Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By kingkronos

@jeanroygrant said:

What has Myth Thor done?

Light speed. Shake the universe indirectly. Electrify the world. And destroy mountains easily. planet+ level strength.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By xxxddd

Marvel Thor.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jeanroygrant

@kingkronos said:

@jeanroygrant said:

What has Myth Thor done?

Light speed. Shake the universe indirectly. Electrify the world. And destroy mountains easily. planet+ level strength.

Than he wins.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By ShootingNova

@jeanroygrant said:

What has Myth Thor done?

Tell me when Marvel Thor shatters mountains with his average strike, revives the dead, shakes the universe through indirect means, unleashes swaths of lightning capable of slaying all mortals in Midgard, and strength that can lift mountains x2 (from Megingjord, belt of strength) plus extra (from his gauntlets).

@DocFatalis said:

It's the same character written by people from two different eras. To me there is no such thing as "marvel Thor" and "myth Thor" Marvel just added stories to the myth.

There's a lot of difference. Marvel has absolutely wrong myths, too, at times. Thor's mother was Gaia/Gaea in Marvel. That's Greek in mythology. Thor's mother in Norse mythology (one of Odin's wives, yes, he had more than one) was Fjorgyn.

TwoGunGunnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TwoGunGunnar

This is a subject near and dear to me. I can remember, as a kid, finding a great illustrated book on Norse Myth after having read the comics, and I remember almost feeling betrayed by Marvel over how much they changed everything, especially Thor - and how they changed him towards the direction of Less Cool.

Let's start with Thor & personality:

We all know what Marvel-Thor's personality is.

But Thor-Thor...think Robert Baratheon from Game of Thrones before Robert got old & beat down by life, responsibility, and an emasculating wife. Thor's not stupid, but he's simple. He's an extremely powerful, loud, boisterous, and charismatic being that likes to drink, carouse, hunt & fish, wench and fight. He's good, but he's not goody-goody like Marvel-Thor....there is a difference. He really is the same personality as Robert Baratheon - a fundamentally good yet short-tempered, hard-partying, charismatic, rowdy, hyper-masculine elite badass.

Moving on to "humility". In the comics, we know "Thor"'s origin story. But this is totally alien to the ethos of the culture that came up with these characters. Read the Eddas & Sagas - humility is not a highly esteemed Viking virtue. At all. And it's especially triply most definitely not a virtue of the Viking Gods. They valued strength, bravery, cunning, power & status. The closest thing to humility that they valued was hospitality (hugely important), but humility is a Judeo-Christian value. The very idea that Odin would send Thor to Earth in the form of a weakling because Thor's ego was out-of-control is 100% at odds with everything Thor & Odin are about. It'd be like a Navy SEAL getting kicked out of the teams for not being humble and self-effacing. The SEALS want their guys to be arrogant aggressive confident swaggering alpha males. Odin didn't welcome you into Valhalla because you kneeled and made yourself humble before him, begging for his forgiveness - that entire attitude was not part of the Viking ethos. He let you into Valhalla for being a Thoroughly Confident Pipe-Swinging Badass. Thor had every right to a God-Sized Ego - he was a God!

And then there's the look. I love Stan Lee & Jack Kirby, but I don't think Jack was trying very hard when he came up with "Thor"'s look. The tights. The young baby face. The blond hair. The jazzercise wristbands. The "T" on his belt buckle. The lame circles on his torso. Marvel's "Thor" just looks totally different than Thor should look like: A non-baby-faced, mean-looking red-haired Viking. Thor has a beard, but those can be shaved, I suppose. The blond hair has always bothered me, though. The red hair was one of Thor's trademark characteristics. If they were going to change him to a blond they might as well have just given him a magic katana instead of a hammer.

And that's just Thor. Marvel didn't pay much respect to the other characters either. The biggest, most glaring offense (other than Thor) is Loki. In most of the myths, Loki & Thor were buddies, basically. They went on adventures all the time. Loki was the wit & brains to Thor's brawn - they made a good team. And Loki wasn't a wormy-looking guy - he was described as handsome & beautiful. If anything, the blond guy Kirby drew should've been Loki. And except for a couple stories, Loki wasn't Evil, just sort of a brat. And he wasn't Thor's stepbrother, Loki was Odin's blood-brother.

It just goes on and on...except for the names, Marvel didn't respect any of it.

As for who would win if Thor & "Thor" got in a fight? Well...Thor is a Viking God. "Thor" is not. He's a baby-faced, tights-wearing alien with the same name. I know...I know..."What about FEATS?!?!" Marvel "Thor" can lift about 100 tons. Thor can lift much, much more - hundreds of billions of tons. He is at least BILLIONS of times stronger.BILLIONS OF TIMES STRONGER. Proof? Thor lifted the Midgard Serpent, which encircles the The World. In order to be big enough to circle the entire world, The Midgard Serpent must mass much more than any mountain. Mt. Everest alone masses about 7,053,690,008,700 tons (that's ~7 trillion tons), which is about 70 billion times more than "Thor" could lift. Thor can lift much much more than that. And none of this "but strength isn't everything!"-nonsense. When the difference in strength is a factor of billions, then yes, that might as well be the end of the argument.

Also Thor wins because he is the original and much cooler.

TwoGunGunnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TwoGunGunnar

@She_Predator said:

<<<Real big on Norse Mythology.

Whatever Myth Thor can do, Marvel Thor can do as well.

It's the exact opposite. They had to tone down the power level from God to Powerful Magical Alien. Marvel "Thor" could not drink enough saltwater to lower the ocean level.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jeanroygrant

@ShootingNova said:

@jeanroygrant said:

What has Myth Thor done?

Tell me when Marvel Thor shatters mountains with his average strike, revives the dead, shakes the universe through indirect means, unleashes swaths of lightning capable of slaying all mortals in Midgard, and strength that can lift mountains x2 (from Megingjord, belt of strength) plus extra (from his gauntlets).

@DocFatalis said:

It's the same character written by people from two different eras. To me there is no such thing as "marvel Thor" and "myth Thor" Marvel just added stories to the myth.

There's a lot of difference. Marvel has absolutely wrong myths, too, at times. Thor's mother was Gaia/Gaea in Marvel. That's Greek in mythology. Thor's mother in Norse mythology (one of Odin's wives, yes, he had more than one) was Fjorgyn.

Marvel Thor can lift a 2x mountains too. Myth Thor is more powerful though.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Why has this been thread Necroed? Also myth Thor wins

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By ShootingNova

@jeanroygrant: It's not 2x mountains. Remember his gauntlets increase his physical strength again. That and Megingjord. So it's even greater.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jeanroygrant

@ShootingNova said:

@jeanroygrant: It's not 2x mountains. Remember his gauntlets increase his physical strength again. That and Megingjord. So it's even greater.

Oh.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rajjarsalt  Online

Could go either way per Neil Gaiman

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Mythology Thor Respect Thread, as far as it goes they are very equal

''Thor unleashes his wrath, burning the skies, battering the ground with hail, and practically splitting apart the earth. Mountains shake and rocks smash and heaven burns as a result of Thor:''

''Thor creates a star out of a toe by throwing it into the sky:''

This RT might be incomplete.

Could go either way per Neil Gaiman

I think I can agree with this, Myth Thor has some interesting feats. But I think I'm leaning towards MYTH THOR.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 rajjarsalt  Online

@namelessmonster: I would have to favor Marvel Thor since Gaiman gave him the intelligence adv, fight between equals physically/hammer wise then the smarter opponent wins

cupofreality1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By cupofreality1

Marvel, he has visual feats, statements while mythology Thor is simply words lol. No mythological god exists in real life so there goes mythological Thor’s advantage.

Marvel Thor views him as fiction.