When a phaser is set to vaporize, it breaks apart molecular bonds between atoms. When atoms are no longer adjoined, the molecule will be no more. Basically. If a person or object is in contact with the frequency of a phaser, they become free floating atoms.
Due to Paramount's copy rights, youtube doesn't have any scenes of the phaser set to vaporized, so I will use these demonstration videos to give an idea of what a phaser can do.
And here are the list of character that are to try to resist the effects or molecular bond reversal.
- Batman (with normal armor on)
- Ironman (with extremist, but NO SHIELDS ON. The phaser must contact the armor)
- Megatron (No Shields)
- Captain America (with Shield)
- Storm (With Lighting and Wind Shielding)
- Hulk (when angered)
- Green Lantern (With Light Construct on, but no powered up shielding)
- Silver Surfer
- Goku (When powering up: Aura Shield)
- Mad Jim Jaspers (when he is not aware that you are firing at him)
- Thanos (he is just standing. No shields)
- Galactus (No shields. Hungered)
- Mephisto (when Mephisto is not aware)
- Mirror Master (No shielding, Phaser must make contact with his body)
- A Daimond