Nightwing vs Cyclops

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fetts

No prep. Morals on. Fight takes place in the Avengers Mansion. They start 5 feet away from each other. Fight is to KO 

vs 
vs 
No Caption Provided
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

morals on, Nightwing, he is the second greatest acrobat in the Dcu besides Deadman, he would have no problems dodging cyke's beams, then he'll get in close enough to take him down with superior martial arts skills 

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By progenitorigin

Considering Grayson's acrobatic background and H2H training, i'd say he outclasses Summers even if Summers was trained by Captain America for a time.  Nightwing has enough speed and agility to dodge the optic beams while having enough gadgets to probably put him down, including the suit's tazer.
PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By PikminMania
@Fetts: I'm going to have to go with Cyclops, but slightly.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
@The Stegman said:
morals on, Nightwing, he is the second greatest acrobat in the Dcu besides Deadman, he would have no problems dodging cyke's beams, then he'll get in close enough to take him down with superior martial arts skills 
this is correct, and they start 5 ft. apart, I would think Dick is faster than Slim.....thats what she said :)
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Cyclops wins. Even with morals on, he has amazing accuracy and spatial awareness. He can hold his own long enough in H2H if Nightwing gets close. Even close, it would be worse for NW since one shot would take him out.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@cattlebattle said:
@The Stegman said:
this is correct, and they start 5 ft. apart, I would think Dick is faster than Slim.....thats what she said :)
ba ziiiiiing!
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Edgeworth_11

If they are five feet apart , NW is out cold in a second.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@cattlebattle:  

Michael Scott approves of this
Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fetts
@The Stegman said:
Hhhmm. Despite the fact that he is the second greatest acrobat in the DCU, can he dodge Cyke's optic blasts at close range? I have no doubt he could dodge them at say 20 ft. But they start 5 feet away. Could he dodge an optic blast that close? Or would Cyclops not even have a chance to shoot at him? Scott isn't too bad with H2H combat himself. Obviously he's not in Nightwing's league in terms of H2H combat. But would Cyke's own knowledge of H2H combat hold him off to get a hit on him with his optic blasts?  
weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By weaponxx

Pretty sure cyclops would be able to tag him... 

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Edgeworth_11
@Fetts said:
@The Stegman said:
Hhhmm. Despite the fact that he is the second greatest acrobat in the DCU, can he dodge Cyke's optic blasts at close range? I have no doubt he could dodge them at say 20 ft. But they start 5 feet away. Could he dodge an optic blast that close? Or would Cyclops not even have a chance to shoot at him? Scott isn't too bad with H2H combat himself. Obviously he's not in Nightwing's league in terms of H2H combat. But would Cyke's own knowledge of H2H combat hold him off to get a hit on him with his optic blasts?  

That is it exactly.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Fetts:  

@The Stegman said: 

Even as Robin, Dick was able to dodge bullets at point blank range, he has dodged blasts from Mr. Freeze, Clayface's attacks and well..pretty much all of the bat rogue's abilities, and he has only gotten better with age, they start of close but i think that Nightwing is a bit faster than scott (being a natural acrobat) and would instantly be able to gain some ground, he could then lay down smoke bombs for cover, or throw a well aimed billy club toward cyke's head to disorient him or destroy his visor. after that he goes in, moving fast and takes down cyke with pressure points or hitting vital organs
Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fetts
@The Stegman said:

@Fetts:  

@The Stegman said: 

Even as Robin, Dick was able to dodge bullets at point blank range, he has dodged blasts from Mr. Freeze, Clayface's attacks and well..pretty much all of the bat rogue's abilities, and he has only gotten better with age, they start of close but i think that Nightwing is a bit faster than scott (being a natural acrobat) and would instantly be able to gain some ground, he could then lay down smoke bombs for cover, or throw a well aimed billy club toward cyke's head to disorient him or destroy his visor. after that he goes in, moving fast and takes down cyke with pressure points or hitting vital organs
I actually have reason to believe optic blasts are faster than bullets. Cyclops usually is able to hit Logan  with his optic blasts when they have fights. But Wolverine is a bullet timer.  

I could see the billy club thing work, but I'm not sure how successful the smoke grenade thing would be. I doubt Dick would try to do that. 
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Edgeworth_11
@The Stegman said:
@Fetts:  

@The Stegman said: 

@The Stegman: 
The last thing he wants to do is destroy his visor. Bullets are no optic blast. Cyclops' blast travel faster, wider, and gives Scott options.
nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By nightwing91

Dick with such a short starting distance accompanied by morals should be able to take this. As he has a high level of speed. Seeing how this is set up Dick has quite a few ways to win, including a 100,000 volt taser, escrima sticks richoceting off a wall, colorless knock out gas.or a variety of other ways to win this at such a short distance.

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fetts
@Edgeworth_11 said:
@The Stegman said:
@Fetts:  

@The Stegman said: 

@The Stegman: The last thing he wants to do is destroy his visor. Bullets are no optic blast. Cyclops' blast travel faster, wider, and gives Scott options.
I can see where you would point that out. But....  

1. The fight is to KO and Cyclops wouldn't want to kill (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe without his visor he could kill a man). So therefore Cyclops would be given no choice and he'd have to forfeit or let Nightwing kick the crap out of him. 

2. A billy club to the face would allow time for Nightwing to move into close range and beat the crap out of Scott and knock him unconscious or something. 

The only question is could Nightwing wip a billy club before he get a face load optic blast?  
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Fetts:  

I

actually have reason to believe optic blasts are faster than bullets. Cyclops usually is able to hit Logan  with his optic blasts when they have fights. But Wolverine is a bullet timer.  

I could see the billy club thing work, but I'm not sure how successful the smoke grenade thing would be. I doubt Dick would try to do that.

true, the blasts are probably faster, but it's nothing Nightwing hasn't seen before, he's gone against people with energy based attacks before, heck he's trained with starfire, and why wouldn't the smoke grenade work? it would blind cyclops, but since Nightwing has infrared in his mask, he would still be able to see, it's probably the FIRST thing Dick would do 

@Edgeworth_11:  

@The Stegman: 

The last thing he wants to do is destroy his visor. Bullets are no optic blast. Cyclops' blast travel faster, wider, and gives Scott options.

morals on, cyclops would keeps his unrestrained blast from hitting and possibly killing Nightwing, he will be blinded. and i agree that the blast is more versitile, but i still gotta say Dick's reaction time is better than Scott's as soon as he sees cyclps reaching for his visor, he'll already be on the move
Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fetts
@The Stegman: I think Cyclops could hit him before Dick could get a smoke grenade off. At this distance I think Dick's first reaction would be using H2H combat.
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Edgeworth_11

With this distance. Cyclops takes out NW before he gets a chance to do anything. Honestly, this fight is kinda a joke. NW would go down with 1 hit. And being just 5 feet away, he has no chance to dodge or react at all.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cattlebattle
@Edgeworth_11 said:
With this distance. Cyclops takes out NW before he gets a chance to do anything. Honestly, this fight is kinda a joke. NW would go down with 1 hit. And being just 5 feet away, he has no chance to dodge or react at all.
You think Cyclops has faster reflexes than Nightwing....I don't know about that, NW dodges bullets for breakfast, I'm pretty sure I've seen Scott get shot before
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Edgeworth_11
@cattlebattle said:
@Edgeworth_11 said:
You think Cyclops has faster reflexes than Nightwing....I don't know about that, NW dodges bullets for breakfast, I'm pretty sure I've seen Scott get shot before

No I don't think his reflexes are better. But it just requires him to look at NW. Nightwing, to throw a punch, kick, pull out a gadget, etc, would take longer than Cyclops blast hitting him.
Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Dex_Starr

Dick has dodged Starfire's star bolts at point blank range before. 

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Static Shock

@Hohenheim_of_light: Starfire isn't as accurate as Cyclops is, and he's tagged faster people than Nightwing.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dex_Starr
@Static Shock said:

@Hohenheim_of_light: Starfire isn't as accurate as Cyclops is, and he's tagged faster people than Nightwing.

At a few feet you don't have to be insanely accurate, especially if your projectiles move at sound speeds.  
I wasn't really implying that Cyclops couldn't tag Nightwing though, I just thought I would throw it out there that Dick dodged a similar type of attack.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Static Shock

@Hohenheim_of_light: Oh, okay.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I'm gonna say this comes down to if Nightwing usually uses his taser or vomit smoke bombs or something like that at the start of this fight. He knows nothing of Cyclops but I don't think it matters for vice versa. If he goes into this h2h or with his escrima sticks, Cykes may not be as good of a h2h but he can contend with him long enough to get a shot on Grayson which he really only needs one or two shots to do so.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmoothJammin
@The Stegman said:

Is there any legitimacy behind this? Where does it state that Deadman is DC's greatest acrobat (sorry if this is off topic)
THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

I think Cyclops could land hit with his beam before NW could get close enough to land a strike on Scott. If Nightwing managed to get close enough to be within physical striking range, I think he would defeat Scott pretty soundly.  

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
@THUNDERBOLT30 said:
I think Cyclops could land hit with his beam before NW could get close enough to land a strike on Scott. If Nightwing managed to get close enough to be within physical striking range, I think he would defeat Scott pretty soundly.  
This is where I disagree abit. Now hear me out, but I'd say that Cyclops can hang with NW not defeat him h2h, but enough to give him trouble which also makes also allows Scott a closer range for his attacks, he doesn't need to touch his visor for his optic blasts to fire.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Static Shock

@SmoothJammin said:

Is there any legitimacy behind this? Where does it state that Deadman is DC's greatest acrobat (sorry if this is off topic)

You might have to check Nightwing, issues 102-103. Deadman has appearances in both of them, so you might find what you're looking for there. I have the issues, but I'm still at the beginning of the series, so I don't want to spoil myself by skipping over several issues.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30
@god_spawn said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

This is where I disagree abit. Now hear me out, but I'd say that Cyclops can hang with NW not defeat him h2h, but enough to give him trouble which also makes also allows Scott a closer range for his attacks, he doesn't need to touch his visor for his optic blasts to fire.

Hmmm You could be right and I get what your stating but I haven't seen any feats from Cyclops to think he could hang with someone of NW's caliber in h2h combat. I believe Scott holds a high degree belt or 2 in martial arts but knowing martial arts doesn't mean he is instantly a skilled h2h fighter, and I can't recall a fight he has had with other trained and/or experienced fighters to see how he would fare, though I think suspect he would probably do pretty well. I recall the techniques he used when he judo tossed Colossus when the X-Men were manipulated by Mastermind, and the nerve pinch he did on Kitty and when he briefly went at with Wolverine during the Proteus story arc but he was using his powers though and Logan was not fighting with his martial skills. I also recall him defeating a group of 5 or 6 guys/thugs when he couldn't open his eyes, which is fairly impressive, but just not as impressive if his opponents are not formidable (no training, no experience), and most X-Men have similar showings of fighting and beating up thugs (with him being blind though I find his more impressive than theirs). Maybe there is something that I am missing but what has Scott done to support that he could give trouble to NW?
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
@THUNDERBOLT30: I probably should've been a bit more specific. What I mean is he isn't going down quickly enough to the point he can't get a shot off. Scott's h2h isn't exactly the best and he hasn't defeated many credible opponents but I think just the fact he has practically tangled with the X-men by himself, did show the skill to defeat even some random thugs without his eyesight, it may not be spectacular but still shows he is skilled enough of a fighter in his own right. Scott does lack alot of the advantages NW has, agility, speed, the strength, the skill but that has never stopped him before nor has he really needed to defeat a credible h2h fighter considering the fire power he brings to the table. I know you know your X-men stuff quite well, probably more so than I do. But Scott has learned to incorporate his h2h skills, his own acrobatic skills and his powers all into 1 which is what I see giving him the win if it comes down to a strike fest. He isn't going down easily against NW in a fight and I see him getting maybe one part of an opening to pull off an optic blast and that's really all Scott needs.
Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fetts
@god_spawn: I heard Scott was also trained by Cap in H2H combat for a little while.
EpitomeofCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EpitomeofCool

nightwing only because of the distance.....

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fetts

Bump.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Honestly, the "5 feet starting distance" makes this a complete toss-up in my eyes.  Nightwing is among the most agile the DC non-metas have to offer, so it's perfectly logical with that insanely short distance he can dodge one shot, then swiftly take out Scott in h2h.  There's still the opportunity for Scott to win here in this situation, though.  Sure, Grayson has him wrecked in h2h, but Scott is competent in that regard (thanks to his study of judo and such), so he really just needs to avoid being knocked out, and it's possible he can land an opic blast during the close range melee battle.  Not saying he'd do that each time, but it's possible.

However, it's every bit as likely Scott can land that one-shot from the start (thanks to the speed of his blast and his own accuracy), dishing out major damage to Grayson and immediately turning the tide in his favor. 

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By whacknasty
@k4tzm4n said:
Honestly, the "5 feet starting distance" makes this a complete toss-up in my eyes.  Nightwing is among the most agile the DC non-metas have to offer, so it's perfectly logical with that insanely short distance he can dodge one shot, then swiftly take out Scott in h2h.  There's still the opportunity for Scott to win here in this situation, though.  Sure, Grayson has him wrecked in h2h, but Scott is competent in that regard (thanks to his study of judo and such), so he really just needs to avoid being knocked out, and it's possible he can land an opic blast during the close range melee battle.  Not saying he'd do that each time, but it's possible. However, it's every bit as likely Scott can land that one-shot from the start (thanks to the speed of his blast and his own accuracy), dishing out major damage to Grayson and immediately turning the tide in his favor.  
Well said. 

I also am wondering why most are assuming Cyke is going to be limited to one blast at a time...like an old muzzle loading gun...lol. 

Wouldn't Cyke be able to fire his blasts as fast as his eyes could focus on Grayson? Or as fast as he can focus on a wall or something for ricocheting shots? 

I suppose that leads to the argument of pupil movement/dilation vs bullet speeds or something though, and I'm not touching that one...lol
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@whacknasty
I haven't read the current debate, so I can't speak for them...But I believe due to the short starting distance and Grayson's own speed/agility, Scott only has the time to fire one shot before he's in striking distance.
jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jayskee

dick
Blue_Daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightwing easily wins.
Cyclops though he has a lot of fighting experience its nothing compared to Nightwing. So H2H Nightwing wins no contest.
Powers, though Nightwing has no powers, Cyclops powers are based on hitting what he can see. Nightwing has trained for stealth, on top of his acrobatic ability.
The only way Cyclops would have a chance is to out think him. But again Nightwing could match him on strategy as well.

Avatar image for thebattlecalculatot
TheBattleCalculatot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 feet away? Dick's gonna dodge the little red volts, then take Cyclops down pretty quick. This guy is the second best fighter in the DC universe, after all. Cyclops can only hit what he can see, and Nightwing is a master of stealth. Nightwing wins.

TaskBlaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for sistergrimm2099
SisterGrimm2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Considering Grayson's acrobatic background and H2H training, i'd say he outclasses Summers even if Summers was trained by Captain America for a time. Nightwing has enough speed and agility to dodge the optic beams while having enough gadgets to probably put him down, including the suit's tazer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night Wing