#1 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio

Often times on the battle forums page, there are duplicate threads made. When a user provides a link to the original(s), there is often the response that the maker of the thread did not receive that result when using the search function. We all make mistakes at times and making the honest error of creating a battle thread that has been made previously when the search function did not produce the results is not unforgivable. However, for the sake of not flooding the forum pages with duplicate threads, this situation needs to be rectified. Of course, duplicate threads will be made as long as this site endures, but it would be more than beneficial for this not to be overdone.  

The difficulty with the search function lies in its specificity. At times, one slight nuance or lack of information has caused it to compute completely different results or no results at all. This, I believe, is the primary source of the failure to discover whether or not a thread has been made before. However, what users often do not utilize is the search function at the top of the page. When you enter the site and search for a character, a publisher, a writer, an artist, a story arc, a comic volume, a movie, etc., it is also possible to search for forums. This search function can be altered to search for specific results. When clicking on the "options" button next to the character bar where you type, different results can be selected or deselected at a user's choosing.  

As displayed in the picture above, the "topics" box is selected. When "topics" is selected, users can search for threads from any forum type. Using this method is sometimes easier and less complex than using the battle forums search function. If users want to use the primary battle thread search function, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is there to assist in preventing the creation of dupe threads, but using the primary site search function can be generally easier and, in some cases, more efficient.  

Users can of course decide on which searching method they prefer. One method is not necessarily better or worse than another. This is simply an alternate method of searching for threads. The goal is to ensure that duplicate threads are not made.     
#2 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really helpful, I have pinned it to the battle forums for all to see, good work

#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio

Good job. It's true that sometimes you don't the results you want.

#4 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio

Very Good job Silver. I hope some people bother to read it so we won't see any dupe thread again. 
=]

#5 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: @spidey 15: Thanks. 
#6 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: You're Welcome. 
=]
#7 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: No problem.
#8 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Good idea Silver! I never thought to use that search, only the normal one. I'll try this new method next time I'm about to make a battle. :D

#9 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite: No trouble. 
#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: Way to go! This was definitely needed.
#11 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Thanks. :)
#12 Posted by nicknicholby (523 posts) - - Show Bio

the search doesn't work very well.  there will be duplicate threads.  i recently created a duplicate thread and used the search multiple time with different spellings and different wordings.  i was sure that i had created a thread nobody else had.  wrong.

#13 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@nicknicholby said:
" the search doesn't work very well.  there will be duplicate threads.  i recently created a duplicate thread and used the search multiple time with different spellings and different wordings.  i was sure that i had created a thread nobody else had.  wrong. "
Did you read the OP? It gives an alternate way to search that should be better at finding threads so that you can avoid dupes.
#14 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicely done. But, there will always be people that won't read.

#15 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: True, unfortunately. 
#16 Posted by Pr_Beyonder (2440 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
"Good job. It's true that sometimes you don't the results you want. "
#17 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

For Making This Thread.
#18 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: And I will always be here to smack them upside the head.
#19 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:
" @Static Shock: And I will always be here to smack them upside the head. "
lol
#20 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually used this method and avoiding making a dude thread. It works!

#21 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:
" I actually used this method and avoiding making a dude thread. It works! "
Really? Because I haven't used it yet.
#22 Posted by Edamame (28136 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:
lol
#23 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Decoy Elite said:
Really? Because I haven't used it yet. "
Yeah, it caught a thread that the normal search didn't so it works to some extent.
#24 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
" @Decoy Elite said:
Really? Because I haven't used it yet. "
Yeah, it caught a thread that the normal search didn't so it works to some extent. "
Good. I will give it a try one of these days if I come up with any ideas.
#25 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:
LOL.
#26 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried it and it was very good. I found threads that I couldn't find with the usual search function.

#27 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467:
Holy cow dude. A mod pinned your thread to the top of the battles forum?? 
That's like the Comicvine equivalent of mom hanging your macaroni-and-glue picture in the living room instead of the refrigerator!
#28 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus: Hahahahaha.
#29 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" @Silver2467: Holy cow dude. A mod pinned your thread to the top of the battles forum?? That's like the Comicvine equivalent of mom hanging your macaroni-and-glue picture in the living room instead of the refrigerator! "
lol
#30 Posted by lagoon_boy (10952 posts) - - Show Bio
Aha! Very good job!
#31 Posted by Trainer_Gabriel (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. Very helpful.

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" @Silver2467: Holy cow dude. A mod pinned your thread to the top of the battles forum?? That's like the Comicvine equivalent of mom hanging your macaroni-and-glue picture in the living room instead of the refrigerator! "
LMFAO.
#33 Posted by JonWilson (69 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks for that but when you create a thread that has exeptions or different versions of the same charecter and people still say you recreated a thread it gets annoying.
#34 Posted by Erik (32784 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicely done sir! You get respect from the almighty me.

#35 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: Nice bro :)
#36 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

Now all we need is for people to actually use this. :P

#37 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#38 Posted by Erik (32784 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it not pinned anymore?

#39 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@erik said:
" Why is it not pinned anymore? "
This is in the Battle Forum FAQ section. 
#40 Posted by Erik (32784 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467: 
I guess that makes sense. But still. If more threads like this are at the top, maybe one or two will actually get read.
#41 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14860 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump because I didn't want to make a dupe thread about being annoyed by dupe threads.