#1 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

<p>How is it any different from Superman making Darkseid beg for quarter, or Thor sending Galactus running for his life? Why is it dismissed completely? Odin is accepted as a galaxy buster due to one feat that exceeds his others, and is nonsensical when you think about it (why didn't the galaxy explode when he blasted Thanos?)</p><p>I admit, it's probably not meant to be taken literally, but to throw it out null and void? How is that fair?</p>

#2 Posted by randumo24 (4654 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you trying to ask why people dismiss the supernova's move power? Because if that's what you mean, then it's a pretty easy answer if you know what a supernova actually is. Instead of explaining it to you myself, watch this to learn about supernovas.

#3 Edited by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

If we agree to Safer Sephiroth's Supernova not being a mere illusion (which I'm under the impression it is, considering he's a powerful illusion caster) then we also must agree to the fact that Cloud Strife, Tifa Lockhart, Red XIII, Yuffie Kisaragi, Barret Wallace, Cait Sith (who was proven he couldn't survive a city busting attack), Cid Highwind, and Vincent Valentine have a durability high enough to tank a Solar System busting attack. We also have to agree to the idea that Sephiroth destroyed the entire Solar System, and because of this we have to agree that the events of Final Fantasy 7: On the Way to a Smile, Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, and Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus never happened, because Sephiroth destroyed the Solar System by causing a Supernova.

I can provide dozens to hundreds of feats proving that all the events post FF7 actually happened, and that none of these characters have Solar System tanking abilities, and etc.

But I can also provide several feats proving Sephiroth is a high class illusion caster and telepath.

Over and above this, Supernova actually causes CONFUSION, SILENCE, and SLOW.

Finally, we have to accept the concept that Sephiroth can conjure a Star busting Meteorite with a wave of his hand. If he can do that so effortlessly, why didn't he just summon a damn comet to slam into the planet, instead of going through all the trouble of getting the Black Materia? That's right, why? Because he CAN'T do attacks on that level.

Everything about the attack compared to FF7 continuity points to it either being A) A mental/illusionary attack (which makes the most sense considering the status effects), or B) It's a gameplay mechanic.

Sephiroth didn't destroy the planet (yes, the FF7 universe takes place on Earth, and the solar system shown to be destroyed IS our Solar System, with Earth/Saturn/etc), and all the events Post-FF7 actually happened.

He's not a Solar System buster, lets face facts. And I've played the game a LOT, I mean...too much. If anyone has played the game as much as I have, you've played it too many times. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm an extremely biased FF7 fanboy who is way too fanatical about the game, and probably shouldn't have obsessed over it as much as I did. But come on, it's clearly not meant to be a real supernova.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#4 Edited by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

My point is, it's still a powerful attack but people dismiss it as just an illusion. Also, it cannot kill as it deals percentage damage.

#5 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, Lobo has shown numerous times that destroying planets is within his capabilities, yet he needed a nuke on a fault line at a certain time to destroy Earth. Is he less than planetary because of that?

#6 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, Lobo has shown numerous times that destroying planets is within his capabilities, yet he needed a nuke on a fault line at a certain time to destroy Earth. Is he less than planetary because of that?

Final Fantasy 7 isn't long enough to have that many inconsistencies.

Besides, even assuming the effects of Supernova are prominent, it would still be one of the weaker attacks in his arsenal to be completely honest. Especially when he can KO the Harbinger of Death with his mental assaults alone, and that's while he's trapped outside of his physical body, and especially when planetary level empaths/telepaths are scared to confront him in their home territory.

Even going off of gameplay "percentage damage" attacks, Supernova doesn't come close to his most powerful attack.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#7 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

The planet is never actually shown destroyed by Supernova. And Crisis Core refers to it as Sephiroth's most powerful attack, even normal Sephiroth who has Heartless Angel. I mean, sure it's fanboyism of me, but could it be possible that illusion or not, it's incredibly (if not solar system busting) potent?

#8 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

The planet is never actually shown destroyed by Supernova. And Crisis Core refers to it as Sephiroth's most powerful attack, even normal Sephiroth who has Heartless Angel. I mean, sure it's fanboyism of me, but could it be possible that illusion or not, it's incredibly (if not solar system busting) potent?

It's potent, but even as an illusion, I'd argue it's one of his least powerful illusions.

This is the same Sephiroth who can send people into illusionary nightmares on a whim, or send them into complete and utter blackness, KO a group with super soldiers/the harbinger of death in an instant via telepathy, or rip their soul from their body if needed. This is the same guy who can infest a person with his mother's genes, and then control their body and suppress their health with sheer will power, and do this across an entire planet.

I mean, Supernova is good, but it doesn't even compare to the other things this guy can do if he feels like it. Assuming Supernova is his limit break (which was hinted by a commoner in Crisis Core), this would be his limit break before he was dipped in the lifestream, and expanded his power by unknown quantities.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#9 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

I can dig it. Say, Floopay, what are your thoughts on Kingdom Hearts?

#10 Posted by Rozalia (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Sephiroth's Supernova is clearly a psychological attack (and an effective one at that), he does however possess a smaller one which is shown as his strongest attack in Dissidia. Crisis Core mentions Supernova as Sephiroth's most lethal attack so either Sephiroth was going around giving people the illusion that the sun was going supernova when on his missions or he was just swallowing them up in a massive I assume magical explosion.

Also I'd like to mention in response to Floopay the whole "have a durability high enough to tank a Solar System busting attack" cannot be used as evidence against something. In FF8 Ultimecia has an attack called...Grand attracter? Where she shoots out four magical beams at four different planets and then using her arms (well her Junctioned beast's) to pull all four planets at high speeds to smash into each other with you in the middle...while OP in appearance..its damage is quite bad.
This attack is not an illusion and its not even plagued by things Supernova is either as you don't fight her on earth but instead in the space where time is being compressed.

Either we credit Squall as having planetary level durability or we chalk it as gameplay mechanics (the damage) and leave Ultimecia with her strength feat.

#11 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

Total fanboy stretch: Sephiroth needed the Planet wounded but intact. He obviously doesn't destroy the planet. What if he's using an attack that is being held back (hence why it can never kill anyone) and recreates the damage he causes to the rest of the star system? Just a theory.

#12 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

Total fanboy stretch: Sephiroth needed the Planet wounded but intact. He obviously doesn't destroy the planet. What if he's using an attack that is being held back (hence why it can never kill anyone) and recreates the damage he causes to the rest of the star system? Just a theory.

Doubt it, Sephiroth wasn't as powerful as Aerith, and she was only a planetary level powerhouse. Though he was still ridiculous and intimidating.

Also, Kingdom Hearts was pretty cool. Though I don't care for the FF7 stuff in it, but they're non-cannon with FF7 anyway, so who really cares.

@rozalia said:

Sephiroth's Supernova is clearly a psychological attack (and an effective one at that), he does however possess a smaller one which is shown as his strongest attack in Dissidia. Crisis Core mentions Supernova as Sephiroth's most lethal attack so either Sephiroth was going around giving people the illusion that the sun was going supernova when on his missions or he was just swallowing them up in a massive I assume magical explosion.

Also I'd like to mention in response to Floopay the whole "have a durability high enough to tank a Solar System busting attack" cannot be used as evidence against something. In FF8 Ultimecia has an attack called...Grand attracter? Where she shoots out four magical beams at four different planets and then using her arms (well her Junctioned beast's) to pull all four planets at high speeds to smash into each other with you in the middle...while OP in appearance..its damage is quite bad.

This attack is not an illusion and its not even plagued by things Supernova is either as you don't fight her on earth but instead in the space where time is being compressed.

Either we credit Squall as having planetary level durability or we chalk it as gameplay mechanics (the damage) and leave Ultimecia with her strength feat.

You also have to fight Ultimecia in a weird dimension where all the laws of physics may not be functioning fully, and who knows what she's doing that's real, not real, an illusion, a physical/magical/illusion attack or whatever. That's another instance where people take a gameplay feat, and assume it to be more than it very well may be. It was clearly established that she was pretty much in her home realm, or at least in an area where her magic was at the peak of it's power. Illusions, mental attacks, and etc. aren't outside of the realms of magic, nor was time/space manipulation.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#13 Posted by TifaLockhart (14044 posts) - - Show Bio

I like when Zell does Flash's super move from Injustice. Run around the world to deliver a punch.

#14 Edited by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

I like when Zell does Flash's super move from Injustice. Run around the world to deliver a punch.

I really enjoyed FF8, despite the crappy combat system. So that's saying a lot for the story, and characters.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay