dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dane

The new location:

Climate and time of day=What it is in the video. The place is quiet except for a few sounds of birds and wind. 
 The area has not yet been demolished by ^ those two. There is no colossus involved in the area.

Now for the new rules.
  • You do not know of your opponents location.
  • You do not know of your opponents abilities.
  • No leaving the map.
  • The pillars and walls are destructible, but the surrounding rock is invulnerable and cannot be phased through.
  • The hero option is...no longer an option. That was a one time deal (congrats to Nexus for being the only one who got it)

Mutant413 (Human)

Healing factor and adamantium skeleton - 300
Adamantium claws - 200
Blast vision - 300
Mind reading - 200  

vs

Dane (Colossus)

Phasing (200)
Daredevil's Radar Senses (200)
Vibranium Suit (200)
Sonic Grenades (50)
Muramasa Blade (250)
Predator Throwing Disc (100)
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dane

um, opening points:

1. While phased, a person's mind can't be read since their brain is no longer physical so his mind reading for the most part won't work on me. 

2. My Daredevil's hearing should pick him up pretty quickly so I'll have the heads up on where he's going to be and when. Due to the weight of his metal bones, I will be able to tell he has an adamantium skeleton just from his footfalls. (have scans of DD's senses for anyone who would like them). Since a person would die of metal poisoning without a healing factor, I think it's safe to say I would assume he has one. So off the bat I would know a lot more about his powers than he would know of mine.

3. My Vibranium Suit will absorb his optic blasts even if I'm not phased. So he can't hurt me from a distance at all.

4. The only way he can hurt me is up close and I can just phase through his attacks and unphase the Muramasa Blade into his chest, shut his healing factor down, take it out and walk away.

5. Even if he's reluctant to engage in melee or he takes to climbing on pillars, I can just throw a sonic grenade up, blow his ear drums out and watch him fall off. Anyone who has had their inner-ear fluid damaged can probably relate to how fun that is.

6. Alternatively I could use the Predator Disc to trim his Achilles tendons and knock him off.

I'll wait for Mutant413 before continuing.

Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 

1. While phased, a person's mind can't be read since their brain is no longer physical so his mind reading for the most part won't work on me.  

I'm not sure I can allow this, it just seems unfair.

Everything else seems fine though.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dane
@Retnex said:
" @Dane: 

I'm not sure I can allow this, it just seems unfair.  Everything else seems fine though. "

Well I'm sorry but I was told this is Kitty Pryde's phasing. I can get scans proving that telepaths cannot read her mind or even detect her presence when she is phased if you like. I really don't think it's fair if you get to choose what aspects of a power you like and which ones you don't. I chose that power for it's tactical advantages and I don't think I should be penalized if someone else doesn't know as much as I do about a powerset.  I don't need it to win here but picking and choosing what you like and what you don't like about powers a week after I've selected it doesn't seem right. 

How am I supposed to know you don't like intangible characters being immune to telepathy? Despite it being a canon part of Kitty's powers since her first appearance.

Are there any other things you just don't like about my character that I should know about? I would really prefer if you announced any alterations to powers before we selected them.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 
Ahem.

This is Kittys powers. I chose characters relative to powers that are the most well know for them. But every power is simple and basic, phasing is just for going through solid objects. I understand that some powers go into greater detail, but in this tournament everything is simplified. I.E. Your opponent has Prof. X's mind reading capabilities, but cannot erase your memory.

I chose based on what I believe is fair to the tournament as a whole, not on personal preference. Phasing is phasing, not the ability to block mental readings or even walk on the air. Why? Because then those powers would cost much more and would have to be described in detail. It's easier if we just say you can phase through walls and even the ground. Had you any questions on the extent of these powers, you should have asked me before hand.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dane
@Retnex said:
" @Dane:  Ahem.  This is Kittys powers. I chose characters relative to powers that are the most well know for them. But every power is simple and basic, phasing is just for going through solid objects. I understand that some powers go into greater detail, but in this tournament everything is simplified. I.E. Your opponent has Prof. X's mind reading capabilities, but cannot erase your memory.  I chose based on what I believe is fair to the tournament as a whole, not on personal preference. Phasing is phasing, not the ability to block mental readings or even walk on the air. Why? Because then those powers would cost much more and would have to be described in detail. It's easier if we just say you can phase through walls and even the ground. Had you any questions on the extent of these powers, you should have asked me before hand. "
Hogwash. Mind Reading is a very clear and concise term. Literally the ability to read minds and nothing more. 

Kitty Pryde doesn't mentally block anything. This is a direct result of her brain being phased from physical substance to intangible substance. They can't affect her mind because her brain isn't physically there when she phases. My apologies, but I assumed that "phasing" meant her ability to phase her body and by obvious extension, her own brain.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Retnex
@Dane:
Someone has already questioned me on mind reading regarding the extent of the ability, I forget who. 

A mental thought will exist even if the brain is phased. Kitty still exist she just isn't solid. Since a mental reading does not regard physical contact it will not be affected by phasing, not in this tournament. 

A lot of people have had questions concerning powers, and I tried to use fair reasoning in my decision making. They have all been very good sports about it and understanding, you have already stated that you don't need the added mental protection to win this, so you should too.  
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dane
@Retnex said:
" @Dane: Someone has already questioned me on mind reading regarding the extent of the ability, I forget who.   A mental thought will exist even if the brain is phased. Kitty still exist she just isn't solid. Since a mental reading does not regard physical contact it will not be affected by phasing, not in this tournament.   A lot of people have had questions concerning powers, and I tried to use fair reasoning in my decision making. They have all been very good sports about it and understanding, you have already stated that you don't need the added mental protection to win this, so you should too.   "
I don't. But the mind reading is based on Charles Xavier and the phasing on Kitty Pryde. As it is a fact that Charles Xavier cannot use mind reading on Kitty Pryde when she is phased I naturally assumed that phasing was the only counter available for mind reading. Doesn't that make sense to you? I mean sonic grenades are the counter to DD's hearing. The M-Blade is a counter to healing factors. Vibranium Suits are a counter for energy based weapons or powers, bullets, etc. Phasing is a counter to telepathy and physical damage.

Your interpretation of both Charles Xavier and Kitty Pryde's powers are in complete direct contradiction to their canon appearances in comics. You can at least see why I'm surprised and don't understand right?
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 
I never meant for phasing to counter telepathy. It was meant to counter physical damage only. 

I'm sorry that it doesn't counter telepathy as it does in the comics. But when most people think of Kitty Prides' phasing, they don't think of any kind of mental protection. I never thought to put something up to block telepathy, if I had it would be a helmet like Magnetos. You obviously have a deeper understanding of Kitty Pride and her powers, but please do realize that I'm trying to keep things within the common area of understanding. If I were to list in great detail the "do's and dont's" of every power, it would take a large amount of space.  I thought that if there where any significant additional abilities to a power, they would be brought up and I would decide whether they where relevant to the power enough to be used here.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dane
@Retnex: Well, I just assume since she's always been immune to telepaths that it was part of what we were getting. I didn't think you'd add a power that has literally no possible counter, that seems really strange considering it's one of the cheapest possible powers you can get. 

I mean it costs the same as Daredevil's hearing and that can be countered by banging two trash can lids together. Why would mind reading be the same price if it lets them not only know where you are at any given time (the exact functionality of radar-sense), but also let's them know your attacks before you make them (Mr. X style) which negates any martial arts they could buy, any weapon skills and cannot possibly be circumvented. I feel kind of ripped off.

Also, Magneto's helmet doesn't resist telepathy. He uses his own willpower and strength of mind. But I know where you're coming from.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 
One counter to it is to have mind reading as well, lol. 

But true, it has no significant counter and is cheap. The reason it is cheap is because I thought it would be used to discover the enemies plan. When people used it to locate their enemy, I didn't argue because that is a fair assumption. As far as negating martial arts, I don't believe a unskilled fighter can stop a skilled one from defeating him just because he can read his mind. Just because you can see the punch coming, doesn't always mean you can stop it. Radar hearing gives you a layout of the land as well, so it has that advantage. 

That's the best I got, I'm genuinely sorry for the confusion. In the future, if one of these are ever made again, I will collaborate with some others on the extent and cost of the powers/items/abilities ect, and make sure they are all shared before hand.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dane
@Retnex: I really think since virtually everything else can be countered with a 50 point grenade, the fact that I chose phasing to counter mind reading, with all accuracy to canon in place I should be allowed to use the power how it truly is considering I spent 200 points to do so. The lay of the land is presented in a map to us, DD's radar-sense provides only the means to locate our enemy. Even that can easily be countered by a vibranium suit or a sonic/flashbang grenade so I really do consider this poor form to give a power of equal cost no counter. Counter-Mind Reading still wouldn't stop them from locating me since I'd have to use my willpower to resist them.

I'm extremely disappointed in your decision and in your balancing here.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 
Your hero isn't given a map. Vibranium suits don't affect Daredevils Radar sense in anyway, even if he is wearing it. Which has been discussed. 

Mind reading can locate the enemy and discover their plan. It's more of a strategy power than offensive/defensive, so I made it cheap. You shouldn't get so caught up in it.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dane
@Retnex said:

" @Dane:  Your hero isn't given a map. Vibranium suits don't affect Daredevils Radar sense in anyway, even if he is wearing it. Which has been discussed.   Mind reading can locate the enemy and discover their plan. It's more of a strategy power than offensive/defensive, so I made it cheap. You shouldn't get so caught up in it. "

Vibranium Suits make your footsteps silent and hold in the sound of your heart beating etc. Mind Reading in the vein of Charles Xavier is not limited to locating an enemy (already a power worth 200 points) and discovering their plan (an ability without peer in this scenario). It takes an incredibly disciplined and skilled fighter to perform an action without consciously thinking about it. I've been doing martial arts for nearly a decade and I won't pretend I'm capable of that feat here, because that's bullsh#t. It still stands that you have made an extremely cheap power that I cannot, even with a power that directly cancels it, counter-act due to your own personal and completely erroneous view of that power.

I won't apologize for using well thought out and strategically intelligent thinking in a scenario thread. 

You have essentially given every character with Mind Reading (most characters) a 100% bullet proof argument against any character who doesn't also have Mind Reading. What is there that I can do that he can't say "oh I read your mind and dodge it?" Nothing. Ever. I chose the only logical counter to this and it's been stripped from me because you don't like Kitty Pryde's powers. Garbage.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Retnex
@Dane:
You have a vibranium suit and DareDevils radar hearing, but they don't interfere with each other. That's how were going about this, Vibranium wont affect sound.

If you don't have the agility or the reflexes to dodge a bullet, you wont dodge a bullet. Even if you hear, "I'm gonna shoot this guy now". I believe the same can be said with punches and kicks coming from a skilled martial artist. If someone argues that they will dodge every attack with mind reading without the proper means of doing so, I hope you can counter it yourself.

You seriously think it's because I don't like it that I don't allow it. I'm not doing this for you or me, I'm doing this for the tournament.
Does this really affect you so much that you can't get over it? He can read your mind, so what. You have plenty of ways of taking him down. 
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dane
@Retnex: Are you quite f*cking serious? Vibranium doesn't affect sound? What?

ok, I understand you didn't know Kitty wasn't affected by telepaths while phased. It doesn't make this even vaguely fair that I should have the ability I bought dramatically reduced because you don't understand the powers you put into your thread and didn't bother researching them. But I understood.

Now vibranium doesn't affect sound. Get out. There is no way you've ever seen vibranium used and still don't understand it absorbs sound. That is flat out screwy. 

What do you mean he can read my mind, so what? He knows everything I'm going to do. I built a stealth character and now it has no stealth whatsoever because you don't know how Kitty Pryde's powers work.

You're doing this for the tournament? what planet do you live on where this is balanced and fair? I've already told you mind reading in this instance does the same thing as another power of equal cost and then literally 2 other things NO OTHER POWER DOES. Why would it logically cost the same? Why would I even buy DD's senses if I knew Mind Reading does what you say and can't be countered?

You can't be f*cking serious. How the hell am I supposed to know you think Kitty Pryde's Phasing works THE EXACT OPPOSITE to how it really works against telepaths? How the hell am I supposed to know you think Vibranium has THE EXACT OPPOSITE reaction to sound waves to what it really has? Why would you assume I know what is in your head when it is completely, unequivocally THE OPPOSITE of true!?

Maybe next time you make a tournament you can put a star next to all the powers and items that work THE OPPOSITE WAY OF HOW THEY REALLY WORK. Thanks, that'd help heaps.

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By DedmanWalkin

@Dane, he is doing pretty much the same thing you have done to me on a number of occasions. I come across an eventuality that you hadn't considered and you clamp down on it restricting it after the fact. The fact is that Retnex is not omniscient and cannot foresee the unorthodox combinations we can possibly come up with and should not be harangued for such. As I have been in your situation many times before, I understand your rage and in some ways empathize with it.

Mind reading can be countered by more than just mind reading, Feral for 150 points would make your mind thoroughly unreadable. Electricity Control could also make reading your mind difficult to read by creating the mental static like Storm does to resist mind control. Animal Shifting could likewise make you immune given that Professor X can't read animal minds. Pheromones would also be a good counter as they would allow you to make someone think they think they know what you are thinking despite not knowing. Now phasing is one of the few powers that actually has no hard counters. Sure a sonic grenade may cause you to destabilize and certain metals may bring the pain but it won't stop you from phasing your Muramasa into someone, just make it more difficult. Every other power on the list has at least one hard counter and multiple soft counters but Phasing only has soft counters. 

Realistically, if the vibranium negates sound then you would not be able to use your enhanced senses. Simply put, if you want to use your enhanced senses then you have to be vulnerable to sonic grenades and sonic screams. Now as for making you more stealthy, I see no reason why it couldn't dampen your heartbeat and movement. I think this is what Retnex means, though I may be wrong.

Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 
In Luna and Ferro's debate it was decided that the suit can't affect the users senses. That's why I assumed it can't affect the senses of the opponent, but if it does dampen the heart beat and cause no sound what-so-ever from simply moving, then that sounds fair enough.

You wanna know how to tell is a certain power doesn't come with all the extra bells and whistles? You wanna know how to tell what I'm thinking? Here's how you do it.
You ask me. I tell you. 

Your simply upset because phasing doesn't come with a extra resistance to mind control. But let me ask you this, would your character be phased all the time from the beginning of the match to the end? Your character has no way of knowing that the opponent has mind reading abilities, so why would you spend all your time in a phased mode unless you thought you were in complete danger? He'll be hearing your every thought as you scan the area, the only time he won't is if you phase through a wall for about .5 seconds. It wouldn't even matter because he would know your general location and head that way, probably seeing you in that open field. 

You have many other ways on how you can win this, your debate is with Mutant413 not me. You don't have to like my methods, you can even hate them but your taking it too seriously and need to relax.   
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dane
@DedmanWalkin: Dude, that may be true but I have always done my best to clarify powers and the restrictions I would impose. Here I'm able to use a power except it will only work in the way he thinks it does, which is the opposite to how it really works? what? I've spent hours upon hours of my life researching the equipment and powers you've come up with in my threads. I'm sorry if that hasn't always been good enough for you but I put a lot of effort into understanding what goes in before I unveil the scenarios. 

As far as counters go, you can call it a soft counter, but there are a couple of 50 point grenades that would easily dephase me. The powers you mentioned to counter mind reading cost 150, 250, 300 and 300 respectively. That's a lot more than 50 dude. Mind Reading only costs 200 to start with and people should spend 300 trying to counter it? That doesn't make any sense. I'm sure phasing isn't a fun power to debate against but if he didn't want it working how it works he shouldn't have put it in the tournament. You can say I've tried to change things after the fact in my threads but I wouldn't never offer you something up and then try to tell you how it should work afterwards. There may be powers or items you've used that I have never seen in comics and I've had to go off wiki entries or other people's explanations and sometimes those aren't accurate enough for me to understand them properly. On the other hand, you habitually try to use powers and items that are way out of the boundaries I have established in numerous threads. This isn't the same thing. I'm not looking for a cheap win or anything here, I very obviously tried to build a character that has both powers, skills and items in unison based on his very specific structured rules. Now I'm told that isn't possible because Retnex doesn't like how very well established canon works. That isn't right.

@Retnex: I really can't accept that vibranium can't absorb sound when it's original usage was against Klaw, a guy who fires off sound waves. That doesn't make sense to me. These are not extra bells and whistles, this is the original primary attribute of the substance. 

Why would I ask you if vibranium absorbs sound? I already know that it does and since it's in your scenario I assumed that you did too. 

You also seem to be under the impression Kitty Pryde can only phase for 5 seconds at a time. She can phase for as long as she wants as long as she isn't inside a solid object. I've already stated in my other debates that it would be my contention to stay phased for as long as possible for stealth reasons. That's exactly what I would do here. Since I know I'm in a life or death battle, call me a coward but I wouldn't have to know what he can do to want to be phased. Apart from a few abilities it's just regular me with a sword. Some dude in an Iron Man suit could fly along at mach 10 and ruin my sh#t.

I have absolutely no problem with you personally. But this is your tournament, you have put in powers and equipment while under the impression that they work the opposite of how they really work. That is a pretty big oversight when people think they work normally. I'm not upset about phasing not coming with 'extra resistance' to mind control. There is no extra, thats what it does. It's like web fluid coming with the 'bonus feature' of sticking to walls. I'm sorry but when you write "Kitty Pryde's Phasing" please have an idea on how Kitty Pryde's phasing works next time.

I don't have a problem with this battle, but if you keep chopping and changing how everything works then how am I supposed to build a balanced character? Don't say I should ask you when your 'hidden flaws' work the opposite of years of canon. That doesn't make sense dude.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Retnex
@Dane: 
Matezoide and I have determined that sonic grenades cannot affect vibranium suits, I'm willing to accept that it can block out noise as well. 

I know Kitty can stayed phased (we've decided on an hour maximum of continuous phasing) but I didn't know your plan was to stay phased for stealth reasons. That strategy is acceptable. 

Just because they can't resist telepathy doesn't mean they work the exact opposite of how they really work. I said phasing, you can phase through solid objects as it suggest. I didn't mean for it to extend to the point where it can also prevent telepathy.  
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dane
@Retnex: That's acceptable. It shouldn't take an hour for any fight, I'm not going to try and rambo him with some home made traps or something. 

Either way, I made my arguments already, obviously sans-telepathy resistance. Even if he can read my mind I don't think he can really do anything to stop me. Knowing that I am coming for him won't tell him that I'm inside pillars or anything. I'll just wait for him to post his counter-arguments and take things from there. How many days should we wait if he doesn't show?
FinalStar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FinalStar86

No Caption Provided
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dane
@FinalStar86: Thanks for that.
DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DedmanWalkin

Sonic weapons are at best a soft counter for phasing whereas all the powers I listed were hard counters that completely contradict mind reading. Even if a sonic grenade is thrown you can always phase into the ground or a wall and evade it whereas someone with Feral powers is completely immune to mind reading. You wouldn't be using 300 points to counter mind reading, you would be using it to gain pheromone powers or animal shifting which also just happen to counter mind reading. Remember, if you hit a mind reader with a sonic grenade they will also be unable to read your mind but could maybe dodge your grenade. Invisibility can be soft countered by a sonic grenade as well but you'd have to find him first which would require a hard counter like mind reading, radar sense, and most helmets to use effectively. Phasing not only is nearly impossible to effectively counter but at such a cheap price you can buy things to counter that soft counter and become veritably unstoppable. That being said, telepathy is at best a soft counter as it only counters the stealth aspect of phasing without doing anything about the actual phasing side. Perhaps Retnex was unaware of anybody with phasing powers who wasn't immune to telepathy and so chose someone people were familiar with. When I suggested that I could just make my enemy's eyes invisible and blind them, Retnex said that I could not, despite that being well within Sue's capability. He is human and simply did not consider someone using their powers as such despite it being a canon tactic.  

You have however, chosen two contradictory components. Since sound cannot physically travel through the vibranium, it can't get to your enhanced ears to determine location. You would have to either A) use a microphone thus destroying any real advantage your enhanced ears grant you or B) your ears are uncovered and you are vulnerable to sonic attacks. There really can be no middle ground, either you are vulnerable to sonic attacks or you cannot use your enhanced senses. Likewise, while phased into an object you would be unable to use your radar sense as sound waves cannot physically reach you. You would have to poke out your head to use your enhanced senses.  

Just so you are aware, I was referring to the switching equipment and using enemy weapons tactics that I used in your very first scenario thread. Despite not having listed it in the rules you argued against me being able to use them despite having a character who, being a soldier, was trained to make use of enemy weapons and re-purposing equipment. 

Keep in mind that you'll still likely win even if he can read your mind.

Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Retnex
@Dane:
Usually I'd wait 48 hours, but since he told me ahead of time he would be gone I feel like I should give him some leverage.

Plus one of the debates hasn't even been started yet, so we'll have some time to wait. If he doesn't respond by the time the other debates are finished, obviously I'll have to disqualify him. 
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dane
@DedmanWalkin: omg you and "repurposing equipment", I lolled when I first read that in the Mass Effect scenario. My bad, but yes, I have put a rule in every other thread. I think Buckshot did the same thing in his highly memorable "6000 killer cyborgs, no problem" post.

As for the vibranium, I suspect it only begins absorbing sound at a certain decibel rate of vibration. Like how if you turn your speakers up your car door shakes. It might seem highly convenient, but keep in mind Black Panther has enhanced senses and his hearing isn't interrupted at all by his vibranium suit. It may be an oversight on the part of writers but I think if his hearing works fine in his vibranium suit, mine should too. And he's been shown many, many times on panel absorbing sound energy from Klaw or even Black Bolt's whisper in HoM.

@Retnex:  Yeah, I don't mind waiting for him, it's all good.

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DedmanWalkin

This is Retnex's first rodeo so as a fellow scenario maker you should have maybe been a bit more empathetic. 

Black Panther has enhanced senses like Wolverine has enhanced senses, he relies primarily on his nose with his ears and eyes working as backups. It is likely that with all his genius he has an earpiece that connects to a receiver outside of his suit likely in the raised ears on the outside of his costume. That makes the most sense to me as Black Panther is a lot like Batman and he hides equipment in his bat ears.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dane
@DedmanWalkin: yeah but seriously, if he had a microphone on the outside and something feeding the sound directly to his ears, would he get absolutely owned by someone like Klaw who shoots sound vibrations? They'd be even further amplified straight in his ears.
DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DedmanWalkin

He can likely shut it off or has a device that listens ahead of him and turns the earpieces off before the sound hits. The guy is a genius, I am sure he could devise a system that doesn't leave him vulnerable to the likes of Klaw.

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DedmanWalkin

Also, you should go vote in my thread ... for me!

Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Retnex

Bump

MUTANT413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MUTANT413

@Dane:
i apologize for being so late. i haven't had access to a computer for a while.  

i just went over the discussion you had with retnex (didn't read it all fully, because that's a buttload of reading), but it looks like retnex has determined that i can read you mind when you are phased (if i mis-read the discussion, let me know).  

2. My Daredevil's hearing should pick him up pretty quickly so I'll have the heads up on where he's going to be and when. Due to the weight of his metal bones, I will be able to tell he has an adamantium skeleton just from his footfalls. (have scans of DD's senses for anyone who would like them). Since a person would die of metal poisoning without a healing factor, I think it's safe to say I would assume he has one. So off the bat I would know a lot more about his powers than he would know of mine. 

scans are not needed. i know of daredevil's feats, and agree completely on this point.  

So off the bat I would know a lot more about his powers than he would know of mine. 

the mind-reading rule changes this. a good scan of your surface thoughts should let me know immediately what powers and gear you've got, and what you're planning.

whether or not i can come up with a good counter-plan is a different matter entirely... 

3. My Vibranium Suit will absorb his optic blasts even if I'm not phased. So he can't hurt me from a distance at all.

really? i know that vibranium can absorb high amounts of kinetic energy, but i didn't think it could completely absorb all the energy from a ''cyclops-not-holding-back" optic blast (you are a very experienced debater, so i'm sure you know the feats cyclops has even with his visor on).  

4. The only way he can hurt me is up close and I can just phase through his attacks and unphase the Muramasa Blade into his chest, shut his healing factor down, take it out and walk away. 

ummm... f**k.

unless i can find a way to convince you that your vibranium suit doesn't make you totally immune to my optic blasts, all that may be true.

i still wouldn't be completely defenseless up close though. i could use my telepathy "Mr. X" style and dodge the Muramasa blade a split-second before you attack, possibly giving me an opening to tag you with my claws. 

5. Even if he's reluctant to engage in melee or he takes to climbing on pillars, I can just throw a sonic grenade up, blow his ear drums out and watch him fall off. Anyone who has had their inner-ear fluid damaged can probably relate to how fun that is. 

hmmm. that's true.  

6. Alternatively I could use the Predator Disc to trim his Achilles tendons and knock him off.

my telepathy would definitely see that coming. 

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dane
@MUTANT413: 
Sorry for the lateness of my reply. 

the mind-reading rule changes this. a good scan of your surface thoughts should let me know immediately what powers and gear you've got, and what you're planning.

whether or not i can come up with a good counter-plan is a different matter entirely...

I don't agree with this. Unless I was constantly thinking "My name is Dane, I can do this, this and this and I'm holding in my hand one of these" I don't know why surface thoughts would elicit any of that information. If I was hunting you down I'd probably be thinking about where you are and what you're doing. I don't usually narrate my life inside my head.

really? i know that vibranium can absorb high amounts of kinetic energy, but i didn't think it could completely absorb all the energy from a ''cyclops-not-holding-back" optic blast (you are a very experienced debater, so i'm sure you know the feats cyclops has even with his visor on). 

I can get some scans but yes, Vibranium absorbs virtually all kinds of energy. Cyclops optic blasts are pure concussive energy.

i still wouldn't be completely defenseless up close though. i could use my telepathy "Mr. X" style and dodge the Muramasa blade a split-second before you attack, possibly giving me an opening to tag you with my claws.

It's possible. But Mr. X is only able to use his telepathy in this way because he is also an extremely high grade martial artist in his own right. He would be a challenge for most street level characters even without his ability.

Unless you actually have the speed to dodge a sword a split-second before an attack (which implies you can dodge a sword in a fraction of a second), that isn't a valid claim. 

I'm not sure how you can tag me with your claws anyway. If I'm only phasing the sword out I'm still intangible. The sword cuts through adamantium like a hot bread knife through butter so if you tried to slash at the sword you'd probably lose your claws. Even a papercut from that sword will shut down your healing factor.

my telepathy would definitely see that coming.

Why would telepathy help you see an inanimate object?
MUTANT413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MUTANT413

@Dane:  

I don't agree with this. Unless I was constantly thinking "My name is Dane, I can do this, this and this and I'm holding in my hand one of these" I don't know why surface thoughts would elicit any of that information. If I was hunting you down I'd probably be thinking about where you are and what you're doing. I don't usually narrate my life inside my head.

'reading surface thoughts' doesn't mean simply hearing your inner monologue (because nobody purposefully thinks in that way). it means i am able to 'read' the thoughts that are actively going through your head. if any of your current thinking involves your intangibility, i will sense those thoughts. if you think anything that involves your Muramasa Blade, i will know about it. and so on and for forth. 

I can get some scans but yes, Vibranium absorbs virtually all kinds of energy. Cyclops optic blasts are pure concussive energy.

i know it can absorb all kinds of energy, but i was under the impression that it couldn't just absorb infinite energy. doesn't it have a max limit?  

It's possible. But Mr. X is only able to use his telepathy in this way because he is also an extremely high grade martial artist in his own right. He would be a challenge for most street level characters even without his ability. 

it's true that i don't have his extreme hand to hand skill, but it doesn't take a buttload of skill to dodge a katana being swung by a guy with no more martial arts skill than me (at least, as far as I know), especially since i can sense your swing coming before you even move. 

Unless you actually have the speed to dodge a sword a split-second before an attack (which implies you can dodge a sword in a fraction of a second), that isn't a valid claim.

dodging a sword strike from a non martial artist really isn't THAT impressive of a feat. dodging a sword strike from a non martial artist when you can sense the strike before he even begins to move... i really don't see that being hard at all.  with my mind reading, it's like you will be majorly telegraphing every single move you make.

Why would telepathy help you see an inanimate object?

while reading your mind, i would know precisely when you are going to throw it, and precisely where you intend to aim it.    

I'm not sure how you can tag me with your claws anyway. If I'm only phasing the sword out I'm still intangible. The sword cuts through adamantium like a hot bread knife through butter so if you tried to slash at the sword you'd probably lose your claws. Even a papercut from that sword will shut down your healing factor.

i'm not entirely sure what to say to this. i've been doing my best to debate you, and if i go out i want to go out with style, but i just can't think of a counter for this. i don't really want to just concede outright (after seeing some of the other fights in this tournament, it doesn't look like people who concede get much respect), buti just can't think of any argument here that wouldn't hurt my integrity as a smart debater. 

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dane
@MUTANT413:

'reading surface thoughts' doesn't mean simply hearing your inner monologue (because nobody purposefully thinks in that way). it means i am able to 'read' the thoughts that are actively going through your head. if any of your current thinking involves your intangibility, i will sense those thoughts. if you think anything that involves your Muramasa Blade, i will know about it. and so on and for forth. 

See here's where you might need Retnex to clarify. See it says Charles Xavier's Mind Reading. Now Charles Xavier could read my mind or alter it presumably in any way he wished or control my mind with similar freedom. 'Surface thoughts' to me means 'what I'm thinking about'. I don't think surface thoughts would give you access to literally any information you wanted. If you could turn intangible you wouldn't be thinking about it, you'd just be doing it. We may need Retnex to clarify his interpretation of what you can and cannot do there. 

i know it can absorb all kinds of energy, but i was under the impression that it couldn't just absorb infinite energy. doesn't it have a max limit?

Not that I've seen.

it's true that i don't have his extreme hand to hand skill, but it doesn't take a buttload of skill to dodge a katana being swung by a guy with no more martial arts skill than me (at least, as far as I know), especially since i can sense your swing coming before you even move. 

Actually, I have been doing martial arts (Taekwondo and Hapkido) for almost a decade. I have trained with weapons, including sword but not extensively. I would say less than 20 hours in my entire life with that weapon. But nothing short of posting photos of myself at tournaments would prove that and I haven't attended tournaments since high school. I don't think it's necessary to prove my case. Since Taekwondo was a 100 point requisition it isn't really fair for me to just say 'I don't have to buy it, I already know it', since we would eventually just get everyone claiming to be martial arts prodigies. Regardless of that, the fact is that it is not easy to dodge a katana. It's not something just anyone could do. A Katana was made for slashing and is typically used for sweeping attacks. This results in wide arcs that can be easily controlled because the weapon is still very lightweight when compared to a european claymore or broadsword. 

Considering the blade is likely at least a metre in length, if I were to swing it in an arc at chest height you would have virtually no chance to dodging to either side or ducking the attack. Consider how difficult it is to dodge a punch which has only a very small area of impact. When throwing a punch I want to hit you with my knuckles, preferrably the first two since they are strongest. That's an impact area of no more than one inch. Hitting you with my thumb or my wrist/arm simply wouldn't suffice. A Katana isn't like that. I don't have to hit you with the very tip of the blade, I can hit you with any part and it'll cut you just as good. If you would have difficulty dodging a punch from any reasonable person, it stands to reason that you flat out cannot dodge a Katana using a sidestep or any kind of trained grapple/disarm technique. This means your only hope of avoiding it is to move backwards. This is actually what most people would do if you swing a katana at them: get out of the way. The problem with this is it might help you dodge the first swing, but then you're moving backwards. Since people can run faster forwards than they can backwards it's highly unlikely you'll be able to continue dodging by doing this. 

In summary, whilst I'm no master swordsman, I can hit you and you can't hit me. My weapon is longer, deadlier and you have no defense against it. I will eventually get you. 

dodging a sword strike from a non martial artist really isn't THAT impressive of a feat. dodging a sword strike from a non martial artist when you can sense the strike before he even begins to move... i really don't see that being hard at all.  with my mind reading, it's like you will be majorly telegraphing every single move you make.

To be honest, dodging a sword strike regardless of the circumstances is really quite impressive. I wouldn't like to try it for fun, put it that way. The problem you have is, dodging once or twice isn't enough. Since you lack any means to effectively put me down, I can swing at you until my arms get tired.

I honestly don't think you can dodge that all day. I know how much energy it takes to sidestep a front kick. Watch an Olympic Taekwondo match, since the aim of the game is to tag the opponent (regardless of power if it's in the chest) the winner is usually the person who can dodge and counter the best. Watch those people after a few 3 minute rounds of dodging and countering. They're visibly tired after just 5-10 minutes of that. They're olympic athletes and you're not. 

Who do you think will tire out first, me moving my arms or you moving your entire body?

while reading your mind, i would know precisely when you are going to throw it, and precisely where you intend to aim it.

Knowing it's coming still won't help you avoid it. It homes in on enemies and is made out of crazy alien metal. Probs gonna hurt. Even if you don't get hit it'll distract you long enough for me to throw a sonic grenade at your head.

i'm not entirely sure what to say to this. i've been doing my best to debate you, and if i go out i want to go out with style, but i just can't think of a counter for this. i don't really want to just concede outright (after seeing some of the other fights in this tournament, it doesn't look like people who concede get much respect), buti just can't think of any argument here that wouldn't hurt my integrity as a smart debater.

Well, you don't have to concede but we can call for votes whenever you're ready. Truth be told I would hate to debate against anyone with phasing. I respect you and I like your powerset. The only problem with it is the powers and items are expensive and can be countered by cheaper powers and items. I think you could have done very well against certain opponents but my character is a bit of a mismatch since I can either absorb or avoid pretty much all of your attacks. If you could pop a Charles Xavier mind rape/acid trip on me, that'd probably work, but I don't think you get that aspect of his powers with just mind reading.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Retnex

We may need Retnex to clarify his interpretation of what you can and cannot do there.   

Hm, I don't know if Prof. X can only read "verbal" thoughts or if he can read "action" thoughts as well. Dane's character probably won't think "phase" but will probably think "I need to dodge". 
I'll put it this way, Dane's character wont know his opponent has mind reading. That and the distraction of battle (when in battle) will probably prevent him from filtering what he thinks, so a "plan" could be discovered. But, dodging is a fast, natural reaction. I don't think mind reading will give a full capability to read the opponents every move. If Dane's character thinks ahead before attack, X-Head might use that to his advantage. But in a quick moving battle, mind reading will be less effective. 

I hope that makes sense :/

Not that I've seen. 
Vibranium has been overloaded in the past, but I believe the amount of energy needed to do so is unobtainable in these fights. 

Actually, I have been doing martial arts (Taekwondo and Hapkido) for almost a decade.

This isn't you fighting, this is a hero you created. Like you said, this is to avoid someone from claiming they're Chuck Norris.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dane
@Retnex said:

"

Actually, I have been doing martial arts (Taekwondo and Hapkido) for almost a decade.

This isn't you fighting, this is a hero you created. Like you said, this is to avoid someone from claiming they're Chuck Norris. "
I know, I mentioned that. I am using my own understanding of martial arts to explain why a katana would be difficult to dodge for an average person, regardless of who is swinging it unless it's a grandma or something.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Retnex
@Dane said:
" @Retnex said:
"

This isn't you fighting, this is a hero you created. Like you said, this is to avoid someone from claiming they're Chuck Norris. "
I know, I mentioned that. I am using my own understanding of martial arts to explain why a katana would be difficult to dodge, regardless of who is swinging it unless it's a grandma or something. "
Right, I just wanted to put that out there.
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By NexusOfLight

Definitely wouldn't want to fight a phaser. Just out of curiosity, how does Kitty's phasing actually work? I know one of the theories behind phasing through solid objects is aligning your molecules with whatever object, and walking through it--something along the lines of how Flash operates, does Kitty or Martian Manhunter do the same thing, or do they really become "ghosts?" As in, they physically disappear from the physical world, leaving only their thoughts, and image behind? If that were the case, how is it Kitty can still feel things going through her while phased? Has this been addressed in the comics before?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Decoy Elite
@NexusOfLight said:

" Definitely wouldn't want to fight a phaser. Just out of curiosity, how does Kitty's phasing actually work? I know one of the theories behind phasing through solid objects is aligning your molecules with whatever object, and walking through it--something along the lines of how Flash operates, does Kitty or Martian Manhunter do the same thing, or do they really become "ghosts?" As in, they physically disappear from the physical world, leaving only their thoughts, and image behind? If that were the case, how is it Kitty can still feel things going through her while phased? Has this been addressed in the comics before? "

Not sure about MM, but I remember it being mentioned somewhere that Kitty's molecules shift or something.
Edit: Her pages says...
"Kitty Pryde has the ability to pass through solid matter by allowing the molecules of her body to travel through the space between the molecules of whatever solid she is traveling through"
Sounds like how the Flash's phasing works.
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NexusOfLight
@Decoy Elite: That's kinda cool. I like it. Would hate to fight against it, but I like it.
MUTANT413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MUTANT413

@Dane:  
Hm, I don't know if Prof. X can only read "verbal" thoughts or if he can read "action" thoughts as well. Dane's character probably won't think "phase" but will probably think "I need to dodge". 
I'll put it this way, Dane's character wont know his opponent has mind reading. That and the distraction of battle (when in battle) will probably prevent him from filtering what he thinks, so a "plan" could be discovered. But, dodging is a fast, natural reaction. I don't think mind reading will give a full capability to read the opponents every move. If Dane's character thinks ahead before attack, X-Head might use that to his advantage. But in a quick moving battle, mind reading will be less effective. 

I hope that makes sense :/  

that makes sense to me   

Vibranium has been overloaded in the past, but I believe the amount of energy needed to do so is unobtainable in these fights.

-___-  
f**k 

Actually, I have been doing martial arts (Taekwondo and Hapkido) for almost a decade. I have trained with weapons, including sword but not extensively. I would say less than 20 hours in my entire life with that weapon. But nothing short of posting photos of myself at tournaments would prove that and I haven't attended tournaments since high school. I don't think it's necessary to prove my case. Since Taekwondo was a 100 point requisition it isn't really fair for me to just say 'I don't have to buy it, I already know it', since we would eventually just get everyone claiming to be martial arts prodigies. Regardless of that, the fact is that it is not easy to dodge a katana. It's not something just anyone could do. A Katana was made for slashing and is typically used for sweeping attacks. This results in wide arcs that can be easily controlled because the weapon is still very lightweight when compared to a european claymore or broadsword.  

Considering the blade is likely at least a metre in length, if I were to swing it in an arc at chest height you would have virtually no chance to dodging to either side or ducking the attack. Consider how difficult it is to dodge a punch which has only a very small area of impact. When throwing a punch I want to hit you with my knuckles, preferrably the first two since they are strongest. That's an impact area of no more than one inch. Hitting you with my thumb or my wrist/arm simply wouldn't suffice. A Katana isn't like that. I don't have to hit you with the very tip of the blade, I can hit you with any part and it'll cut you just as good. If you would have difficulty dodging a punch from any reasonable person, it stands to reason that you flat out cannot dodge a Katana using a sidestep or any kind of trained grapple/disarm technique. This means your only hope of avoiding it is to move backwards. This is actually what most people would do if you swing a katana at them: get out of the way. The problem with this is it might help you dodge the first swing, but then you're moving backwards. Since people can run faster forwards than they can backwards it's highly unlikely you'll be able to continue dodging by doing this. 

In summary, whilst I'm no master swordsman, I can hit you and you can't hit me. My weapon is longer, deadlier and you have no defense against it. I will eventually get you.  
    To be honest, dodging a sword strike regardless of the circumstances is really quite impressive. I wouldn't like to try it for fun, put it that way. The problem you have is, dodging once or twice isn't enough. Since you lack any means to effectively put me down, I can swing at you until my arms get tired.

I honestly don't think you can dodge that all day. I know how much energy it takes to sidestep a front kick. Watch an Olympic Taekwondo match, since the aim of the game is to tag the opponent (regardless of power if it's in the chest) the winner is usually the person who can dodge and counter the best. Watch those people after a few 3 minute rounds of dodging and countering. They're visibly tired after just 5-10 minutes of that. They're olympic athletes and you're not. 

Who do you think will tire out first, me moving my arms or you moving your entire body? 

i don't have any reasonable counter argument for all this...   

Knowing it's coming still won't help you avoid it. It homes in on enemies and is made out of crazy alien metal. Probs gonna hurt. Even if you don't get hit it'll distract you long enough for me to throw a sonic grenade at your head. 

it homes in? i thought it was just like a normal boomerang or something.   

Well, you don't have to concede but we can call for votes whenever you're ready. Truth be told I would hate to debate against anyone with phasing. I respect you and I like your powerset. The only problem with it is the powers and items are expensive and can be countered by cheaper powers and items. I think you could have done very well against certain opponents but my character is a bit of a mismatch since I can either absorb or avoid pretty much all of your attacks. If you could pop a Charles Xavier mind rape/acid trip on me, that'd probably work, but I don't think you get that aspect of his powers with just mind reading.

i'm ready to go to a vote if you are :/

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DedmanWalkin

Actually, X-Head has Wolverine-level stamina, he could dodge all day and not get tired which also means that he could fire his optic blasts all day and not get tired.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Matezoide2
@DedmanWalkin said:

" Actually, X-Head has Wolverine-level stamina, he could dodge all day and not get tired which also means that he could fire his optic blasts all day and not get tired. "

also,i believe Retnex nerfed vibranium so optic blasts could actualy damage it with time and/prolonged exposure 
btw, i am not trying to help anyone 
ho yeah,Dane....give your characther a name,how about  Mr.D  ? :P
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NexusOfLight
@Matezoide: That's right, he did. I mean, he said in my match that Nexus's electric bolts would at least affect someone wearing Vibranium. Nothing fo' real, fo' real, but enough to make the wearer get a tingle, or something to that effect. I see Cyclop's optic blasts being a little more potent than Johnny Ohm's so I believe the blasts should have some sort of effect on Dane's dude.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Retnex
@MUTANT413: 

it homes in? i thought it was just like a normal boomerang or something.

He is refering to the Predator Throwing Disc.

@NexusOfLight:
@Matezoide:

I would think the optic blast would at least knock someone on their butt, just not hurt them beyond that.
MUTANT413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MUTANT413

@Retnex:  

He is refering to the Predator Throwing Disc.

yeah, that's what i was talking about. i thought it was just pretty much a regular throwing disc. i didn't know it could home in on targets.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NexusOfLight

So has voting officially started, or is there still some potential discussion to be had?

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dane

To everyone debating the vibranium business -> I can just go intangible. The Muramasa Blade can deflect optic blasts. Wolverine has personally used that against Cyclops. It's not going to be much of an issue.

I'm ready to open voting.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NexusOfLight

@Dane said: 

" To everyone debating the vibranium business -> I can just go intangible. The Muramasa Blade can deflect optic blasts. Wolverine has personally used that against Cyclops. It's not going to be much of an issue.  I'm ready to open voting. "
And it's because of that, I see Dane's character coming out on top. There is a very, very slim chance that the X-Head will even land a hit during this match, and if he does, the suit will absorb most of the impact. Quite frankly, I'd say this was a mismatch. The only defense X-head has is his healing factor, and Dane's dude has the one item in the tournament that can shut it off. So yeah, not much to say except Dane takes this with relative ease. The only thing I can think of that might possibly pose a threat is if X-head found some way to constantly be on top of Dane. Maybe have his hand inside Dane's head or something. Dane has to breathe when phasing through something, and if there's something always there impeding the breathing process, then he'd pass out, but honestly, that's reaching. Maybe with the mind reading thing, he could pull it off, but based on Dane's argument, all he really has to do is phase the sword in X-head's body and it's over, and a sword is longer than someone's arm, so that'll backfire. 

Both debaters did perform well, so I'm glad of that. It's just the odds were stacked heavily in Dane's favor, so my vote goes to him.