#3 juiceboks  Moderator

How is Wonder Man a Superman ripoff?

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@juiceboks: Wasn't he the very first superman ripoff in marvel?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 juiceboks  Moderator

@darksercate No..because he's not a ripoff. His origin story is nowhere near similar and he doesn't even have a cape.

xXxcarzellxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team supes barely thanks to no void or ds

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Their names are similar, he has a W instead of a S on his chest and they have similar power sets.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Marvel Team stomps.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 juiceboks  Moderator

@juiceboks: Their names are similar, he has a W instead of a S on his chest and they have similar power sets.

Why because they both have Man as a suffix? That's a pretty weak connection. Many heroes had/have their names as a symbol plastered on their costumes. Simon's powerset is nowhere near similar to Clark's. Their likeness begins and ends with Super Strength and Durability.

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darksercate

@juiceboks: How many other character have the suffix "man" and a letter on their chest? Wonderman can also fly... Do you accept blue marvel and sentry as Supe ripoffs? If so why not Wonderman?

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team 1 wreck.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MaZeRaIII
juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@darksercate said:

@juiceboks: How many other character have the suffix "man" and a letter on their chest? Wonderman can also fly... Do you accept blue marvel and sentry as Supe ripoffs? If so why not Wonderman?

Aquaman has it on his belt, Deadman, Wonder Woman has it on her chest as well, Elongated Man had both his initials on his costume, and I'm sure there's many more I can't name off the top of my head and that neither of us are aware of. It was a trend of the time just like catchphrases and tights. Simon couldn't originally fly. The only character here that can be considered a direct rip off of Superman IMO is Gladiator for obvious reasons. Sentry and Blue Marvel can just fly, possess super strength, and wear capes. Their origin stories, powersets as a whole, and overall characterization bears no similarities to Clark.

Edit: I guess Hyperion could be considered one as well given his powerset, but I don't know enough about him to say for sure.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Supermen.

Avatar image for cpt_facepuncher
Cpt_FacePuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel takes the majority. Steel, Superboy and Supergirl can't match up to Superman 1 on 1.

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: So... Wonderman is not a Supe ripoff becuase he doesn't have a cape...

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 juiceboks  Moderator

@darksercate He's also got a completely different powerset, an entirely original origin story, and character development with no similarities to Clark at all. But hey, if you wanna take one sentence out of the paragraph to aggrandize then power to you.

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: He has as much similarities to Superman as Blue Marvel and Sentry do except for the cape... and those 2 are widely considered Superman ripoffs and you didn't argue why they were here so I assumed you had no problem with them being considered Superman ripoffs... I get you changed your argument to only Gladiator and possibly Hyperion for being true Superman ripoffs which I consider a cop out since at first you only had a problem with Wonderman.

So the cape? Yes?

I guess it doesn't really matter opinions are opinions

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 juiceboks  Moderator

@juiceboks: He has as much similarities to Superman as Blue Marvel and Sentry do except for the cape... and those 2 are widely considered Superman ripoffs and you didn't argue why they were here so I assumed you had no problem with them being considered Superman ripoffs... I get you changed your argument to only Gladiator and possibly Hyperion for being true Superman ripoffs which I consider a cop out since at first you only had a problem with Wonderman.

So the cape? Yes?

I guess it doesn't really matter opinions are opinions

My original argument was strictly in reference to Wonder Man then you yourself brought in the other characters for me to comment on. It never changed. I don't see them as Superman ripoffs either but I can understand why some people would believe otherwise. Wonder Man has little to nothing in common with Clark and what they do share is found among literally dozens perhaps hundreds of other superheroes.

Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
Mr_NoFunAllowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: So you see why people see sentry and blue marvel as a superman ripoff but you don't see why Wonderman is a ripoff becuase... cape? Yes?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 juiceboks  Moderator

@juiceboks: So you see why people see sentry and blue marvel as a superman ripoff but you don't see why Wonderman is a ripoff becuase... cape? Yes?

Sure, that's one reason. And it's usually one of the main one's people use to identify a superman ripoff. Cape+Super Strength+Flight=Superman molded character according to a lot of misinformed individuals.

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: So, the reason I categorize Wonderman as a superman ripoff is that:

He has a similar name, he wears a "W" on his chest instead of a "S", he has super strength, durability and Flys.

The only difference between him and Blue Marvels similarities to superman is that oh, Blue Marvel has a cape...

I get that his not a "direct" ripoff of supes like hyperion or Glads.

But I'm sorry, if the cape makes that big of a difference to you then I apologize

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@darksercate: Wonder Man didn't even started with a "W" in his costume, his costume was a red jacket with brown leather pants and sunglasses. He has literally no connection whatsoever to anything Superman-related besides average flying brick powerset. Gladiator on the other hand does have quite a few similarities same as Hyperion and Sentry.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 juiceboks  Moderator

@juiceboks: So, the reason I categorize Wonderman as a superman ripoff is that:

He has a similar name, he wears a "W" on his chest instead of a "S", he has super strength, durability and Flys.

The only difference between him and Blue Marvels similarities to superman is that oh, Blue Marvel has a cape...

I get that his not a "direct" ripoff of supes like hyperion or Glads.

But I'm sorry, if the cape makes that big of a difference to you then I apologize

His name is part of a trend that thousands of other characters share, same with using his name as a symbol as I've already explained. This is not criteria that I use to determine a Superman ripoff, what I outlined in my previous post is what people generally associate with a Superman ripoff. Wonder Man doesn't have a cape, he originally couldn't fly and the way he does now is completely different than Clark's method.

You're completely missing the points I'm making, and this back and forth has gone on way too long. But eh, whatever keeps your thread on the front page right?

Darksercate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Darksercate

@juiceboks: lol your to funny. This back and force you started my friend. I'm defending my thread and my reasoning it's not even a good thread apparently, everyone thinks marvel will stomp so...

Whatever you said people most associate with a superman ripoff was cape+super strength+flight= superman ripoff.

Really dude? No one associates people like that as a superman ripoff... you know why? Becuase then people would think vision was a superman ripoff or Captain Mar-vell or Quasar...

It's the fact he has the name and symbol similarity as well...

If you don't believe me look at this thread, WonderMan is listed on there a couple of times with a long list of superman ripoffs...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/name-10-rip-off-characters-and-who-they-are-a-rip--641144/

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry can solo.

Marvel stomps like there is no tomorrow.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry can solo.

Marvel stomps like there is no tomorrow.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

doomsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1