• 191 results
#151 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: Again bro, what can you do? You make a compelling arguement, you spell it out as simply as the English language allows, and still Magneto's fans completely disregard what has actually happened to the man and/or other members of his race and their inherent vunerability. But you know what really pisses me off? Erik Magnus Lensherr did something very few people ever got the chance to do: He went to Auschwitz and survived! After that, his powers manifest and what does he do? He spends the rest of his worthless life spouting off demogougery about Genetic Superiority and ethnic cleansing. Just like the Nazis he professess to hate while employing their language AND their tactics! It's just like molestation victims who grow up and molest other children. Don't they remember how helpless and violated they felt, just to turn around and become what they pretend to hate? Frustrating. A prep involved battle between Lex Luthor and any member of the race of so-called Homo Sapiens Superior WILL end in their deactivation and execution. Period. If no name scientists in Genosha can do it, Lex can do it with an App on his iPhone.

#152 Posted by IRS (455 posts) - - Show Bio

I am convinced that Lex Luthor is just about the most underrated character on this forum.

Here he is achieving Godhood. And to top it off, if I'm remembering right,he did this in less then a month.

#153 Posted by momo111191 (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: rofl HE IS A VILLAIN JUST LIKE LEX that's kinda what they are suppose to do!!!! and when your a child being brain washed via idk torture yes you get a little messed up. what's lex's excuse again for destroying the world and its greatest hero oh ya A BAD HAIR DAY AND SOME CHILDISH QUARREL.

#154 Posted by Stompa (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: Again bro, what can you do? You make a compelling arguement, you spell it out as simply as the English language allows, and still Magneto's fans completely disregard what has actually happened to the man and/or other members of his race and their inherent vunerability. But you know what really pisses me off? Erik Magnus Lensherr did something very few people ever got the chance to do: He went to Auschwitz and survived! After that, his powers manifest and what does he do? He spends the rest of his worthless life spouting off demogougery about Genetic Superiority and ethnic cleansing. Just like the Nazis he professess to hate while employing their language AND their tactics! It's just like molestation victims who grow up and molest other children. Don't they remember how helpless and violated they felt, just to turn around and become what they pretend to hate? Frustrating. A prep involved battle between Lex Luthor and any member of the race of so-called Homo Sapiens Superior WILL end in their deactivation and execution. Period. If no name scientists in Genosha can do it, Lex can do it with an App on his iPhone.

Sorry that you don´t like Magneto but that´s not the point here. I read ancients arguments and they are very good i just tried to point out that you all simply ignore the fact that Magneto also has prep....i don´t even argue that Lex with prep is a looooot better but you act like Magneto would do nothing at all with the 10 days while Lex would simply reach godhood (and i want to point out if it would be so easy he would do that all the time...) Lex would likely win 7-8 times out of 10 but with prep on Magnetos side there are scenarios where he will win.

#155 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@stompa: Sorry that you don´t like Magneto but that´s not the point here. I read ancients arguments and they are very good i just tried to point out that you all simply ignore the fact that Magneto also has prep....i don´t even argue that Lex with prep is a looooot better but you act like Magneto would do nothing at all with the 10 days while Lex would simply reach godhood (and i want to point out if it would be so easy he would do that all the time...) Lex would likely win 7-8 times out of 10 but with prep on Magnetos side there are scenarios where he will win.

It's not that I don't like Magneto per se, because he IS powerful and he HAS had his brushes with heroism over the past few decades. For me, having personally dealt with both Neo-Nazis and members of the Nation of Islam (among other racial supremisists), when I hear (audiblly) or read the language utillized by these groups about "we're superior to this group or that group, were the Master Race, blah, blah f***ing blah", it's absoluteley repugnant. Considering that Magneto and his so-called Master Race have power sets that can be cut off like a light switch by someone/thing dedicated to that purpose with the greatest of ease, makes him fighting someone who would have no problem doing so and would litter his Warsuit as well as hundreds of miles worth of real estate with the technology (if necessary) a very foolish proposition on his part. I openly admit however, that Magneto could probably take Luthor 6 or 7/10 in a suprise attack.

@momo111191: Lex's initial excuse for world domination is admittidly shallow (see Victor Von Doom for more details...), but his meglomania also stems from the fact that he's a very brilliant man with extraordinary resources and he truly believes that he can run the world better than anyone else. But not because he's allegedly genetically superior to the rest of us, his God complex stems from the fact that he knows he's smarter than the rest of us.

#156 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

@irs said:

I am convinced that Lex Luthor is just about the most underrated character on this forum.

Here he is achieving Godhood. And to top it off, if I'm remembering right,he did this in less then a month.

Luthor didn't achieve this on his own.

#158 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@momo111191: Let me be a bit more specific... I was speaking of my own personal encounters with members of those organizations. In respect to the Nation of Islam, in my area the members and leadership of this organization have been very vocal about their dislike/distrust of whites, Jews, and other minorities. Is that a reflection on the entire worldwide organization? I certainly hope not, because that would be counterproductive to its desire to both grow and attract more members/converts. No, I was merely speaking of my own personal experience with people who profess allegience to that organization. Are they really? Who knows, but splinter groups often arise after a primary group is established, if only to give an air of credibility to the splinter group. I know all about Malcolm. I read his autobiography back in the third grade without a teacher making me do so. I know all about Stokely Carmichael (R.I.P.) because I did at least two papers on him back in both Middle and High School. As a Black man, Black History (for me at least) is much more than 28 or 29 days a year. Yes, it very well could be that the men I have encountered are either wannabes riding the coattails of the NOI's name, or they could be the proverbial "Bad Apples" that spoil the rest of the bunch. I did'nt even ask which of the two they were because their relentless put downs of people who did'nt look like them soured my stomach.

Mathematically, I simply have'nt met or had coffee with every member of the NOI. I absolutely hope and pray they don't all behave and speak like those meatheads who, as I said before, could have been "bad apples" or outright wannabees using the NOI name to get street cred. I consider myself a passionate person. So i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that your post was written as a passionate outburst rather than a purposeful attempt to be hurtful, considering the fact that my previous post did'nt go into this much detail over my experience with the people i've encountered. One thing is certain though, momo:You have my guarantee that I will never, ever, use the language you used against me, against you or any other 'Viner under any circumstances. Hopefully, you have a better understanding of what I was trying to get across in my earlier post.

#159 Posted by darksoul7th (210 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Lex Luthor can pulled this one! Reason is why because I personally think that he can out smart Magneto!!

#160 Posted by momo111191 (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: At the end of the day you should have called them what they are, the young stupid moron extremists that live next to me. And you don't need to swear to be extremely hurtful, i know several people who have suffered in or had strong ties with the civil rights movement and they would have been crushed to see your comparison (you have no idea). I personally feel that you should watch where you group the term Islam in this country with the extremely unjust and bad stigma it reserves but this is not the place to talk about that nor do i feel i can sway your opinion on this cite. So simple don't compare the group that had to be extreme to earn their rights to the people who want to kill all minorities out of pure ignorance.

#161 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@momo111191: At the end of the day you should have called them what they are, the young stupid moron extremists that live next to me.

We agree on this, and I take full responsibility for not being as clear in my initial post as I was in the post prior to this one. I know several Muslims who've imigrated here from the Middle East (some of whom I work with) who are upstanding guys who just want to worship the way they see fit and don't give me any grief about my faith. They DEFINITELY don't fit into the category of "young stupid moron extremists" as you so eloquently and correctly put it ( hence my hope that all members of the NOI in this country don't behave that way). I could'nt have said it better myself. No, i'd never group all Islam together in one pile because the sad truth is that Jihadists kill more Muslims around the world than anyone else. We here in the Western countries try to be very mindful about not blowing up hospitials, schools, and mosques, but suicide bombers just don't care who gets caught in the crossfire. One thing you and I have in common is that we both have people close to us that have strong ties to the civil rights movement. My father-in-law and his friends were nearly lynched on their way home from school just for going home "the wrong way" one day, for example. Hopefully you and I have a better understanding of each other, and hopefully we're cool, despite my inability to fully convey my thoughts in my earlier post.

@darksoul7th: Correct.

#162 Posted by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy heck, don't mess with Lex. Reading this thread was a treat.

But one thing that bugs me, what is stopping Lex from using the protocols from the 1999 Secret Files? Superman iirc can't get enough dirt on him to put him away.

#163 Edited by Bo88gdan (4405 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto wins

#164 Posted by Dextersinister (6154 posts) - - Show Bio

@irs said:

Luthor didn't achieve this on his own.

Luthor is horribly underrated because he doesn't have a respect thread.

No one achieves anything on there own but unlike must acquisitions of temporary godlike power in the comics this wasn't simply stumbled upon or acquired in one page by taking down some crappy protectors, they devoted an entire arc on how this man tracked down the pieces to acquire

#165 Posted by momo111191 (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet: Absolutely thank you clarifying the matter and being the bigger man about it. I appropriate it and even though we cant agree about this fight (magneto got this) we can agree on the matter. thank you again and im sorry for my initial outburst i could have defiantly got my point across more politely and now i know it was all just a misunderstanding :).

#166 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@momo111191: It happens to the best of us, mon ami. My wife's always telling me "It's not what you say, but it's how you say it" (I hate it when she's right, but what are you gonna do?). I'm glad we could clear the air and get back to positivity. Although, you know if Luthor does manage to fully deactivate or greatly hamper Magneto's powers (and i've already illuminated several methods in which he could do this very thing) this is going to devolve into a fist fight. And Lex is a Black Belt martial artist. Now in all fairness, being a Superman villain he does'nt get to showcase this talent too often, due to the considerable strength differential between them. But he nevertheless is still a very well trained fighter. Reprobate that he is, Lex Luthor would have no problem beating the life out of an old man, especially one who just a few minutes ago was preaching about his "Inherant Superiority" until his powers stopped working.

#167 Posted by Hyperlight (5839 posts) - - Show Bio

i wouldnt think lex is so much smarter than mags that it wouldnt matter that he is one of the most powerful mutants in the world. im leaning towards mags because lex has to do much more for himself than mags does

#168 Edited by Ancient_0f_Days (12192 posts) - - Show Bio

i wouldnt think lex is so much smarter than mags that it wouldnt matter that he is one of the most powerful mutants in the world. im leaning towards mags because lex has to do much more for himself than mags does

Wrong, Lex has to do much less since he has so much tech and resources at his disposal. He has access to devices that would allow him to gain super powers beyond Magneto. He has cloned himself several times in his career allowing himself to die several times as a decoy, ie. Kryptonite Cancer, Brainiac snapping his neck and putting him into a coma ..... He transferred his Brain into a genetically grown body that had flowing red hair, another clone was used in his first death battle with Brainiac ... came in handy, especially after he returned the favor by snapping Braniacs neck ....

...Brainiac took several forceful blows from an angry Superman and knocked him off his feet.

Lex took shots from Brainiac himself....

With prep, Lex can use either Fourth World or Kryptonian tech which technically isn't earth based metal and may not even be magnetic....or Lex can reverse his suit's polarity just to be a douche .... while empowering himself with all kinds of powers...including Superman's...but na Magneto is up there with Lex, I mean Lex can't be THAT smart......I'm SURE Magneto could do as well with prep...no doubt

lol ... no

#169 Edited by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio
#170 Edited by oceanmaster21 (8039 posts) - - Show Bio

i think lex luthor is lil smarter but as far as this fight goes i say lex wins 5 out of 10

#171 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@oceanmaster21: I respectfullly disagree, because according to the conditions in the OP Lex Luthor has 10 whole days to prepare for a battle with a member (albeit, a very powerful member) of a species that is notoriously easy to nullify any threat they may pose. I've already spelled out several different ways Lex can accomplish this, so I won't repeat myself unless it becomes necessary to do so, but no mutant is going to defeat Lex Luthor if he (and this is very important) KNOWS IN ADVANCE THAT THEY ARE COMING. I've already stated that even I believe Magneto could/would defeat Luthor 6 or 7/10 in a suprise attack. That is not the case here. Lex Luthor with 10 days of prep against Magneto will result in a decisive victory for him, and perhaps the execution of Prof.X's oldest friend.

#172 Edited by fanb0y (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor

#173 Edited by russellmania77 (15377 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd say lex cuz of the prep

#174 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio
#175 Posted by russellmania77 (15377 posts) - - Show Bio
#176 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex, only because the prep lex can prep against magnetism and Magneto can't prep against prep to many unknown variables.

#177 Posted by Hyperlight (5839 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: guess i was tripping then hahah. so is it implied that Lex knows who magneto is or he is smart enough to prep against him regardless?

#178 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12192 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: guess i was tripping then hahah. so is it implied that Lex knows who magneto is or he is smart enough to prep against him regardless?

Well, it isn't stated in the OP that Lex has prior knowledge .... but his suit isn't made of earth based metals and they may not even have a magnetic charge, so there's a chance this fight could end like Iron Man vs Magneto or worse since Lex can give himself powers and has made clones in the past....the whole fight could have been Magneto vs a Lex Clone ..... then Lex WOULD know Magneto's powers...then he could spend a few minutes tweaking and Boom Tube in there and pull a mean wammy out on Erik....

#179 Posted by Hyperlight (5839 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: well most if not all of metals have some sort of charge.. and metal may be mags greatest asset but not his only one. I feel like Lex gained powers either due to certain circumstances or it took much longer than 10 days.

#180 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight said:

Well, it isn't stated in the OP that Lex has prior knowledge .... but his suit isn't made of earth based metals and they may not even have a magnetic charge, so there's a chance this fight could end like Iron Man vs Magneto or worse since Lex can give himself powers and has made clones in the past....the whole fight could have been Magneto vs a Lex Clone ..... then Lex WOULD know Magneto's powers...then he could spend a few minutes tweaking and Boom Tube in there and pull a mean wammy out on Erik....

It doesn't say "prior knowledge," but if they each have prep time, isn't it sort of assumed that they know what they are prepping for? Maybe not, but if each has prep, I would assume that each was taking time during those ten days to study up on his opponent.

#181 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12192 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days: well most if not all of metals have some sort of charge.. and metal may be mags greatest asset but not his only one. I feel like Lex gained powers either due to certain circumstances or it took much longer than 10 days.

If that's the case then like I said, Clone Lex goes in, dies, Lex now knows Magnetos powers and makes a ten minute tweak. Also, Lex made those powers in days, he'd studied them for years before hand but he still has those resources, it's not like he has to start all over, he already has clones on standby, he has the DNA of so many super humans that after sending in a clone to figure out what magneto does, he could simply find a similar power like Dr Polaris, he already knows his weakness to fire and he knows how to reverse his powers (They worked together in Infinite Crisis and a little bit before that)... They thing is, Lex already has these things there in Lex Corp, he doesn't have to prepare them beyond just putting it on....which should only take minutes....

It doesn't say "prior knowledge," but if they each have prep time, isn't it sort of assumed that they know what they are prepping for? Maybe not, but if each has prep, I would assume that each was taking time during those ten days to study up on his opponent.

Sorry, but prep doesn't = prior knowledge, thats like saying batman gets prep against someone who he's never fought before, he cant just get random knowledge unless it's specified, it's not like he can't prep without prior knowledge, same for lex and magneto, they have things they used in the past that they could use again as long as it's within reach and not needing someone else's help to make agian (if it needs to be made again)...Lex makes most of his on his own and most of the stuff he acquired he still has as regular equipment....in anycase, there are no checkups as it would ruin the idea of prep. spying is cheating.

#182 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight: so is it implied that Lex knows who magneto is or he is smart enough to prep against him regardless?

You've missed a valuable point from my earlier posting on Page 3. Lex Luthor used to be President of the United States. That means DAILY Intelligence Briefings as well as communications with other Heads of State and their Intelligence Agencies, including Checkmate, the D.E.O. and others. Nothing in the OP says that either combatant was sucked through an interdimensional portal of some sort, so it's assumed that they share a common universe where neither of their powers/resourses are impaired in any way. Under those parameters, Magneto is just as wanted "Dead or Alive" by Checkmate as he is by SHIELD. They (and the D.E.O.) would be well aware of this grey haired buffoon and his diatribes on Mutantkind's racial superiority. They would know that he is a magnetokinetic and that his powers come exclusively from the mutagenic "X-Factor". They would also have several contingencies to deal with him in the harshest of ways. Which means Luthor would have them/remember them as well. If not sitting in the LexCorp basement, then in a warehouse somewhere (and i've already said with 10 days prep he could easily pay Atomic Skull or any other Meta-Villian to steal it for him, all completely within his character) and deploy this weaponry via skyscrapers and/or incorporated into his Warsuit. Not to mention the guy calls himself (and I quote) "Magneto: The Master of Magnetism"! It does'nt take TOO much prior knowledge of a guy when he introduces himself that way and puts that on his business cards...

#183 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@ancient_0f_days said:

Sorry, but prep doesn't = prior knowledge, thats like saying batman gets prep against someone who he's never fought before, he cant just get random knowledge unless it's specified, it's not like he can't prep without prior knowledge, same for lex and magneto, they have things they used in the past that they could use again as long as it's within reach and not needing someone else's help to make agian (if it needs to be made again)...Lex makes most of his on his own and most of the stuff he acquired he still has as regular equipment....in anycase, there are no checkups as it would ruin the idea of prep. spying is cheating.

Aye, I understand what you are saying. Of course prior knowledge is different from standard prep without prior knowledge, but I suppose what I was getting at was that I don't think it makes all that much of a difference in this instance. Luthor is a preparation master by all accounts. If he knows who is opponent will be... even though he doesn't have prior knowledge of Magneto, but only knows his name... his ten-day studies will probably be more than enough to prepare him for most eventualities. Luthor is pretty much on the same level as Batman where prep and resourcefulness is concerned, which is saying a lot, but he also has absolutely no qualms with lying, stealing, and killing his way to preparedness.

#184 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you make a good point here, but I don't think Luthor even needs to go that far. The name "Magneto" says more than enough. What are some words that immediately come to your(plural) mind when you hear the word "magneto"? Could magnet be one of those words? Haha!

Luthor's a super genius. If you(plural) are telling me that he will not able to deduce before this battle that his opponent, who calls himself "Magneto," somehow has some kind of control over magnetism and that he wouldn't then try to prepare for every possible scenario concerning magnetic forces, then you and I are not talking about the same Lex Luthor.

#185 Edited by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

But doesn't Magneto's power do so much more than metal now? And he can do stuff, like, with the iron and metals in your blood? Didn't he (hopped up on super drugs) almost turn the earth on its axis?

#186 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: Luthor's a super genius. If you(plural) are telling me that he will not able to deduce before this battle that his opponent, who calls himself "Magneto," somehow has some kind of control over magnetism and that he wouldn't then try to prepare for every possible scenario concerning magnetic forces, then you and I are not talking about the same Lex Luthor.

Believe it or not, you and I are actually making the same point. I was saying that I could deduce that a guy named "Magneto", who calls himself "The Master of Magnetism" would be a magnetokinetic. Lex Luthor has GOT to be smarter than me to be a super-villian of his caliber. Of course he would have figured that out. The point I was also making was that Lex is a former Head of State who (on top of his own personal skill at prep/intel) recieved daily Intelligence Briefings from both domestic and international Meta-Specific agencies on threat assessments and contingencies to deal with them. In a shared universe, Lex would have been clued in on tech and tactics on how to eliminate any Meta threat that may present a threat to US sovreignty. Magneto certainly fits that profile and the D.E.O., Checkmate, and SHIELD (among others) would have given him intimate access to several top secret and well known options on how to quicky dispatch this mutant terrorist who has has made his goals of both world domination and human subjegation very clear over the years. And Lex would spare no expense, and stick his middle finger in the air to whatever collateral damage would result from a battle between him and Magneto. Knowing him, Luthor would manipulate events so that no matter how much damage was caused/people were killed in the process, he'd still come out smelling like a rose.... A prepped Lex Luthor against any being with the mutagenic "X-Factor" is going to either be deactivated with D.E.O.Tech or Genoshatech and captured, outright killed to prove a point, or captured and experimented on like someone/thing at "Area 51". This ends badly for Magneto. Quickly.

#187 Posted by Onemoreposter (4052 posts) - - Show Bio

@kadeem

said:

@Cosmic_Falcon: You make claims that Luthor can use his tech to turn off Magneto's powers, but just like anyone else in these forums you need to be able to back up what you are saying with proof. BP's suit is lined with vibranium which Luthor has no access to, and he has never demonstrated that he can produce a suit with identical properties. The machines that T'Challa used to dampen Magneto's powers needed vibranium to work effectively. If Luthor has been able to build a machine that can negate another character's power set within several miles that doesn't mean that he would be able to do so to Magneto. When the battle begins there is also nothing to stop Magneto from producing an EMP from disrupting all the tech within miles to render Luthor helpless.

Uh that's incorrect. The tech that Panther used only used vibranium as a power source, and never stated that he needed it to shut or weaken his powers. Doom has no access to vibranium and shut down Magneto's powers with a flip of a switch. It's Magneto's arrogance and lack of intelligence in comparison to these characters that ends up with him defeated every time.

Luthor doesn't need vibranium to distort an energy field, he's already created and manipulated EMP's before. Adventures of Superman #425 he created and was able to control his own EM Field before. So yes, Luthor can defeat Magneto in the same way that Panther did and would not require any of Panther's tech to do so.

As far as turning off powers. Luthor was able to turn off Trajectory's powers in 52 week 21

He also gave her the power to begin with.

Magneto is going to take this.

#188 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@heraldofganthet said:

Believe it or not, you and I are actually making the same point...

No worries. I wasn't directing my comment at you... hence why I put the word "plural" in parentheses after I said "you." I was directing it at those who seem to be underrating Luthor's intelligence and his ability to prepare. :)

#189 Edited by HeraldofGanthet (3475 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono:No worries. I wasn't directing my comment at you... hence why I put the word "plural" in parentheses after I said "you." I was directing it at those who seem to be underrating Luthor's intelligence and his ability to prepare. :)

Gotcha. It's staggering to think that a man who prides himself on being one step ahead of everybody (hero and villian) would'nt see Magneto as a potential threat/rival on his own before getting access to top secret government tech and/or tactics to take him down. He'd know who Magneto is and where his powers come from, where he sleeps, how to find Genosha on a map, fly there to get a crate full of Slave Collars (and write off the trip on his taxes), reverse engineer them into something even more dangerous/powerful, and create an iPhone app to activate it on a moments notice. He could do all this in under 1 day, 10 days is a goodlawdstomp in his favor. And I did'nt even mention what a battle between a powerless Magneto vs Lex Luthor in his Warsuit would look like. The word "SPLAT!!!!" comes to mind...

#190 Posted by Paytience (69 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Beating someone with prep when they don't KNOW you're prepping for them (BP) is entirely different from someone who is expecting counter-measures.

2. What's the range on Lex's nullifyers?

This is really kind of important, because Magneto affects magnetic fields planet wide, and even on several occasions, has been shown to have an intergalactic reach. Furthermore Magneto has on panel affected people from across the globe with his powers. Cutting of teleporters, bringing people to him from other continents, etc. Basically, you can argue Lex's prep will allow him to circumvent Magneto's powers all you want, but if Magneto is prepping as well, he knows damn well what his own weaknesses are; if he's expecting counter-measures, there's nothing really stopping him from ripping Luthor apart from the other side of the planet...or space...or basically from wherever he felt like.

Nullifying a city or a state doesn't do much for you when the man you're trying to nullify can use his powers to quite literally throw a mountain at you from a safe distance of, I don't know, Africa. Lex is a human being, with no pis invulnerabilities here. Yes Magneto is arrogant, and given to grandiose schemes and public executions...as part of a political statement. If there is no statement to be made, and the end purpose is to simply kill the other guy, there is nothing stopping Magneto from putting Lex into orbit from the quiet comfort of Cyclops' warm embrace...

...I mean wait, what?

#191 Posted by comic_book_fan (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

magneto stomps

#192 Posted by ComicStooge (12849 posts) - - Show Bio

Prepped Lex stomps.

#193 Edited by Dextersinister (6154 posts) - - Show Bio

@paytience: You need to remember that a lot of Magneto's feats are irrelevant considering he has been depowered at least twice not counting the most recent.

He has also very familiar with the powerset considering Polaris a character with an identical powerset worked for him in the Secret Society who rivaled old Magneto in power but not utility.

#194 Posted by patrat18 (9769 posts) - - Show Bio
#195 Edited by Paytience (69 posts) - - Show Bio

No feats are irrelevant unless op specifically states current versions; barring that, battle thread rules are that we use each character at their theoretical best based on canon feats.

Dr. Polaris has tech based powers; Magneto doesn't. He's directly tied the EM forces of the universe. As of right now it's not even clear in Marvel exactly how he communicates with EM fields. Well the affect of Doctor Polaris' powers are similar to Magneto's, the way in which they actually function is not. It is not as if Magneto uses a form of signal or energy to affect EM fields; if he did, he would never be able to actuate them fast enough to trace teleporters, or affect objects at interstellar distances; neither would he be able to receive stimuli from interstellar distances in real time, as those stimuli would need to be traveling billions of times faster than light. (Magneto can and has detected the EM fields of interstellar objects and planets) Well Luthor can negate the effects of Magneto's powers, he would not be able to simply shut them down, as NOBODY is even sure how they work.

Either Magneto is capable perpetuating electromagnetic fields at speeds vastly faster than light (Which means Lex is screwed), or he is essentially an Avatar for electromagnetism, and as such is directly tied to it; it would appear to be a combination of both; however, either way it doesn't matter. Luthor can off Polaris, but he cannot break the bond Magneto has with electromagnetism, because it's a complete mystery how he actually communicates with that force.

Therefore, Luthor's best shots at shutting down Magneto's powerset is to use his own tech to negate the effects of his powers, like Black Panther did, or to attack the x-gene. Both options are very viable, but require him to be FAR closer to Magneto, than Magneto has to be to him in order to win. Both options also are being thrown out as if this a lopsided prep battle, It isn't...Magneto get's prep as well, and he is arguably the foremost geneticist in Marvel, as well as one of the Marvel U's leading physicists, meaning both of Luthor's options require him to challenge Magneto in several of Magneto's strongest specialties.

Any option Luthor has of winning requires him to step into Magneto's ball park, and that's bad ju-ju.

Lex has to figure ALL THAT out to have chance here...

...all Magneto has to figure out is how to put a bus through Lex's window before Luthor does that.

Now, I'm a huge Magneto fan, but I don't want this to seem as if counting out Lex here; I'm really quite torn on who wins-but it just seemed to me as if the people arguing for Mag's aren't really very good at it.

#196 Posted by hirev_starman (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor with the brains wins this one