• 76 results
Nessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Nessy

MMA fighters obviously win this. Anyone who thinks about this logically for 10 seconds will come to this conclusion.

MMA are fighters. That is what they do. Shaolin Monks are not all about fighting (a few may be able about it to a lesser extent). Same goes for SF

MMA are in the big pool. They compete with everyone in the world. Some have ridiculously large monetary investments to make them as good as they can be.

Monks are in the small pool, they compete mostly with each other at whatever they do. Would you really expect a town of 500 players with no outside influence to be able to create the greatest of any sport, when the rest of the world has a much larger player pool?

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Jezer

@WillPayton said:

@Jezer said:

@WillPayton said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Shaolin Monk owns MMA fighter while Special Forces watches then shoots Monk.

Unless this is H2H, than in that case Shaolin Monk owns all.

I still dont understand this reverence for Shaolin monks, when their fighting style isnt even a blip on the MMA scene. At least with Karate you have people like Machida who've represented it well. Other styles like wrestling, jiu-jitsu, kick boxing, and muay thai all also have parts in MMA. I'd imagine that anyone who show's up at an MMA tournament doing Shaolin kung fu would get killed easily.

This is fallacious reasoning, implying that a fighting style must be represented on MMA in order for it to be good.

If Shaolin Monks are training in whatever isolated place away from society (I dont know if thats true), would you really expect them to be on the MMA scene? If your last sentence is supposed to be the conclusion based on what you said previously, then that's a unsound conclusion.

Not to mention the fact you've already replied to a post showing a Shaolin Monk showcasing his fighting in the kickbox scene and winning relatively easily. Kickboxing isn't comparable to MMA, but my point is that their striking seems to be up to par and alot of MMA fighters like to do pure striking in their fights.

I agreed that the video was good, but one video between an unknown shaolin guy and an equally unknown kickboxing guy isnt compelling evidence that shaolin is generally better than mma.

There's been plenty of different fighting styles that have made their way to MMA. Why not Shaolin, especially if it's as good as suggested? But even if you're right that it's too secluded, then what's the evidence that it'd beat MMA? You cant have it both ways. Either it's too isolated, in which case you cant say it's better than MMA because there's not enough evidence. Or there IS evidence, but you've only provided one video of a fight against a no-name kickboxer.

That's all good, but what you're saying in this post is not what you said in the post I just replied to. You're addressing these arguments at me; I have no stake in this debate or opinion of who would win. I was simply addressing the fallacious things you said in your past post.

Plus, I think the original point of whoever posting that vid was to show that Shaolin has at least on one occassion competed in an official fight, contrary to someone's expressed belief that we have no clue what they can do, and won.

Either way, I think the general theme I've noticed is that people think the Shaolin's can win in hand to hand because they train harder, longer, and more extensively. There fight philosophy alludes to them being deadlier. I don't think you need someone to actually step in an MMA ring to make a logical guess about what they could do. That's why people are saying they win in hand to hand.

There's a difference between saying they're too isolated to have reached MMA AND saying that they're too isolated for us to know what they're capable(which is incorrect).

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By terry2012

@JediXMan: This

@King Saturn: This

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Dextersinister

I just googled this and the monks train more towards on how the form looks than actual fighting prowess as most of them join travelling troupes.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By willpayton

@Jezer said:

@WillPayton said:

@Jezer said:

@WillPayton said:

I still dont understand this reverence for Shaolin monks, when their fighting style isnt even a blip on the MMA scene. At least with Karate you have people like Machida who've represented it well. Other styles like wrestling, jiu-jitsu, kick boxing, and muay thai all also have parts in MMA. I'd imagine that anyone who show's up at an MMA tournament doing Shaolin kung fu would get killed easily.

This is fallacious reasoning, implying that a fighting style must be represented on MMA in order for it to be good.

If Shaolin Monks are training in whatever isolated place away from society (I dont know if thats true), would you really expect them to be on the MMA scene? If your last sentence is supposed to be the conclusion based on what you said previously, then that's a unsound conclusion.

Not to mention the fact you've already replied to a post showing a Shaolin Monk showcasing his fighting in the kickbox scene and winning relatively easily. Kickboxing isn't comparable to MMA, but my point is that their striking seems to be up to par and alot of MMA fighters like to do pure striking in their fights.

I agreed that the video was good, but one video between an unknown shaolin guy and an equally unknown kickboxing guy isnt compelling evidence that shaolin is generally better than mma.

There's been plenty of different fighting styles that have made their way to MMA. Why not Shaolin, especially if it's as good as suggested? But even if you're right that it's too secluded, then what's the evidence that it'd beat MMA? You cant have it both ways. Either it's too isolated, in which case you cant say it's better than MMA because there's not enough evidence. Or there IS evidence, but you've only provided one video of a fight against a no-name kickboxer.

That's all good, but what you're saying in this post is not what you said in the post I just replied to. You're addressing these arguments at me; I have no stake in this debate or opinion of who would win. I was simply addressing the fallacious things you said in your past post.

Plus, I think the original point of whoever posting that vid was to show that Shaolin has at least on one occassion competed in an official fight, contrary to someone's expressed belief that we have no clue what they can do, and won.

Either way, I think the general theme I've noticed is that people think the Shaolin's can win in hand to hand because they train harder, longer, and more extensively. There fight philosophy alludes to them being deadlier. I don't think you need someone to actually step in an MMA ring to make a logical guess about what they could do. That's why people are saying they win in hand to hand.

There's a difference between saying they're too isolated to have reached MMA AND saying that they're too isolated for us to know what they're capable(which is incorrect).

I'll agree that a fighting style doesnt have to be represented in an MMA competition like UFC to be good. I didnt bring it up to imply that, only suggesting that since it's the mostly widely known and popular style-independent fighting competition, it's logical to think that a style that's good would show up there.

In any case, it's also fallacious to say that Shaolin's train harder, longer, and more extensively than top mma fighters. From what I've seen many successful mma fighters have been training in some sort of style since they were young, and train in many different techniques from boxing to wrestling, not to mention the physical conditioning.

Regardless, the only evidence so far I've seen that a Shaolin fighter can beat an MMA fighter is a single video with two unknowns. And, since that's the whole point of this thread and based on the showings of MMA fighters, I still go with them to win.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By willpayton

@Nessy said:

MMA fighters obviously win this. Anyone who thinks about this logically for 10 seconds will come to this conclusion.

MMA are fighters. That is what they do. Shaolin Monks are not all about fighting (a few may be able about it to a lesser extent). Same goes for SF

MMA are in the big pool. They compete with everyone in the world. Some have ridiculously large monetary investments to make them as good as they can be.

Monks are in the small pool, they compete mostly with each other at whatever they do. Would you really expect a town of 500 players with no outside influence to be able to create the greatest of any sport, when the rest of the world has a much larger player pool?

Pretty much this.

It's funny that the only evidence for Shaolin's beating anyone is a video of a fight which isnt even against an MMA fighter. It's a kick-boxing fight. The first thing a competent MMA fighter will do is take that dude to the ground.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WillPayton: Is the video of Yi Long? I can't play any of them on my phone.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By willpayton

@The Man of Yesteryear said:

The video of the kickboxing fight? Sorry, it doesnt say who either person is.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WillPayton said:

is the title Shaolin Monk vs Navy SEAL or something like that. if so it's yi long, he got koed in another fight by a kickboxer so the video wouldn't really prove either style is better.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Hand to hand, in general, MMA all the way. They train under the most effective disciplines in striking, submissions, take down, take down defense etc. etc. etc.

As always though, it really depends on the fighter. I'm sure there exist certain Shaolin Monks walking the earth who could hand it to their fare share of MMA fighters.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jezer

@WillPayton said:

@Jezer said:

@WillPayton said:

@Jezer said:

@WillPayton said:

I'll agree that a fighting style doesnt have to be represented in an MMA competition like UFC to be good. I didnt bring it up to imply that, only suggesting that since it's the mostly widely known and popular style-independent fighting competition, it's logical to think that a style that's good would show up there.

In any case, it's also fallacious to say that Shaolin's train harder, longer, and more extensively than top mma fighters. From what I've seen many successful mma fighters have been training in some sort of style since they were young, and train in many different techniques from boxing to wrestling, not to mention the physical conditioning.

Regardless, the only evidence so far I've seen that a Shaolin fighter can beat an MMA fighter is a single video with two unknowns. And, since that's the whole point of this thread and based on the showings of MMA fighters, I still go with them to win.

It's only logical to think that way without there being complicating factors such as the seclusion of that fighting style from the rest of the world.

I don't think the "general theme" - meaning I'm quoting the general consensus of previous posts in this thread - said that they train harder, longer, or more extensively than top mma fighters, specifically. I haven't read the OP in a while, but I don't believe it says "Top Shaolin Monks vs Top MMA Fighters". It's more likely that the idea is that they train harder, longer, and more extensively than MMA fighters in general. This is a valid conclusion since MMA fighters come from all different backgrounds of experience and styles, while popular belief is that Shaolin Monks train uniformly to the same degree. So you can have an MMA fighter who started at 16 or 12 or 10, but you're far less likely to have a Shaolin Monk who didn't start at the general age of all Shaolin Monks who have a more unifrom background of experience. If the Shaolin Monks really do start at lets just say 5, then they have been training longer than MMA fighters who's starting age varies dramatically. If Shaolin Monks really do train every part of their body to be a weapon, and condition every part of their body including their nuts(as seen in the video posted earlier), then they are training more extensively than even top MMA fighters who are training a more limited range of body parts to use as weeapons. If they have been conditioning since a young age, then the same thing applies no matter how enthusiastic an MMA fighter might condition themselves after starting at a later age than them. Regardless, even supposing these common assumptions are wrong, it means that it's incorrect not fallacious(fallacious referring to the logic in the argument not the truth of the premises).

Showings only works as an argument if one has better showings than the other. Not if one has showings, and you don't know the showings of the other(thus making it an argument from ignorance), then you can't draw any conclusions from the showings. If Superman has great physical strength feats, and Galactus has none at all, that doesn't mean that Superman is physically stronger than Galactus. It means no one knows.

In the end: I'd give it to a general MMA fighter if they are wellrounded enough. If the MMA fighter is one of the many who love striking and proving they can throw hands, I'd give it to the Shaolin Monk. If they decide to switch to wrestling and such midway through possibly losing a striking match, I'd give it to the MMA fighter. But then again, you have to consider that there are no rules and if Shaolin use every part and attack any part, they are still deadly from the ground while being outwrestled. Can the MMA fighter break habit and start using all the MMA-outlawed strikes in the heat of the moment?

.....In the end: I still can't decide who would win between the average MMA fighter and the average Shaolin monk.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By willpayton

@WillPayton said:

is the title Shaolin Monk vs Navy SEAL or something like that. if so it's yi long, he got koed in another fight by a kickboxer so the video wouldn't really prove either style is better.

Yeah that's the one.

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Hand to hand, in general, MMA all the way. They train under the most effective disciplines in striking, submissions, take down, take down defense etc. etc. etc.

As always though, it really depends on the fighter. I'm sure there exist certain Shaolin Monks walking the earth who could hand it to their fare share of MMA fighters.

I have no doubt there are top Shaolin fighters. But as someone pointed out, MMA draws from a larger pool of people with a lot of incentive to perform. Whenever that happens you get great results (think Soviet olympic results) and a lot of top talent.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@Mikepool said:

H2H: MMA < Spec Ops < Monks Armed: Monks < MMA < Spec Ops

Armed with what? Give them traditional melee weapons and the Monks should beat the MMA fighters soundly.

Reptilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Reptilicus

Because of Special Forces and guns, it comes down to the Monks and MMA fighters.

Unfortunately, only a handful of Monks in modern day have displayed crazy conditioning and skillful fighting like they did centuries ago. Therefore, the MMA fighters would likely win.

FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By FourthDeity

@JediXMan said:

Unarmed: Shaolin Monks. They're trained from an early age. They really don't do much more than train, meditate, and eat right. Armed: Special Forces for obvious reasons.
WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Special Forces every single time. Both rounds.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67  Edited By Mrnoital

h2h: Shaolin>MMA>Spec ops

Weapons: Spec ops>Shaolin>MMA

mma doesn't have any weapons and spec ops have guns while shoalin has sweet blades

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

h2h: While MMA train to fight, soldiers train to kill. The h2h an Operator learns is simple, sure, but it is designed the methodology of using the most simple, brutal, and effective way to incapacitate an enemy in as little time as possible. Most Operators are trained in various martial arts as part of the various combatives programs the military has. Still, Operators revolve mostly around their tools, be they ranged or melee. Tools win fights quicker, plain and simple. So I'd give a slight nod, overall, to MMA fighters here, with Operators a close second.

Weapons: Assuming melee, because guns make it no fun, Operators win due to the above reasons.

Monks are trained overall to maintain form, it isn't as combative as one would think. I've met some in person at various marital arts conventions, and it's more about form and technique rather than how effective a particular ability is in a fight. This isn't to say they are ineffective, not at all, just not quite the same as two walks of life that literally train to fight.

sync1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMA stomps

OkRaider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The OP seems to be implying H2H, or else a weight class ("middleweight") is irrelevant. In that case, the MMA fighters should win handily. Assuming every combatant is a master at their specific discipline/style, the MMA fighters are better trained to actually fight a prolonged 1 on 1 fight. Special Forces, though trained in H2H, are not trained to fight in sustained unarmed H2H contests, but rather to go for the kill as quickly and as soon as possible. Kung Fu practitioners have not fared well in MMA leagues around the world - leaving some "experts" in MMA to outright scoff at traditional martial arts styles. While Shaolin Monks can pull off some impressive feats in human endurance, champion MMA fighters take a multi-style approach to H2H combat that combines the most effective techniques from several different disciplines. The hybrid-style fighters should win here.

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With white weapons and in H2H Shaolin monks stomp.

with fire weapons special forces stomp.

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMA fighters are a joke, they dont even do right the kicks, the punches, hits with elbow, etc. and yes i sounds like a dick but i am trained in separated martial arts and combat disciplines, and i can tell you MMA fighters are just like every athlete people with a little knowledge of fighting, thats it. in the MMA they teach you chile mole y pozole, a little bit of everything but just a little. one guy that is a very good kickboxer was able to outmatch the national champion of MMA in Box , Kickboxing, and Muay Thai even when he was abput to debut.

The EF training in H2H combat it's lke the MMA training but more advanced and they fuck up everyone in fire weapons training.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMA are good but they are not trained to kill there a lot of number of moves that was banned in mma.

I say its between the monks or Special Forces

but both tend to use weapons for monk a pole for SP a knife it melee

Monk also trained in martial arts

While SP trained in takedowns and chokes while MMA have better takedowns SP tend to gouge eyes smash eardrums and such in a melee situation also SP study the human body knowing its weak points for a faster kills

TraGiC_JoHNSoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMA fighter wins pretty easy if unarmed.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sf>monks>mma

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3