Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5 Lunacyde  Moderator

great fight, but i see Katara winning.

So far.

Ming Hua has shown some impressive and unique abilities, but in a straigth head to head match I think the evidence so far sucggests that Katara is still the stronger and more technically sound waterbender.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@lunacyde: Remember Katara wasn't even that old during the first avatar show, and she had basically mastered water bending at a young age, the reason why she will win a majority is simply due to her feats, and the feats Ming Hua lacks.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katara seems to have more raw power but Ming-Hua has done some pretty impressive things.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lunacyde  Moderator

@lunacyde: Remember Katara wasn't even that old during the first avatar show, and she had basically mastered water bending at a young age, the reason why she will win a majority is simply due to her feats, and the feats Ming Hua lacks.

I realize. She was 16 IIRC. She was also a prodigy, mastering it in about a year.

Other than that we agree. I said "so far' because Ming Hua has only appeared in a few episodes and I am sure she will have more feats by the end of the season with which to make a better judgment.

KidPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde:

Zuko did state these rogue benders could beat any bender 1 on 1, and katara was alive at the time so Ming has a chance

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ming-Hua stomps, far too agile for Katara

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@lunacyde:

Zuko did state these rogue benders could beat any bender 1 on 1, and katara was alive at the time so Ming has a chance

Katara was also an elderly old woman at that point. In this battle she is at her peak featwise. I am assuming that age does play a part in the decline of fighting prowess as can be seen when Zuko faced the Rogues.

@lunacyde: She was 14.

You are correct, it has been a long time . Zuko was the one who was 16.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lunacyde: true it seems age doesn't affectskill in shows like this. bumi was 110 years old and arguably the most powerful earthbender in the world

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kidphillip: I feel like 6/10 is pretty low. I would say 7 or 8/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bumping for the recent episode. Ming hua is definitely more agile and more aggressive with her bending but I think katara is a more powerful bender. probably 6/10 in favor of katara

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ming Hua is an incredibly fast and agile water bender but Katara has been known to over come the odds (Azula) and pick up against new styles quickly (Hama and Ty Lee). I think with her technique and brains she could get the best of her. It would be a fun match to see!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think katara can take control of ming hua's water arms lol

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoringPerson

Ming hua was roughly equal to Korea's Dad who is a strong water bender. That being said, she hasn't faced a legitimate water bending master as of yet, and Katara is the strongest water bender in the entire series by feats.

Katara is basically avatar state Korra limited to water bending.

Bumi's an anomaly in terms of fighting strength... I mean he was RIPPED at 110 years old... Katara's a hunchbacked shuffleboarder at this point...

EpicGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to catch up with the series......

Aressword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@killerwasp said:

great fight, but i see Katara winning.

So far.

Ming Hua has shown some impressive and unique abilities, but in a straigth head to head match I think the evidence so far sucggests that Katara is still the stronger and more technically sound waterbender.

zaktam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on feats, I'd say Katara wins this fight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well ming hua lost to mako so ya probably katara

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katara. Ming hua didnt seem to show powerful bending. All she does is make water arms and manipulate it. Her agility is really great though, but I dont think that alone would be able to give her the win. Katara could just bend her arms away

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ming only lost due to lightning which is something Katara cannot do . Katara has a lot more showings but none of her showings show her dealing with someone as agile as Ming effectively . I think this match is pretty close . How small is Korras compound ? Also Ming is a lot more ruthless than Katara is that plays a factor .

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rogueshadow  Moderator

Ming only lost due to lightning which is something Katara cannot do . Katara has a lot more showings but none of her showings show her dealing with someone as agile as Ming effectively . I think this match is pretty close . How small is Korras compound ? Also Ming is a lot more ruthless than Katara is that plays a factor .

She dealt with Azula and was winning, Azula is one of the quickest/most agile characters in the series.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@etheral_dreams: Azula>mako and katara was doing perfectly fine vs her in the crystal catacombs so no mako does not wreck katara at all

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dextersinister

@rogueshadow: She beat Azula because waterbending is based on counters, waiting for Azula as she had pre-prepared water arms, Azula walked into a counter.

Ming Hua fights with the same style accelerated, she is also one of the most agile avatar characters against one of the least, the fight would play out the same way it did between Desna and Eska

Loading Video...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: She NEVER had the upper hand against except for the end of series when Azula was borderline psychotic . As seen that fight she was of been if Zuko didn't take the lightning blast for her she's no defense against it . On another note quickest most agile person besides Aang was Mei Ling (I think that was her name) the chick who blocked pressure points & I don't remember Katara being effective against her .

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: Yes, Katara did have the upper hand over Azula in Ba Sing Se and Zuko and Azula had to double team on Katara to beat her. And yes, Azula was completely insane during Sozin's Comet, but Katara was able to beat her without having to kill her, with ZERO marks or injuries on her body or even fatigue or any signs that she had just been in a deadly battle. In Ba Sing Se, Azula was getting subdued by Katara's water tentacles until Zuko jumped in and saved her. Mako would get trashed by Katara lmfao she's beaten Azula twice.

SherAli96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie katara would take ming imo, the reason why ming died was because the water that emulated her arms, had immediately conducted the lightning which entered her body, katara on the other hand isn't reliant on making water arms, she practically owned azula in season 2, up until zuko came and yet she still gave up a fight, and after that when azula temporarily killed Aang she practically drowned all dai lee agents who are known for their agility, in order to save aang. Ming hua is seriously quick, but she has a weakness which is her being armless, thus she doesn't overall capitalize on her true potential in waterbending whereas katara can, so overall katara wins

Black_Ore_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End of series Katara.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katara for the majority.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still going with katara. I wish we could see katara in her 20s lol

zaktam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie katara has in fact had the upper hand against azula in a fight. in a stable, fair fight (at first, until zuko helped azula and they beat her). she fought azula in the earth kingdom while aang fought zuko. katara seemed to be winning until zuko interfered to save his sister. aang and katara switched enemies; zuko fought katara while aang fought azula. aang lost first, which allowed zuko and azula to team up on katara. also, the person you were talking about was Ty Lee. and yes, at first Katara was not effective against her. but eventually after katara learned more about ty lee she became very effective.

so, she's capable of being effective against agile opponents, but has to adjust a bit first.

@Etheral_Dreams katara has dealt with more powerful lightning benders before, and done fine. one of which is azula, who is probably the most powerful opponent in the entire avatar universe, maybe tied with zaheer. also used lightning very often, and katara was never electrocuted by her.

@Dextersinister you have a point. that video does make ming hua seem like she could be very effective against katara. but then, katara has better feats than desna and eska, so there's a possibility that katara's extreme amount of raw power could overwhelm ming hua.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Katara, just on principle.

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By marvelfan1992

@martinceld: she did seem like a water bending prodigy in the show haha. Too bad we never see her in her real prime which i'd say would be around her 30s

Marty2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the minority here, but i think Ming Hua takes this - especially given the locale of the South Pole compound with plenty of ice around.

The thing about bending is that its a combination of mental TK and physical motion. The more superior a bender is, the more bendable they can move with less motion. Even master benders need to constantly move their arms and feet to bend. Which is why I think Ming Hua is a better waterbender - she is constantly water-bending her "arms" while barely moving. The more water she has around, the better shape she is in.

If the match was somewhere else - like a forest - Katara might have a better chance. Unlike Katara, Ming Hua hasn't shown the resourcefulness like drawing water from plants.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 anthp2000  Moderator

I'll go with Katara on a slight majority, 5-5 / 10. More versatality and techniques that can counter Ming.

Marty2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000 said:

I'll go with Katara on a slight majority, 5-5 / 10. More versatality and techniques that can counter Ming.

Not debating the point, but I think Ming-Hua might be more versatile than people give her credit for. A lot of people here seem to think that she only uses her water tentacles and variations thereof, but that's not quite true. With Eska and Desna, she used her tentacles to trip them, but as soon as she touched ground, she raised water pillars to catch them and immediately freeze them in place. When Kya broke off an icicle from her arm and threw it at her, Ming just threw it back without touching and added 2 more. And then she created a wave to ride with her feet.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 anthp2000  Moderator

@marty2187: I agree with you but she couldn't possibly be more versatile than let's say Katara. That's because even though she has water hands it's not possible to do all these things without normal hands. She is one hell of a master, I agree. She is versatile and her mastery and skill is visible just by the way she overcomed her disability. Allow me to say that her disability is even worse than Toph's and they both stil managed to overcome it. Man, I really want a backstory for Ming to see her life and how she became who she is and how she has overcomed her disability since born...She is such an interesting character. One of my favourites. I don't think the Red Lotus overall had as much screentime as they deserved. They were so mysterious and interesting characters. Esspecially as a team...I'd love a comic or an episode for them all. And my favourite is Ming.

Marty2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Marty2187

@anthp2000: I wouldn't say "couldn't possibly be".

This is just my opinion on how her bending works and in no way establishes whether she is more or less versatile than Katara.

The way I see it, the more mastery over the element you have, the less movement you need to bend it. Exemplified by Amon who could bend blood without moving at all. Which means Ming is always bending with minimal motion to maintain and move her water-arms. But then she takes it to the next level - using her water-arms to bend other water. Like she did with Bolin in the pool. Theoretically atleast, she should be able to perform all moves that a normal bender with arms can.

That said, Katara does show more versatility in the sense that she uses the water all around her and her enemy instead of just what's in front of her. And Ming Hua was blind-sided by Kya's wave from the side.

Side Note: Given that Amon could bend blood without moving, do you think he could also bend all other water without moving as well?

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vengefulshot

Katara 8/10. Beats Ming in most categories other than agility and (possibly) control.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katara turns Ming into a cripple.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Katara in a tough battle

Batz401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boringperson: Katata no where near Korra water bending lmao. Even without avatar state Korra beats Katara.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teen Katara- 6/10 very difficult fight

Adult Katara- 10/10 by logic and assumed improvement

Avatar image for deactivated-614da662d6bee
deactivated-614da662d6bee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katara easily.

Lamario22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: it doesn't matter who is the better bender doesn't mean you are the better fighter