• 55 results
#1 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

Battle arena: Earth
Thanos don't have Infinity Gauntlet, Heart Of The Universe or Cosmic Cube.

#2 Posted by SUNMAN (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto

#3 Posted by King Saturn (224150 posts) - - Show Bio
I think Thanos could beat Mephisto
#4 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio

random encounter i dont know but with prep time i say thanos

#5 Posted by Tevnoba (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto can only beat Thanos in his own realm.  Knowledge is power when it comes to Mephisto and Thanos knows all of Mephisto's tricks.  And Thanos has outsmarted Mephisto before.

#6 Posted by SUNMAN (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

whatever, I hope Mephisto loses I hate him anyway

#7 Posted by Bo88gdan (4405 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto wins 

#8 Posted by JediXMan (30584 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto wins in a straight encounter. Thanos wins with prep.

Moderator Online
#9 Edited by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

This.

@czarny_samael666 said:

Battle arena: Earth
Thanos don't have Infinity Gauntlet, Heart Of The Universe or Cosmic Cube.

*cough* doesn't *cough* haha

SHAZAM

#10 Posted by Freefa11 (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm, interesting. I think the best. I have ever seen Mephisto do out of his realm is take down the Surfer with little difficulty. But then, Thanos has done the same, and more besides. Mephisto also seemed unwilling to confront the Titan at the end of Infinity Crusade, despite having just been seriously ripped off. I think Thanos would win with some difficulty, unless there are better feats out there for Mephisto; i honestly have not seen him in many fights outside his realm.

#11 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto does NOT win. What are you people smoking? Ever read The Infinity War?

Mephisto is scared of Thanos, period.

#12 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

Mephisto does NOT win. What are you people smoking? Ever read The Infinity War?

Mephisto is scared of Thanos, period.

That's because he had the Infinity Gauntlet.....

#13 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

No, he didn't. No IG, no cosmic cube.

#14 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Think you're thinking of the Infinity Gauntlet series.

In the Infinity War, the Magus has the gauntlet (well, 5 of the gems) and a collection of cosmic cubes.

#15 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

No, he didn't. No IG, no cosmic cube.

During the Infinity Gauntlet series, Thanos HAD the Infinity Gauntlet.

#16 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't say the Infinity Gauntlet, I said the INFINITY WAR.

#17 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

I didn't say the Infinity Gauntlet, I said the INFINITY WAR.

Just because Mephisto was acting as his adviser doesn't mean Mephisto was "scared" of him.

#18 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto doesn't act as his advisor during the Infinity War.

In fact, Mephisto doesn't appear in the Infinity War at all. I meant to say Infinity Crusade.

Mephisto promises to help Thanos and Warlock deal with the Goddess, and if they should succeed, his asking price is one of the cosmic cubes that the Goddess had in her possession. Thanos and Warlock agree, and in the end they do manage to beat her. Thanos makes good on his bargain, but gives Mephisto a cube with no power (saying their agreement didn't specify that it had to be a FUNCTIONING cosmic containment unit). Mephisto is really pissed off, but does NOTHING, quickly teleporting off of Sanctuary (Thanos' ship).

He's scared of Thanos, period.

#19 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

And if you like, I can post some scans of Warlock kicking Mephisto's ass, and then moments later, backing down from Thanos.

#20 Edited by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

Mephisto doesn't act as his advisor during the Infinity War.

In fact, Mephisto doesn't appear in the Infinity War at all. I meant to say Infinity Crusade.

Mephisto promises to help Thanos and Warlock deal with the Goddess, and if they should succeed, his asking price is one of the cosmic cubes that the Goddess had in her possession. Thanos and Warlock agree, and in the end they do manage to beat her. Thanos makes good on his bargain, but gives Mephisto a cube with no power (saying their agreement didn't specify that it had to be a FUNCTIONING cosmic containment unit). Mephisto is really pissed off, but does NOTHING, quickly teleporting off of Sanctuary (Thanos' ship).

He's scared of Thanos, period.

Mephisto in-character roll works as playing along other characters' delemas to test those characters will. Thanos provided that he out smarted Mephisto.... That gave Mephisto the gratitude to leave him alone. It's just in his character. ALOT OF CHARACTER - Not just Thanos; outsmarted Mephisto and he leaves them be until a next time he comes across them.

If Mephisto was out-of-character, he would simply blink Thanos back into Death's realm.... Of course Thanos will not be permanently dead because of course, he is the Avatar of Death. And Thanos can't kill Mephisto because Mephisto can't die.

#21 Edited by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Semantics. And inaccurate.

#22 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: Every character has rolls.

#23 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: Inaccurate? Then explain why Mephisto rivals Galactus better than Thanos.

#24 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Read it. Or re-read it. I think your opinion will change...

#25 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: What? The Crusade or the fight between Mephisto and Galactus?

#26 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Read the Infinity Crusade.

And the fight between Mephisto and Galactus that you're referring to doesn't count. It took place ENTIRELY within Hades.

#27 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

And the fight between Mephisto and Galactus that you're referring to doesn't count. It took place ENTIRELY within Hades.

In Hades, but it was affecting the surrounding galaxies in the physical plane.

#28 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how that matters in the least.

#29 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos

#30 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: Well, let's look at it like this. In Inf-Crusade, Mephisto "got mad" because Thanos didn't provide him the Cosmic Cube. Why would Mephisto need a Cosmic Cube when during SS2, he captured Eternity using his own power to best the Beyonder? Kind of contradicts the purpose for needing the Cube, unless he only did it, just to play along with the event like he always does.

#31 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll get back to you when I have the scans.

#32 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: Looking forward to it.

#33 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio
@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

@ripcurl said:

In Hades, as You know, Hell-Lords are much more powerfull. 
Even since it was created over 3 years ago - I'm the OP ;-)
So, no - his fight with Galactus doesn't matter here, since only feats that weren't shown in their realms counts. Thanos doesn't have his own realm, but Mephisto does. In this fight all things that he has done in Hell - doesn't count.
#34 Posted by Immortal777 (7568 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

#35 Edited by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@czarny_samael666 said:

@ripcurl said:

In Hades, as You know, Hell-Lords are much more powerfull. Even since it was created over 3 years ago - I'm the OP ;-) So, no - his fight with Galactus doesn't matter here, since only feats that weren't shown in their realms counts. Thanos doesn't have his own realm, but Mephisto does. In this fight all things that he has done in Hell - doesn't count.

Indeed, sobeit as it may, the battle still affected the physical realm of that of which where Thanos exist on. Let's look at the battle one time:

Physical Universe being affected as galaxies shake and planest and stars explode
"Galaxies" ergo more than one galaxy, tremebling in this fight between Galactus and Mephisto that isn't even taking place in the universe.

I mean, Mephisto can affect it inside or outside his realm.

So, yes, I'll respect your rules, but I just wanted to be clear that Mephisto can still beat Thanos, even when he is in the Physical Plane.

#36 Posted by Freefa11 (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto in-character roll works as playing along other characters' delemas to test those characters will. Thanos provided that he out smarted Mephisto.... That gave Mephisto the gratitude to leave him alone. It's just in his character. ALOT OF CHARACTER - Not just Thanos; outsmarted Mephisto and he leaves them be until a next time he comes across them.

So basically... Mephisto got cheated out of a profoundly powerful cosmic artifact, and you're saying he was happy about it?

I don't suppose you actually have any evidence to support this position? Because frankly, it sounds a lot like you just made it up. Which you seem to do a lot, from what I can tell.

Mephisto, out of his realm, is also nowhere near as powerful as Galactus. Pretty much everyone knows this. Like I said, I think his best feat is defeating the Surfer. If you've actually seen him perform better feats out of his realm, feel free to share.

What instance are you referring to with Eternity? It sounds like Secret Wars 2, but if that's the case, Mephisto did not trap or subdue Eternity at all; Eternity volunteered to help defeat the Beyonder. Eternity was one of the cosmic beings who begged Molecule Man to fight the Beyonder for them.

#37 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

mephisto wins

#38 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11 said:

So basically... Mephisto got cheated out of a profoundly powerful cosmic artifact, and you're saying he was happy about it?

I don't suppose you actually have any evidence to support this position? Because frankly, it sounds a lot like you just made it up. Which you seem to do a lot, from what I can tell.

Mephisto, out of his realm, is also nowhere near as powerful as Galactus. Pretty much everyone knows this. Like I said, I think his best feat is defeating the Surfer. If you've actually seen him perform better feats out of his realm, feel free to share.

What instance are you referring to with Eternity? It sounds like Secret Wars 2, but if that's the case, Mephisto did not trap or subdue Eternity at all; Eternity volunteered to help defeat the Beyonder. Eternity was one of the cosmic beings who begged Molecule Man to fight the Beyonder for them.

Mephisto out of all his history has never played out of character to force death upon anyone hero without 1st testing them. I'm sure you know this. All he wants are souls, but he takes them through his trails if the subjects were to fail. That's how he works when he goes to the physical plane or his plane all the same. If we go by what you say, then that would suggest that Mephisto didn't allow physical defeat by Thor, and street levelers around the world. He allowed them them to do that because it was a part of the act that he has staged. About SS2, you're right, Eternity did volunteer, but the machine was indeed created by Mephisto which was in his power, powerful enough to absorb and hold the power of Beyonder for a short time beofre allowing it to feedback at Beyonder.... However, if the event when as he had planned it, Eternity would still have been critically injured if not destroyed.

#39 Posted by Sophisticated_Ignorance (195 posts) - - Show Bio

The devil wins.

#40 Posted by TheDarkLord_267 (121 posts) - - Show Bio
THANOS
#41 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11 said:

Oh and here's the evidence that he always pretends defeat (physically but not but not mindfully).

So yes I know this through memory, but sometimes memory can be clouded and needed to be fine tuned. After all these comics are old so its not fair to take someones memory as making things up because despite some bumps, you have to give me some credit for mentioning things that the populace of this site hasn't even heard of before. So I am introducing to you now, that Mephisto does these staged events on purpose and therefore pleased at the event with Thanos and the Cosmic Cube that I've mentioned earlier.

#42 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG...

#43 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what you call this.

I call it RUNNING AWAY.

#44 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: The very fact that Mephisto said you will regret this one day and Thanos said Perhaps I will says more to me that Thanos can match him.

Do you expect Mephisto to attack blindly? Thats not his character. Thanos proved he met the bargain they had. Mephisto had no right or reason to attack. Truthfully Mephisto ussaly always lets others due his work for him too. Its his character you blatantly showed....

#45 Posted by First_Last (403 posts) - - Show Bio

That scan clearly shows Mephisto attempting to destroy Thanos via the cosmic cube. That combined with his whining, fleeing and decision not to attack further (under his own power) leads me to believe he doesn't feel himself capable of defeating the Titan without an additional power boost of some sort. Had the cube been functional he would have carried thru with his threat. The fact that Thanos even turned his back on him and sat down shows that Thanos was supremely confident in his ability to deal with Mephisto. The fact that Mephisto got punked out and did nothing (after failing in his attempted assault with the CC) clearly shows that Mephisto is not confident that he could deal with Thanos. He even goes as far as to say that someday you will pay cause he knew he sure couldn't make him pay that day.

Since this bout is outside of Mephistos domain imo it clearly favors the Mad Titan. Thanos ftw.

#46 Posted by Ultrablastic123 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos wins.

#47 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

@CadenceV2:

That's the worst "logic" I've ever heard.

He doesn't have a reason to attack? Is that why he tries to kill him when he thinks the cosmic cube is functioning?

And if he's so much tougher than Thanos, why doesn't he just attack him without the cube? He obviously wants to kill him.

BECAUSE HE'S NOT TOUGHER THAN THANOS.

Oh right, "that's not in his character". That's a nice excuse to use when you've been proven wrong...

#48 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

I don't know what you call this.

I call it RUNNING AWAY.

Nice scan and thanks, but Mephisto always appears to get mad and run away when even fighting street levels, but that doesn't mean he's afraid of them. He doesn't need the Cosmic Cube to beat Thanos and Thanos knows this. The lesson is that no body out smarts Thanos, and Mephisto left with that in mind to save for a next time.

#49 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

Mephisto
#50 Posted by First_Last (403 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto was to scared to attack a weaker version Thanos, who sat down with his back turned even, under his own power. He was also to scared to even throw the cube at Thanos. Once the Titans eyes lit up Mephisto knew to get out of dodge and not to anger the him and that was a weaker version of Thanos. Death has control of all the dead who aren't sent to oblivion and erased from existence. All Hell Lords rule over a portion of the dead by Deaths grace and allowance. They gain power via souls. Death controls the souls. Hell Lords are at least some what powered by Death. They are functionally Deaths employees. Thanos on the other hand is Deaths lover and currently her personal avatar. Only way Mephisto stands a chance verse Thanos is in his realm. Though he may even lose there since Thanos is sleeping with his Boss lol. this battle is not in Mephistos realm though. In this bout under these conditions current Thanos stomps!