Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lunacyde said:
"Korg I was unaware that we were talking about a particular time in Mordor's history, but yea I think I've already proven Rome has no chance."
Hey, I'm only countinueing because you asked for it. That's why I went all out with this stuff. I do believe that Rome could take Mordor, but I agree it will be very hard to beat them. As for Mordor slaughtering them, now that's still hard for me to believe. So, yea the only reason I kept going is because you asked for it by saying we should keep this going cause this is an interesting thread,  lol.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By AtPhantom
Akwa said:
"And don't even get me started on what would happen if Sauron himself took to the field. (Old Sauron, back when he still had a corporal body.)"
Sauron always had a corporeal body. The giant flaming eye was created for the movie. In the books, the Eye of Sauron is a metaphor for his omniscience, attention and force of will.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#103  Edited By Korg

Where are people getting the idea that you can torture information out of an orc? Not gonna happen, friend. I'm noticing a trend between people who think Rome stands a snowflakes chance in hell, and people who have never read LotR.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Vrakmul

Roman cavalry is not as deadly as mordor cavalry simply because Roman mounts don't bite and claw you to ribbons as well as trample you.

Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Braise
Dreadnaught said:
"Roman cavalry is not as deadly as mordor cavalry simply because Roman mounts don't bite and claw you to ribbons as well as trample you.
"
That didn't stop the riders of Rohan from helping turn the tide of many battles. And they're relatively similar to the Roman cavalry.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Vrakmul
Braise said:
"Dreadnaught said:
"Roman cavalry is not as deadly as mordor cavalry simply because Roman mounts don't bite and claw you to ribbons as well as trample you.
"
That didn't stop the riders of Rohan from helping turn the tide of many battles. And they're relatively similar to the Roman cavalry."
Can horses bite you?  Can horses claw you?  Can horses track you for miles with their scent?  Do horses eat your flesh!?!?!?!?!?!!?
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By AtPhantom
Braise said:
"Dreadnaught said:
"
That didn't stop the riders of Rohan from helping turn the tide of many battles. And they're relatively similar to the Roman cavalry."
Rohan would be more akin to the Mongols or the Huns, they're practically born on horseback.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Korg
Braise said:
"That didn't stop the riders of Rohan from helping turn the tide of many battles. And they're relatively similar to the Roman cavalry."
Actually, it kind of did. They got totally wiped out at the Battle of Pelennor Fields. The wargs also gave them a lot of trouble at Edoras. There's also the fact that they were used to the idea of fighting such things. The Romans would not know how to deal with wargs or a mûmakil bearing down on them. 
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

The Riders of Rohan are the greatest Cavalry in all of Middle Earth and once again are superior to Roman cavalry. Rohirrim are born and bred to be the greatest horsemen there is. It's the emphasis of thier culture.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Korg
Lunacyde said:
"The Riders of Rohan are the greatest Cavalry in all of Middle Earth and once again are superior to Roman cavalry. "
This is also very true.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Lunacyde said:
"The Riders of Rohan are the greatest Cavalry in all of Middle Earth and once again are superior to Roman cavalry. Rohirrim are born and bred to be the greatest horsemen there is. It's the emphasis of thier culture."

Acheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Acheron

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here cause I've only seen the LoTR movies and read one and a half of the books, but doesn't Mordor have.....trolls....and Balrogs.....and giant elephants and stuff?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Vrakmul
Acheron said:
"Now, correct me if I'm wrong here cause I've only seen the LoTR movies and read one and a half of the books, but doesn't Mordor have.....trolls....and Balrogs.....and giant elephants and stuff?
"
Only Morgoth had an army of Balrogs, ever.
Acheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Acheron
Dreadnaught said:
"Acheron said:
"Now, correct me if I'm wrong here cause I've only seen the LoTR movies and read one and a half of the books, but doesn't Mordor have.....trolls....and Balrogs.....and giant elephants and stuff?
"
"
How about dragons?
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

No...no dragons

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Vrakmul

Again only Sauron's original master Morgoth ever had an army of Dragons and fallen Maiar *such as Balrogs and Sauron*

Acheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Acheron
Dreadnaught said:
"Again only Sauron's original master Morgoth ever had an army of Dragons and fallen Maiar *such as Balrogs and Sauron*
"
Alright....well.....I'll say Mordor anyways cause they have Sauron :l
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By AtPhantom
Acheron said:
"Dreadnaught said:
"Acheron said:
"
"
How about dragons?
"
He had flying wyrms which the Nazgul rode. They are kinda like the Dragons smaller cousins. No actual dragons, and just as well, a single great dragon could wipe out a roman army.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Sauron alone would tear into the Romans lol

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Korg

The sheer terror that he and the Ring Wraiths would induce would ruin their formations as well.

Avatar image for secret_turchin_man
Secret Turchin Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lunacyde said:
"The Riders of Rohan are the greatest Cavalry in all of Middle Earth and once again are superior to Roman cavalry. Rohirrim are born and bred to be the greatest horsemen there is. It's the emphasis of thier culture."

True...Also the Romans as they stand have no shot. They would need for the heroes of their mythology to exist.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Correct

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Korg

New battle? Roman Pantheon vs. The Valar 

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AtPhantom
Korg said:
"New battle? Roman Pantheon vs. The Valar "
Make it so!
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Silmarillion was a pain to read for me.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Korg
AtPhantom said:
"Make it so!"
Honestly, I doubt enough people know enough about the Valar and the Roman pantheon to make a thread of it. It was a joke.

Lunacyde said:
"Silmarillion was a pain to read for me."
When was the last time you read it?
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Vrakmul

Plus Mordor itself is unassailable, the terrain would stop any attack dead in it's tracks due to all the forts dotting it, and Barad-dur itself is indestructible if Sauron himself is not defeated.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By AtPhantom
Lunacyde said:
"Silmarillion was a pain to read for me."
It was, it didn't have the atmosphere of the Lord. It felt more like a documentary, rather than a story. It was still awesome.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Korg

Does it matter? The Romans would never make it to the Black Gates (or Cirith Ungol).

If you guys think the Silmarillion is a tough read, try the Histories of Middle Earth. All 10 volumes.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

I read it about 3 years ago...I was prolly sixteen. I plan on re-reading it later on when I get a chance, but as opposed tot he Hobbit, and the three LOTR books I found it to be an especially dry and long-winded read.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Korg
Lunacyde said:
"I read it about 3 years ago...I was prolly sixteen. I plan on re-reading it later on when I get a chance, but as opposed tot he Hobbit, and the three LOTR books I found it to be an especially dry and long-winded read."
Well, it wasn't put together by J.R.R. Tolkien, so you can't expect it to match up, really. I think you'll get a lot more out of it the second time you read it. I read it through 2 times the first time I read it, but I realize I'm in the extreme minority there.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Vrakmul

Sauron himself is far deadlier than anything the Romans can throw at him.  Sauron won't be sticking out his hand to chop off this time.  He'll be knocking everyone away with his mace even though it didn't hit the vast majority of them.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By AtPhantom

Did anyone read children of Hurin? I never got the chance to do it yet...

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Haha yea i know what ya mean.

To me it seemed a lot like those chapters in the bible where they go through a thousand years of geneology like " So-and-so was begat to blah blah".....No disrespect meant toward the bible.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Vrakmul

The Roman empire at it's peak had at best two hundred million.  Most likely only a hundred million or less.  Only a fourth of those people would be male adults, and only 4/5ths of those would be of fighting age.  Now if rome really got desperate it could call in the children which brings up a grand total of 25-50 million, but Rome simply cannot provide the weapons for all those men.   It does have better industrial capabillity than Persia which fields million man armies whenever it get's pissed off.  So I'd say it could arm and equip 10-15 million. 

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Korg

I'm also intrigued about how Sauron managed to rip into this reality. Surely that power has to be an advantage as well. Imagine if he could use Doors.

Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

Korg said:
"New battle? Roman Pantheon vs. The Valar "

Hmm...Honestly I think Jupiter and Neptune (and so people don't get confused i'm gunna refer to them as Zeus and Poseidon from here on out) with all their power, and also with their weapons and Demigod children can definately win this. Though this might be most interesting if we use the Percy Jackson version of the Olympians.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Vrakmul

Mordor has vast industrial capability capable of rivaling a modern day great power.  Probably because they have dozens of active volcanoes to use as a forge.   They can equip, feed, and supply an army of Tens of billions or maybe even hundreds of billions.  For every man Rome has, Mordor has a hundred thousand.  And Orcs are born knowing how to fight and grow up really really fast.  So they can replenish their casaulties easily.  Plus Orcs can subsist on much less food and water of much lower quality than humans can.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By AtPhantom
Dreadnaught said:
"The Roman empire at it's peak had at best two hundred million.  Most likely only a hundred million or less.  Only a fourth of those people would be male adults, and only 4/5ths of those would be of fighting age.  Now if rome really got desperate it could call in the children which brings up a grand total of 25-50 million, but Rome simply cannot provide the weapons for all those men.   It does have better industrial capabillity than Persia which fields million man armies whenever it get's pissed off.  So I'd say it could arm and equip 10-15 million. 
"
I believe it was calculated at 88 mil.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Vrakmul
Korg said:
"I'm also intrigued about how Sauron managed to rip into this reality. Surely that power has to be an advantage as well. Imagine if he could use Doors."
He and the Nazgul opened a time travel gate, but they can only manage to go forwards in time as it would take Morgoth before using his power himself to attempt to go back in time. *backwards in time is much, much harder than forwards, think of going backwards in time like going against a 295,000 kilometer per second current, doable but almost impossible*
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Korg

Well if that's the case, why take Rome on at its peak? Do they have no control of where/when they come out?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Vrakmul
AtPhantom said:
"Dreadnaught said:
"The Roman empire at it's peak had at best two hundred million.  Most likely only a hundred million or less.  Only a fourth of those people would be male adults, and only 4/5ths of those would be of fighting age.  Now if rome really got desperate it could call in the children which brings up a grand total of 25-50 million, but Rome simply cannot provide the weapons for all those men.   It does have better industrial capabillity than Persia which fields million man armies whenever it get's pissed off.  So I'd say it could arm and equip 10-15 million. 
"
I believe it was calculated at 88 mil.
"
Rome can make lots of javelins easily, but I don't think any barely trained and paid roman conscript would want to get within Javelin range of a blood thirsty Orc.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Vrakmul

To make it Fair let's say Persia, The Goths, and China panic and help Rome does that help them at all?

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Korg

No, it will just prolong the carnage.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Vrakmul

China's great wall would probably go tumbling down.

Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Braise
I had posted this an hour ago, and for some reason, it didn't post. My internet failed a couple of minutes afterward, but I copied it just in case. Here ya go:
Dreadnaught said:
"Braise said:
"Dreadnaught said:
"
Can horses bite you?  Can horses claw you?  Can horses track you for miles with their scent?  Do horses eat your flesh!?!?!?!?!?!!?
"
Indeed. Though the outcome of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields seems to contradict what you're implying. The armies of Rohan and Gondor were vastly overwhelmed (appears as though Rohan had 6,000 vs 30,000 Easterlings as well as the combined forces of Mordor, Harad, Rhun, and Khand, oliphaunts, wargs, etc which may have numbered over 200,000), and though those in Minas Tirith had cover, those in the fields of Pelenor and Gondor had not, meaning Rohan fought out in the field against thousands of these nigh-indestructable Orcs and thrashing mounts. Though Rohan was on the losing side towards he end of the battle and did necesstate reinforcements, Rohan dealt a mighty blow to the Mordor troops nonetheless, weakening the opposition considerably. Roman has fielded more than just 6,000 horsemen in battle, such as the 17,000-33,000 (on each side) in the Battle of Philippi, with about 100,000 footsoldiers on each side as well. The battle of Cannae, taking place in 216 BC (well before Rome's peak), fielded 86,000 troops on Romes side. Under Julius Caesar in the Battle of Alesia, Rome had a force of some 30,000-60,000 footsoldiers, while the Gauls numbered high in the 300,000 (80,000 inside a well defended fort and a 250,000 standing army), and yet through Julius' ingenuity, pulled a victory that handed him only 12,000 deaths on his side, while dealing some 45-250,000 to the enemy.

But how many fell beasts does Mordor have? And Wargs can be killed just as easily as horses; with arrows. Mordor wins thanks to magic, but not easily.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Vrakmul
Braise said:
"I had posted this an hour ago, and for some reason, it didn't post. My internet failed a couple of minutes afterward, but I copied it just in case. Here ya go:
Dreadnaught said:
"Braise said:
"Dreadnaught said:
"
"
Indeed. Though the outcome of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields seems to contradict what you're implying. The armies of Rohan and Gondor were vastly overwhelmed (appears as though Rohan had 6,000 vs 30,000 Easterlings as well as the combined forces of Mordor, Harad, Rhun, and Khand, oliphaunts, wargs, etc which may have numbered over 200,000), and though those in Minas Tirith had cover, those in the fields of Pelenor and Gondor had not, meaning Rohan fought out in the field against thousands of these nigh-indestructable Orcs and thrashing mounts. Though Rohan was on the losing side towards he end of the battle and did necesstate reinforcements, Rohan dealt a mighty blow to the Mordor troops nonetheless, weakening the opposition considerably. Roman has fielded more than just 6,000 horsemen in battle, such as the 17,000-33,000 (on each side) in the Battle of Philippi, with about 100,000 footsoldiers on each side as well. The battle of Cannae, taking place in 216 BC (well before Rome's peak), fielded 86,000 troops on Romes side. Under Julius Caesar in the Battle of Alesia, Rome had a force of some 30,000-60,000 footsoldiers, while the Gauls numbered high in the 300,000 (80,000 inside a well defended fort and a 250,000 standing army), and yet through Julius' ingenuity, pulled a victory that handed him only 12,000 deaths on his side, while dealing some 45-250,000 to the enemy.

But how many fell beasts does Mordor have? And Wargs can be killed just as easily as horses; with arrows. Mordor wins thanks to magic, but not easily."
Rohirrim horsemen would crush rome's cavalry corps like a Tornado against a toothpick bridge.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Korg

Rome would also eventually be engulfed in an inferno, most likely.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Vrakmul

Mordor has as many fel beasts as Sauron wants it to have. 

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Korg

You know what? Forget the battle. Sauron bends mankind to his will, and they join his armies.