Marvel / DC chess tournament - who will prevail?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

Place: the chessboard

Contestants:

MARVEL DIVISION

Reed Richards vs. Tony Stark Winner plays winner of... Bruce Banner vs. Beast

DC DIVISION

Bruce Wayne vs. Lex Luthor Winner plays winner of... Ray Palmer vs. Cyborg

Rules: Each match-up is a best out of 3. The game is chess. If you can't tell from above, the winner of the Richards/Stark match-up plays the winner of the other match-up in their division. Similar setup for DC. Ultimately, a winner will emerge from the Marvel Division to play the winner of the DC Division.

You can tell me who wins round-by-round, or you can just tell me who you think will take home the chess championship! GO!

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CalebHara

Reed Richards Edges Tony

Bruce Edges Beast

Richards beats Banner

-------------------------------------------------

Bruce edges Luthor (best match here imo)

Cyborg beats Palmer

Bruce beats Cyborg

-------------------------------------------------

Bruce edges Richards

I gave this to Bruce over Richard's in the end due to the fact that Bruce seems superior to him tactically and strategically, while Richards seems to edge bruce in his creativity and construction of technology.

This is a cool thread, and btw, how do you get those little animated figures?

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Esquire

@CalebHara:

Tony dominates Reed. Pretty sure I can dig up scans of Tony beating Richards in multiple games at the same time.

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CalebHara

@Esquire: Ok, If you can show me the scans, i will change my answer

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Esquire

@CalebHara: You rang?

At least five games at the same time. He leaves before they're finished, actually, but he puts Reed in check on every board and Richards is baffled.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reignmaker

@Esquire said:

@CalebHara: You rang?

At least five games at the same time. He leaves before they're finished, actually, but he puts Reed in check on every board and Richards is baffled.

Interesting. So do you think Tony wins the whole thing then?

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Esquire

@Reignmaker said:

Interesting. So do you think Tony wins the whole thing then?

Chess is such a strange phenomenon. It's not really representative of pure intelligence, it's part strategy and part prediction and part probability and part pure calculation of possibilities. I feel like Lex could have the right mixture to be a dominant chess player, like he was is Red Son. I don't really see it as something Wayne would play, since it's really pretty restricted. I could see him godstomping people in something like Go, though. Cyborg seems a little out of place here, and Palmer isn't so much a strategist, either. Neither Banner nor Beast are particularly strategic, although it seems like the sort of thing Beast would enjoy. Long story short, I would guess it would be Tony taking a slim majority over Lex, with the off-chance of Batman running the table.

Also, I feel like Reed could compute every possible move for every possible game in his head, and never lose. But Tony surprised him, so obviously he can't/doesn't. Amadeus Cho, maybe? That sort of computation is his forte. And Midnighter would be literally unbeatable in chess.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By reignmaker

@Esquire said:

Also, I feel like Reed could compute every possible move for every possible game in his head, and never lose.

It's funny, but in my mind this is why Cyborg would win. He's basically a human computer and I imagine he could do this quite effortlessly. In real life, we've reached a point where grand master chess players are frequently losing to highly specialized computer programs.

Still, I guess there's always that human element of unpredictability - as was demonstrated by Tony.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Esquire

@Reignmaker: That's a really good point. I didn't think of that. I feel like, since there are a finite number of scenarios, there is a literally optimal move in every situation, if you were able to calculate every eventuality. So maybe Cyborg actually can win this!