• 62 results
#1 Posted by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor from Mythologies vs Marvel Thor. The battle takes place in and out of New York.

#2 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember the myth incarnation of him being all that immortal.
#3 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya didn't Balder get pwned but an arrow

#4 Posted by TheJuggernautpunch (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor is more powerful .

#5 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"Ya didn't Balder get pwned but an arrow "

They are a cool set of gods, but not really that OMFG compared to a lot of pantheons.

Zeus has a splitting headache and bam Athena pops out of his skull.
#6 Posted by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch said:
" Marvel Thor is more powerful . "
You might want to catch up on Norse mythology a bit.
#7 Posted by TheJuggernautpunch (6133 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs said:
" @TheJuggernautpunch said:
You might want to catch up on Norse mythology a bit. "
Marvel Thor has more impressive feats . And i've read a lot of scandinavian myths . Myth Thor is not as powerful as Marvel Thor . 
*waiting for Baldy to approve this , lol*
#8 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs said:

Make a case for him, honestly I really don't remember the norse gods being exactly durable or immortal.  
But if you have something that says otherwise go for it :D
#9 Edited by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hellos said:

" @JackAs said:

Make a case for him, honestly I really don't remember the norse gods being exactly durable or immortal.  But if you have something that says otherwise go for it :D "
 Such as nearly beating the concept of old age in a wrestling match, almost drinking an entire ocean, and putting massive craters in a mountainside. He also raced the concept of Thought. Thor was also put in a competition against the concept of fire in a food contest. 

And his biggest strength feat is Thor lifting the cat's paw, which was part of the Midgard Serpant. Said Midgard Serpant was so big, it encompasses the whole world. He nearly succeeded "wrenching it from the ocean".
#10 Posted by blacktom212 (866 posts) - - Show Bio

@JackAs said:

@Hellos said:

" @JackAs said:

Make a case for him, honestly I really don't remember the norse gods being exactly durable or immortal.  But if you have something that says otherwise go for it :D "
 Such as nearly beating the concept of old age in a wrestling match, almost drinking an entire ocean, and putting massive craters in a mountainside. He also raced the concept of Thought. Thor was also put in a competition against the concept of fire in a food contest.   And his biggest strength feat is Thor lifting the cat's paw, which was part of the Midgard Serpant. Said Midgard Serpant was so big, it encompasses the whole world. He nearly succeeded "wrenching it from the ocean". "

marvel thor has done all this things too, i think the comic name is the day the thunder fail...he tells the stoy to a bunch of kids about his adventures, in the comic he was with loki. 
#11 Posted by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to see scans because there has not been any cases where Marvel Thor can lift something that encompasses the entire world.

#12 Posted by blacktom212 (866 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs said:
"I need to see scans because there has not been any cases where Marvel Thor can lift something that encompasses the entire world. "

he fishes away the serpent in one ocassion 
i am going to search the scans
#13 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

Myth Thor ftw!

#15 Posted by Aion (275 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel thor of course.
#16 Posted by blacktom212 (866 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont know much about myth thor, because i havent reed alot about nordic myth.  
but i do think marvel thor could win this because he can do whatever myth thor can and more,  because marvel thor was created later based on the already existing myth thor. 
so marvel thor can do all the stuff myth thor can, plus his feats in his comic series.   
#17 Posted by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio

Your logic fails. And the scans don't work.

And I haven't seen Thor picking up something that surround the entire planet. Do you realize how big a planet is? For a creature that size to surround it with his own strength....is quite a feat.

#18 Posted by blacktom212 (866 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs:
well dude, sorry about the scans, and yes i realize how big is a planet, dont tell me, tell the writter of that story arc, thor fishes away the midgard serpent, who was crushing the planet, i dont remember what issue number was, but it is a fact marvel thor did that. 

if someone have read the classic issue of thor they should know that, that is one of thors greatest feats. 

you care to explain me how my logics doesnt work, because everything you have told, marvel thor did it, you should read the classic issues of thor. 
 do you have any feat, besides the one you already mention( which marvel thor did too), that prove muth thor is more powerful than marvels thor.
#19 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@blacktom212 said:
" @JackAs: well dude, sorry about the scans, and yes i realize how big is a planet, dont tell me, tell the writter of that story arc, thor fishes away the midgard serpent, who was crushing the planet, i dont remember what issue number was, but it is a fact marvel thor did that.   if someone have read the classic issue of thor they should know that, that is one of thors greatest feats.  you care to explain me how my logics doesnt work, because everything you have told, marvel thor did it, you should read the classic issues of thor.  do you have any feat, besides the one you already mention( which marvel thor did too), that prove muth thor is more powerful than marvels thor. "
   Thor #272                                      June 1978
"The Day the Thunder Failed!" is the issue you mentioned about Thor telling stories to the kid. And Thor 273 is when he fishes up the serpent. I just went looking for it and there is where it is. Now I must find a copy because that looks awesome. 
#20 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel thor wins here

#21 Posted by JackAs (412 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine said: the link doesn't work.
#22 Posted by Lupine (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs said:
" @Lupine said: the link doesn't work. "
Sorry about that. But just search the issue, you can't miss it. 

The next issue is "Somewhere Over The Rainbow Bridge". 273. That should be the serpent issue, it's on the cover with Thor trying to catch it's mouth.
#23 Posted by Baldy (5021 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJuggernautpunch said:
" @JackAs said:
Marvel Thor has more impressive feats . And i've read a lot of scandinavian myths . Myth Thor is not as powerful as Marvel Thor .  *waiting for Baldy to approve this , lol* "
You are completely correct, though it could be argued that Thor from the myths was stronger physically his power level in general was far less. Myth Thor's strength feats are also very inconsistent.
#24 Posted by blacktom212 (866 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lupine said:
" @blacktom212 said:
" @JackAs: well dude, sorry about the scans, and yes i realize how big is a planet, dont tell me, tell the writter of that story arc, thor fishes away the midgard serpent, who was crushing the planet, i dont remember what issue number was, but it is a fact marvel thor did that.   if someone have read the classic issue of thor they should know that, that is one of thors greatest feats.  you care to explain me how my logics doesnt work, because everything you have told, marvel thor did it, you should read the classic issues of thor.  do you have any feat, besides the one you already mention( which marvel thor did too), that prove muth thor is more powerful than marvels thor. "
   Thor #272                                      June 1978"The Day the Thunder Failed!" is the issue you mentioned about Thor telling stories to the kid. And Thor 273 is when he fishes up the serpent. I just went looking for it and there is where it is. Now I must find a copy because that looks awesome.  "

it is pretty awesome, one of thor  greatest feats too bad his strength are inconsistent
#25 Posted by EddieTheHead666 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with Marvel Thor
#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs said:
"  @Hellos said:

" @JackAs said:

Such as nearly beating the concept of old age in a wrestling match, almost drinking an entire ocean, and putting massive craters in a mountainside. He also raced the concept of Thought. Thor was also put in a competition against the concept of fire in a food contest.   And his biggest strength feat is Thor lifting the cat's paw, which was part of the Midgard Serpant. Said Midgard Serpant was so big, it encompasses the whole world. He nearly succeeded "wrenching it from the ocean". "
I am pretty sure in the myths he fails to lift the cats paw, he was a bit of a moron in the old myths.
#27 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5445 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor

#28 Edited by bgibs13390 (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor in fact all the feats you have said about the Myth Thor he in fact failed. He could not wrestle the old man. He failed to drink the ocean. He could not lift the cat. All those things were done to him to humble him. 

#29 Posted by Lvenger (20254 posts) - - Show Bio

Whilst looking at the debate here seems to bring about conflict as to which Thor is physically stronger Marvel Thor's Mjolnir is overall much more powerful than the myth one. It is capable of producing the God Blast, drain energy and return it tenfold and drained the forcefield of the Juggernaut. It also can emit mystical blasts of energy and is capable of electromagnetism and molecular manipulation. Marvel Thor wins here.

#30 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor wins easily, he has shattered a Planet with his Mjolnir, when Myth Thor can do that then someone tell me

#31 Posted by PowerHerc (84368 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor defeats Myth Thor.
#32 Posted by She_Predator (87 posts) - - Show Bio

<<<Real big on Norse Mythology.   

Myth Thor has a bunch of great feats that set him apart from the other gods in Norse and probably Greek/Roman myth too.  Marvel Thor has all kinds of feats as well.  The problem I see with this is that Marvel Thor is Myth Thor in a comic book.  Whatever Myth Thor can do, Marvel Thor can do as well.  So normally, they should be equal.  But.  Marvel Thor could use Odin Force and some other things that Myth Thor never had.  Also, Myth Thor was always up against other divine beings so they were on equal terms with him.  Marvel Thor gets compared to every other hero and villain out there, more than just his own people.  This has given him more feats and some people on this site are simple and say "If he has more feats then he wins."  This makes me say Marvel Thor for this battle but in actuallity, they are the same. 

#33 Posted by MzombieX (975 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is considered to be an older god than Odin throughout the Teutonic area, and is recorded as such. He even maintained a higher place in Norway. His Hammer being the equivalent of the Christian crucifix.
Yet he is later recorded as a close second throughout the rest of the area. 
Writings and events change, and at some point the roles were switched ... placing Odin as Thor's father. 

Thor then became a god worshipped by the common man, while Odin became the god of nobility. 
With blazing red hair and a halo of fire around Thor's head, the heat of his prescence was so great that he was not allowed to walk the bifrost bridge for fear of its destruction. 
He instead walked the various mystic rivers between Asgard and Midgard. 
He would sometimes be seen upon his chariot in the majestic royal garb of a god, sending a roar of thunder through the heavens ... or dressed as a simple peasant with a basket on his back. 
On one hand he performed great immeasurable feats and at other times he taught a lesson of humility in his role as a god of peasants.  

The point is, that while at one point they were viewed as omnipotent, other tales brought them into a more relatable context. 
As teachings that a human mind could wrap itself around and take a valuable lesson from. 
The Gods in all their infinite power ... sometimes showed flaws to their followers. 

As far as immortality ... even the cycle of the events of Ragnarok, in which the Gods destroy each other, may not have always been the case. 
Some look on Ragnarok as the twilight of the gods, in which the gods lose their power through degeneracy and abuse. Now replaced by a single rule. 
This theory was suited to Christian teachings and many scholars believe it was influenced by it. 
With Christianity sweeping the world, and influencing other cultures ... the idea of the Norse God's mortality may in fact have worked its way into the lore as a relatively recent inclusion. 
A way of Christianity, who viewed Odin as the Devil, ridding itself of these gods and creating the sort of end of days found in Revelations. 
This would of course leave room for only "the one true God"

With changing events in history, it could be difficult to say if comic Thor is more powerful than in Myth.  
For example, is Thor the Elder God as once viewed long ago in Norway? 

But with all that being said ... I would have to go with Marvel Thor because of the evolving modern myth. 
He has feats that have defied description and he just keeps going. 
Not only does he replicate many of the feats of the old teachings, but he goes beyond them. 
He defied the boundries set to him in Ragnarok ... and he continues to have the ability to break all the rules. 
Breaking the laws that any old text or teachings could hope to restrain him with.

#34 Posted by CrisCannibal (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I still think Mythological Thor would win.

#35 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

based on feats Marvel Thor in a beyond brutal stomp.
#36 Posted by blackadam (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel's thor has done all the feat myth thor has and more, a lot more. don't know why  pleople are saying myth thor is stronger,his best feat of strength is lifting the mifgard serpent. while marvel's thor has done this and more. he did in the day the thunder fail(which is based on amyth), the midgard serpent was disguised as a cat; on another ocassion he fishes away the mifgard serpent, he did not only lift it, but break the grip the serpent had on planet earth. in other words, thor bested the serpent in strength by using his own. also, you have to take on accoutn that mjiolnir is not limited to ligthing as his myth counterpart is, it has a lot of magic, and energy attacks.  

no disrispect to myth thor, i like him too, but marvel's thor take this.
#37 Posted by ThaMessenger07 (1779 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor!

#38 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3584 posts) - - Show Bio

Myth Thor is not as powerful because he was born from the limited imaginations of a culture that lived during the Dark Ages to more medieval times. They couldn't conceive of black holes, space/time manipulation or alternate realities, so Myth Thor was not as powerful as the modernized superhero version Marvel has.

#39 Posted by ThaMessenger07 (1779 posts) - - Show Bio
@JackAs:  ^^^^^ Please see my post above.
#40 Posted by TransgressionsofSociety (195 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel thor.

#41 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor would stomp the mythological Thor

#42 Posted by Reptilicus (682 posts) - - Show Bio

I will say this, Thor is written by a human so he character is limited to a human's mind. But in the myth, no one is writing Thor's life. He's a God; a God that isn't limited to a human's mind. But by feats, Marvel Thor.

#43 Posted by joewell (6400 posts) - - Show Bio

@JackAs said:

@Hellos said:

" @JackAs said:

Make a case for him, honestly I really don't remember the norse gods being exactly durable or immortal. But if you have something that says otherwise go for it :D "
Such as nearly beating the concept of old age in a wrestling match, almost drinking an entire ocean, and putting massive craters in a mountainside. He also raced the concept of Thought. Thor was also put in a competition against the concept of fire in a food contest. And his biggest strength feat is Thor lifting the cat's paw, which was part of the Midgard Serpant. Said Midgard Serpant was so big, it encompasses the whole world. He nearly succeeded "wrenching it from the ocean".

i just read that a little ago but didn't he have help?

#44 Posted by goodguy24 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor

#45 Posted by ShootingNova (17828 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't this done already? If this is standard Thor (not Rune King, Odinforce etc.) Mythology Thor stomps.

#46 Posted by justleader (1708 posts) - - Show Bio

Mythology Thor wins this

#47 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

Thread made me remember Loki's gay moment, not sure if that is gay because he transformed into a female horse.... *OH GOD WHY*

#48 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the same character written by people from two different eras. To me there is no such thing as "marvel Thor" and "myth Thor" Marvel just added stories to the myth.

#49 Posted by nickzambuto (13803 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

It's the same character written by people from two different eras. To me there is no such thing as "marvel Thor" and "myth Thor" Marvel just added stories to the myth.

This sounds about right.

#50 Posted by Bo88gdan (4414 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Thor