justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By justleader

@ShootingNova said:

@justleader: Umm... scriptures (different ones) have viewed it as both finite and infinite.

I know that, but all that makes him his a time-warper. Not a beyonder (not the character LOL).

No they didn't

He is both actually

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By ShootingNova

@justleader: Yes, they did.

Not really.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#153  Edited By xxxddd

@ThanoStomp said:

Mythological Zeus wins. Comic Odin would win.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By ShootingNova

@xxxddd said:

Comic Odin would win.

Not true.

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By kingkronos

@justleader: Seriously? You decided that Zeus destroyed time-space? He destroyed the universe, there is no mention that he destroyed time or space for that matter.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By ShootingNova

@kingkronos: Of course there isn't. But the universe is space-time. Except that's in science, not mythology. Again, they don't mix.

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By kingkronos

@ShootingNova said:

@kingkronos: Of course there isn't. But the universe is space-time. Except that's in science, not mythology. Again, they don't mix.

Not necessarily. Destroying the universe is destroying everything in it:planets, stars, etc... Not the space and time.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ShootingNova

@kingkronos: Actually, technically that isn't destroying the universe. All you're destroying are things within the universe, but not the universe itself. So you can destroy as many galaxy clusters and so on as you like, but that isn't the universe in itself, only what the universe holds within.

Park

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Park

Mythology Odin would win. He knows the charm to cure a man's heart of ill will towards him. He knows the charm to make an enemies attack useless and his spear never misses, always kills.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ShootingNova

@Park said:

Mythology Odin would win. He knows the charm to cure a man's heart of ill will towards him. He knows the charm to make an enemies attack useless and his spear never misses, always kills.

Haven't we discussed this in another thread? Because a Greek god is far more than a man. His spear is not killing an immortal and his charms have never affected anybody on Zeus's level.

Again, Odin died from Fenrir at Ragnarok, and Fenrir can only swallow suns at best. Zeus can destroy a universe. Show me anybody in Norse mythology doing that.

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By kingkronos

@ShootingNova said:

@kingkronos: Actually, technically that isn't destroying the universe. All you're destroying are things within the universe, but not the universe itself. So you can destroy as many galaxy clusters and so on as you like, but that isn't the universe in itself, only what the universe holds within.

Not really. The universe itself or the Cosmos is nothing in fact, just empty space, so when life ceases to exist in the universe, it is considered as destroyed. But very very few can actually destroy the space-time continum. The only people that come to mind are Azathoth from HP Lovecraft and Shiva. That's it. Maybe also Anti-Monitor, but I'm not sure.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ShootingNova

@kingkronos: Orphic Zeus stomps. LOL.

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By kingkronos

@ShootingNova said:

@kingkronos: Orphic Zeus stomps. LOL.

Is that your way of saying that I'm right?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By ShootingNova

@kingkronos: Probably.

Soul_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Soul_Rebel

Quetzalcoatl is the only one who killed off an entire culture and race in real life... he wins this. lol, jk, Zeus has this.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#166  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

@mightyzeus said:

zeus he is like God in greek mythology especially when he took down his father kronos and he also defeated the monster god typhon who was so powerful that even gods ran from him

He doesn't take down his Father alone. He is helped by his 2 brothers which are Poseidon and Hades. Zeus later then betrayed his brothers and become the king of mout olympus...

And who said Odin isn't on Zeus level? Odin is a Galaxy Buster, he is been able to stun Galactus who is basically a cosmic entity which feed on Planet. And Galactus himself stated that he can KO Zeus.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By ShootingNova

@GodDamnIronMan: LOL, and almost none of this is actual mythology and is simply Marvel.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@GodDamnIronMan said:

And who said Odin isn't on Zeus level? Odin is a Galaxy Buster, he is been able to stun Galactus who is basically a cosmic entity which feed on Planet. And Galactus himself stated that he can KO Zeus.

I think they are discussing about actual odin/zeus etc.. Don't confuse with their comic versions here.. these are near-supreme deities like TOAA, not skyfathers as in marvel/DC..

Jayfournines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Jayfournines

@GodDamnIronMan said:

@mightyzeus said:

zeus he is like God in greek mythology especially when he took down his father kronos and he also defeated the monster god typhon who was so powerful that even gods ran from him

He doesn't take down his Father alone. He is helped by his 2 brothers which are Poseidon and Hades. Zeus later then betrayed his brothers and become the king of mout olympus...

Wrong Odin, mate

adamf78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok lets get a little perspective. Most of you are obviously unaware of the true Norse mythos. In everything you have said about Zeus it has been neglected that he always had help. Now let me lay a whopper on you. There stories are almost the same with names and some details changed.

From The Web:

"According to the Prose Edda, Odin, the first and most powerful of the Æsir, was a son of Bestla and Borr and brother of Vili and Vé. With these brothers, he cast down the frostgiantYmir and made Earth from Ymir's body. The three brothers are often mentioned together. "Vili" is the German word for "will" (English), "Vé" is the German word (Gothic wai) for woe but is more likely related to the archaic German "Wei" meaning 'sacred.'

Odin has fathered numerous children. With his wife, Frigg, he fathered his doomed son Baldr and the blind god Höðr. By the personification of earth, Fjörgyn or Jörð, Odin was the father of his most famous son, Thor. By the giantess Gríðr, Odin was the father of Vídar, and by Rinda he was father of Váli. Also, many royal families claimed descent from Odin through other sons. For traditions about Odin's offspring, see Sons of Odin.

Odin and his brothers, Vili and Ve, are attributed with slaying Ymir, the Ancient Giant, to form Midgard. From Ymir's flesh, the brothers made the earth, and from his shattered bones and teeth they made the rocks and stones. From Ymir'sblood, they made the rivers and lakes. Ymir'sskull was made into the sky, secured at four points by four dwarfs named East, West, North, and South. From Ymir's brains, the three Godsshaped the clouds, whereas Ymir's eyebrows became a barrier between Jotunheim (giant's home) and Midgard, the place where men now dwell. Odin and his brothers are also attributed with making humans.

After having made earth from Ymir's flesh, the three brothers came across two logs (or an ash and an elm tree). Odin gave them breath and life; Vili gave them brains and feelings; and Ve gave them hearing and sight. The first man was Ask and the first woman was Embla.

Odin was said to have learned the mysteries of seid from the Vanic goddess and völvaFreyja, despite the unwarriorly connotations of using magic."

So we see here that they have both defeated great foes.He was also known as the God of Magic, and the God of Battle (with his powers he is able to sway battle to the way he desires.)

My opinion is that Zeus would lose. He is out classed by Odin. Also within the greek pantheon the greeks created a god for each aspect so the gods are very specific in what they can and cannot do. That is not the same in the Norse pantheon where they all do many things especially Odin The All Father.

ODIN FOR THE WIN.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Cybrilious4

If Perun was here he'd crap stomp all three with his back hand.

1) He fights a Hell lord who is faster than lightning

2) Strong enough to bust continents

3) Able to command nature to his will with a simple word.

- He departed an entire forest so that it got out of his way.

- He departed a river.

- He even commanded a Phoenix to bow to him.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By ShootingNova

And you guys seriously want to continue this. Don't bump 7-month old threads for nothing.

@cybrilious4 said:

If Perun was here he'd crap stomp all three with his back hand.

1) He fights a Hell lord who is faster than lightning

2) Strong enough to bust continents

3) Able to command nature to his will with a simple word.

- He departed an entire forest so that it got out of his way.

- He departed a river.

- He even commanded a Phoenix to bow to him.

First and foremost, he isn't in this battle, no reason to post irrelevant matters in here.

1) So.....? There's people here who fight time-related entities.

2) Irrelevant. Odin shaped the world and Zeus could destroy the universe.

3) Its not as though Zeus or Odin couldn't command nature. And what do you even mean by "departing a river"?

- So....? Zeus commanded a flood that destroyed all of mankind save for two which he chose to save, and so forth.

- I don't know what you are trying to say.

- How is that even remotely impressive when Zeus commands all the mortals and immortals? He is addressed as "Father" even by the gods whom aren't his children, and Odin is the "All-Father".

@adamf78 said:

Ok lets get a little perspective. Most of you are obviously unaware of the true Norse mythos. In everything you have said about Zeus it has been neglected that he always had help. Now let me lay a whopper on you. There stories are almost the same with names and some details changed.

I have read the Norse mythos, and I am well aware of Odin's power capabilities. You clearly have not read the Greek myths up if you seriously think Zeus always had help.

Because obviously, Zeus had plenty of help when he was doing most of the following (for example, he had his brothers with him during the first one, but so did Odin when he created Midgard, and Zeus wasn't at his prime during the period anyways):

He then freed his father's brothers, whom Uranus had chained. In token of gratitude, they offered him thunder and lightning. Furnished with such weapons, Zeus can thenceforth command "both mortals and immortals" (Theog. 493-506).

-- Taken from A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1

... a monstrous being, Typhon, son of Gaea and Tartarus, rises against Zeus.

"From his shoulders came a hundred snake heads, frightful dragons, thrusting out blackish tongues; and from his eyes.... flared a light like fire," etc. (Theog. 824 ff.). Zeus struck him with this thunderbolts and cast him down into Tartarus.

It is not possible either to trick or escape the mind of Zeus. - Hesiod (C.Eight Century B.C.), Theogony)

-- Taken from Classical Mythology: Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

For already in Homer Zeus recovers the splendors and powers of a true Indo-European sovereign god. He is more than a god of the "vast sky," he is "the father of gods and men" (Iliad 1.544). And in a fragment of his Heliades (frag. 70 Nauck), Aeschylus proclaims: "Zeus is the ether, Zeus is the earth, Zeus is the sky. Yes, Zeus is all that is above all."

Zeus is the air, Zeus the earth, Zeus all things and what transcends them all. - Aeschylus (525 B.C. - 456 B.C.), Fragments

-- Taken from Classical Mythology: Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

But Zeus is more than just a sky god: he is the head of the gods who live on Mount Olympos (the 'Olympian Gods'), and his powers are nicely detailed in a fragment of Aiskhylos (Aeschylus):

Zeus is the air, Zeus earth, and Zeus the sky, Zeus everything and all that's more than these.

-- Taken from The Greek Myths: Gods, Monsters, Heroes and the Origins of Storytelling

Consciousness of his omnipotence is admirably illustrated in the famous scene in the Iliad (8.17 ff.) in which Zeus makes this challenge to the Olympians: "Then [you] will see how far I am strongest of all the immortals. Come, you gods, make this endeavor, that you all may learn this. Let down out of the sky a cord of gold; lay hold of it all you who are gods and all who are goddesses, yet not even so can you drag down Zeus from the sky to the ground, not Zeus the high lord of counsel, though you try until you grow weary. Yet whenever I might strongly be minded to pull you, I could drag you up, earth and all and sea and all with you, then fetch the golden rope about the horn of Olympos and make it fast, so that all once more should dangle in mid air. So much stronger am I than the gods, and stronger than mortals" (trans. Richmond Lattimore, The Iliad of Homer [Chicago, 1951]).

[253] And now his thunder bolts would Jove wide scatter, but he feared the flames, unnumbered, sacred ether might ignite and burn the axle of the universe: and he remembered in the scroll of fate, there is a time appointed when the sea and earth and Heavens shall melt, and fire destroy the universe of mighty labour wrought. Such weapons by the skill of Cyclops forged, for different punishment he laid aside—for straightway he preferred to overwhelm the mortal race beneath deep waves and storms from every raining sky.

-- Taken from Metmorhoses Book 1

"So then, [Zeus] by engulfing Erikepaios the Firstborn [Phanes], he had the body of all things in his belly, and he mixed into his own limbs the god’s power and strength. Because of this, together with him, everything came to be again inside Zeus, the broad air and the lofty splendour of heaven, the undraining sea and earth’s glorious seat, great Okeanos and the lowest Tartara of the earth, rivers and boundless sea and everything else, and all the immortal blessed gods and goddesses, all that had existed and all that was to exist afterwards became one and grew together in the belly of Zeus. After he had hidden them all away, again into the glad light from his holy heart he brought them up, performing mighty acts."

-- Taken from Orphica, Rhapsodies Fragment 167

Odin was never portrayed as anything remotely omnipotent, and you have obviously neglected the fact that Odin is doomed to meet a final death at Ragnarok at the hands of Fenrir, a wolf who swallows the sun. Zeus can destroy the universe, even from Hesiod's writings (which I might say is among the weaker incarnations of Zeus). In Orphism, Zeus destroyed, recreated, merged and infinitely transcended his entire reality, including all the gods and nature and whatever else.

And of course, I don't think I would need to mention that Wikipedia isn't always correct, although in this case that would be irrelevant.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Cybrilious4

@shootingnova:

1) What do you mean by time-related entities because Perun fights this guy every year because Veles wants to conquer Heaven/Parv

2) Ok if your bringing Omnipotents in this fight then the Slavs get Rod/Svarog who create/shipshaped the Universe.

3) I mean by he commanded a river to depart with the a simple blackmail. Dude these are Kid Perun feats I'm listing. He doesn't have any powers of Parv in his wake.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cybrilious4: Strangely, I received no notification about this message.

1) I mean personifications of Time (Orphic Zeus), and time gods.

2) Slavish mythology was never part of this battle, which is the point. Also, creating and shaping the universe is nothing compared to actual omnipotence, a being who destroyed, recreated, merged with and infinitely transcended the universe (and potentially "other universes" in some context).

3) I don't think you need to post things that have nothing to do with the subject. Perun isn't part of this fight for one, and it seriously makes no difference when you're talking about Odin, Zeus, or even Quetzalcoatl.

Avatar image for thedarklordpandamonium
Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cybrilious4: off topic, breaks the rules.

Anyways hasn't this been flagged yet or something?

Avatar image for superspecialchingon
SuperSpecialChingon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I guess no one knows anything about Quetzalcoatl but me...

So in the Aztec creation myth, the (whole planet mind you) earth started out as a giant endlessly hungry monster. She ate and ate and ate until the Great Creator himself called on all he could to help tame the monster. Quetzalcoatl, his brother Tezcatlipoca accepted the challenge. They fought with her and eventually stretched her and smashed her and otherwise molded her into the shape she is today.

Now yes he had help from his brother, but the fact remains that he fought a monster the size of the world and won. That is his greatest battle and easily a match for the 100 headed serpent Typhon.

Btw, Quetzalcoatl means Plumed Serpent. So he has a giant feathered dragon form too.

My vote goes Quetzalcoatl

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By ShootingNova

I honestly think this should be locked.

@superspecialchingon said:

Ok so I guess no one knows anything about Quetzalcoatl but me...

So in the Aztec creation myth, the (whole planet mind you) earth started out as a giant endlessly hungry monster. She ate and ate and ate until the Great Creator himself called on all he could to help tame the monster. Quetzalcoatl, his brother Tezcatlipoca accepted the challenge. They fought with her and eventually stretched her and smashed her and otherwise molded her into the shape she is today.

Now yes he had help from his brother, but the fact remains that he fought a monster the size of the world and won. That is his greatest battle and easily a match for the 100 headed serpent Typhon.

Btw, Quetzalcoatl means Plumed Serpent. So he has a giant feathered dragon form too.

My vote goes Quetzalcoatl

That's interesting, but Odin and his two brothers killed a being called Ymir, and from his body they made the world and the heavens.

Typhon is interesting. His heads brushed the stars, his arms reached from the East to the West and he raised the seas to the heavens. Depending on the source, Zeus (alone) either has a lengthy battle with him, loses, gets revived, and defeats him, or just outright defeats him.

Zeus's thunderbolts would have destroyed the universe.

Regarding Orphic Zeus, he basically swallowed his cosmos.

A couple of quotes regarding Zeus:

He then freed his father's brothers, whom Uranus had chained. In token of gratitude, they offered him thunder and lightning. Furnished with such weapons, Zeus can thenceforth command "both mortals and immortals" (Theog. 493-506).

Source: A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1

"From his shoulders came a hundred snake heads, frightful dragons, thrusting out blackish tongues; and from his eyes.... flared a light like fire," etc. (Theog. 824 ff.). Zeus struck him with this thunderbolts and cast him down into Tartarus.

It is not possible either to trick or escape the mind of Zeus. - Hesiod (C.Eight Century B.C.), Theogony)

Source: Classical Mythology: Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

For already in Homer Zeus recovers the splendors and powers of a true Indo-European sovereign god. He is more than a god of the "vast sky," he is "the father of gods and men" (Iliad 1.544). And in a fragment of his Heliades (frag. 70 Nauck), Aeschylus proclaims: "Zeus is the ether, Zeus is the earth, Zeus is the sky. Yes, Zeus is all that is above all."

Zeus is the air, Zeus the earth, Zeus all things and what transcends them all. - Aeschylus (525 B.C. - 456 B.C.), Fragments

But Zeus is more than just a sky god: he is the head of the gods who live on Mount Olympos (the 'Olympian Gods'), and his powers are nicely detailed in a fragment of Aiskhylos (Aeschylus):

Zeus is the air, Zeus earth, and Zeus the sky, Zeus everything and all that's more than these.

Source: The Greek Myths: Gods, Monsters, Heroes and the Origins of Storytelling

Consciousness of his omnipotence is admirably illustrated in the famous scene in the Iliad (8.17 ff.) in which Zeus makes this challenge to the Olympians: "Then [you] will see how far I am strongest of all the immortals. Come, you gods, make this endeavor, that you all may learn this. Let down out of the sky a cord of gold; lay hold of it all you who are gods and all who are goddesses, yet not even so can you drag down Zeus from the sky to the ground, not Zeus the high lord of counsel, though you try until you grow weary. Yet whenever I might strongly be minded to pull you, I could drag you up, earth and all and sea and all with you, then fetch the golden rope about the horn of Olympos and make it fast, so that all once more should dangle in mid air. So much stronger am I than the gods, and stronger than mortals" (trans. Richmond Lattimore, The Iliad of Homer [Chicago, 1951]).

[253] And now his thunder bolts would Jove wide scatter, but he feared the flames, unnumbered, sacred ether might ignite and burn the axle of the universe: and he remembered in the scroll of fate, there is a time appointed when the sea and earth and Heavens shall melt, and fire destroy the universe of mighty labour wrought. Such weapons by the skill of Cyclops forged, for different punishment he laid aside—for straightway he preferred to overwhelm the mortal race beneath deep waves and storms from every raining sky.

Source: Metmorhoses Book 1

"So then, [Zeus] by engulfing Erikepaios the Firstborn [Phanes], he had the body of all things in his belly, and he mixed into his own limbs the god’s power and strength. Because of this, together with him, everything came to be again inside Zeus, the broad air and the lofty splendour of heaven, the undraining sea and earth’s glorious seat, great Okeanos and the lowest Tartara of the earth, rivers and boundless sea and everything else, and all the immortal blessed gods and goddesses, all that had existed and all that was to exist afterwards became one and grew together in the belly of Zeus. After he had hidden them all away, again into the glad light from his holy heart he brought them up, performing mighty acts."

Source: Orphica, Rhapsodies Fragment 167

The last quote applies to Orphic Zeus only.

Marcio_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some sources contradict the death of Odin in Ragnarök. Gylfaginning: "Ganglere then made the following question: Who is the highest and oldest of all the gods? Made answer Har: Alfather (Odin) he is called in our tongue, but in Asgard of old he had twelve names. The first is Alfather, the second is Herran or Herjan, the third Nikar or Hnikar, the fourth Nikuz or Hnikud, the fifth Fjolner, the sixth Oske, the seventh Ome, the eighth Biflide or Biflinde, the ninth Svidar, the tenth Svidrer, the eleventh Vidrer, the twelfth Jalg or Jalk. Ganglere asks again: Where is this god? What can he do? What mighty works has he accomplished? Answered Har: He lives from everlasting to everlasting, rules over all his realm, and governs all things, great and small. Then remarked Jafnhar: He made heaven and earth, the air and all things in them. Thride added: What is most important, he made man and gave him a spirit, which shall live, and never perish, though the body may turn to dust or burn to ashes. All who live a life of virtue shall dwell with him in Gimle or Vingolf."

"Odin died in his bed in Swithiod; and when he was near his death he made himself be marked with the point of a spear, and said he was going to Godheim, and would give a welcome there to all his friends, and all brave warriors should be dedicated to him; and the Swedes believed that he was gone to the ancient Asgard, and would live there eternally." Snorri euhemerizied the norse gods, but he says that the heathens Swedes believed that Odin was eternal (Ynglinga Saga).

"In Asgard is a place called Hlidskjalf, and when Odin seated himself there in the high-seat, he saw over the whole world, and what every man was doing, and he knew all things that he saw. His wife hight Frigg, and she was the daughter of Fjorgvin, and from their offspring are descended the race that we call asas, who inhabited Asgard the old and the realms that lie about it, and all that race are known to be gods. And for this reason Odin is called Alfather, that he is the father of all gods and men, and of all things that were made by him and by his might. Jord (earth) was his daughter and his wife; with her he begat his first son, and that is Asa-Thor. To him (Thor) was given power and strength, wherewith he overcometh all living things.

"Then took Alfather Night and her son Day, gave them two horses and two cars, and set them up in heaven to drive around the earth, each in twelve hours by turns. Night rides first on the horse which is called Hrimfaxe, and every morning he bedews the earth with the foam from his bit. The horse on which Day rides is called Skinfaxe, and with his mane he lights up all the sky and the earth."

"Odin is the highest and oldest of the asas. He rules all things, but the other gods, each according to his might, serve him as children a father."

SkyRobo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally if this was comic book I'd say Odin but since its Mytho's version then Zeus..He has more impressive feats than the 2..

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: Examples like Ares and Dionysus aren't that good because you are using lesser gods, although deicide does exist in Greek mythology.

And Odin can't really defeat Zeus, especially given the latter's own lore of feats and accolades.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeus

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: I'm getting told that you responded to me, but I can't see your comment. Did you delete it?

Marcio_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: I'm getting told that you responded to me, but I can't see your comment. Did you delete it?

Sorry I deleted the post by accident. Here is that I wrote before:

The Greek gods can die. Pan died (he was always considered a god never a demigod) and Zagreus died (he was devoured by the Titans, but reborn as Dionysus). Ares not only died because it was saved by Hermes and the goddess Dione said this: "Bear it, my child," replied Dione, "and make the best of it. We dwellers in Olympus have to put up with much at the hands of men, and we lay much suffering on one another. Ares had to suffer when Otus and Ephialtes, children of Aloeus, bound him in cruel bonds, so that he lay thirteen months imprisoned in a vessel of bronze. Ares would have then perished had not fair Eeriboea, stepmother to the sons of Aloeus, told Hermes, who stole him away when he was already well-nighworn out by the severity of his bondage." Iliad book 5.

Other examples:

MENOE'TIUS (Menoitios). A son of Iapetus and Clymene or Asia, and a brother of Atlas, Prometheus and Epimetheus, was killed by Zeus with a flash of lightning, in the fight of the Titans, and thrown into Tartarus. (Hes. Theog. 507, &c., 514; Apollod. i. 2. § 3; Schol. ad Aeschyl. Prom. 347.) Source: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology. Menoetius was a cousin of Zeus.

IASION: "Elektra, the daughter of Atlas, and Zeus were the parents of Iasion and Dardanos. Now Iasion had a lust for Demeter and was hit by a thunderbolt as he was about to attack her." Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 3. 138 (trans. Aldrich).

IASION: "Teams [of horses] which destroyed their drivers . . . Horses destroyed Iasion, son of Jove [Zeus] by Electra, daughter of Atlas." [N.B. Presumably the horses destroyed Iasion when Zeus cast his lightning bolt, causing them to bolt in panic, throwing the rider from the chariot.] Pseudo-Hyginus, Fabulae 250 (trans. Grant).

LINUS was son of Urania and Apollo (Hygin. Fab. 161), or he was a son of Apollo by Aethusa, daughter of Poseidon (Contest 314) and he was died.

Chiron gave up his immortality and he was transformed into a constellation (Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 2. 83 - 87, Ovid, Metamorphoses 2. 649). The Moirai seems to have power over the immortality of the gods According Ovid, Metamorphoses 2. 649.

The Greek gods keeps his immortality with ambrosia and nectar. Hesiod says: "With nine silver-swirling streams he winds about the earth and the sea's wide back, and then falls into the main; but the tenth flows out from a rock, a sore trouble to the gods. For whoever of the deathless gods that hold the peaks of snowy Olympus pours a libation of her water and is forsworn, must lie breathless until a full year is completed, and never come near to taste ambrosia and nectar, but lie spiritless and voiceless on a strewn bed: and a heavy trance overshadows him. But when he has spent a long year in his sickness, another penance more hard follows after the first. For nine years he is cut off from the eternal gods and never joins their councils or their feasts, nine full years. But in the tenth year he comes again to join the assemblies of the deathless gods who live in the house of Olympus. (Theogony)

Marcio_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Marcio_35

@shootingnova said:

@marcio_35: Examples like Ares and Dionysus aren't that good because you are using lesser gods, although deicide does exist in Greek mythology.

And Odin can't really defeat Zeus, especially given the latter's own lore of feats and accolades.

1) "He then freed his father's brothers, whom Uranus had chained. In token of gratitude, they offered him thunder and lightning. Furnished with such weapons, Zeus can thenceforth command "both mortals and immortals" (Theog. 493-506)."

In norse mythology Thor and Odin are gods of thunder and Lightning. Odin is called of Þundr ("Thunderer") and Viðri ("Stormer"). In all mythologies thunder and lightning are the most powerful weapons. Odin can stop storms (Hávamál 154).

2) "From his shoulders came a hundred snake heads, frightful dragons, thrusting out blackish tongues; and from his eyes.... flared a light like fire," etc. (Theog. 824 ff.). Zeus struck him with this thunderbolts and cast him down into Tartarus."

Zeus defeated Typhon only because he had the help of Hermes, and the Aigipan (Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 1. 39 - 44; Suidas s.v. Haliplanktos). Zeus was first defeated by Typhon. Odin and his brothers killed Ymir which was huge and his blood killed all the giants except Bergelmir and his wife (Prose Edda).

3) "It is not possible either to trick or escape the mind of Zeus. - Hesiod (C.Eight Century B.C.), Theogony)"

Zeus was tricked by Prometheus twice. When Prometheus stole fire from the chariot of the sun and when he did Zeus choose fat instead of meat. Hesiod, Theogony 511 ff (trans. Evelyn-White). Zeus was almost put in chains by Hera, Poseidon and Athena, but he was saved by Briareos (Statius, Achilleid 1. 209 ff trans. Mozley; Homer, Iliad 1. 397 ff trans. Lattimore).

"You [Thetis] said you only among the immortals beat aside shameful destruction from Kronos’ son [Zeus] the dark-misted, that time when all the other Olympian gods sought to bind him, Hera and Poseidon and Pallas Athene. Then you, goddess, went and set him free from his shackles, summoning in speed the creature of the hundred hands to tall Olympos, that creature the gods name Briareos, but all men Aigaion (son of Aigaios, the Aegean), but he is far greater in strength than his father. He rejoicing in the glory of it sat down by Kronion [Zeus], and the rest of the blessed gods were frightened and gave up binding him." (Homer, Iliad 1. 397).

Odin can break free of chains (Hávamál 149).

4) "For already in Homer Zeus recovers the splendors and powers of a true Indo-European sovereign god. He is more than a god of the "vast sky," he is "the father of gods and men" (Iliad 1.544). And in a fragment of his Heliades (frag. 70 Nauck), Aeschylus proclaims: "Zeus is the ether, Zeus is the earth, Zeus is the sky. Yes, Zeus is all that is above all."

Turville-Petre, Gabriel about Odin: "The Norwegian and Icelandic poets, as well as Snorri, whose work derives from theirs, present Óðinn as the foremost and chief of the gods. In Snorri's eyes, Óðinn excelled the other gods so far that, in one passage (Gylf. 4), he endows Óðinn with immortality and other qualities of the Christian God." Source: Myth and Religion of the North.

5) "Zeus is the air, Zeus the earth, Zeus all things and what transcends them all. - Aeschylus (525 B.C. - 456 B.C.), Fragments." "Zeus is the air, Zeus earth, and Zeus the sky, Zeus everything and all that's more than these."

Gylfaginning: "He (Óðinn) lives from everlasting to everlasting, rules over all his realm, and governs all things, great and small." "He (Óðinn) rules all things, but the other gods, each according to his might, serve him as children a father." "Hemade heaven and earth, the air and all things in them." Odin sacrificed himself to himself and transcended death (Hávamál 138-145).

6) "Consciousness of his omnipotence is admirably illustrated in the famous scene in the Iliad (8.17 ff.) in which Zeus makes this challenge to the Olympians: "Then [you] will see how far I am strongest of all the immortals. Come, you gods, make this endeavor, that you all may learn this. Let down out of the sky a cord of gold; lay hold of it all you who are gods and all who are goddesses, yet not even so can you drag down Zeus from the sky to the ground, not Zeus the high lord of counsel, though you try until you grow weary. Yet whenever I might strongly be minded to pull you, I could drag you up, earth and all and sea and all with you, then fetch the golden rope about the horn of Olympos and make it fast, so that all once more should dangle in mid air. So much stronger am I than the gods, and stronger than mortals" (trans. Richmond Lattimore, The Iliad of Homer [Chicago, 1951])."

Hercules wrestled with Zeus in a fight and ended in a draw.

"Odin is the highest and oldest of the asas. He rules all things, but the other gods, each according to his might, serve him as children a father. "When they came to him he (Óðinn) threw the serpent (Jömungandr) into the deep sea which surrounds all lands. There waxed the serpent so that he lies in the deep of the ocean, surrounds all the lands, and bites his own tail. Hel he (Odin) cast into Niflheim, and gave her power over nine worlds, that she should appoint abodes to them that are sent to her, namely, those who die from sickness or old age." (Gylfaginning).

7) "And now his thunder bolts would Jove wide scatter, but he feared the flames, unnumbered, sacred ether might ignite and burn the axle of the universe: and he remembered in the scroll of fate, there is a time appointed when the sea and earth and Heavens shall melt, and fire destroy the universe of mighty labour wrought. Such weapons by the skill of Cyclops forged, for different punishment he laid aside—for straightway he preferred to overwhelm the mortal race beneath deep waves and storms from every raining sky."

Thor riding in heaven with his chariot: "All the hawks’ sanctuaries (skies) found themselves burning because of Ull’s stepfather (Thor), and the ground all low was battered with hail, when the goats drew the temple-power (Thor) of the easy-chariot forward to the encounter with Hrungnir. Svolnir’s widow (Jord, earth) practically split apart. Baldr’s brother (Thor) did not spare there the greedy enemy of men (Hrungnir). Mountains shook and rocks smashed; heaven above burned. I have heard that the watcher (Hrungnir) of the dark bone (rock) of the land (sea) of Haki’s carriages (ships) moved violently in opposition when he saw his warlike slayer." (Haustlöng).

Odin is also a god of thunder (he was called Þundr and Viðri). "Then they (Bor's sons) took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about afier they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath. They gave their stations to all the stars, some fixed in the sky; others [planetary] that had wandered at will in the firmament were now given their appointed places and the paths in which they were to travel." (Gylfaginning).

Odin and the Norse gods decide the fate/destiny (Gylfaginning and Gautreks Saga).

8) "So then, [Zeus] by engulfing Erikepaios the Firstborn [Phanes], he had the body of all things in his belly, and he mixed into his own limbs the god’s power and strength. Because of this, together with him, everything came to be again inside Zeus, the broad air and the lofty splendour of heaven, the undraining sea and earth’s glorious seat, great Okeanos and the lowest Tartara of the earth, rivers and boundless sea and everything else, and all the immortal blessed gods and goddesses, all that had existed and all that was to exist afterwards became one and grew together in the belly of Zeus. After he had hidden them all away, again into the glad light from his holy heart he brought them up, performing mighty acts."

More about Orphic hymns: "[So Zeus swallowed the body of the god] of the Firstborn king [Phanes], the reverend one. And with him all the immortals became one, the blessed gods and goddesses and rivers and lovely springs and everything else that then existed: he became the only one." Some say Zeus devoured Phanes in order to assume his primal cosmic power and redistribute it amongst a new generation of gods--the Olympians which he sired. Source: http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Phanes.html

The Orphic hymns was another version to the creation of the world, the Greeks had to create multiple versions. They are possibly influenced by Near Eastern models.

"He (Odin) needs no food himself. Wine is to him both food and drink, as is here said: Gere and Freke Sates the warfaring, Famous father of hosts; But on wine alone Odin in arms renowned Forever lives."

Jacob Grimm about Odin: It can scarcely be doubted that the word is immediately derived fro verb OHG. watan wuot, ON vaða, ôð, signifying meare, transmeare, cum impetu ferri, but not identical with Lat. vadere, as the latter has the a long, and is more likely connected with OS. gavîtan, AS. gewîtan. From watan comes the subst. wuot (our wuth, fury), as menoj and animus properly mean mens, ingenium, and then also impetuosity, wildness; the ON. öðr has kept to the one meaning of mens or sensus. According to this, Wuotan, Oðinn would be the all-powerfull, all-penetrating being, qui omnia permeat; as Lucan says of Jupiter: Est quodcunque vides, quocunque moveris, the spirit-god; conf. Georg. 4, 221: Deus ire per omnes terras, and Ecl. 3,60: Jovis omnia plena." Teutonic Mythology v1.

So Zeus and Odin are equivalent.

Stupid_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bet on Zeus every time.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: I'm not using the quotes to individually assert Zeus's superiority, I'm using them collectively. And the issue with mythology in general is how inconsistent it is across a variety of writers. So what I'm saying isn't wrong, it's just a version of the tales.

Zeus defeated Typhon only because he had the help of Hermes, and the Aigipan (Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 1. 39 - 44; Suidas s.v. Haliplanktos). Zeus was first defeated by Typhon. Odin and his brothers killed Ymir which was huge and his blood killed all the giants except Bergelmir and his wife (Prose Edda).

This is dependent on the version you are telling. Yes, there are myths where Zeus's sinews are cut out and he has them restored to him before he beats Typhon, and there are even myths where it is Athena who stands against Typhon. There are also myths where Zeus just strikes Typhon down. I posted a quote regarding this some time ago, I can't find it now and I don't have the source at the moment (I believe it was A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1).

Zeus was tricked by Prometheus twice. When Prometheus stole fire from the chariot of the sun and when he did Zeus choose fat instead of meat. Hesiod, Theogony 511 ff (trans. Evelyn-White). Zeus was almost put in chains by Hera, Poseidon and Athena, but he was saved by Briareos (Statius, Achilleid 1. 209 ff trans. Mozley; Homer, Iliad 1. 397 ff trans. Lattimore).

Prometheus's tricks are ambiguous. If you take the comments of several people, then Zeus was actually just testing Promtheus and not getting tricked. Other sources suggest that Prometheus fooled Zeus.

Zeus being chained doesn't even happen in some myths.

Gylfaginning: "He (Óðinn) lives from everlasting to everlasting, rules over all his realm, and governs all things, great and small." "He (Óðinn) rules all things, but the other gods, each according to his might, serve him as children a father." "Hemade heaven and earth, the air and all things in them." Odin sacrificed himself to himself and transcended death (Hávamál 138-145).

That quote doesn't really mean anything. The accolade I posted for Zeus is superior.

Like what I said above, not all myths have this, not to mention Zeus could have been holding back. In any case, Heracles is considered to be on par with the gods or even superior to some of them if certain myths are to be trusted. Not necessarily superior to Zeus, but just superior to the more typical gods like Ares.

Thor riding in heaven with his chariot: "All the hawks’ sanctuaries (skies) found themselves burning because of Ull’s stepfather (Thor), and the ground all low was battered with hail, when the goats drew the temple-power (Thor) of the easy-chariot forward to the encounter with Hrungnir. Svolnir’s widow (Jord, earth) practically split apart. Baldr’s brother (Thor) did not spare there the greedy enemy of men (Hrungnir). Mountains shook and rocks smashed; heaven above burned. I have heard that the watcher (Hrungnir) of the dark bone (rock) of the land (sea) of Haki’s carriages (ships) moved violently in opposition when he saw his warlike slayer." (Haustlöng).

Odin is also a god of thunder (he was called Þundr and Viðri). "Then they (Bor's sons) took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about afier they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath. They gave their stations to all the stars, some fixed in the sky; others [planetary] that had wandered at will in the firmament were now given their appointed places and the paths in which they were to travel." (Gylfaginning).

None of these equate to having weapons that can destroy the universe.

Odin and the Norse gods decide the fate/destiny (Gylfaginning and Gautreks Saga).

This is a minority of myths. Odin and the Norse Gods are doomed to die in Ragnarok by virtue of the Fate's (the Norn's) will. In several myths, Odin tries to avert this but he can't.

And I'm not sure what manipulating Fate has to do with anything. Some Greek myths portrayed Zeus as manipulated by the Fates, and the ones that portray Zeus as more powerful an entity (he is sometimes even considered omnipotent) also portray him as superior to the Fates.

The Orphic hymns was another version to the creation of the world, the Greeks had to create multiple versions. They are possibly influenced by Near Eastern models.

I admit that Orphism portrays Zeus as superior to what you would generally find in Greek mythology, but it's still worth noting the accolades he receives.

"He (Odin) needs no food himself. Wine is to him both food and drink, as is here said: Gere and Freke Sates the warfaring, Famous father of hosts; But on wine alone Odin in arms renowned Forever lives."

He does require the Golden Apples to sustain his immortality, which occurs in at least some of the texts that I've read.

Jacob Grimm about Odin: It can scarcely be doubted that the word is immediately derived fro verb OHG. watan wuot, ON vaða, ôð, signifying meare, transmeare, cum impetu ferri, but not identical with Lat. vadere, as the latter has the a long, and is more likely connected with OS. gavîtan, AS. gewîtan. From watan comes the subst. wuot (our wuth, fury), as menoj and animus properly mean mens, ingenium, and then also impetuosity, wildness; the ON. öðr has kept to the one meaning of mens or sensus. According to this, Wuotan, Oðinn would be the all-powerfull, all-penetrating being, qui omnia permeat; as Lucan says of Jupiter: Est quodcunque vides, quocunque moveris, the spirit-god; conf. Georg. 4, 221: Deus ire per omnes terras, and Ecl. 3,60: Jovis omnia plena." Teutonic Mythology v1.

Omnipotent/all-powerful do not literally mean absolute power. Odin is clearly not omnipotent by virtue of his death in Ragnarok, and going off such accolades, Zeus has received the exact same accolade of being omnipotent.

Not really. Accounting for Odin's death in Ragnarok, he was devoured by Fenrir, who could open his jaws wide enough to swallow a sun. Zeus turned aside Oceanus's anger, which could "drown the sun and stars":

"[Dionysos set the streams of the river Hydaspes aflame :] Okeanos also cried out against Dionysos in menacing words, pouring a watery roar from his manystream throat, and deluging the shores of the world with the flood of words which issued from his everlasting mouth like a fountain : `O Tethys! Agemate and bedmate of Okeanos, ancient as the world, nurse of commingled waters, selfborn, loving mother of children, what shall we do? Now Rainy Zeus blazes in arms against me and your children. Even as Asopos found the father Zeus Kronion his destroyer, in the bastard shape of a bird, so Hydaspes has found Bakkhos the son. Nay, I will bring my water against he lightnings of Zeus, and drown the fiery Sun in my quenching flood, I will put out the Stars of heaven! Kronion shall see me overwhelm Selene with my roaring streams. Under the region of the Bear, I will wash with my waters the ends of the axle and the dry track of the Wain. The heavenly Dolphin, which long ago swam in my deep sea, I will make to swim once more, and cover him with new seas. I will drag down from heaven the fiery Eridanos whose course is among the stars, and bring him back to a new home in the Celtic land: he shall be water again, and the sky shall be bare of the river of fire. The starry Fishes that swim on high I will pull in to the sea and make them mine again, to swim in water instead of Olympos. Tethys, awake! We will drown the stars in water, that I may see the Bull, who once swam over a waveless sea, tossed on stormier waves in the paths of the waters after the bed of Europa. Selene herself, bullshaped and horned driver of cattle, may be angry to see my horned bullshaped form. I will travel high into the heaven, that I may behold Cepheus drenched and the Wagggoner in soaking tunic, as Earthshaker once did when about Korinthos soaking Ares once boldly shouted defiance of battle against stars! I will swallow the shining Goat, the nurse of Zeus, and I will offer infinite water to the Waterman as a suitable gift. Get ready, Tethys, and you, O Thalassa (Sea)! For Zeus has been delivered of a base son in bull shape, to destroy all Rivers and all creatures together, all blameless: the thyrsus wand has slain the Indians, the torch has burnt Hydaspes!’

So he cried blustering in a flood of speech from his deep waves. Father Zeus turned aside the menace of his angry son, for he massed the clouds and flung out a thunderclap; he stayed the flaming attack of Dionysos, and calmed the anger of boundless Okeanos. Hera also made an infinite noise resound through the air, to restrain the wrath of Dionysos’ fiery power. Then old Hydaspes held out a wet hand to merciful Bakkhos, and appealed to the fiery son of Zeus in words that bubbled out of his lips : `. . . I am ashamed to appear before my father [Okeanos], because the murmuring stream which I draw is mingled with blood, and I pollute Poseidon with clots of gore; this it was, only this that armed to strive against Dionysos. By your father, protector of guests and suppliants, have mercy on Hydaspes, now hot and boiling with your fire!'"

Source: Nonnus, Dionysiaca 23. 280 ff :

RocketStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By RocketStark

Anthony Hopkins > Liam Neeson

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anthony Hopkins > Liam Neeson

I actually do agree.

Marcio_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: I'm not using the quotes to individually assert Zeus's superiority, I'm using them collectively. And the issue with mythology in general is how inconsistent it is across a variety of writers. So what I'm saying isn't wrong, it's just a version of the tales.

This is dependent on the version you are telling. Yes, there are myths where Zeus's sinews are cut out and he has them restored to him before he beats Typhon, and there are even myths where it is Athena who stands against Typhon. There are also myths where Zeus just strikes Typhon down. I posted a quote regarding this some time ago, I can't find it now and I don't have the source at the moment (I believe it was A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1).

Prometheus's tricks are ambiguous. If you take the comments of several people, then Zeus was actually just testing Promtheus and not getting tricked. Other sources suggest that Prometheus fooled Zeus.

Zeus being chained doesn't even happen in some myths.

That quote doesn't really mean anything. The accolade I posted for Zeus is superior.

Like what I said above, not all myths have this, not to mention Zeus could have been holding back. In any case, Heracles is considered to be on par with the gods or even superior to some of them if certain myths are to be trusted. Not necessarily superior to Zeus, but just superior to the more typical gods like Ares.

None of these equate to having weapons that can destroy the universe.

This is a minority of myths. Odin and the Norse Gods are doomed to die in Ragnarok by virtue of the Fate's (the Norn's) will. In several myths, Odin tries to avert this but he can't.

And I'm not sure what manipulating Fate has to do with anything. Some Greek myths portrayed Zeus as manipulated by the Fates, and the ones that portray Zeus as more powerful an entity (he is sometimes even considered omnipotent) also portray him as superior to the Fates.

I admit that Orphism portrays Zeus as superior to what you would generally find in Greek mythology, but it's still worth noting the accolades he receives.

He does require the Golden Apples to sustain his immortality, which occurs in at least some of the texts that I've read.

Omnipotent/all-powerful do not literally mean absolute power. Odin is clearly not omnipotent by virtue of his death in Ragnarok, and going off such accolades, Zeus has received the exact same accolade of being omnipotent.

Not really. Accounting for Odin's death in Ragnarok, he was devoured by Fenrir, who could open his jaws wide enough to swallow a sun. Zeus turned aside Oceanus's anger, which could "drown the sun and stars":

"[Dionysos set the streams of the river Hydaspes aflame :] Okeanos also cried out against Dionysos in menacing words, pouring a watery roar from his manystream throat, and deluging the shores of the world with the flood of words which issued from his everlasting mouth like a fountain : `O Tethys! Agemate and bedmate of Okeanos, ancient as the world, nurse of commingled waters, selfborn, loving mother of children, what shall we do? Now Rainy Zeus blazes in arms against me and your children. Even as Asopos found the father Zeus Kronion his destroyer, in the bastard shape of a bird, so Hydaspes has found Bakkhos the son. Nay, I will bring my water against he lightnings of Zeus, and drown the fiery Sun in my quenching flood, I will put out the Stars of heaven! Kronion shall see me overwhelm Selene with my roaring streams. Under the region of the Bear, I will wash with my waters the ends of the axle and the dry track of the Wain. The heavenly Dolphin, which long ago swam in my deep sea, I will make to swim once more, and cover him with new seas. I will drag down from heaven the fiery Eridanos whose course is among the stars, and bring him back to a new home in the Celtic land: he shall be water again, and the sky shall be bare of the river of fire. The starry Fishes that swim on high I will pull in to the sea and make them mine again, to swim in water instead of Olympos. Tethys, awake! We will drown the stars in water, that I may see the Bull, who once swam over a waveless sea, tossed on stormier waves in the paths of the waters after the bed of Europa. Selene herself, bullshaped and horned driver of cattle, may be angry to see my horned bullshaped form. I will travel high into the heaven, that I may behold Cepheus drenched and the Wagggoner in soaking tunic, as Earthshaker once did when about Korinthos soaking Ares once boldly shouted defiance of battle against stars! I will swallow the shining Goat, the nurse of Zeus, and I will offer infinite water to the Waterman as a suitable gift. Get ready, Tethys, and you, O Thalassa (Sea)! For Zeus has been delivered of a base son in bull shape, to destroy all Rivers and all creatures together, all blameless: the thyrsus wand has slain the Indians, the torch has burnt Hydaspes!’

So he cried blustering in a flood of speech from his deep waves. Father Zeus turned aside the menace of his angry son, for he massed the clouds and flung out a thunderclap; he stayed the flaming attack of Dionysos, and calmed the anger of boundless Okeanos. Hera also made an infinite noise resound through the air, to restrain the wrath of Dionysos’ fiery power. Then old Hydaspes held out a wet hand to merciful Bakkhos, and appealed to the fiery son of Zeus in words that bubbled out of his lips : `. . . I am ashamed to appear before my father [Okeanos], because the murmuring stream which I draw is mingled with blood, and I pollute Poseidon with clots of gore; this it was, only this that armed to strive against Dionysos. By your father, protector of guests and suppliants, have mercy on Hydaspes, now hot and boiling with your fire!'"

Source: Nonnus, Dionysiaca 23. 280 ff :

"This is dependent on the version you are telling. Yes, there are myths where Zeus's sinews are cut out and he has them restored to him before he beats Typhon, and there are even myths where it is Athena who stands against Typhon. There are also myths where Zeus just strikes Typhon down. I posted a quote regarding this some time ago, I can't find it now and I don't have the source at the moment (I believe it was A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1)."

The most popular version of this myth Zeus is being helped by and Hermes Pan. This myth is a copy of the Hurrian mythology where Teshub/Teshup needs help to defeat a dragon Illuyanka.

"Prometheus's tricks are ambiguous. If you take the comments of several people, then Zeus was actually just testing Promtheus and not getting tricked. Other sources suggest that Prometheus fooled Zeus."

Zeus was tricked by Hera with the help of Hypnos.

"Zeus being chained doesn't even happen in some myths."

The myth suggests that Zeus would be arrested unless he does not need help of Briareus.

"That quote doesn't really mean anything. The accolade I posted for Zeus is superior."

Odin and his brothers created the earth, the heavens, men, dwarves and elves, stars, planets, air and etc. and it means nothing?

"Like what I said above, not all myths have this, not to mention Zeus could have been holding back. In any case, Heracles is considered to be on par with the gods or even superior to some of them if certain myths are to be trusted. Not necessarily superior to Zeus, but just superior to the more typical gods like Ares."

Of course that means, if Zeus is stronger than all gods why he did not win the fight against Hercules (which was still a demigod)?

"None of these equate to having weapons that can destroy the universe."

The Greeks understood the universe differently from how we see fashion today. It was like an egg: the top was heaven, the middle part of the earth and the bottom of the underworld. The dwarf Brokk told Thor that he could use the strength he wanted when he was hit with his hammer (Skáldskaparmál). If Thor want to destroy the universe the hammer will obey it. Thor is the god of power and strength (Gylfaginning). Mjöllnir = Zeus's thunderbolt.

"This is a minority of myths. Odin and the Norse Gods are doomed to die in Ragnarok by virtue of the Fate's (the Norn's) will. In several myths, Odin tries to avert this but he can't."

No source of Norse mythology says Norns governs the destinies of gods. Sources say they rule the destinies of men (Völuspá 19-20, Gylfaginning 15). Snorri says that the gods and Norns decide the fate. (Gylfaginning 15). In Gautreks Saga Odin and Thor have greater power over the destiny. Odin is the oldest of the gods and Idun is an elf (Hrafnagaldr Óðins poem) and elves were created by the gods (Völuspá), so Odin was already immortal before Idun born. The Haustlöng poem written by a pagan poet in the 10th century said that the gods only grow old when they are not eating the apples of Idun. Idun and her apples were abducted by Þjazi. If Idun and her apples were stolen by Þjazi why the gods did not die as soon as it happened? Saxo Grammaticus also said twice that the Norse gods were immortal (Gesta Danorum books 4 and 5).

"And I'm not sure what manipulating Fate has to do with anything. Some Greek myths portrayed Zeus as manipulated by the Fates, and the ones that portray Zeus as more powerful an entity (he is sometimes even considered omnipotent) also portray him as superior to the Fates."

Zeus feared Nyx (Iliad).

"Omnipotent/all-powerful do not literally mean absolute power. Odin is clearly not omnipotent by virtue of his death in Ragnarok, and going off such accolades, Zeus has received the exact same accolade of being omnipotent."

The name of Odin meaning "all-powerful or all-penetrating being" according to Jacob Grimm, suggesting that Odin is in everything. There is a runestone from the 11th century in Sweden (Ledberg) where Odin will be attacked by Fenrir and Víðarr appears and kills Fenrir and Odin survives. The death of Odin appears only in the northern sources written after the 13th century. These sources were written by Christians who may have misrepresented these reports. Some fragments of Viking poets of the 10th century says that Thor killed Jörmungandr and survived while the Eddas say they both died. Many scholars of Norse mythology and religion believe that Ragnarökr may have suffered Christian influence (Hilda R. E. Davidson, Gods and Myths of Northern Europe; Gabriel Turville-Petre, Myth and Religion of the North; Heather O'Donoghue, From Asgard to Valhalla and many others). Snorri says that Troy was Asgard and the Norse gods were were Trojans (Skáldskaparmál). Surtr's fire was burning Troy (Skáldskaparmál). That's invention of Snorri Sturluson. The Christians have changed the Norse myth transformed the gods into mortals for the people to discredit them. Because the popular faith in the gods was still great among the people until the 16th century (Olaus Magnus, Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus). Do you not think strange various sources say that Odin is immortal, then he would be killed by Fenrir? Archaeology contradicts the writings on the death of Odin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ledbergsstenen_2.jpg).

"Not really. Accounting for Odin's death in Ragnarok, he was devoured by Fenrir, who could open his jaws wide enough to swallow a sun. Zeus turned aside Oceanus's anger, which could "drown the sun and stars":

"[Dionysos set the streams of the river Hydaspes aflame :] Okeanos also cried out against Dionysos in menacing words, pouring a watery roar from his manystream throat, and deluging the shores of the world with the flood of words which issued from his everlasting mouth like a fountain : `O Tethys! Agemate and bedmate of Okeanos, ancient as the world, nurse of commingled waters, selfborn, loving mother of children, what shall we do? Now Rainy Zeus blazes in arms against me and your children. Even as Asopos found the father Zeus Kronion his destroyer, in the bastard shape of a bird, so Hydaspes has found Bakkhos the son. Nay, I will bring my water against he lightnings of Zeus, and drown the fiery Sun in my quenching flood, I will put out the Stars of heaven! Kronion shall see me overwhelm Selene with my roaring streams. Under the region of the Bear, I will wash with my waters the ends of the axle and the dry track of the Wain. The heavenly Dolphin, which long ago swam in my deep sea, I will make to swim once more, and cover him with new seas. I will drag down from heaven the fiery Eridanos whose course is among the stars, and bring him back to a new home in the Celtic land: he shall be water again, and the sky shall be bare of the river of fire. The starry Fishes that swim on high I will pull in to the sea and make them mine again, to swim in water instead of Olympos. Tethys, awake! We will drown the stars in water, that I may see the Bull, who once swam over a waveless sea, tossed on stormier waves in the paths of the waters after the bed of Europa. Selene herself, bullshaped and horned driver of cattle, may be angry to see my horned bullshaped form. I will travel high into the heaven, that I may behold Cepheus drenched and the Wagggoner in soaking tunic, as Earthshaker once did when about Korinthos soaking Ares once boldly shouted defiance of battle against stars! I will swallow the shining Goat, the nurse of Zeus, and I will offer infinite water to the Waterman as a suitable gift. Get ready, Tethys, and you, O Thalassa (Sea)! For Zeus has been delivered of a base son in bull shape, to destroy all Rivers and all creatures together, all blameless: the thyrsus wand has slain the Indians, the torch has burnt Hydaspes!u2019

So he cried blustering in a flood of speech from his deep waves. Father Zeus turned aside the menace of his angry son, for he massed the clouds and flung out a thunderclap; he stayed the flaming attack of Dionysos, and calmed the anger of boundless Okeanos. Hera also made an infinite noise resound through the air, to restrain the wrath of Dionysosu2019 fiery power. Then old Hydaspes held out a wet hand to merciful Bakkhos, and appealed to the fiery son of Zeus in words that bubbled out of his lips : `. . . I am ashamed to appear before my father [Okeanos], because the murmuring stream which I draw is mingled with blood, and I pollute Poseidon with clots of gore; this it was, only this that armed to strive against Dionysos. By your father, protector of guests and suppliants, have mercy on Hydaspes, now hot and boiling with your fire!'"

Odin was identified with various Roman gods (= Greek):

Mercury was the conductor of the dead, inventor of letters, loved disguises, was the god of intellect and wisdom, poetry, stole everything he wanted, he was the god of travelers, he was god of the wind and martial games, he was also the god of magic, medicine and the occult. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Gesta Danorum, Germania, weekday's names, Ælfric of Eynsham.

Mars was the god of war and fury and wore a gold helmet. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Gesta Hammaburgensis Ecclesiae Pontificum.

Jupiter was the father of gods and men, he was king of the gods, he had several mistresses, and was lord of heaven: lightning, thunder, wind... Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Ceciliu Saga C and Agötu Saga.

Hercules was the god of strength, protector of the world and symbol of courage. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Clemens Saga and AM 645 4° or XXVIII a 4°, Vitus Saga.

Saturnus was the father of gods and lord of time. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Sebastianus Saga.

Neptune was the god of the sea, wind, navigation and storm. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Ermoldus Nigellus.

So Odin has the power of all these Roman gods which he was identified.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: Don't quote me if you aren't going to use the actual quote.

The most popular version of this myth Zeus is being helped by and Hermes Pan. This myth is a copy of the Hurrian mythology where Teshub/Teshup needs help to defeat a dragon Illuyanka.

Conceded, but if we are using alternate versions (including some in which Typhon doesn't even exist) then Zeus would win over Odin. Typhon's description seemed more imposing than Fenrir, though.

Only in some myths. Again, the quote may be a reference to alternate myths.

The myth suggests that Zeus would be arrested unless he does not need help of Briareus.

There are myths where Zeus is chained down. The Cyclops get him out and he punishes Hera, then takes Poseidon and Apollo's immortality and makes them build the walls of Troy.

And again, there are myths where this never happened.

Odin and his brothers created the earth, the heavens, men, dwarves and elves, stars, planets, air and etc. and it means nothing?

It was also with Vili and Ve, so.....

Besides, the accolade I posted for Zeus from Aeschylus is superior. Suggesting Zeus had unity with everything, and yet still transcended them all, is essentially superior to what you posted.

Then again, you could interpret that as metaphorical in a sense, but going off some myths it actually isn't.

Zeus feared Nyx (Iliad).

That is Homer's Zeus only, and Nyx is not the Fates. In fact, the Fates are children of Nyx in some myths. In some later myths, they were Zeus's children.

Mercury was the conductor of the dead, inventor of letters, loved disguises, was the god of intellect and wisdom, poetry, stole everything he wanted, he was the god of travelers, he was god of the wind and martial games, he was also the god of magic, medicine and the occult. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Gesta Danorum, Germania, weekday's names, Ælfric of Eynsham.

Mars was the god of war and fury and wore a gold helmet. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Gesta Hammaburgensis Ecclesiae Pontificum.

Jupiter was the father of gods and men, he was king of the gods, he had several mistresses, and was lord of heaven: lightning, thunder, wind... Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Ceciliu Saga C and Agötu Saga.

Hercules was the god of strength, protector of the world and symbol of courage. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Clemens Saga and AM 645 4° or XXVIII a 4°, Vitus Saga.

Saturnus was the father of gods and lord of time. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Sebastianus Saga.

Neptune was the god of the sea, wind, navigation and storm. Odin was all that too. This identification is in manuscript/book: Ermoldus Nigellus.

Odin's comparisons to the Romans does not mean he is exactly as powerful and does not excuse him from Fenrir swallowing him. In fact, based off feats/accolades, the Greeks would be more powerful than the Romans, with the possible exception of Jupiter and Zeus.

None of this excuses Odin from being swallowed by a stellar level entity, who are beings within the class that Zeus stomps on.

Marcio_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Marcio_35

@shootingnova said:

@marcio_35: Don't quote me if you aren't going to use the actual quote.

Conceded, but if we are using alternate versions (including some in which Typhon doesn't even exist) then Zeus would win over Odin. Typhon's description seemed more imposing than Fenrir, though.

Only in some myths. Again, the quote may be a reference to alternate myths.

There are myths where Zeus is chained down. The Cyclops get him out and he punishes Hera, then takes Poseidon and Apollo's immortality and makes them build the walls of Troy.

And again, there are myths where this never happened.

It was also with Vili and Ve, so.....

Besides, the accolade I posted for Zeus from Aeschylus is superior. Suggesting Zeus had unity with everything, and yet still transcended them all, is essentially superior to what you posted.

Then again, you could interpret that as metaphorical in a sense, but going off some myths it actually isn't.

Zeus feared Nyx (Iliad).

That is Homer's Zeus only, and Nyx is not the Fates. In fact, the Fates are children of Nyx in some myths. In some later myths, they were Zeus's children.

Odin's comparisons to the Romans does not mean he is exactly as powerful and does not excuse him from Fenrir swallowing him. In fact, based off feats/accolades, the Greeks would be more powerful than the Romans, with the possible exception of Jupiter and Zeus.

None of this excuses Odin from being swallowed by a stellar level entity, who are beings within the class that Zeus stomps on.

You only considers the greatest achievements of the Greek gods and not accept the various versions of them (where they are weaker), while you agree with the Norse Odin's death even though it can be a Christian invention and does not consider his greatest achievements, just to encourage Zeus? The earliest source (Ledberg runestone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ledbergsstenen_2.jpg) that shows Odin surviving Fenrir who is killed by Víðarr you ignore? Ermoldus Nigellus identified Odin with God (of Christians) and Thor with Jesus.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#196 SC  Moderator

@anonym555: Hello. Welcome to CV. Please be aware that ComicVine has a no swearing policy so in the future please refrain from using some of the words you used. Also please veer away from rhetoric that implicitly insults users. Its okay to disagree with users, even strongly, but some politeness and civility is required. Thank you, take care!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Wolfrazer  Online

You know through all this...I'm surprised that there aren't respect threads for Myth characters. Think it would be interesting...at least considering they are used in battles and so forth.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcio_35: Going off the weakest versions, they are about equal, or Zeus is slightly ahead. Going off the most powerful incarnations, Zeus stomps.

Odin does not survive all the myths in which Vidar kills Fenrir. So.....

And I have no idea what equating Odin and Thor with Jesus and God has to do with anything. They are not the same beings, do not represent the same principles, do not have the same story, etc.

Marcio_35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Marcio_35

@shootingnova said:

@marcio_35: Going off the weakest versions, they are about equal, or Zeus is slightly ahead. Going off the most powerful incarnations, Zeus stomps.

Odin does not survive all the myths in which Vidar kills Fenrir. So.....

And I have no idea what equating Odin and Thor with Jesus and God has to do with anything. They are not the same beings, do not represent the same principles, do not have the same story, etc.

Should be considered the most ancient myths, why are the most faithful to the thinking of ancient peoples. Multiple versions of the same myth is influenced by other cultures.

The runestone Ledberg is 11th century while the Eddas are the 13th century. So which one is the oldest and original version?

So I will consider that Zeus died because he was a mortal and was buried in Crete (as Euhemerus said in late 4th century BC, Marcus Terentius Varro 116 BC – 27 BC and Porphyry in the 3rd century CE). Nothing excuse Zeus died and was buried in Crete, Odin sacrificed himself to himself and survived.

Avatar image for usernameunderconstruction
UserNameUnderConstruction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zeus in a stomp