#51 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@isaac_clarke: While the frost giant hammer strike IS impressive I have to take it with a grain of salt because...well it is a bunch of ice...

Something like miles of ice; either way it gives you something to work with given Thor really have no challenges worth mentioning in his own film. The major fight your expecting out of the Destroyer turned into him lifting it in the air, powering through it's laser beam and then caving it's head in a single strike.

Superman works them.

While we have no true definitive strength feat that puts Superman above Hulk and Thor (Best I could think of at the moment is the train feat and the oil rig feat), the combination of his speed, aerial superiority, durability, and heat vision should make for a clear victory for Superman

How about that eiffel tower showing from the trailer?

#52 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9728 posts) - - Show Bio

@isaac_clarke:

Do you mean the buildings that Zod and Superman knocked down?

#53 Edited by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@isaac_clarke: While the frost giant hammer strike IS impressive I have to take it with a grain of salt because...well it is a bunch of ice...

Something like miles of ice; either way it gives you something to work with given Thor really have no challenges worth mentioning in his own film. The major fight your expecting out of the Destroyer turned into him lifting it in the air, powering through it's laser beam and then caving it's head in a single strike.

@buttersdaman000 said:

Superman works them.

While we have no true definitive strength feat that puts Superman above Hulk and Thor (Best I could think of at the moment is the train feat and the oil rig feat), the combination of his speed, aerial superiority, durability, and heat vision should make for a clear victory for Superman

True I'd say his better showings are in the Avengers movie(feat wise).

Also the eiffel tower showing is actually the oil rig. While there are no really solid strength feats there is the kryptonians throwing around train cars, kicking big rigs, and punching through planes like it's nothing. Also their durability is insane. Kal nor Zod showed any signs of really slowing down after punching through multiple skyscrapers/buildings.

#54 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Also the eiffel tower showing is actually the oil rig. While there are no really solid strength feats there is the kryptonians throwing around train cars, kicking big rigs, and punching through planes like it's nothing. Also their durability is insane. Kal nor Zod showed any signs of really slowing down after punching through multiple skyscrapers/buildings.

That was an oil rig? Whoops.

@isaac_clarke:

Do you mean the buildings that Zod and Superman knocked down?

I was just going by the trailer and was under the impression that for some godly unknown reason Superman was in Paris. Won't be seeing this till later tonight anyhow - so consider my opinions on what Kal is lifting till then with a grain salt.

#55 Edited by buttersdaman000 (9728 posts) - - Show Bio

If we could somehow calculate the gravity effect of the World Engine(?) that might be a pretty high strength feat

@isaac_clarke: Got it

#56 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@citizenbane said:

Yeaaaaah, Superman stomps.

Still? is he that Powerful?

Pretty powerful. Levels skyscrapers as side-effects of clashing with Zod, withstands gravity fields designed to terraform the planet (and which made mincemeat of large portions of New York), and very fast to boot (although none of his speed feats were as cool as this one scene where Faora blitzes a squad of soldiers, that was awesome).

Faora stole the show for me, and of course she made me think of Majestic, hahaha. She was fighting almost like a video game character at one point.

#57 Edited by RisingBean (3978 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery: While I'll take your word for it she was hurting from the sensory overload it seemed, and the missile exploded and she was laid out. Supes moved out of the way quickly, and while the Brute wasn't hurt in any lasting capacity, he was still thrown around by the impact.

#58 Edited by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of the day.. It becomes a durability test for Thor and Hulk.. Can they handle the beating ! Hulk showed he could take some licks .. Then over power (Abomination) and he can take metal uru to the chin from a god ! Thor really hasn't shown anything other than he can take licks from Hulk with ease and vise versa. ! Neither of the three can knock the other out !

#59 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of the day.. It becomes a durability test for Thor and Hulk.. Can they handle the beating ! Hulk showed he could take some licks .. Then over power (Abomination) and he can take metal uru to the chin from a god ! Thor really hasn't shown anything other than he can take licks from Hulk with ease and vise versa. ! Neither of the three can knock the other out !

Except for Kal-El.

#60 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite:

We know Kal can take the beating.. His whole fight was basically "passing licks" playing punchies with a friend or something.. You feel it but it doesn't really hurt ! I just wanted one of them to show even a glimpse of pain or struggle ! Didn't happen lol

#61 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite:

We know Kal can take the beating.. His whole fight was basically "passing licks" playing punchies with a friend or something.. You feel it but it doesn't really hurt ! I just wanted one of them to show even a glimpse of pain or struggle ! Didn't happen lol

You mean like the fight between Thor and Hulk?

#62 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio
#63 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Edited by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman.

Thor is the biggest threat. Hulk is kind of a threat, but honestly, I compare him to the big guy who Superman fought in Smallville with Faora. I would even argue that that guy was probably more durable and faster.

#66 Posted by Bezza (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

The trouble here is that the Hulk and Thor seem to have been de-powered for the Avengers Movie. I mean that's twice now that Hulk has failed to smash open the cockpit glass on a jet fighter and fallen off.! So I guess MOS takes this fight if its the Film version of the Avengers, but if it was the comic versions, especially if it was WW Hulk, then Supes would have his hands full and I'm not sure how that one would go, simply because you can't put down WW hulk as the Sentry found out. Only chance Supes would have would be to fly Hulk into space and he tried that against Doomsday in the comic and failed, so that strategy might not work!

#67 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

The trouble here is that the Hulk and Thor seem to have been de-powered for the Avengers Movie. I mean that's twice now that Hulk has failed to smash open the cockpit glass on a jet fighter and fallen off.! So I guess MOS takes this fight if its the Film version of the Avengers, but if it was the comic versions, especially if it was WW Hulk, then Supes would have his hands full and I'm not sure how that one would go, simply because you can't put down WW hulk as the Sentry found out. Only chance Supes would have would be to fly Hulk into space and he tried that against Doomsday in the comic and failed, so that strategy might not work!

That latter half was pointless seeing how we already established that we were using the movie versions.

#68 Posted by thanosii (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people are forgetting about hulks durability like tanking a nuclear weapon in his battle with his father or abomination tanking missiles to the face. That's better than supes also Thor was fast enough to deflect lasers from destroyer.

Thor also was tossing cars in avengers and taking out 20 story high monsters with lightning

#69 Posted by thanosii (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people are forgetting about hulks durability like tanking a nuclear weapon in his battle with his father or abomination tanking missiles to the face. That's better than supes also Thor was fast enough to deflect lasers from destroyer.

Thor also was tossing cars in avengers and taking out 20 story high monsters with lightning

#70 Posted by war of light_2814 (823 posts) - - Show Bio
@thanosii said:

03 Hulk film isn't a part of Marvel Cinematic Universe.

#71 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that Superman can just blitz Thor. Thor has never blitzed anyone but he has deflected laser beams from the chitauri so he should be able to handle Superman speed blitz fury without much trouble.

I think the avengers can take them because I'm not even sure Supes can take out Thor by himself.

Tony would just lock n load on Superman while hes fighting Thor and hammer him with his mega weapons. Wheb Superman falls Thor is on him at light speed pounding him until Hulk joins in on the pummeling and Kal is done for.

#72 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that Superman can just blitz Thor. Thor has never blitzed anyone but he has deflected laser beams from the chitauri so he should be able to handle Superman speed blitz fury without much trouble.

I think the avengers can take them because I'm not even sure Supes can take out Thor by himself.

Tony would just lock n load on Superman while hes fighting Thor and hammer him with his mega weapons. Wheb Superman falls Thor is on him at light speed pounding him until Hulk joins in on the pummeling and Kal is done for.

And Cap (a low-tier superhuman) was fast enough to dodge and shield himself from the Chitauri's beams. It's hardly a credible argument for Thor's speed. Superman was hitting supersonic speeds and just blitzing in combat.

And Tony's weapons aren't gonna do squat against Clark. The closest thing he has in his arsenal is that anti-armor rocket in his arm, and that only blew up the Leviathan after Hulk smashed it to bits. Also, I think he only has one of those.

#73 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of the film, Clark was still pushing his limits and his powers and he isn't as powerful at one point as he is at a later point in the film. Same goes for Zod and the other Kryptonians.

@thanosii said:

Tanking a nuclear weapon? Are you referring to the Ang Lee film? Those Hulks are completely different. Thor never tossed cars in the Avengers, he threw effort into an uppercut with his hammer that sent it twirling towards a few chitauri. Additionally, he only took out the Chitauri transport ships using the building as a conductor to strengthen his lightning attacks.

People also seem to forget that Clark managed to fight against a teraforming device that flattened Superman in the ground as well as replicating the Kryptonian environment and as such, was sapping his power. Yet, he still managed to fight against it and rip straight through the device.

#74 Posted by Hyperlight (5827 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest i didn't see anything form man of steel that would make me thing Thor couldn't take him by himself. Faora and Non were putting a whooping on Supes even though they had there powers for all of an hour lol. They were definitely on a learning curve being soldiers but that shouldn't have been too much of a problem. movie hulk could have given them a better fight since the kryptonians weren't taking advantage of there super speed that much in this movies and his strength feats were on par with theirs. Thor on the other hand is just more powerful. Faora was knocked out from a missile... I'm pretty sure the power of moljnir is enough to put any kryptonian down. if thor doesnt do it by himself... the duo could definitely put him down

#75 Edited by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

This still goes on... smh

#76 Posted by X_insignia1 (1393 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest i didn't see anything form man of steel that would make me thing Thor couldn't take him by himself. Faora and Non were putting a whooping on Supes even though they had there powers for all of an hour lol. They were definitely on a learning curve being soldiers but that shouldn't have been too much of a problem. movie hulk could have given them a better fight since the kryptonians weren't taking advantage of there super speed that much in this movies and his strength feats were on par with theirs. Thor on the other hand is just more powerful. Faora was knocked out from a missile... I'm pretty sure the power of moljnir is enough to put any kryptonian down. if thor doesnt do it by himself... the duo could definitely put him down

Faora was knocked out due her mask destroyed, which caused her sensory overload. The masked hones their senses, since they were noobs with their powers they were unable to hone them by themselves, as of to where Clark learned to hone his at a young age. Even Zod suffered from sensory overload.

#77 Posted by Hyperlight (5827 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_insignia1:

oh okay thanks i must have missed that. but i havent seen anything that would make me think they can take a hit ot the powers of thors hammer

#78 Posted by Immortal777 (7582 posts) - - Show Bio

After watching the movie today I say.................................... Faora stomps she was fantastic in the movie but yea Superman wins this battle.

#79 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the movie twice today... Making it three times I saw.

I have to say,

1) Superman resisted anti-gravity that leveled hundreds of cars higher than the skyscrapers in Metropolis.

2) Superman was able to survive being thrown threw buildings and he was ok.

3) he flew from Earth's surface to space in 12 seconds. That's 348 miles/12 seconds

Or: 29 miles / second.

1,740 miles. / minute

104,400 miles / hour !!!!!

That is: Mach 135 or 135x the speed of sound.

No ask yourselves Marvel fans, since when has The Avengers taken on guys with that amount of speed?

#80 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman wins.

#81 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

People also seem to forget that Clark managed to fight against a teraforming device that flattened Superman in the ground as well as replicating the Kryptonian environment and as such, was sapping his power. Yet, he still managed to fight against it and rip straight through the device.

Effort's a bit strong of a word to put into that strike given his previous striking power feats in that film. Quite literally hitting the shield that cancels out vibrations obliterated the trees around him, Stark and Cap (and given the properties of that shield - no matter how you slice it that strike wasn't even his best). And given how a swing of that hammer absolutely floored the Hulk who was trashing giant space-whales in single hits - good chance it was no where near requiring effort to toss that car over with a minor swing. It's like saying he's putting effort into the swings that are tossing around Chitauri like ragdolls during that same scene.

Strengthen is a bit situational - the building acted like a good lightning rod for him to more or less fire that massive beam of lightning - but a person could serve as probably equally as good as a target for that lightning. He also was killing them with the Hulk - a single strike to a shard of metal killed one pretty easily.

#82 Posted by King Saturn (224189 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think The Avengers could beat Superman... considering how durable Superman was he would probably run through all of them.

That being said, I still think film for film... The Avengers was better than Man of Steel.

#83 Posted by cooljammy18 (961 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the movie twice today... Making it three times I saw.

I have to say,

1) Superman resisted anti-gravity that leveled hundreds of cars higher than the skyscrapers in Metropolis.

2) Superman was able to survive being thrown threw buildings and he was ok.

3) he flew from Earth's surface to space in 12 seconds. That's 348 miles/12 seconds

Or: 29 miles / second.

1,740 miles. / minute

104,400 miles / hour !!!!!

That is: Mach 135 or 135x the speed of sound.

No ask yourselves Marvel fans, since when has The Avengers taken on guys with that amount of speed?

LOL nice. Some people seem to be in denial, but Superman honestly takes this.

#84 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think The Avengers could beat Superman... considering how durable Superman was he would probably run through all of them.

That being said, I still think film for film... The Avengers was better than Man of Steel.

I'd say it's a bit of a toss up given their showings.

The latter portion is a bit situation depending on one's investment in the characters prior. I personally doubt anything in MOS could quite be captivating as the magic behind the Avengers finally assembling on screen myself. Now a Justice League assembling might have that same magic with a proper musical score.

#85 Posted by Lunacyde (19085 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sorry but first of all the only Avengers who matter at all are Hulk and Thor. If we look at the effect of their strikes on each other it is pretty clear Thor and Hulk cannot provide as much force in their blows as Kal-El. Secondly Kal has a significant speed advantage over both. Someone quoted Thor reacting to the Destroyer's beam was a speed feat...that beam was slow setting up I could have reacted to it. Thor and Hulk will land a few blows but honestly Kal can get in 5 for every one they can. Them there is Kal's durability which honestly allowed him to trade blows that destroyed half of metropolis without slowing down.

#86 Posted by Diamondlifer1 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

superman narrowly

#87 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't add Sentry or Black bolt nothing they can do here.

#88 Edited by BWANASIMBA (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4: Not to mention he flew out of the wormhole that was absorbing all of the Kryptonians and everything nearby into the Phantom Zone with Lois in his arms and when he was learning how to fly he accidentally smashed the top of a mountain.

#89 Posted by Fifthchild (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight said:

Faora was knocked out due her mask destroyed, which caused her sensory overload. The masked hones their senses, since they were noobs with their powers they were unable to hone them by themselves, as of to where Clark learned to hone his at a young age. Even Zod suffered from sensory overload.

I'll be honest - I havent seen the film yet but i've seen this explanation passed around a few boards and it has the smell of a fan made excuse for a Superman level character getting KO-ed by a human missile. From what Ive heard the big Kryptonian is also troubled by the sort of aircraft fire that Hulk wades through in The Avengers.

Obviously i'll have to wait till i see it to make my own mind up but, from what i've heard and read it sounds like this is much less of a sure thing than people are making out.

#90 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Question: what did the Avengers have on MoS, besides the hope that this is where the Marvel Cinematic Universe starts to get good?

#91 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

I'd say it's a bit of a toss up given their showings.

The latter portion is a bit situation depending on one's investment in the characters prior. I personally doubt anything in MOS could quite be captivating as the magic behind the Avengers finally assembling on screen myself. Now a Justice League assembling might have that same magic with a proper musical score.

So, I'm assuming you haven't seen it yet?

#92 Posted by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has good long distance travel speed since he flies by throwing his hammer and then hanging on the handle for the ride.

Hulk has shown super jumps in to space yet but he's shown some good jumps for being confined to relatively small space, a city, fighting aliens baddies alongside the rest of his teammates during an alien invasion. Hulk's limited to hypersonic speeds anyway due to the pressure his super-strong legs put on the ground. Long distance travel-speed is not Hulk 's strong point.

Anyway, long distance travel is not the point. Flight speed is one thing. Combat speed is another.

Thor, Hulk, And Superman are all packing power of nuclear proportions in their muscles so they can all throw blows at light speed and greater.

And here's the thing about "speed blitzing"

You can't run and punch at the exact same time. You have to stop just long enough to punch, no matter how brief. Having superhuman speed does not make you a living laser. You still have human anatomy and the physics of that.

Thrusting your arms fast? Easy!

Maintaining your striking at top speed, while using extremely high repititions per unit of time? Impossible! Why? Because striking at top speed consumes the majority of your energy, therefore, using high reps while doing so would be using energy that you don't have. If you use high reps, the power packed in every punch will not be your maximum. The sacrifice for using extremely high reps is your punching power.

it's quantity vs quality. Would you prefer a really high number of weaker punches per unit of time or fewer but faster/more powerful punches?

Thrusting your arms while and the rest of your body with your legs at the same time? That's impossible with human anatomy(or any kind of anatomy).

And trying to stop on a dime at top speed and then accelerate back to top speed instantly while changing direction? Also impossible.

And so....

People saying a fight between Hulk, Thor and Superman isn't even and fair to start with couldn't be anymore wrong.

#93 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

@king_saturn said:

Question: what did the Avengers have on MoS, besides the hope that this is where the Marvel Cinematic Universe starts to get good?

The fact that it was able to focus in on characters that weren't just the main, which is a problem that MoS had.

It wasn't badly directed and it didn't suffer from horrid pacing issues

While the city WAS destroyed, it wasn't caused by the Avengers for the most part.

#94 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

People saying a fight between Hulk, Thor and Superman isn't even and fair to start with couldn't be anymore wrong.

Considering we're using Movie Versions here...it sounds like YOUR the one who couldn't be anymore wrong.

#95 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@walzo said:

@perezite said:

@king_saturn said:

The fact that it was able to focus in on characters that weren't just the main

Pfff...yeah. BARELY. If you hadn't seen all of the other movies leading up to it, odds are you'd be a lot more in the dark about who these characters are and why you should care The Avengers isn't nearly as strong as it is.

#96 Edited by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

@walzo said:

@perezite said:

@king_saturn said:

Pfff...yeah. BARELY. If you hadn't seen all of the other movies leading up to it, odds are you'd be a lot more in the dark about who these characters are and why you should care The Avengers isn't nearly as strong as it is.

The movie STILL manages to tell you exactly who those characters are, their personalities and their abilities. AND it manages to develop Coulson as a character, Black Widow's and Hawkeye's relationship, and how Nick Fury acts.

#97 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@walzo said:

@perezite said:

@walzo said:

@perezite said:

@king_saturn said:

The movie STILL manages to tell you exactly who those characters are, their personalities and their abilities. AND it manages to develop Coulson as a character, Black Widow's and Hawkeye's relationship, and how Nick Fury acts.

And without any of the other Marvel movies before it backing it up, it's still not as good. Sure, it managed to bail out Tony from the stinker with potential called Iron Man 2, but the point remains that the Avengers is a Capstone. A beautiful capstone. A capstone that gives me hope that Guardians of the Galaxy will be half-way decent despite the Guardians being about as good at keeping destruction to a minimum in the milky way as the Nova Corp. But still, a capstone is only as good as the structure which supports it (the weakest link being Iron Man 2, but I digress) and, without that structure, you have a good end, but with no beginning and middle part (IE, the establishment of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk) to make it truly spectacular.

Now that I think about it, that's sort of a meta-quality, ain't it.

#98 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Effort's a bit strong of a word to put into that strike given his previous striking power feats in that film. Quite literally hitting the shield that cancels out vibrations obliterated the trees around him, Stark and Cap (and given the properties of that shield - no matter how you slice it that strike wasn't even his best). And given how a swing of that hammer absolutely floored the Hulk who was trashing giant space-whales in single hits - good chance it was no where near requiring effort to toss that car over with a minor swing. It's like saying he's putting effort into the swings that are tossing around Chitauri like ragdolls during that same scene.

Strengthen is a bit situational - the building acted like a good lightning rod for him to more or less fire that massive beam of lightning - but a person could serve as probably equally as good as a target for that lightning. He also was killing them with the Hulk - a single strike to a shard of metal killed one pretty easily.

I would never insinuate that Thor utilized any straining effort or really any that would slow him down, but enough to send the car flying a great deal, which was impressive in that situation but meant little in comparison to what was shown with the Kryptonians. Obviously, it was a low end feat for Thor but I would like to see how they further handle the character throughout The Dark World.

I would have to entirely take back my statement regarding the lightning attacks used against the Chitauri. I originally assumed that he was using the conductor to potentially build up power to launch back through Mjolnir but that's debatable as it was shown to absorb straight through his hammer and straight back out. The building merely acted as the lightning rod. Not stating or down-playing against Thor, merely pointing out my original mistake.

#99 Edited by Djangophile (275 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman in Man of Steel was unable to lift a few hundred tons, Hulk and Thor from the movies would rip him in half and eat him without a hint of a problem. Comic versions would obliterate him to no end. Immensely unfair. Cavils Superman is a sissy, does nothing but whine and stuggle to lift a small portion of an oil rig. Sad and pathetic. Thor would punch a hole right through him, easy. Superman and Zods laser vision couldn't cut through solid wall rock at the last scene, nor could it cut through Zods ship. Just like Tony Starks Lasers couldnt cut through the giant worm things in Avengers. Cavil would have trouble with Iron Man, Hulk and Thor are overkill.

#100 Edited by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite:

Well yes, without the other movies it isn't quite as good. But that's why those movies exist. It's why a JLA movie doesn't work, because you can't introduce those characters and then go on.

The Avengers was arguably MEANT to be watched with those movies in mind. Otherwise what was the point of making them if they could just introduce all of them and go on it. No, Marvel had a plan going in before making that movie, and it was a plan they succeeded in. Even if someone hadn't seen the other movies, they could still recognize that it was a great movie. Hell, I know several people who saw it and loved it, and then proceeded to watch the other movies.

Man of Steel was a meh movie because of it's lack of character development besides the main three, bad directing and horrid pacing issues. It had nice moments, but none that made me have goosebumps.