• 137 results
#1 Posted by Hus (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I know J'onn J'onzz has like over 50 amazing Superman like powers that easily trump Xavier but i'm comparing telepathic psychic mind powers only. J'onn J'onzz is considered to be the world's most powerful telepath in DC universe and has awesome psychic abilities. Xavier is considered to be the world's most powerful telepath in the Marvel universe and also has awesome psychic abilities. Who would win in an all out telepathic/psychic battle?

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Xavier. While J'onn is powerful, Xavier's sole focus is on honing and becoming a better Telepath. I haven't seen Manhunter make mass illusions or shut down someone's brain.

#3 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hus: I am going with Prof X as well here :)

#4 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
Xavier. While J'onn is powerful, Xavier's sole focus is on honing and becoming a better Telepath. I haven't seen Manhunter make mass illusions or shut down someone's brain.
Will point to the issues of JLA before J'onn turned into Fernus, where he was dominating people's minds continents away (bunch of terrorist getting forced to get on their knees and stare at the African/Australian sun, unable to blink) and putting President Luthor in a coma-like state, all while he was bbq'ing from his therapists' backyard. 
His powers grew when he flipped into Fernus, where he could lock or unlock any muscle in a person's body, telling Batman he had paralysed all of his muscles save his jaws so he could scream as he fell towards the ground. At this stage he could also make illusions as he did when the JLA found him in the Still Zone (?, the place they put the White Martians), where he had Wally assaulted by ravens (this was on the moonbase btw).

But besides that I am going to say draw on this one.
#5 Posted by Saren (26027 posts) - - Show Bio

I think J'onn would draw, but Fernus would stomp.

#6 Posted by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Didnt MMH control everybodys minds on the planet.... i cant remember where i read this but i think its true. And he deosnt need a machine to boost his ability.

#7 Posted by Saren (26027 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hus: Xavier is not the most powerful telepath in Marvel. There are several people more powerful than him.
#8 Posted by Hus (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@Hus: Xavier is not the most powerful telepath in Marvel. There are several people more powerful than him.

who?

Ok...what about ONSLAUGHT vs. FERNUS?

#9 Posted by FemmeFatale (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Like Jean Grey

#10 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hus said:

@CitizenBane said:

who?

Ok...what about ONSLAUGHT vs. FERNUS?

obviously moondragon and then there's Surfer.

#11 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

No, instead Martian has been able to control multiversal artifacts like the Wargolog with his telepathy. Martian is leagues beyond Xavier in the telepathy department.

#12 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

You would need someone of Moondragon's calibur to challenge Martian telepathically. Xavier is way out of his league here.

#13 Edited by Saren (26027 posts) - - Show Bio
@FemmeFatale said:

@CitizenBane: Like Jean Grey

Like Legion, Proteus, X-Man, Silver Surfer and Onslaught is what I was thinking.
#14 Posted by Bo88gdan (4522 posts) - - Show Bio

Professor X

#15 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

Professor Xavier. I don't see anything MM has done that Xavier either already replicated or can do.

#16 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

Its funny how one year can change your perspective. I think Prof X would actually lose this one, with Martian having better telepathy.

Also just to throw this out there, Silver Surfer has done absolutely nothing to suggest he is a better telepath than Prof X.

#17 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: What has MM done to put him above Xavier? I always see people say MM is the stronger telepath but what has he done to make him superior to Charles?

#18 Posted by Killemall (18640 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

@Killemall: What has MM done to put him above Xavier? I always see people say MM is the stronger telepath but what has he done to make him superior to Charles?

Here are some of his cool feats, i did not scan it, i did not upload it, i am just copy pasting this from (@CitizenBane: ) Blog, which is amazing btw :p

Hope this helps, you can find heaps more on

http://www.comicvine.com/martian-manhunter/29-2047/martian-manhunter-respect-thread/92-704652/#32

Justice League of America #64: J'onn/Bloodwynd breaks through Starbreaker's (the dude who can consume the energy of suns like J'onn consumes cookies) psychic defenses and probes his mind to uncover his history until the latter manages to eject him with some effort.

JLA: A Midsummer's Nightmare #2: Telepathically scouring the minds of everyone on Earth; nearly all of them had superpowers courtesy of Dr. Destiny's reality warping.

JLA #15: Forces the Joker to become sane for a while. Joker at the time was in possession of the Worlogog, an object that can warp time and space on a massive scale (Hourman has used it to freeze an entire universe still, and Extant has repeatedly used it to make reality his b!tch) and was using it to create a ten thousand mile earthquake on the Earth from the Moon. J'onn stepped in and cut off his thoughts from the Worlogog, allowing Flash to snatch it out of his hands.

JLA #21: J'onn was the only member of the League who could shield his mind from the telepathic En'Tarans, who enslaved the rest of the League as well as the entire population of the planet Rann.

JLA #23: Earth is attacked by several Star Conquerors, each one capable of putting an entire continent the size of North America to sleep. J'onn protects Aquaman when one of them starts to invade his mind, and later broadcasts a counter-frequency that forces all the Star Conquerors to leave Earth.

Martian Manhunter #4: Scans the minds of everyone on Earth to find the person who killed his partner on the police force.

Martian Manhunter Annual #2: Gorilla Grodd builds a device that amps his telepathic powers to the point where he's above J'onn in sheer psychic ability; but the Martian still beats him anyway by literally talking Grodd into giving himself brain damage.

JLA #35: Enters the Spectre's mind and forces him onto the astral plane, pulling the rest of the JLA along for the ride.

JLA #40: Breaks through Mageddon's psychic defenses to reach Superman.

JLA #41: Breaking through Mageddon's telepathic defenses again to connect Batman to Superman.

This is one of J'onn's more impressive telepathy feats because Mageddon was an extremely powerful telepath. To put the feat of getting past its psychic defenses into perspective, these are some of the things Mageddon has done: practically destroying Hector Hammond's (a planetary-scale telepath) mind, causing two wars to break out in the space of five minutes, forcing an entire planet full of the Old Gods (a single Old God could reality warp everyone on Earth to give them powers) to kill each other, driving everyone on Earth out of their minds with rage and fear and making them go to war, and with the exception of that last feat, all the others were done while Mageddon was light years away from its target.

#19 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Thanks a lot :). Cool feats but nothing showing him to be superior to Xavier. He has replicated most of those feats and then some. I'd like to see MM battle on every plane of existences simultaneously, scan the cosmos or even communicate with others light years away.

#20 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that guy two above me has a crazy amount of scans and a great argument. Im still goin Prof Xavier.

#21 Posted by HulkSlayerT1000 (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

My moneys on Professor X as well.

#22 Posted by Esquire (3833 posts) - - Show Bio

J'onn resisted 9 amped White Martians simultaneously, so I don't see Prof X getting through his defenses. He's scanned the entire galazy, repeatedly broken through Mageddon's psychic defenses, and he's done things like one-shot Maxima. I'm leaning towards the Martian.

#23 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Esquire said:

J'onn resisted 9 amped White Martians simultaneously, so I don't see Prof X getting through his defenses. He's scanned the entire galazy, repeatedly broken through Mageddon's psychic defenses, and he's done things like one-shot Maxima. I'm leaning towards the Martian.

Xavier battle Dark Phoenix (The nexus of all psionic energy in the MU) on all the infinite planes of existence, he's scanned the cosmos on more than one occasion and has gooten through psychic defense light years away. I still don't see how MM is the superior telepath.

#24 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Yet Charles apparently still has to use a machine to find people.

#25 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

A common misconception, Xavier uses Cerebro only to distinguish mutants. He has no problem locating and scanning entire planets of people without the device.

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: So what, he can find normal people without using it but needs it to find people with unique brainwaves? How does that make sense?

#27 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@Roddy010: So what, he can find normal people without using it but needs it to find people with unique brainwaves? How does that make sense?

Do you even know the origins of Cerebro?

#28 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Which one? The room edition or the one that fit in his desk? The deeper problem is that he needs machine for something that sounds relatively simple.

#29 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@Roddy010: Which one? The room edition or the one that fit in his desk? The deeper problem is that he needs machine for something that sounds relatively simple.

That's the thing though lol he doesn't need the machine to scan mutants, it just makes it easier to separate human minds from mutant minds, (mainly due to their genetics) and pinpoint the exact location of these mutants. Xavier has on multiple occasions scanned the galaxy and manipulated billions of minds unaided. He even communicated with the X-men and Lilandra light years away. In these scans Xavier relays and connects with multiple minds of the entire planet without Cerebro.

#30 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

Manhunter is more powerful, his telepathy has more raw energy but I think Xavier is more dreamy, musical, creative, intelligent with his powers....I wonder if Xavier could read the 'fire weakness' during a psychic battle

#31 Posted by dondave (38818 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: MMH has read the minds of reality warpers and the Mageedon Machinery which was able to control the Old Gods to kill each other, when the had power level that allowed one of them to warp reality to give the everyone on earth powers

#32 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Sry I just read it was by Lobdell and I started doubting the rest of it :S

#33 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon said:

Wow that guy two above me has a crazy amount of scans and a great argument. Im still goin Prof Xavier.

I agree! Charles FTW

#34 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@Roddy010: Sry I just read it was by Lobdell and I started doubting the rest of it :S

Believe it or not it's on panel and has been shown numerous times.

@dondave said:

@Roddy010: MMH has read the minds of reality warpers and the Mageedon Machinery which was able to control the Old Gods to kill each other, when the had power level that allowed one of them to warp reality to give the everyone on earth powers

Very Impressive Indeed! Still don't see MM taking Charles out though.

#35 Posted by dondave (38818 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: what feats does charles have to compare? I dont really read X-men

#36 Posted by Lord Shiva (798 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure this fight has been done before.....

@Outside_85 said:

That's only because of Magneto....

#37 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Bear in mind Lobdell started his Superman run off with having Superman bench press the planet for 5 days straight (thus returning us to the annoying power-escalation debacle we had before the relaunch), so blasting powerlevels up at rocket speeds under his pen should hardly be surprising.

#38 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@Roddy010: Bear in mind Lobdell started his Superman run off with having Superman bench press the planet for 5 days straight (thus returning us to the annoying power-escalation debacle we had before the relaunch), so blasting powerlevels up at rocket speeds under his pen should hardly be surprising.

That would only be the case if Xavier hadn't shown the ability to scan minds across the planet. And Lobdell is responsible for only the first scan.

@dondave said:

@Roddy010: what feats does charles have to compare? I dont really read X-men

Yes

• Battling Phoenix (The Nexus of all Psionic energy in the MU) on infinite planes of existence simultaneously
  • Xavier gathers the thoughts and feelings of the entire Skrull homeworld and transmits them into Galactus' mind.
  • Broke through Exodus' psionic defenses around Avalon (In space) from his office
  • Affecting Juggernaught (who has psionic defenses and is fueled by the power of Cyttorak)
  • Scanned the cosmos unaided
  • Communicate with Lilandra light years away
  • Defeating Kulan Gath (who gave classic Dr. Strange a hard time)

These are just a few.

#39 Posted by Needlebay (1948 posts) - - Show Bio

Flip a coin. It's really close, IMO.

#40 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Hmm, I have to say I find it a bit hard to gauge the other three scans since they don't show where his physical body is. Other note is that I have to mention is the 'battling the Phoenix' feat is all well and good, but AvX did end up with him dead by what appeared to be minimal effort on the Phoenix/Scott's part.

@Lord Shiva: That really only makes even less sense. he builds a machine to track a man he cant normally track...and still cant track even when he is using it?

#41 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: That was a physical attack from Phoenix/Cyclops, meanwhile in his mind Charles was able to place an illusion to by the Avengers time to attack and guess what? It worked! He only died when Cyclops decided to get physical with the battle.

#42 Posted by TheTmac (472 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian takes this.

Id say he is one of the best telepaths in DC.

#43 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: This is the instance I'm referring to. Phoenix could very well destroy Xavier.

#44 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: Sry, but you just undermined your own argument on the second page:

"Would...have lost...but I...sensed Jean...fighting her Phoenix self...helping me." Charles Xavier.

Btw, I don't recall Cyclops ever laying a hand on Charles in AvX, so I assume he just fried his brain.

#45 Posted by dondave (38818 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: he didn't really do it by himself,did he

#46 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: @dondave: I knew you would take what i said out of context. Never did I say he out right beat Phoenix. I said he battled her on multiple planes of existence. If he can stretch his mind that far without going insane that is a credible feat. Phoenix would destroy Xavier in a real fight.

#47 Posted by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: Scott didn't need to lay a hand on him. He had vast telekinetic (physical psionic force) powers.

#48 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

Its funny how one year can change your perspective. I think Prof X would actually lose this one, with Martian having better telepathy.

Also just to throw this out there, Silver Surfer has done absolutely nothing to suggest he is a better telepath than Prof X.

This.

#49 Posted by Outside_85 (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010: He fought it backed up by the most powerful psychic entity in the MU. And Scott was never mentioned to use those telekinetic powers (would leave marks and Scott was hardly in a state of mind to do precision work), also Xavier was in his head, my chips are still on the brain frying.

#50 Edited by Roddy010 (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: The only thing Jean did was held back Phoenix from completely destroying him, but him battling was under his own power. Why would Phoenix give him power to fight herself. That makes no sense.

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/13201026/AvsX-Zone-022.jpg.html

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/13201029/AvsX-Zone-023.jpg.html

We see Scott telekinetically lifting up Charles, next we see the Phoenix bird explosion which is a physical manifestation of its power. In conclusion Scott killed Charles by physical means.If that were the case red skull shouldn't have been able to use Xavier's brain to gain telepathic abilities of his own.

Fixed