Revan vs Kyle Katarn - Lightsaber Duel

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Petranaki arena, start 15 feet apart. All feats apply, both in their combative prime. Lightsaber and physical offence only.

Fight to the death, KO or incap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova @jedixman @dccomicsrule2011

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nice, thread. Real nice.

I'm taking Kyle, though it could go either way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: Yeah, they seem about as evenly matched as you can get. Glad you like the thread :p

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BoringPerson

Kyle Katarn. Revan's never struck me as much of a duelist.

More a strategist and master of particular force powers.

Who am I kidding?

Beard solos.

106me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@106me: All feats apply, so yes.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jacthripper

Katarn is the superior duelist

and his beard solos

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheVivas

Revan gets my vote of confidence

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mhhh i think i mite be leaning towards revan just cause i wanna be a rebel. However, I don't think revan can match kyle in force powers since their both in their prime and there isn't a whole lot of feats for revan per say compared to kyle. With that in mind ill have to side with kyle for the time being. Granted force isn't everything, but i feel that kyle could also out duel revan as well in saber to saber combat ^^. Kyle's beard is out beat though by revan's style

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan IMO.

Jmarshmallow

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mhhh i think i mite be leaning towards revan just cause i wanna be a rebel. However, I don't think revan can match kyle in force powers since their both in their prime and there isn't a whole lot of feats for revan per say compared to kyle. With that in mind ill have to side with kyle for the time being. Granted force isn't everything, but i feel that kyle could also out duel revan as well in saber to saber combat ^^. Kyle's beard is out beat though by revan's style

Actually it's quite the opposite. Revan has much better Force feats. While Kyle displays impressive versatility, and has a huge array of techniques mastered, Revan is still no slouch in that department. Revan has shown the capability to channel enough Force energy to partially heal deep burns from a Force Lightning, which's energy was implied to be stronger than that turning a human being (Sith being, in reality, lol) to ash. He was capable of absorbing and rechanneling said energy of the ash-burning Force Lightning minutes after being freed from years of imprisoning. He could create a barrier of Force energy dense enough to repel attacks from four TOR Imperial protagonists, and was capable of throwing several small meteors from the sky (albeit gravity was on his side, as he was throwing them DOWN, which should be noted).

Both Kyle and Revan actually have a similiar number of options when it comes to channeling Force energy. Telekinesis in different sorts, mind tricks, protection, etc. They're roughly equal in that area, but Kyle's best showing is supporting a castle ceiling for a few seconds - very good, bot not quite Revan level, even though there isn't a very huge difference. Still, Revan looks as more powerful than Kyle.

In terms of saber ability, which is the topic... I'm inclined to believe Kyle would take a majority, but not large. I have to think more about it.

Aressword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

106me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan.

Though, both are underrated in my opinion.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Revan should win every time, but if this is a lightsaber duel only, I'll have to say Kyle's feats are marginally superior. Revan does have a strong level of precognitive abilities that could easily give him the edge as well.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

You have to see this one, JXM. It has two of your favorite characters.

@jedixman

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17 JediXMan  Moderator

Only lightsaber and physical combat? Kyle, absolutely. He is an incredibly fast, versatile duelist. He is also physically strong and durable.

I have not had time to scan the images. However, in two scans, he gets into a physical fist fight with a Yuuzhan Vong warrior. He is also able to kick a that Vong warrior far enough that he was out of range of the explosive. He is also known to incorporate martial arts into lightsaber combat

Stupid as it may be, we still have to acknowledge the fact that Kyle beat somebody who gave Luke marginal trouble (my assessment of that battle is that Luke was holding back significantly in that battle, and was simply taken off guard briefly).

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Somebody told me Kyle beat Luke in a sparring match before. Do you have evidence of that, or do you agree with me that that's just balderdash?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: Somebody told me Kyle beat Luke in a sparring match before. Do you have evidence of that, or do you agree with me that that's just balderdash?

I have a hard time believing that; I certainly don't recall it, at any rate. The only explanation would be that it was a training session, and Kyle surprised Luke. I could see that, but I doubt he actually beat him. Luke outclasses him in every single way (which can be said about... 99% of Star Wars characters, to be fair).

If memory serves, there was a rehearsal where a team of Jedi ambushed Luke to prepare for the Caedus, fight, but I don't recall how that went.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: You mean in Fury? Kyle didn't spar anybody, he just practiced by himself.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: You mean in Fury? Kyle didn't spar anybody, he just practiced by himself.

I seem to recall a scene where some Jedi ambushed Luke, but it might have been a separate event. Actually, now that I think about it, I think Kyp or Corran was present during that match, but they were not with the team that attacked Caedus, therefore it probably was preparation for something else. It might have been in Revelations, planning for another attack. But I don't recall; been awhile.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Kyp was sparring Luke with Cilghal and they both lost.

Corran was sparring Saba Sebatyne - we only got snippets regarding their fight and no victor was ever noted, and they were more or less interrupted anyway.

Darth_Necray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan should get stomped here no? Revan's saber skills have always been mediocre and Katarn is great with his blade.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

@i_like_swords: its been a while for me but doesnt Kyle have some of the best dueling feats like ever. like i said its been a few years since i picked up a Star Wars book, but i always remember him being one of the better duelists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: Best ever? Certainly not. He's on the lower end of being a tier 8 duelist, or somewhere in the range of tier 7. His best feats are defeating 7 reasonably skilled Dark Jedi without any real training, defeating Vong warriors and being a "threat" to Caedus. But he isn't exactly rolling in feats when it comes to dueling other top tier duelists. In my mind he can provide some challenge to someone like Kenobi or Maul but he isn't winning more than 3 rounds out of 10.

For reference, Obi-Wan would be a solid tier 8 duelist while Anakin or Mace Windu would be a 9.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: hmm like i said it has been a while but i always remember his as being a pretty skilled duelist. i really need to re-read some of my books

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: Well, he is skilled relatively speaking. But I can still think of plenty of more skilled duelists.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: well sure theres the obvious ones like Windu, Yoda, Skywalker, ect. but for a non-main character his skills are pretty legit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: Eh. Off the top of my head, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, Sassae Tiin, Quinlan Vos, Sora Bulq, Revan, Plagueis, Caedus, Lumiya are all better or at least as good as him. And if we include mainstream characters, Obi Wan, Anakin, Windu, Dooku, Maul, Ventress, Sidious, Yoda, Vader, Luke from RotJ onward ect are all better than him. Like I said, he's good but there are plenty who are just as good or better.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By serrure

@i_like_swords: i dont think Revan is better than him.

@serrure: Eh. Off the top of my head, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, Sassae Tiin, Quinlan Vos, Sora Bulq, Revan, Plagueis, Caedus, Lumiya are all better or at least as good as him. And if we include mainstream characters, Obi Wan, Anakin, Windu, Dooku, Maul, Ventress, Sidious, Yoda, Vader, Luke from RotJ onward ect are all better than him. Like I said, he's good but there are plenty who are just as good or better.

1. Ehh maybe like i said i need to re-read allot of crap

2. duh

3. not sure who that is

4. see 1

5. really?

6. see 3

7. naw id put Kyle above him

8-10. Duh with a capital D

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShootingNova

@i_like_swords: I doubt Quinlan is more skilful than Kyle. Kyle is probably at least somewhat close to Maul. Beating Vong warriors, beating a myriad of Dark Jedi with minimal training, beating Jeng Droga, and being considerably superior to Valin Horn, who fought closely to Corran Horn in Outcast (Corran was fighting defensively, but probably not holding back). Corran is at least as skilful as Quinlan/Qui-Gon, to be honest. He has beaten Gantoris, beaten Jensaari, beaten Yuuzhan Vong warriors, beaten high-tier Yuuzhan Vong characters such as Shedao Shai (which is a good showing, because the higher, more notable Yuuzhan Vong can be extremely dangerous ie. Tsavong Lah challenging Jaina, Onimi wrecking Jaina, Shimmra Jamaane nearly killing Luke). Frankly, I see Corran as on par with Qui-Gon in skill. Valin Horn was at least on a similar tier in skill, whereas Kyle was at least a tier ahead of Valin based on Caedus's own assessment (which I find to be fair), so he is more skilful than Corran, which makes him somewhat more skilful than Qui-Gon.

Kyle is probably minimally inferior to Obi-Wan as a tier 8 duelist.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I doubt Quinlan is more skilful than Kyle. Kyle is probably at least somewhat close to Maul. Beating Vong warriors, beating a myriad of Dark Jedi with minimal training, beating Jeng Droga, and being considerably superior to Valin Horn, who fought closely to Corran Horn in Outcast (Corran was fighting defensively, but probably not holding back). Corran is at least as skilful as Quinlan/Qui-Gon, to be honest. He has beaten Gantoris, beaten Jensaari, beaten Yuuzhan Vong warriors, beaten high-tier Yuuzhan Vong characters such as Shedao Shai (which is a good showing, because the higher, more notable Yuuzhan Vong can be extremely dangerous ie. Tsavong Lah challenging Jaina, Onimi wrecking Jaina, Shimmra Jamaane nearly killing Luke). Frankly, I see Corran as on par with Qui-Gon in skill. Valin Horn was at least on a similar tier in skill, whereas Kyle was at least a tier ahead of Valin based on Caedus's own assessment (which I find to be fair), so he is more skilful than Corran, which makes him somewhat more skilful than Qui-Gon.

Kyle is probably minimally inferior to Obi-Wan as a tier 8 duelist.

I'm in full agreement with most of this reasoning, but I'm not sure why you believe Valin to be on a similiar level to Corran. Why is that?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart: In Outcast, they were fighting roughly evenly. IIRC, Corran held back somewhat, but not exponentially. I can't remember at the moment, but I think he only fought defensively, which isn't holding back too much.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wut

@jkbart: Actually... no... gravity was not helping. They were on a space station, not a planet. A space station would not have nearly a large enough gravitational pull to make much of a difference. (Unless it is like... a Death Star Space Station.)

That was all him.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut said:

@jkbart: Actually... no... gravity was not helping. They were on a space station, not a planet. A space station would not have nearly a large enough gravitational pull to make much of a difference. (Unless it is like... a Death Star Space Station.)

That was all him.

Weren't the Foundries (like Star Forge) supposed to be of that epic scale too? Not as gigantic as Death Star, but a tier below that.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wut

@jkbart: The Star Forge is very large, but the foundry was a space station built inside of a large asteroid. If it had the gravitational pull to attract other asteroids in the belt... that would have been a major design flaw. :P

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

kyle

106me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_necray: I wouldn't say Revan's dueling is mediocre. He's just more of a talented duelist than an actually skilled duelist (not that he doesn't have any skill at all, it's just not nearly as pronounced as many other force users). Overall, he is fairly good, just not a top ten duelist or anything.

However, his dueling isn't what will win him the fight. Although his saber abilities will keep Katarn from pressuring him, it's his force abilities that are on a whole other level than Katarn's. Although Katarn's force abilities are fair, it's not anywhere near Revan's, and his dueling skills aren't enough to close the gap between him and Revan, IMO.

Darth_Necray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@106me: this is a saber only fight, and I've never seen anything spectacular from his Lightsaber skills. He shines when it comes to the use of the force, and even then I don't think he could beat Katarn in an all out duel

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@106me said:

I wouldn't say Revan's dueling is mediocre. He's just more of a talented duelist than an actually skilled duelist (not that he doesn't have any skill at all, it's just not nearly as pronounced as many other force users). Overall, he is fairly good, just not a top ten duelist or anything.

However, his dueling isn't what will win him the fight. Although his saber abilities will keep Katarn from pressuring him, it's his force abilities that are on a whole other level than Katarn's. Although Katarn's force abilities are fair, it's not anywhere near Revan's, and his dueling skills aren't enough to close the gap between him and Revan, IMO.

I'd agree with most of this but you didn't read the OP. This is blade combat only.

Avatar image for redsithdisciple
RedSithDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle shreds him before he can grab his hilt