Oberyn Martell vs Hector

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Book and TV feats for Oberyn. 2004's Troy feats for Hector. Standard gear. Single combat outside the walls of Troy. Win by death.

The Red Viper
The Red Viper

vs

Hector of Troy
Hector of Troy

Thanofleeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard gear means Hector will be slowwwww. Oberyn wins due to speed and versatility.

Egemensson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Egemensson

oberyn took down the mountain rather easily, he may edge hector out too. i think he's somewhere around in the little gap between hector and achilles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Going to say Hector. Oberyn comes off as impressive because of his acrobatics and swordplay, but really when you get down to it, he doesn't combat his opponents any differently with his spear than Hector would, and he was actually knocked to the ground a couple of times by the Mountain who isn't as skilled or fast as Achilles. Hector tagging Achilles twice in their fight, and fighting him down to the wire is a feat of skill and physical prowess that Oberyn cannot match, and thus Hector wins this fight. It's relatively close though.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havn't done any research so I could be wrong, but it's my understanding Hector's protected by the God's. The only person that can kill Hector in battle is Achilles. Being that Oberyn isn't Achilles..... I gotta go with Hector on this one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havn't done any research so I could be wrong, but it's my understanding Hector's protected by the God's. The only person that can kill Hector in battle is Achilles. Being that Oberyn isn't Achilles..... I gotta go with Hector on this one.

That isn't even close to accurate. In the Movie (or Myth for that matter) Hector has no prophetic protection from the gods whatsoever, and the gods don't seem to play much of a role at all. Achilles isn't even invulnerable in it. Hector came close to being killed by Ajax so I fail to see how he has any kind of special protection.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By schillenger420

@i_like_swords: Your correct. It's not that Hector was protected by the god's (though Apollo and Ares both were on his side...sort of) he was just fated to die at the hands of Achilles. My initial statement stands. Since Hector was fated to die at the hands of Achilles... and Oberyn isn't Achilles.... Oberyn isn't winning this. On a more realistic note... I'd ask... how fast does the death have to be? The Red Viper, being the Red Viper really just has to draw blood and Hector's going down. As far as who dies first? I'd give it to Hector. Oberyn's good, but Hector isn't Clegane. Hector won't just hack and slash... depending on brute force. I can see him killing Oberyn then and there, but in no scenario does Hector get out of this without being poisoned. In the end they both die by each other's hand. In that sense... this one's actually a draw.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schillenger420: Where was it stated he was fated to die at the hands of Achilles? Even if that were true, it'd be silly to allow a technicality like that to decide a battle where either guy has some shot at winning.

I'd say Oberyn would die first. Hector wouldn't mess around. He'd kill him and be done with it. I didn't actually notice any use of poison from Oberyn during the TV fight. Did he use it in the book?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Didn't you see Oberyn's squire vigourously rubbing the blade of the spear? That's the poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: I wouldn't call it vigorous rubbing. I honestly remember just thinking he was cleaning the blade the first time I watched it. And I never got the feeling Gregor was poisoned during or after the fight. I know he was in the book but I didn't see it in the TV version.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dondave: I wouldn't call it vigorous rubbing. I honestly remember just thinking he was cleaning the blade the first time I watched it. And I never got the feeling Gregor was poisoned during or after the fight. I know he was in the book but I didn't see it in the TV version.

It will likely be revealed at the start of next episode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

Which I cannot wait for.. I binge watched all of GoT in the space of a few days and now I want MOAR.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

@i_like_swords said:

Which I cannot wait for.. I binge watched all of GoT in the space of a few days and now I want MOAR.

I've been watching since season 1 started :)

at some point I'll read the books, probably. Too busy now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@i_like_swords said:

I prolly won't read the books but ya never know.

TT_4_Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

Hector tagging Achilles twice in their fight, and fighting him down to the wire is a feat of skill and physical prowess that Oberyn cannot match, and thus Hector wins this fight. It's relatively close though.

The difference between the two fights; Achilles actually got away with toying around and living because his skill level was so much higher, while Oberyn's wasn't. At no point in his fight did Hector have the advantage, look to be winning or like he had even the slightest chance of doing so, nor did Hector himself think he had a chance. That you mention him tagging Achilles twice as some great moral victory says it all. Everyone in Troy knew he was going to his death. When Achilles wanted the fight over, it was over.

As for this fight, I'd give it to a serious Oberyn, one not obsessed with getting a confession and messing around. He showed more skill with the spear than Hector did with it, and his speed advantage due to lack of armor should make him very difficult to tag.

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shield + Spear > Spear

Though Oberyn's blades are always covered in poison... so I'd say it's a double death for the majority.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogueshadow  Moderator

@fallschirmjager said:

@i_like_swords said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@i_like_swords said:

I prolly won't read the books but ya never know.

Next episode is entirely on the wall, just one long battle like Blackwater. We won't see the Mountain until 10, if then. Can't imagine they'd miss out the poison.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Whatever! When they show the Kings Landing people again.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hector for sure, just keep that poison away with his shield and he'll be fine.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: In the books Oberyn's all about the poison. He got the name "Red Viper" when he was challenged to a duel by some Lord for sleeping with the Lords wife. Since they were both nobility the fight wasn't to the death, but just to first blood. Oberyn won the fight, and coincidentally a few day's later the Lord he was fighting got real sick.... and died. In the books one of the Sand Snakes say's tells Doran Martell that she knows what poison was used on Clegane, and it's anything but nice..... Given how often Oberyn poison's his weapons, it's very reasonable to assume he'd do so here as well. Even if Hector somehow kills Oberyn, he doesn't do it without at least getting scratched, and a scratch is all it will take. Even if Hector kill's Oberyn, he dies soon there-after.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schillenger420: I don't care for the poison stalemate technicality. Hector went untouched by Achilles for a very long time, and tagged him twice before being tagged himself. If he can do that to a superhuman demigod, who is the greatest warrior in Ancient Greece, he sure as sh*t can do worse to Oberyn. I reckon Hector kills him without sustaining a scratch, and even if he does, he will kill Oberyn first resulting in a victory, regardless of if the poison sets in.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I tend to agree that the majority of the time, Hector probably kills Oberyn, but I just don't see him doing it without at least getting scratched. If that doesn't matter, than sure Hector wins no problem. If it is held to account however, I just don't see Hector living too long after this fight. Oberyn isn't such a push-over that he doesn't at least draw blood. I know that's not a fullfilling outcome, but hey, in GoT outcomes like that are par for the course.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords: When did Hector tag Achilles? He scratches his clothing and hits his brass boot, but he never tags Achilles IIRC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: When did Hector tag Achilles? He scratches his clothing and hits his brass boot, but he never tags Achilles IIRC.

Those were the times I meant. If not for armor Achilles was cut, to rights.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords: It only scratched the armour, it completely missed his actual body, if the armour hadn't been there it would have swiped the air. Hector went for his leg and Achilles put his boot there on purpose to block the blow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow said:

@i_like_swords: It only scratched the armour, it completely missed his actual body, if the armour hadn't been there it would have swiped the air. Hector went for his leg and Achilles put his boot there on purpose to block the blow.

Granted but it's still closer than anyone wants a sword.

I didn't see it that way. I thought it was more of a reference to the Myth Armor being forged by Haephestus.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rogueshadow  Moderator

@i_like_swords: Not downplaying the feat, even Achilles had a wtf moment, it was clearly closer than anybody had come before, I didn't see the second part like that, even ordinary bronze armour would probably block his sword the way it did.

Avatar image for captainmarvelthunder
CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with Hector. He put up a good fight against Achilles who seemed a lot better and faster than pretty much anyone in Game of Thrones.

mlunny1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hector

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backing Hector in a solid fight.

Jack_Hart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jack_Hart  Online

Hector takes this. He'll deflect Oberyn's strikes until the opportunity presents itself to trap Oberyn's spear so he can break it, then Oberyn's done.

Zuriel-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hector

Avatar image for consciouskeeper
Consciouskeeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers