NCOMT - DTLP & Dextersinister VS ILS & Floopay-VOTING!!!

• 104 results
the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@thedarklordpandamonium-Benedict of Amber

@dextersinister-Jarlaxle

@i_like_swords-Legolas

@floopay-Drizzt Do'Urden

Drizzt Do'Urden was walking through the desert, wondering why the F he's in a desert in the first place. He decided to take a nap on the sand.

Drizzt woke up to the voice of a man saying, "don't move. Who are you?" The man had pointed elf-ears, fabulous blond hair, and most importantly- a bow with a nocked arrow, aimed straight at his face.

"My name is Drizzt Do'Urden," he said calmly. With a quick move, he flipped the elf, drew his sword and put it against his throat.

"I told you my name, now it's your turn."

"My name is Legolas.Legolas of the Woodland Realm."

"The Woodland Realm? Why are you in a desert, then?" Drizzt lowered the knife and helped Legolas to his feet.

"I could ask you the same question. You don't really look like a camel yourself."

Drizzt and Legolas walked for several minutes, before Legolas stopped and exclaimed: "My elven vision shows me there are two men coming this way. They look hostile."

"How long?" Drizzt asked and drew his weapon.

"About five hours," Legolas replied.

------------

"There are two guys waiting for us. They wanna fight. Five hours from now," said Jarlaxle.

"How can you tell?" asked Benedict.

"A hunch," replied Jarlaxle.

Setting:

The fight will take place here:

No Caption Provided

The prologue might suggest Drizzt and Legolas have the element of surprise, but to make it fair-that's not the case. The two teams start facing each other. They can't fight each other until they're about 20 feet from one another.

Other rules:

• Both teams have 5 hours prep.
  • All combatants must specify the equipment they'd be using in this fight (STANDARD GEAR ONLY).
  • Fight to the death of course.
  • No outside help (includes summoning and such).

Good luck and have fun! :D

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jarlaxles gear.

NW is for clothing he has stored but doesn't wear unless stated

Jarlaxles equipment, alright here we go: several extra-dimensional devices throughout his clothing, wide brimmed hat, portable hole, mini hammer, necklace of missiles, many-hued piwafwi (cloak), boots of silence, (nw)Agathas mask, dragon statue, small black cloth, Jarlaxles eyepath, bracers of armor and dagger summoning, magical daggers, brooch of shielding,magical whistle , insignia, silvery cone, belt of the snake, crossbow and magic bolts, drow poison, healing orb, earring of grabbling, meld into stone, necklace of power and speed, healing water, light pellets

Wands - fireball, viscid globs, web, 2 lightning bolt, illusion, wall of stone, wall of wind, warmth, teleportation, detect magic, wand of feasting, illumination

Rings - jumping,cold/fire resistance,dimension door, (nw)clairvoyance, (nw)persistent image, freedom of movement, (nw)lie detecting

Provisions tucked away

Mount - Nightmare, a flying horse that can bellow out clouds of smoke.

These are magical items that he has pulled from his extra dimensional storage spaces throughout the years and not items he has used and given back. For instance he once owned the sword that Drizzt now owns most likely before Drizzt was even born so that is not listed as one of his items.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_red_viper  Moderator

bumpity bump bump

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: So if I avoid going within 20 feet of my opponents they can never attack me?

Avatar image for thedarklordpandamonium
Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Benedict of Amber's equipment:

-Armor

-Two swords

-Deck of Trumps

@i_like_swords@floopay:

Let's get debating...again...Q_Q

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: So we have agreed we won't attack each other until we are within 20 feet of each other?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: So we have agreed we won't attack each other until we are within 20 feet of each other?

To be honest.. it seemed kind of strict. I'm terrible with measurements but isn't 20 feet very close? Within running distance?

I won't cry about it but depending on how far 20 feet is I might prefer a bit larger of a distance.

Besides, it seems out of character for Legolas to wait until he's 20 feet in to kill someone whose trying to kill him. *Archers*

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

Given that Benedict can travel through the omniverse and take people with him can I take Jarlaxle with me and bring in an army/any items I want?

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister:

Given that we have 5 hours of prep

And that Benedict can walk through universes (easier if he's going to the home of the people he's taking) do you want any other stuff from Jarlaxle-land to use in the debate?

I'm just waiting to see what the limit is.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper: So if I avoid going within 20 feet of my opponents they can never attack me?

You're 20 ft of each other as soon as the fight starts.

@the_red_viper: How far by foot or horse to the nearest settlement?

Far.

@the_red_viper:

Given that Benedict can travel through the omniverse and take people with him can I take Jarlaxle with me and bring in an army/any items I want?

No outside help is allowed, but you can use any item that's in your character's standard arsenal and isn't above the rules.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_red_viper  Moderator

@thedarklordpandamonium: The battle has to start in the specified area. You can go to another universe but the fight's only gonna start once all of you are in the area, 20 ft from one another.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarklordpandamonium: The battle has to start in the specified area. You can go to another universe but the fight's only gonna start once all of you are in the area, 20 ft from one another.

TDLP isn't going to like this but I'm nerfing my own team. No multiversal travel, multiversal travel with prep is INSANE in any tournament but especially bad in a tournament with limitations as low as this one.

On to our prep

• First off use wand of warmth which has an endure element effect so we will stay nice and cool despite being in a sweltering desert.
  • Wave to Drizzt.
  • Trance for a couple of hours so I'm well rested. (Trance is elven sleep but they only need half as much).
  • Discuss our plan, I'm going to assume that we can't hear each other or observe each others prep
  • Take a drink of water.
  • Place a statue in a portable hole and say blue
  • Take our mounts further down the road
  • Just before the fight starts activate shield, levitate and cast wind wall through the area which should kick up a wall of dust but with Jarlaxles eyepatch he should have no trouble seeing through it as it allows him a degree of X-ray vision
  • Have a wand lightning in both hands and a pellet tucked up my sleeve. He was shown to be capable of using 2 wands at the same time when fighting a horde of Salamanders (fire element snake men) and then a Pit Fiend

When the fight starts Jarlaxle will also use his innate Drow ability to cloak the heads of both opponents in inky orbs of darkness, predicatbly Drizzt will almost certainly attempt the same but if he does Jarlaxle will tighten his sleeve crushing the light pellet which produces a sunlight effect cancelling out the darkness effect on us.

For his physical actions he will lightning bolt Lego and Drizzt who are blind never mind the wall of dust that would compromise there ability to aim dodge.

When they find their bows are useless they could attempt melee if they somehow survive but forcing your way through a sand cloud to a waiting opponent such as Benedict is suicide.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dextersinister
Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: @dextersinister:

If not, I'll also give you my card...my Trump card, that is. By looking into a card from the Deck you are instantly teleported to the location of the Prince of Amber depicted on the Trump, in this case me.

Being used to transport troops:

A gateway for some of my troops could be set up by means of the Trumps. It would surprise whatever was down there for Amber suddenly to come up with riflemen.

Drizzt is proooobably going to attempt to do some inky orbs of darkness on me, but due to his status as a Prince of Amber Benedict is immune to everything but physical harm. World-level mages have tried and failed, with all manner of magic, to attack him (such as Corwin!) Not that it matters, of course, due to the light pellet. No illusions, nothing.

Benedict vs Legolas:

Well...Legolas is only twenty feet away...

So...yeah. Benedict has dodged arrows on numerous occasions, such as in the Guns of Avalon during his battle against the hordes of hellmaids (admittedly he was nerfed as hell at this point), again during the Leviathan uprising, and of course in his infamous holding the pass against the Moonriders.

So Benedict should be able to take Legolas down easy.

Generic feats:

Corwin lifts a car because he's an Amberite. Benedict is just as strong.

I knew I was strong, but I had my doubts about being able to raise the rear end of a Mercedes. But on the other hand, I had to try, since he seemed to expect it of me, and I couldn't tip him off as to any gaps in my memory. So I stooped, squatted, grasped, and started to straighten my legs. With a sucking sound, the rear wheels freed themselves from the moist earth.

Corwin throws a large armchair at a guy thirty feet away and breaks his back, then leaps the same distance. As noted in the last paragraph, these guys are superhuman.

And I opened the door.

The first man tried to push me aside, and I stiff-armed him back.

There were six, I could see that.

"What do you want?" I asked them.

But never a word was spoken, and I saw guns.

I kicked out and slammed the door again and shot the bolt.

"Okay, they're really there," I said. "But how do I know you're not pulling something?"

"You don't," he said, "but I really wish I were. They look wild."

I had to agree. The guys on the porch were heavily built and had hats pulled down to cover their eyes. Their faces had all been covered with shadows.

"I wish I knew where we are," said Random,

I felt a hackle-raising vibration, in the vicinity of my eardrums. I knew, in that moment, that Flora had blown her whistle.

When I heard a window break, somewhere off to my right, I was not surprised to hear a growled rumbling and some baying. somewhere off to my left.

"She's called her dogs," I said, "six mean and vicious brutes, which could under other circumstances be after us.

Random nodded, and we both headed off in the direction of the shattering.

When we reached the living room, two men were already inside and both had guns.

I dropped the first and hit the floor, firing at the second. Random leaped above me, brandishing his blade, and I saw the second man's head depart his shoulders.

By then, two more were through the window. I emptied the automatic at them, and I heard the snarling of Flora's hounds mixed with gunfire that was not my own.

I saw three of the men upon the floor and the same number of Flora's dogs. It made me feel good to think we had gotten half them, and as the rest came through the window I killed another in a manner which surprised me.

Suddenly, and without thinking, I picke up a huge overstuffed chair and hurled it perhaps thirty feet across the room. It broke the back of the man it struck.

I leaped toward the remaining two, but before I crossed the room, Random had pierced one of them with the saber, leaving him for the dogs to finish off, and was turning toward the other.

The other was pulled down before he could act, however. He killed another of the dogs before we could stop him, but he never killed anything again after that. Random strangled him.

It turned out that two of the dogs were dead and one was badly hurt. Random killed the injured one with a quick thrust, and we turned our attention to the men.

There was something unusual about their appearance

Flora entered and helped us to decide what.

For one thing, all six had uniformly bloodshot eyes. Very, very bloodshot eyes. With them, though, the condition seemed normal.

For another, all had an extra joint to each finger and thumb, and sharp, forward-curving spurs on the backs of their hands. All of them had prominent jaws, and when I forced one open, I counted fortyfour teeth, most of them longer than human teeth, and several looking to be much sharper. Their flesh was grayish and hard and shiny.

Obscene stamina (fighting for hours against Amberites, who are just as strong as he and who have been training, the honor guard of the city) shown by Bleys, related to Benedict and showing off microsecond reaction times:

I'd say we were three-quarters of the way there when Bleys' turn finally came. He leaped forward, immediately dislodging the first man to face him. The point of his blade found the throat of the second, and the flat of it fell alongside the head of the third, dislodging him also. He dueled a moment with the fourth and dispatched him. My own blade was in my hand, ready, as I watched and advanced.

He was good, even better than I remembered him to be. He advanced like a whirlwind, and his blade was alive with light. They fell before ithow they fell, my friend! Whatever else you might say of Bleys, on that day he acquitted himself as became his rank. I wondered how long he could keep going.

He'd a dagger in his left hand, which he used with brutal efficiency whenever he could manage a corps à corps. He left it in the throat of his eleventh victim. I could see no end to the column which opposed us. I decided that it must stretch all the way to the landing at the top. I hoped my turn wouldn't come. I almost believed it.

Three more men plummeted past me and we came to a small landing and a turn. He cleared the landing and began the ascent. For half an hour I watched him, and they died and they died. I could hear the murmurs of awe from the men behind me. I almost thought he could make it to the top.

He used every trick available. He baffled blades and eyes with his cloak. He tripped the warriors. He seized wrists and twisted, with his full strength. We made it to another landing. There was some blood on his sleeve by then, but he smiled constantly, and the warriors behind the warriors he killed were ashen. This helped him, too. And perhaps the fact that I stood ready to fill the gap also contributed to their fears and so slowed them, worked on their nerves. They'd heard of the naval engagement, I later learned.

Bleys worked his way to the next landing, cleared it, turned again, began to ascend. I hadn't thought he could make it that far, then. I didn't think I could make it as far as he had. It was the most phenomenal display of swordsmanship and endurance I'd seen since Benedict had held the pass above Arden against the Moonriders out of Ghenesh.

He was tiring, though, I could see that, too. If only there were some way for me to relieve him, to spell him for a time. But there wasn't. So I followed, fearing every stroke might be his last.

I knew that he was weakening. We were within a hundred feet of the top at that point.

I suddenly felt for him. He was my brother and he'd done well by me. I don't think he thought he'd make it then, yet he was fighting on . . . in effect, giving me my chance for the throne.

He killed three more men, and his blade moved more slowly each time. He fought with the fourth for perhaps five minutes before he took him. I was certain the next would he his last.

He wasn't, though.

As he slew that man, I transferred my blade from my right hand to my left, drew my dagger with my right and threw it. It went in up to the hilt, in the throat of the next man. Bleys sprang over two steps and hamstrung the man before him, casting him downward. Then he cut upward, ripping open the belly of the one behind that one. I rushed to fill the gap, to be tight behind him and ready. He didn't need me yet, though.

He took the next two, with a new burst of energy. I called for another dagger and one was passed to me from somewhere along the line. I kept it ready till he slowed once more, and I used it on the man he fought. The man was lunging as it spun in, so the hilt rather than the blade caught him. It struck against his head, though, and Bleys pushed against his shoulder and he fell.

But the next man leaped forward, and though he impaled himself, he struck Bleys upon the shoulder and they went over the edge together.

By reflex, almost without knowing what I was doing, yet knowing fully in one of those microsecond decisions you justify after the fact, my left hand leaped to my belt, whipped out my pack of the Trumps and cast them toward Bleys as he seemed to hang there for an instant-so rapidly did my muscles and perceptions respond-and I cried out, "Catch them, you fool!"

Note Bleys hanging in air and the use of the word 'microsecond'...Amberites are fast. The speed cap for this tourney is Eragon, who @the_red_viper and I agree is Mach 1. This clearly shows that Corwin, who is =< Benedict, would be around this cap...yep, Benedict's peaked in physical stats.

The rest of this stuff is while Corwin is

I was perhaps fifty pounds underweight and still occasionally experienced double vision, but I was improving.

First hints that Grayswandir is magical.

It mattered not that it had been somewhere in Amber. It was here now, for the wood that I walked was in Shadow.

Amberites can create universes.

I was walking in Shadow, seeking a place, a very special place. It had been destroyed once, but I had the power to re-create it, for Amber casts an infinity of shadows. A child of Amber may walk amongthem, and such was my heritage.

You may call them parallel worlds if you wish, alternate universes if you would, the products of a deranged mind if you care to. I call them shadows, as do all who possess the power to walk among them.

I was drawing nearer to my Avalon when I came upon the wounded knight and the six dead men. Had I chosen to walk on by, I could have reached a place where the six men lay dead and the knight stood unwounded-or a place where he lay dead and they stood laughing.

Some would say it did not really matter, since all these things are possibilities, and therefore all of them exist somewhere in Shadow.

Amberites can lift enormous boulders with ease and carry men for 15 miles at a sprint.

I rose, drew my blade, and felled a sapling-about two inches in diameter-with one cut. Then I stripped it and hacked it to the proper length. I did it again, and with the belts and cloaks of dead men I rigged a stretcher.

He watched until I was finished, then commented:

"You swing a deadly blade. Sir Corey -and a silver one, it would seem. . ."

"Are you up to some traveling?" I asked him. Five leagues is roughly fifteen miles.

"What of the dead?" he inquired.

"You want to maybe give them a decent Christian burial?" I said. "Screw them! Nature takes care o its own. Let's get out of here. They stink already."

"I'd like at least to see them covered over. They fought well."

I sighed. "All right, if it will help yon to sleep nights. I haven't a spade, so I'll build them a cairn. It's going to be a common burial, though."

"Good enough," he said.

I laid the six bodies out, side by side. I heard him mumbling something, which I guessed to be a prayer for the dead. I ringed them around with stones. There were plenty of stones in the vicinity, so I worked quickly, choosing the largest so that things would go faster.

That is where I made a mistake.

One of them must have weighed around four hundred pounds, and I did not roll it. I hefted it and set it in place. I heard a sharp intake of breath from his direction, and I realized that he had noted this. I cursed then:

"Damn near ruptured myself on that one!" I said, and I selected smaller stones after that.

When I had finished, I said, "All right. Are you ready to move?"

"Yes."

I raised him in my arms and set him on the stretcher. He clenched his teeth as I did so.

"Where do we go?" I asked.

He gestured.

"Head back to the trail. Follow it to the left until it forks. Then go right at that place. How do you propose to. . . ?"

I scooped the stretcher up in my arms, holding him as you would a baby, cradle and all. Then I turned and walked back to the trail, carrying him.

"Corey?" he said.

"Yes?"

"You are one of the strongest men I have ever met-and it seems I should know you."

I did not answer him immediately. Then I said, "I try to keep in good condition. Clean living and all."

". . . And your voice sounds rather familiar."

He was staring upward, still trying to see my face. I decided to get off the subject fast.

"Who are these friends of yours I am taking you to?"

"We are headed for the Keep of Ganelon."

"That ratfink!" I said, almostdropping him.

"While I do not understand the word you have used, I take it to be a term of opprobrium," he said, "from the tone of your voice. If such is the case, I must be his defender in-"

"Hold on," I said. "I've a feeling we're talking about two different guys with the same name. Sorry."

Through the stretcher, I felt a certain tension go out of him. "That is doubtless the case," he said.

So I carried him until we reached the trail, and there I turned to the left.

He dropped off to sleep again, and I made better time after that, taking the fork he had told me about and sprinting while he snored. I began wondering about the six fellows who had tried to do him in and almost succeeded. I hoped that they did not have any friends beating about the bushes.

I slowed my pace back to a walk when his breathing changed.

"I was asleep," he said.

". . . And snoring," I added.

"How far have you borne me?"

"Around two leagues, I'd say."

Premonition and more magic.

So I ran through lengthening shadows, dismissing rising notions of pursuit, ambush, surveillance, until I could do so no longer.

They had achieved the strength of a premonition, and then I heard the noises at my back: a soft pat-pat-pat, as of footfalls.

I set the stretcher down, and I drew my blade as I turned. There were two of them, cats. Their markings were precisely

those of Siamese cats, only these were the size of tigers. Their eyes were of a solid, sun-bright yellow, pupilless. They seated themselves on their haunches as I turned, and they stared at me and did not blink.

They were about thirty paces away. I stood sideways between them and the stretcher, my blade raised.

Then the one to the left opened its mouth. I did not know whether to expect a purr or a roar. Instead, it spoke. It said, "Man, most mortal." The voice was not human-sounding. It was too highpitched.

"Yet still it lives," said the second, sounding much like the first.

"Slay it here," said the first.

"What of the one who guards it with the blade I like not at all?"

"Mortal man?"

"Come find out," I said, softly.

"It is thin, and perhaps it is old."

"Yet it bore the other from the cairn to this place, rapidly and without rest. Let us flank it."

I sprang forward as they moved, and the one to my right leaped toward me.

My blade split its skull and continued on into the shoulder. As I turned, yanking it free, the other swept past me, heading toward the stretcher. I swung wildly.

My blade fell upon its back and passed completely through its body. It emitted a shriek that grated like chalk on a blackboard as it fell in two pieces and began to bum. The other was burning also.

But the one I had halved was not yet dead. Its head turned toward me and those blazing eyes met my own and held them.

"I die the final death," it said, "and so I know you, Opener. Why do you slay us?" And then the flames consumed it.

Stamina -fighting for days with an opponent on par with him!

My brother Random looks and acts, on occasion, like an asthmatic, teen-age hood-but once we had fenced together for over twenty— six hours, to see who would call it quits. (If you're curious, it was me. I had had a date lined up for th next day and had wanted to arrive in reasonably good condition.) We could have gone on.

Corwin displays some magic. It fails, and though the creature is like 'I am a powerful demon!' Corwin is like '...I create universes in my spare time...something is up.' The reason the spell didn't work is because all the demons are created from Corwin...when a Prince of Amber is near dying as Corwin was when he was chained up, they can cast a curse with tremendous might.

Corwin's curse cast a shadow across the omniverse.

(also the thing is superhuman, not bad)

It was well over six feet in height, with great branches of antlers growing out of its forehead. Nude, its flesh was a uniform ash-gray incolor. It appeared to be sexless, and it had gray, leathery wings extending far out behind it and joining with the night. It held a short, heavy sword of dark metal in its right hand, and there were runes carved all along the blade. With its left hand, it clutched at the lattice.

"Enter at your peril," I said loudly, and I raised the point of Grayswandir to indicate its breast.

It chuckled. It just stood there and chuckled and giggled at me. It tried to meet my eyes once more, but I would not let it. If it looked into my eyes for long, it would know me, as the hellcat had known me.

When it spoke, it sounded like a bassoon blowing words.

"You are not the one," it said, "for you are smaller and older. Yet . . .That blade . . . It could be his. Who are you?"

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Strygalldwir is my name. Conjure with it and I will eat your heart and liver."

"Conjure with it? I can't even pronounce it," I said, "and my cirrhosis would give you indigestion.

Go away."

"Who are you?" it repeated.

"Misli, gammi gra'dil, Strygalldwir," I said, and it jumped as if given a hotfoot.

"You seek to drive me forth with such a simple spell?" it asked when it settled again. "I am not one of the lesser ones."

"It seemed to make you a bit uncomfortable."

"Who are you?" it said again.

"None of your business, Charlie. Ladybird, Ladybird, fly away home-"

"Four times must I ask you and four times be refused before I may enter and slay you. Who are you?"

"No," I said, standing. "Come on in and burn!"

Then it tore away the latticework, and the wind that accompanied it into the chamber extinguished the candle.

I lunged forward, and there were sparks between us when Grayswandir met the dark runesword. We clashed, then I sprang back. My eyes had adjusted to the half dark, so the loss of the light did not blind me. The creature saw well enough, also. It was stronger than a man, but then so am I. We circled the room. An icy wind moved about us, and when we passed the window again, cold droplets lashed my face.

The first time that I cut the creature-a long slash across the breast-it remained silent, though tiny flames danced about the edges of the wound. The second time that I cut it-high upon the arm-it cried out, cursing me. "Tonight I will suck the marrow from your bones!" it said. "I will dry them and work them most cunningly into instruments of music! Whenever I play upon them, your spirit will writhe in bodiless agonyl"

"You burn prettily," I said.

It slowed for a fraction of a second, and my opportunity was there.

I beat that dark blade aside and my lunge was perfect. The center of its breast was my target. I ran it through.

It howled then, but did not fall.

Grayswandir was torn from my grasp and flames bloomed about the wound. It stood there wearing them. It advanced a step toward me and I picked up a small chair and held it between us.

"I do not keep my heart where men do," it said.

Then it lunged, but I blocked the blow with the chair and caught it in the right eye with one of the legs. I throw the chair to the side then, and stepping forward, seized its right wrist and turned it over. I struck the elbow with the edge of my hand, as hard as I could. There came a sharp crack and the runesword clattered to the floor. Then its left hand struck my head and I fell.

It leaped for the blade, and I seized its ankle and jerked. It sprawled, and I threw myself atop it and found its throat. I turned my head into the hollow of my shoulder, chin against my breast, as it clawed for my face with its left hand. As my death grip tightened, its eyes sought mine, and this time Idid not avoid them. There came a tiny shock at the base of my brain, as we both knew that we knew.

"You!" it managed to gasp, before I twisted my hands hard and the life went out of those red red eyes. I stood, put my foot upon its carcass, and withdrew Grayswandir. The thing burst into flames when my blade came free, and kept burning until there was nothing remaining but a charred spot upon the floor.

The next battle is with 1500 men, against 2500.

Includes Grayswandir's magic (turning into a portable electric chair, a thunderbolt, etc.), Corwin's stamina, strategy, physical stats, and skill.

We were half a mile inside the Circle before anything happened. There were five hundred of us in the lead, all mounted. A dark cavalry appeared, and we met them. After five minutes, they broke and we rode on. Then we heard the thunder. There was lightning, and the rain began to fall. The thunderhead had finally broken.

A thin line of foot soldiers, pikemen mainly, barred our way, waiting stoically. Maybe we all smelled the trap, but we bore down upon them. Then the cavalry hit our flanks. We wheeled, and the fighting began in earnest. It was perhaps twenty minutes later. . . We held out, waiting for the main body to arrive. Then the two hundred or so of us rode on. . .

Men. It was men that we slew, that slew us-grayfaced, dourcountenanced men. I wanted more. One more...

Theirs must have been a semimetaphysical problem in logistics. How much could be diverted through this Gateway? I was not sure. Soon . . .

We topped a rise, and far ahead and below us lay a dark citadel. I raised my blade. As we descended, they attacked. They hissed and they croaked and they flapped. That meant, to me, that he was running low on people. Grayswandir became a flame in my hand, a thunderbolt, a portable electric chair. I slew them as fast as they approached, and they burned as they died.

To my right, I saw Lance draw a similar line of chaos, and he was muttering beneath his breath. Prayers for the dead, no doubt. To my left, Ganelon laid about him, and a wake of fires followed behind his horse's tail. Through the flashing lightning, the citadel loomed larger.

The hundred or so of us stormed ahead, and the abominations fell by the wayside. When we reached the gate, we were faced by an infantry of men and beasts. We charged. They outnumbered us, but we had little choice. Perhaps we had proceeded our own infantry by too much. But I thought not. Time, as I saw it, was all important now.

"I've got to get through!" I cried. "He's inside!"

"He's mine!" said Lance.

"You're both welcome to him!" said Ganelon, laying about him. "Cross when you can! I'm with you!"

We slew and we slew and we slew, and then the tide turned in their favor. They pressed us, all the ugly things that were more or less than human, mixed in with human troops. We were drawn up into a tight knot, defending ourselves on all sides, when our bedraggled infantry arrived and began hacking. We pressed for the gate once more and made it this time, all forty or fifty of us.

We won through, and then there were troops in the courtyard to be slain. The dozen or so of us who made it to the foot of the dark tower were faced by a final guard contingent.

"Go it!" cried Ganelon, as we leaped from our horses and waded into them.

"Go it!" cried Lance, and I guess they both meant me, or each other. I took it to mean me, and I broke away from the fray and raced up the stairs.

He would be there, in the highest tower, I knew; and I would have to face him, and face him down. I did not know whether I could, butI had to try, because I was the only one who knew where he really came from-and I was the one who put him there.

I came to a heavy wooden door at the top of the stairs. I tried it, but it was secured from the other side. So I kicked it as hard as I could. It fell inward with a crash. I saw him there by the window, a man-formed body dressed in light armor, goat head upon those massive shoulders.

I crossed the threshold and stopped. He had turned to stare as the door had fallen, and now he sought my eyes through steel.

"Mortal man, you have come too far," he said. "Or are you mortal man?" and there was a blade in his hand.

"Ask Strygalldwir," I said.

"You are the one who slew him," he stated. "Did he name you?"

"Maybe."

There were footsteps on the stairs behind me. I stepped to the left of the doorway.

Ganelon burst into the chamber and I called "Halt!" and he did. He turned to me.

"This is the thing," he said. "What is it?"

"My sin against a thing I loved," I said. "Stay away from it. It's mine."

"You're welcome to it." He stood stock still.

"Did you really mean that?" asked the creature.

"Find out," I said, and leaped forward.

But it did not fence with me. Instead, it did what any mortal fencer would consider foolish. It buried its blade at me, point forward, like a thunderbolt. And the sound of its passage came like a clap of thunder. The elements outside the tower echoed it, a deafening response.

With Grayswandir, I parried that blade as though it were an ordinary thrust. It embedded itself in the floor and burst into flames.

Without, the lightning responded. For an instant, the light was as blinding as a magnesium flare, and in that moment the creature was upon me.

It pinned my arms to my sides, and its horns struck against my visor, once, twice... Then I threw my strength against those arms, and their grip began to weaken.

I dropped Grayswandir, and with a final heave broke the hold it had upon me. In that moment, however, our eyes met. Then we both struck, and we both reeled back.

"Lord of Amber," it said then, "why do you strive with me? It was you who gave us this passage, this way..."

"I regret a rash act and seek to undo it."

"Too late-and this a strange place to begin." It struck again, so quickly that it got through my guard. I

was slammed back against the wall. Its speed was deadly. And then it raised its hand and made a sign, and I had a vision of the Courts of Chaos come upon mea vision that made my hackles rise, made a chill wind blow across my soul, to know what I had done.

"You see?" it was saying. "You gave us this Gateway. Help us now, and we will restore to you that which is yours." For a moment I was swayed. Itwas possible that it could do just what it had offered, if I would help. But it would be a threat forever after. Allies briefly, we would be at each other's throats after we got what we wanted-and those dark forces would be much stronger by then. Still, if I held the city. . .

"Do we have a bargain?" came thesharp, near-bleat of the question. I thought upon the shadows, and of the places beyond Shadow... Slowly, I reached up and unbuckled my helm . . . Then I hurled it, just as the creature seemed to relax. I think Ganelon was moving forward by then.

I leaped across the chamber and drove it back against the wall. "No!" I cried.

Its manlike hands found my throat at about the same instant mine wrapped about its own. I squeezed, with all my strength, and twisted. I guess it did the same. I heard something snap like a dry stick. I wondered whose neck had broken. Mine sure hurt.

Yep. Corwin and the thing have a magic fight, they're both superhuman.

These are the hellmaids.

". . . Women," Ganelon said. "Pale furies out of some hell, lovely and cold. Armed and armored. Long, light hair. Eyes like ice. Mounted on white, firebreathing steeds that fed on human flesh,

They're akin to the army that it took Corwin and 1500 men to defeat...except, well, better, because they're all as powerful as the main opponents (the guys with the runeblades) he faced and narrowly defeated.

And guess what?

Benedict and a small group of men solo them all (the whole group dies, btw), and Benedict somehow manages to get laid with their demonic queen.

"I am in charge," he said-a simple statement of fact, not a boast. "I believe I have just succeeded in destroying the only major threat to the realm. If I am correct, then a reasonably tranquil period should be at hand. The price was high"-he glanced at what remained of his arm-"but will have been worth it as shall be seen before very long, when things have returned to normal."

He then proceeded to relate what was basically the same situation the youth had described, going on to tell how they had won the battle. The leader of the hellmaids slain, her riders had bolted and fled. Most of them were also slain then, and the caverns had been sealed once more.

Benedict had decided to maintain a small force in the field for mopping-up purposes, his scouts the while combing the area for survivors.

He made no mention of the meeting between himself and their leader, Lintra.

"Who slew their leader?" I asked him.

"I managed it," he said, making a sudden movement with his stump, "though I hesitated a moment too long on my first blow."

Benedict only loses his arm because in the first thrust he hesitated.

Benedict, this is why you don't bang your enemies. A thousand years of experience and...*shakes head*

As for durability...well, the peak durability in this tournament is pre-52 Deathstroke while he has armor on.

Regular Amberites have durability to the point that arrows are basically meaningless. There are tons of examples, but the easiest is that there's an entire book about this problem.Only muskets can put down regular Amberites, and Benedict is the greatest of them all, the 'greatest swordsman in the omniverse'...muskets aren't really a problem for him, and they weren't for pre-52 Deathstroke with his armor on either (when they hit the armor, ofc).

Here's a fight of him against Corwin. Benedict is missing a hand, btw, and has been riding for days. Corwin is freshly rested while he was riding in a cart and has both his hands and a magical multiverse-level sword.And he's still losing until he uses the terrain (keep in mind, BTW, that Benedict and Corwin are equally matched in terms of physical stats).

It's also worth noting that bloodlust for Amberites makes them worse, but Corwin notes seriously that Benedict could fight without a brain, so honed are his reflexes.

Moreover, Grayswandir doesn't turn into lightning this time around, and Corwin doesn't use any spells (the evil grass consumed a horse in like a second but can only hold Benedict, and even then not temporarily. The only reason Benedict's magic doesn't cancel it is b/c it's something else, something darker, and its Source is somewhere else. Magic with a Source such as Corwin's Curse is stronger because you have to destroy the Source to cancel it out)

Note that Corwin is also scared sh*tless of facing Benedict.

His garments were filthy, his face blackened, the stump of his right arm raised, gesturing anywhere.

The great beast that he rode was striped, black and red, with a wild red mane and tail. But it really was a horse, and its eyes rolled and there was foam at its mouth and its breathing was painful to hear. I saw then that he wore his blade slung across his back, for its haft protruded high above his right shoulder.

Still slowing, eyes fixed upon me, he departed the road, bearing slightly toward my left, jerked the reins once and released them, keeping control of the horse with his knees. His left hand went up in a salute-like movement that passed above his head and seized the hilt of his weapon. It came free without a sound, describing a beautiful arc above him and coming to rest in a lethal position out from his left shoulder and slanting back, like a single wing of dull steel with a minuscule line of edge that gleamed like a filament of mirror.

The picture he presented was burned into my mind with a kind of magnificence, a certain splendor that was strangely moving. The blade was a long, scythe like affair that I had seen him use before. Only then we had stood as allies against a mutual foe I had begun to believe unbeatable. Benedict had proved otherwise that night. Now that I saw it raised against me I was overwhelmed with a sense of my own mortality, which I had never experienced before in this fashion.

It was as though a layer had been stripped from the world and I had a sudden, full understanding of death itself.

The moment was gone. I backed into the grove. I had stood there so that I could take advantage of the trees. I dropped back about twelve feet among them and took two steps to my left. The horse reared at the last possible moment and snorted and whinnied, moist nostrils flaring. It turned aside, tearing up turf.

Benedict's arm moved with near invisible speed, like the tongue of a toad, and his blade passed through a sapling I'd guess at three inches in diameter. The tree continued to stand upright for a moment, then slowly toppled.

His boots struck the earth and he strode toward me. I had wanted the grove for this reason, also, to make him come to me in a place where a long blade would be hampered by branches and boles.

But as he advanced, he swung the weapon, almost casually, back and forth, and the trees fell about him as he passed. If only he were not so infernally competent. If only he were not Benedict. . . .

"Benedict," I said, in a normal voice, "she is an adult now, and she is capable of making up her own mind about things."

But he gave no sign of having heard me. He just kept coming, swinging that great blade from side to side. It made an almost ringing sound as it passed through the air, followed by a soft thukk! as it bit through another tree, slowing only slightly. I raised Grayswandir to point at his breast.

"Come no farther, Benedict," I said. "I do not wish to fight with you."

He moved his blade into an attack position and said one word: "Murderer!"

His hand twitched then and my blade was almost simultaneously beaten aside. I parried the ensuing thrust and he brushed my riposte aside and was at me again. This time I did not even bother to riposte. I simply parried, retreated, and stepped behind a tree.

"I don't understand," I said, beating down his blade as it slid by the trunk and nearly skewered me. "I have not murdered anyone recently. Certainly not in Avalon." Another thukk! and the tree was falling toward me. I got out of its way and retreated, parrying.

"Murderer," he said again.

"I don't know what you are talking about, Benedict."

"Liar!"

I stood my ground then and held it. Damn it! It was senseless to die for the wrong reason! I riposted as fast as I could, seeking openings everywhere. There were none.

"At least tell me!" I shouted. "Please!"

But he seemed to be finished with talking. He pressed forward and I had to fall back once more. It was like trying to fence with a glacier. I became convinced then that he was out of his mind, not that that helped me any. With anybody else, an insane madness would cause the loss of some control in a fight.

But Benedict had hammered out his reflexes over the centuries, and I seriously believed that the removal of his cerebral cortex would not have altered his movements from their state of perfection.

He drove me steadily back, and I dodged among trees and he cut them down and kept coming. I made the mistake of attacking and barely stopped his counterthrusts inches from my breast. I fought down the first wave of panic that came to me when I saw that he was driving me back toward the edge of the grove.

Soon he would have me in the open, with no trees to slow him. My attention was focused on him so completely that I did not realize what was then to occur until it did.

With a mightly cry, Ganelon sprang from somewhere, wrapping his arms about Benedict and pinning his sword arm to his side. Even had I really wanted to, though, I did not have the opportunity to kill him then. He was too fast, and Ganelon was not aware of the man's strength.

Benedict twisted to his right, interposing Ganelon between us, and at the same time brought the stump of his arm around like a club, striking Ganelon in the left temple.

Then he pulled his left arm free, seized Ganelon by his belt, swept him off his feet, and threw him at me. As I stepped aside, he retrived his blade from where it had fallen near his feet and came at me again. I barely had time to glance and see that Ganelon had landed in a heap some ten paces to my rear.

I parried and resumed my retreat.

I only had one trick remaining, and it saddened me that if it failed Amber would be deprived of its rightful liege. It is somewhat more difficult to fence with a good left-hander than a good right-hander, and this worked against me also. But I had to experiment a bit. There was something I had to learn, even if it meant taking a chance.

I took a long step back, moving momentarily out of range, then leaned forward and attacked. It was a very calculated thing, and very fast.

One unexpected result, which I am certain was at least partly luck, was that I got through, even though I missed my target. For an instant, Grayswandir rode high off one of his parries and nicked his left ear.

This slowed him slightly for a few moments, but not enough to matter. If anything, it served to strengthen his defense. I continued to press my attack, but there was simply no getting through then. It was only a small cut, but the blood ran down to his ear lobe and spattered off, a few drops at a time. It could even be distracting, if I permitted myself to do more than take note of it.

Then I did what I feared, but had to try. I left him a small opening, just for a moment, knowing that he would come right through it toward my heart. He did, and I parried it at the last instant. I do not like to think about how close he came that time. Then I began to yield once more, giving ground, backing out of the grove. Parrying and retreating, I moved past the spot where Ganelon lay.

I fell back another fifteen feet or so, fighting defensively, conservatively. Then I gave Benedict another opening. He drove in, as he had before, and I managed to stop him again. He pressed the attack even harder after that, pushing me back to the edge of the black road.

There, I stopped and held my ground, shifting my position to the spot I had chosen. I would have to hold him just a few moments longer, to set him up. . . .

They were very rough moments, but I fought furiously and readied myself.

Then I gave him the same opening again. I knew he would come in the same as before, and my right leg was across and back behind my left, then straightening, as he did. I gave his blade but the barest beat to the side as I sprang backward onto the black road, immediately extending my arm full length to discourage a balaestra.

Then he did what I had hoped. He beat at my blade and advanced normally when I dropped it into quarte...

. . . causing him to step into the patch of black grasses over which I had leaped.

I dared not look down at first. I simply stood my ground and gave the flora a chance. It only took a few moments.

Benedict became aware of it the next time that he tried to move. I saw the puzzled expression flash across his face, then the strain. It had him, I knew. I doubted, though, that it could hold him very long, so I moved immediately. I danced to the right, out of range of his blade, rushed forward and sprang across the grasses, off the black road once again. He tried to turn, but they had twined themselves about his legs all the way up to his knees.

He swayed for a moment, but retained his balance. I passed behind him and to his right. One easy thrust and he was a dead man, but of course there was no reason to do it now.

He swung his arm back behind his neck and turned his head, pointing the blade at me. He began pulling his left leg free. But I feinted toward his right, and when he moved to parry it I slapped him across the back of the neck with the flat of Grayswandir.

It stunned him, and I was able to move in and punch him in the kidney with my left hand. He bent slightly and I blocked his sword arm and struck him in the back of the neck again, this time with my fist, hard. He fell, unconscious, and I removed his blade from his hand and cast it aside. The blood from his left ear lobe trailed down his neck like some exotic earring.

Note how Grayswandir doesn't turn into a portable electric chair this time, or how Corwin doesn't use any spells.

Or how Corwin is fighting defensively and still can barely stall, and how Benedict slices through trees and it doesn't hinder his strokes.

Benedict cancels magic.

Random talking about a monster he faced that Benedict would have killed in half a second. (remember, Random fought Corwin evenly for 26 hours.)

Yes, the shades worked. And yes, the beast was waiting.

It was a fright all right, because in some ways it was kind of beautiful. It had a snake body as big around as a barrel, with a head sort of like a massive claw hammer, but kind of tapered to the snout end. Eyes of a very pale green. And it was clear as glass, with very faint, fine lines seeming to indicate scales. Whatever flowed in its veins was reasonably clear, also. You could look right into it and see its organs opaque or cloudy as the case might be. You could almost be distracted by watching the thing function. And it had a dense mane, like bristles of glass, about the head and collaring its gullet. Its movement when it saw me, raised that head and slivered forward, was like flowing water-living water, it seemed, a bedless river without banks. What almost froze me, though, was that I could see into its stomach. There was a partly digested man in it I raised the gun, aimed at the nearest eye, and squeezed the trigger.

I already told you it didn't work. So I threw the gun, leaped to my left, and sprang in on its right side, going for its eye with my blade.

You know how hard it can be to kill things built along reptilian lines. I decided immediately to try to blind the thing and hack off its tongue as the first order of business. Then, being more than a little fast on my feet, I might have any number of chances to lay in some good ones about the head until I decapitated it. Then let it tie itself in knots till it stopped. I was hoping, too, that it might be sluggish because it was still digesting someone.

If it was sluggish then, I was glad that I hadn't stopped by earlier. It drew its head out of the path of my blade and snapped down over it while I was still off balance. That snout glanced across my chest, and it did feel as if I had been hit by a massive hammer. It knocked me sprawling. I kept on rolling to get out of range, coming up short near the edge of the embankment. I recovered my footing there while it unwound itself, dragged a lot of weight in my direction, and then reared up and cocked its head again, about fifteen feet above me.

I know damn well that Gerard would have chosen that moment to attack. The big bastard would have strode forward with that monster blade of his and cut the thing in half. Then it probably would have fallen on him and writhed all over him, and he'd have come away with a few bruises. Maybe a bloody nose. Benedict would not have missed the eve. He would have had one in each pocket by then and be playing football with the head while composing a footnote to Clausewitz. But they are genuine hero types. Me, I just stood there holding the blade point upward, both hands on the hilt, my elbows on my hips, my head as far back out of the way as possible. I would much rather have run and called it a day. Only I knew that if I tried it, that head would drop down and smear me.

Random does some more magic...but he can't do a thing to Benedict.

As I spun and glided I caught hold of the stuff of Shadow, sank into the feel of it, worked with the textures, possible to probable to actual, felt it coming with the finest twist, gave it that necessary flip at the appropriate moment...

It came in from the beast's blind side, of course. A big mother of a rock, careening along like a semi out of control...

It would have been more elegant to mash it between two of them. However, I hadn't the time for finesse. I simply ran it over and left it there, thrashing in the granite traffic.

It's also worth noting that every time Corwin collects an army of millions to go lay siege to Amber to become the prince, or something like that, he notes that he's very glad Benedict doesn't just show up and want to have the crown, because none of them could stop him.

Benedict's new arm and roflstomping Corwin:

And it slides aside, revealing a hand, an arm, a shoulder, the arm a glinting, metallic thing, its planes like the facets of a gem, its wrist and elbow wondrous weaves of silver cable, pinned with flecks of fire, the hand, stylized, skeletal, a Swiss toy, a mechanical insect, functional, deadly, beautiful in its way . . .

And it slides aside, revealing the rest of the man. . . .

Benedict stands relaxed beside the throne, his left and human hand laid lightly upon it. He leans toward the throne. His lips are moving.

And it slides aside, revealing the throne's occupant. . . .

"Dara!"

Turned toward her right, she smiles, she nods to Benedict, her lips move. I advance and extend Grayswandir till its point rests lightly in the concavity beneath her sternum. . .. Slowly, quite slowly, she turns her head and meets my eyes. She takes on color and life. Her lips move again, and this time her words reach me.

"What are you?"

"No. That is my question. You answer it. Now."

"I am Dara. Dara of Amber, Queen Dara. I hold this throne by right of blood and conquest. Who are you?"

"Corwin. Also of Amber. Don't move! I did not ask who you are-"

"Corwin is dead these many centuries. I have seen his tomb."

"Empty."

"Not so. His body lies within."

"Give me your lineage!"

Her eyes move to her right, where the shade of Benedict still stands. A blade has appeared in his new hand, seeming almost an extension of it, but he holds it loosely, casually. His left hand now rests on her arm. His eyes seek me in back of Grayswandir's hilt. Failing, they go again to that which is visible- Grayswandir-recognizing its design. . .

"I am the great-granddaughter of Benedict and the hellmaid Lintra, whom he loved and later slew." Benedict winces at this, but She continues. "I never knew her. My mother and my mother's mother were born in a place where time does not run as in Amber. I am the first of my mother's line to bear all the marks of humanity. And you, Lord Corwin, are but a ghost from a long dead past, albeit a dangerous shade. How you came here, I do not know. But it was wrong of you. Return to your grave. Trouble not the living."

My hand wavers. Grayswandir strays no more than half an inch. Yet that is sufficient.

Benedict's thrust is below my threshold of perception. His new arm drives the new hand that holds the blade that strikes Grayswandir, as his old arm draws his old hand, which has seized upon Dara, back across the arm of the throne. . . . This subliminal impression reaches me moments later, as I fall back, catting air, recover and strike an en garde, reflexively. . . . It is ridiculous for a pair of ghosts to fight.

Here, it is uneven. He cannot even reach me, whereas Grayswandir—

But no! His blade changes hands as he releases Dara and pivots, bringing them together, old hand and new. His left wrist rotates as he slides it forward and down, moving into what would be corps a corps, were we two facing mortal bodies. For a moment our guards are locked. That moment is enough. . ..

That gleaming, mechanical hand comes forward, a thing of moonlight and fire, blackness and smoothness, all angles, no curves, fingers slightly flexed, palm silverscribbled with a half-familiar design, comes forward, comes forward and catches at my throat. . . .

Missing, the fingers catch my shoulder and the thumb goes hooking-whether for clavicle or larynx, I do not know. I throw one punch with my left, toward his midsection, and there is nothing there. . . .

The voice of Random: "Corwin! The sun is about to rise! You've got to come down now!"

I cannot even answer. A second or two and that hand would tear away whatever it held. That hand . .. Grayswandir and that hand, which strangely resembles it, are the only two things which seem to coexist in my world and the city of ghosts. . . .

"I see it, Corwin! Pull away and reach for me! The Trump-"

I spin Grayswandir out of the bind and bring it around and down in a long, slashing arc. . . .

Only a ghost could have beaten Benedict or Benedict's ghost with that maneuver. We stand too close for him to block my blade, but his countercut, perfectly placed, would have removed my arm, had there been an arm there to meet it. . . .

This is even more incredible; Benedict didn't actually kill Lintra the leader of the hellmaids, he got her pregnant.

This is to say, he killed the entire rest of the army; in Corwin's engagement with HIS evil curse-things, he notes that they are only even slightly succeeding because the opposing forces cannot get through the Gateway fast enough. Corwin then kills the leader, which destroy the curse.

But Benedict didn't kill Lintra the leader, meaning he had to have solo'd the rest of the army and LIED to Corwin!

Corwin, briefly attuned to the Jewel, attempts to kill Brand with it (Brand later uses this same attack to kill thousands of superhumanly durable Amberites) but Brand compresses himself outside the omniverse.

Little does Corwin know that he himself just made another omniverse by hitting the Pattern with Grayswandir!

A shadow suddenly fell upon us, as though a cloud had just occluded the sun. Brand glanced up. I think I could have gotten him just then, but he was still a couple of feet too far from the target area.

He recovered immediately and glared at me.

"Damn you, Corwin! That's yours, isn't it?" he cried, and then he attacked, discarding what caution he still possessed.

Unfortunately, I was in a bad position, as I had been edging up on him, preparing to press him the rest of the way back. I was exposed and slightly off-balance. Even as I parried, I realized it would not be sufficient, and I twisted and fell back.

I struggled to keep my feet in place as I went down. I caught myself with my right elbow and my left hand. I cursed, as the pain was too much and my elbow slid to the side, dropping me to my right shoulder. But Brand's thrust had gone by me, and within blue halos my feet still touched the line. I was out of Brand's reach for a death thrust, though he could still hamstring me.

I raised my right arm, still clutching Grayswandir, before me. I began to sit up. As I did, I saw that the red formation, yellow about the edges, was now spinning directly above Brand, crackling with sparks and small lightnings, its roar now changed to a wailing.

Brand took hold of his blade by the forte and raised it above his shoulder like a spear, pointed in my direction. I knew that I could not parry it, that I could not dodge it.

With my mind, I reached out to the Jewel and up to the formation in the sky . . .

There came a bright flash as a small finger of lightning reached down and touched his blade . . .

The weapon fell from his hand and his hand flew to his mouth. With his left hand, he clutched at the Jewel of Judgment, as if he realized what I was doing and sought to nullify it by covering the stone. Sucking his fingers, he looked upward, all of the anger draining from his face to be replaced by a look of fear verging on terror.

The cone was beginning to descend.

Turning then, he stepped onto the blackened area, faced south, raised both his arms and cried out something I could not hear above the wailing.

The cone fell toward him, but he seemed to grow two-dimensional as it approached. His outline wavered. He began to shrink-but it did not seem a function of actual size, so much as an effect of distancing. He dwindled, dwindled, was gone, a bare instant before the cone licked across the area he had occupied.

Brief description of what the Jewel could do.

"You are right," I said. "I can't count on it. Okay. An alternative I had entertained but would rather not try if it could be avoided, would be to kill him at a distance. Take along a crossbow or one of our rifles and simply shoot him in the midst of the Pattern. The thing that bothers me about it is the effect of our blood on the Pattern. It may be that it is only the primal Pattern that suffers from it, but I don't know."

"That's right. You do not know," he said. "Also, I would not want you to rely on normal weapons up there. That is a peculiar place. You said yourself it is like a strange piece of Shadow drifting in the sky. While you figured how to make a rifle fire in Amber, the same rules may not apply up there."

"It is a risk," I acknowledged.

"As for the crossbow-supposing a sudden gust of wind deflected the bolt each time you shot one?"

"I am afraid I do not follow you."

"The Jewel. He walked it part way through the primal Pattern, and he has had some time to experiment with it since then. Do you think it possible that he is partly attuned to it now?"

"I do not know. I am not at all that sure how the process works."

"I just wanted to point out that if it does work that way, he may be able to use it to defend himself. The Jewel may even have other properties you are not aware of. So what I am saying is that I would not want you to count on being able to kill him at a distance. And I would not even want you to rely on being able to pull the trick you did with the Jewel again-not if he may have gained some measure of control over it."

Corwin notes that you would have to be more insane than Brand (who is completely insane) to try and sneak up on Benedict.

My earliest fear had been that Brand would contrive to arrive directly behind Benedict and stab him in the back. I would not have tried that though, because even in death Benedict's reflexes might have been sufficient to dispatch his assailant. Apparently, Brand wasn't that crazy either.

Brand has to master the Jewel somewhat to use it on Benedict.

"Do you realize the full powers of this thing?" he asked.

"Enough of th-" Benedict began, and his voice cracked in his throat.

Brand hurriedly took another step forward. The Jewel was bright before him. Benedict's hand had begun to move toward his blade, but it did not reach it. He stood stiffly now, as if suddenly transformed into a statue. Then I began to understand, but by then it was too late.

Nothing that Brand had been saying had really mattered. It had simply been a running line of patter, a distraction thrown up before him while he sought cautiously after the proper range. He was indeed partly attuned to the Jewel, and the limited control this gave him was still sufficient to enable him to produce effects with it, effects which I was unaware it could produce, but of which he had known all along.

Brand had carefully contrived his arrival a good distance from Benedict, tried the Jewel, moved a little nearer, tried again, kept up this movement, this testing, until he found the point where it could affect Benedict's nervous system.

"Benedict," I said, "you had better come to me now," and I exerted my will, but he did not budge nor did he reply.

His Trump was still functioning, I felt his presence, I observed events because of it, but I could not reach him. The Jewel was obviously affecting more than his motor system.

I looked to the clouds again. They were still growing, they were reaching for the moon. It seemed they might come across it soon. If I could not pull Benedict out when it happened, he would fall to the sea as soon as the light was fully blocked, the city disrupted. Brand! If he became aware of it, he might be able to use the Jewel to dissipate the clouds. But to do that, he would probably have to release Benedict. I did not think he would do it. Still . . . The clouds seemed to be slowing now. This entire line of reasoning could become unnecessary. I thumbed out Brand's Trump though, and set it aside.

"Benedict, Benedict," said Brand, smiling, "of what use is the finest swordsman alive if he cannot move to take up his blade? I told you that you were a fool. Did you think I would walk willingly to my slaughter? You should have trusted the fear you must have felt. You should have known that I would not enter this place helpless. I meant it when I said that I was going to win. You were a good choice though, because you are the best. I really wish that you had accepted my offer. But it is not that important now. I cannot be stopped. None of the others has a chance, and with you gone things are going to be much easier."

He reached beneath his cloak and produced a dagger.

"Bring me through, Benedict!" I cried, but it was no use. There was no response, no strength to trump me up there.

I seized Brand's Trump. I recalled my Trump battle with Eric. If I could hit Brand through his Trump, I might be able to break his concentration sufficiently for Benedict to come free. I turned all of my faculties upon the card, preparing for a massive mental assault. But nothing. The way was frozen and dark.

It had to be that his concentration on the task at hand, his mental involvement with the Jewel, was so complete that I simply could not reach him. I was blocked at every turn.

Suddenly, the stairway grew paler above me and I cast a quick glance at the moon. A limb of cumulus now covered a portion of its face. Damn!

I returned my attention to Benedict's Trump. It seemed slow, but I did recover the contact, indicating that somewhere, inside it all, Benedict was still conscious. Brand had moved a pace nearer and was still taunting him. The Jewel on its heavy chain burned with the light of its use. They stood perhaps three paces apart now. Brand toyed with the dagger.

". . . Yes, Benedict," he was saying, "you probably would have preferred to die in battle. On the other hand, you might look upon this as a kind of honor-a signal honor. In a way, your death will allow the birth of a new order. .."

For a moment, the Pattern faded behind them. I could not tear my eyes from the scene to examine the moon, however. There, within the shadows and the flickering light, his back to the Pattern, Brand did not seem to notice. He took another step forward.

"But enough of this," he said. "There are things to be done, and the night grows no younger."

He stepped nearer and lowered the blade.

"Good night, sweet Prince," he said, and he moved to close with him.

At that instant, Benedict's strange mechanical right arm, torn from this place of shadow and silver and moonlight, moved with the speed of a striking snake. Thing of glinting, metallic planes like the facets of a gem, wrist a wondrous weave of silver cable, pinned with flecks of fire, stylized, skeletal, a Swiss toy, a mechanical insect, functional, deadly, beautiful in its way, it shot forward with a speed that I could not follow, while the rest of his body remained steady, a statue.

The mechanical fingers caught the Jewel's chain about Brand's neck. Immediately, the arm moved upward, raising Brand high above the floor. Brand dropped the dagger and clutched at his throat with both hands. Behind him, the Pattern faded once again. It returned with a much paler glow. Brand's face in the lantern light was a ghastly, twisted apparition. Benedict remained frozen, holding him on high, unmoving, a human gallows.

The Pattern grew dimmer. Above me, the steps began to recede. The moon was half-occluded.

Writhing, Brand raised his arms above his head, catching at the chain on either side of the metal hand that held it. He was strong, as all of us are. I saw his muscles bunch and harden. By then, his face was dark and his neck a mass of straining cables. He bit his lip; the blood ran into his beard as he drew upon the chain.

With a sharp snap followed by a rattling, the chain parted and Brand fell to the floor gasping. He rolled over once, clutching at his throat with both hands.

Slowly, very slowly, Benedict lowered his strange arm.

Aaaand Benedict's super-indestructo-arm speedblitzes Brand.

Benedict of Amber, ladies and gentlemen.

Benedict.

Of.

Amber.

(the rest of his fights are just beating cannon fodder for the most part)

Beats a cannon fodder horseman while talking to Corwin:

He was mounted on the same red and black horse on which he had pursued me. He was in motion and there was fighting all about him. Seeing that he confronted another horseman, I remained still. He spoke but a single word. "Bide," he said.

He dispatched his opponent with two quick movements of his blade.

So...2 ton strength, Mach 1 speed, durability at its peak, and this guy regularly solo's armies of people physically on par with him.

But I haven't even mentioned the best part!

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_red_viper  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: is Jaraxle allowed to be levitating and have a sandstorm kicked up before the fight starts? I think thats unfair since I have no time to counter that, and you've already stripped me of cover and range. also TDLP and Dexter, your plans don't work together. How is anyone going to see Benedicts card when there is a sandstorm? sorry about how sloppy this is. my laptops broken so im on my phone. my strategy will be up when its fixed.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dextersinister

@i_like_swords: Of course I can do these things if I couldn't then prep would be worthless. If anything I've gone easy on you, I could have had a dragon trap pointed straight at you as well.

If anything screwed you over and stripped you of cover it was the need for us to be within 20 feet of each other when the match begins

Benedicts card is unimportant it's just an item I'm holding on to in case we get separated and neither you or I are in this wall of air it's between us at only 2 feet thick but it is about 75 feet wide and 30 feet high.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: @i_like_swords:

If we couldn't do anything with prep it would be worthless.

Admittedly I'm not sure how useful prep is given that I'm not allowed to raise an army, corrupt the land, or do anything else Benedict does with prep, but I AM sure we can be in positions before the fight starts.

Also are we allowed to set traps? Basically what can we possibly do with prep?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarklordpandamonium:

Admittedly I'm not sure how useful prep is given that I'm not allowed to raise an army, corrupt the land, or do anything else Benedict does with prep, but I AM sure we can be in positions before the fight starts.

If your prep involves abilities that are outside the limit then do not bring it up :/

Dig a hole and cover it in leaves.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper: is Jaraxle allowed to be levitating and have a sandstorm kicked up before the fight starts? I think thats unfair since I have no time to counter that, and you've already stripped me of cover and range. also TDLP and Dexter, your plans don't work together. How is anyone going to see Benedicts card when there is a sandstorm? sorry about how sloppy this is. my laptops broken so im on my phone. my strategy will be up when its fixed.

Not before

@the_red_viper: @i_like_swords:

If we couldn't do anything with prep it would be worthless.

Depends on the trap.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

What are we allowed to with our prep? We can't summon anything, can't have any assistance from villages or the land, can't get into position before the fight, and can't set traps?

Is it just bonding time, or what?

Benedict can gain full knowledge of our enemies easily; as Jarlaxle knows Drizz't he can use Jarlaxle as an emotional tether to create a pseudo-trump off of and then search the Shadows for Drizz't and Legolas. From there he can easily pull people out of Shadows and question them about Drizz't and Legolas. Is that allowed?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: Not before

This doesn't make much sense. If I know a fights about to start and am allowed to prep for it then there is no reason I wouldn't or couldn't activate a few spells before hand. You could confirm this with nearly anyone who's ever debated a character, even @floopay would agree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't make much sense. If I know a fights about to start and am allowed to prep for it then there is no reason I wouldn't or couldn't activate a few spells before hand. You could confirm this with nearly anyone who's ever debated a character, even @floopay would agree

Know what else makes no sense? the fact Legolas is waiting till 20 feet in to shoot when could have landed with 10 arrows ten times that distance away... seriously the setting needs a revamp that makes more sense.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper:

What are we allowed to with our prep? We can't summon anything, can't have any assistance from villages or the land, can't get into position before the fight, and can't set traps?

Is it just bonding time, or what?

Benedict can gain full knowledge of our enemies easily; as Jarlaxle knows Drizz't he can use Jarlaxle as an emotional tether to create a pseudo-trump off of and then search the Shadows for Drizz't and Legolas. From there he can easily pull people out of Shadows and question them about Drizz't and Legolas. Is that allowed?

You can set traps. Just nothing that is above the rules.

Gaining knowledge on your enemies and stuff is fine.

Yeah spells are cool but a sandstorm seems a little OP. If you can do it during the fight, that'd be OK.

@dextersinister said:

Know what else makes no sense? the fact Legolas is waiting till 20 feet in to shoot when could have landed with 10 arrows ten times that distance away... seriously the setting needs a revamp that makes more sense.

The prologue doesn't suppose to mean anything. I've randomized the settings and your fight got a desert with 5 hours prep. It was hard making a prologue that would make sense, so I made this one instead.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: It's not a sandstorm, it's simply a strong wall of air that a normal human could easily walk through but so happens to be strong enough to blow arrows off course.

The details aren't exactly the same but it's based off this spell

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWall.htm

The kicked up sand is just the inevitable result of a strong wind blowing across sand

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper: It's not a sandstorm, it's simply a strong wall of air that a normal human could easily walk through but so happens to be strong enough to blow arrows off course.

The kicked up sand is just the inevitable result of a strong wind blowing across sand

Oh, it's OK then. Sorry for the confusion.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

Alright, cool!

Can I throw some cards around the area as well? Also, would a horse count as 'standard equipment'?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper:

Alright, cool!

Can I throw some cards around the area as well? Also, would a horse count as 'standard equipment'?

What do you mean by throwing cards? And yes a horse is fine.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

Benedict has a deck of Trumps. If Jarlaxle spills his blood on a card, Benedict can put it somewhere and if Jarlaxle/Benedict looks into it they'll be teleported to the other.

So can I put my cards around the area?

Alright, cool, a horse.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Since Floopay isn't going to be back until the 29th, would you like to start with a counter to our strat?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarklordpandamonium: Sure.

Initial Strategy:

When the fellowship of the ring passed through Rivendale, they were all given a special Elven cloak/garb. One of it's special properties was that it allowed the user to become camouflaged with their terrain. I'm having a tough time finding the actual gift giving scene from the film, but if you want me to prove Legolas has one I'll record it from my own DVD.

Loading Video...

Watch from roughly 1:20 to 2:09. It shows Frodo cloaking himself and Sam from two of Saurons soldiers. The cloak changes from it's original green colour to a rock.

How does this relate to my strategy?

Well, since Legolas' range is restricted, and he has no form of situational advantage, I figure what better way to seal a victory than become entirely invisible?

Legolas will lie down on the sand, allow Benedict and Jaraxle to pass over him, and have Drizzt engage them.

Once they are engaging Drizzt, Legolas will be in a stealthy position to sink two arrows into their backs.

The other part of my strategy that grants me an advantage is that Benedict and Jaraxle will have to come to Drizzt and Legolas, since they will be waiting for them. This means they won't have time to lay any traps or set up any battlefield preparations when they come into range, because Drizzt will have engaged them.

Now, if any of you are concerned in terms of Legolas laying in wait on the sand for hours :

Won't Legolas be too warm!?

Won't Legolas get bored and fall asleep?!

No. Legolas has lived for over 500 hundred years. Time means nothing to him. And because of his Elven physiology, he won't feel the heat as badly as a man would.

Now to solidify my strategy I'll provide the everything-you-need-to-know on Legolas:

General Information on Elves and Legolas

Elves are naturally in better physical condition than men. They are faster, stronger and more durable. They also have extremely acute senses, allowing them to see with clarity much farther than most, and hear even whispers from long distances.

Elves are also immortal. Many live for hundreds of years. Legolas himself is said to be between the ages of 500 and 700 during the War of the Ring era. The only way an Elf can die is through physical means, or simply losing the will to live. They are immune to disease.

Elves are both more durable and lightfooted than men, able to travel harsh terrain in only light footwear, and run over snow as men would run over stone. Legolas, in this setting, will be able to sprint through sand with ease if the need arises, whereas others will be slowed by the terrain.

Elves craft some of the best weapons/equipment in middle earth, such as Harrys sword Sting, Legolas' bow of Galadrihm, Bilbos Mythril armor, or Sam's unbreakable rope. Not only this, but among the elves are the worlds most skilled archers, which is both down to their impressive physiology as well as the hundreds of years of combat experience each carries under their belt. One of the most skilled among them is Legolas, which is why he was chosen to be a member of the Fellowship of the Ring.

Legolas' bow of Galadrihm has an impressive draw weight of 150 pounds.

During the War of the Ring trilogy, Legolas did not miss one shot.

Legolas' Various Feats

Now I'm going to show you why Legolas is seen as one of the best archers in fiction.

Let's start on an impressive note:

Loading Video...

1:25. Legolas puts an arrow through Grima Wormtongues heart, from the bottom of Sarumans tower, right to the top. This is especially impressive because of the range, the speed he fires the shot off at, and the fact his arrow was also fighting gravity. Most notably however, his accuracy.

Loading Video...

Skip to 8:08. As the battle for Helms Deep begins, Legolas manages to pick up that the Orcs armor is "weak at the neck, and beneath the arm."

These were guys that could shrug off arrows like nothing, and Legolas manages to sink an arrow into one of their weak spots for his first kill. His accuracy and ability to pinpoint weakness is uncanny.

Loading Video...

Start at 0:11. At first it looks like the warg riders are close to Legolas, but the reason they do a close up of LL looking into the distance is indicating that his elven vision is allowing him to see much farther then any of the others could. Anyway, you see his insane accuracy in the clip that follows, and briefly after that, you see him pull himself onto his horse with one arm, a showcase of his great strength.

Skip to 0:38. Possibly the most epic moment in any fight scene..

Legolas uses a shield as a surfboard, and while "surfing" down the stairs picks off at least 4 orcs and then kills a 5th with the shield he rode on. This showcases his insane balance, accuracy and speed.

Following that, you see another entirely epic moment, when Legolas kills an Oliphaunt + Crew by himself. He climbs up on the tusk, scales the Oliphaunt, kills the crew, cuts off the armor/cockpit/seats if you will, and puts three arrows through the monsters head. This again showcases his ability to exploit weakness in an enemy and as well as his agility and balance.

Loading Video...

I know this scene has been made into a pretty big joke, but it's also actually a good showcase of Legolas Elven vision. The trio had been tracking Urk Hai for days, and they were a good few hours behind them most of the time. Legolas gets some high ground, and can see clearly what direction the Urak Hai are going a few miles off. Aragorn, a man, can't see what Legolas can.

This is worth noting considering when Jaraxle and Benedict are on approach, and Legolas is waiting for them under his cloak, he'll be able to both see and hear them miles off, giving him an even greater edge.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Umm...what do the numbers mean in your feats list? Those aren't page numbers, are they? (and if they are, which book?)

Also, to clarify, @the_red_viper are we allowed to stakeout the spot we're fighting in before anything occurs?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Umm...what do the numbers mean in your feats list? Those aren't page numbers, are they? (and if they are, which book?)

Also, to clarify, @the_red_viper are we allowed to stakeout the spot we're fighting in before anything occurs?

Well.. it appears something has gone wrong with the videos. I'll edit them back in.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Alright.

So your strategy is to put on the cloak and hide in the place we're fighting, right? If we're allowed to be in the battle arena before the fight begins, we'd probably...well, start fighting but nevertheless Benedict can a) see through all magical illusions and b) (since I'm not sure whether or not the cloak is magical or not) has an autonomous mechanical arm which cannot fall prey to anything, not even omniverse-destroying magical artifacts (see Hand of Oberon end scene) So it would know Legolas was there, and inform Benedict/act of its own accord and, as Benedict was walking past, calmly stab Legolas in the face.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: You start the fight lying down in the sand! My character will assume you've just given up on life.

Jarlaxles eyepatch see's through illusions and on top of that Drow have evolved a form of heat vision. Even if my character couldn't see yours (which he can) there is absolutely no reason for him to approach Drizzt when he has ranged defenses,the ranged advantage and is levitating.

As it stands your characters still getting fried the only difference being he's lying face down when he does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarklordpandamonium:

I assumed the fight began when they were within 20 feet of eachother.

Scans for Benedict seeing through magical "illusions" and his arm being able to alert him to camouflaged enemies?

Also, you're forgetting that Legolas can see through his cloak for great distances and has tremendous hearing. He'd hear whatever they were talking about long before they got close enough to kill him, and even if he couldn't hear them, he'd be watching them and could pick up on the fact they were on to him. Not even Gandalf could get the drop on Legolas.

Still, I'll wait for scans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister:

Good points. However, now that we've agreed that the Drow can pick up on illusions and have "heat vision", it's fair game to say Drizzt would tell Legolas he can see him through his disguise.

So, now we're essentially on a completely even playing field.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I was expecting you to point out that Drizzt could highlight the flaws in your plan but even playing field? I'm not behind any disguise, I'm behind a wall of air that deflects arrows with lightning bolt wands.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister:

Good points. However, now that we've agreed that the Drow can pick up on illusions and have "heat vision", it's fair game to say Drizzt would tell Legolas he can see him through his disguise.

So, now we're essentially on a completely even playing field.

Except we have the sandstorm going for us.

And the teleporting.

And the arm.

Since you can't really debate with Drizz't, shall we just wait until the 29th when Floopay gets internet?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I was expecting you to point out that Drizzt could highlight the flaws in your plan but even playing field? I'm not behind any disguise, I'm behind a wall of air that deflects arrows with lightning bolt wands.

True, but as viper said, you can't have it up until the fight starts. So here's what I need:

1) A scan of this ward being used.

2) An explanation of how fast it takes to come up and the area it covers.

3) What width of area it covers, in terms of, all around you, just your front..

So, supposing your ward takes but a second too long to conjure up? Shot dead.

Loading Video...

The famous "you would die before your stroke fell" scene that shows Legolas' friendship to Gimli.

It also shows just how quickly he could of sunk an arrow into Eomers' head. Not one of the Rohan soldiers reacted in time to prevent Legolas from loading that arrow, and their spears were literally at his neck as they watched him.

So frankly, I don't see your ward going up in time. Failing that, Legolas can double back around the "sandstorm" and start peppering you with arrows until he finds a weak point.

Except we have the sandstorm going for us.

And the teleporting.

And the arm.

Since you can't really debate with Drizz't, shall we just wait until the 29th when Floopay gets internet?

Don't see what use the teleporting will do to be honest. All it could do is put you at range, which is all Legolas needs for this situation.

Don't see how the arm factors in now that the camouflage is off the table.

But yeah, I agree, let's wait for him.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

Actually, Viper said we could have it up before the fight started.

@dextersinister said:

Oh, it's OK then. Sorry for the confusion.

See?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dextersinister

@i_like_swords: Incorrect Viper changed his mind as not being able to vast spells during prep is just silly and your asking for scans for a character from a book :/.

I have already posted a link for the mechanical game effect, the novelized version is more powerful but that more than meets our needs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister: @thedarklordpandamonium:

@i_like_swords: Incorrect Viper changed his mind as not being able to vast spells during prep is just silly and your asking for scans for a character from a book :/.

I have already posted a link for the mechanical game effect, the novelized version is more powerful but that more than meets our needs.

So, scan the page from the novel...?
"While the wall must be vertical"

Yeah.. so what happens when Drizzt and Legolas both go around either side of the wall?

In fact, that's likely what they would plan to do considering Drizzt knows Jarlaxle.

You can't cover both sides at the same time, and unless Benedict wants to step away from the ward and face either Legolas or Drizzt, then you're going to be trapped in your exposed sand shield.

Legolas can sprint over snow and sand like a stone path. He can kill armored enemies while surfing a staircase on a shield. There's nothing to suggest that between him running one angle and peppering you with arrows, and Drizzt covering the other side, your guys strategy will hold up.

Until we find out Drizzts part in this I think we should leave it here. Once Floopay contributes you can rebuttal this post fully.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers