Who wins?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By tparks  Online

If Voldemort can cast a spell to be able to detect Predator through his camouflage, then Voldemort. If not, I say predator wins with shoulder mounted gun.

With 15 minutes of Prep though, I would imagine Voldemort can come up with all kinds of spells to detect Predator and protect himself from Predators weapons. Also, Voldemort went to school at Hogwarts when he was young so he is familiar with the location and he discovered a lot of the secrets of the castle. I think Voldemort has the edge because of location and prep.

Now that I think about it, Voldemort will probably win 10/10. If Arnold Schwartzenegger and Danny Glover can kill a predator by themselves, then the most deadly wizard of all time (in HP universe) should have no problem.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kingjohnrocks

@tparks: There is a revealing spell to reveal invisible people. But I ask, what spells can Voldemort use to kill the Predator?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tparks  Online

@kingjohnrocks:

Avada Kedavra is the obvious one.

Also Diffindo, Confundo, Confringo, Entrail-Expelling Curse, Expulso, Fiendfyre Curse, Freezing Charm, Imperio, Incarcerus, Incendio.

There are a lot more. I just went half way through the list at this link - HP SPELLS. Not all of them are spells that would immediately kill a Predator, but some might set up Voldemort for an Avada Kedavra or just make things difficult for predator. IMO, I think Voldemort wouldn't mess around and he would open up with Avada Kedavra.

Alexman113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far we know, the revealing spell only works on magic cloaking. There is no guarantee it would even work on Predator's cloak since it is tech.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nick_hero22

I don't see why the Predator shouldn't be able to take this, but I have to admit my knowledge on Voldemort is a bit lacking. The Predator has the element of surprise via cloaking device, someone brought up the fact that Voldemort has a spell to reveal hidden opponents. This isn't particularly convincing to me for the simple fact that the Predator's invisibility is based off technology that can successfully bend light; this technology has no basis in magic, so I don't understand how users are making the implications that somehow Voldemort is going to override the Predator's technology through magic when this spell has only been shown to be efficient against other magic practitioners. Another thing I would also like to add is, exactly what reason would Voldemort have for suddenly utilizing a revealing spell when he wouldn't be sure of the exact location of the Predator to begin with nor would be able to anticipate an ambush since Predators have been shown to go undetected by Colonial Marines with Ultrasound Radars and Xenomorphs, who can detect their prey through a process similar to electroreception. So I'm not buying that Voldemort would be able to successfully deduce the location of the Predator and efficiently utilize the revealing spells he has in his arsenal of sorcery. I honestly don't see why a rapid blast for the Predator's Plasma Caster wouldn't be capable of easily ending this match, and even if Voldemort was capable of deducing the Predator's location; how exactly is Voldemort going to counter the massive speed advantage the Predator has over him. The Predator speed is sufficient to point of it being able to close in the gap before Voldemort could utilize some of his more potent spells.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Massive speed of a predator? I need to rewatch Predator, I also seem to remember the Governator winning, there was no speed there, all the way to AvP, I never saw superspeed. But alas I might be mistaken...

Riddle wins this, the spell that reveals invisible things should work on him, technology or not. I understand that people say it shouldn't work on the technological cloaking of the Predator coz in HPU it was used on magical stuff only. The reverse is also true since it was used on magical stuff there is no proof that it wouldn't work on Alien tech, also do consider that they did use magic on technology, flying cars and bikes anybody?

Irrespective Riddle goes "Accio predator" and teleports and spams an AK... Flawless victory!!

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nick_hero22

@theonetaichou:

No offense but this argument is very poor.

1) Speed Feats

PREDATOR: Cold War by Nathan Archer ISB 0-553-57493-0

Pages 208 - 209

For a moment the spear supported him; then the incredibly sharp spearhead cut through his spine and he slid down the shaft.

Blood ran down the shaft ahead of the dying Russian and he landed facedown in a pool of his own blood, cooling quickly on the ice.

The spear was snatched from his back by a shadow, indistinct figure and the second man down cut loose with his AK-100, spraying bullets at the barely glimpsed spear wielding killer.

The thing moved so fast it almost seemed to be dodging the bullets as it turned and ran back down the canyon. The Russian charged after it, bellowing.

Page 210

Someone, Pushkov or someone obeying Pushkov, fired; Gunin felt burning lines of pain as bullets tore through his right sleeve and through his arm but the pain was not bad, not enough to make him scream-- the spikes had already hurt him enough to deaden his sensitivity.

The creature holding the spear seemed to side-step the bullets easily.

Then it jabbed the spear forward, and Gunin no longer worried about spikes or bullets, or anything else as the thing cut his heart out with a single quick gesture.

After that, the alien disappeared, blurring into invisibility

Page 213

"I care about something," she told him, "I care about my men!"

"Yeah, I care about something," Schaefer said. "I care about the fact that when that thing's done with your friends, it'll probably find us. Do you have a knife?"

She blinked up at him. "A knife?"

"Those things are fast enough to dodge bullets, if they see them coming," Schaefer explained. "And even if you hit them, they're damn near bulletproof. Knives, well... they can dodge knives too, if they have a chance but I don't intend to give this one a chance."

Alien vs Predator War by S.D. Perry ISBN 0-553-57732-8

Page 172 to 173

The Queen continued in her bursts of screams, all but hidden by a mass of her minions, bugs jumping into the battle as more came out of the dark, running at the Hunters, the Hunters dancing and cutting like samurai-- both alien groups slowly, steadily gaining ground on the three humans.

Lara didn't think about it, couldn't, aiming and firing and aiming again, the bugs blasted into acid splash as the Hunters dodged and fought, and somehow managed not to die-- CLICK CLICK CLICK-- AND Lara heard Noguchi's weapon go dry, even over the screams and explosions, as chilling as terrible as the Queen's fury.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

2) There is no reason why Voldemort's revealing spell should have an effect on the mesh that provides the Predator's cloaking, like I have reiterated before, just because the revealing spell has exposed the invisibility of magic practitioners doesn't mean that it would have an effect on something that falls with the natural realm and takes advantage of these properties to produce a mesh that is capable of bouncing light off the wearer. In order for you to prove that Voldemort's revealing spell would expose the Predator you will first have to prove that invisibility in the HP Universe has the same properties as the mesh the Predator's wear in the AVP Universe, which you can't do because the origins of these abilities fall into two distinct categories (Sorcery/Technology). Secondly, you will have to prove that both methods of invisibility function similarly to each other which will be extremely hard to do since the Predators's invisibility is based off bending light which has a basis in the physical world. I have nothing to prove because I never claimed that Voldemort's revealing spell would be efficient against the Predator, so the burden of proof falls on your shoulders, not mine.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Voldemort.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Voldemort CURBSTOOOOOMPPPPPP

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By theONEtaichou

@nick_hero22:

first let's start by the fact I was going by the movie versions hence my Governator remark, within reason since the OP posted movie Riddle pic as well as a movie version pic of a predator. I think the clue was the Governator remark.

@theonetaichou:

2) There is no reason why Voldemort's revealing spell should have an effect on the mesh that provides the Predator's cloaking, like I have reiterated before, just because the revealing spell has exposed the invisibility of magic practitioners doesn't mean that it would have an effect on something that falls with the natural realm and takes advantage of these properties to produce a mesh that is capable of bouncing light off the wearer. In order for you to prove that Voldemort's revealing spell would expose the Predator you will first have to prove that invisibility in the HP Universe has the same properties as the mesh the Predator's wear in the AVP Universe, which you can't do because the origins of these abilities fall into two distinct categories (Sorcery/Technology). Secondly, you will have to prove that both methods of invisibility function similarly to each other which will be extremely hard to do since the Predators's invisibility is based off bending light which has a basis in the physical world.I have nothing to prove because I never claimed that Voldemort's revealing spell would be efficient against the Predator, so the burden of proof falls on your shoulders, not mine.

Firstly the argument is solid, not weak. People are claiming that since the invisibility of the Predator is scientific in nature or non-magical the revealing spell would not work on it. But there is absolutely no proof for this. In fact that is the weak argument. No one can say that, were there spells in HPU (film or book versions) where magic failed to interact with a non-magical or scientific entity? Then where does the skepticism come from? You yourself state in this very rebuttal that there is no reason for the spell to work... what are your reasons? You made a claim and have not backed it up. In fact I will go so far as to say you cannot back it up.

But let me break it down for you, from the HP films:

1) In Chamber of Secrets, the Weasley boys rescue Harry in a flying car. A flying car mate (a Ford Anglia to be exact). I am sure that there is ample evidence that cars do not fly in the 'physical world' as you put it, so how did magical users make a physical technological entity (a car) do what other physical technological entities cannot do if not by magic. So in Chamber of Secrets an entity in the 'physical world' was manipulated using magic.

2) The transfiguration spell works on changing things in the 'physical world' via magic. Again magic being used on physical world' entity, in this case a goblet. Also Hermione used a spell on her normal handbag in Deathly Hallows so they could store a large volume of stuff in it. Again 'physical world' entity being affected by magic.

3) In the Philosopher's Stone Dumbledore uses a delimunator to remove streets lights iirc. Again magic affecting electric street lights and keeping them from returning. I am pretty sure electricity in GB is created the same way around the world, with no magic. Again magic affecting technological entity particularly light itself, a physical entity, with magic.

These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. I have given 4 instances where 'physical world' non-magical, scientific entities are manipulated by magic in the HPU.

I have shown that magic in the HPU can and has affected physical entities, and I stand that it is a most reasonable deduction that magic will affect Predator physical technology in this fight, namely that the revealing spell should do away with the Predator's cloaking system. And thus take away the Predators primary method of concealment. Then an AK spell should ensure a swift victory for Riddle.

But let us go back to the statements you made, I have bolded them.

1) You have made a positive claim that magic will not affect the technological mesh of the Predator. What is your proof for this, especially in lie of my above post? But even if I had not made the above post, what would be your proof? Since you made the claim, you need to prove it.

2) You state that since the magic of HPU invisibility of magical practitioners can be affected by magic doesn't mean physical invisibility can be affected, again another positive statement. How do you know this? Where is your proof, in any format?

3) This is the most interesting one, partly because you are creating a game that no one can win, including you. You even claim it is extremely hard because even you can see that it cannot be done, nor the reverse don as well. The invisibility of HPU is not defined on how it occurs, even if magically. But also on the invisibility of Predator technology is also unknown, just speculated. Therefore you are putting forward a scenario impossible to defend, and then I presume once I fail you claim I was wrong and you were right? Since neither of them is known, there can be no way to find a correlation other then they both render the target invisible. In fact I could as well ask you once I fail to prove their congruency (specially tough considering as you put it, both are achieved differently i.e sorcery/technology), how could you prove that they don't share the same properties. After all the manner of which they start might be different but the manner of which invisibility is sustained could well be the same, the spell also bends light in the physical world, no?

4) and lastly you claim that Predator invisibility is based in the physical world, how do you know? Do you know all their tech, what if they also use sorcery in their making say of the mesh. I know that this point is a bit silly but I am trying to show you that you also made a claim and did not back it up, especially since this claim you could not repute efficiently (I believe) since you do not know all the mechanics of their invisibility technology.

I believe since I have proved that magic in the HPU can and does interact with the non-magical technological physical world, it should therefore deductively work on the non-magical, technological aspect of the Predator tech. Your own points have yet to be proven, and dare I say, cannot be proven within reason.

BTW, friend, you also need to realize that if someone fails to prove something doesn't mean you are right, it could be just that he failed. Something to remember in the future, many people in the C'Vine (myself included I must say) do that and fail to realize the sword sometimes cuts both ways.

good day, and sorry for the long read. I do appologise

THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By THC

Voldemort with ease. He instantly senses the Predator when the battle begins, turns it into a ferret while teleporting behind it, then tortures it until it begs for death.

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theonetaichou: Electricity created without magic?! Impossible!

okay, I'll bite...what are you talking about friend?

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideslash said:

@theonetaichou: Electricity created without magic?! Impossible!

okay, I'll bite...what are you talking about friend?

Sarcasm my friend. I was halfway towards "What sorcery is this?...Oh...wait a minute..."

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22:

first let's start by the fact I was going by the movie versions hence my Governator remark, within reason since the OP posted movie Riddle pic as well as a movie version pic of a predator. I think the clue was the Governator remark.

Regardless or not if there is a picture of the Predator from the first movie, it still has no bearing on the scans I posted. Both movies, comics, and novels exist within the same continuity, so don't see why they shouldn't be applicable here.

@theonetaichou:

2) There is no reason why Voldemort's revealing spell should have an effect on the mesh that provides the Predator's cloaking, like I have reiterated before, just because the revealing spell has exposed the invisibility of magic practitioners doesn't mean that it would have an effect on something that falls with the natural realm and takes advantage of these properties to produce a mesh that is capable of bouncing light off the wearer. In order for you to prove that Voldemort's revealing spell would expose the Predator you will first have to prove that invisibility in the HP Universe has the same properties as the mesh the Predator's wear in the AVP Universe, which you can't do because the origins of these abilities fall into two distinct categories (Sorcery/Technology). Secondly, you will have to prove that both methods of invisibility function similarly to each other which will be extremely hard to do since the Predators's invisibility is based off bending light which has a basis in the physical world.I have nothing to prove because I never claimed that Voldemort's revealing spell would be efficient against the Predator, so the burden of proof falls on your shoulders, not mine.

Firstly the argument is solid, not weak. People are claiming that since the invisibility of the Predator is scientific in nature or non-magical the revealing spell would not work on it. But there is absolutely no proof for this. In fact that is the weak argument. No one can say that, were there spells in HPU (film or book versions) where magic failed to interact with a non-magical or scientific entity? Then where does the skepticism come from? You yourself state in this very rebuttal that there is no reason for the spell to work... what are your reasons? You made a claim and have not backed it up. In fact I will go so far as to say you cannot back it up.

The basis for my argument is that there isn't any conclusive evidence that doesn't rely on NO-Limits Fallacy that would support the hypothesis that Voldemort's revealing spell would inhibit the Predator's cloaking mesh. You mention that there is no proof that the revealing spell wouldn't work, but there also isn't any proof that it would especially when the Predator's cloaking mesh utilizes a much different method to render it's wearer invisible. Like I have said before this isn't a very convincing argument because so much of it's foundation is built on the NO-Limits Fallacy. My reasons for making this claim is that the Voldemort's revealing spell targets the user of the disillusionment charm which really wouldn't be effective against the Predator's cloaking mesh for two reasons.

A) The Disillusionment Charm works by essentially bending it's caster into the texture in environment, while the Predator's mesh works by bouncing light off it's body rendering it invisible to the naked eye.

B) The target of the revealing spell is the caster of the disillusionment charm, whereas the invisibility of the Predator is a direct byproduct of it's mesh and not it's prowess as a sorcerer.

But let me break it down for you, from the HP films:

1) In Chamber of Secrets, the Weasley boys rescue Harry in a flying car. A flying car mate (a Ford Anglia to be exact). I am sure that there is ample evidence that cars do not fly in the 'physical world' as you put it, so how did magical users make a physical technological entity (a car) do what other physical technological entities cannot do if not by magic. So in Chamber of Secrets an entity in the 'physical world' was manipulated using magic.

I never made the claim that sorcery in the HP Universe couldn't effect material things; I'm just skeptical of the claim that Voldemort's revealing spell would work on the Predator's cloaking the same way it does on the disillusionment charm, especially when both have two very different methods of rendering individuals invisible and have very distinct properties as well i.e. (Light Bending Material vs Magic). The mesh and it's composition is what actually repels the light around the Predator's body, so I'm a hard time believing that spell designed to inhibit the enchanted properties of the disillusionment charm would have a noticeable effect on the mesh that the Predator wears. The Ford Anglia was modified with many enchanted devices such as Invisibility Boosters and etc. to achieve those properties by Arthur Weasley.

2) The transfiguration spell works on changing things in the 'physical world' via magic. Again magic being used on physical world' entity, in this case a goblet. Also Hermione used a spell on her normal handbag in Deathly Hallows so they could store a large volume of stuff in it. Again 'physical world' entity being affected by magic.

Like I have said before I never denied that the sorcery in the HP Universe couldn't effect tangible items. The transfiguration spell has no bearing here since we are discussing Voldemort's revealing spell which is designed to be effective against disillusionment charm users.

3) In the Philosopher's Stone Dumbledore uses a delimunator to remove streets lights iirc. Again magic affecting electric street lights and keeping them from returning. I am pretty sure electricity in GB is created the same way around the world, with no magic. Again magic affecting technological entity particularly light itself, a physical entity, with magic.

These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. I have given 4 instances where 'physical world' non-magical, scientific entities are manipulated by magic in the HPU.

I have shown that magic in the HPU can and has affected physical entities, and I stand that it is a most reasonable deduction that magic will affect Predator physical technology in this fight, namely that the revealing spell should do away with the Predator's cloaking system. And thus take away the Predators primary method of concealment. Then an AK spell should ensure a swift victory for Riddle.

But let us go back to the statements you made, I have bolded them.

Again my argument was not that sorcery couldn't effect natural things, it was could the revealing spell actually inhibit the materials that compromise the mesh that provides the Predator it's light bending technology? The deluminator is an enchanted device designed to remove light sources, while the revealing spell isn't designed to effect light waves that the mesh bends to achieve invisibility nor is it a enchanted device that's primary purpose it to effect light sources. Heck, the deluminator would probably be much more efficient against the Predator's mesh than the revealing spell because it's properties are within the realm of light waves and etc.

1) You have made a positive claim that magic will not affect the technological mesh of the Predator. What is your proof for this, especially in lie of my above post? But even if I had not made the above post, what would be your proof? Since you made the claim, you need to prove it.

My proof is that the mesh utilizes light-bending technology while the disillusionment spell works by bending the caster into the surrounding textures.

2) You state that since the magic of HPU invisibility of magical practitioners can be affected by magic doesn't mean physical invisibility can be affected, again another positive statement. How do you know this? Where is your proof, in any format?

We have no reason to believe that the revealing spell could actually effect the technology that is capable of producing light-bending effects.

3) This is the most interesting one, partly because you are creating a game that no one can win, including you. You even claim it is extremely hard because even you can see that it cannot be done, nor the reverse don as well. The invisibility of HPU is not defined on how it occurs, even if magically. But also on the invisibility of Predator technology is also unknown, just speculated. Therefore you are putting forward a scenario impossible to defend, and then I presume once I fail you claim I was wrong and you were right? Since neither of them is known, there can be no way to find a correlation other then they both render the target invisible. In fact I could as well ask you once I fail to prove their congruency (specially tough considering as you put it, both are achieved differently i.e sorcery/technology), how could you prove that they don't share the same properties. After all the manner of which they start might be different but the manner of which invisibility is sustained could well be the same, the spell also bends light in the physical world, no?

Irrelevant

4) and lastly you claim that Predator invisibility is based in the physical world, how do you know? Do you know all their tech, what if they also use sorcery in their making say of the mesh. I know that this point is a bit silly but I am trying to show you that you also made a claim and did not back it up, especially since this claim you could not repute efficiently (I believe) since you do not know all the mechanics of their invisibility technology.

I know this because it was elaborated on in the movie Predator 2 via light-bending capabilities. A good deal of the lore in the AVP Universe is based on real world science and technology (Colonial Marines Technical Manual), even though some of it has some fictitious elements to it due to the fact that there are several futuristic concepts in the lore, so bring up the possibility of the Predator's technology having supernatural aspects goes to show that you aren't that knowledgeable in regards to the AVP Universe.

I believe since I have proved that magic in the HPU can and does interact with the non-magical technological physical world, it should therefore deductively work on the non-magical, technological aspect of the Predator tech. Your own points have yet to be proven, and dare I say, cannot be proven within reason.

You didn't prove anything!

BTW, friend, you also need to realize that if someone fails to prove something doesn't mean you are right, it could be just that he failed. Something to remember in the future, many people in the C'Vine (myself included I must say) do that and fail to realize the sword sometimes cuts both ways.

good day, and sorry for the long read. I do appologise

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanna correct you on something, it is not known if Dumbledore used a disillusionment charm to go invisible or not. He has created unknown spells, before. So has Voldemort

@nick_hero22

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanna correct you on something, it is not known if Dumbledore used a disillusionment charm to go invisible or not. He has created unknown spells, before. So has Voldemort

@nick_hero22

The disillusionment charm is the primary means of invisibility, so when don't have any reason to believe that Dumbledore didn't use it unless stated otherwise.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kingjohnrocks

@nick_hero22:

Dumbledore has gone invisible without a cloak, however, it is speculation he used a disillusionment charm. J.K rowling never said that, at all. If she did, state it please. Plus, it isn't the primary means. Research HP before talking. There's an invisibility cloak.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingjohnrocks:

If he didn't use the invisibility cloak then the only means for him to turn invisible would be the disillusionment charm, correct? I didn't the disillusionment charm was the only means to render someone invisible.

Avatar image for bluesbrother1234
bluesbrother1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prep pretty much makes this one sided.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: Incorrect. J.K rowling never stated he used a disilliusioment charm to go invisible. We will never know what he used, but we can not speculated that he used that charm.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The basis for my argument is that there isn't any conclusive evidence that doesn't rely on NO-Limits Fallacy that would support the hypothesis that Voldemort's revealing spell would inhibit the Predator's cloaking mesh. You mention that there is no proof that the revealing spell wouldn't work, but there also isn't any proof that it would especially when the Predator's cloaking mesh utilizes a much different method to render it's wearer invisible. Like I have said before this isn't a very convincing argument because so much of it's foundation is built on the NO-Limits Fallacy. My reasons for making this claim is that the Voldemort's revealing spell targets the user of the disillusionment charm which really wouldn't be effective against the Predator's cloaking mesh for two reasons.

Friend, no one made a no-limit fallacy here, just that the tech of Predator can be affected by HPU. In fact even the no-limit fallacy doesn’t even apply here, no one made that fallacy (and you need to learn where that fallacy applies, many people here in the C’Vine just paint with that fallacy without seeing that it may even seem like a no-limit fallacy but it is not – also you have applied it wrong, sorry mate). The argument presented here is that the revealing spell should work on the Predator’s tech, there are no non-limits imposed. In fact the basis of my claim lies in that HPU magic does affect scientific, non-technological entities and it is most reasonable to deduct that, if the counter is that Predator tech cannot be affected by magic (any magic) that may be construed as a no-limit fallacy (but you are not claiming that so it’s fine).

What I bolded and underlined is exactly my point, you made a claim first that it would not work but you have no proof (deductive or otherwise). I made the counter and while the spell was never used on Predator tech, I have shown through deductive reasoning that Predator tech would not be immune to HPU magic and thus it’s reasonable upon that deduction to deduce that the spell would work on the invisibility tech. You on the other hand have no leg to stand on other than that they are different. No one denies the invisibility is different, but we are not talking about the method of invisibility but how to make that which is invisible be visible. And worse, your counter reasons make no sense. The spell targets the user who is invisible, obviously. The invisible wizard or the invisible Predator here would be the target but let me address the points you have made…

A) The Disillusionment Charm works by essentially bending it's caster into the texture in environment, while the Predator's mesh works by bouncing light off it's body rendering it invisible to the naked eye.

The nature of invisibility is not in question here; just that the revealing spell would render that which is invisible visible so this point is moot. The revealing spell should work unless you can show it specifically cannot via correlation of the process of becoming invisible (which is basically what you are saying here). In fact the revealing charms/spells in HPU do not correlate to the methodology of the process of invisibility as Dumbledore used one to detect Harry and Ron who were using an invisibility cloak (one of the deathly Hallows in fact), they were not using a disillusionment charm.

By the way later you accuse me of being ignorant of Predator tech (while I do admit I might not be as knowledgeable as you perhaps) I am far from being ignorant. I bring this up because of what you just wrote above, if light was being bounced off the Predator’s body it would stand out like a light bulb at night. That is why white appears so, it bounces all the visible spectrum while black absorbs the vis spectrum ergo bending would render invisible, bouncing would scream “I am here”.

B) The target of the revealing spell is the caster of the disillusionment charm, whereas the invisibility of the Predator is a direct byproduct of it's mesh and not it's prowess as a sorcerer.

This is even worse friend. The target of the revealing spell is the person who is invisible, or being in the Predator’s case. In fact here you have a non-sequitur; the target of the spell has nothing to do with either a wizard’s prowess nor the tech of the Predator. And worse you cannot conclude from this that Predator tech will not be affected by the revealing spell.

I never made the claim that sorcery in the HP Universe couldn't effect material things; I'm just skeptical of the claim that Voldemort's revealing spell would work on the Predator's cloaking the same way it does on the disillusionment charm, especially when both have two very different methods of rendering individuals invisible and have very distinct properties as well i.e. (Light Bending Material vs Magic). The mesh and it's composition is what actually repels the light around the Predator's body, so I'm a hard time believing that spell designed to inhibit the enchanted properties of the disillusionment charm would have a noticeable effect on the mesh that the Predator wears. The Ford Anglia was modified with many enchanted devices such as Invisibility Boosters and etc. to achieve those properties by Arthur Weasley.

Like I said (maybe I should have said this in the beginning) Dumbledore used a revealing spell when Harry and Ron were using an invisibility cloak. Other people who have used other methods of being invisible such as the disillusionment charm have also been rendered visible. So clearly the methodology of being invisible is not correlative to the revealing spell i.e. different ways of being invisible but made visible nonetheless.

Also you missed the point of the above, which was in relation to the claim that you made, that scientific, non-technological (in our case Predator tech) physical world entities would not be affected by magic.

Like I have said before I never denied that the sorcery in the HP Universe couldn't effect tangible items. The transfiguration spell has no bearing here since we are discussing Voldemort's revealing spell which is designed to be effective against disillusionment charm users.

Again you missed the point of the above, which was in relation to the claim that you made, that scientific, non-technological (in our case Predator tech) physical world entities would not be affected by magic.

Again my argument was not that sorcery couldn't effect natural things, it was could the revealing spell actually inhibit the materials that compromise the mesh that provides the Predator it's light bending technology? The deluminator is an enchanted device designed to remove light sources, while the revealing spell isn't designed to effect light waves that the mesh bends to achieve invisibility nor is it a enchanted device that's primary purpose it to effect light sources. Heck, the deluminator would probably be much more efficient against the Predator's mesh than the revealing spell because it's properties are within the realm of light waves and etc.

The revealing spell is never shown how it renders that which is invisible visible just that it does. The methodology was not described, also you claimed it wouldn't work on Predator tech (specifically the invisible mesh) now you are changing the goal post, now the spell must inhibit the material? What’s next friend, the spell must stop photon movement? You stated that it would not be able to render visible the tech that made the Predator invisible now you are asking the spell to stop the invisibility via specific ways?

I assume the revealing spell would make that which is invisible visible i.e. seen by the naked eye or light move from object to the receiver’s eye, no? Then it also falls into the realm of light waves friend.

My proof is that the mesh utilizes light-bending technology while the disillusionment spell works by bending the caster into the surrounding textures.

The methodology is not in question; in fact you haven’t even proven that the revealing spell is specific to the process of the disillusionment charm, which you would need to do to even validate your above point. Tough when different processes of being invisible have been rendered visible by the revealing charm. Also you stated it would not work on the mesh…the question how do you know? What is your proof that type of tech would not be affected – stating that the magical way and the technological way are different is not proof because you (we actually other then it's magic) don’t know how the revealing spell makes things visible? Of course they are different, HPU uses magic, and Predators do not. The question is why won’t it work? Therein lies the rub.

We have no reason to believe that the revealing spell could actually effect the technology that is capable of producing light-bending effects.

You DO NOT HAVE the counter reasons either! You are only picking this position without reason (besides that you like it, believe it)… there are none, since Riddle has never fought a Predator nor a Predator fought Riddle. Give me a reason why their tech would not be affected? I have given you reasons that magic can and does affect tech and ergo should affect Predator tech, you have given me… nothing! That is what is the issue, give me reasons so I can go “You know what, you are right”. Any format of the reasons; deductive, inductive, scans, quote etc.

Irrelevant

This is relevant mate, you stated that Predator tech cannot be affected and posited a proof scenario intended to be indefensible as if this indefensibility is somehow proof of your proposition.

I know this because it was elaborated on in the movie Predator 2 via light-bending capabilities. A good deal of the lore in the AVP Universe is based on real world science and technology (Colonial Marines Technical Manual), even though some of it has some fictitious elements to it due to the fact that there are several futuristic concepts in the lore, so bring up the possibility of the Predator's technology having supernatural aspects goes to show that you aren't that knowledgeable in regards to the AVP Universe.

The worse part about accusing me of being ignorant is that you missed the whole part where I said I was being silly to drive a point home. I actually have read up on Predator tech btw. But worse you STILL have no way to prove that their tech does not have elements of sorcery in their mesh. Since it is not fully explained you can only speculate within reason (see? deductive reasoning to show that the Predator tech uses technology rather than magic; (1) no magic is ever mentioned or shown in Predator movies, stories, (2) only (futuristic) tech is ever shown or hinted at in Predator stories ERGO it is within reason to state they do not utilize magic to create their mesh, probably only technology). That type of reasoning is acceptable, and is actually a good argument. But outright stating only ‘physical world’ tech is uses is silly since their tech has never been fully explained and there are quantities that are never explained by the films, stories etc.

Maybe you need to re-read my points again friend. Did I not at least prove that technology can be affected by HPU magic, even if it’s just human tech like the Ford Anglia? Therefore I at least proved something. Forgive me for indulging in this fun at your expense, I do admit it was hard not to.

But the worst thing is you spent the rebuttal shooting down my points and did not put forward any points for your claims. You did not defend your own position.

good day sir, and again I apologize for the long read.

jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jamesisaacs

Voldemort owns predator. This isn't even fair.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Predator adds a dark lord to his collection!

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tparks  Online

@alexman113: @nick_hero22: @theonetaichou:

Voldemort doesn't really need a specific spell to take away predators cloaking. He can just soak the area in water. It only takes some water to disable his cloak.

Aguamenti shoots a jet of water from the casters wand. When Voldemort and Dumbledore fought, the aguamenti filled a room with a huge jet of water. This would work for disabling Predator's cloaking.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By theONEtaichou

@tparks said:

Voldemort doesn't really need a specific spell to take away predators cloaking. He can just soak the area in water. It only takes some water to disable his cloak.

Aguamenti shoots a jet of water from the casters wand. When Voldemort and Dumbledore fought, the aguamenti filled a room with a huge jet of water. This would work for disabling Predator's cloaking.

I know that, I was debating the points made that HPU magic would not be able to affect Predator tech, then I debated that the revealing spell should work on the invisibility tech of the Predator. The other methodologies of a win for Riddle were inconsequential

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tparks  Online

@theonetaichou:

I understood that, and I think you did an awesome job explaining it. I was just explaining a simpler, less magical way of de-cloaking predator.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theONEtaichou

@tparks said:

@theonetaichou:

I understood that, and I think you did an awesome job explaining it. I was just explaining a simpler, less magical way of de-cloaking predator.

No Caption Provided

is all I can say friend.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kingjohnrocks

@tparks: Untrue. Thank you being #teamVoldemort because I love Voldemort and Dumbledore, but Dumbledore never made the room fill up with Water. He did, however, use as hydrokenetic spell to incase Voldemort in a sphere of water.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tparks  Online

@kingjohnrocks:

Hmmm...It's been a while since I read the book / saw the movie. I must be remembering that part wrong. I thought he had a big jet of water flying all over the place in a huge room. Either way, I think it is still a pretty good method of de-cloaking predator. Either guided fire-hose style, or just surrounding Predator in a bubble.

This is all assuming Voldemort can do this without being killed first. I tend to think he can. Voldemort is capable of flying without a broom and doing it with a great deal of agility and speed. I don't think he is going to be sitting still during this fight which will make it difficult for Predator to target him.

I just keep going back to my original thought that if Arnold Schwartzenegger and Danny Glover can kill a Predator, one of the most powerful wizards in the Harry Potter universe shouldn't have too much of a problem.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nick_hero22

@theonetaichou said:

@nick_hero22 said:

Friend, no one made a no-limit fallacy here, just that the tech of Predator can be affected by HPU. In fact even the no-limit fallacy doesn’t even apply here, no one made that fallacy (and you need to learn where that fallacy applies, many people here in the C’Vine just paint with that fallacy without seeing that it may even seem like a no-limit fallacy but it is not – also you have applied it wrong, sorry mate). The argument presented here is that the revealing spell should work on the Predator’s tech, there are no non-limits imposed. In fact the basis of my claim lies in that HPU magic does affect scientific, non-technological entities and it is most reasonable to deduct that, if the counter is that Predator tech cannot be affected by magic (any magic) that may be construed as a no-limit fallacy (but you are not claiming that so it’s fine).

What I bolded and underlined is exactly my point, you made a claim first that it would not work but you have no proof (deductive or otherwise). I made the counter and while the spell was never used on Predator tech, I have shown through deductive reasoning that Predator tech would not be immune to HPU magic and thus it’s reasonable upon that deduction to deduce that the spell would work on the invisibility tech. You on the other hand have no leg to stand on other than that they are different. No one denies the invisibility is different, but we are not talking about the method of invisibility but how to make that which is invisible be visible. And worse, your counter reasons make no sense. The spell targets the user who is invisible, obviously. The invisible wizard or the invisible Predator here would be the target but let me address the points you have made…

NO-Limits Fallacy

Also called

Inappropriate Generalization
Hasty Generalization
No-Limits Fallacy
Taking one or more non-exhaustive examples from a group that have a property, and making a generalization that everything in that group has that property.
3 is odd, and it is a prime number.
13 is odd, and it is a prime number.
97 is odd, and it is a prime number.
Therefore, all odd numbers are prime numbers.
A common version is to assume that anything can be extended off to infinity, or that since having a little of something is good, having more must be better. It's a line of thinking commonly used by those talking about future technology.
Stating that the revealing spell should be an efficient means of de-cloaking a Predator based off a few instances of it working on an alternate form of rendering invisibility isn't a sound argument no matter how many times you repeat it or try to twist. The fallacy lies in the assumption that since the revealing spell is effective against the particular method of invisibility in the HP Universe that it's efficiency would carry over to alternate methods of invisibility whether they have similar properties or not , which like I have said before, isn't a very convincing argument. This why we have to look at the properties and mechanism that allow for cloaking to be possible to avoid these gross generalizations. It would be like me putting a standard ice cube under a faucet of hot water and watching it melt, and then go getting a cube of dry ice and then making the assumption that since it's still labeled as ice and that there is some similarities that it would still melt under the same conditions as standard ice while ignoring the differences in molecular makeup of the two variations. This example is essentially the argument you are proposing here, and like I have said before I'm not convinced. And, you didn't use deductive reasoning to come to this conclusion; you used inductive reasoning which utilizes speculations, assumptions, and generalizations to reach a conclusion about the probability of something, which is why I don't find your argument convincing since there is also a probable chance that Voldemort's revealing spell would be ineffective using a similar form of logic to make that conclusion.

The nature of invisibility is not in question here; just that the revealing spell would render that which is invisible visible so this point is moot. The revealing spell should work unless you can show it specifically cannot via correlation of the process of becoming invisible (which is basically what you are saying here). In fact the revealing charms/spells in HPU do not correlate to the methodology of the process of invisibility as Dumbledore used one to detect Harry and Ron who were using an invisibility cloak (one of the deathly Hallows in fact), they were not using a disillusionment charm.

By the way later you accuse me of being ignorant of Predator tech (while I do admit I might not be as knowledgeable as you perhaps) I am far from being ignorant. I bring this up because of what you just wrote above, if light was being bounced off the Predator’s body it would stand out like a light bulb at night. That is why white appears so, it bounces all the visible spectrum while black absorbs the vis spectrum ergo bending would render invisible, bouncing would scream “I am here”.

The nature of invisible is quite relevant here because it allows us to make a more accurate hypothesis of the impact that the revealing would actually have on the Predator's cloaking mesh. The reason why it's moot in your opinion is because it doesn't fit your prerogative here, which is to reshuffle the burden of proof on me, to which I never claimed that Voldemort's revealing wouldn't work. I merely stated that basing the potency of it's impact off of previous instances isn't exactly convincing which isn't the same as me objectivity stating that the spell wouldn't work. I have nothing to prove here, so please do try to throw the burden of proof on me when in fact it is you who made the claim that Voldemort's revealing spell would actually be a major factor in this fight. So, again do you have any evidence to offer that isn't built on applying the NO-Limits Fallacy? The invisibility cloak shares almost identical properties with the disillusionment charm in the way with which the users renders themselves invisible. It is quite common for sorcerers to use the disillusionment charms on regular traveling cloaks to create invisibility cloaks, and some invisibility cloaks can be created with the hairs of a supernatural creature that it able to blend into the environment through a methodology that very closely resemblance the disillusionment charm, which works by blending the users physical compounds in the textures in the environment. You also made a another incorrect assumption about the nature of the Predator's invisibility and the visible light spectrum. White is the byproduct of viewing every color in the visible light spectrum, while Black is absence or absorption of color in the visible light spectrum.

How bending light should theoretically produce invisible.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/407677/how-to-make-an-object-invisible/

This is even worse friend. The target of the revealing spell is the person who is invisible, or being in the Predator’s case. In fact here you have a non-sequitur; the target of the spell has nothing to do with either a wizard’s prowess nor the tech of the Predator. And worse you cannot conclude from this that Predator tech will not be affected by the revealing spell.

What I meant by saying that the revealing spell would have to target the user is that the spell would have to effect the connect between the caster and the surrounding environment to render that method of cloaking ineffective since this method of cloaking requires that the physical compounds of the caster merge into the texture in the surrounding environment, while that wouldn't be the case with the Predator's mesh because it doesn't rely on the environment in order to create those effects. Again, I don't have to prove anything; it is you who has to support the claim that Voldemort's revealing spell would actually be a factor in this fight with sufficient evidence.

Like I said (maybe I should have said this in the beginning) Dumbledore used a revealing spell when Harry and Ron were using an invisibility cloak. Other people who have used other methods of being invisible such as the disillusionment charm have also been rendered visible. So clearly the methodology of being invisible is not correlative to the revealing spell i.e. different ways of being invisible but made visible nonetheless.

Also you missed the point of the above, which was in relation to the claim that you made, that scientific, non-technological (in our case Predator tech) physical world entities would not be affected by magic.

The examples you brought forth to show that sorcery in the HP Universe is capable of effecting technological items were quite weak and misconstrued. Those items that you had alluded to in an earlier post had both enchanted and mechanical compounds added to them in order to achieve those effects that you were trying to play off as being the byproducts of simple spells i.e. Ford Anglia and Deluminator, and just because another spell is specifically designed to deal with a natural phenomenon doesn't mean that others spells are capable of applying those same effects to technology or natural phenomenons (Light-Waves), especially if they aren't necessarily created with those intentions in mind. Again, this is a gross generalization.

Again you missed the point of the above, which was in relation to the claim that you made, that scientific, non-technological (in our case Predator tech) physical world entities would not be affected by magic.

Again, where is the objective evidence to support this hypothesis?

The revealing spell is never shown how it renders that which is invisible visible just that it does. The methodology was not described, also you claimed it wouldn't work on Predator tech (specifically the invisible mesh) now you are changing the goal post, now the spell must inhibit the material? What’s next friend, the spell must stop photon movement? You stated that it would not be able to render visible the tech that made the Predator invisible now you are asking the spell to stop the invisibility via specific ways?

I assume the revealing spell would make that which is invisible visible i.e. seen by the naked eye or light move from object to the receiver’s eye, no? Then it also falls into the realm of light waves friend.

So, if the process through which the revealing spell works is unknown, then on what grounds can you make the assumption that it would be effective against alternate methodologies of cloaking? How do we know whether or not the effects of the revealing spell are only limited to camouflage and the potential of its potency being virtually ineffective against alternate methods? You said the process through which the revealing spell is unknown, so how can you genuinely answer any of these question or make the assumption that it is capable of applying it's effects outside of what is shown in the HP Universe? The revealing spell has only been shown to work against the disillusionment charm and the invisibility cloak which blends the user into the surrounding texture, this has no bearing on light-waves. How I'm I moving the goal when all I have said is that Voldemort would have to inhibit the light-bending properties of the mesh in order to de-cloak the Predator?

The methodology is not in question; in fact you haven’t even proven that the revealing spell is specific to the process of the disillusionment charm, which you would need to do to even validate your above point. Tough when different processes of being invisible have been rendered visible by the revealing charm. Also you stated it would not work on the mesh…the question how do you know? What is your proof that type of tech would not be affected – stating that the magical way and the technological way are different is not proof because you (we actually other then it's magic) don’t know how the revealing spell makes things visible? Of course they are different, HPU uses magic, and Predators do not. The question is why won’t it work? Therein lies the rub.

I have addressed these claims up above.

You DO NOT HAVE the counter reasons either! You are only picking this position without reason (besides that you like it, believe it)… there are none, since Riddle has never fought a Predator nor a Predator fought Riddle. Give me a reason why their tech would not be affected? I have given you reasons that magic can and does affect tech and ergo should affect Predator tech, you have given me… nothing! That is what is the issue, give me reasons so I can go “You know what, you are right”. Any format of the reasons; deductive, inductive, scans, quote etc.

Redundant arguments that have been addressed up above.

Irrelevant

This is relevant mate, you stated that Predator tech cannot be affected and posited a proof scenario intended to be indefensible as if this indefensibility is somehow proof of your proposition.

Irrelevant, I don't have to clarify my motives to you nor do I have to defend them since this is off-topic.

The worse part about accusing me of being ignorant is that you missed the whole part where I said I was being silly to drive a point home. I actually have read up on Predator tech btw. But worse you STILL have no way to prove that their tech does not have elements of sorcery in their mesh. Since it is not fully explained you can only speculate within reason (see? deductive reasoning to show that the Predator tech uses technology rather than magic; (1) no magic is ever mentioned or shown in Predator movies, stories, (2) only (futuristic) tech is ever shown or hinted at in Predator stories ERGO it is within reason to state they do not utilize magic to create their mesh, probably only technology). That type of reasoning is acceptable, and is actually a good argument. But outright stating only ‘physical world’ tech is uses is silly since their tech has never been fully explained and there are quantities that are never explained by the films, stories etc.

1) We can simply look that the genre that the AVP Universe is categories in order determine the elements and overall theme that consists of the story, background lore, and concepts that are prevalent in that particular Universe. AVP Universe would be classified into the more hardcore science-fiction genre because the writers and directors of the movies (primary sources) took the time to use scientific information and data during the implementations of technological concepts i.e. Colonial Marines Technical Manual. This isn't the same thing as saying that everything in the AVP Universe is based off of real world scientific information, but a decent amount of it has a basis in real world science.

2) "But outright stating only ‘physical world’ tech is uses is silly since their tech has never been fully explained and there are quantities that are never explained by the films, stories etc." The Predator's technology has been elaborated on quite a bit, such as in novels, comics, video games, and etc. I advise you to evaluate those mediums before making such inaccurate statements, especially when the earlier AVP games gave the the Predator's weapons brief synopses.

Maybe you need to re-read my points again friend. Did I not at least prove that technology can be affected by HPU magic, even if it’s just human tech like the Ford Anglia? Therefore I at least proved something. Forgive me for indulging in this fun at your expense, I do admit it was hard not to.

But the worst thing is you spent the rebuttal shooting down my points and did not put forward any points for your claims. You did not defend your own position.

good day sir, and again I apologize for the long read.

You still didn't prove anything!

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vaeternus

Voldemort, Predator has never shown to be able to defeat anyone who uses magic especially a master in it.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

I don't see why the Predator shouldn't be able to take this, but I have to admit my knowledge on Voldemort is a bit lacking. The Predator has the element of surprise via cloaking device, someone brought up the fact that Voldemort has a spell to reveal hidden opponents. This isn't particularly convincing to me for the simple fact that the Predator's invisibility is based off technology that can successfully bend light; this technology has no basis in magic, so I don't understand how users are making the implications that somehow Voldemort is going to override the Predator's technology through magic when this spell has only been shown to be efficient against other magic practitioners. Another thing I would also like to add is, exactly what reason would Voldemort have for suddenly utilizing a revealing spell when he wouldn't be sure of the exact location of the Predator to begin with nor would be able to anticipate an ambush since Predators have been shown to go undetected by Colonial Marines with Ultrasound Radars and Xenomorphs, who can detect their prey through a process similar to electroreception. So I'm not buying that Voldemort would be able to successfully deduce the location of the Predator and efficiently utilize the revealing spells he has in his arsenal of sorcery. I honestly don't see why a rapid blast for the Predator's Plasma Caster wouldn't be capable of easily ending this match, and even if Voldemort was capable of deducing the Predator's location; how exactly is Voldemort going to counter the massive speed advantage the Predator has over him. The Predator speed is sufficient to point of it being able to close in the gap before Voldemort could utilize some of his more potent spells.

theONEtaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By theONEtaichou

@nick_hero22 said:

@theonetaichou said:

@nick_hero22 said:

NO-Limits Fallacy

Also called

Inappropriate Generalization
Hasty Generalization
No-Limits Fallacy
Taking one or more non-exhaustive examples from a group that have a property, and making a generalization that everything in that group has that property.
3 is odd, and it is a prime number.
13 is odd, and it is a prime number.
97 is odd, and it is a prime number.
Therefore, all odd numbers are prime numbers.
A common version is to assume that anything can be extended off to infinity, or that since having a little of something is good, having more must be better. It's a line of thinking commonly used by those talking about future technology.
Stating that the revealing spell should be an efficient means of de-cloaking a Predator based off a few instances of it working on an alternate form of rendering invisibility isn't a sound argument no matter how many times you repeat it or try to twist. The fallacy lies in the assumption that since the revealing spell is effective against the particular method of invisibility in the HP Universe that it's efficiency would carry over to alternate methods of invisibility whether they have similar properties or not , which like I have said before, isn't a very convincing argument. This why we have to look at the properties and mechanism that allow for cloaking to be possible to avoid these gross generalizations. It would be like me putting a standard ice cube under a faucet of hot water and watching it melt, and then go getting a cube of dry ice and then making the assumption that since it's still labeled as ice and that there is some similarities that it would still melt under the same conditions as standard ice while ignoring the differences in molecular makeup of the two variations. This example is essentially the argument you are proposing here, and like I have said before I'm not convinced. And, you didn't use deductive reasoning to come to this conclusion; you used inductive reasoning which utilizes speculations, assumptions, and generalizations to reach a conclusion about the probability of something, which is why I don't find your argument convincing since there is also a probable chance that Voldemort's revealing spell would be ineffective using a similar form of logic to make that conclusion.

#sigh# mate, quoting a no limit fallacy description, especially right of a website (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProofByExamples) can show that you have an inadequate understanding of said topic, I am sorry to say. I say this because both hasty (I take it to mean speedy) and inappropriate generalization can fall into other fallacies, and in fact is not descriptive of a 'no limit fallacy'.

Mate... we are debating two entities, a HPU character and a PredatorU character. You seem to miss this point I dare say. They have never interacted, but from each respective universe we use logic to deduce what can happen when they meet in a battle forum. And this logic is derived from the premises found in their universe. I say this to reiterate it again. I have shown magic from HPU does affect technology, I have shown that the revealing spell has been used to reveal two different invisibility methods, namely the disillusionment charm as well as the deathly hallow, successfully. I have shown that the same revealing spell has revealed beings invisible by different methodologies, in other words the spell is not specific to the type of invisibility (an example being that Occlumens is a direct counter to Legilimens). The fallacy would only be there if I had no logical reason to state that Predator tech could not be affected, but since I have given proofs (I do understand you might not be convinced but I suspect you would be only convinced if a film occurred with Riddle and a predator, since you have NOT stated ANY reason to support your claims), and logical reasons as well they are not fallacious. Also for you to claim they are fallacious you need to show that they are (also you need to be impartial - you being not convinced is not a logical counter unless you can show the fault of the argument in question).

And what has been your counter... mere disagreement and saying it's not convincing? Where are your premises, proofs and deductive reasons? YOU keep stating the same thing and twisting when I counter it... from magic cannot affect tech (I countered), to revealing spells only works on the disillusionment charm (I countered), now you want the spell to counter the photon movement of the mesh? Otherwise you will not be convinced... mate this fallacy is known as moving the goal posts! You keep changing the points and then you stand and say you are not convinced. Well good sir, convince us your way then. Where are your proofs that show you say is true? Points, premises, deductive reasons, inductive reasons? Again nothing...

BTW you analogy is a disanalogy; we fully know the physcal make-up of ICE (H2Os) vs the physical make-up of cardice (CO2s) and can explain fully what happens at both processes, with respect to Predator tech we DO NOT KNOW FULLY the process nor can we know the process of magic in HPU. Worse using the word ice as a correlation (between ice and dry-ice) falsifies your analogy as I have used cardice, which is still the proper term for the common name dry ice.

But let me try it a different way... PROVE your statement that since Predator tech uses a different methodology of rendering that which is visible invisible, it will not be affected by HPU magic, i.e the revealing spell. And please do make it convincing.

BTW... I said HPU magic affects tech... and gave an example of the Ford Angia (tech) being manipulated by HPU magic therefore Predator tech should be affected... DEDUCTIVE reasoning. I deduced it from the premises given. I would also say you need to brush up on what deductive and inductive reason is, sorry mate.

The nature of invisible is quite relevant here because it allows us to make a more accurate hypothesis of the impact that the revealing would actually have on the Predator's cloaking mesh. The reason why it's moot in your opinion is because it doesn't fit your prerogative here, which is to reshuffle the burden of proof on me, to which I never claimed that Voldemort's revealing wouldn't work. I merely stated that basing the potency of it's impact off of previous instances isn't exactly convincing which isn't the same as me objectivity stating that the spell wouldn't work. I have nothing to prove here, so please do try to throw the burden of proof on me when in fact it is you who made the claim that Voldemort's revealing spell would actually be a major factor in this fight. So, again do you have any evidence to offer that isn't built on applying the NO-Limits Fallacy?The invisibility cloak shares almost identical properties with the disillusionment charm in the way with which the users renders themselves invisible. It is quite common for sorcerers to use the disillusionment charms on regular traveling cloaks to create invisibility cloaks, and some invisibility cloaks can be created with the hairs of a supernatural creature that it able to blend into the environment through a methodology that very closely resemblance the disillusionment charm, which works by blending the users physical compounds in the textures in the environment. You also made a another incorrect assumption about the nature of the Predator's invisibility and the visible light spectrum. White is the byproduct of viewing every color in the visible light spectrum, while Black is absence or absorption of color in the visible light spectrum.

How bending light should theoretically produce invisible.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/407677/how-to-make-an-object-invisible/

sir, I do not know what to say anymore. That is a human theory on how bending light would make an object invisible. Not Predator tech, considering Predators DO NOT HAVE THEORIESas they already have the tech to render that which is visible invisible. Your theory can be countered, hence a 'theory'. If it were true, it would be fact not theory. If I created a method of being invisible using tech totally different from that (as in Hollow Man the film) I would not have a theory but a scientific fact that this method makes one invisible. Predators, again, do not have theories as they have a scientific factual method.

You keep stating that the nature of invisibility is important, but you cannot counter your own argument. How does the revealing spell make one wearing a deathly hallow (thus invisible) visible? Or even how the revealing spell makes one using the disillusionment charm visible? The exact methodology? Do you know it? Please quote for us from the many HP books...you cannot can you? Why? It is because it was not described? Then if it was not described how do you know that it would not make the Predaor tech visible even with their visibility on? What if the spell stops all light from being bent in the immediate vicinity... that would certainly render Predator tech moot? How do you know it doesn't? Again therein lies the rub...

The reason why it's moot in your opinion is because it doesn't fit your prerogative here, which is to reshuffle the burden of proof on me, to which I never claimed that Voldemort's revealing wouldn't work.I directly quoted this to show you how wrong you are. Firstly there is no need to insult me if you find my arguments tough, another fallacy known as an ad hominem attack. Show the proof rather than just calling into question without reason. To answer your charge here "There is no reason why Voldemort's revealing spell should have an effect on the mesh that provides the Predator's cloaking"That is what you said... please just read up on your own arguments if you have forgotten what you even said. So you did claim, and have yet to back it up, now you lie and say you never said such and I am twisting things to make you have the burden of proof? That's rich mate, I am sorry for being a tad harsh. You have made many claims, many positive like this one I quoted, and have yet to back them up.

You have everything to prove here, you claimed it, now prove it. Again you applied the no limit fallacy wrong. It is getting tiring now.

You just made a claim again... how do you know the invisibility cloak cloak (created by the devil and not the way the other cloaks in HP are made - as shown by the fact that the invisibility cloak never loses its invisibility unlike the other magic invisibility cloaks) shares the same properties as the disillusionment charm? Any premises? Proofs? Again a claim and...nothing. Let me guess, I have to prove your positive claim as well? The burden of proof lies with who now here? Sorry to use sarcasm to drive a point home.

As for visible spectrum and the Predator tech, you stated that the tech bounces light off (I did give you the benefit of the doubt that you were mistaken by writing, you had been stating bending before), that would create a white zone, and make whatever bounces light off show up as white. That would not make the Predator invisible but highly visible. Again, I did not make a mistake. Sorry mate.

As for sorcerers using disillusionment charms on their travelling cloaks to create invisibility cloaks (such a long way around instead of just using the disillusionment charm on themselves) what is your proof? Another positive claim. Where is the evidence?

The examples you brought forth to show that sorcery in the HP Universe is capable of effecting technological items were quite weak and misconstrued. Those items that you had alluded to in an earlier post had both enchanted and mechanical compounds added to them in order to achieve those effects that you were trying to play off as being the byproducts of simple spells i.e. Ford Anglia and Deluminator, and just because another spell is specifically designed to deal with a natural phenomenon doesn't mean that others spells are capable of applying those same effects to technology or natural phenomenons (Light-Waves), especially if they aren't necessarily created with those intentions in mind. Again, this is a gross generalization.

Again, where is the objective evidence to support this hypothesis?

The examples I bought forward as opposed to what did you bring? Nothing but your lack of being convinced? An I am the one who has misconstrued points? Friend, I don't know what to say. What did I misconstrue... a Ford Angia (made by Ford, a car I have seen as well as driven, of which I can buy online right now) did things in HPU that it doesn't do in real life? And did said things due to being affected by magic? Come now you are reaching. It's absurd. Nothing was interpreted wrongly or falsely i.e. misconstrued. Please show where? Again, you make a positive claim and... nothing. No proof.

Again changing the goal posts! I used those examples to show tech being affected by magic, the manner of the spells nor the intent of the spells was not part of my points. You have misconstrued my examples, and now attempt to destroy your straw man (and failing at that as well). As for the objective evidence I have said it, just read up on my first rebuttal to you.

Where is your objective evidence?

(1) So, if the process through which the revealing spell works is unknown, then on what grounds can you make the assumption that it would be effective against alternate methodologies of cloaking? How do we know whether or not the effects of the revealing spell are only limited to camouflage and the potential of its potency being virtually ineffective against alternate methods? You said the process through which the revealing spell is unknown, so how can you genuinely answer any of these question or make the assumption that it is capable of applying it's effects outside of what is shown in the HP Universe? The revealing spell has only been shown to work against the disillusionment charm and the invisibility cloak which blends the user into the surrounding texture, this has no bearing on light-waves. How I'm I moving the goal when all I have said is that Voldemort would have to inhibit the light-bending properties of the mesh in order to de-cloak the Predator?

(2) I have addressed these claims up above.

(3) Redundant arguments that have been addressed up above.

(4) Irrelevant, I don't have to clarify my motives to you nor do I have to defend them since this is off-topic.

(5) I know this because it was elaborated on in the movie Predator 2 via light-bending capabilities. A good deal of the lore in the AVP Universe is based on real world science and technology (Colonial Marines Technical Manual), even though some of it has some fictitious elements to it due to the fact that there are several futuristic concepts in the lore, so bring up the possibility of the Predator's technology having supernatural aspects goes to show that you aren't that knowledgeable in regards to the AVP Universe.

(1) On what grounds are you saying it would not be affected? This is the crux of the matter, you have been stating it would not be affected, but yo have no way to show that, worse you have not even given ANY points but your doubts and you being unconvinced. It is true the revealing spell have been used on the invisibility cloak and the disillusionment charm, I have stated that since magic from HPU does affect tech, then there are logical, deductive reasons that the spell should affect the Predator tech. Your counter has been... nothing. Worse you don't even seem to read why I countered in such a way, you don't seem to grasp my rebuttal in lieu of the points you made. Carry them over please. And you don't answer what I ask in my rebuttal, just more questions from you. Again... nothing.

(2) You have not addressed the claims. you didn't... just quote them back to me please.

(3) Again carry over the arguments and re-read. You will see you have not addressed them.

(4) This is the worst one, no one said anything about your motives, nor defending your motives. #sigh# this was in response to the proof-scenario you posited. Again, following and carrying over arguments. I say this because I assume when you post a rebuttal, a specific one in my post, I should at least read my post and then read your rebuttal. Carry over the argument so I can understand what you are refuting as well as my rebuttal can be specific to that specific rebuttal. I garner you could do that at the very least.

(5) I quote.."even though some of it has some fictitious elements to it due to the fact that there are several futuristic concepts in the lore, so bring up the possibility of the Predator's technology having supernatural aspects goes to show that you aren't that knowledgeable in regards to the AVP Universe." Some, not all. Concepts. These 'loopholes' are what I mention, since we do not know 100% how all the Predator tech works by, and while a very strong case that there is no magic being utilized, no one can rule out that it is not being used. Only with 100% surety could you rule it out. A case which cannot be made here, ergo you cannot state to 100% surety no magic is used in Predator teach, especially since many concepts are left undefined.

1) We can simply look that the genre that the AVP Universe is categories in order determine the elements and overall theme that consists of the story, background lore, and concepts that are prevalent in that particular Universe. AVP Universe would be classified into the more hardcore science-fiction genre because the writers and directors of the movies (primary sources) took the time to use scientific information and data during the implementations of technological concepts i.e. Colonial Marines Technical Manual. This isn't the same thing as saying that everything in the AVP Universe is based off of real world scientific information, but a decent amount of it has a basis in real world science.

2) "But outright stating only ‘physical world’ tech is uses is silly since their tech has never been fully explained and there are quantities that are never explained by the films, stories etc." The Predator's technology has been elaborated on quite a bit, such as in novels, comics, video games, and etc. I advise you to evaluate those mediums before making such inaccurate statements, especially when the earlier AVP games gave the the Predator's weapons brief synopses.

You still didn't prove anything!

(1) Yes let us look at the genre, science fiction which includes a variety of things including magic. Does the Frank Herbet Dune series not fall into science fiction genre? All science there? The genre proves nothing. I agree with you that the PredatorU uses science, but asl long as there are things and concepts not 100% explained, no one can rule out other concepts such as magic. Decent amount is still not 100% surety. BTW even the flying car in HPU is based in real world science. Combustion engines and four tire axle are all real world science.

(2) Been elaborated a bit, not fully explained. See the difference? And I have evaluated the mediums hence I can also state that as long as there are parts not elaborated, we can infer anything including magic which you cannot counter. If it was fully explained then you could state outright that there is no magic involved. Hey maybe the skulls they collect provide their homeworld with magic properties that help them locate the mineral they use in creating their invisibility mesh. See??

Sir, you have made many positive claims and have not answered them. I would humbly ask that before you reply to this long post, you please provide a post showing your reasons why the predator tech would not be affected. Forget what I have said, pretend I just asked you to prove your case. Can you please do that...

good day

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tparks  Online

@nick_hero22:

As far as the revealing spell goes, I still think that Voldemort can use water spells to disable predator's camouflage even if the revealing spells do not work.

Replying to your comment on Predator's speed, I would argue that Voldemort is much faster then predator. He is powerful enough to fly at speeds much faster then the predator. He also has the ability to do this without a broomstick. He has also been seen casting spells while he is flying. He also can apparate which is the HP universe equivalent of teleporting.

Volemort also has a huge advantage with the location of this battle. When Voldemort was a student at Hogwarts, he discovered a lot of secrets of the castle. He would know the locations of hidden passages, how the stairs change directions, and many other mysteries of the Castle like the Chamber of Secrets or Room of Requirement.