• 54 results
Winduizcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Winduizcool

I realize that this does not refer to comic book characters but I'm doing it anyways. The fight is to the death. Takes place in a Japanese field. Who would win? I personally say the Samurai because they were equipped with the Kanabo and they're going to bash it on they're shield and break they're arm. So so much for the shield. Then it goes to the sword skills and the samurai is going to demolish him with sword skills. Even if they used the spear they'd cut the wood off and it would be stick vs katana. Who do you think would win.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ferro Vida

Can you state the equipment they both have? If the Samurai can make it past the shield then I say he will take it.

ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ssjsuperman

sparten it will be hard to get past there shilds. 

but the Samurai    are manny years ahead with equipment    
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Samurai

Jason Markez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jason Markez
@ssjsuperman said:
" sparten it will be hard to get past there shilds.   but the Samurai    are manny years ahead with equipment     "
Depending on what equipment he has the Samurai can get through the shield.
ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssjsuperman
@Jason Markez: 

maybe but i dont think it will go through like butter and there shild is also used as a wepen
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@Jason Markez said:
" @ssjsuperman said:
" sparten it will be hard to get past there shilds.   but the Samurai    are manny years ahead with equipment     "
Depending on what equipment he has the Samurai can get through the shield. "
What kind of equipment?
Jason Markez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jason Markez
@Lance Uppercut said:

" @Jason Markez said:

" @ssjsuperman said:
What kind of equipment? "
Quoted from an encyclopedia of Samurai weaponry

Kanabo

The tetsubo or kanabo was a wooden club clad in iron, with iron studs accounting for perhaps a third of the weapons length. It basically resembled a crude elongated baseball bat. It was reckoned good for breaking swords and horses legs and it’s weight meant that it could inflict serious blunt trauma even on armoured opponents. However, it’s weight also made it very cumbersome to wield. This weapon is associated particularly with oni, the devils of Japanese folklore.

ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssjsuperman
@Lance Uppercut: 

They carried two katana (katana being a Japanese word, it receives no pluralization).

Katana refers to blades in general, the longer of which is called daitou, the shorter is a wakizashi.

Also.....They carried a piece of paper (like a napkin/serviette) tucked inside their clothing, a form of etiquette. It was used for everything from carrying a sweet snack or as a wiping instrument (their blades or foreheads). Tossed out when no longer useable. 

and at one point they used guns.

Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Argentino_18

Samurai..

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Matezoide2

Spartan

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@ssjsuperman : I know what weaponry they carry. I meant specifically what they have that can cut through a Spartan shield.

@Jason Markez said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:

" @Jason Markez said:

" @ssjsuperman said:
What kind of equipment? "
Quoted from an encyclopedia of Samurai weaponry

Kanabo

The tetsubo or kanabo was a wooden club clad in iron, with iron studs accounting for perhaps a third of the weapons length. It basically resembled a crude elongated baseball bat. It was reckoned good for breaking swords and horses legs and it’s weight meant that it could inflict serious blunt trauma even on armoured opponents. However, it’s weight also made it very cumbersome to wield. This weapon is associated particularly with oni, the devils of Japanese folklore.

"

Hm. It may not get through the shield, but I suppose if it's swung hard enough, the force of the strike could break the arm of the Spartan.
Jason Markez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jason Markez
@Lance Uppercut: I was thinking something like that too. The other thing is that the Spartan shields were made mostly of Bronze. The Samurai weaponray was several thousand years ahead of them.

If the Spartan scored a hit with that shield to daze the samurai, then I think it could be over.
ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssjsuperman
@Jason Markez:
dont forget the Samurai   those have guns
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@Jason Markez said:
" @Lance Uppercut: I was thinking something like that too. The other thing is that the Spartan shields were made mostly of Bronze. The Samurai weaponray was several thousand years ahead of them.  If the Spartan scored a hit with that shield to daze the samurai, then I think it could be over. "
Well, if the tests from Deadliest Warrior are correct (I mean, it's basically wikipedia, but they back up some of their facts) then bronze weaponry can stand up to steel. It's just that the blunt force from the huge bat could cause massive damage. The Spartan may be able to dodge it, given that it seems rather large and cumbersome, but the Samurai is fairly well protected.
ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ssjsuperman
@Lance Uppercut:
ya i seen that show but i dont think they used a big sward. 

and are we useing the Samurai from japan or china
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

Samurai.

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@ssjsuperman said:
" @Lance Uppercut: ya i seen that show but i dont think they used a big sward.  and are we useing the Samurai from japan or china "
There are no Katanas in China. Because there were no Samurai in China.
ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ssjsuperman
@Lance Uppercut: 
your right im sorry.

i dont know much about the Spartan   leaders do they have any well none generals    

Winduizcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Winduizcool

Samurai equipment: Katana,Wakizashi, Kanabo, and Naginata. 
Spartan equipment: Bronze Shield, spear, and Xiphos.

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@ssjsuperman said:
" @Lance Uppercut: 
your right im sorry.

i dont know much about the Spartan   leaders do they have any well none generals    

"
Did you not see 300?
Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ferro Vida
@Winduizcool said:
" Samurai equipment: Katana,Wakizashi, Kanabo, and Naginata. Spartan equipment: Bronze Shield, spear, and Xiphos. "
Perhaps you should include pictures?
Avatar image for phu_rth_en_larshuthit
Phu-rth En'larshuthit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lance Uppercut said:
" @Jason Markez said:
" @Lance Uppercut: I was thinking something like that too. The other thing is that the Spartan shields were made mostly of Bronze. The Samurai weaponray was several thousand years ahead of them.  If the Spartan scored a hit with that shield to daze the samurai, then I think it could be over. "
Well, if the tests from Deadliest Warrior are correct (I mean, it's basically wikipedia, but they back up some of their facts) then bronze weaponry can stand up to steel. It's just that the blunt force from the huge bat could cause massive damage. The Spartan may be able to dodge it, given that it seems rather large and cumbersome, but the Samurai is fairly well protected. "
The Deadliest Warrior shield test wasn't accurate. It used a purely bronze shield IIRC. Spartan shields, like the shields of all other Greek hoplite warriors, was made of wood that was coated in bronze.
Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hellos

Plate armor > leather. Samuri in standard gear should take down a Spartan in standard gear. :P
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Still say Samurai

Fatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fatal

Yep. Samurai wins.

MisterGuyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MisterGuyMan

Samurai wins.

Spartans functioned as a unit.  Samurai specialized as duelists as well.  Have you ever watched an anime where two swordsmen run parallel into a bamboo forest or something?  They do that because they're trying to run into favorable ground.  Force them enemy to fight them while looking into the direction of the sun, gain higher ground or place the enemy on bad footing.  Those are just some minor examples of what Samurai did to gain advantages in duels. 

ssjsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ssjsuperman
@Lance Uppercut: 

king leonidas vs nobunaga oda sounds cool
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Matezoide2
@MisterGuyMan said:
" Samurai wins.  Spartans functioned as a unit.  Samurai specialized as duelists as well.  Have you ever watched an anime where two swordsmen run parallel into a bamboo forest or something?  They do that because they're trying to run into favorable ground.  Force them enemy to fight them while looking into the direction of the sun, gain higher ground or place the enemy on bad footing.  Those are just some minor examples of what Samurai did to gain advantages in duels.  "
so did Spartans,they used terrain to prevent Sparta from being captured by the Persans

that and the Spartans lived to fight,ever since they were kids,they were trained to fight as a unit and alone
Winduizcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Winduizcool
@Ferro Vida said:
" @Winduizcool said:
" Samurai equipment: Katana,Wakizashi, Kanabo, and Naginata. Spartan equipment: Bronze Shield, spear, and Xiphos. "
Perhaps you should include pictures? "
Katana
No Caption Provided
Wakizashi
No Caption Provided
Kanabo 

No Caption Provided
Naginata
No Caption Provided
Bronze Shield 

No Caption Provided
Spear 

No Caption Provided
Xiphos 

No Caption Provided
MisterGuyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MisterGuyMan
@Matezoide said:
"so did Spartans,they used terrain to prevent Sparta from being captured by the Persans  that and the Spartans lived to fight,ever since they were kids,they were trained to fight as a unit and alone "
Samurai were famous duelists.  I can name quite a few legendary Samurai that excelled in dueling.  How many famous Spartan duelists can you name? 
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Matezoide2
@MisterGuyMan said:

" @Matezoide said:

"so did Spartans,they used terrain to prevent Sparta from being captured by the Persans  that and the Spartans lived to fight,ever since they were kids,they were trained to fight as a unit and alone "
Samurai were famous duelists.  I can name quite a few legendary Samurai that excelled in dueling.  How many famous Spartan duelists can you name?  "
i barely study Sparta,just the basic :p
so by your logic,just because Samurais are WAY more popular than Spartans,they are better? yeah,great logic *roll eyes*
MisterGuyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MisterGuyMan
@Matezoide said:
"i barely study Sparta,just the basic :p so by your logic,just because Samurais are WAY more popular than Spartans,they are better? yeah,great logic *roll eyes* "
My point is that Spartans were not known for fighting singly.  Dueling is a prominent part of Bushido.  Musashi, one of the most famous samurai, would never bathe because opponents were distracted by the stench.  Some samurai would arrive late to duels just to irritate and fatigue an waiting opponent.  

Spartans focused on their hoplite formation training.  That's how they fought at their best.  Even your example was a stragetic one.  The hot gates would offer no advantage in a duel.  Besides, to Spartans, retreating would be a sign of weakness.  Hence he would never even dream of running away to a more advantageous position in a duel.  A samurai, as I mentioned, would do that to gain higher ground, put the sun in the opponenent's eyes or to just give the opponent worse footing.
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By capall
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"Samurai "
GhostPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GhostPool

Spartan.????If they have a shield and a Blade its enough to beat a Samurai even if a Samurai has a shield Spartans are like Juggernaut nothing can stop them when they start fighting
FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FLCL1
@InnerVenom123 said:
"Samurai. "
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By capall
@GhostPool said:
"Spartan.????If they have a shield and a Blade its enough to beat a Samurai even if a Samurai has a shield Spartans are like Juggernaut nothing can stop them when they start fighting "

this is a 1 on 1 battle, not i vs the spartans 
the samurai has more advanced weapons due to the fact that they have been more evolved than the spartans not to mention they have armour and given a deep and serious consideration that even if they maybe fairly comparable in terms of skills since they are both trained vigoursly the better tech would prevail here
Winduizcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Winduizcool
@GhostPool said:
" Spartan.????If they have a shield and a Blade its enough to beat a Samurai even if a Samurai has a shield Spartans are like Juggernaut nothing can stop them when they start fighting "
The Samurai have a weapon called the Kanabo. 

No Caption Provided
One hit with this on the shield then the Spartan's arm is broken. A samurai with arguably the best sword in the world with better sword training than a spartan alone kills the spartan in terms of sword fighting. In terms of the spears samurai wins too. The Naginata has more slicing power, a bigger sharp end, and the training of a samurai with the Naginata was better. Plus the Japenese were and probably still are smarter than Spartans/Greeks. 
GhostPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GhostPool
@capall said:
"@GhostPool said:
"Spartan.????If they have a shield and a Blade its enough to beat a Samurai even if a Samurai has a shield Spartans are like Juggernaut nothing can stop them when they start fighting "
this is a 1 on 1 battle, not i vs the spartans the samurai has more advanced weapons due to the fact that they have been more evolved than the spartans not to mention they have armour and given a deep and serious consideration that even if they maybe fairly comparable in terms of skills since they are both trained vigoursly the better tech would prevail here "

ohh i thought it was bunch a smaurais vs bunch of spartans
GhostPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GhostPool
@Winduizcool said:
" @GhostPool said:
" Spartan.????If they have a shield and a Blade its enough to beat a Samurai even if a Samurai has a shield Spartans are like Juggernaut nothing can stop them when they start fighting "
The Samurai have a weapon called the Kanabo. 

One hit with this on the shield then the Spartan's arm is broken. A samurai with arguably the best sword in the world with better sword training than a spartan alone kills the spartan in terms of sword fighting. In terms of the spears samurai wins too. The Naginata has more slicing power, a bigger sharp end, and the training of a samurai with the Naginata was better. Plus the Japenese were and probably still are smarter than Spartans/Greeks.  "

I would say that Japenese were smarter than Greeks better fighter 1on1 yes but not smarter non were smarter than Greek excpet of course egyptians
Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Andferne
@Winduizcool said:
" Samurai equipment: Katana,Wakizashi, Kanabo, and Naginata. 
Spartan equipment: Bronze Shield, spear, and Xiphos. "
Samurai
cly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cly

Samurai

Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zenma

The Spartans work as a single unit, their phalanx is a very powerful formation against large forces.

Individually the Spartan is at a disadvantage in swordsmanship, and duel, but has huge advantages when in a unit with Spartans

mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mv

Samurai are more skilled i believe

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Samurai....quite handily

Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zenma
@Lunacyde said:
" Samurai....quite handily "
one-one yes, but hundred-hundred, Spartan
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@Zenma: I still say no.
Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zenma
@Lunacyde: can't really compare to the Spartan's powerful phalanx which the samurais has never anticipated
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@Zenma: The phalanx went out of style for a reason. There are strategies ot very successfully counter a phalanx. The samurai were trained not only phyically, but mentally from a young age. They are by far the more skilled of the two. Of course where the battle takes place effects it but the samurai are superior. Superior weapons, skills, and centuries more knowledge, not to mention the samurai had gunpowder.
Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zenma
@Lunacyde: well in European region, but don't think the Asian region would even consider to counter the phalanx, but since you're putting gun powder in there, the Spartan has a lower chance of winning in a large scale war. Though the battle would just be a sea of blood.