2. Homosexuality
  3. Drug Use
  4. Bullying
  5. Relationship/Sex

Opponents

#2 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

BEGIN

#3 Posted by Killemall (18260 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a shame you used movie Sherlock Holmes rather than Sherlock Holmes from the TV series Sherlock who looked more impressive.

Sheldon Cooper was more of a joke character rather than being potrayed as a super genius, not saying he wasnt smart he seem to be well versed with science stuffs and law but will have problem here in the debate i think .

Patrick is smart in the sence he can read people but not someone known to be all knowledgeable, he seem to be able to read small signs and stuffs (frankly i like Adrien Monk from the Monk series better).

House is a series i have never seen in my life so there is nothing i know about him.

Sherlock Holmes apart from being a detective (although i would put Patrick as a better detective than movie Sherlock but holmes as a better detective if you use the book version of the TV series version) to me seemed like the one who would actually win a debate.

I really think Sheldon would start throwing tantrum after he'd lost.

#4 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Sherlock Holmes

2.House.

3.House

4.Sheldon

5.House or Patrick.

Sherlock is somewhat at a disadvantage seeing as how he lives in a more anciant time. Don't know who Patrick is. Sheldon is book smart, but no street smart or good with social things. House is like a sociopathand knows much about medical sciences and is up to date on current news.

#6 Posted by DangerousLoki (715 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Religion- As a subject it's hard to say how this would go. I think House has shown a considerable disdain for religion and debates it frequently. I don't think any of them have shown any proficiency of knowledge in regards to religion or to debate it. So I have to grant this to House.
  2. Homosexuality- I don't believe there is a debate to be had here. I think most of them all agree on the matter of they don't care what other people do and who they do it with. The only one I could see arguing in opposition is Sheldon, but only on the basis that's it's not logically transductive to procreation. And even then it's questionable. I grant this as a draw.
  3. Drug Use- This is House's area of expertise in my opinion as a drug abuser and a doctor who sees both sides of the argument. I think he personally has the best understanding here of the matter in my eyes. House.
  4. Bullying- I think this boils down to an understanding of people and in that regard I think Holmes or Patrick will take it. I have to lean towards Patrick. Holmes is certainly clever but he does have a habit of forgetting the human element in most every incarnation and is just a bit too arrogant and self involved.
  5. Relationship/Sex- They're all idiots in this except possibly Patrick, I've not watched the Mentalist. So I'll have to argue in his favor on this one.
#7 Posted by Mortein (2717 posts) - - Show Bio

@DangerousLoki said:

1. Bullying

Sheldon wins this one. too much experience

#8 Posted by Pokeysteve (8042 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

He'll never admit he's wrong.

#9 Posted by WillPayton (9158 posts) - - Show Bio

Sherlock Holmes wins. It's elementary.

#10 Posted by The Stegman (23058 posts) - - Show Bio

House.

#11 Edited by GreenFuse (295 posts) - - Show Bio

These topics aren't strengths for Sheldon, and Sherlock and House are too clever for The Mentalist. Neither would be impressed by Patrick's tricks & he's not in their league intellect wise.

Comes down to Sherlock and House. They're so much alike (House was inspired by Sherlock Holmes) it's hard to pick one.

#12 Posted by Lunacyde (17896 posts) - - Show Bio

Patrick Jane hypnotizes his opponents for the win.

#13 Posted by Lunacyde (17896 posts) - - Show Bio

@GreenFuse said:

These topics aren't strengths for Sheldon, and Sherlock and House are too clever for The Mentalist. Neither would be impressed by Patrick's tricks & he's not in their league intellect wise.

Comes down to Sherlock and House. They're so much alike (House was inspired by Sherlock Holmes) it's hard to pick one.

B.S. I have seen nothing from House that makes him too clever for Patrick.

#14 Posted by GreenFuse (295 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lunacyde: Then you haven't watched much of House.

#15 Posted by Lunacyde (17896 posts) - - Show Bio

@GreenFuse: i have the first 3 seasons on DVD. It's a highly entertaining show but I really haven't seen any truly impressive feats that would put him that far above Jane. Could you name some?

#16 Posted by DangerousLoki (715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mortein: Having experience doesn't really matter. It doesn't make him proficient in arguing for or against it.

#17 Posted by Sherlock (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

You Bastard how dare you spell my namesakes name wrong!

That being said I (And yes i being me specifically) would be the victor in every one(At least four of the five anyway).I dare anyone to try me on that

For the battle no one wins since all of the topics are relative and most people who discuss them are biased beyond reasoning.Not only that but there is no way to prove one is right and the other is wrong and everyone here is smart enough to know that

#18 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5280 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think Sherlock and Sheldon would cause most of the others to leave. Sheldon can be quite annoying and Holmes is no picnic either. Haven't seen much of the other shows to know if they could take Sheldon's personality long enough to debate against him.

#19 Posted by Erik (31626 posts) - - Show Bio

Sheldon would get crushed by everyone here in every subject. He is one of those super geniuses but he is easily distracted by mean people and everyone one here would pick up on that right away.

#20 Posted by ComicStooge (12001 posts) - - Show Bio

I am completely disinterested in all of those shows.

#21 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. House - he is a super freaking genius
  2. Sheldon - has some kind of ridiculous memory thing where he remembers everything.
  3. Sherlock - more analytical than debating i think.
  4. Patrick - dunno why he's here..
#22 Edited by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

#23 Edited by Jezer (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sherlock said:

That being said I (And yes i being me specifically) would be the victor in every one(At least four of the five anyway).I dare anyone to try me on that

For the battle no one wins since all of the topics are relative and most people who discuss them are biased beyond reasoning.Not only that but there is no way to prove one is right and the other is wrong and everyone here is smart enough to know that

^This is why/how Sherlock wins. He analyzes the topics of discussion, points out that any debate is futile due to the subject/biased nature, and then stays behind while everyone leaves after realizing that the whole thing is pointless.

Thereby winning by BFR. Clever.

Thanks for showing us how you will win Sherlock! 8)

#24 Posted by HowTerribleIsThat (349 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sherlock said:

House would be smart enough to recognise this as being absolute drivel.

#25 Posted by ElectricSharkSuperman (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Patrick Jane i'd say.

#26 Posted by Sherlock (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer Thank you glad all sense is not lost in the world

@HowTerribleIsThat said:

@Sherlock said:

House would be smart enough to recognise this as being absolute drivel.

Would you like to elaborate on that?Im really curious to know what you can come up with

#27 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

#28 Posted by MegaAlpha6 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Sherlock has an estimated IQ of somewhere around 190, Sheldon's IQ is 187, House's IQ is around 140, not sure about Patricks, so really the only battle is between sheldon and Sherlock. And Sherlock doesnt fill his head with things that doesnt affect him, for instance he didnt know the earth revolved around the Sun. So to be honest Sherlock probably wouldnt win most of this debates and for alot of them fail miserably trying. Sheldon however is constantly learning and studying, in terms of drugs Sheldon is the only one who would be able to keep up with house in terms of drugs being that he is often sick and knows of many illness and so forth, so either House or Sheldon, in terms of knowledge of drugs id give it to Sheldon or House, in terms of treating physically id give it to House. Sheldon would most likely win in Religion being that his mother forced him to become christian (just meaning that out of all of them he knows about christianity for sure, though he definitely wouldnt defend christianity). For homosexuality, no idea, don't think thats anyone's playing field and like said above, everyone would most likely just agree. Bullying i would most likely give to Sheldon, although thats only if were talking about physical bullying being that Sheldon kinda bullies people mentally, otherwise sherlock. For Relationships i'd give to Sherlock, Sherlock knows how to play people, its not that he doesnt know how to get along with people, he just chooses not too, when your as smart as Sherlock in relationships he knows how people tick and can react accordingly thats what makes Sherlock such a good detective and why he's so anti-social, he knows what people are gonna do and say, so he doesnt bother talking with them.

#29 Posted by ComicStooge (12001 posts) - - Show Bio

@MegaAlpha6 said:

Sherlock has an estimated IQ of somewhere around 190, Sheldon's IQ is 187, House's IQ is around 140, not sure about Patricks, so really the only battle is between sheldon and Sherlock. And Sherlock doesnt fill his head with things that doesnt affect him, for instance he didnt know the earth revolved around the Sun. So to be honest Sherlock probably wouldnt win most of this debates and for alot of them fail miserably trying. Sheldon however is constantly learning and studying, in terms of drugs Sheldon is the only one who would be able to keep up with house in terms of drugs being that he is often sick and knows of many illness and so forth, so either House or Sheldon, in terms of knowledge of drugs id give it to Sheldon or House, in terms of treating physically id give it to House. Sheldon would most likely win in Religion being that his mother forced him to become christian (just meaning that out of all of them he knows about christianity for sure, though he definitely wouldnt defend christianity). For homosexuality, no idea, don't think thats anyone's playing field and like said above, everyone would most likely just agree. Bullying i would most likely give to Sheldon, although thats only if were talking about physical bullying being that Sheldon kinda bullies people mentally, otherwise sherlock. For Relationships i'd give to Sherlock, Sherlock knows how to play people, its not that he doesnt know how to get along with people, he just chooses not too, when your as smart as Sherlock in relationships he knows how people tick and can react accordingly thats what makes Sherlock such a good detective and why he's so anti-social, he knows what people are gonna do and say, so he doesnt bother talking with them.

IQ doesn't really mean much, I have a friend who's IQ is 130, mine's 115, I can still out debate him.

#30 Posted by MegaAlpha6 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

While thats true, when you look at the greatest scientist in the world they all have a high IQ. All this means is that they are more likely to have more knowledge at there disposal. by no means am i saying that a person at 100 could out debate a person of 190, i mean i could easily get information out of Sheldon, there's a reason he wasnt allowed to work at a secret base. But what im telling you is that Sheldon has more knowledge on these subjects than Sherlock because he studies most of everything. Im sure you can beat your friend in any debate that he doesnt know about or isnt aware of, or perhaps he isnt good at making his points clear, but this isnt a problem for any of these people. and Sheldon is smarter in most of these subjects and can make his points clear. Lenard has an iq of 173, by all means Lenard is like a super genius but Sheldon utilizes his knowledge so well he makes a fool out of even him. what we consider a retarded person as someone who has about a 70 IQ average, the general IQ level is around 100, so that tells us that we consider people 30 IQ levels beneath us retarded so think about how house is to sherlock and Sheldon.

#31 Posted by Blacklightning13 (916 posts) - - Show Bio

They would soon realise that Sheldon is immature and they would quickly strip him down and he would throw a hissy fit. Patrick isn't really in the league of the other 2, he's excellent but not as good as either House or Holmes.

1. Religion. I think House would win, he comes from a more open minded time and he would have more knowledge about other religeons.
  2. Homosexuality. House. Time that he comes from advantage.
  3. Drug Use. House, Knowledge on the topic. Also House has had years of medical work, Holmes has had 1 day at most.
  4. Bullying. Holmes, i think he has an edge in intelligence, just in other questions he has a time he comes from disadvantage.
  5. Relationship/Sex. Patrick. He is the only social genius.
#32 Posted by MegaAlpha6 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

You realize this is an intellectual fight right? Sheldon has had many online debates with many people, there is at no point where he has made a hissy fit when intellectually fighting people. The only time he does this is when people force him to do the "right" thing because he showed them up. Sheldon goes to conferences that people like house hold just so he can make fun of them.

1. i disagee, Sheldon knows about judism, wheatever religion raj has, christianity, just about any religion, jus cause House is open minded doesnt mean he knows anything about it

2. how does he have an advantage

3. You're just assuming he's smarter because he has a medical show, Sherlock makes deductions immediately as soon as he sees the corpse, it takes house the whole episode

4. I agree here

5. never seen the mentalist watching it now so i cant make judgement call

#33 Edited by D3athstroke (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

deleted post

#34 Posted by Dahr (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Religion- I'm not sure about this one. On the con side of religion, Sheldon has an advantage as an scientist, but I don't think any of them seem like the religious type, so I don't see there being any debate here at, just a general consensus that religion isn't real. Sheldon has shown the he doesn't believe, Patrick has hinted at it in his disbelief of physic powers, as a doctor I don't think House would be the religious type, and Shelock just doesn't seem like he would be pro-religion.

Homosexuality- As the last subject, I don't see there being much debate here. They all seem very understanding of all aspects of life, the only one I see being against it is Sheldon, due to the only reasons for homosexuality being sexual attraction and emotional attraction, neither of which Sheldon understands well at all, but he would quickly be shut down in a three on one against the others.

Drug Use- once again we have the issue of not enough different opinions. Sherlock and House would be pro-drug use due to experience and knowledge, while the other to dont have an aversion to it, so wouldn't feel the need to debate.

Bullying- I don't think House or Shelock have much of chance here, they don't have knowledge or understanding, and while Sheldon has experience, he doesn't understand it from the opposite perspective, where Patrick's speciality is the human mind and what drives it. Patrick wins here.

Relationship/Sex- First of all, lets just forget about Sheldon for obvious reasons. Then we have Sherlock, who holds himself so highly above everyone else, that he has trouble understanding people and overlooking tiny facts. I'm not sure about House, but this isn't really his area of expertise. And finally, Patrick, who understanding everything behind relationships, both sexual and emotional, and what drives them. Another landslide victory for Jane.

1.N/A

2.N/A (Or -1 Sheldon)

3.N/A

4. Patrick Jane

5. Patrick Jane

And Patrick Wins

#35 Edited by theONEtaichou (1506 posts) - - Show Bio

an interesting topic...

But I don't think there are any winners in any round here. Intelligence is not equatable to debating. There seems to be a misconception that if you are clever/intelligent then you are automatically a great debater. It is not so, in fact the 'geek' stereotype comes from the socially awkward intelligent scientist who lacks social skills (or hampered) which included public speaking. Granted I am using a 'slanted' example, but I use it to show that high IQ =/= great debater.

Anyway to the topic at hand:

R1: Religion... from what I have seen of these guys this is a NO-WIN! (a draw implies a vigorous debate occurred without a clear winner, to me at least). No one here has ever demonstrated depth in any religious topic, and disdain is not understanding. Otherwise we would all be great mathematicians. Many issues raised that deal with religion (such as House who loves to show his contempt) are in fact juvenile and far too simplistic. Any first year college student (studying religions etc) should be able to counter everything I have ever heard these guys bring up. I have yet to see serious depth from these guys and such... no-win! As for the philosophical implications...

R2 Homosexuality: Here I would garner House has an advantage due to his medical field. But the nuances of homosexuality beyond medicine, it becomes tough. Jane could argue his points better over House imo i.e. a better debater. But then Sheldon has sometimes demonstrated (and inferred in the show) an almost encyclopaediac knowledge base of varying topics. But were the debate to go deeper, to philosophy and morality/religion all these guys would be outdone. But here at least a debate would occur... I give it to Jane/House with a nod to Sheldon.

R3 Drug Use: Here House has the advantage when it comes to drug use, especially medical drug use. However the argument that being an addict somehow gives him greater insight is meaningless, granted gravitas can be inferred, however the virtue of being an addict does not mean he is the better debater with regards to this topic. The only challenge for House is Sheldon. So this one I can give it to House with Sheldon very close behind.

R4 Bullying: On the topic of bullying vs the act of bullying... they are all bullies of sorts. But on the debate of bullying (topic rather than actually bullying) I give it to Sheldon, just based on experience. Even then a low point score.

R5 Relationship/Sex: This one is tough... I see vigorous debate, and I cannot see a winner. I see only a loser: Sheldon. The others, I just can't see a winner emerge.

there...

good day

#36 Posted by CosmosTyrant (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Patrick since he was young, was train by he father to be very good at what he does.

Sheldon will be irritated very fast.

#37 Posted by Pokeysteve (8042 posts) - - Show Bio

If they can prove their opinions than that makes them facts. Would the winner/winners be whoever has the factual opinion?

Its a shame you used movie Sherlock Holmes rather than Sherlock Holmes from the TV series Sherlock who looked more impressive.

I was thinking the same thing!

Sheldon would never admit to losing.

#38 Edited by dondave (34429 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall said:

I was thinking the same thing!

Sheldon would never admit to losing.

QFT

#39 Edited by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#40 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16024 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of knowledge on patrick is disappointing..

#41 Posted by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Sheldon stomps ALL. He created a new element and never loses ab argument.

#42 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (16024 posts) - - Show Bio

@giantsfan576 said:

Sheldon stomps ALL. He created a new element and never loses ab argument.

Not even close.. (no offense, honestly)

#43 Edited by RogueShadow (9948 posts) - - Show Bio

Sheldon shouldn't be here. House wins religion & drug use, Patrick wins Relationships & Bullying, homosexuality is fair game, Sherlock might take it. Although in actuality the main 3 wouldn't even take this seriously so Sheldon would probably win, whilst the other 3 just laugh at him and dissect him in every way imaginable.

#44 Posted by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16024 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: Off the top of my head, Sheldons IQ is incalcuable, the most modest estimate is 187, he went to college at age 11, built a CAT, a small nuclear reactor attack robot and a "death ray" (consiting of negatively charged particles) all between ages 11 and 15 JUST FOR FUN, received 2 doctorates by age 16, he has an eidetic memory, beat Stephen Hawking at scrabble, broke into to a five-pin tumbler system, single circuit alarm, referred to it as "child's play," publicly humilated the nobel prize of science recipient with some questions, invented 3-dimensional chess, found the formula for a new element, (heavy solid) discovered a new state of matter, (super solid at absolute zero) forever changed the understanding of the entire physical universe with his theorem on graphines behaving like particles yet are waves, and his theorem on network-string condenstates, he hacked into the Cray Supercomputer (Oak Ridge National Laboratory) used for NATIONAL DEFENCE for his own personal use, and much, MUCH more.

So PLEASE, elaborate how he's not even CLOSE to smarter than the others

"In these uncertain times, doesn't humanity deserve a gift?"-Sheldon Cooper (referring to his possible offspring)

#47 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16024 posts) - - Show Bio

@giantsfan576: Not 'not even close' as in he's not smart enough, not even close as in he doesn't have the debating skills to beat any of the guys here.

Take patrick, for example. He has talked a serial killer into getting killed by another, or found another man was a killer from looking at his cabinet, or told which book in a home-library a note would be hidden, without having visited the man or home. Or found a man's password by looking at his paintings.. Hell, he can even tell if his friend is going to eat something (the exact item) from crime scene, while talking on a phone with him. I could add more, but you get the idea. He isn't loosing a battle of wits.

I suppose you already know sherlock and house?

and all of these guys are very good at interacting skills, completely outclassing sheldon there, something that's quite necessary to win a debate.

#48 Edited by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: Oh a debate? Yeah Sheldon wouldn't stack up to them though he wouldn't admit he lost.

He's still smarter though.

#49 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16024 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: Oh a debate? Yeah Sheldon wouldn't stack up to them though he wouldn't admit he lost.

He's still smarter though.

Idk.. a different type of smarter? I can't see him matching 1/10th of what patrick does, but I can't see the opposite either.

#50 Posted by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: Read my previous comment about SOME of his smart feats.

So yes he is.