MOD Ruling Thread in Battle

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know I'm no Comic Expert or have been in any debates but I like reading the arguments by most of the people here. One thing I notice is that most subjects are being overplayed and obvious PIS scans are being presented as evidence (most out of context) in debates either to low ball a character or to over hype one.

Such examples would be the following:

• Spiderman VS Fire Lord
  • Batman Bat Kicking Specter
  • Deathstroke taking the JL down, etc.

It would be great if some of this examples or others could be dealt with in black and white. Also, MODs can make a ruling for example on topics like:

• Is Batman a bullet timer or aim dodger?
  • Storm's actual power ranking.

By doing so, I think the debates would go smoother as proven PIS/WIS/CIS would easily be identified.

Speedster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Speedster101

@overlordarthas: nice idea I like this (I'm no MOD but ya) I think this is good.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OverLordArthas
Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Comicdude360

@overlordarthas: there's seriously like 5 of these a day. It's a great idea but the chances of this working is slim.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarthas: there's seriously like 5 of these a day. It's a great idea but the chances of this working is slim.

Well I'm not saying a mod can decide in all bias that this character is this and that, it should be deliberated by the community so expert users can also put their inputs.

RandomSid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah no, Mods, at least on all other sites I've been on are simply users that volunteered for the job of moderating the forum. They are not clearly experts on any comic and there is no reason their opinion on a battle should be above a person that has read the comics for decades.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'm no Comic Expert or have been in any debates but I like reading the arguments by most of the people here. One thing I notice is that most subjects are being overplayed and obvious PIS scans are being presented as evidence (most out of context) in debates either to low ball a character or to over hype one.

Such examples would be the following:

• Spiderman VS Fire Lord
  • Batman Bat Kicking Specter
  • Deathstroke taking the JL down, etc.

It would be great if some of this examples or others could be dealt with in black and white. Also, MODs can make a ruling for example on topics like:

• Is Batman a bullet timer or aim dodger?
  • Storm's actual power ranking.

By doing so, I think the debates would go smoother as proven PIS/WIS/CIS would easily be identified.

The mods already addressed PIS/WIS/CIS in the Battle Forum Rules 2.0.

PIS and CIS

These are terms commonly used on battle forums on other sites and most of us know what they mean. For those who don’t, PIS is “plot induced stupidity” and CIS is “character induced stupidity”. PIS/”jobbing” is when a character loses for the sake of plot despite the fact that they should be able to win. CIS is when a character loses because an aspect of the character (usually a lack of intelligence) gets in his own way. Superman losing to Batman would be PIS is most cases since Superman is perfectly capable of beating Batman in a number of ways before he can react. Sandman losing to Spider-Man is CIS because Sandman isn’t all that smart so Spider-Man, who is less powerful and should be easy to beat, can outsmart him and find victory.

Determining what is done for the plot and what is done because of the characters involved can be hard for some people. Superman is a prime case. In comics, Superman rarely uses his speed offensively. This is done for plot, to prolong the story and make it interesting (though it can also be said that it's a part of his character and not done solely because it benefits the story). In comics, Superman doesn’t kill. He does not spare his enemies because of the plot, he spares them because it’s part of his character not to kill thanks to how he was raised. In battles on the forum we include CIS, but not PIS, so Superman uses his speed but generally doesn’t kill unless otherwise stated. (“Bloodlust”)

This kind of gets into “bad writing”. It’s a term that gets thrown around a lot but one I don’t think always applies. Not every fight where the more powerful/capable character loses is bad writing. Situations can determine the winner just as much as the characters themselves so those should be taken into account before judging if a win “should” have happened or not.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh:

That is just the general term for CIS/PIS/WIS.

What I'm suggesting is the more specific type, go down to the actual feat or character in question.

EX: Some people said that Mephisto stalemating Galactus is PIS because he got himself beaten in his own realm by someone weaker or How durable really is Thor, if he has taken hits from Galactus or somebody higher, why is he hurt by Surfer, Juggernaut, etc.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah no, Mods, at least on all other sites I've been on are simply users that volunteered for the job of moderating the forum. They are not clearly experts on any comic and there is no reason their opinion on a battle should be above a person that has read the comics for decades.

IIRC, Battle Forum MODS must be knowledgeable in comic books as well as respected member of the community or am I wrong?