• 52 results
bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bumnut

Two beings of energy trying to evercome each other and there respective powers.  Who takes the cake and eat it in the end?? 

Captain Atom

Captain Atom's Dilustel skin is tied into the Quantum Field, which enables him to absorb and manipulate theoretically infinite amounts of energy, limited by his willpower and imagination. This energy can be used for flight (which is generally faster than the speed of sound in Earth's atmosphere and up to half-light speed in the vacuum of space), super strength (shown at times to be on par with Martian Manhunter,  defines his level of strength second only to Superman's among the heroes of the DC universe, though as Monarch he was capable of effortlessly overwhelming three versions of Superman), durability (he has survived exploding nuclear weapons, and even energy sufficient to wipe out all life within the Universe of Earth 51 - although this was his own energy) self sustenance and life support (allowing him to live and even speak in space), and controlling energy of any form. In addition to high speed flight he has been shown to possess enhanced reflexes. Atom's abilities stem from his link to the Quantum Field, which provides a virtually infinite source of Quantum Energy, which can be used for a vast number of effects. He commonly manipulates his energy into force field bubbles, or explosive "bombs," but the most common form is a simple energy blast. Atom has been shown to be capable of manipulating even exotic energies such as magic, and has a high degree of resistance to such attacks.

No Caption Provided
                                                                                                                 vs

Proteus:   

A Mutant that possesses a vast psionic ability to manipulate and alter reality. He existed in a state of pure psionic energy and could take possession of human bodies that his energies eventually "burned" out, killing them (including his own original body). Proteus also possessed telepathic abilities. His reality manipulation powers allow him to transmute matter and bend the laws of physics according to his imagination within a certain distance. Using this power he can easily turn a building into liquid, turn a vehicle into bees that attack at his mental command, transform energy into matter, manipulate weather, or strip a person of their mutant powers. He often reverses local gravity, opens fissures in the earth, and stretches people painfully into liquid shapes (they return to normal when he no longer concentrates on manipulating their bodies). Use of this ability tends to speed up the rate at which his body will burn out. Proteus' reality warping ability is contingent upon line of sight: if he shifts his sight to another object and warps it, the previous object he was warping will return to normal.

No Caption Provided
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Boobster

Proteus.

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daak1212
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
I believe the thinking is that because Cap Atom's skin is metal that Proteus should not be able to do anything to him.  Care to explain why you think Proteus should win?  Not being a d1ck, I actually thought the same thing but then I realized metal>Proteus.
bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bumnut

I'm leaning towards Atom.  Anyone else?

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@bumnut said:
I'm leaning towards Atom.  Anyone else?
Same here.
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BattleHeiz
@daak1212 said:
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
I believe the thinking is that because Cap Atom's skin is metal that Proteus should not be able to do anything to him.  Care to explain why you think Proteus should win?  Not being a d1ck, I actually thought the same thing but then I realized metal>Proteus.
Cause now Proteus is immune against it also he just needs to suck energy from him
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Static Shock

Captain Atom absorbs him into the Quantum Field. 

BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Static Shock: What about proteus being reality warper?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Static Shock
@BattleHeiz said:
All that is, to me, is being able to manipulate matter, an ability that wouldn't affect Captain Atom in the slightest. 
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Boobster
@daak1212 said:
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
Proteus can warp metal.
bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bumnut
@Static Shock said:
@BattleHeiz said:
All that is, to me, is being able to manipulate matter, an ability that wouldn't affect Captain Atom in the slightest. 
He can affect/warp things around CA, though in the long run, I see Cap taking this. 

@daak1212 said:
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
Did not Proteus punch Colossus half way across Muir Isle??  I'd say not any more, as someone stated....

@BattleHeiz said:
@daak1212 said:
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
Cause now Proteus is immune against it also he just needs to suck energy from him
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Boobster said:
@daak1212 said:
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
Proteus can warp metal.
He couldn't touch it but now that he possessed morph he has no problem
@Static Shock said:
@BattleHeiz said:

He sucked energy from crystal palace(The "Crystal Palace" at the Nexus of all Realities (often considered to be within the M'Kraan Crystal, though it is in fact apart from and outside all other realities).)
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BattleHeiz
@bumnut
Also did i mention that he is now omnimorph
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Boobster
@BattleHeiz said:

@Boobster said:

@daak1212 said:
@Boobster said:
Proteus.
Proteus can warp metal.
He couldn't touch it but now that he possessed morph he has no problem
@Static Shock said:
@BattleHeiz said:
He sucked energy from crystal palace(The "Crystal Palace" at the Nexus of all Realities (often considered to be within the M'Kraan Crystal, though it is in fact apart from and outside all other realities).)
I know that he couldn't touch it, do you see what I wrote ? I said he can warp it , like he did to Maestro's arms.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Static Shock
@BattleHeiz said:
Sounds like energy absorption. Nothing more.
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Boobster:  But i only added that he is an omnimorph
@Static Shock: He sucked energy from his universe from a place that exists outside reality
I think thats pretty impressive
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Static Shock
@BattleHeiz said:
@Static Shock: He sucked energy from his universe from a place that exists outside reality I think thats pretty impressive
Yes, it is. But, how does that affect Captain Atom, though?
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Boobster

What stops Proteus from possessing Atom ?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Static Shock
@Boobster: Someone tried that already. Atom just asked the person if he really thought he could beat him in his own mind, before pushing him out of it. 
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Boobster:  Metal skin and the fact that he is an energy
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Boobster
@BattleHeiz said:
He can warp metal.
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Boobster
@Static Shock said:
@Boobster: Someone tried that already. Atom just asked the person if he really thought he could beat him in his own mind, before pushing him out of it. 
And that person was as powerful as Proteus ?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Static Shock
@Boobster: I'm pretty sure he could, but Captain Atom would be immune to that sort of attack. The Quantum energies in his body protect him from molecular attacks.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Erik
@Boobster said:
@BattleHeiz said:
He can warp metal.
Really? I do not remember seeing that. Besides if he could, why was Colossus able to kill him?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Static Shock
@Boobster said:

And that person was as powerful as Proteus ?

Eh, not really. LOL. 

But, even then, Captain Atom doesn't have a mind to possess anymore. He's nothing but energy under his metal skin. So, how would Proteus manage this?
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Boobster: And...?
No really what the?
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Erik: He warped mimics organic metal and wolverine with adamantium skeleton
Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Boobster
@Erik said:
@Boobster said:
@BattleHeiz said:
He can warp metal.
Really? I do not remember seeing that. Besides if he could, why was Colossus able to kill him?
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Erik
@BattleHeiz said:
I am going to have to read that issue again with Wolverine because I remember that as an illusion. 

Mimic encounter with Proteus.... I am thinking that is an alternate reality....
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Erik: That was different version of proteus
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Erik
@Boobster

That looks like Exiles.
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Erik said:
@BattleHeiz said:
I am going to have to read that issue again with Wolverine because I remember that as an illusion.   Mimic encounter with Proteus.... I am thinking that is an alternate reality....
Wasn't that from cartoon?
And no this one is from exiles
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Static Shock

Wow. I didn't even catch that. LOL.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Erik
@BattleHeiz said:
Different how? Alternate reality different? Because if so, it should not count for what seems to be 616 Proteus.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Erik
@BattleHeiz said:
@Erik said:
@BattleHeiz said:
I am going to have to read that issue again with Wolverine because I remember that as an illusion.   Mimic encounter with Proteus.... I am thinking that is an alternate reality....
Wasn't that from cartoon? And no this one is from exiles
Exiles is a title completely about alternate realities. Feats attributed to alternate reality character do not apply to main continuity characters.
Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Erik said:
@Boobster:   That looks like Exiles.
That's Exiles, yes. It's issue 80 and it is not the Earth-616 version of Proteus. 
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Erik
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon said:
@Erik said:
That's Exiles, yes. It's issue 80 and it is not the Earth-616 version of Proteus. 
Thank you for clearing that up.
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Erik said:
@Erik said:
No problem :) I consider myself a bit of an Exiles expert, probably one of my top three comics ever. 
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Erik
@Erik said:
@Erik said:
No problem :) I consider myself a bit of an Exiles expert, probably one of my top three comics ever. 
I always wanted to get into it myself because I like AoA Sabretooth and Psylocke but I only managed to get the trade where Psylocke is introduced. Fun read.
BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BattleHeiz
@Erik said:
@BattleHeiz said:
Different how? Alternate reality different? Because if so, it should not count for what seems to be 616 Proteus.
I know mainstream was weak compared to him
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Erik said:
@Erik said:
@Erik said:
I always wanted to get into it myself because I like AoA Sabretooth and Psylocke but I only managed to get the trade where Psylocke is introduced. Fun read.
If you have the money or the inclination, the entire run is out in Ultimate trades. Well worth the money (they usually run for about 25 bucks per volume) if you're a fan of the series.
ManofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ManofSteel

Captain Atom.

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Freefa11
@Erik: Proteus was vulnerable to metal in his first appearance back in Uncanny X-Men 126-128. This is when Colossus killed him. He was resurrected in X-Factor Annual 6 without the weakness though, as well as without a need to possess human bodies, and generally displayed superior control of his abilities (not too surprising, considering that in the UXM run, he was only like 12 and had spent his entire life locked in a metal box). Even in his first appearance, there is an instance of him manipulating metal (turns a gun into a snake), although I would guess it was actually just an artistic/plot oversight.

I don't know if he regained the weakness later or not. Still haven't read the Necrosha X thing. Without the weakness Cyclops basically viewed him as completely unbeatable, but then, nobody present at the time was as powerful as Captain Atom. 

@Static Shock: I think it's actually pretty well established that Proteus' powers go well beyond simple matter manipulation. At the least he has spacial manipulation as well, and the UXM and X-Factor Annual issues seemed to make it pretty clear he was actually screwing with the laws of nature and physics a little beyond just changing things into other things. He was also powerful enough in his first appearance to defeat classic Phoenix, which should put him up around Herald level, and this was, again, back when he was actually just a little kid who had never even used his powers before, and before he got upgraded in X-Factor Annual.

He also has definite control over energy, which was shown when he changed Cyclops' optic blasts into flower petals. I know you said Captain Atom is immune to molecular control, but all energy should be, since energy isn't made of molecules anyway, and Proteus doesn't seem to have a problem with energy. I don't know if CA's energy is particularly resistant to energy manipulation or not.

Also, he is a very high level telepath, capable of easily overpowering the minds of X-Factor, X-Force, and the New Warriors. To be fair, at the time Cable's psionic power was minimal at best (this was back when he was mainly known for being a cyborg with guns, not the son of Scott Summers), and Jean's were gone altogether (though you'd still think she'd have a strong mind). They did have Legion on their side though, who didn't do better than anyone else. 

I know you said CA doesn't have a mind, but I don't really see how that could work. It sounded like you were basing that off of him not having a biological brain, but I'm pretty sure that in comics (and most fiction, for that matter), the mind tends to be kind of distinct in a way. Basically, if it thinks, it has a mind, regardless of whether or not it actually has a brain. It's kind of hard to argue that CA has no mind when he can clearly think, learn, and experience things. 

I don't know enough about Captain Atom to really claim victory for one over the other, I'm just saying Proteus should not be underestimated. I don't see why he could not disperse or transmute any energy beams fired at him like he did with Cyclops' optic blast, or why he couldn't just teleport out of the way, or warp space so it just misses.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Static Shock
@Freefa11 said:
He also has definite control over energy, which was shown when he changed Cyclops' optic blasts into flower petals. I know you said Captain Atom is immune to molecular control, but all energy should be, since energy isn't made of molecules anyway, and Proteus doesn't seem to have a problem with energy. I don't know if CA's energy is particularly resistant to energy manipulation or not.
When I said he was immune to molecular manipulation, I was saying it in a sense that his Quantum energies protects his metal skin from being tampered with by molecular attacks. So, if Proteus wanted to attack his metal skin in an attempt to transmute it, it wouldn't work. 

@Freefa11 said:
Also, he is a very high level telepath, capable of easily overpowering the minds of X-Factor, X-Force, and the New Warriors. To be fair, at the time Cable's psionic power was minimal at best (this was back when he was mainly known for being a cyborg with guns, not the son of Scott Summers), and Jean's were gone altogether (though you'd still think she'd have a strong mind). They did have Legion on their side though, who didn't do better than anyone else.  I know you said CA doesn't have a mind, but I don't really see how that could work. It sounded like you were basing that off of him not having a biological brain, but I'm pretty sure that in comics (and most fiction, for that matter), the mind tends to be kind of distinct in a way. Basically, if it thinks, it has a mind, regardless of whether or not it actually has a brain. It's kind of hard to argue that CA has no mind when he can clearly think, learn, and experience things.
You have a point there. 

@Freefa11 said:
I don't know enough about Captain Atom to really claim victory for one over the other, I'm just saying Proteus should not be underestimated. I don't see why he could not disperse or transmute any energy beams fired at him like he did with Cyclops' optic blast, or why he couldn't just teleport out of the way, or warp space so it just misses.
Those all seem like valid tactics.
Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Equonox

Atom

bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bumnut
@Freefa11 said:
@Erik: Proteus was vulnerable to metal in his first appearance back in Uncanny X-Men 126-128. This is when Colossus killed him. He was resurrected in X-Factor Annual 6 without the weakness though, as well as without a need to possess human bodies, and generally displayed superior control of his abilities (not too surprising, considering that in the UXM run, he was only like 12 and had spent his entire life locked in a metal box). Even in his first appearance, there is an instance of him manipulating metal (turns a gun into a snake), although I would guess it was actually just an artistic/plot oversight.

I don't know if he regained the weakness later or not. Still haven't read the Necrosha X thing. Without the weakness Cyclops basically viewed him as completely unbeatable, but then, nobody present at the time was as powerful as Captain Atom. 

@Static Shock: I think it's actually pretty well established that Proteus' powers go well beyond simple matter manipulation. At the least he has spacial manipulation as well, and the UXM and X-Factor Annual issues seemed to make it pretty clear he was actually screwing with the laws of nature and physics a little beyond just changing things into other things. He was also powerful enough in his first appearance to defeat classic Phoenix, which should put him up around Herald level, and this was, again, back when he was actually just a little kid who had never even used his powers before, and before he got upgraded in X-Factor Annual. He also has definite control over energy, which was shown when he changed Cyclops' optic blasts into flower petals. I know you said Captain Atom is immune to molecular control, but all energy should be, since energy isn't made of molecules anyway, and Proteus doesn't seem to have a problem with energy. I don't know if CA's energy is particularly resistant to energy manipulation or not.Also, he is a very high level telepath, capable of easily overpowering the minds of X-Factor, X-Force, and the New Warriors. To be fair, at the time Cable's psionic power was minimal at best (this was back when he was mainly known for being a cyborg with guns, not the son of Scott Summers), and Jean's were gone altogether (though you'd still think she'd have a strong mind). They did have Legion on their side though, who didn't do better than anyone else.  I know you said CA doesn't have a mind, but I don't really see how that could work. It sounded like you were basing that off of him not having a biological brain, but I'm pretty sure that in comics (and most fiction, for that matter), the mind tends to be kind of distinct in a way. Basically, if it thinks, it has a mind, regardless of whether or not it actually has a brain. It's kind of hard to argue that CA has no mind when he can clearly think, learn, and experience things.  I don't know enough about Captain Atom to really claim victory for one over the other, I'm just saying Proteus should not be underestimated. I don't see why he could not disperse or transmute any energy beams fired at him like he did with Cyclops' optic blast, or why he couldn't just teleport out of the way, or warp space so it just misses.
Some interesting points that make this a little more even.
ivan_jimenez86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Atom against any energies or matter manipulators will easily go down hard! Why else would fans consider DC's Captain Atom be near the class and ranks of Marvel's Silver Surfer?

Captain Atom's mastery over energy and matter manipulation, not to mention his reality warping easily trumps Proteus. Psionic powers are from another form of exotic energies like magic, which Captain Atom could absorb, manipulate, redirect, and/ or store for future uses!

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
xMangog__Beastx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could go either way.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers