Silver Surfer's Hand-to-Hand Challenge

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By patzello

One fine day, Johnny Storm sends out a signal to Norrin Radd using some high tech piece of equipment of Reed's.

"So, Surfer! I don't know if you have been keeping up with Earth societal advancements, but you know what the internet is?"

"Yes, Johnny, I am aware of the terrestrial 'information superhighway'. Why is it that you seek me out? You cannot clear your rather embarrassing browser history on your own?"

"Very funny, Spit Shine. When did you get a sense of humor? Anyway, you have to check out this site. They debate all of these hypothetical battles and try to guess who wins! They are big fans of yours!"

Johnny then sends a transmission link so that Surfer can browse via a mental link.

Oh, how proud he is! Beating Superman? YES! Dr. Manhattan? Yes again!

But then he starts seeing some things that take a bit to process...

"Well, sure, I am faster on my board, but I am still faster than light react... Well why do they have to bring up the time Black Panther jumped on my back? What, did they want me to fry that vibranium suit to his... Now wait one minute! WHO SAYS I CAN'T FIGHT HAND TO HAND?!?!"

"Well, you have to admit, you do usually keep your distance, Surfer..."

"Because I CAN! Why should I go in and possibly hurt someone seriously when I can just..."

"Listen, Surfer don't take it so personally. It just the inter..."

"DID NO ONE SEE ME DURING MY SILVER SAVAGE PHASE?! DID THEY NOT SEE ME KNOCK BETA RAY BILL OUT WITH THESE VERY FISTS?! And I ask you, was no one paying attention when I blasted that Doombot's face off after it stole the Power Cosmic?!"

"I have been meaning to ask you, how does that keep happening?"

"Hold tour scorched tongue, young Storm! You listen to me! you will set up a tournament! I will send you the specifics in a moment. I want you to set it up! I want to fight Spiderman! I want to fight Solomon Grundy! I want to fight the Sentry!!!"

"Slow down, Norrin. Sentry? Really?! I think you should..."

"SPEAK NO MORE! I will be there in one weeks time!"

As they break their connection, Johnny leans back from the panel and smiles at Ben Grimm.

"Couldn't have done it better myself, Matchstick."

THE RULES!

Surfer does not use anything but his normal physical attributes. No enhancing in mid fight.

No energy, matter, time, etc manipulation.

His senses are only as sharp as they are without effort.

The fights take place in a 50 yard circle. If both feet step outside, you lose.

The world is watching via telecast.

THE LINE UP!

1. Daredevil (sticks)

2. Ghost Rider (no energy/chains, morals on)

3. Blue Beetle (one weapon)

4. Nightwing (one hand-to-hand weapon)

5. Solomon Grundy (semi intelligent)

6. Thing

7. Captain America (No shield)

8. Black Panther (10 second head start)

8. Martian Manhunter (Just h2h)

9. Thor (just h2h)

10. Sentry (just h2h)

Surfer will run the entire gauntlet, healing himself and his opponent inbetween.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WarBlade539

@patzello said:

One fine day, Johnny Storm sends out a signal to Norrin Radd using some high tech piece of equipment of Reed's.

"So, Surfer! I don't know if you have been keeping up with Earth societal advancements, but you know what the internet is?"

"Yes, Johnny, I am aware of the terrestrial 'information superhighway'. Why is it that you seek me out? You cannot clear your rather embarrassing browser history on your own?"

"Very funny, Spit Shine. When did you get a sense of humor? Anyway, you have to check out this site. They debate all of these hypothetical battles and try to guess who wins! They are big fans of yours!"

Johnny then sends a transmission link so that Surfer can browse via a mental link.

Oh, how proud he is! Beating Superman? YES! Dr. Manhattan? Yes again!

But then he starts seeing some things that take a bit to process...

"Well, sure, I am faster on my board, but I am still faster than light react... Well why do they have to bring up the time Black Panther jumped on my back? What, did they want me to fry that vibranium suit to his... Now wait one minute! WHO SAYS I CAN'T FIGHT HAND TO HAND?!?!"

"Well, you have to admit, you do usually keep your distance, Surfer..."

"Because I CAN! Why should I go in and possibly hurt someone seriously when I can just..."

"Listen, Surfer don't air it so personally. It just the inter..."

"DID NO ONE SEE ME DURING MY DIVER SAVAGE PHASE?! DID THEY NOT SEE ME KNOCK BETA RAY BILL OUT WITH THESE VERY FISTS?! And I ask you, was no one paying attention when I blasted that Doombot's face off after it stole the Power Cosmic?!"

"I have been meaning to ask you, how does that keep happening?"

"Hold tour scorched tongue, young Storm! You listen to me! you will set up a tournament! I will send you the specifics in a moment. I want you to set it up! I want to fight Spiderman! I want to fight Solomon Grundy! I want to fight the Sentry!!!"

"Slow down, Norrin. Sentry? Really?! I think you should..."

"SPEAK NO MORE! I will be there in one weeks time!"

As they break their connection, Johnny leans back from the panel and smiles at Ben Grimm.

"Couldn't have done it better myself, Matchstick."

THE RULES!

Surfer does not use anything but his normal physical attributes. No enhancing in mid fight.

No energy, matter, time, etc manipulation.

His senses are only as sharp as they are without effort.

The fights take place in a 50 yard circle. If both feet step outside, you lose.

The world is watching via telecast.

THE LINE UP!

1. Daredevil (sticks)

2. Ghost Rider (no energy/chains, morals on)

3. Blue Beetle (one weapon)

4. Nightwing (one hand-to-hand weapon)

5. Solomon Grundy (semi intelligent)

6. Thing

7. Captain America (No shield)

8. Black Panther (10 second head start)

9. Martian Manhunter (Just h2h)

10. Thor (just h2h)

11. Sentry (just h2h)

Surfer will run the entire gauntlet, healing himself and his opponent inbetween.

Haha! Brilliant. Just brilliant. His normal strength is enough to K.O everyone till Round 8. I don't think he can K.O Manhunter with just his fists. By enhancing his strength and using the Power Cosmic, sure but with just his fists...I'm doubtful. The same goes for Thor and Sentry.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha! Brilliant. Just brilliant. His normal strength is enough to K.O everyone till Round 8. I don't think he can K.O Manhunter with just his fists. By enhancing his strength and using the Power Cosmic, sure but with just his fists...I'm doubtful. The same goes for Thor and Sentry.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogueshadow  Moderator

Stops at Thor.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scenario made me lol

HyperViper97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HyperViper97

Clears easily up to MMH. Idk if Martians can even get knocked out physically. He could possibly take Thor but he wouldn't be able to hit sentry enough

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blackdog2009

If the Surfer is honorable, he faces Daredevil hand to hand at his normal humanoid level strength and skills. And I have fine wine, while I watch as Daredevil bitchslapps Surfer around and tko's him out of boredom.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This scenario really doesn't show is h2h skills because he's just overpowering majority of his opponents. I'm not even Daredevil could harm him in any way.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the thing has beat him twice under these conditions.

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By patzello

@comic_book_fan Can you post scans?

@norrinboltagonprime21

@blackdog2009

I figured that putting a boundary elimination in there would give something to the street levelers. If nothing else, I may have been giving the people involved respect by saying that their skill could potentially balance something out. Would it seem more fair if he gave himself equal vulnerability to his opponent?

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patzello said:

@norrinboltagonprime21: @blackdog2009: I figured that putting a boundary elimination in there would give something to the street levelers. If nothing else, I may have been giving the people involved respect by saying that their skill could potentially balance something out. Would it seem more fair if he gave himself equal vulnerability to his opponent?

It would be just as bad because Surfer fighting Cap, Panther, or DD with same durability would be just as bad if Surfer has his durability.

His h2h skills are average but shouldn't be compared to Cap or Panther because they are considered among the best.

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By patzello

@norrinboltagonprime21: Definitely, and that is why they are there. They all are known for overcoming opponents that could overpower them with their battle prowess. And Surfer is known for not being an up-close kind of guy. I don't think you could find anyone that thought Surfer was a blackbelt in anything . But I have also seen it presented in a way that if he would just stay still, a very skilled tactician could take him out. I still have my doubts, so I made it more of a contest than a fight. But if their skill, masters as they are, is not enough in those conditions then the question is answered!

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patzello said:

@norrinboltagonprime21: Definitely, and that is why they are there. They all are known for overcoming opponents that could overpower them with their battle prowess. And Surfer is known for not being an up-close kind of guy. I don't think you could find anyone that thought Surfer was a blackbelt in anything . But I have also seen it presented in a way that if he would just stay still, a very skilled tactician could take him out. I still have my doubts, so I made it more of a contest than a fight. But if their skill, masters as they are, is not enough in those conditions then the question is answered!

They are known for overcoming opponents in their range. Even Spider-Man can't who is several tons stronger can't harm Surfer.

And being a tactician doesn't mean anything if they don't have a lot prep and are geniuses.

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By patzello

@norrinboltagonprime21: Very well, but I also noticed that no one has mentioned Solomon Grundy or Ghost Rider. Solomon has fought Superman to a borderline stand-still, and that is a full-on fight. Ghost Rider is hailed on the boards as nigh unbeatable, so I limitted him the same way as Surfer.

More or less, I put people in there from all types and stripped them down to just their basic physical attributes and gave those with less going for them something to work with (weapons, technical wins). Honestly, I thought at least one person would stand up for one of the street levelers, being that they are in my opinion, the best of their class.

I could also see where it may be percieved to be a mismatch, though. I honestly was also trying to pick in character (why Black Panther got a head start :) )

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patzello said:

@norrinboltagonprime21: Very well, but I also noticed that no one has mentioned Solomon Grundy or Ghost Rider. Solomon has fought Superman to a borderline stand-still, and that is a full-on fight. Ghost Rider is hailed on the boards as nigh unbeatable, so I limitted him the same way as Surfer.

More or less, I put people in there from all types and stripped them down to just their basic physical attributes and gave those with less going for them something to work with (weapons, technical wins). Honestly, I thought at least one person would stand up for one of the street levelers, being that they are in my opinion, the best of their class.

I could also see where it may be percieved to be a mismatch, though. I honestly was also trying to pick in character (why Black Panther got a head start :) )

Well, this is what happened when Surfer fought Spider Man. It is a mismatch for Street Levelers.

I don't know enough on Solomon Grundy or Ghost Rider to give a definite answer about who would win.

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norrinboltagonprime21: Yeah, I love that fight. One of my favorites.

But it clearly illustrates the two main points that I was making:

1. Spiderman was able to do a lot with the ability he has. Pulled him off of the board, dropped him off of a building.

2. Surfer won because he blasted, flew and manipulated a car to bind Peter. All of that is off limits here.

More or less, I picked people with an array of abilities and made Surfer stay on the ground and go toe to toe, the same that Wolverine vs. Hulk or Spiderman vs. Juggernaut might go. And all of that aside, there are technical wins available.

It was never ment to be "who has the best hand to hand skills".

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

LOL at the op, he clears 1-8 than stop at 8

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

surfer wins

ferventking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ferventking

Does he still have cosmic awareness?

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ferventking: Only as much as it comes involuntarily. So if he picks something up automatically, yeah. If he would have to concentrate, search or otherwise take action, no.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jmarshmallow

Why is Blue Beetle before Nightwing, Solomon Grundy, Thing, Captain America, and Black Panther lol?

Jmarshmallow

patzello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmarshmallow: He responded late to the e-vite lol In reality, no real reason, just the way they came to me.

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people are selling the street levellers a little short in this situation. Obviously the odds are still stacked against them, but a ringout option means that their inability to harm the surfer becomes significantly less relevant; all they actually need to do is move the Surfer out of bounds, and any of them are strong and skilled enough to physically throw him at least 10-20 ft. Cap in particular has managed to push Professor Hulk around, at the least (and I'm sure most of us are aware of T'Challa getting Norrin into a hammerlock, as ridiculous as it was). I think Cap has the best odds of winning of the street levellers, not just because he is probably physically superior and more skilled in the first place, but he is also the most familiar with the Surfer's abilities, and is also very strategic.

Out of the others, Ghost Rider is kind of a question mark. Seems to depend a lot on which version. Grundy could lose because he's stupid, but landing even one blow on the Surfer could easily send him flying out of the ring. I think he has little chance of getting past MM, Thor, or Sentry, as they all have comparable strength, but are much better fighters.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jashro44
Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patzello: Oh, well I think Surfer stops at him. He can adapt to like anything.

Jmarshmallow

Avatar image for iheartzombies92--defunct
IheartZombies92--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@darkazrael999 said:

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Freefa11

@jashro44 said:

@freefa11: Silver surfer let black panther put him in a arm bar. Here are the writers statements concerning the arm bar:

http://dwaynemcduffie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10&p=72689&hilit=silver+surfer&sid=84b4d0469974aee8d60cb1373eff860a#p72689

Yeah, that was kind of a cheap shot of me. I actually did read that run on FF, and while I do think it was really bad overall and there were a lot of stupid things, it was also pretty obvious that the Silver Surfer was really not fighting back against the FF and doing his absolute best to diffuse the situation peacefully (the fact that the FF were continually provoking a being who could scatter their atoms across the solar system, not to mention being a longtime ally of earth, being one of the actually stupid things in the story). I should probably not help perpetuate the ignorance surrounding that particular scan.

Still, I believe that he and Cap do have some chance of scoring a ringout. The Surfer relies entirely on his immense attributes for combat, and has little skill or experience without them.

Incidentally, I was not aware that Dwayne had passed away. That's sad to hear; despite my dislike of his run on FF, the JLU show was absolutely fantastic.