#1 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome!

So... we're all used to tournaments with many comic books and anime/manga characters... so I was thinking, why don't we give some other characters a chnce to get some spotlight? Well, this tourney is made just for that.

You cannot use any anime/manga characters, or any comic-book character (that includes Star Wars)!!!

You can use only characters from movies, tv shows, books, etc. Each participant can choose only ONE character. You can't use the movie/tv version of any comic book character.

I will be determining the matchups, and also the specific rules for each matchup (prep time, location, etc). All matchups and rules would be determined RANDOMLY!!!

There are 16 available spots as for now, but if more people would want to take part then I'll add some more spots. Maybe I'll hop in if I can.

List of participants:

1. I_Like_Swords: Legolas
  2. Dratini1331: Xin (The Xin Series)
  3. SuperDrummer: Spook (Mistborn)
  4. heymanjack: Sing (Kung Fu Hustle)
  5. Cooldes: Finn
  6. Funsiized:Alison Sekemoto (Blood of Eden)
  7. joewell: Red X
  8. TheTrueBarryAllen: Hatter Madigan (The Looking Glass Trilogy)
  9. Betatesthighlander1: Conan the Barbarian
  10. zr0c00I: Xena the Warrior Princess
  11. OmgOmgWtfWtf: Nameless (Hero)
  12. Juiceboks: Afro Samurai
  13. OptimusPalm: Beorn
  14. NeonGameWave: Martin Mystery
  15. The_Red_Viper: Will Treaty (Ranger's Apprentice)
  16. Floopay: Drizzt Do'Urden
  17. Mattersuit: The Painted MaN
  18. Strongarm: Hugo Danner (Gladiator)
  19. DarkRaiden: Jimmy Neutron
  20. ImmortalOne: Holly Short
  21. GodEmperorOfManKind: Amon
  22. Skit: Brock Samson
  23. Mythologico4: Azula (Avatar)
  24. Thedarklordpandamonium: Benedict of Amber
  25. Dextersinister: Jarlaxle
  26. AngryHulks: John Matrix (Commando)

Rules and limitations-must read before choosing a character!

• Physical strength: no more than 2 ton.
  • Characters that have telepathic abilities won't be able to use them.
  • Standard equipment for everyone. Any explosives with a radius of over 20 meters will be reduced to 20 meters.
  • Healing factor: nothing above pre-52 Deathstroke.
  • Characters that have insta-kill magical abilities (like Eragon's Deathwords or Avada Kedavra) won't be able to use them.
  • Characters that have telekinetic abilities won't be able to use them.
  • Element manipulation: nothing above: Katara (water/ice), Azula (fire/lightning).
  • Durability: nothing above pre-52 Deathstroke.
  • Characters that have shape-shifting abilities won't be able to use them.
  • Speed and reflexes: nothing above book-4 Eragon, or Adrian Veidt for example.
  • Energy projection: Nothing above movie-version Iron Man.
  • Characters that have matter manipulation abilities won't be able to use them.
  • Characters that have reality manipulation abilities won't be able to use them.
  • Characters that have time manipulation abilities won't be able to use them
  • Characters from the same universe would have prior knowledge on each other if they have crossed paths before (for example, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley would have prior knowledge of each other, but Jaime Lannister and Khal Drogo wouldn't).
  • Morals are OFF.
  • No video-game characters (sorry Skyrim fans, I love that game too!).
  • Transportation methods can't be used, except for animals (like horses. No dragons or anything like that, though).
  • No Duplication, phasing, power-absorption, power-mimic, tele-dismemberment, tele-drop, teleporting inside of people, soul possession, summoning, or earth manipulation (yes, I copied this one from @fetts. Thanks :D)
  • No invulnerability (like Percy Jackson's Achilles Curse).
  • If you think that someone chose a character that is over the limits, please let me know.
  • If a character that was chosen is over the limits, it would be either nerfed or it would have to be replaced.
  • You may disagree with me, but I'm the one to determine if your character is in or out.

Teams:

• jowell and Mythologico4
  • Thedarklordpanadium and Dextersinister
  • I_Like_Swords and Floopay
  • OmgOmgWtfWtf and The_Red_Viper
  • OptimusPalm and Betatesthighlander1
  • DarkRaiden and SuperDrummer
  • ImmortalOne and Mattersuit
  • heymanjack and Funsiized
  • Dratini1331 and AngryHulks
  • TheTrueBarryAllen and Strongarm
  • Skit and zr0c00I
  • Juiceboks and GodEmperorOfManKind
  • Cooldes and NeonGameWave

This is my first tourney and I hope it's a good setup, if anyone more experienced has any suggestions or something, please let me know!

Have fun :D

#2 Edited by Dextersinister (5090 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: If Dovahkin is disallowed I would recommend removing silent protagonists altogether. Fans tend to exaggerate there level of skill despite having no actual showings cough cough Link cough cough.

You should probably use an example other than Eragon as like me a lot of people will have no idea what that limit is.

#3 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: If Dovahkin is disallowed I would recommend removing silent protagonists altogether. Fans tend to exaggerate there level of skill despite having no actual showings cough cough Link cough cough.

You should probably use an example other than Eragon as like me a lot of people will have no idea what that limit is.

Expanding on this, I'd maybe rule out game characters altogether. In my experiences with them, especially ones determined by a set level, they are extremely hard to translate into a debate. They rely on game mechanics and such, and it makes them difficult to convert into any scenario other than their game.

Maybe just keep it to all other kinds of media?

Also, save me a spot because I'll definitely take part!

#4 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure I'll add more examples :)

@dextersinister said:

Expanding on this, I'd maybe rule out game characters altogether. In my experiences with them, especially ones determined by a set level, they are extremely hard to translate into a debate. They rely on game mechanics and such, and it makes them difficult to convert into any scenario other than their game.

Maybe just keep it to all other kinds of media?

Also, save me a spot because I'll definitely take part!

I guess you're right. And no problem! :)

#5 Posted by SuperDrummer (680 posts) - - Show Bio

I like... I would use Rand, but hes far over the limits (Demolishing armies singlehandedly and such). Would either Vin from Mistborn or Kyler from the Night Angel Trilogy be acceptable?

#6 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

I like... I would use Rand, but hes far over the limits (Demolishing armies singlehandedly and such). Would either Vin from Mistborn or Kyler from the Night Angel Trilogy be acceptable?

I don't know either of them, but if you can tell me a little about their abilities and gear I'll be able to tell you. And I'm glad you like it! :)

#7 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I would like a reserved spot, but I have a question. Is it that we can't use characters with comics? Or that we can't you character's comic feats. e.g. The Doctor is primarily a TV character, but he still has some Comics.

Let me brainstorm on some ideas for characters for a while.

#8 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I'll be using... the Doctor!

I'm aware he does have comics, but I'll only be pulling feats from his TV shows. I've never read a Who comic anyway.

#9 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (8194 posts) - - Show Bio

Grr, all the characters I'd want to use here are over-limits Y. Y

#10 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I would like a reserved spot, but I have a question. Is it that we can't use characters with comics? Or that we can't you character's comic feats. e.g. The Doctor is primarily a TV character, but he still has some Comics.

Let me brainstorm on some ideas for characters for a while.

That depends on the character. The doctor would be allowed (if he was within the limitations). And of course no comic book feats.

#11 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Are you sure he's within the limitation? I'm not much of an expert when it comes to him.

#12 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: But they're so good, sometimes... Anyways, the comics are the ones where they show him building The Moment and some other stuff during the time wars.

#13 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: But they're so good, sometimes... Anyways, the comics are the ones where they show him building The Moment and some other stuff during the time wars.

I'll definitely have to check some out.

@i_like_swords: Are you sure he's within the limitation? I'm not much of an expert when it comes to him.

Well, in terms of physiology there's a few things that make him superior to humans. He has two hearts. He's got superhuman stamina. He's basically just a lot more durable than humans are. What would burn a humans hand, the Doctor could touch without discomfort or damage. He doesn't need air. He's withstood exposure to electricity that would kill a normal human with only minimal damage. He's resistant to cold, too. He can also absorb and expel radiation, although I don't think that was explored much.

Honestly though, he's not over any limits. The dangerous thing about him is that he's intelligent, and has a lot of experience. And his dang screwdriver will do just about anything it asks you to.

#15 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: OK, what about his healing factor? How powerful is it? And can you tell me more about the screwdriver? Thanks :)

#16 Posted by SuperDrummer (680 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyler: Superhuman durability (Can block things such as swords with no damage), Superhuman speed (A blur to the normal eye), Superhuman strength (Able to lift a giant chest of gold estimated to take two strong horses), Mastery of poisons & antidotes, magic absorption (No limit), matter eating (Can casually jump through solid rock & Trees), Blade master (World class by teenage years, by 21 one of the best in history), capable of creating illusions, Regeneration... yea, nevermind, he passes the limits. Easy.

Vin: The ability to burn metal flakes to gain the following abilities: Iron; can pull any piece of metal towards her (or pull herself to it if shes lighter than the source), Steel; same as Iron but pushing, Tin; superhuman senses in every sense, especially through hazes (Such as mist *gasp*), Pewtor; can enhance all physical abilities by up to four times that of an average man, Bronze; can detect other burning of metal (essentially useless), Copper; can hide burning of metals (Again, useless), Zinc; Can inflate emotions, Brass; Can sooth emotions, Duraluminum; uses the entire reserve of a metal in one intense burst, Atium; can see the immediate future, and increases mental capacity to use it effectively in a fight (Burns very fast, and is very rare, so VERY short supply). She is considered to be immensely talented and powerful, and is able to take out threats far more powerful than her consistently. She is proficient with most weapons, but mostly uses staffs and daggers (The later of which is her primary weapon) She carries a coin pouch and uses coins as a projectile with her steel(Probably launching them at near mach speed).

#17 Edited by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331 said:

@the_red_viper said:

Well, in terms of physiology there's a few things that make him superior to humans. He has two hearts. He's got superhuman stamina. He's basically just a lot more durable than humans are. What would burn a humans hand, the Doctor could touch without discomfort or damage. He doesn't need air. He's withstood exposure to electricity that would kill a normal human with only minimal damage. He's resistant to cold, too. He can also absorb and expel radiation, although I don't think that was explored much.

Honestly though, he's not over any limits. The dangerous thing about him is that he's intelligent, and has a lot of experience. And his dang screwdriver will do just about anything it asks you to.

I'm saying you remove regeneration. Otherwise he can easy mode stomp since he's too hard to kill + Regenerative latent energy. Also, we have no idea who he would become next =O What if he throws a fit because he's not ginger?

#18 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes: You mean Danny Phantom? Is he vulnerable to physical damage?

And I'm pretty sure Johnny Bravo is way below 2-ton, but I dunno if he's a good choice for a tourney like that, lol

About gear, you can pick any STANDARD gear (for example, Batman used guns once, but it's not standard equipment so he can't use it in the tourney [ignore the fact that he's a comic book character in the 1st place]).

#19 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: OK, what about his healing factor? How powerful is it? And can you tell me more about the screwdriver? Thanks :)

If he is damaged sufficiently, he can "regenerate", which is basically means he will heal from his injuries and return with a new appearance. But if the Doctor was killed in this tourney he wouldn't have time to regenerate, so there's no worries there.

The screwdriver serves many purposes. It's primary use is scanning things but it does so much more. Is there a limit on gear?

#21 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper said:

If he is damaged sufficiently, he can "regenerate", which is basically means he will heal from his injuries and return with a new appearance. But if the Doctor was killed in this tourney he wouldn't have time to regenerate, so there's no worries there.

The screwdriver serves many purposes. It's primary use is scanning things but it does so much more. Is there a limit on gear?

So he can just immediately heal himself from any physical injury?

And the screwdriver is OK I guess, unless it can insta-kill people or anything like that.

#22 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords said:

@dratini1331 said:

@the_red_viper said:

I'm saying you remove regeneration. Otherwise he can easy mode stomp since he's too hard to kill + Regenerative latent energy. Also, we have no idea who he would become next =O What if he throws a fit because he's not ginger?

Eh, doesn't it take a long time to regenerate? Like he goes into a self-induced coma while he heals. That'd basically be a KO in this tourney, which is a sufficient way to win.

#23 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords said:

@the_red_viper said:

And the screwdriver is OK I guess, unless it can insta-kill people or anything like that.

No, not exactly. He essentially dies and comes back to life. If he's damaged enough to die, he can go into a self induced coma, heal, and come back with a new appearance (and personality, apparently), but this is a very lengthy procedure, and is essentially a KO in battle terms. The reason there are 11 Doctors with 11 actors is because they've all regenerated. But it's not like he has some crazy healing factor.

#25 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by SuperDrummer (680 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords said:

@the_red_viper said:

The screwdriver is mostly (as far as I am aware) used to manipulate technology (As in turning things on/off/getting information out of it/breaking them), and I don't recall it being used on anything living.

#27 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by heymanjack (707 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@heymanjack: I assume he isn't as powerful as Aang so yeah, it's OK.

#30 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: No, only David Tennant did that, and that was because he was still suffering the effects of the time vortex. My issue with is that characters that do not know about time lords wouldn't know to double tap. Regeneration takes about 30-60 seconds, but he's also expelling large amounts of energy. Also, if he succeeds, he's pretty far above the regen limit, being shown to regrow hands, and River being shown to not only take bullets, but return the kinetic energy as a wave.

If you don't want to use it, it's the same anyways, so I'm fine with it.

#31 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: No, only David Tennant did that, and that was because he was still suffering the effects of the time vortex. My issue with is that characters that do not know about time lords wouldn't know to double tap. Regeneration takes about 30-60 seconds, but he's also expelling large amounts of energy. Also, if he succeeds, he's pretty far above the regen limit, being shown to regrow hands, and River being shown to not only take bullets, but return the kinetic energy as a wave.

If you don't want to use it, it's the same anyways, so I'm fine with it.

How powerful are those waves? If they're no stronger than movie Iron Man energy blasts, then it's OK.

#32 Edited by Phoenixgeist (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: how many spots are left?

and yeah danny phantom's real name is danny fenton.

And about ben 10? should i use him or one of his specific aliens, because if i can then i'd like to use him please

#33 Edited by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331: So, I won't be using regeneration then. I'll be doing my homework on the Doctor in the meantime.

That thing about returning kinetic energy.. does he normally do that or only after regenerating?

#34 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes said:

@the_red_viper: how many spots are left?

and yeah danny phantom's real name is danny fenton.

And about ben 10? should i use him or one of his specific aliens, because if i can then i'd like to use him please

About Ben-10-shapeshifting isn't allowed.

About Danny-is he susceptible to any physical damage? I don't seem to recall.

#35 Edited by kidman560 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

can I use The Question

#36 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: It should be insignificant, as ILS doesn't use Regen. The waves vary greatly depending on a lot of things. The re-directive waves are equivocal to what the Time Lord or Lady gets hit with. I'll try to make this simpler:

The doctor is within the bounds of this tournament. The only reason I hesitate about him is that he basically has a free resurrect that in some matches can be game breaking or considered "imbalanced". If a Time Lord or Lady regenerates, they are basically immortal for a full 24 hours. We also have no idea what they would do because they are an entirely different person. They could just give up and go home because they're bored, or they could go bat @#$% crazy and destroy everything possible. We don't know.

It's just hard to debate regeneration when we have no feats for the new character. E.g., the 10th doctor refuse to use a gun, yet 9 and 11 both use them on a semi-regular basis and have little problem with using them.

On the same note, it's entirely possible to stop them from doing this by killing them a second time during the regeneration process, but if you can't then you're screwed. The Doctor can also regenerate small wounds, but cannot regenerate from certain poisons. It becomes too complicated to be debating just how one character dies. So long as the rules state, "resurrections means disqualification", or if ILS jsut doesn't agree with using it, then everything is perfectly hunky-dory fine.

#38 Posted by SuperDrummer (680 posts) - - Show Bio

About Danny-is he susceptible to any physical damage? I don't seem to recall.

He is tangible when attacking, if I remember. I don't think he crosses any lines, as long as he can't overshadow people

#39 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords said:

@dratini1331: So, I won't be using regeneration then. I'll be doing my homework on the Doctor in the meantime.

That thing about returning kinetic energy.. does he normally do that or only after regenerating?

Yes, only after regenerating. The explanation is that they have some left over energy from the regeneration that lies around for about 24 hours, like how David Tennant regrew his hand. Otherwise, he's just a normal dude with some higher durability and 2 hearts.

#40 Posted by Strongarm (5523 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords said:

Yes, only after regenerating. The explanation is that they have some left over energy from the regeneration that lies around for about 24 hours, like how David Tennant regrew his hand. Otherwise, he's just a normal dude with some higher durability and 2 hearts.

Right, gotcha. Without that leftover energy, in the event of a regeneration, the Doctor couldn't regrow a lost limb? He'd be a new Doctor without an arm, for example?

Something like that, anyway.

#42 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I'd like to use Xin, titular character from the Xin series by LifePoint1. This guy:

fear my flash animation character >=D

#43 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: It should be insignificant, as ILS doesn't use Regen. The waves vary greatly depending on a lot of things. The re-directive waves are equivocal to what the Time Lord or Lady gets hit with. I'll try to make this simpler:

The doctor is within the bounds of this tournament. The only reason I hesitate about him is that he basically has a free resurrect that in some matches can be game breaking or considered "imbalanced". If a Time Lord or Lady regenerates, they are basically immortal for a full 24 hours. We also have no idea what they would do because they are an entirely different person. They could just give up and go home because they're bored, or they could go bat @#$% crazy and destroy everything possible. We don't know.

It's just hard to debate regeneration when we have no feats for the new character. E.g., the 10th doctor refuse to use a gun, yet 9 and 11 both use them on a semi-regular basis and have little problem with using them.

On the same note, it's entirely possible to stop them from doing this by killing them a second time during the regeneration process, but if you can't then you're screwed. The Doctor can also regenerate small wounds, but cannot regenerate from certain poisons. It becomes too complicated to be debating just how one character dies. So long as the rules state, "resurrections means disqualification", or if ILS jsut doesn't agree with using it, then everything is perfectly hunky-dory fine.

Then ILS should choose one incarnation of the Doc that doesn't break the rules and that'd be fine, no? @i_like_swords

@superdrummer then he's good, thanks :)

@strongarm can you tell me more about their abilities and gear? If they're OK then you'd have to choose one.

#44 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I'd like to use Xin, titular character from the Xin series by LifePoint1. This guy:

fear my flash animation character >=D

Can you tell me more about their abilities and gear?

#45 Posted by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331 said:

@i_like_swords said:

Right, gotcha. Without that leftover energy, in the event of a regeneration, the Doctor couldn't regrow a lost limb? He'd be a new Doctor without an arm, for example?

Something like that, anyway.

Yep. Though, I believe they can regenerate small parts of them given time. In one of the episodes, "The Angels take Manhattan", River Song breaks her wrist, but the doctor is heals it with some of his energy. I do no believe he can do this with mortal wounds or for himself, though I could be wrong.

But yes, if he lost an arm midway through a his life, he'd only have one arm.

#46 Posted by i_like_swords (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I'll still be able to pull feats from all 11 doctors, but I'll use the 11th in the actual battle.

#47 Posted by Phoenixgeist (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: Oh yeah, i forgot that ben is technically shape shifting...

and no he can't go intangible while attacking. but he also phases so i guess he's out too

no video game characters at all now? not just skyrim? so ryu is out...

hold on, i WILL find a cartoon character that fits into these specs, mark my words...

#48 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4075 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Edited by Dextersinister (5090 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Dratini1331 (6415 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: Sure. He's a martial artist/school thug type of person. The premise of the series is that a high school, Public High School 1368, decides they need to take down two gang leaders of the school, Andre and Ghai, who are causing problems just before "inspection". They can't do it themselves, as the only teacher that really poses any threat to the two gang leaders is the school dean, Mr. Dom, and because it would tarnish public image. Instead, they call on a student who's grown a reputation for dealing with gang problems, and that's Xin.

He's highly skilled, and is physically about the level of batman. He is shown to be a powerful and resourceful fighter. He has excellent observational skills and can match almost anyone in the series in stats (except Legend, because Legend's a BAMF). His only gear is his body and skills. He also has one technique labeled as "bone shredding" that allows him to basically fight through broken arms or legs. It's sort of like he gets his bones dislocated rather than broken, and can pop them back into place. He still suffers heavy damage from them though, so it's not quite a healing factor. He also can't heal cuts or bruises, only broken bones.

Durability wise, he can be smashed through a wall, and strength wise, he can fracture the front of someone's skull with his grip strength. he also has excellent stamina and is quick, even by most character's standards (except for Legend, because once again, Legend's a BAMF).