#1 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's say that Qui Gon and DM had never gone into that weird room outside of the Hangar their fight began in eps 1.

And that there were no distractions, meaning that Obi Wan had left with Anakin to get him safe with the others. Who wins? (I just did this to see how many Star Wars fans know their sh!t)

#2 Posted by Blue Lantern 2814 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Darth Maul's already killed him once, what's to stop him from doing it again?

#3 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"I think that Darth Maul's already killed him once, what's to stop him from doing it again?"

That would be the things he listed

#4 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"I think that Darth Maul's already killed him once, what's to stop him from doing it again?"

Are you a for REAL SW fan?

#5 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Leaning towards Darth Maul as well... Until someone can make me change my mind.

#6 Posted by Karung The Conjourer (899 posts) - - Show Bio

I lean towards QG because Darth Maul was trained for a long time but QG was trained for an even longer time.

#7 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Static Shock says:

"Leaning towards Darth Maul as well... Until someone can make me change my mind."
Qui Gon fights with (and is a master of) Ataru, which is also Yoda's style. DM fights with Juu-yo, a lightsaber style that is really more fancy than practical. Ataru requires wide open spaces in order to be at its peak, which is why Yoda (!!) chose to master this style, because of his size, everything is a wide open space. That hangar was about as big as it gets, and with no Obi Wan to look after what's to say that Qui Gon wouldn't open a can of kick@$$ all over Darth Maul? I know for a FACT that if they hadn't moved into a tiny enclosed area that Qui Gon would have owned him ; )
Post Edited:2008-02-03 09:47:46
#8 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Resonate If Maul knew this wouldn't he had wanted to get in an inclosed area we evil guys are always looking for some sort of advantage

#9 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Magneto says:

"Resonate If Maul knew this wouldn't he had wanted to get in an inclosed area we evil guys are always looking for some sort of advantage"

He DID

and that's why this happened:

I'm just saying..what would have happened if he didn't notice that door? With two Jedi on him at once he was frantically looking for a way out...and he found that door. But since Q had retreated earlier he wouldn't have thought he was such a threat. He didn't know that Q was leaving because of the climate, because he really couldn't feel it. He thought it was because he was so strong...but under these conditions he's be annihalated

#10 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree in an open area Qui would have the upper hand no doubt about it

#11 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Magneto says:

"I would agree in an open area Qui would have the upper hand no doubt about it"

See guys, we nerds know our sh!t

That's why we're the evil ones

#12 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Muhahahahahahhahaha

#13 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

huh, this died down pretty quickly lol

Well, most of my things do

#14 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

We scared them off

#15 Posted by Kalossus (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge Star Wars fan and while I like Qui-Gon, I don't believe he could have beat Maul. One, Maul has been trained especially for fighting jedi ever since he was recruited by Palpatine. That was the whole purpose for his training; so that the sith could rise up again and topple the mighty jedi order. That duel was the result of years of work and it served its point. My second reason is the exact opposite. While the jedi were trained in lightsaber combat they had never used it in real life, against a sith, for over a millennium. Most of their enemies used blasters and they didn't have to worry about other lightsaber users. While Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon held up nicely, if the sith had been a present threat for their whole lifes they would have won. The reason Obi-Wan won, in my opinion, was because Qui-Gon wore down Maul.

#16 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with Darth Maul. He didn't really seem to be struggling that hard while taking on both Qui-Gon and Obi-Won. The only reason he died was becuase he got cocky, he could have easily finished off Obi-Won.

#17 Posted by Bueteka (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#18 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"I'm going with Darth Maul. He didn't really seem to be struggling that hard while taking on both Qui-Gon and Obi-Won. The only reason he died was becuase he got cocky, he could have easily finished off Obi-Won."

I think it was more along the lines of Obi Wan giving into the dark side for a second.

I still am pretty sure that he would have beaten Darth Maul if they stayed in that hangar. Notice how Qui Gon didn't even try until they got into those small rooms. Obi Wan was just kind of flipping like an idiot, and Darth Maul actually ran away from Qui Gon while kicking Obi Wan around.

He knew that Qui Gon needed room to fight, and exploited that weakness. What I'm saying is if he had never noticed that room and simply continued to fight him as is. I'm pretty sure he would lose

#19 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Resonate, you are wrong about the enclosed space being an advantage to Maul. First of all the mechanics of fighting with a staffsaber vs a normal lightsaber mean that you need more wide-open space to yield a staffsaber properly regardless of fighting style. Furthermore, in that scene Maul fought both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to a stand-still in both the wide-open spaces of the larger room, and the smaller room where Qui-Gon was actually defeated.

Qui-Gon is awesome, and is highly experienced as well. Maul was raised from childhood to be a living weapon of the Sith. Maul is a relentless killing machine. I love Qui-Gon as much as the next geek, but he didn't stand a chance against Maul the first time, and most likely would lose again. The only reason Maul actually lost was that he had Obi-Wan cornered he got cocky and gloated rather than striking the killing blow.

I'm with Maul.

#20 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul wins this. In episode one he was opening up on Jin. Once Jin got on that ship he was all tired out and hurtin. Maul was fine. I dont know where people are getting Maul one cause Jin was looking out for Obi Wan. Thats the craziest thing I've heard.

#21 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Resonate says:

"Static Shock says:
"Leaning towards Darth Maul as well... Until someone can make me change my mind."
Qui Gon fights with (and is a master of) Ataru, which is also Yoda's style. DM fights with Juu-yo, a lightsaber style that is really more fancy than practical. Ataru requires wide open spaces in order to be at its peak, which is why Yoda (!!) chose to master this style, because of his size, everything is a wide open space. That hangar was about as big as it gets, and with no Obi Wan to look after what's to say that Qui Gon wouldn't open a can of kick@$$ all over Darth Maul? I know for a FACT that if they hadn't moved into a tiny enclosed area that Qui Gon would have owned him ; )
Post Edited:2008-02-03 09:47:46"

That's still doesn't change my mind, for the simple fact that Obi Wan wasn't a distraction in the battle. I still think Darth Maul would own him.

#22 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Maul wins this. In episode one he was opening up on Jin. Once Jin got on that ship he was all tired out and hurtin. Maul was fine. I dont know where people are getting Maul one cause Jin was looking out for Obi Wan. Thats the craziest thing I've heard."

Ya know forgot all about that he was worn out after just their short battle one on one

#23 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Magneto says:

"Gambler says:
"Maul wins this. In episode one he was opening up on Jin. Once Jin got on that ship he was all tired out and hurtin. Maul was fine. I dont know where people are getting Maul one cause Jin was looking out for Obi Wan. Thats the craziest thing I've heard."
Ya know forgot all about that he was worn out after just their short battle one on one"

Indeed, he was sweating a lot when he kneel there to meditate while the force field was on. Maul was just anxious.

zzzzzzzzzz

#24 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

Agreed.

#25 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Episode 1 established that Maul wins, after a good fight. Qui-Gon is skilled, but by the time of the Naboo crisis he's past his prime.

#26 Posted by King Saturn (223841 posts) - - Show Bio

Resonate says:

"Static Shock says:

Damn.

#27 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#28 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

qui gon jinn

#29 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

Resonate says:

"Static Shock says:

Part of the reason Obi-Wan stopped using Ataru after the Naboo crisis was because it got Qui-Gon killed. Maul's Juyo (which is an extremely effective style, even though it is incomplete)dominated Qui-Gon's Ataru, bulling through his defense like a hot knife through butter. It was this defensive weakness that inspired Obi-Wan to switch to Sorensu, the most defensive of the seven forms. As for Yoda, he uses Ataru because it's simply the most effective style for someone of his size; it focuses on Force-assisted acrobatics and offense, which fits Yoda perfectly. Of course, style is only part of the equation. Qui-Gon was past his peak as a lightsaber duelist (he admits as much in the Phantom Menace novelization), and fighting someone as aggressive and athletic as Maul was a severe test for him. This doesn't mean that Qui-Gon wasn't good; he was a fantastic fighter, as was Obi-Wan. The fact that Maul took both of them on at once, killed one and almost killed the other demonstrate just how exceptional he was. There's no shame in losing to an opponent with Maul's skills.

#30 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

But we can all agree on one thing-lightsabres, and peoples who use lightsabres, are awesome.

#31 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"But we can all agree on one thing-lightsabres, and peoples who use lightsabres, are awesome."

Damn straight.

#32 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"But we can all agree on one thing-lightsabres, and peoples who use lightsabres, are awesome."

Hell yeah. Anyway, Mace Windu owns both of them.

#33 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Static Shock says:

"Sparda says:

Hell yeah. Anyway, Mace Windu owns both of them."

Mace Windu is THE MAN!

#34 Posted by Andhaira (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@Resonate said:

Static Shock says:

Qui Gon fights with (and is a master of) Ataru, which is also Yoda's style. DM fights with Juu-yo, a lightsaber style that is really more fancy than practical. Ataru requires wide open spaces in order to be at its peak, which is why Yoda (!!) chose to master this style, because of his size, everything is a wide open space. That hangar was about as big as it gets, and with no Obi Wan to look after what's to say that Qui Gon wouldn't open a can of kick@$$ all over Darth Maul? I know for a FACT that if they hadn't moved into a tiny enclosed area that Qui Gon would have owned him ; )Post Edited:2008-02-03 09:47:46

Sorry for necromancy but this is such a silly and baseless argument, it boggles the mind. It just shows why the EU is so ridiculed, it is just so filled with stupid stuff like this that makes no sense.

I mean, Qui Go used Ataru which ses wide open sweeps and he needed more space? Uhm ok, I don't know if yo notcied but DM was sing a DOUBLE BLADED LIGHTSABER which requires MUCH more space than a single bladed saber. Not only that, but there was actually a LOT of room in that reactor room. Maul had no problem using his saber, neither did Qui Gon.

Maul destroyed him fair and square, because he is the better trained warrior. That is it. Maul also dominated Qui Gon on Tatooine.