Posted by schillenger420 (816 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Ned Stark Vs. Sandor Clegane (18 votes)

Ned Stark 56%
Sandor Clegane 44%

Ned Stark finds out the Lannisters are plotting against the Throne. To find out he had to question a servant, and the servant being in truth loyal to the Lannisters tells them Ned's about to reveal their scheme. The Lannisters send Sandor Clegane to kill Ned (Can't send Jaime in case Sandor get's caught there's deniability). Sandor catches Ned in the Courtyard en-route to the Maesters. Words are exchanged and swords drawn.....

Who wins?

#1 Edited by ComicStooge (11993 posts) - - Show Bio

Ned dies horribly, again. :'(

#2 Edited by Herald417 (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandor stomps

#3 Edited by THC (367 posts) - - Show Bio

Ned, with relative ease.

Gregor Clegane > Sandor Clegane

Smiling Knight = Gregor Clegane

Arthur Dayne >>> Smiling Knight

Arthur Dayne >= Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister >= Ned Stark

#4 Posted by Cregan_Stark (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

@thc: No no no no. GRRM himself said that Ned is nothing more than above average as a swordsman while Jaime is legendary. Don't be fooled by that ridiculous fight on the tv show where Ned appeared to hold his own against Jaime, he would have been slaughtered if it were book versions. In the books they didn't want to kill Ned and just killed his men instead including Jory who was a fine warrior.

As for your comparisons, it's shown time and again that The Hound is superior to his brother with the sword.

Smiling Knight held his own against Arthur Freaking Dayne, he would murder stomp Gregor.

I agree with Dayne >> The Smiling Knight

Jaime isn't equal to Dayne, Barristan in his prime might be on Dayne's level if Daybe doesn't have Dawn but Jaime is a notch below these two. They are up in the top 4 all time with Daemon Blackfyre and Aemon the Dragonknight. Jaime is slightly below in a class with Cregan Stark.

Anyway, Hound beats Ned easily.

#5 Edited by Penderor (1212 posts) - - Show Bio

@cregan_stark: No, in fact it could be good duel and Ned has a chance.

#6 Posted by RogueShadow (9946 posts) - - Show Bio

TV versions - Ned.

Book - Gregor.

#7 Posted by Asura7 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Ned Stark has Ice which is strong enough to behead a man with one stroke. He'd destroy the Hound no problem.

#8 Posted by Thanofleeze (2429 posts) - - Show Bio

@asura7: Your avatar looks like Joffrey lol

#9 Posted by JakeN7 (10672 posts) - - Show Bio

Ned didn't have any time to wrack up feats before getting his head chopped off.

Hound for the win.

#10 Posted by BoringPerson (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

@cregan_stark: GRRM stated he loved the Jaime/Ned fight scene. Ned was no slouch, and was a hardened veteran with an otherworldly light greatsword.

Sandor is a longsword and shield kinda guy, and a fight with someone competent with a Greatsword should end up a fight of stamina... which is hard to call. Valyrian swords op.

#11 Posted by Cregan_Stark (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

@boringperson: I'm sorry but unless you are talking purely TV show and not books then you are wrong.

GRRM has explicitly stated that Ned is only an above average swordsman and an excellent commander. He also has stated that Sandor is one of the best Warriors in Westeros. This is also shown throughout the books.

Read so spake Martin.

Sandor wins easily unless this is show Ned. People are often fooled by the TV show version.

#12 Posted by Cregan_Stark (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

@penderor: Not unless you are talking about TV versions. If these are book versions then Ned dies horribly and quickly.

Once again, GRRM stated that Ned is not a great swordsman. He might be the best commander that we've seen but not a great swordsman.

#13 Posted by NEEK_03 (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

i didnt read the books sadly, i want to but i got into GOT from the show so i dont want to spoil it. i know if i start reading the books i will binge, so im stuck with the tv versions where i say ned in a close match.

i seriously am still pissed to this day that ned and drogo died so early, my two favorite characters. nowadays i like arya, denarius and then snow.

#14 Edited by Erkan12 (2381 posts) - - Show Bio

@cregan_stark said:

@thc: No no no no. GRRM himself said that Ned is nothing more than above average as a swordsman while Jaime is legendary. Don't be fooled by that ridiculous fight on the tv show where Ned appeared to hold his own against Jaime, he would have been slaughtered if it were book versions. In the books they didn't want to kill Ned and just killed his men instead including Jory who was a fine warrior.

As for your comparisons, it's shown time and again that The Hound is superior to his brother with the sword.

Smiling Knight held his own against Arthur Freaking Dayne, he would murder stomp Gregor.

I agree with Dayne >> The Smiling Knight

Jaime isn't equal to Dayne, Barristan in his prime might be on Dayne's level if Daybe doesn't have Dawn but Jaime is a notch below these two. They are up in the top 4 all time with Daemon Blackfyre and Aemon the Dragonknight. Jaime is slightly below in a class with Cregan Stark.

Anyway, Hound beats Ned easily.

Agreed. Unfortunately Ned was average soldier not bad about it but not special either, more like battle commander / strategist type.

But HBO showed him as equal to Jaime. If OP asking with tv show feats, then Ned has chance otherwise Hound stomps.

And Dayne would slaughter Ned, Howland Reed saved him.

#15 Posted by BoringPerson (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

@cregan_stark: Valyrian greatsword beats longsword and shield.

The books are not comics, the knights are just warriors. Ned is an above average fighter as compared to other people who were trained to be warriors from childhood as he was. The skill differential is not particularly significant.

Ned loses stamina more slowly due to the lightness of his sword and is skilled enough to keep up with Sandor. Sandor is unable to utilize his greater strength and heavier armor because of the reach and sharpness of Ice.

The Hound's in book fight feats aren't good enough for me to think his "skill" is enough of a factor to matter here.

#16 Edited by Cregan_Stark (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

@boringperson: I don't think I've ever seen someone be more wrong in a single post. Ned had no fighting feats in the books.

Read the series and then come back.

#17 Posted by Erkan12 (2381 posts) - - Show Bio