ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By ImmortalOne
@the_red_viper said:

I really don't think he's as fast as Nameless. For some reason the vids my partner posted aren't working but he's stated that Nameless can stop hundreds of arrows with little to no effort. I think he can stop Arlen.

I wasn't saying he was- I doubt Arlen can achieve the level of speed Nameless has shown. But he is fast, strong, and skilled. He may stop Arlen, but when you teleport right behind someone, you've got the advantage. I think Arlen could just stab Will, and if he has to face Nameless, I think he's proven to have enough power to at least hold him off. Since Arlen targeted Will, Holly would have targeted Nameless, and she's still invisible. She could just shoot Nameless while he's busy.

@the_red_viper said:

My point is, when Will sees the sand kicking up, he can just fire an arrow a few centimeters off the ground, at the estimated location Holly's at. Not to mention he can fire numerous arrows in rapid succession, at least one of which is bound to his. It's like they say-"A Ranger carries the souls of 24 men in his quiver" (or something like that).

First off, Will's going to be distracted by Arlen, unless of course, he's going to be perfectly concentrated on drawing his bow at an invisible enemy while Arlen holds a knife to his back? I don't think that he'd just target Holly with a likely chance that he'd be stabbed in the back. But even if he did, which is unlikely, Holly can shoot up from the ground at a pretty fast rate. If he sees some sand, then she would have already taken off, and would be soaring into the sky at an increasing speed. She's not going to just be a foot off the ground at the time of lift off.

@the_red_viper said:

How fast is her flying, exactly? Because you're forgetting that Will is stupidly fast, he can fire 3 arrows in a second, which means EXTREMELY fast. He sees the sand kicking up, and a quarter second later there's an arrow halfway to Holly's estimated location. Halt, Will's mentor, has done something similar once, with a throwing knife: his eyes were closed, and there was a monster charging at him, and he hit its eye only by estimating its location. It is said more than once that Will is better than Halt.

I know how fast Will is, but by the time he sees sand kick off, Holly will already be pretty far up in the air. It's not like he can estimate where Holly is, as he doesn't know how fast she can fly, or in which direction she took off. As for the speed of flight, it's not really specified on, but it's pretty fast. For example, in a short amount of time, she rises up to 7000 feet, presumably like an airline.

Holly strapped on her wings, and once the control booth had given her the go-ahead, she cleared the airlock, soaring to a height of seven thousand feet. There was plenty of cloud cover, but nevertheless she activated her shield. Nothing could spot her now; she was invisible to human and mechanical eyes. Only rats and two species of monkey could see through a fairy shield.

-The Eternity Code

In one moment, she can liftoff out of the range of a large explosion.

The explosion sucked the air from the tunnel, feeding on the oxygen. Multicolored flames roiled like the plumage of battling birds. Holly was shunted backward by a wall of shock waves, the force impacting every surface facing the commander. Microfilaments blew in her suit as they were overloaded with heat and force. The camera cylinder on her helmet popped right out of its groove, spinning into E37.

Holly herself was borne bodily into the chute, spinning like a twig in a cyclone. Sonix sponges in her earpieces sealed automatically as the sound of the explosion caught up with the blast. The commander had disappeared inside a ball of flame. He was gone, there was no doubt about it. Even magic could not help him now. Some things are beyond fixing.

The contents of the access tunnel, including Root and Scalene, disintegrated into a cloud of shrapnel and dust, particles ricocheting off the tunnel walls. The cloud surged down the path of least resistance, which was of course directly after Holly.

She barely had time to activate her wings and climb a few meters, before flying shrapnel drilled a hole in the chute wall below her.

-The Opal Deception, Chapter 3

In 90 minutes, she managed to fly from Dublin to Munich in 90 minutes. That's a speed of over 718 miles per hour. Although I admit, that was probably just a lack of research. I don't think she'd actually be able to go that fast.

It had taken Holly only ninety minutes to reach Germany. On a normal mission it would have taken at least twice that, but Holly had decided to break a few LEP regulations.

-The Opal Deception, Chapter 4

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@immortalone:

718 mph....

flying over 7000 ft in a matter of moments.....

Dude, that breaks the limits of speed...by like a lot.

The speed limit was Adrian Veidt.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ImmortalOne

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@immortalone:

718 mph....

It's travel speed. It's not like it's going to be much use in a fight anyway if she can fly long distances. Also, Nameless can deflect hundreds of arrows, and run around a room before a tea cup drops. Isn't that over the limits too? And that's combat speed.

Honestly though, I think the 718 miles thing was just a lack of research on writing. And it never mentioned that she flew up to 7000 ft in a matter of moments.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 the_red_viper  Moderator

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@immortalone:

718 mph....

It's travel speed. It's not like it's going to be much use in a fight anyway if she can fly long distances. Also, Nameless can deflect hundreds of arrows, and run around a room before a tea cup drops. Isn't that over the limits too? And that's combat speed.

Honestly though, I think the 718 miles thing was just a lack of research on writing. And it never mentioned that she flew up to 7000 ft in a matter of moments.

Veidt caught a bullet shot at him from point blank, from behind.

No Caption Provided

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

Veidt has more impressive feats in the Before Watchmen series.

No Caption Provided

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ImmortalOne

@the_red_viper said:

@immortalone said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@immortalone:

718 mph....

Veidt caught a bullet shot at him from point blank, from behind.

No Caption Provided

With the bullet feat, you could tell that his hands were already in place when Silk Spectre fired. So it's not so much snatching a bullet out of the air, as grabbing a bullet that's already aimed at his hands, which is still impressive. However, using your sword to deflect hundreds of arrows at a time, having the speed to slash apart a whole room of shelves before a cup falls, and taking apart whole armies with speed is much better.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper:

No Caption Provided

He's badass =P

That was a single bullet. And he never slashed apart a whole roomful of shelves before a teacup fell to the ground. And even with the bullet feat, you could tell that his hands were already in place when Silk Spectre fired. So it's not so much snatching a bullet out of the air, as grabbing a bullet that's already aimed at his hands, which is still impressive. However, using your sword to deflect hundreds of arrows at a time, having the speed to slash apart a whole room of shelves before a cup falls, and taking apart whole armies with speed is much better.

It wasn't "aimed at his hands" as you put it. You see the blur in the top right panel? That means Veidt's movements are a blur to the human eye. The scan OOWW posted also shows how fast he is.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Just stopping in to say that Hero is one of my favorite films. Carry on. :)

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ImmortalOne

@the_red_viper said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@the_red_viper:

No Caption Provided

He's badass =P

@immortalone said:
That was a single bullet. And he never slashed apart a whole roomful of shelves before a teacup fell to the ground. And even with the bullet feat, you could tell that his hands were already in place when Silk Spectre fired. So it's not so much snatching a bullet out of the air, as grabbing a bullet that's already aimed at his hands, which is still impressive. However, using your sword to deflect hundreds of arrows at a time, having the speed to slash apart a whole room of shelves before a cup falls, and taking apart whole armies with speed is much better.

It wasn't "aimed at his hands" as you put it. You see the blur in the top right panel? That means Veidt's movements are a blur to the human eye. The scan OOWW posted also shows how fast he is.

In the scan, Ozymandias already had his hands in front of him when Silk Spectre fired. He caught the bullet yes- but it's not as impressive as people make it out to be. I'm not saying it's not, but he didn't just grab the bullet after it was fired.

I don't really care either way, but if OmgOmg is going to call out my characters, I really don't think Ozymandias could deflect a hundred arrows at once with a sword or do the teacup feat. And that's actually more useful in fights, as combat speed is better than travel speed.

Also, if Holly's fast travel speed isn't allowed, how come teleportation is? Teleportation is fast travel speed, it's the fastest travel speed. You can get anywhere instantaneously. If Holly were to fly at 700 mph from one point to another, and Arlen were to teleport from the same exact points, you would call Holly out on it, but not Arlen.

It doesn't really matter though. Holly won't even be using fast travel speed, it's useless in fights like these.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 the_red_viper  Moderator

@immortalone: I wasn't calling out either of them, I was "protecting" Nameless.