#1 Posted by WillPayton (9029 posts) - - Show Bio

JLA Team: Alan Scott, Captain Atom, Dr Fate (Kent Nelson), Fernus, Firestorm (Rusch), Hal Jordan (10 rings), Superman (1 day sun dip)

VS

Odin

Random encounter on Mars. Everyone in character, basic knowledge of others, all pre-52 for DCs. Win by KO, death, or permanent incapacitation.

Can the team take down the skyfather?

#2 Posted by PlasticBag (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they could take him down.

#3 Posted by dondave (33294 posts) - - Show Bio

this team could probably take on thanos

#4 Posted by Simon_the_digger (2817 posts) - - Show Bio

@PlasticBag said:

I think they could take him down.

#5 Posted by Hyperlight (5363 posts) - - Show Bio

The problems are fate and alan Scott. They are both powered but beings that predate the league and their power. the rest of them dont have the experience to know how to deal with odins abilities even if they did have a lot of power.

#6 Posted by WillPayton (9029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight said:

The problems are fate and alan Scott. They are both powered but beings that predate the league and their power. the rest of them dont have the experience to know how to deal with odins abilities even if they did have a lot of power.

I think everyone there (except maybe Firestorm) has plenty of experience with galaxy-busting level (or higher) beings.

#7 Posted by CampodelViolin (168 posts) - - Show Bio

JL can take this.

I mean... Fate, Alan Scott and Fernus!

#8 Posted by Hyperlight (5363 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: but he has dealt with powers greater than there many times longer than all of them put together. Any thing they can do he can do much better. ( except for Nabu sonce he is a Lord of order and the Starheart is billions of years old as well)

#9 Posted by jwalser3 (4793 posts) - - Show Bio

The league should manage.

#10 Posted by WillPayton (9029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight said:

@WillPayton: but he has dealt with powers greater than there many times longer than all of them put together. Any thing they can do he can do much better. ( except for Nabu sonce he is a Lord of order and the Starheart is billions of years old as well)

I'm not sure what your point is. No one is doubting that Odin is more experienced and powerful than any in the team individually. But, that isnt the battle. It's Odin vs the team. Besting each member of a team doesnt mean you best the team.

#11 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Oddly, for once the answer is not Odin.

League win.

#12 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll take the League. Too much for Odin at once in my opinion.

#13 Posted by HushoftheWind (769 posts) - - Show Bio

i like these nonchalant comments like "Meh, the League will be ok." WTF MAN, THE LEAGUE IS GONNA WRECK!!!

#14 Posted by Hyperlight (5363 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: most of these people he can just snap there fingers and they are gone or depowered. Fate and Scott can win though.....

#15 Posted by WillPayton (9029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight said:

@WillPayton: most of these people he can just snap there fingers and they are gone or depowered. Fate and Scott can win though.....

#16 Posted by Hyperlight (5363 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: hahahahaha I was weak what was that for?

#17 Posted by WillPayton (9029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight said:

@WillPayton: hahahahaha I was weak what was that for?

I dont think it'd be that easy to take out most of the team. Also, consider that Fate and Scott could provide magical protection and shielding. I think, at least, Odin will have to work for his kills against this team.

#18 Posted by whydama (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

Firestorm and Capt Atom will get one shotted. Dr Fate will be a prob for Odin though.

Team wins. Epic battle.

#19 Posted by Hyperlight (5363 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: prob true

#20 Posted by MonsterStomp (15131 posts) - - Show Bio

@whydama: I know Odin is strong, but this is no bloodlusted match. Captain Atom isn't getting one shotted.

#21 Posted by Biza (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterStomp said:

@whydama: I know Odin is strong, but this is no bloodlusted match. Captain Atom isn't getting one shotted.

Odin does not need strength to take out Captain Atom, or Superman. besides the fact that strength of a sky father can not be measured as there is perceived to be no limit. None of them even combined make up the power of a sky father. Given prep, assuming they work together and exploit weaknesses in Odin, the sky father still stomps them. Odin was old when they were born. There is a level that you cant surpass, this would be like saying all the gods + sky fathers and heralds with Galactus and Thanos could take on the one above all (marvel) or the creator (DC). Numbers don't mean very much when your dealing with that kind of power.

#22 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm picking the league here.

#23 Posted by BigCimmerian (7845 posts) - - Show Bio

Firestorm, Superman and Hal Jordan are non factors, Justice League have a chance I think, but I still think that Odin would win 6/10, main problem would be Fate.

#24 Posted by beatboks1 (6934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Biza said:

Odin does not need strength to take out Captain Atom, or Superman. besides the fact that strength of a sky father can not be measured as there is perceived to be no limit.

Odin won't be "taking out Captain Atom easily at all. He actually does need strength because every other power he has depends on magic which doesn't affect Atom. that's the reason Mordru tricked him into fighting Mirabai and showed him that only his mind was affected by the hex. Once he knew that it had no hold on him. Since he can draw as much energy as he wishes from the quantum field he's also Unmeasured in strength, durability etc

None of them even combined make up the power of a sky father. Given prep, assuming they work together and exploit weaknesses in Odin, the sky father still stomps them. Odin was old when they were born. There is a level that you cant surpass, this would be like saying all the gods + sky fathers and heralds with Galactus and Thanos could take on the one above all (marvel) or the creator (DC). Numbers don't mean very much when your dealing with that kind of power.

Fate (the Kent Neson one, not the Kent V) has defeated several "skyfathers" and as a Lord of Order is one himself. In his history the LOO were the god's ( ie, all the ancient god's like Osiris, Amon Ra, etc were either Lords of order or Lords of Chaos - Shazam is a LOO because his power comes from the other god's who were LOO). He has fought Spectre and fared well (better than any other). Also when he wares the Helm of Nabu he is possessed by the presence of Nabu so has all his memories. Since Nabu comes from the universe that existed before this one he is more experienced than Odin is. Also as a LOO Fate has and does call on the power of all the Lords of order. As such he wields the power of many skyfathers.

Alan with the full power of the starheart has matched Mordru (who is a Lord of Chaos, so another skyfather. and has some showings above fate). He has also fought other god's and dictates to dimensional beings like 5th dimensional imps.

Odin most certainly doesn't stomp. I'm not saying the team wins (though I do believe they can at least take 5/10) but for any win Odin get's he's going to have to work very hard.

#25 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin wins

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

The League actually has a good chance of winning here. Obviously, the heaviest hitters here a Kent and Alan, but I don't think they alone can stop Odin. That's where Atom, Hal and Superman would play a major part. Superman for one, being amped by the one day sun-dip, would now possess even greater speed than he did before and could utilize it brilliantly to constantly wear down Odin. He might not be able to do massive damage, and his weakness to magic might hinder him, but properly utilizing his speed, Odin wouldn't be able to touch him. Hal possesses a massive amount of firepower here, as does Atom and they could play their roles as mortars if you will. Keeping a distance and constantly raining down attacks to keep Odin on his knees.

#27 Posted by Killemall (18152 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: I honestly dont think speed would be a big problem for odin, given he has time manipulation and has outright stopped time before (albiet in an old issue, although we did see Thor with Odin Force do exactly that during The Reigning).

I think i can agree with most of what you are saying, although its going to be pretty hard to hurt Odin (with the assumption that in character Alan Scott is quite unlikely to totally tap into the unbound powers of the Starheart). Problem with Odin is, using decades old feats we have him destroying a planet from afar with but a wave of his hand, off late he has hardly looked as powerful.

@beatboks1: What about energy blast or transmutation, or being eternally trapped powerless in the core of earth which i think would count as permanent incapication. Odin has one shotted an amped up Annihilus who lol one shotted Thor before (i know it sounds weird, do let me know if you would like scans posted). I think Odin could simply one shot most of them here.

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: To be fair, we would be using the most recent incarnation of Odin, would we not? I never stated that the attacks from Hal, Atom or Alan would truly cause severe harm to Odin, it would pose as a significant distraction if you will and when you add on Kal, who could not only utilize speed to his advantage, but also heat vision if Odin did choose to manipulate time.

#29 Posted by Killemall (18152 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Thats where the problem lies. Would you say current Odin is weak? Coz the thing is, he hasnt outright lost a fight (apart from one against Surtur and one against The Dark Gods, which mostly took place off panel). And his character, well hasnt been retconned. While i think fighting and headbutting Galactus, giving him some major pain while normally fed is a good feat, that honestly seemed like more of a PIS so not pushing far with that one.

Superman i cant disagree, specially seeing what he did after half an hour sundip during Our World At War against Imperix, the rest are going to have their hands full. The only fate i have read is Hectar Hall, and if Kent Nelson is just as powerful or perhaps even more powerful, he might actually do fairly well against Odin on his own. I do not think Odin will win this, but i honestly think he can one shot most of them.

#30 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: No, I don't think current Odin is weak at all or de-powered in that sense, I just think that he's not as likely to utilize abilities such as time manipulation as he would've with previous incarnations. Like you said, most of his feats have been either kind of ridiculous or completely off panel. As for sun-dipped Superman, I can't imagine how much his powers would improve after a single day of soaking in solar energy, especially after what he did with only several panels in Our Worlds at War as you mentioned.

#31 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4181 posts) - - Show Bio

cool thread. would like to see stated JL team in an Elseworlds type story.

#32 Posted by WillPayton (9029 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone said Odin can use time manipulation. Dont Fate and Alan also have the ability to do time manipulation? I remember a scan of regular Alan Scott (non bloodlusted) doing this.