- Thing

- Start 50 feet apart.

- Rules:
- In character.
- Random encounter.
- Standard equipment.
- Standard elimination rules apply.
#2 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Lyra would crush the Thing. She's not as strong but she's close enough for her skill to give her the advantage. 

#3 Posted by whacknasty (5572 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_: Wow, from her bio Lyra almost seems like a Cassie/Karnak hybrid...lol.

What are some of her better combat showings?

I'll agree with Vance, seems like she would be able to make up for any potential strength/durability shortcomings with sheer skill

#4 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by whacknasty (5572 posts) - - Show Bio

@_slim_: Cool, I'll check it out.

#6 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I think Lyra would crush the Thing. She's not as strong but she's close enough for her skill to give her the advantage.

Actually Lyra should be as strong as Ben. Either way she wins.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@whacknasty said:

@_slim_: Wow, from her bio Lyra almost seems like a Cassie/Karnak hybrid...lol.

What are some of her better combat showings?

I'll agree with Vance, seems like she would be able to make up for any potential strength/durability shortcomings with sheer skill

#8 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

Lyra wins. I believe Banner removed her weakness of getting weaker when she's angrier. So I would assume she like the other Hulks should get stronger as she becomes angrier, or at least not suffer from it. Also she's more skilled and has her gamma reading abilities.

#9 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4123 posts) - - Show Bio

Lyra

#10 Posted by D3athstroke (3891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: She destroyed adamantine helmet with one punch ? what the hell

#11 Posted by robertloucksjr (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

@D3athstroke said:

That would be bad writing and Ares being pissed upon again.

#12 Posted by termiteone4ever (6685 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing would have a very hard time here

#13 Posted by whacknasty (5572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Awesome, thank you!

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@whacknasty said:

@Vance Astro: Awesome, thank you!

NP. She has more I just wanted to post that because I loved how she owned Ares.
#15 Posted by laflux (11045 posts) - - Show Bio

@robertloucksjr said:

@D3athstroke said:

Poor old Ares. For someone who is the God of War, he doesn't show alot of skill does he?

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@robertloucksjr said:

I love how people always call bad writing when he gets owned but never come to terms with the fact that getting owned encompasses more than half his showings.
#17 Posted by laflux (11045 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@robertloucksjr said:

I love how people always call bad writing when he gets owned but never come to terms with the fact that getting owned encompasses more than half his showings.

As I mentioned earlier, his God of War title carries more merit then his feats. He's basically a brick with heavy melee weapons and big guns. Its kinda sad when you compare him to say, DC Ares

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@laflux said:

As I mentioned earlier, his God of War title carries more merit then his feats. He's basically a brick with heavy melee weapons and big guns. Its kinda sad when you compare him to say, DC Ares

Yea DC's Ares is far more formidable.
#19 Posted by TerryBogard2014 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Lyra

#20 Posted by D3athstroke (3891 posts) - - Show Bio

That pictures of her beating avengers are full of bullshit her breaking adamantium helmet stopping bullseyes arrow with her skin thats just wis

Bullseye was able to kill tons of Asgardians in Siege but somehow is unable to scratch hulks offspring with same gear ? and Ares would murder her with little to no effort

#21 Posted by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@robertloucksjr said:

@D3athstroke said:

Poor old Ares. For someone who is the God of War, he doesn't show alot of skill does he?

To be fair he is an idiot in Greek Mythology as well. Only as Mars does he reach his true potential.

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@D3athstroke said:

That pictures of her beating avengers are full of bullshit her breaking adamantium helmet stopping bullseyes arrow with her skin thats just wis

Bullseye was able to kill tons of Asgardians in Siege but somehow is unable to scratch hulks offspring with same gear ? and Ares would murder her with little to no effort

1.Watch your mouth. 
2.Either Ares helmet isn't adamantine or it's not that hard to break. Lyra isn't the first and only character to break Ares' helmet. 
3.Bullseye isn't shooting or throwing arrows at Lyra and even if he was all of his arrows aren't the same. 
4.Why you think Ares would murder her without effort is beyond me. He doesn't have the feats to back it up.
#23 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

The Thing

#24 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@D3athstroke said:

1.Watch your mouth. 2.Either Ares helmet isn't adamantine or it's not that hard to break. Lyra isn't the first and only character to break Ares' helmet. 3.Bullseye isn't shooting or throwing arrows at Lyra and even if he was all of his arrows aren't the same. 4.Why you think Ares would murder her without effort is beyond me. He doesn't have the feats to back it up.

I might not agree with the language, but I agree with everything else he said: this story was clearly made to introduce Lyra grandstyle, the pheromone trick being proof for it. It is also rather puzzling to see the writer ignoring the H2H fighting abilities of the god of war. He might not be an extremely powerful god, but he still knows about H2H and guerrilla warfare. I also see no reason for Bullseye to hold back and use less powerful arrows than he did against the Asgardians.

Marvel loves doing that: a new character doesn't meet too much success? Quick, let him/her win a battle in a very unlikely way even if it doesn't make sense, this way people will take him/her more seriously.

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@DocFatalis said:

It is also rather puzzling to see the writer ignoring the H2H fighting abilities of the god of war. He might not be an extremely powerful god, but he still knows about H2H and guerrilla warfare. I also see no reason for Bullseye to hold back and use less powerful arrows than he did against the Asgardians.

Marvel loves doing that: a new character doesn't meet too much success? Quick, let him/her win a battle in a very unlikely way even if it doesn't make sense, this way people will take him/her more seriously.

Does anyone who has an issue with what Lyra did to Ares, actually read the comics the character is in or are they just complaining for the sake of complaining? How is THIS writer specifically ignoring the fighting ability of the God of War when pretty much EVERY writer does that? Ares has the most pathetic h2h or close combat record i've seen from a god. Thor has better fighting skill feats than him and he's the God of Thunder.  You just have to come to terms with the fact that Ares ISN'T that good and he never was. That's apparently how Marvel wants him to be.

Also, regarding Bullseye he's not holding back. He was running toward her so I assume he didn't have time to pull anything out of his quiver and just threw what was in his hand. People keep bringing up "Asgardians" but you don't take into account that Lyra is more durable than the average Asgardian. 

Marvel didn't do anything wrong neither did the writer. Lyra doesn't even win this fight. I'm giving her props for holding her own.Lyra has a bunch of good fights and she doesn't even win most of them. If anything doesn't make sense to you about this fight, it's YOU not Marvel.
#26 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I haven't read that many stories with Ares in it, mostly the mini-series, that time when he directs a crew of highly trained soldiers on a rescue mission and the episode against the Skrulls. In none of those occasions he looked weak or unexperienced to me.

The wiki from this very site also seems to grant him with some good feats, including against Doom and lastly, I am not the one who wrote that down:

Abilities

Ares is the god of war and is a master of a variety of hand-to-hand combat skills. Ares is also a master of all Olympian weaponry and most human weapons ranging from clubs to modern firearms and explosives. Though having normal intellect Ares' military tactical skills are at genius-level, and he is also well versed in torture, combat engineering, and knows vast amount of military history particularly focusing on battles and wars that involved Greek and Roman (or Italian) soldiers and armies. Ares is one of the most talented and ruthless soldiers that has ever fought on Earth.

I'll add that the tone of your post seems a little bit too aggressive for a normal conversation and I don't even understand what your last sentence means apart from the fact that you're shouting "YOU". So yes, I'm here.

#27 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@DocFatalis said:

@Vance Astro: I haven't read that many stories with Ares in it, mostly the mini-series, that time when he directs a crew of highly trained soldiers on a rescue mission and the episode against the Skrulls. In none of those occasions he looked weak or unexperienced to me.

The wiki from this very site also seems to grant him with some good feats, including against Doom and lastly, I am not the one who wrote that down:

Abilities

Ares is the god of war and is a master of a variety of hand-to-hand combat skills. Ares is also a master of all Olympian weaponry and most human weapons ranging from clubs to modern firearms and explosives. Though having normal intellect Ares' military tactical skills are at genius-level, and he is also well versed in torture, combat engineering, and knows vast amount of military history particularly focusing on battles and wars that involved Greek and Roman (or Italian) soldiers and armies. Ares is one of the most talented and ruthless soldiers that has ever fought on Earth.

I'll add that the tone of your post seems a little bit too aggressive for a normal conversation and I don't even understand what your last sentence means apart from the fact that you're shouting "YOU". So yes, I'm here.

You're saying that the writer is disregarding Ares h2h skill, but he's never really been SHOWN to have any. What a wiki says, doesn't dictate what happens in comics and we only debate on consistency. Ares is WEAK in comparison to Lyra and I never suggested that he was "unexperienced", he's simply not that great of a fighter. His showings in combat are very mediocre and they always have been. He's done nothing in his mini or his Dark Reign one-shot or even in Mighty Avengers that would be noteworthy against Lyra. I read the description regarding what happened between Ares & Doom but IIRC, Sentry did most of the work against Doom. Not that beating Doom would now make Ares a decent fighter because a plot device would be needed for Ares to beat a character that has defeated several Avengers rosters by himself, when there are Avengers that Ares has no chance against solo.

The tone of my post isn't aggressive, nor am I "shouting" anything. Whatever I caps lock is intended for emphasis because those are the words I deem important in understanding what i'm saying. If you didn't understand the last part of my sentence, in a nutshell i'm saying there is nothing wrong with Lyra showed against the Dark Avengers.