickthedevil

@Owie: Stalemate. i dont watch lost, but if its a smoke monster, it can't be killed, and the mindless ones are invincible... besides, the mindless ones dont have neough brain to figure out a way to win.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeanroygrant

@nickthedevil said:

@Owie: Stalemate. i dont watch lost, but if its a smoke monster, it can't be killed, and the mindless ones are invincible... besides, the mindless ones dont have neough brain to figure out a way to win.

This

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By owie  Moderator

@nickthedevil: @jeanroygrant: I'm pretty sure the Mindless Ones have been ever been beaten, or at least herded, in the past. I'll have to look it up and check out the details.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nickthedevil

@Owie said:

@nickthedevil: @jeanroygrant: I'm pretty sure the Mindless Ones have been ever been beaten, or at least herded, in the past. I'll have to look it up and check out the details.

not really... even Dormammu is kinda afraid of them.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By owie  Moderator

@nickthedevil said:

@Owie said:

not really... even Dormammu is kinda afraid of them.

I checked several of their appearances: Amazing Spider-Man 498-500, Fantastic Four 499-500, and Dr. Strange 21-23 (1990s) and Dr. Strange 67 and 73 (1980s). In these, they faced a variety of opponents, including the FF, Spider-Man, Thor, Cyclops, Iron Man, and Dr. Strange.

In Dr. Strange (80s), Strange case a spell that utilized the help of many other magicians in the Dark Dimension, which herded the Mindless Ones along until they got them in a special spot. It was like a giant snowplow pushing them along. In Dr. Strange (90s) he specifically mentions the earlier encounter, then says he is a much more powerful magician now, and contains them pretty easily on his own and sends them back. In FF, they beat the crap out of Thing at the behest of Doom (using demon-given extra magic), then they were sort of just not mentioned again after the heroes escaped. In Spider-Man, they show up in Times Square and the Avengers and Cyclops and a few others fight them. Eventually Dr. Strange shows up and sends them away with one spell. During the battle beforehand, all the heroes were shown brawling and shooting energy blasts at the Mindless Ones. The Mindless Ones got knocked around quite a bit, even by Spider-Man--he was able to lift them, smash them around, etc. You could see little pieces coming off them when Thor hit them. So they were by no means overwhelmingly powerful, but on the other hand, in none of these appearances did I see any of them lying on the ground, defeated.

So they can definitely be herded, can definitely be knocked around a lot, can definitely be contained by magic, but there's no evidence I've seen of any individual one being severely hurt.

Here are Smoke Monster's powers: turn to smoke, grab things and smash them around, telepathically reading people's memories, being able to turn into anyone he's seen or who he's read someone else's memories about, minor telekinesis, being bulletproof. He is able to be hurt by sonics. He is also has genius level intelligence, as opposed to their mindlessness. He is magic-based, but can't cast spells.

I don't think he can really read their minds or anything like that. So he'd be reduced to picking them up and smacking them around. I don't think their beams would hurt him. He may be able to herd them back to the portal and close it somehow. But basically it probably is stalemate unless he is able to use his smarts to find some final solution to his problem.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nickthedevil

That is PIS. These things beat up Dormammu and you're telling me the Avengers and Xmen, and even spiderman beat the crap out of them? Uhhhh... hell no. Serious PIS

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By owie  Moderator

@nickthedevil said:

That is PIS. These things beat up Dormammu and you're telling me the Avengers and Xmen, and even spiderman beat the crap out of them? Uhhhh... hell no. Serious PIS

Well it's not that the heroes beat the crap out of them, but they did keep from getting the crap beat out of themselves. Basically I think the whole "Dormammu is afraid of them" thing is actually the PIS these days. The stories I mentioned are most of their appearances since the 80s, so they've just evolved from being an unmentionably scary force to a bunch of physically unbeatable but easy-to-magically-deal-with group. It's like the switch from classic to current Strange.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nickthedevil

I concede my point to you owie :)

sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sandiego008

smoke monster or stalemate ... I don't see mindless one having a chance to win here.