• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Alphaproto (350 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the Greek gods vs. all of the Norse in an all out smack yo momma battle. Real mythology not the comic gods. 

#2 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalemate
#3 Posted by Alphaproto (350 posts) - - Show Bio

How?
#4 Posted by CortSether (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

Norse Gods. They are just cooler and have infinitely greater personality.

#5 Posted by Alphaproto (350 posts) - - Show Bio
@CortSether:
And they dress better.
#6 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Greek Gods take this one on numbers alone..Dont forget the Titans & other deities in Greek myth.The numbers go well into the 100s or even 1,000s

#7 Posted by Ellocobruja (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Greeks, by numbers and variety of powers.
#8 Posted by JThree47693 (2538 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek Gods would be like Zeus and Poseidon right?
#9 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14399 posts) - - Show Bio

the greeks would probally win althought i would much prefer the norse gods to

#10 Posted by MrDirector786 (43371 posts) - - Show Bio

I go with the Greek Gods since they have greater number and all those other beings such as titans, cyclopes, Gaia, and Uranus.

#11 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek Gods by the virtue of being truly immortal.

Also, improbable as it seems, this was done before. Twice.

#12 Posted by JThree47693 (2538 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw it Ill go with the Greek Gods ftw
#13 Posted by Fortified_Hooligan (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

hehe, Uranus. 

Better yours than mine.
#14 Posted by JThree47693 (2538 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fortified_Hooligan:
Lol
#15 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin the allfather is more powerful than the entire primary greek pantheon. If you bring titans in then the norse have giants and elder gods. 
This is a huge norse stomp. 
#16 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
" Odin the allfather is more powerful than the entire primary greek pantheon."
And this is based on what exactly? What, the Greeks don't have a chief God? they weren't that democratic...
#17 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:
Zeus the Greek chief god in power and scope equates more to Thor than to Odin.  And the Greeks don't really have an equivalent to Odin, but since they are both the Highest ,they  would end up against each other, and Odin is smarter, wiser,stronger and more divinely powerful. 
The only Greek god I can see beating their equivalent is maybe Ares.  He is probably stronger than Tyr, but Tyr is faster and a better strategist, and is willing to make sacrifices to win that other gods wouldnt think of i.e. allowing Fenris to bite off his hand so they can bind him.
#18 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
" @AtPhantom: Zeus the Greek chief god in power and scope equates more to Thor than to Odin.  And the Greeks don't really have an equivalent to Odin, but since they are both the Highest ,they  would end up against each other, and Odin is smarter, wiser,stronger and more divinely powerful. The only Greek god I can see beating their equivalent is maybe Ares.  He is probably stronger than Tyr, but Tyr is faster and a better strategist, and is willing to make sacrifices to win that other gods wouldnt think of i.e. allowing Fenris to bite off his hand so they can bind him. "
And this is based on what exactly? You equate Zeus and Thor because they are both thunder Gods. Why does that make them equal in power?

And I really would like to know how do you make out this guesses. Stronger? More divinely powerful? Ares stronger? Tyr faster? What is all this based on?
#19 Posted by sexy beast (352 posts) - - Show Bio

Greeks .They seem to be more enduring.
#20 Posted by DC_Marvel_1000 (12062 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @yodagod said:
" @AtPhantom: Zeus the Greek chief god in power and scope equates more to Thor than to Odin.  And the Greeks don't really have an equivalent to Odin, but since they are both the Highest ,they  would end up against each other, and Odin is smarter, wiser,stronger and more divinely powerful. The only Greek god I can see beating their equivalent is maybe Ares.  He is probably stronger than Tyr, but Tyr is faster and a better strategist, and is willing to make sacrifices to win that other gods wouldnt think of i.e. allowing Fenris to bite off his hand so they can bind him. "
And this is based on what exactly? You equate Zeus and Thor because they are both thunder Gods. Why does that make them equal in power?  And I really would like to know how do you make out this guesses. Stronger? More divinely powerful? Ares stronger? Tyr faster? What is all this based on? "
well with zeus and odin i can see it, as far as we know odin is the all father, he was not born he just is, zeus on the other hand had a father and became more powerful then him, this means that zeus can be overcome even if he is the king of the gods, as for thor being stronger that again is a question of what you think, thor is supposed to be the strongest of odins sons this means that only odin himself would be more powerful (again depends some think thor is more powerful) but more or less zeus should be stronger due to age and divine right (being the king of the gods) as for ares being stronger theres no real reason why he would be other then the fact he is the god of war, this may lead some people to think he is stronger then most gods in the physical aspect but theres no reason why, and the greek gods would do this two if they had a end of days like in norse, all the gods would die to save there way of life.
#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@DC_Marvel_1000 said:
" well with zeus and odin i can see it, as far as we know odin is the all father, he was not born he just is, zeus on the other hand had a father and became more powerful then him, this means that zeus can be overcome even if he is the king of the gods, "
All father is a title which was applied to every indo-european God, including Zeus. And Odin is nothing special in that regard. He has a father. He has a grandfather and he has two brothers. He was most certainly not always there. Besides, Odin himself can, has and will be overcome on numerous occasions. Unlike Zeus, who ragined unchalenged over all creation, Odin not only had realms he had no power in, but was actually destined to fall at the end.

More or less agreed on the rest.
#22 Posted by DC_Marvel_1000 (12062 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @DC_Marvel_1000 said:
" well with zeus and odin i can see it, as far as we know odin is the all father, he was not born he just is, zeus on the other hand had a father and became more powerful then him, this means that zeus can be overcome even if he is the king of the gods, "
All father is a title which was applied to every indo-european God, including Zeus. And Odin is nothing special in that regard. He has a father. He has a grandfather and he has two brothers. He was most certainly not always there. Besides, Odin himself can, has and will be overcome on numerous occasions. Unlike Zeus, who ragined unchalenged over all creation, Odin not only had realms he had no power in, but was actually destined to fall at the end.  More or less agreed on the rest. "
alright my norse gods knowhow is not all that great so i did not know odin had a father ect ect.
#23 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@DC_Marvel_1000 said:
" alright my norse gods knowhow is not all that great so i did not know odin had a father ect ect. "
Didn't you read Thor 600?  : P
#24 Posted by DC_Marvel_1000 (12062 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @DC_Marvel_1000 said:
" alright my norse gods knowhow is not all that great so i did not know odin had a father ect ect. "
Didn't you read Thor 600?  : P "
hahaha :P
#25 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@CortSether said:
" Norse Gods. They are just cooler and have infinitely greater personality. "
i disagree, the only god of nose mythology i enjoy reading about is thor. odin sounds lame to me and the whole concept of loki is just stupid. one of my favorites stories of greek mythology to read about are zeus and achillies.
#26 Posted by Reaper (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Greeks easily.

The Norse Gods were able to be killed, while the Greek Gods were truly immortal.

#27 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin created not only this world but six others.  He created man and woman and gave them life. He has knowledge imparted to him by drinking from the well of knowledge.  He was hung from the world tree while pierced by his own spear in order to learn the wisdom that would give him power in the nine worlds.   And to complete his omniscience he forced the spirit of a volga to give him all knowledge of past and future. And he has Hugin and Munin who are the living embodiment of thought and memory allowing him to know everything everyone else does.
I can't recall of Zeus having any feats to compare to this other than maybe some of the eternal punishments he inflicted, although Odin has a few of these as well. Zeus certainly doesn't possess much in the way of intelligence as he regularly gets duped by gods and mortals.  He did once state that if all the other gods took hold of a rope and he held the other they could not topple him. Nice strength feat, very comparable to things Thor has done in norse myth.  And Thor has stated he would never dream of attempting to overthrow his father because Odin was infinitly more powerful.  
Besides neither Odin nor Thor kept a male concubine like Zeus did. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but its not the first thing that comes to mind when your'e talking about skyfathers. 
Although I would love to see the entire catholic church go into collective apoplexy after finding out god was in fact gay.

I figure that Ares may be stronger since strength was part of his domain until Zeus granted it to Hercules. 
I remembered something from a mythology book I read in like 7th grade for Tyr's speed, I'm not sure of the exact quote but it basically said that Heimdall who sees everything within 1000 miles of him couldn't follow Tyrs movements in combat. 
I don't recall any such matching feat for Ares.  

As far as numbers go, that actually goes to Norse with 22 primary gods compared to 12 Greek.   Both have a variety of secundary gods. And while the Greeks could set the Titans free, that only evens the numbers.  Then the Norse call on the Valkyries, the heroes in Vallhalla, the giants, Hel, Fenris, and the Midgard Serpent, not to mention  Odins forebears Buri, Borr, and Bestla.
Norse curbstomp
#28 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:

" Odin created not only this world but six others.  He created man and woman and gave them life. He has knowledge imparted to him by drinking from the well of knowledge.  He was hung from the world tree while pierced by his own spear in order to learn the wisdom that would give him power in the nine worlds."

He created it with his two brothers.... While Zeus was quite capable of tearing down creation on his own. That he learned wisdom means nothing. What is wisdom going to help him in a a battle?

"  And to complete his omniscience he forced the spirit of a volga to give him all knowledge of past and future. And he has Hugin and Munin who are the living embodiment of thought and memory allowing him to know everything everyone else does.  "

She just recited the lore of the world to him. Nothing about omniscience.And her name is Volva. The ravens just bring him news. They don't make him omniscient.

"I can't recall of Zeus having any feats to compare to this other than maybe some of the eternal punishments he inflicted, although Odin has a few of these as well. Zeus certainly doesn't possess much in the way of intelligence as he regularly gets duped by gods and mortals. "

Aside from threatening to destroy the cosmos on a several different occasions.

" He did once state that if all the other gods took hold of a rope and he held the other they could not topple him. Nice strength feat, very comparable to things Thor has done in norse myth.  And Thor has stated he would never dream of attempting to overthrow his father because Odin was infinitly more powerful. "

Because there is a difference between strength and power. Hercules can beat Zeus in strength, but Zeus can still turn him into a worm on a whim. See? That Thor would not strike at his father doesn't mean Odin is physically more powerful than Thor. And besides, even if Thor doesn't want to attack his father, there are plenty of other beings that would, while Zeus (apart from two episodes) reigns unchallenged. Odin's power is at constant risk and will be toppled by the end.

"Besides neither Odin nor Thor kept a male concubine like Zeus did. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but its not the first thing that comes to mind when your'e talking about skyfathers. Although I would love to see the entire catholic church go into collective apoplexy after finding out god was in fact gay."
Such an ignorant comment. Being gay was quite normal in ancient Greece.

"I figure that Ares may be stronger since strength was part of his domain until Zeus granted it to Hercules."
Complete fabrication. Ares does have great strength, but strength was never his domain.

"I remembered something from a mythology book I read in like 7th grade for Tyr's speed, I'm not sure of the exact quote but it basically said that Heimdall who sees everything within 1000 miles of him couldn't follow Tyrs movements in combat. "
I don't recall that feat at all for Tyr.

" As far as numbers go, that actually goes to Norse with 22 primary gods compared to 12 Greek.   Both have a variety of secundary gods. And while the Greeks could set the Titans free, that only evens the numbers.  Then the Norse call on the Valkyries, the heroes in Vallhalla, the giants, Hel, Fenris, and the Midgard Serpent, not to mention  Odins forebears Buri, Borr, and Bestla.Norse curbstomp "
At which point the Greeks could call upon Typhon, who is about the size of the sky, Echidna, the Giants, and primordial deities. The playfield is completely even. The only problem for the Norse is that they can die. While the Greeks cannot. This  gives Greek Gods the win.
#29 Posted by Venom-Hulker_1 (1647 posts) - - Show Bio

there's already a thread about this.

#30 Posted by stevepidge (408 posts) - - Show Bio
Under no circumstances is this a Norse Curbstomp.
#31 Posted by lagoon_boy (10951 posts) - - Show Bio
zeus is has been named "the god of all gods" alot of times
#32 Posted by capall (8278 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
"Greek Gods by the virtue of being truly immortal.  Also, improbable as it seems, this was done before. Twice. "

agreed
#33 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
"Odin created not only this world but six others.  He created man and woman and gave them life. He has knowledge imparted to him by drinking from the well of knowledge.  He was hung from the world tree while pierced by his own spear in order to learn the wisdom that would give him power in the nine worlds.   And to complete his omniscience he forced the spirit of a volga to give him all knowledge of past and future. And he has Hugin and Munin who are the living embodiment of thought and memory allowing him to know everything everyone else does.I can't recall of Zeus having any feats to compare to this other than maybe some of the eternal punishments he inflicted, although Odin has a few of these as well. Zeus certainly doesn't possess much in the way of intelligence as he regularly gets duped by gods and mortals.  He did once state that if all the other gods took hold of a rope and he held the other they could not topple him. Nice strength feat, very comparable to things Thor has done in norse myth.  And Thor has stated he would never dream of attempting to overthrow his father because Odin was infinitly more powerful.  Besides neither Odin nor Thor kept a male concubine like Zeus did. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but its not the first thing that comes to mind when your'e talking about skyfathers. Although I would love to see the entire catholic church go into collective apoplexy after finding out god was in fact gay. I figure that Ares may be stronger since strength was part of his domain until Zeus granted it to Hercules. I remembered something from a mythology book I read in like 7th grade for Tyr's speed, I'm not sure of the exact quote but it basically said that Heimdall who sees everything within 1000 miles of him couldn't follow Tyrs movements in combat. I don't recall any such matching feat for Ares.   As far as numbers go, that actually goes to Norse with 22 primary gods compared to 12 Greek.   Both have a variety of secundary gods. And while the Greeks could set the Titans free, that only evens the numbers.  Then the Norse call on the Valkyries, the heroes in Vallhalla, the giants, Hel, Fenris, and the Midgard Serpent, not to mention  Odins forebears Buri, Borr, and Bestla.Norse curbstomp "

So did he create heaven and hell too?
#34 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

What is norse myth? Do they have a heaven or hell too? Also isn't their a roman myth too?
#35 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio

the norse gods 

#36 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod: zeus buried a god under a mountain that's pretty impressive. Plus the guy throws lightning at people. how cool is that?
#37 Posted by Light (9257 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidney said:
" What is norse myth? Do they have a heaven or hell too? Also isn't their a roman myth too? "
If i remember correctly they dont have a hell, only Valhalla which is like for dead warriors or w.e.
#38 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio
@glforthewin: 

the norse goddess Hela rules the norse hell which is a land of fire where men who died of old age or sickness were sent. 
Asgard is the realm of the gods. 
Inthe beginning there were only two planes, one of fire and one of ice. 
Odin killed Ymir, the first of the old gods and used his bones to make 7 different worlds, his blood to make seas, ect... 
Thor has humiliated all manner of gods in combat and he throws lightning bolts to.  
Zues uses his time as a divine being to make himself into a bull so he can rape maidens. 
Odin uses his to advance himself with all the accumulated knowledge past present and future.  That is impressive     
With Odin's knowledge no matter what the Greeks planned the Norse would have foreseen so when the Greeks showed up the Norse would already have them beaten.
#39 Edited by warlord1234 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

It could go either way. In mythology the norse gods were not immortal but they had more powerful spirit and they were very skilled with magic. The Greek gods are immortal but that does not mean they can not be wounded. Ares was notorious for getting wounded in battle against mortal warrior.
#40 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
"@glforthewin: the norse goddess Hela rules the norse hell which is a land of fire where men who died of old age or sickness were sent. Asgard is the realm of the gods. Inthe beginning there were only two planes, one of fire and one of ice. Odin killed Ymir, the first of the old gods and used his bones to make 7 different worlds, his blood to make seas, ect... Thor has humiliated all manner of gods in combat and he throws lightning bolts to.  Zues uses his time as a divine being to make himself into a bull so he can rape maidens. Odin uses his to advance himself with all the accumulated knowledge past present and future.  That is impressive     With Odin's knowledge no matter what the Greeks planned the Norse would have foreseen so when the Greeks showed up the Norse would already have them beaten. "

So people who die of old age or sickness go to hell? For what? What if they done good in life. 
So bascially only the gods be in heaven? All the humans go to hell?
#41 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek gods were not immortal, they ate ambrosia which granted immortality as long as they ate it every day.  With Odin the Norse would know this faster than you can say Achilles heel.  Also Odin was granted knowledge of his own doom. 
He knew practically at the beginning of time when he would die and the Norse pantheon would fall, and it wasn't because of the Greeks.
#42 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidney:
Vallhalla was the Norse version of heaven and was reserved for Warriors who died in combat. They then would spend their time fighting, feasting and wenching until Ragnarok when they would be called  upon to fight once more for the gods.
Most everyone else was relegated to a limbo like place or , in the case of cowards, which is how you would be seen if you were a warrior who succombed to old age or illness, you went to hel. In fact it was not uncommon for someone who was ill or elderly to go and picka fight with the strongest warrior they could find, just so they could die fighting.
Leading a "good" life didn't impact anything one way or the other.
#43 Posted by MisterGuyMan (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with Norse.  They were warriors first and foremost.  Their entire existence was justified by fighting.  The only pantheon I'd back against the Norse are the Hindu gods.

#44 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek Gods

#45 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
" Greek gods were not immortal, they ate ambrosia which granted immortality as long as they ate it every day.  "
Yet, Prometheus endured for eons on end without any food having his liver torn out every day....

"With Odin the Norse would know this faster than you can say Achilles heel."
Because....a fortune teller told him his destiny? He is not omniscient.

"He knew practically at the beginning of time when he would die and the Norse pantheon would fall, and it wasn't because of the Greeks. "
And this knowledge makes him bulletproof? The circumstances have changed and the future is no longer valid. All that's valid is that they die.
 Also, Odin wasn't at the beginning of time.
#46 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod said:
"@Sidney: Vallhalla was the Norse version of heaven and was reserved for Warriors who died in combat. They then would spend their time fighting, feasting and wenching until Ragnarok when they would be called  upon to fight once more for the gods.Most everyone else was relegated to a limbo like place or , in the case of cowards, which is how you would be seen if you were a warrior who succombed to old age or illness, you went to hel. In fact it was not uncommon for someone who was ill or elderly to go and picka fight with the strongest warrior they could find, just so they could die fighting.Leading a "good" life didn't impact anything one way or the other. "

I'm talking about regualr humansl ike you and me who did other stuff what happen to us?
#47 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

He answered your question already:
@yodagod said:

" Most everyone else was relegated to a limbo like place or , in the case of cowards, which is how you would be seen if you were a warrior who succumbed to old age or illness, you went to Hel. In fact it was not uncommon for someone who was ill or elderly to go and pick a fight with the strongest warrior they could find, just so they could die fighting.Leading a "good" life didn't impact anything one way or the other. "
#48 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is off topic and all but is roman myth the same as greek myth or different? They said greek myth took stuff from roman myth.
#49 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidney:
Actually Roman borrowed from Greek. They are very similar but because of culture are different.
#50 Posted by TheGuy (595 posts) - - Show Bio
@yodagod: Technically the Romans did have their own gods and legends from when the roman kingdom existed, but that was even before Athens came to power.