Link vs Obi-Wan(please read OP)

Hwkfan296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Hwkfan296

So my little brother's friends all come up to me with battles asking for my opinion. Some are stupid, others are close. This one was asked after a long day and I didn't feel like thinking about it. I promised the kid that I would get an answer. Please help. I personally think Obi-Wan would win, and I said that but I always try to fulfill my promises. (Especially to seven year old boys who ask about geeky stuff)Pleas

Link

Any Link
Any Link

VS.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan from Episode III
Obi-Wan from Episode III

Rules

• Link only gets his Master Sword and Hylian Shield, boomerang, bow and arrows, and bombs. (he can make bomb arrows)
  • Obi-Wan has his lightsaber, but no offensive Force powers such as push or pull. He can only increase his speed, agility, and reaction time.
  • In this case none of Link's items can be damaged by the lightsaber, but they can be deflected by it.
  • Both are morals off and bloodlusted.
  • No prep time for either.
  • Fight takes place here:
The Coliseum in Rome
The Coliseum in Rome

Please help guys. I personally think Obi-Wan wins, but I promised the kid I would do this. Don't blast me if this is a serious mismatch please.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Wolfrazer

So when you say no force powers, does this mean all manner of Force ability or just offensive? If the latter, then Obi-Wan should win given he is gonna be much faster, have precog, etc, if the former than Link because without The Force, Obi-Wan isn't gonna be able to utilize his lightsaber all that well if at all.

Also that is OoT Link in the picture not TP.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Yep

Hwkfan296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok thanks and yes I know the picture is wrong. It was the best out of what I had. This was intended by the kid to be a swordsmanship contest. No Force powers at all. That confused me so I went with what I had. Thank you.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hwkfan296: Alright No Force of any kind? Yeah then Link should take it.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

Link

Triforce > Star Wars force

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're asking who the better swordsman is, then it's Link. Although taking away Obi's use of the force is unfair IMO.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah link is a serious swordsman.

Hwkfan296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'm a bit curious, what would make this battle more even? I mean, if I give Obi-Wan Force powers he would stomp most likely because Link has nothing to counter that. Link has no items that Obi-Wan couldn't deflect or flick away with the Force. Thanks for answering though, the kid is satisfied.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolfrazer

@hwkfan296: Really? Nothing. But as long as he got the answer.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So when you say no force powers, does this mean all manner of Force ability or just offensive? If the latter, then Obi-Wan should win given he is gonna be much faster, have precog, etc, if the former than Link because without The Force, Obi-Wan isn't gonna be able to utilize his lightsaber all that well if at all.

Also that is OoT Link in the picture not TP.

Pretty much this. Without the Force Obi-wan wouldn't be able to operate his weapon.

ShadoVvlite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadoVvlite

@hwkfan296: Make a any version of Link with a limited set of items, then you may give Obi-wan his force and it will balance out more. Make sure you give Link balanced items, some are useless, while others can stomp hard.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would Nayru's Love protect Link from the Force? And would Obi Wan be able to deflect Din's Fire?

Hwkfan296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer, @shadovvlite: How about if I give Obi-Wan Force powers to speed up combat speed, increase reaction time, and heightenagility, but no powers such as Force push,and such?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DarthAznable

@wolfrazer, @shadovvlite: How about if I give Obi-Wan Force powers to speed up combat speed, increase reaction time, and heightenagility, but no powers such as Force push,and such?

So basically just take away Obi-Wan's offensive force powers.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolfrazer

@hwkfan296 said:

Then that's gonna be in favor for Obi-Wan to win, Link does have great combat speed, great agility and reaction time, but I don't think it's near Obi-Wan's level.

Thanofleeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much this. Without the Force Obi-wan wouldn't be able to operate his weapon.

So he would just drop the lightsaber out of clumsiness just because he doesn't use the force? Are all Jedi bumbling idiots without the force?

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whirlwind_33 said:

So he would just drop the lightsaber out of clumsiness just because he doesn't use the force? Are all Jedi bumbling idiots without the force?

No, they just wouldn't be able to operate their weapons properly and they would end up hurting themselves. You need to be Force sensitive whether Jedi or Sith to utilize a Lightsaber optimally.

@shootingnova Do you have a quote/source for Jedi/Sith needing the Force to use a lightsaber properly? I saw Silver post it somewhere.

ShadoVvlite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hwkfan296: If you're going to do that, give link some equipment.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@whirlwind_33: I don't know what Silver quoted, but there is this quote from Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force:

Anyone can conceivably pick up a lightsaber and use it, but sabers are extremely difficult to wield. Those used to swinging solid swords often find using a weightless blade a challenge one that can have dangerous consequences. Only through rigorous training and enhanced senses through the Force can a Jedi use a lightsaber to its full potential.

Source: Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force
Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolfrazer

@shadovvlite: Even with gear, nothing Link has would really be a problem for Obi-Wan to handle. Of course this depending on his gear, but most of it(least offensive wise) I don't see working well. Now defensive wise, that could help Link, however he still has the problem of Obi-Wan being faster and having precog on his side that favors him the win.

Although his offensive items don't necessarily have to hit Obi-Wan, Link could come up with a plan and get Obi-Wan in a position to kill him. But again with Obi-Wan being faster and having precog, I don't see that working without Obi-Wan seeing what Link is going for.

But anyway it seems this match has already been done, so ado.

ShadoVvlite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShadoVvlite

@wolfrazer: Well that depends. I told him to make it a simplistic Link meaning not limiting him to just the TP version, then he would be able to conjure up a whole lot more items from various games, which can vary from useless to over-kill, but balancing it out so that it can be a even match.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonez_

Link is more skilled if it is just a swordsmanship battle as OP is implying.

But if Kenobi has force, as much as I hate to say it, Link dies.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whirlwind_33 said:

Anyone can conceivably pick up a lightsaber and use it, but sabers are extremely difficult to wield. Those used to swinging solid swords often find using a weightless blade a challenge one that can have dangerous consequences. Only through rigorous training and enhanced senses through the Force can a Jedi use a lightsaber to its full potential.

Source: Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force

Hwkfan296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've modified the OP. Please let me know what you think.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#27 tparks  Online

I think this is pretty even, as long as we aren't talking composite Link. Link is often greatly over-exaggerated on here. Some of his high end feats are legitimate, other times it's kind of sketchy the feats people come up with.

Looking at Link as a whole from any of the games, I think this would be a good fight, with Obi Wan winning in the end. Obi Wan's speed, and pre-cog being the deciding factors.

galaxy_buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

obi wins

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wolfrazer

@tparks: Well technically Link is always composite Link, abit according to the Skyward Sword manga and TP referencing that Link has the power of the Chosen Hero.

But yeah anyway...Obi-Wan wins with Force, without Link.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OrdinaryAlan

@shadovvlite: Even with gear, nothing Link has would really be a problem for Obi-Wan to handle. Of course this depending on his gear, but most of it(least offensive wise) I don't see working well. Now defensive wise, that could help Link, however he still has the problem of Obi-Wan being faster and having precog on his side that favors him the win.

How could Obi Wan stop Din's Fire attack? Or the close-range effects of the Bombos Medallion? Link can also instantly be at full life/energy at least 4 times via potions. Can Obi Wan use the force to heal himself?

Composite Link has a huge arsenal to use. Magic Cape to become invisible, Golden Gauntlets to lift several tons (and presumably could use offensively). The Goron Tunic has a high resistance to heat (I realize that a lightsaber's heat is probably much hotter than the inside of a volcano, but it deserves mentioning that Link has a resistance to heat).

As I've also mentioned, Link has Nayru's Love, a powerful protection spell which makes him invulnerable to any damage while in use.

I'm not saying Link wins, but this definitely isn't a stomp for Obi Wan. Also, I admit to not being very well versed in Obi Wan's abilities, other than what I've seen in the movies.

Thoughts?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ordinaryalan: I did say most of Link's offensive, not all. Like I don't see Obi-Wan having problems with bombs, arrows, boomerang and so on things like that. Din's fire does have a range limit, so Obi-Wan just needs to stay out of range really. Now Link's defensive items will help him, but considering that Obi-Wan is faster, has precog and so forth, he'll be hard pressed to actually tag him.

Again though this is considering if Obi-Wan was allowed to have The Force here, which he doesn't and Link doesn't have all his items here, so all this is moot.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again though this is considering if Obi-Wan was allowed to have The Force here, which he doesn't and Link doesn't have all his items here, so all this is moot.

True. Fair enough.