Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By willpayton

Magneto vs Dr Manhattan

...vs...

Random encounter, no knowledge, no BFR.

Dr. M is movie version, Magneto is at the peak of his powers.

Who wins?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think there on the same level

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is this movie Manhattan?

I'm inclined to go with the Doc. Even if Magneto manipulates the electromagnetic spectrum and tears Manhattan apart on the subatomic level, Doc can easily reform himself. Given that this is a random encounter, Manhattan could easily disintegrate him. Also, present Magneto is unable to fully control his powers, and he's no longer in his prime.

Captain_Clown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can Mags hurt Dr M, and how can Mags prevent Dr M from instantly killing him? Doesn't seem like much of a fight.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Is this movie Manhattan?

I'm inclined to go with the Doc. Even if Magneto manipulates the electromagnetic spectrum and tears Manhattan apart on the subatomic level, Doc can easily reform himself. Given that this is a random encounter, Manhattan could easily disintegrate him. Also, present Magneto is unable to fully control his powers, and he's no longer in his prime.

Edited OP. Dr. Manhattan is movie version. Magneto is his most powerful version.

momo111191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still a stomp for DR. M i dont see how magneto stops him

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Veshark

I admit that I don't have a particularly in-depth knowledge of either character, but I'd still wage for Dr. Manhattan.

Manhattan simply displays more versatility, from reassembling his molecules to size increase to making duplicate copies of himself. Added to that would be his precognition, so he would already know how the battle would play out. Given that this is a random encounter, I don't think Magneto would go all out initially. But Manhattan would already be able to see the battle's conclusion, so he could just blow Magneto up with a thought.

I have read that Magneto can control his entire body down to the subatomic level, so maybe he could prevent himself from imploding. I don't know to what extent his control is though - could Manhattan possibly circumvent this through sheer power? Another factor is Magneto's force-field, which is powerful enough to block out teleporters and phasers apparently. I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold back Manhattan's power - though I've read it's also blocked TK before.

I suppose one could make the argument that by manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum, Magneto could create tachyons (it's subatomic so Magneto should be able to, hell, I don't know - physics was never my strong suit). This would block Manhattan's ability to see the future, thereby granting a level playing field. But that's under the premise that Magneto even knows anything about his opponent, which he doesn't, so I'd still give this to Osterman.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By willpayton

bump

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Wyldsong

@veshark said:

Is this movie Manhattan?

Just on the disintegration bit, but from scans I have seen, Magneto at his most powerful has rebuilt his body, and can exist is some sort of magnetic/astral form. Not sure if the post was changed before you wrote this, but it does state Mags at his most powerful, not at current level. I'll let someone else make an argument for Mags and clarify these points I have presented if they like, but I just wanted to put that out there. Apparently being a master of magnetism involves a little more than just being able to affect metal=)

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@veshark said:

Is this movie Manhattan?

Just on the disintegration bit, but from scans I have seen, Magneto at his most powerful has rebuilt his body, and can exist is some sort of magnetic/astral form. Not sure if the post was changed before you wrote this, but it does state Mags at his most powerful, not at current level. I'll let someone else make an argument for Mags and clarify these points I have presented if they like, but I just wanted to put that out there. Apparently being a master of magnetism involves a little more than just being able to affect metal=)

Magneto can sort of...transcend his consciousness and attach it to a electromagnetic signal. But he's never been shown to live without a body as far as I've seen.

That being said. Doctor Manhattan should take this. He can multiply, straight up destroy Magneto, and bend matter to his will. That sort of defeats electromagnetic manipulation, and I've seen all of Magneto's crazy feats, and they still don't really stack up to a guy who can turn steel into glass with a thought.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

They're.

And Doc stomps.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Manhattan.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By russellmania77

@logy5000 said:

@russellmania77 said:

They're.

And Doc stomps.

its not english class bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@russellmania77: Normally I'd remind you to capitalize "not" and "english," but I feel that I've done enough here.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay: I wish I could find the thread on where the reforming of his body came from, but I want to say @cadencev2brought it up as a counterpoint to me in another thread. I won't argue movie Manhattan too much though, so I am good whether it is proven or dis-proven.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By willpayton

I'm going with Dr.M too. Just surprised no one has started complaining about feats yet. =)

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wyldsong

@willpayton said:

I'm going with Dr.M too. Just surprised no one has started complaining about feats yet. =)

Don't look at me=P

This is the movie version, I don't have that one documented, and Magneto is not a character I know enough about to even argue=P

Believe it or not, I'd be more inclined to go with Manhattan unless the feats I mentioned are clarified a bit more, or someone makes a good argument for Mags. Manhattan can phase (at least I am assuming the movie showed him doing that) and manipulate matter. I would think he has what he needs to win here -- although Mags has a long history of showings and feats, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone could make a good argument for him here..

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By willpayton

@wyldsong said:

@willpayton said:

Don't look at me=P

This is the movie version, I don't have that one documented, and Magneto is not a character I know enough about to even argue=P

Believe it or not, I'd be more inclined to go with Manhattan unless the feats I mentioned are clarified a bit more, or someone makes a good argument for Mags. Manhattan can phase (at least I am assuming the movie showed him doing that) and manipulate matter. I would think he has what he needs to win here -- although Mags has a long history of showings and feats, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone could make a good argument for him here..

Yes, Manhattan in the movie does pretty much what he does in the comic. The scene where he destroys the tank however is much more impressive in the movie. He does also show the ability to disintegrate humans, phase through solid objects, change his size, teleport, see the future, create multiple copies of himself, telekinesis, matter manipulation, rebuild his body after total disintegration, and more.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't people understand that DM is universal/multiversal?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7 said:

Because there's really no evidence that that's true.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wyldsong

@racob7 said:

DM in the comics is not proven or shown to be anywhere near that level. You would have a hard time proving such considering his showings/benchmarks are nowhere in that arena. The movie...meh...not sure I would agree there either.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@willpayton said:

Don't look at me=P

Yes, Manhattan in the movie does pretty much what he does in the comic. The scene where he destroys the tank however is much more impressive in the movie. He does also show the ability to disintegrate humans, phase through solid objects, change his size, teleport, see the future, create multiple copies of himself, telekinesis, matter manipulation, rebuild his body after total disintegration, and more.

Then I will stick by my statement. Sounds like he has what he needs to pull a win here. For the record, until proven wrong, I would probably side with comic Manhattan as well.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

Then I will stick by my statement. Sounds like he has what he needs to pull a win here. For the record, until proven wrong, I would probably side with comic Manhattan as well.

Dr Manhattan tank scene from movie:

Loading Video...

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wyldsong

@willpayton: Definitely far more impressive than what he did to the tank in the comic=)

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@willpayton: Definitely far more impressive than what he did to the tank in the comic=)

Totally agree, especially with how casually he does it. I think this is why people feel that Manhattan is capable of A LOT more than just what the feats suggest. If you can do something like this with little to no effort, then imagine what you can do if you're really trying hard.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oceanmaster21

IF THIS IS MOVIE VERSION I SAY MAGNETO BUT NOT SURE ALL THE WAY

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chibi_cute

@oceanmaster21: There is nothing magneto can do to harm him. Dr manhattan vaporizes him.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr Manhattan

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers