Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Soulstealer

@JediXMan said:

@whacknasty said:

I'm almost starting to think omniscience is usually paired with omnipotence in order to make debates like this easier...lol

People assume that they are together.

Now, if you are omnipotent, you can make yourself omniscient. It does not go the other way around.

Well it might, considering you would know all there is to know. And if there was a way to become ominpotent, then you would know it. But that's not really the point here at all. Because within the scope of the rules set forth, there is no prep allowed, and without speed, reflexes, or even thought speed to match the speedsters' operational speeds there is nothing the omniscient can do.

As you stated before, he's a statue despite how knowledgeable he may be.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Jezer

@vuviper said:

@Jezer said:

@vuviper said:

And the point is that we don't know what's possible or not. Therefore, we can't argue against him using those abilities AND we can't argue against him winning, in general.

On that same token, I can't argue for him using those abilities. But I can argue that the possibility of those abilities means you can't dismiss him and argue against him.

Btw- My first post in this thread outlined Super-omniscient. Which is knowing things that are literally impossible. Please take a look at it, probably only two pages back.

Also take a look at my post at the top of this page.

Which is where we disagree I think it's entirely possible to know whether something impossible. Here's a simple example. Imagine a game where the winning condition is that you move before I do. The only rule is I move first. It's similar to my tic tac toe example but much more obvious.

I think I skimmed your "super omniscient" post but I didn't think it applied to this battle

What if I convince you that "first" means second, so you move first(meaning second) under your own rule, and I've already moved and won?

What if I convince you that I was born before you, and therefore I already moved before you and its impossible for you to win your game - so instead you scrap it?

What if I know a way to back through time to when you're about to explain the game, and then I move you before my past self has moved, therefore you move before my past self but not before me, and so I win?

However, I do believe that there may be some things that we know are impossible. This omniscient person beating the speedster without having quick reaction time or prep is not one of those things that we know is impossible. Therefore, my previous post applies.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omniscient dude knows everything which is impossible for us to comprehend for all we know he could do anything

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By Floopay

Omniscient should know everything that's going to happen from every action he can possibly take. Therefore, if Zoom or Flash would notice him going to closeline them, or stab them, or whatever, then the omniscient person would know that they would notice. I'm thinking Speedsters should win. I was reading War of the Spider Queen by R.A. Salvatore and it brought up a good point. A character uses a spell that gives him precognition, and decides he will confront someone in melee combat because he knows what's going to happen moments before it actually happens, and assumes the advantage. About a paragraph in he realizes that he's not sure if precognition is enough to make up for the superiority in skill of the other fighter. I'm thinking a similar sort of situation is presented here. Omniscient or no, even Quicksilver should prove to be too much for your average person.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#155  Edited By vuviper

@Jezer said:

@vuviper said:

@Jezer said:

@vuviper said:

And the point is that we don't know what's possible or not. Therefore, we can't argue against him using those abilities AND we can't argue against him winning, in general.

On that same token, I can't argue for him using those abilities. But I can argue that the possibility of those abilities means you can't dismiss him and argue against him.

Btw- My first post in this thread outlined Super-omniscient. Which is knowing things that are literally impossible. Please take a look at it, probably only two pages back.

Which is where we disagree I think it's entirely possible to know whether something impossible. Here's a simple example. Imagine a game where the winning condition is that you move before I do. The only rule is I move first. It's similar to my tic tac toe example but much more obvious.

I think I skimmed your "super omniscient" post but I didn't think it applied to this battle

What if I convince you that "first" means second, so you move first(meaning second) under your own rule, and I've already moved and won?

What if I convince you that I was born before you, and therefore I already moved before you and its impossible for you to win your game - so instead you scrap it?

What if I know a way to back through time to when you're about to explain the game, and then I move you before my past self has moved, therefore you move before my past self but not before me, and so I win?

However, I do believe that there may be some things that we know are impossible. This omniscient person beating the speedster without having quick reaction time or prep is not one of those things that we know is impossible. Therefore, my previous post applies.

No you would have convinced me that you won, but you would have lost.

No because the game hadn't started yet, and if it did, you violated the rules

Then you violated the rules (rule)

We do know it's impossible because he is limited by having no time. No time for action, no time for thought, no time for preparation.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Jezer

@vuviper said:

@Jezer said:

@vuviper said:

@Jezer said:

@vuviper said:

No you would have convinced me that you won, but you would have lost.

No because the game hadn't started yet, and if it did, you violated the rules

Then you violated the rules (rule)

We do know it's impossible because he is limited by having no time. No time for action, no time for thought, no time for preparation.

No, I would have convinced you that when you said "I get to move first", you meant "I get to move second". Therefore, you would have moved second under your own rule and conception of what first means. And I would have actually moved first genuinely winning. That's me manipulating you to lose despite your own rules.

That's not violating the rules, that's exploiting temporal loopholes in them.

My point is that you think it's as cut and easy as I lose. However, I can point out ridiculous loopholes a person can still use to win. And I'm not omniscient. Think of how many they can think of.

I've already pointed out viable ways for him to win: If he knows how to use magic that works instantaneously without his own conscious activation of it. It's the reason why Strange can withstand a speedblitz - magic autoshields. It is completely possible that for you to beat a speedster without time, thought, or preparation - if they go to punch you and end up KOing themself.

Please tell me how it's impossible. The overall arching point is that you need to humble yourself, instead of assuming what you know about the world or even logic is true. Do you realize some physicist think the implications of Quantum Physics probability waves is that a subatomic particle can be two places at once, everywhere and nowhere at the same time, impossible contradictory stuff like that?

Om4zd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Om4zd

@eisjfiejss: Yes! We humans can not perceive HOW an Omniscient would defeat a Speedster because we are not intelligent enough. I agree that there is a chance that Speedster would win as well.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By Baldy

This battle is fairly simple. It boils down to one fact...

If it is possible for the Omniscient guy to win, he will win. Every time. If it is impossible no matter the amount of knowledge he has, then he won't. I suspect that, assuming the fight starts for all participants in the same instant and the speedsters instantly speed blitz, then the Omniscient guy is toast.

I can't think of a way he could level any advantage from his Omniscience before being destroyed, but then I'm not Omniscient. ;)

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#159  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Jezer said:

No Caption Provided

I'm about to log off to study for a test tomorrow(haven't started), but to anyone who does not understand the implications of arguing someone with omniscience, let me leave you this:

@Everyone.

Think about a baby. It's a girl. Under a certain age, when a mother leaves the baby's sight, she starts crying. WAAAAAAH. Why? Because the baby thinks her mother is gone.

That's because the mind/brain of a baby is so limited, it can't comprehend something existing outside of its sight. It doesn't understand how that's possible. I mean, its there then its not!

Then the babies Mom comes back in sight, and it gets happy. You can use this to play with a baby. Cover your face and the baby will think that you've disappeared! =o Move your hands, and the babies like "oh shit, that's not possible. How in the hell did my mom pull that off?"

Apply this analogy to an omniscient person.

Compared to an omniscient person, we are but mere babies. Similar to how the baby doesnt know how his mother can disappear, we dont know how this omniscient person can beat a speedster he can't react to with no prep. But, the omniscient person does win and we're like "oh shit, that's not possible. How in the hell did this omniscient person pull that off?" The baby doesn't understand how the mom uses her hands to cover her face and then apparently disappears, and the fact that its possible. The baby doesn't comprehend that whole process or how it worked.

We look at this battle and we don't know how the omniscient person won the fight. We don't comprehend the hand motion he did(before the speedblitz attempt) that gave him superspeed. We don't understand the mental equation he did that mysteriously stopped all kinetic energy in his vicinity and destroyed the Speed Force, making the speedster a statue. We don't understand how he flicked the speedster off and that somehow switched his soul into the speedsters body thereby giving him superspeed. We don't understand how he had sex with a woman a couple years ago, and this somehow gave him magic that actively reflects all physical force used against him tenfold.

Yet, he pulls off one of a million "impossible" ways he can win. They are impossible to us because we are but mere babies in intelligence.

What we do know is that, as babies, we can't argue that he can't win. Because we don't know, and can't comprehend, any of these impossible ways he could win - if they exist or if they don't. But he does, because he's damn omniscient. Us saying that he can't win is like babies trying to argue that Obama won't win the next election, despite not knowing what an "election" or "Obama" is and how one goes about winning it. It's like a 10 year old of average intelligence trying to argue which theory of Quantum Physics is more true than the other.

Therefore, we cannot even argue that there is no way for the omniscient to win. Quite frankly, we are babies attempting to refute politics.

The only possibility is that we can think of a way for the omniscient to win, and then assume that he would have thought of it because if we know it, he does as well.

In conclusion: We can only argue for the omniscient winning, and can't successfully argue against him losing. Thus, he wins.

Remember: This isn't an issue of "This guy will know how to win, but hes not fast enough to pull it off". That's baby talk.

This is an issue of "This guy will know not only how to win. He'll also know how to impliment it succesfully in order to win."

Furthermore, if this guy has always been omniscient or been for a long time, the fact that he actually showed up to the match implies that he's already thought of a way to win OR wants to die. Assuming he doesn't want to die, we can assume that he knows he'll win(through whatever method). Therefore, he wins.

There are so many levels of I can use to argue that an omniscient person wins. This thread is essentially a stomp. Now I'm gonna go study laws and stuff for a test tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

/thread

You deserve a medal..

@Floopay said:

Omniscient should know everything that's going to happen from every action he can possibly take. Therefore, if Zoom or Flash would notice him going to closeline them, or stab them, or whatever, then the omniscient person would know that they would notice. I'm thinking Speedsters should win. I was reading War of the Spider Queen by R.A. Salvatore and it brought up a good point. A character uses a spell that gives him precognition, and decides he will confront someone in melee combat because he knows what's going to happen moments before it actually happens, and assumes the advantage. About a paragraph in he realizes that he's not sure if precognition is enough to make up for the superiority in skill of the other fighter. I'm thinking a similar sort of situation is presented here. Omniscient or no, even Quicksilver should prove to be too much for your average person.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Precog =/= Omniscience therefore imo your point is valid but irrelevant

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#160  Edited By Floopay

@The_Thunderer: They aren't that big of a stretch from one another. My point was that just because you know everything that could happen and that is going to happen, doesn't mean that a scenario where you can beat someone traveling 1700+ miles per second exists. Granted you'd have your entire life up until that moment to prep, being omniscient and all, but again, just because you know somethings going to happen, and just because you know the outcome to every action, doesn't necessarily mean that a scenario exists where you could win.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#161  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Floopay: Point is he may not be bound by our laws of physics, he may lnow things that we can begin to comprehend, and he will have seen every eventuality for how the fight will happen and end

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Jezer

@The_Thunderer Thanks.

@Floopay said:

@The_Thunderer: They aren't that big of a stretch from one another. My point was that just because you know everything that could happen and that is going to happen, doesn't mean that a scenario where you can beat someone traveling 1700+ miles per second exists. Granted you'd have your entire life up until that moment to prep, being omniscient and all, but again, just because you know somethings going to happen, and just because you know the outcome to every action, doesn't necessarily mean that a scenario exists where you could win.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

So, do you know whether that scenario exists or not?

Jedi Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Jedi Wolverine

Very nice debate so far guys - its been a joy to read, +1 all round.

I can see both sides of the argument and im completely on the fence here however i'd like a reply to the following question as regards the sheer plausibility of the Omniscient guy's abilities.

Given the fact that he is all knowing and has the knowledge of everything that is/will be and has been - even down to the smallest detail - could he do the following;

Using precise calculations - throw a grain of sand through a mountain range and out the other side?

According to one side of the above arguments this is impossible - surely it just cant be done! ------- analogy - speedster would win

If this is possible, as some others have argued that the Omniscient guy has abilities and talents that we cant comprehend then it can be done ----- analogy - Omniscient would win.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Jezer

@Jedi Wolverine said:

Very nice debate so far guys - its been a joy to read, +1 all round.

I can see both sides of the argument and im completely on the fence here however i'd like a reply to the following question as regards the sheer plausibility of the Omniscient guy's abilities.

Given the fact that he is all knowing and has the knowledge of everything that is/will be and has been - even down to the smallest detail - could he do the following;

Using precise calculations - throw a grain of sand through a mountain range and out the other side?

According to one side of the above arguments this is impossible - surely it just cant be done! ------- analogy - speedster would win

If this is possible, as some others have argued that the Omniscient guy has abilities and talents that we cant comprehend then it can be done ----- analogy - Omniscient would win.

Okay, so you want an answer to whether or not the Omniscient guy can throw that grain of sand through the mountain range?

My position: We don't know either way. We dont know if there is knowledge in the universe that would allow him to do that... or if there isn't knowledge in the universe that would allow him to do that.

Since we don't know, can we draw a conclusion or argue either way?

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#165  Edited By vuviper

@Jezer said:

No, I would have convinced you that when you said "I get to move first", you meant "I get to move second". Therefore, you would have moved second under your own rule and conception of what first means. And I would have actually moved first genuinely winning. That's me manipulating you to lose despite your own rules.

My point is that you think it's as cut and easy as I lose. However, I can point out ridiculous loopholes a person can still use to win. And I'm not omniscient. Think of how many they can think of.

I've already pointed out viable ways for him to win: If he knows how to use magic that works instantaneously without his own conscious activation of it. It's the reason why Strange can withstand a speedblitz - magic autoshields. It is completely possible that for you to beat a speedster without time, thought, or preparation - if they go to punch you and end up KOing themself.

Please tell me how it's impossible. The overall arching point is that you need to humble yourself, instead of assuming what you know about the world or even logic is true. Do you realize some physicist think the implications of Quantum Physics probability waves is that a subatomic particle can be two places at once, everywhere and nowhere at the same time, impossible contradictory stuff like that?

Which violates the only rule

No, because I did not move first. violating the only rule. Loopholes are ways around rules, you are simply breaking them.

But you haven't. And neither could an omniscient.

But the omniscient doesn't have magic unless he was given prep time to obtain magic through his omniscience. Like the gun example I used before, knowing how to gain magic or knowing how to use it doesn't spontaneously and instantly grant him magic. Magic may not even exist in this fight. since we weren't given information on if he's a real world human or a comic book human

It's impossible because any action and thought any response even on the cellular level takes time. Time someone like the Flash doesn't have to give him. I don't need to humble myself. I didn't read your baby post in it's entirety but I can guess at where you were going with it. Just because there is the possibility of concepts that are inconceivable to human's doesn't mean they exist. And they're existence isn't even something that would be hard to prove. Quantum mechanics is weird, maybe counter intuitive to some even, but I haven't seen anything that "impossible" yet.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Agent9149 said:

An omniscient being would know how to defeat a speedster but that doesn't mean he has the ability to do it.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Jezer

@vuviper said:

@Jezer said:

Which violates the only rule

No, because I did not move first. violating the only rule. Loopholes are ways around rules, you are simply breaking them.

But you haven't. And neither could an omniscient.

But the omniscient doesn't have magic unless he was given prep time to obtain magic through his omniscience. Like the gun example I used before, knowing how to gain magic or knowing how to use it doesn't spontaneously and instantly grant him magic. Magic may not even exist in this fight. since we weren't given information on if he's a real world human or a comic book human

It's impossible because any action and thought any response even on the cellular level takes time. Time someone like the Flash doesn't have to give him. I don't need to humble myself. I didn't read your baby post in it's entirety but I can guess at where you were going with it. Just because there is the possibility of concepts that are inconceivable to human's doesn't mean they exist. And they're existence isn't even something that would be hard to prove. Quantum mechanics is weird, maybe counter intuitive to some even, but I haven't seen anything that "impossible" yet.

1. No, it doesn't violate the rule. If you told me "Hey, lets play this game. The winner is the person who moves before the other. The only other rule is that I move first." Omniscient person using omniscient knowledge of psychology and hypnosis: "So, when you say "first" you mean "second" right?" You: "Yeah" Omniscient person: "Okay" *moves and wins* We are the ones who give words meaning. If I change your concept of what a word means, it doesn't mean that I've validated the rules of the words you used.

2. Wrong. The loophole here lies in convincing you that your game is trash, therefore you choose to not play it. Therefore winning by not having to play it.

3. But I have. But, hypothetically even if I hadn't, that wouldn't prove an omniscient couldn't. What you're saying only applies to knowing things that aren't logically possible. What you're trying to say is "Does an omniscient person know how to add 2 + 2 so that it equals 5?" That's the type of thing that it is impossible for an omniscient person to know, because it is logically impossible. (unless he is super omniscient i.e. truly omniscient) However, this doesn't apply to this battle. It's not logically impossible for the omniscient person to win given the parameters. And because its not logically impossible, he could theoretically think of a way we can never comprehend.

4. Incorrect, what if this magic is tied to information about the universe? What if he something he knows - like an equation - simply gives him this magic? Then he would automatically have this regardless of not prepping or not being a magician. Like my previous refutation to the gun example: omniscience may mean knowing that there's that gun strapped to your leg in the 10th dimension that you can pull out of nowhere.

"Magic may not even exist in this fight. since we weren't given information on if he's a real world human or a comic book human"

I think this sentence literally embodies the flaw in your reasoning. Like, this is the essence of your point of view. Here you're saying that magic may not even exist for him to use if he's a real world human? In other words, you're saying that because we don't know if magic exists in the real world(like it does in the comic book world), then if he's a real world human he doesn't even have access to magic. This is based on the assumption that because we don't know if magic exists, magic doesn't exist. This is severely flawed reasoning. Do you know why? Because even even if we haven't discovered magic or have any knowledge of magic, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! That may just mean that we don't have the knowledge of magic, I mean we're beings of limited intelligence living in one tiny portion of the universe - we've probably only glazed the surface of total knowledge of the universe! You can't prove that magic doesn't exist in some form or another in the real world - you can only discover it and thus establish that it does exist. As a result: We can't prove that if Barack Obama was given omniscience right now, he wouldn't suddenly know magic. We can't prove that an omniscient person, fictional or real, wouldn't suddenly have knowledge giving him the use of magic just from that knowledge.

And, here's the coup de grace to this debate:

http://www.comicvine.com/max-faraday/29-51553/

http://www.comicvine.com/creation-equation/12-51564/

Max. Faraday. The Creation Equation. I don't know if you're familiar, but the story is that in his world there is an equation that grants those who possess it near-omnipotent power. Faraday accidentally downloads it to his computer, and after viewing the string of binary code, he gains near omnipotent power. Just by possessing the knowledge of it in his brain. Just by knowing it.

Story synopsis can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Right:_The_Adventures_of_Max_Faraday

This demonstrates what I've been saying - knowledge that gives its users powers simply by having the knowledge. What if this omniscient person was in the Wildstorm Universe? He would automatically have that power as a result of being omniscient and knowing everything, including the Creation Equation.

My point is that: Do we know if this exists in the real world? Or in any given comic continuity? No, we don't. But Wildstorm has shown that its possible. So what if there's knowledge that also gives him magic or power that defends him without him having to consciously use it? What if its not magic but a new type of power, similar to how there are things like the Power Cosmic and Power Primordial that are power sources that randomly exist? The possibility exists. Therefore, we don't know if there's knowledge gained from omniscience that gives him an ability that will allow him to beat the speedster with no prep.

This brings me back to the number one rule or principle of science: You can't draw conclusions based on a lack of knowledge. You can't say that the omniscient person would lose because those powers don't exist in the universe OR that he would win because they do exist. We don't know either way. Therefore, at this point, we cant say the omniscient person loses. Which is essentially a stalemate. The reason the omniscient person wins is that at any point that we think of a viable method he can use to win, we have to acknowledge that he knows it as well, and therefore uses it to win. He wins because it is impossible to prove that he loses, but possible to prove that he wins.

5. Lol but magic that works on its own isn't limited by a human body, by the response time of motor neurons or action potential or anything. It's only limited by that if it has to be activated by the user. If it actively works without conscious use of the user, then it may not take any time at all. It may even just ignore time and space. And again, as my point has consistently been: The point isn't that they exist, the point is that we don't know that they don't exist. And its not only hard - its impossible - to prove that they don't exist[without consulting an omniscient ;)]

Quantum mechanics: Sooo, you don't think it's impossible for something to be moving and standing still at the same time? That's logically inconsistent and paradoxal. And quantum physicist have made it happen: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1258932/In-places-Strange-world-quantum-mechanics-shown-work-visible-world-time.html

Please explain to me how the concept of something being two contradictory things isn't impossible. How is that not impossible?

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Jezer

I hope people actually have the patience to read my super long post.(I can understand not wanting to) But if not, at least skip to the "coup de grace" in point 4.

If you read it, and see any flaws, point it out. If you read it and think my reasoning is sound, point that out.

Till then, I think the omniscient person definitely wins and this is

/thread