#1 Posted by Milamor (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think Magneto's crazy strong mind have the ability to lift the hammer that only the worthy can? 

I realize that you have to be proven worthy to lift or wield Mjolnir but it does have a weight and weight, no matter how much, must be able to be lifted by something...just wondering lol
#2 Posted by ndm5 (474 posts) - - Show Bio

no, odin's enchantment>magneto's mind
#3 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a magic enchantment. It's "weight" doesn't apply. If you are worthy you can lift it... if not nope.

#4 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio
And magneto's magnetism isn't directly related to his mind in the way that it would be for Jean grey, nor to his will like a green lantern.
#5 Posted by Fragneto (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto's power can lift the hammer, but his hand can not.

#6 Edited by alcoholbob (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnet's power should be able to move the hammer since he would be emulating a naturally occurring, fundamental energy type--electromagnetism. It would be no different than gravity pulling the hammer toward the Earth.

The magic seems to deal with people wielding the hammer--really the will power of using the hammer, not whether or not the hammer is effected by natural forces (otherwise it would just float in the air).

#7 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I recall Magneto can not effect Mjolnir because of its non magnetic/magical properties.

#8 Posted by jaywray (631 posts) - - Show Bio

If it was just sitting on something that was metal, It is plausible to say he could lift it with the metal underneath, that's emulation something inanimate lifting it I guess...

#9 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto has moved Mjolnir with his powers before. However, I think Thor was holding it at the time, which does change things. 

As far as "weight" goes, even Drax the Destroyer with the Power Gem wasn't capable of lifting Mjolnir, which says something about the power of its enchantment. I don't think I've ever seen a non-worthy character brute force the thing off the ground before.

#10 Posted by TheMightyAvenger (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Mags has already changed the course of Mjolnir before, but outright lift it from the ground, I don't think he can.

#11 Posted by alcoholbob (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

The hammer might not even weigh that much, who knows? Seems to me like a repulsion spell, not necessarily indicative of it's weight. I mean it sits on the ground just fine.

#12 Posted by ndm5 (474 posts) - - Show Bio
@alcoholbob
i know, if it was sooo heavy then wouldn't it turn the world of balance? or at least dent cement when it lays on it? 

comics generally don't use common sense lol
#13 Posted by tron_bonne (2286 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not about it's weight of reason it can not be lifted, it is because the will of the hammer through the powers of Odin refuses to be lifted. Mangeto has already proved that he can magnetically wield the hammer. He displays it in Ultimatum by creating a thin magnetic forcefield around his hand and lifts the hammer. The Will of Mjolnir only response to the physical touch of the host using it or trying to use it. If the will deems it that wielder is not fit, the wielder's own will power will refuse to lift it. But it has nothing to do with the actual weight of the hammer.

#14 Posted by m0ntyb0y (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a magic enchantment...
Magneto has no hope

maybe a being above skyfather level could override Odin's enchantment

#15 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he can

#16 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#17 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17154 posts) - - Show Bio

He currently failed to move Kuurth's hammer, I don't see why he should be able to control/lift Mjolnir

#18 Posted by throughmyeyez (501 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is this even a debate? It's a form of Magic enchantment, not a physical weight. What a fail of a topic.

#19 Posted by Outside_85 (8565 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say no since magic>science/mutant powers, but if he was to create a zero-gravity environment he should be able to move it (he doesnt technically lift it, only pushing along an object that has no weight).

#20 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in the Ultimate universe he did this didn't he? during Ultimatum?

#21 Posted by throughmyeyez (501 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto attempts to lift it, before Thor grabs it and slaps him upside the head with it.

#22 Posted by SebastianShawShank (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Mjolnir is not of earth it is of Asgard so therefore the forces of earth don't effect it in the same way. I don't think even magnetos powers could lift it

#23 Posted by dondave (35990 posts) - - Show Bio

@SebastianShawShank: couldn't magneto lift the electron-magnetic field around the hammer to simulate him moving it when not actually using physical force

#24 Edited by throughmyeyez (501 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@SebastianShawShank: couldn't magneto lift the electron-magnetic field around the hammer to simulate him moving it when not actually using physical force

LOL. The electro-magnetic field, is weight and physical force. Regardless of how small it may be, much like light.

#25 Posted by Mattersuit (4270 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope nope and nope.

#26 Posted by logy5000 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin enchanted it. Magneto's power would have to exceed that of Odin's to lift it, and it doesn't.

#27 Edited by dondave (35990 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000:magneto could probably control Mjolnir. During fear itself the x-men arc when Kuurth threw his hammer at Magneto, magneto said the only reason he couldn't control it was that it was unstoppable like Juggernaut. And Mjolnir has no ability like that

#28 Posted by logy5000 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@logy5000:magneto could probably control Mjolnir. During fear itself the x-men arc when Kuurth threw his hammer at Magneto, magneto said the only reason he couldn't control it was that it was unstoppable like Juggernaut. And Mjolnir has no ability like that

Thor's hammer can't be controlled by anything other than a worthy wielder.

#29 Posted by dondave (35990 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000:Kuurth's hammer had the same enchantment but Magneto thought he could control it and only couldnt because the hammer was unstoppable unlike thors

#30 Posted by logy5000 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@logy5000:Kuurth's hammer had the same enchantment but Magneto thought he could control it and only couldnt because the hammer was unstoppable unlike thors

That's what he thinks was the problem. And we don't actually know what Mjolnir is truly composed of.

#31 Posted by dondave (35990 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000:Ii think they are both made of the same thing; Uru metal