Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#151  Edited By Strafe Prower

@Vance Astro said:

But we don't know for sure, which is why I don't understand why people think it's so black and white.

I just don't think there is enough to say that Shang Chi has become more skilled either. We need more appearances to decide either way IMO.

@Vance Astro said:

But we're talking about a showing from Cable & Deadpool as series where Deadpool looked good skillwise. Not to mention that even if we disregard skill, The Cat isn't even capable of hurting Deadpool or putting him down permanently.

How is that? I don't think a Healing Factor keeps Deadpool from being KO'd or hurt via nerve strikes. Any competant martial artist could hurt him IMO.

@Vance Astro said:

Yea, in origins when Wolverine was younger and less skilled. Their most recent fight was an easy win for Wolverine. Shang Chi has never done anything that would make me think that showing wasn't credible.

I think that this just further proves that Shang Chis hasn't grown that much in skill. If he had grown like Wolverine has, he would have been able to do more.

Despite all of this debating, I think that Team Marvel loses here either of them aren't skilled enough to take Bruce and wouldn't take down Nightwing fast enough.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Strafe Prower said:

I just don't think there is enough to say that Shang Chi has become more skilled either. We need more appearances to decide either way IMO.

I agree. I'm not saying Shang Chi IS more skilled, all i'm saying is there's nothing there to suggest the Cat is STILL just as skilled as him.  

@Strafe Prower said:

How is that? I don't think a Healing Factor keeps Deadpool from being KO'd or hurt via nerve strikes. Any competant martial artist could hurt him IMO.

Healing Factor at least as far as what was shown with Wolverine keeps Deadpool from being hurt by nerve strikes at all, i've seen Wolverine shrug them off from many skilled users, most notable Shingen & Echo (who takes her use of nerve strikes directly from Daredevil). Simply stabbing and cutting Deadpool isn't enough. The Cat would have to behead Deadpool or jam a weapon into his nerves like Elektra did against Wolverine and even in that instance Wolverine wasn't down for very long. 

@Strafe Prower said:

I think that this just further proves that Shang Chis hasn't grown that much in skill. If he had grown like Wolverine has, he would have been able to do more.

How does that make sense? Origins is Wolverine's origin story. He was better than Wolverine before and now he's not. Alot of characters aren't more skilled than Wolverine regardless of how long they've been training or who trained them.

@Strafe Prower said:

Despite all of this debating, I think that Team Marvel loses here either of them aren't skilled enough to take Bruce and wouldn't take down Nightwing fast enough.

I figured as much. I'm enjoying the debate all the same.
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Strafe Prower

@Vance Astro said:

I agree. I'm not saying Shang Chi IS more skilled, all i'm saying is there's nothing there to suggest the Cat is STILL just as skilled as him.

Well, Since there isn't enough proof for either side, I'll leave it be.

@Vance Astro said:

Healing Factor at least as far as what was shown with Wolverine keeps Deadpool from being hurt by nerve strikes at all, i've seen Wolverine shrug them off from many skilled users, most notable Shingen & Echo (who takes her use of nerve strikes directly from Daredevil). Simply stabbing and cutting Deadpool isn't enough. The Cat would have to behead Deadpool or jam a weapon into his nerves like Elektra did against Wolverine and even in that instance Wolverine wasn't down for very long.

Is Deadpool's healing factor on the same level? Does it even matter? So i'm guessing the time Daredevil used a nerve strike on Wolverine was bogus as well then? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

@Vance Astro said:

How does that make sense? Origins is Wolverine's origin story. He was better than Wolverine before and now he's not. Alot of characters aren't more skilled than Wolverine regardless of how long they've been training or who trained them.

I wasn't referencing the Origins story, I was referencing the time Wolverine stomped Chi. Sorry If I was vague about it lol.

@Vance Astro said:

I figured as much. I'm enjoying the debate all the same.

Same here. It's been much too long since we have had a good exchange.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Strafe Prower said:

Is Deadpool's healing factor on the same level? Does it even matter? So i'm guessing the time Daredevil used a nerve strike on Wolverine was bogus as well then? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

Are you talking about the throat chop, because if so that just Garth Ennis showing his admitted disrespect for Wolverine. 

@Strafe Prower said:

I wasn't referencing the Origins story, I was referencing the time Wolverine stomped Chi. Sorry If I was vague about it lol.

I know what you meant. I was referencing both their fights. I didn't understand why you thought one proves that Shang Chi didn't progress much. I believe the fact that Wolverine curbstomped him proves that Wolverine's training payed off, not that Shang Chi didn't progress. 

@Strafe Prower said:

Same here. It's been much too long since we have had a good exchange.

Tell me about it.
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Strafe Prower

@Vance Astro said:

Are you talking about the throat chop, because if so that just Garth Ennis showing his admitted disrespect for Wolverine.

Yep and ok. How about the other 2 questions?

@Vance Astro said:

I know what you meant. I was referencing both their fights. I didn't understand why you thought one proves that Shang Chi didn't progress much. I believe the fact that Wolverine curbstomped him proves that Wolverine's training payed off, not that Shang Chi didn't progress.

I didn't mean that Shang Chi hasn't progressed, but that he hasn't progressed enough to move up a level, skill wise. He is still below Iron Fist, Wolverine, Daredevil, etc.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Strafe Prower said:

Yea, Deadpool's healing factor is just as good if not better than Wolverine's and yes it matters. 

@Strafe Prower said:

I didn't mean that Shang Chi hasn't progressed, but that he hasn't progressed enough to move up a level, skill wise. He is still below Iron Fist, Wolverine, Daredevil, etc.

I agree with that, but when he fought the Cat it was early into his existence.
Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By Baldy

@Vance Astro said:

@Strafe Prower said:

Yea, Deadpool's healing factor is just as good if not better than Wolverine's and yes it matters.

Wolverine has better healing feats, though an alternate version of Deadpool claimed he had a better healing factor, not that it really means anything as it's possible he was just lying.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Baldy said:

Wolverine has better healing feats

Not really.
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Strafe Prower

@Vance Astro said:

Good to know.

@Vance Astro said:

I agree with that, but when he fought the Cat it was early into his existence.

True, I just think there is enough evidence for us to say that the margin between them is big enough for it to matter, should there be a margin.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Baldy

@Vance Astro said:

@Baldy said:

Not really.

From what I remember Wolverine's healing after getting fried by Nitro is better than anything Deadpool has ever pulled off.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#161  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Baldy said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Baldy said:

Not really.

From what I remember Wolverine's healing after getting fried by Nitro is better than anything Deadpool has ever pulled off.

Deadpool regenerated from a puddle of vomit. I'd put that over Wolverine's Nitro feat and other times he was burnt to a skeleton because at least Wolverine had a solid base to recuperate from, Deadpool did not.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@god_spawn said:

Deadpool regenerated from a puddle of vomit. I'd put that over Wolverine's Nitro feat and other times he was burnt to a skeleton because at least Wolverine had a solid base to recuperate from, Deadpool did not.

GET OUT MY HEAD GOD_SPAWN...awwwwwwwwww
Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Baldy

@god_spawn said:

@Baldy said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Baldy said:

Not really.

Touche. Completely forgot about that.

matthew1061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's an old thread but it deals with a favorite obscure character so I wanted to weigh in.

Shen Kuei was created to be Shang Chi's equal and I'm surprised to see people questioning that. The scans posted earlier show two of the closest fights in comics.

It is true that there is no recent proof that the two are still equals. In the absence of evidence there are three possible assumptions we can make.

1) Shen Kuei is now considerably better than Shang Chi. Nobody is pushing that idea so I won't address it, except to say that it is just as logical as assumption 2, and there is just as much evidence for it, which is none.

2) Shang Chi is now considerably better than Shen Kuei. If the two had fought recently and Shang Chi had won a decisive victory, that would be good evidence but we don't have that. If we had evidence that Shang Chi has gotten better and Shen Kuei has not, that could work also. However there has been no evidence presented that supports either of these ideas. If we had evidence that Shang Chi has stayed at the same level and Shen Kuei has lost skill, that would do it too. There's no evidence of this either. For lack of any evidence that either character has had a dramatic change in skill level, the only logical thing to do is fall back on the default position: the two are equals.

I haven't read the Iron Fist vs Shen Kuei story (if anyone can tell me the title and number, I'd love to track it down.) It sounds like Danny won the second encounter pretty decisively but the first was either a draw (according to several posters here) or Shen Kuei won (according to his dialogue in the scan). I don't feel like commenting based on just the scan; I'd like to read the issues first to get the context.

The fight with Deadpool looks like a pretty clean win for Cat. The suggestion that Wilson was holding back because he's a fanboy doesn't hold up. Deadpool says, "...you've no idea how ling I've wanted to bump into like this so's I can--kill you."

The fight with Spider-man doesn't show much except that Spidey is very impressed with Cat's speed.

For the match, this is how I'd rate it.

STRENGTH: Batman is the biggest of the four and almost certainly the strongest as well. The other three are roughly the same size and probably similar in strength also, though it has been established that Cat is a little stronger than Shang Chi.

SPEED: They're all very fast, but I'd give a slight edge to the kung fu boys here. Both of them have met and impressed Spiderman, who was pressed to keep up with them, despite his superhuman reflexes.

ACROBATICS: The Dynamic Duo have a slight edge here. Shang and Shen are very good but lack the specific training that Bruce and Dick have. I think Nightwing will be the best, based on his circus background.

WEAPONS SKILL: This is very close. The kung fu boys don't use weapons as often but have shown extreme skill when they have. The Dynamic Duo, on the other hand, use batarangs and Nightwing uses his sticks all the time. I'll give them a slight edge.

HTH SKILL: Batman and Nightwing have a much broader range of skills including forensic science, detective skills, driving/piloting, and so on. They are world class fighters but they have not devoted themselves to martial arts training with the single-minded devotion that Shang Chi and Cat have. We know from dialogue in one of their fights that Shen Kuei has been training in martial arts since he was three and Shang Chi has been training since he was two. Shang Chi's father, Fu Manchu was a ruthless genius who wanted to forge his son into the perfect living weapon. If this was a straight martial arts match with no other factors involved, I'd expect Shang Chi and Shen Kuei to win.

INTELLIGENCE: All are smart fighters, but this is where Nightwing and (especially) Batman shine. Bruce is a master at finding ways to defeat foes who are stronger, faster, and more skilled.

TEAMWORK: Team Bat has worked together closely for many years and has incredible teamwork. Shang Chi and Shen Kuei are rivals who would only grudgingly work together at all. Bruce and Dick have a clear advantage.

CONCLUSION: it's not a stomp for anyone. These are four of the world's best fighters and there are a ton of variables in play. Shang Chi and Shen Kuei are martial artists at the level of DC characters like Bronze Tiger and Lady Shiva, who have given Batman some exceptionally rough fights. That said, I believe the superior teamwork, the use of weapons, and Batman's intelligence and resourcefulness are going to be the deciding factor here. I give it to Batman and Nightwing, but only 6/10/