Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By The Average Bear
This is quite the interesting topic. I think with his regenerating abilities, Superman will have a hard time keeping CN down. But then again, the specifics for defeat were never given.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

For the sake of the thread here's Current Nefaria getting taken down by the New Avengers (New Avengers finale) 

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Lvenger
@The Average Bear:  Specifics for defeat are KO just to make it clear
emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By emmbro30

With CN in his current state, Superman takes this fairly easily.  Now back in the day when CN was at his peak, I can see him giving supes a real fight.  CN's downfall would be his arrogant attitude.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Static Shock

Count Nefaria has been nerfed.

Avatar image for czarny_samael666
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By czarny_samael666
@Jake Fury :

He was so weak, because Ms. MArvel abosrbed part of his power.

Current/Classic CN will lose. He didn't showed FTL reaction speed to my knowledge, so he isn't able to keep up with Supe.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lvenger
@emmbro30:  Wait are you saying that in his current state CN is weaker than at his peak, say around about the time he recieved his abilities? I was imagining they were both the same power level but are they?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:
" Current/Classic CN will lose. He didn't showed FTL reaction speed to my knowledge, so he isn't able to keep up with Supe. "
Superman doesn't have FTL reaction speed, anyway.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lvenger

Just so the fight doesn't seem unfair I've rechanged the Count Nefaria to a classic version when he was at peak power to give him more of a chance

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By czarny_samael666
@Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" Current/Classic CN will lose. He didn't showed FTL reaction speed to my knowledge, so he isn't able to keep up with Supe. "
Superman doesn't have FTL reaction speed, anyway. "
He showed nanosecond reaction, which I always considered as FTL reaction speed.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:
" He showed nanosecond reaction, which I always considered as FTL reaction speed. "
He's never displayed that. I know what showing you're referring to, also. It was when Superman was carrying that baby, and he said something about needing 'a nanosecond more' while traveling at superhuman speeds from point A to point B. All that tells me is that he needed to cover a certain distance in a certain amount of time (the nanosecond he was referring to). 

It's not like he's actually displayed reaction time against attacks faster than light or anything.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By velle37
@czarny_samael said:
" @Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:
Superman doesn't have FTL reaction speed, anyway. "
He showed nanosecond reaction, which I always considered as FTL reaction speed. "

Taking a nanosecond to process an attack, then reacting...... 

And reacting faster than the speed of light..........

Are two different things..........
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Static Shock
@velle37 said:
"Taking a nanosecond to process an attack, then reacting......  And reacting faster than the speed of light.......... Are two different things.......... "
Agreed.
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By czarny_samael666

So for You guys, Gladiator and Hyperion are faster than Superman?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:

" So for You guys, Gladiator and Hyperion are faster than Superman? "

The subject is debatable as we speak... Superman has been able to utilize his superhuman speed and reaction time in battle many times, and so far, narration normally leaves the extent of it vague.

Then again, we didn't see Thor fight with nanosecond speed, and was he was able to contend with Gladiator.
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By czarny_samael666
@Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:

" So for You guys, Gladiator and Hyperion are faster than Superman? "

The subject is debatable as we speak... Superman has been able to utilize his superhuman speed and reaction time in battle many times, and so far, narration normally leaves the extent of it vague. Then again, we didn't see Thor fight with nanosecond speed, and was he was able to contend with Gladiator. "
Keeping up with someone, when he shouldn't is PIS. But Thor already showed nanoseond speed reaction, was too fast (not while flying) for Human Torch's eye and showed fighting speed equal to speed of his thunders (1/3 speed of light) while he was fighting with Surfer.
But we also have seen Black Cloak and Hulk fights with Gladiator, so we can say for sure that such a fights are PIS. 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:
" Keeping up with someone, when he shouldn't is PIS. But Thor already showed nanoseond speed reaction.
When?

@czarny_samael said:
" was too fast (not while flying) for Human Torch's eye
Human Torch has normal human reflexes. Even then, it's difficult to quantify how fast Thor was moving there.

@czarny_samael said:
" fighting speed equal to speed of his thunders (1/3 speed of light) while he was fighting with Surfer.
1/3 speed of the light isn't even close to nanosecond speeds. Even then, lightning doesn't actually move that fast all the time. The speed of lightning varies with each strike, but is half the speed of light at the maximum. So, even though his speed was lightning-quick, it can't be quantified, either.

@czarny_samael said:
" But we also have seen Black Cloak and Hulk fights with Gladiator, so we can say for sure that such a fights are PIS.  "
How so? His fight against Hyperion was the only fight where he actually displayed nanosecond battle speed (with it being stated on panel). In others, not so much.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

Superman wins this very cool and interesting battle.  The Count just can't match Supes overall power, but he'd give him a good go.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssejllenrad

Superman wins but Nefaria gets Lois.. Ehehehehe!

Avatar image for strongestonethereis
StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Count goes down hard 
No contest
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By difficlus

Supes ftw

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By czarny_samael666
@Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" Keeping up with someone, when he shouldn't is PIS. But Thor already showed nanoseond speed reaction.
When?
I was thinking about microsecond speed reaction. IDK why I've said "nano".

@Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" was too fast (not while flying) for Human Torch's eye
Human Torch has normal human reflexes. Even then, it's difficult to quantify how fast Thor was moving there.

HT has superhuman reflex and it was a prove that he has super-reaction speed not in travel.

@Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:
" fighting speed equal to speed of his thunders (1/3 speed of light) while he was fighting with Surfer.
1/3 speed of the light isn't even close to nanosecond speeds. Even then, lightning doesn't actually move that fast all the time. The speed of lightning varies with each strike, but is half the speed of light at the maximum. So, even though his speed was lightning-quick, it can't be quantified, either.
According to books and sites in which I've checked it, it was stated that thunder can "fly" in 1/3 speed of light.
Besides, it happened in fight with Silver Surfer, thanks to which it should be consider as a max speed of thunders.

@Static Shock said:
" czarny_samael said:
" But we also have seen Black Cloak and Hulk fights with Gladiator, so we can say for sure that such a fights are PIS.  "
How so? His fight against Hyperion was the only fight where he actually displayed nanosecond battle speed (with it being stated on panel). In others, not so much. "

I'm saying that Gladiator has nanosecond reaction speed only because he showed it in battle. Hulk and Black Cloak didn't, so they don't have it. Ergo, Gladiator wasn't using his super-reaction speed in battle with them. In his fight with Hulk he was weakned by some radiation, but with BC he just didn't use it, so it is PIS for me.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:

HT has superhuman reflex and it was a prove that he has super-reaction speed not in travel.

When has he ever displayed that?

@czarny_samael said:

According to books and sites in which I've checked it, it was stated that thunder can "fly" in 1/3 speed of light.
Besides, it happened in fight with Silver Surfer, thanks to which it should be consider as a max speed of thunders. 

I've checked other sources, too. Lightning doesn't always move that fast, so there's no telling if Thor was move 1/3 speed of light, either way. The speed of lightning varies between a certain range. Just because 1/3 speed of light is a maximum (and it's not, 1/2 speed of light is) doesn't always mean that it's moving that quick all the time. Then again, both figures may not even be accurate, since the speed of lightning depends on a lot of factors.

From Answers.com 

"But lightning itself travels nowhere near as fast as the speed of light. Lightning is an electrical discharge and is bound by the laws of physics. Its speed depends on many factors, including the conductivity of the medium it is traveling through. It is very difficult to measure the speed of lighting, first, because it is extremely quick! And secondly, close observations are very dangerous! Rough estimates put the speed of lightning at about half the speed of light, at most, with some parts of its journey being much slower.

Careful scientific measurements of many lightning flashes have revealed that the electricity moves at different speeds at different stages of its journey in the lightning flash. Also, its returning upstroke is much faster than its downstroke. The Guinness Book of Answers indicates a maximum speeds around 87,000 miles per second.

The USA Department of Energy gives the speed of lightning as 93,000 miles per second, which maybe a 'rough guide' figure based on the 'half the speed of light' principle!"

From ucar.edu 

" The whole sequence is "lightning fast." The leader travels at 220,000 kilometers (136,000 miles) per hour, the pauses between steps take 50 millionths of a second, the return stroke moves at over 100 million kilometers (62 million miles) per hour, and all subsequent strokes are so fast the eye sees a single flickering lightning bolt."

http://www.ucar.edu/communications/factsheets/Lightning.html

It even says the return stroke is faster than the leader stroke, and even the return stroke (62 million mph comes out to 17,222 miles/sec) isn't close to 1/3 speed of light (62,000 miles/sec).

@czarny_samael said:

"I'm saying that Gladiator has nanosecond reaction speed only because he showed it in battle.

But that was one battle out of all other fights he's been in. How are the more consistent showings considered PIS?
Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Thor's hammmer

current Super beats him with ease  

Classic Superman wins mainly due to his other powers not Strength and Durability.
StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Thor's hammmer said:
"current Super beats him with ease   Classic Superman wins mainly due to his other powers not Strength and Durability. "

Golden Age Supes gets stomped
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Static Shock
@StrongestOneThereIs: I think he was referring to Silver Age Superman.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger
@StrongestOneThereIs said:

" @Thor's hammmer said:

"current Super beats him with ease   Classic Superman wins mainly due to his other powers not Strength and Durability. "
Golden Age Supes gets stomped "
   I got into a massive debate/disagreement with erik about this on the GA Superman vs WWH thread. He was showing me all this evidence about how Golden Age Supes was beginning to get more and more powerful. Not at SA Levels but not at the early year power levels i.e impervious to exploding shells, only being able to lift ships, tanks, trains and the like and only being able to leap not fly. he was more powerful then than when he was first conceived. If it was from the Siegel Shuster era then Superman would get stomped. But later on in the Golden Age Superman would have more of a chance against Nefaria
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By czarny_samael666
@Static Shock said:
" @czarny_samael said:

I've checked other sources, too. Lightning doesn't always move that fast, so there's no telling if Thor was move 1/3 speed of light, either way. The speed of lightning varies between a certain range. Just because 1/3 speed of light is a maximum (and it's not, 1/2 speed of light is) doesn't always mean that it's moving that quick all the time. Then again, both figures may not even be accurate, since the speed of lightning depends on a lot of factors.

From Answers.com 

"But lightning itself travels nowhere near as fast as the speed of light. Lightning is an electrical discharge and is bound by the laws of physics. Its speed depends on many factors, including the conductivity of the medium it is traveling through. It is very difficult to measure the speed of lighting, first, because it is extremely quick! And secondly, close observations are very dangerous! Rough estimates put the speed of lightning at about half the speed of light, at most, with some parts of its journey being much slower.

Careful scientific measurements of many lightning flashes have revealed that the electricity moves at different speeds at different stages of its journey in the lightning flash. Also, its returning upstroke is much faster than its downstroke. The Guinness Book of Answers indicates a maximum speeds around 87,000 miles per second.

The USA Department of Energy gives the speed of lightning as 93,000 miles per second, which maybe a 'rough guide' figure based on the 'half the speed of light' principle!"

From ucar.edu 

" The whole sequence is "lightning fast." The leader travels at 220,000 kilometers (136,000 miles) per hour, the pauses between steps take 50 millionths of a second, the return stroke moves at over 100 million kilometers (62 million miles) per hour, and all subsequent strokes are so fast the eye sees a single flickering lightning bolt."

http://www.ucar.edu/communications/factsheets/Lightning.html

It even says the return stroke is faster than the leader stroke, and even the return stroke (62 million mph comes out to 17,222 miles/sec) isn't close to 1/3 speed of light (62,000 miles/sec).

@czarny_samael said:

"I'm saying that Gladiator has nanosecond reaction speed only because he showed it in battle.

But that was one battle out of all other fights he's been in. How are the more consistent showings considered PIS? "
I have a cold, so I will try to make fast answer.

1.I belive that all people who can fly fast have at least superhuman reaction speed, because they know when turn left or right to avoid buildings.
2.You've said that it is 1/4 speed of light, now that it is 1/2 speed of light. I'm saying that it is 1/3 speed of light.  It seems that in different sources we have different answers.
3.Because it is an objective feat. If he would suprise Silver Surfer without something in narration, this would be PIS.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:

" 1.I belive that all people who can fly fast have at least superhuman reaction speed, because they know when turn left or right to avoid buildings.

But, he doesn't have a descent display of superhuman reaction time, still. Even then, his speed is barely supersonic. He's not as fast as you think...

@czarny_samael

said:

" 2.You've said that it is 1/4 speed of light, now that it is 1/2 speed of light. I'm saying that it is 1/3 speed of light.  It seems that in different sources we have different answers.

I'm pretty sure I know what sources you looked at. They've only given a maximum speed of what lightning can achieve. I also never said that lightning was 1/4 the speed of light in any of my posts. 

Answers varies from source to source because lightning obviously varies with its speed every time it strikes (and it's hard to measure, also), and within the whole process, different stages of lightning take places at different speeds. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what I'm saying is that lightning isn't always 1/3 the speed of light every time it strikes. If this is the case, the feat in itself cannot be quantified. I bet the scan says just 'lightning' or 'lightning-quick.' It doesn't saying '1/3 the speed of light,' does it?

@czarny_samael said:
" 3.Because it is an objective feat. If he would suprise Silver Surfer without something in narration, this would be PIS. "
Huh?
Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By termiteone4ever

Supes Got this

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By czarny_samael666
@Static Shock  :
1.I am not sure, but I won't argue about that. This wasn't even point of my example.
2.I doubt it, becasue it was polish site about wheater. 
3.Objective feat. Like destroying a planet, surviving supernova or planet explosion. That is why if in narration is in indication that he has nanosecond reaction speed - he has it, but if he just fought with some very fast people he doesn't automatically have super-reaction speed.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lvenger

All right so that Nefaria doesn't get completely ignored here are some feats for him. First off he has the powers of the members of the 2nd Lethal Legion Living Laser (energy projection) Whirlwind (speed) and Power Man [Erik Josten] (strength) magnified a hundredfold

• Strength - He has toppled a 30 story building with little effort. Strength class is considered to be equal to Thor and Hulk

No Caption Provided

Durability - He has withstood a direct blow from Wonder Man without flinching, fought an enraged Thor and stopped his hammer attack with his bare hands. Has fought multiple teams of Avengers and laughed it off

Stamina: Giant Man calculated that it would take 3 weeks of constant combat without even giving Nefaria time to breath in order for the Avengers and the Thunderbolts to deplete his ionic enrgy supply.

No Caption Provided

Speed: Has been clocked as flying at speeds of over 5,000 mph.

Energy Projection: Not sure but is probably 100 times more powerful than the Living Laser's energy blasts
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By czarny_samael666

Do he also has speed of Living Laser?

StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: 

Those are great feats based on Marvel standards 
Easily lifting a 30 stroy building is nothing to easily lifting a pyramid 
And Superman once caught and held up a falling skyscraper 

The durability was a good show though 
He is more powerful now when he drains more ionic energy

And he was stronger than Thor. not equal

@czarny_samael
said:

"Do he also has speed of Living Laser? "

His speed comes from the Whirlwind 
He just doesn't need to spin to apply it 

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lvenger
@StrongestOneThereIs:  Yeah I guess you're right about that although Thor has been in several of the threads I've seen been considered equal in strength to Superman so that's why I put the Thor one there. DC do generally have greater more outlandish power feats though e.g Superman lifting pyramid. And I always thought that Nefaria was equal to Thor in strength not greater. Anyway it is difficult finding feats for Nefaria. I still haven't found any good ones for speed or energy projection though. BTW when did Superman catch a falling skyscraper?
StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger said:
" @StrongestOneThereIs:  Yeah I guess you're right about that although Thor has been in several of the threads I've seen been considered equal in strength to Superman so that's why I put the Thor one there. DC do generally have greater more outlandish power feats though e.g Superman lifting pyramid. And I always thought that Nefaria was equal to Thor in strength not greater. Anyway it is difficult finding feats for Nefaria. I still haven't found any good ones for speed or energy projection though. BTW when did Superman catch a falling skyscraper? "

Im not one to ever think that Thor is as strong as Superman 
And Nefaria showed signs as being stronger IMO beacause how the fight was shown
Nefaria's feats before the change was in that Avengers book pictured 
He was shown as fast as Quicksilver and believe himself to be faster 
Superman caught the skyscraper during the Infinity Crisis 
I think the first book.  
It was funny because Blue Devil was old to catch it 
He said "I'm strong, but not that strong" 
The Superman jumped in and said "I got it"
CaptainRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainRodgers
@emmbro30:
hey thats my Picture ! , just kidden , i'll  change
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Static Shock
@czarny_samael said:
2.I doubt it, becasue it was polish site about wheater
Meteorologists study weather. Fulminologists study lightning. There's a difference (and one of my sources came from the University of Atmospheric Research). Anyway, what is there to doubt, really? 

There was a site that Vuviper used as a source of the speed of lightning, and it had several different figures of speed for lightning, and everything. What he showed everyone was the most accurate data. When I find it, I'll let you know.

@czarny_samael said:
" 2.I doubt it, becasue it was polish site about wheater.  3.Objective feat. Like destroying a planet, surviving supernova or planet explosion. That is why if in narration is in indication that he has nanosecond reaction speed - he has it, but if he just fought with some very fast people he doesn't automatically have super-reaction speed. "
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lvenger

I'm bumping this as I've changed the conditions to New 52 Superman vs Classic Nefaria. Who wins now?

ravirdubey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ravirdubey

@lvenger:

In The 1970's Avengers (164-166) Nefaria had 100x the strength of Power Man, 100x the speed of Whirlwind, and 100x the laser intensity of The Living Laser. This was a story concocted by John Byrne to be "The Avengers vs. Superman" . Only this "Superman" was slower and weaker (by far) than the Silver Age Superman. A tornado spins at 150mph and 100x that is 15Kmph which is orders of magnitude slower than the speed of light (1970's Superman could exceed the SOL and break the time barrier (Once he actually flew 2x the speed of light to break the time barrier extremely fast). Also Nefaria was MUCH weaker. Suppose Power Man could (graciously) press 100 tons, which is Thor's average strength. 100x that would be 10000 tons. The 1970's Superman could move the Earth, which weighs 132,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons.

The Nu52 Superman can lift the weight of the Earth for five days before breaking a sweat (according to Superman #13) and fly to the sun in the "blink of an eye", which lets say is just sublight speed (no time travel). Superman's heat vision can reach nova-hot temperatures, which is about even with Nefaria.

Superman could also see Nefaria from any distance away, hear his heartbeat, scent his pheromones, throw a rock and nail him with ridiculous aim. Superman can fly, has freeze breath (from rapid condensation of inhaled air where the heat has been drained), doesn't really need to breathe, and is nigh indestructible. Superman is constantly recharging from the Earth's sun, a huge portion of whose energy goes through the entire planet. Nefaria has enormous energy reserves but can't fly and lacks any super senses.

Summary: Silver Age or Nu52 Superman each badly pwn Nefaria. Golden Age definitely loses. 1980's Superman probably loses. Early 1990's Superman (before gaining light speed after turning "electric" and back to normal) has a tough fight, and that's probably the best battle. Away from a Yellow Sun, it's all CN. In space or underwater (or pretty much anywhere else) it's Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lvenger

@ravirdubey: Yeah I pretty much came to that conclusion myself years ago. Back when I was a lesser Viner with not as much knowledge of the battle forums or Superman as I have nowadays. This thread probably isn't one of my finest moments suffice to say.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days
No Caption Provided

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ancient_0f_days: @lvenger: @czarny_samael666: Just tagging Ancient of Days because he was the most recent post..

As mentioned earlier with Lvengers, i see Count Nefaria as significantly more powerful than Superman, although before i start posting scans (given the sheer volume of it which will take me a while) i am bumping this for the time being to see what anyone can say...

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By reaverlation
Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reaverlation: Give me till tomorrow till i post the scans :p still waiting for 1 last series :)

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reaverlation: Still uploading what i have got on comicvine.. its gonna take me some time so i will be debating side by side opening a separate window :)