Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By weaponmaster
@Static Shock said:

"

@weaponmaster: He did use telepathy on both of them, but what I got from your argument is that X wouldn't be able to read them because they are faster without the benefit of telepathy. Wolverine and Taskmaster could be held to same standard as Ben and Richard since they have been able to dodge bullets and the like. The only problem is that X didn't have trouble reading them, and defeated them rather easily. 

It's also possible that X is faster than Taskmaster without the use of telepathy, as he beats him to the top of the cage when Taskmaster had a head start. 

"

No. I didn't state that he couldn't read them because they were faster. My allusion was that they would eventually strike faster than he could block. That is my point. X seems faster because he reads people. Dragon and Bronze Tiger Show speed feats at least as fast as X if not faster without the benefit of telepathy and since they are all pretty much equally trained that only leaves genetics to explain their being faster.

Mister X Climbing faster than Taskmaster does not mean he strikes faster. Usain Bolt could have easily outran Bruce Lee or Floyd Mayweather but Bruce and Floyd still strike faster.    

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By weaponmaster
@entropy_aegis said:
"

@weaponmaster said:
"

@entropy_aegis said:
"

@weaponmaster: The scan is non cannon though.

"
There are other scans of Richard dodging bullets.

"
I believe both Dragon v1 and 2 are non cannon.To give them both the benefit of the doubt though  both volumes were supposed to be in canon orignally but were retconned later.

"

Dragon has appeared in other books besides his series has he not?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Static Shock
@weaponmaster said:
"No. I didn't state that he couldn't read them because they were faster. My allusion was that they would eventually strike faster than he could block. That is my point. X seems faster because he reads people. Dragon and Bronze Tiger Show speed feats at least as fast as X if not faster without the benefit of telepathy and since they are all pretty much equally trained that only leaves genetics to explain their being faster."
Ah. So, that in the event that Mister X gets fatigued, Ben and Richard would be able to land more accurate blows?

@weaponmaster said:
" Mister X Climbing faster than Taskmaster does not mean he strikes faster. Usain Bolt could have easily outran Bruce Lee or Floyd Mayweather but Bruce and Floyd still strike faster.    
"
Yeah. Bad example on my part.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@entropy_aegis said:

" Though Tiger has dodged bullets in Knightquest when he and Batman travelled to Santa Prisca. "

Do you recall an issue #?
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Static Shock said:
" @entropy_aegis: How was Richard Dragon v2 retconned? "
Johns did it in 52 i believe,but really i can't blame them.The histories of the characters made no sense at all keeping in view what was happening in Batgirl.@weaponmaster said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
"

@weaponmaster said:
"

@entropy_aegis said:
"

"

"
I believe both Dragon v1 and 2 are non cannon.To give them both the benefit of the doubt though  both volumes were supposed to be in canon orignally but were retconned later.

"
Dragon has appeared in other books besides his series has he not? "
Barely.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Static Shock
@entropy_aegis: Well, his character is pretty obscure. 
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Morpheus_ said:
" @entropy_aegis said:

" Though Tiger has dodged bullets in Knightquest when he and Batman travelled to Santa Prisca. "

Do you recall an issue #? "
Knightquest the search,Justice League Taskforce 5-6
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By weaponmaster
@Static Shock said:
"

@weaponmaster said:
"No. I didn't state that he couldn't read them because they were faster. My allusion was that they would eventually strike faster than he could block. That is my point. X seems faster because he reads people. Dragon and Bronze Tiger Show speed feats at least as fast as X if not faster without the benefit of telepathy and since they are all pretty much equally trained that only leaves genetics to explain their being faster."
Ah. So, that in the event that Mister X gets fatigued, Ben and Richard would be able to land more accurate blows?

@weaponmaster said:
" Mister X Climbing faster than Taskmaster does not mean he strikes faster. Usain Bolt could have easily outran Bruce Lee or Floyd Mayweather but Bruce and Floyd still strike faster.    

"
Yeah. Bad example on my part.

"

When Mister X gets Fatigued his muscles won't respond as fast due to lactic acid build-up making it more and more difficult for him to block and dodge Dragon and Tigers blows and eventually they would start landing even though he knew the blows we're coming because his muscles wouldn't respond properly or fast enough.

The climbing example wasn't a bad one. I like to think that my rebuttle was just a good one.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
Gambler and me had a discussion about the canonicity of Dragon's second volume back when I first read Richard Dragon v2. Here.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By weaponmaster
@entropy_aegis said:
"

@Static Shock said:
"

@entropy_aegis: How was Richard Dragon v2 retconned?

"
Johns did it in 52 i believe,but really i can't blame them.The histories of the characters made no sense at all keeping in view what was happening in Batgirl.@weaponmaster said:
"

@entropy_aegis said:
"

@weaponmaster said:
"

@entropy_aegis said:
"

"

"

"
Dragon has appeared in other books besides his series has he not?

"
Barely.

"

But he still has, correct?
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@entropy_aegis said:
" @Morpheus_ said:
" @entropy_aegis said:

Do you recall an issue #? "
Knightquest the search,Justice League Taskforce 5-6 "
Damn. It's one of the few Bronze Tiger books I haven't read yet.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By entropy_aegis
@weaponmaster:
Yes
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Static Shock
@weaponmaster said:
" When Mister X gets Fatigued his muscles won't respond as fast due to lactic acid build-up making it more and more difficult for him to block and dodge Dragon and Tigers blows and eventually they would start landing even though he knew the blows we're coming because his muscles wouldn't respond properly or fast enough.
But, who's to say that Mister X would tire before Ben ad Richard?
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By weaponmaster
@Static Shock said:
"

@weaponmaster said:
" When Mister X gets Fatigued his muscles won't respond as fast due to lactic acid build-up making it more and more difficult for him to block and dodge Dragon and Tigers blows and eventually they would start landing even though he knew the blows we're coming because his muscles wouldn't respond properly or fast enough.
But, who's to say that Mister X would tire before Ben ad Richard?

"

Biophysics. Mister X will have to expend twice the energy as he will be attacking and dodging and blocking 2 assailants and their attacks and will. of course, tire before 2 people who only have to deal with one person whose attacks are split between the two.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Static Shock
@weaponmaster said:
" Biophysics. Mister X will have to expend twice the energy as he will be attacking and dodging and blocking 2 assailants and their attacks and will. of course, tire before 2 people who only have to deal with one person whose attacks are split between the two. "
Okay. You have me there. I can't refute that. LOL. 
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By weaponmaster
@Static Shock said:
"

@weaponmaster said:
"
Biophysics. Mister X will have to expend twice the energy as he will be attacking and dodging and blocking 2 assailants and their attacks and will. of course, tire before 2 people who only have to deal with one person whose attacks are split between the two.

"
Okay. You have me there. I can't refute that. LOL. 

"

Many thanks. LOL
Cosmic_Falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Cosmic_Falcon
@Gremlin From Kremlin: In Thunderbolts, X was really poorly written. 
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Cosmic_Falcon: Diggle wrote the best Mr X post-Frank Tieri (even though he altered the way his powers are supposed to work), but I concur Remender and Parker handled him pretty poorly.
Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#69  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
@Morpheus_ said:
" @Buckshot:  Do you recall an issue/series where that is mentioned? The only instance I recall off hand is Catman saying "you have a defense for every style, Turner" in Secret Six. "
That's what first sprang to mind for me. Given that BT and RD were said to be masters of all kung fu (and similar statements), and you'd have to know something on some level in order to defend against it, I think that statement supports that BT at least, has not lost any of his skill after the crisis, especially since there isn't anything actually saying he or RD has. 

@Static Shock said:

@nick_hero22 said: 

I think the team wins this, Richard Dragon could probably solo because he has beaten Lady Shiva before and she could read body language "

Shiva reads moves via body language, while X reads moves via telepathy. While they both serve the same purpose, they aren't the same method. Using his ability to fight Shiva doesn't carry over in this fight, based on that.  "
I think it's something to consider. If he can defeat her even though she knows what he's going to do, then would that not apply to Mr. X too? It's not like RD was shown to fight in a way that negated that advantage of Shiva's (which would be specific to her and not Mr. X). He beat her in spite of it. You assume Mr. X's is more accurate but I'm not sure how you'd prove that since there's no comparison anywhere that I've read. Batgirl's level of move reading would be indistinguishable from Mr. X's given how she easily avoids attacks. It may even be better because of the deeper insight it gives her that Mr. X's does not. Further, her move reading would be useful against a berserk Wolverine because though his mind would be blank, his body would still be throwing off cues simply because he can't move without giving a warning since no motion is instant and without a preceding motion. I don't think you should assume mind reading is more accurate, but if you were to compare body reading and mind reading this way, it would appear that body reading would be more accurate.

@Static Shock said:

@Gremlin From Kremlin said:

"Were the street-levelers really affected by the COIE? I though it only retconned uber powerful characters, like PC Darkseid, Kryptonians, Validus, etc.
Again, both Richard Dragon and Bronze Tiger are masters of Kung-Fu. It is safe to assume that they know the drunken style. They are almost on par with Lady Shiva, who is a master of ALL martial arts on Earth, even the forgotten styles. That surely includes the drunken style.

Many characters have gone through retcons since then. For example, Batman was stated to be skilled in all fighting styles, but a master of none of them during Pre-Crisis. Post-Crisis, he's retconned to be a master of 127 fighting styles. Richard Dragon's character was retconned in his mini-series (the same series he fought Lady Shiva in), and I don't remember anything about him being a master of all the fighting styles in the world there. Even if they are masters of kung-fu, they would have to know about his telepathy to use drunken style against him.

About these retcons, I don't think they automatically apply to everyone. The Batman statement is a specific (though I can think of a couple reasons for the difference in claims that explain it without changing anything: he could have gotten better. shiva masters about a dozen styles a year, Batman could get better too. he could be a master of them in comparison to most, but among the top tier where RD, BT, Shiva, etc are, he's not as proficient) one and doesn't meant that everyone was retconned. Batman may be street level, but he's a major character. What happens to him doesn't happen to everyone. And as I recall, events in RD's life were changed in his series, but I don't recall there being changes to his skill. And where do those claims come from by the way? The wording I remember of the 127 styles one was more like a statement that he'd learned at least 127. 

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By velle37

@entropy_aegis

What happened in 52 with Dragon?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By entropy_aegis
@velle37:
I think he trained Renee there.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By velle37
@entropy_aegis said:
" @velle37: I think he trained Renee there. "

I see...

I remember him training Huntress at one time as well...

Barbara gordon too.......

Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cochise

Just because it's stated that Bronze Tiger and Richard Dragon know every martial art style, which is a narrative statement used all the time, doesn't mean they know the technique that Iron Fist used to foil X's telepathy. "Drunken Style" could mean something very different in the DC universe than it does in the Marvel universe; until Tiger or Dragon are shown using a style that foils telepaths, I would not give that to them.

That being said, I think the team wins. X would do well against either one of them solo, but against both at once he's in trouble. Knowing what's going to happen doesn't necessarily mean that one can defend against it.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By nick_hero22
@Cochise:
Drunken Fist is a style of Kung Fu, If Bronze Tiger & Richard Dragon are masters of Kung Fu they would have mastered Drunken Fist along with other styles of Kung Fu that could throw Mr.X off.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Cochise
@nick_hero22:

But there's nothing to say that the Drunken Fist that Iron Fist knows is the same as a similarly named style in the DC Universe. It certainly isn't the same as the real-world Drunken Fist style. It's just a name. We're talking two separate universes here. I wouldn't give Tiger or Dragon the ability to fight in such a way as to fool a telepath UNLESS they've been shown to do so at least once in the past.
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By nick_hero22
@Cochise:
Why would the Drunken Fist in the DC Universe be different from the Marvel Universe's version? That would be like me saying Karate in the DC Universe isnt the same as in the Marvel Universe, their is absolutely no proof behind the statement. Drunken Fist in fiction is based on the real life style itself so why would it be different?
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Sadly, Richard Dragon hasn't done anything relevant since the Pre-Crisis era. His martial arts prowess compared to the feats of the modern age martial artists are dated at best. Just my opinion.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
@Cochise said:
"until Tiger or Dragon are shown using a style that foils telepaths, I would not give that to them."
Dragon has been shown fighting (and beating) someone that knows what their opponent is going to do. Good enough. (And that's without backup from a similarly skilled friend.)
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#79  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@Buckshot said:
" @Cochise said:
"until Tiger or Dragon are shown using a style that foils telepaths, I would not give that to them."
Dragon has been shown fighting (and beating) someone that knows what their opponent is going to do. Good enough. (And that's without backup from a similarly skilled friend.) "
Who?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Static Shock
@Gambler: I agree. 

@Buckshot said:
"I think it's something to consider. If he can defeat her even though she knows what he's going to do, then would that not apply to Mr. X too? It's not like RD was shown to fight in a way that negated that advantage of Shiva's (which would be specific to her and not Mr. X). He beat her in spite of it. You assume Mr. X's is more accurate but I'm not sure how you'd prove that since there's no comparison anywhere that I've read. Batgirl's level of move reading would be indistinguishable from Mr. X's given how she easily avoids attacks. It may even be better because of the deeper insight it gives her that Mr. X's does not. Further, her move reading would be useful against a berserk Wolverine because though his mind would be blank, his body would still be throwing off cues simply because he can't move without giving a warning since no motion is instant and without a preceding motion. I don't think you should assume mind reading is more accurate, but if you were to compare body reading and mind reading this way, it would appear that body reading would be more accurate."
It was an assumption based on the fact that X would be reading thoughts as opposed to Shiva reading the body. A lot of fighters think about what move to use next, you know? As far as reading body language, its accuracy is questionable because I've seen Shiva and Cassandra get tagged in spite of it. I even recall Nightwing being able to tag Cassandra multiple times when they fought in Outsiders. I've seen Shiva get tagged in other battles other than her fight with Richard, as well. Even Cassandra's ability to read wouldn't work on someone of Deathstroke's caliber, and she claimed that she wasn't able to read him because his body moves like a 'choir.' If able to read moves via telepathy, it would be more effective against him. But, since you put it that way, I shouldn't have made that assumption from the start. I think both methods of move reading have their flaws.

@Buckshot said:
"About these retcons, I don't think they automatically apply to everyone. The Batman statement is a specific (though I can think of a couple reasons for the difference in claims that explain it without changing anything: he could have gotten better. shiva masters about a dozen styles a year, Batman could get better too. he could be a master of them in comparison to most, but among the top tier where RD, BT, Shiva, etc are, he's not as proficient) one and doesn't meant that everyone was retconned. Batman may be street level, but he's a major character. What happens to him doesn't happen to everyone. And as I recall, events in RD's life were changed in his series, but I don't recall there being changes to his skill. And where do those claims come from by the way? The wording I remember of the 127 styles one was more like a statement that he'd learned at least 127. "
I wasn't saying that everyone was retconned, but I was saying that many characters may have been affected by the Crisis in some way, whether it be subtle changes or significant changes. The claim about Batman being skilled in all forms of combat, but not a master of any was stated while Batman was fighting ninjas from the League of Assassins. I can't remember the issue, however. The one about 127 styles was from Batgirl (the disc he gave her). I just thought he was a master of all of those fighting styles.

Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Cochise
@nick_hero22 said:
" @Cochise: Why would the Drunken Fist in the DC Universe be different from the Marvel Universe's version? That would be like me saying Karate in the DC Universe isnt the same as in the Marvel Universe, their is absolutely no proof behind the statement. Drunken Fist in fiction is based on the real life style itself so why would it be different? "
Because that wouldn't make any sense... The real-world Drunken Master style has nothing to do with fooling telepaths, I presume. Some Marvel writer picked that name because it sounded cool and turned it into something else, something completely different from both the real-world style and from how it may be depicted in the DCU.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Cochise
@Buckshot said:
" @Cochise said:
Dragon has been shown fighting (and beating) someone that knows what their opponent is going to do. Good enough. (And that's without backup from a similarly skilled friend.) "
What were the details? Was that person telepathic? Because I think telepathy would be much, much harder to fool than generic body-reading.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Cochise:I presume Buckshot is referring to Dragon's fight with Shiva during Richard Dragon v2 (the canonicity of which is in question, too, and citing earlier Shiva/Dragon encounters from Richard Dragon: Kung-Fu Fighter seems rather futile considering Shiva didn't have such an ability pre Crisis, to my knowledge), even though I don't recall her move reading abilities coming into play during that particular fight, either. That's not to say I'm suggesting that ability has an off switch or something, just that the writer (Chuck Dixon) disregarded it entirely over the course of Shiva's appearances during that series.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cochise

@Morpheus_ said:
" @Cochise:I presume Buckshot is referring to Dragon's fight with Shiva during Richard Dragon v2 (the canonicity of which is in question, too, and citing earlier Shiva/Dragon encounters from Richard Dragon: Kung-Fu Fighter seems rather futile considering Shiva didn't have such an ability pre Crisis, to my knowledge), even though I don't recall her move reading abilities coming into play during that particular fight, either. That's not to say I'm suggesting that ability has an off switch or something, just that the writer (Chuck Dixon) disregarded it entirely over the course of Shiva's appearances during that series. "

Gotcha, thanks. I'm not sure how that helps Dragon here.

I'm not saying telepathic pre-cog is any better or worse than body reading - just different. But being able to fool one doesn't mean you can fool the other, or vice versa. I.e., one can fight with a style that involves weird muscle movements and contractures, or conceals movement with a cape - that would fool body-reading but not telepathy. Alternatively, one can fight with a style that blanks out the conscious mind of the fighter - that would fool telepathy, but not body-reading. And so on.

Anyway, I still think the team takes it - both of them at once seem like they'd be too much for X to handle.

I've never read Dragon v2. It doesn't seem to get much love from fans, which is weird considering that many think Dixon understands martial arts better than the majority of writers.

Also, at what point did Shiva get the "body reading" that she now seems to be synonymous with? That always seemed like a strange ability to me, since ALL martial artists to one degree or another do this - look at their opponent for cues that telegraph what they are going to do next. Yet when Shiva does it it is regarded as something akin to a superpower.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Cochise:
She got body reading in the Batgirl series.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Cochise
@entropy_aegis said:
" @Cochise: She got body reading in the Batgirl series. "
Was there any explanation for this? If it was never mentioned prior to this, how did they explain her retroactively getting this ability to a degree that is supposedly well beyond the ability of other martial artists, seeing as how in the past (and I'm thinking of her fight with Batman in Death In The Family) it wasn't a factor? Was it supposed to be something she learned since DITF? And if so, how would it make sense for both her and Cassandra to have it, since it was implied that it was something with a bot of a generic component? And if it's something that can be learned by Shiva, who didn't have the "no language" upbringing that Cassandra did, what prevents other top-tier martial artists from learning it (which to be honest, I think they have to an unspoken degree)?

Damn, lot of questions in that post... ;)
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Cochise said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @Cochise: She got body reading in the Batgirl series. "
Was there any explanation for this? If it was never mentioned prior to this, how did they explain her retroactively getting this ability to a degree that is supposedly well beyond the ability of other martial artists, seeing as how in the past (and I'm thinking of her fight with Batman in Death In The Family) it wasn't a factor? Was it supposed to be something she learned since DITF? And if so, how would it make sense for both her and Cassandra to have it, since it was implied that it was something with a bot of a generic component? And if it's something that can be learned by Shiva, who didn't have the "no language" upbringing that Cassandra did, what prevents other top-tier martial artists from learning it (which to be honest, I think they have to an unspoken degree)?Damn, lot of questions in that post... ;) "
Batgirl revised her origin,she had it right from the start.It's strange but it was said that Shiva and her sister had mastered/amplified the ability to unreachable levels hence why Cain chose her to bear Cassandra.But yeah there are holes in this theory,afterall Cassandra has been classified as non meta same goes for Shiva.Nothing prevents other fighters from doing it,it's just that DC wants Cass and Shiva to be untouchable in that area,but they also don't want to classify either as superhuman either which ticks me off.
Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think X loses, both Dragon and Tiger are good enough to figure somethings up with X and are more than capable of switching tactics as needed.  And I don't see any way X can take them both down before this happens.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By nick_hero22

@Cochise:
Drunken Fist style is a highly unpredictable the style, the user imitates drunken movements which could through off a telepath. The Drunken Fist style that Iron Fist used is based off the real life style so it is no different from the one in the DC Universe both styles imitates the movements of a intoxicated  fighter.

Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Cochise
@nick_hero22 said:
"

@Cochise:
Drunken Fist style is a highly unpredictable the style, the user imitates drunken movements which could through off a telepath. The Drunken Fist style that Iron Fist used is based off the real life style so it is no different from the one in the DC Universe both styles imitates the movements of a intoxicated  fighter.

"
Real-life Drunken Fist, to my knowledge, does nothing to mask the user's thoughts. It may use movements that are unpredictable to opponents, but the user is well aware of what he/she is doing. It's simply a way of fighting that uses unpredictable movements. It would present no problems to a telepath, who isn't watching the movements but rather reading the user's mind. It would be useful against a body-reader like Shiva, who sees an arm start to move in one direction and would "expect" something else.

Marvel Drunken Fist, at least the style that Iron Fist was using, is not like this. It's stated to specifically mask what the user is thinking, thus making it great against Mister X.

DC Drunken Fist? Who knows? i haven't seen any scans of it. But unless it was stated to mask the user's thoughts, I would think it would be more like the real-world Drunken Fist, and therefore not effective against Mister X (while being effective against a body reader like Shiva.)
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By entropy_aegis
@nick_hero22 said:
"

@Cochise:

"
So how does it throw off TP? you're still thinking regardless of your movements.
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By nick_hero22
@Cochise:
Did Iron Fist state that the style of Drunken Fist he used masked his thoughts or is it just your opinion.
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
@Gambler said:

" @Buckshot said:

" @Cochise said:
Who? "
He beat Shiva in his mini. Before she killed him anyway. You should know I care less about what's strictly canon and more about what's reasonable. 

@Static Shock said: 

@Gambler: I agree. 

@Buckshot said: 
"I think it's something to consider. If he can defeat her even though she knows what he's going to do, then would that not apply to Mr. X too? It's not like RD was shown to fight in a way that negated that advantage of Shiva's (which would be specific to her and not Mr. X). He beat her in spite of it. You assume Mr. X's is more accurate but I'm not sure how you'd prove that since there's no comparison anywhere that I've read. Batgirl's level of move reading would be indistinguishable from Mr. X's given how she easily avoids attacks. It may even be better because of the deeper insight it gives her that Mr. X's does not. Further, her move reading would be useful against a berserk Wolverine because though his mind would be blank, his body would still be throwing off cues simply because he can't move without giving a warning since no motion is instant and without a preceding motion. I don't think you should assume mind reading is more accurate, but if you were to compare body reading and mind reading this way, it would appear that body reading would be more accurate."
It was an assumption based on the fact that X would be reading thoughts as opposed to Shiva reading the body. A lot of fighters think about what move to use next, you know? As far as reading body language, its accuracy is questionable because I've seen Shiva and Cassandra get tagged in spite of it. I even recall Nightwing being able to tag Cassandra multiple times when they fought in Outsiders. I've seen Shiva get tagged in other battles other than her fight with Richard, as well. Even Cassandra's ability to read wouldn't work on someone of Deathstroke's caliber, and she claimed that she wasn't able to read him because his body moves like a 'choir.' If able to read moves via telepathy, it would be more effective against him. But, since you put it that way, I shouldn't have made that assumption from the start. I think both methods of move reading have their flaws.

@Buckshot said: 
"About these retcons, I don't think they automatically apply to everyone. The Batman statement is a specific (though I can think of a couple reasons for the difference in claims that explain it without changing anything: he could have gotten better. shiva masters about a dozen styles a year, Batman could get better too. he could be a master of them in comparison to most, but among the top tier where RD, BT, Shiva, etc are, he's not as proficient) one and doesn't meant that everyone was retconned. Batman may be street level, but he's a major character. What happens to him doesn't happen to everyone. And as I recall, events in RD's life were changed in his series, but I don't recall there being changes to his skill. And where do those claims come from by the way? The wording I remember of the 127 styles one was more like a statement that he'd learned at least 127. "
I wasn't saying that everyone was retconned, but I was saying that many characters may have been affected by the Crisis in some way, whether it be subtle changes or significant changes. The claim about Batman being skilled in all forms of combat, but not a master of any was stated while Batman was fighting ninjas from the League of Assassins. I can't remember the issue, however. The one about 127 styles was from Batgirl (the disc he gave her). I just thought he was a master of all of those fighting styles.

"
yes, Shiva and Batgirl get tagged despite their move reading. And Flash gets tagged despite his speed. Even if it weren't simply to make fights entertaining, it could be explained by Shiva's character. She's a brutal fighter and has no problem exchanging blows and letting damage fall on both sides. It's also in her character to test her opponents, allowing them to get away with more than they should while she's doing so. It should also be said that letting an opponent get hits in can be used to take advantage of their position, weariness or cockiness both in comics and in real life fights. I don't know the exact reason she gets hit, but I see many reasons for it that don't reduce her actual stated ability. As for the Deathstroke statement, I don't know if it can actually be said that telepathy would be more effective. Remember X's fight with Cho? He could read his thoughts, but didn't know what the plan was. He got a lot of info, but no clear message. Sounds pretty much the same as Batgirl reading Deathstroke and hearing a lot of voices but not being able to make out exactly what his body was saying, no? And if I recall correctly, Batgirl stayed in that fight with him for quite a while and didn't really get beat at the end of it. Could you refresh my memory?

Characters were affected, but was there something suggesting Richard Dragon's skills were limited? He gave her a disc, but I don't think it came with a claim of mastery that would specifically contradict the earlier statement. On that point though, I have a hard time with it as I could see both sides being true. I understand why a writer would portray Batman as a jack of all trades, knowing enough about everything to be deadly, but because of that, not focusing on one thing, but I also find it hard to believe that Batman is not a master of anything.

@Cochise said: 

@Buckshot said: 

@Cochise said: 
What were the details? Was that person telepathic? Because I think telepathy would be much, much harder to fool than generic body-reading. "
I think I went over that assumption already, and Shiva's body reading is far from generic.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Buckshot:The Deathstroke/Batgirl fight was fairly balanced, but Slade was toying with her (Cassandra's words) in order to lure her to the real challenge, Ravager.

I know it's a big post, but you can view the full fight in my second set of scans
here.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Cochise
@nick_hero22 said:

" @Cochise: Did Iron Fist state that the style of Drunken Fist he used masked his thoughts or is it just your opinion. "

I don't have it in front of me but I could have sworn he said something like, "I'll use my Drunken Fist style. It conceals my thoughts" or something to that effect.

EDIT: here's the link tot he pic
No Caption Provided
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Cochise:
No Caption Provided
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Cochise
@Buckshot said:

@Cochise said: 

@Buckshot said: 

@Cochise said: 
What were the details? Was that person telepathic? Because I think telepathy would be much, much harder to fool than generic body-reading. "
I think I went over that assumption already, and Shiva's body reading is far from generic.

"
Body reading or not, she gets tagged all the time. Too often to say it's the writer jobbing her out. I view it more as a useful skill that HELPS her defense but doesn't make her defense unbeatable. It isn't written as this unbeatable ability where her opponents may as well not even try and hit her, so why treat it that way on Vs. boards? And the same can be said for Mister X - his telepathy is a great skill (IMHO better than body reading) but it doesn't make him unhittable - if he "sees" an attack coming that can't be dodged or blocked, he's hosed.

Anyway, I've given my reasons why a style designed to fool a body reader won't necessarily work against a telepath, and vice versa.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Cochise said:
" @Buckshot said:

@Cochise said: 

@Buckshot said: 

@Cochise said: 

"
Body reading or not, she gets tagged all the time. Too often to say it's the writer jobbing her out. I view it more as a useful skill that HELPS her defense but doesn't make her defense unbeatable. It isn't written as this unbeatable ability where her opponents may as well not even try and hit her, so why treat it that way on Vs. boards? And the same can be said for Mister X - his telepathy is a great skill (IMHO better than body reading) but it doesn't make him unhittable - if he "sees" an attack coming that can't be dodged or blocked, he's hosed. Anyway, I've given my reasons why a style designed to fool a body reader won't necessarily work against a telepath, and vice versa. "
BOP and Hush was certainly jobbing,the latter was written by Loeb.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By entropy_aegis

What i fail to understand is how did Fist reach the conclusion that X has TP? reading can be intrepreted in different ways.Also i find it amusing that X instead of using his martial arts knowledge to counter drunken style just stands there and gets struck.Taskmaster suffers from the same,dude use the abilities you already know instead of standing there and copying your enemies' style.

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By velle37

@Morpheus_ said:

" @Cochise:

"

That has to be one of the weakest cop-outs in comics.

That scene makes no sense.

@Buckshot

Dragon's mini is non-canon.