• Morals On

#2 Posted by ShootingNova (15724 posts) - - Show Bio

What can Gannicus do?

#3 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas 

#4 Posted by ShootingNova (15724 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bo88gdan said:

Leonidas

A quick bit of research points me to this, but if somebody can prove otherwise, I'd gladly retract my point.

#5 Posted by ChaosMarvel (994 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with Gannicus.

Beating a gladiator unarmed and killing another while frickin blindfolded are pretty good feats. Especially when you take into account how many opponents gladiators can take on at the same time.

#6 Posted by Killemall (18326 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

A quick bit of research points me to this, but if somebody can prove otherwise, I'd gladly retract my point.

It would be hard, and this is coming from a huge Spartacus fan, granted the series in which Gannicus was introduced he didnt lose a single battle despite having to fight blindfolded and stuffs like that. But later he struggled with the Egyption, had problem with Spartacus so yeah Leonidas would probably win is what i am thinking. But mind you, Gannicus , thanks to the number has his appearence has greater number of feats on similar scale as Leonidas so i personally wont be surprised if someone picks Gannicus.

Thats just my 2cents on the matter.

#7 Posted by ShootingNova (15724 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Well, wasn't Gannicus nearly killed by the Egyptian and saved by his friend "O??????" (what was it, I know it starts with "O"?)?

#8 Posted by Strider92 (16160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@ShootingNova said:

It would be hard, and this is coming from a huge Spartacus fan, granted the series in which Gannicus was introduced he didnt lose a single battle despite having to fight blindfolded and stuffs like that. But later he struggled with the Egyption, had problem with Spartacus so yeah Leonidas would probably win is what i am thinking. But mind you, Gannicus , thanks to the number has his appearence has greater number of feats on similar scale as Leonidas so i personally wont be surprised if someone picks Gannicus.

Thats just my 2cents on the matter.

To be fair even Oenomaus had trouble with the Egyptian and we've seen Oenomaus roflpwn both Spartacus and Crixus at the same time so Egyptian might just be that good.

Although I do agree Gannicus shouldn't have had so much trouble with Sparatacus. I suppose you could argue that when he became free he wasn't training as much so lost some of his skill. Still killing another Gladiator blindfolded and besting 20 gladiators in the primus (I think it was 20 right? Someone said it during Vengeance) I think gives him the ability to challenge Leonidas.

#9 Posted by ShootingNova (15724 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: "Oenomaus". That's right.

#10 Posted by ChaoticSuperman (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas trained since he was a child, easily takes this.

#11 Posted by Shawnbaby (10482 posts) - - Show Bio

Gannicus has a lot more impressive combat feats. In the Arena...Leonidas has no chance.

#12 Posted by Strider92 (16160 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaoticSuperman said:

Leonidas trained since he was a child, easily takes this.

And yet he had to be saved from the giant Persian guy who was basically just a brawler by his men? If Leonidas takes this he doesn't do it easily.

#13 Posted by ChaosMarvel (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Still killing another Gladiator blindfolded and besting 20 gladiators in the primus (I think it was 20 right? Someone said it during Vengeance) I think gives him the ability to challenge Leonidas.

There didn't seem like 20 but yes thats what the guy said in Vengeance. I'll need to go watch that ep again and count the kills lol!

#14 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas. If nothing else his shield gives him a distinct advantage.

I personally think he is the better warrior also.

#15 Posted by OneVision_OnePurpose (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with Gannicus, more experience in fighting without support and has defeated tougher people.

#16 Posted by Jayfournines (4024 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll go with Gannicus, he has mobility and experience fighting several people. Leonidas (while skilled) was never shown fighting anyone that were not cannon fodder henchmen

#17 Posted by ohgodwhy (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember the Spartan warrior in the first Spartacus series? I can't remember his name but he was regarded as being almost unbeatable and he only lost because Sparticus abused his weakness to sunlight (Because he was albino). The Spartan was a real a beast, he bested Oenomaus (Who is imo the best warrior seen in the entire series.)That was one Spartan warrior and Leonidas is the King of all the Spartans. This is the same Leonidas who was tearing through Persian trained warriors, not slaves, like they were made of paper.

Therefore I believe Leonidas will take this without too much difficulty.

#18 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19969 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas. He was trained since he was a child and is far more deadlier than a self-taught gladiator. Even if that gladiator has years of experience, it is nothing compared to the closest thing to a super-soldier in history, who has been trained in harsh conditions since he was 7.

#19 Edited by SlimJ87D (9370 posts) - - Show Bio

Spartans were well trained, but Gannicus received similar to equal training.

That being said, Spartans are mostly trained to fight in an army to fight along side their comrades. Sure they are still great 1 on 1 fighters, but gladiators were trained to fight 1 on 1 and only 1 on 1. This is a 1 on 1 battle and I believe Gannicus has the advantage.

Lastly, for those of you who think just because you trained since 7, it doesn't mean it makes you better. Take the UFC for instances. There are dozens of people that began training at 16 or even 18 and defeated people with multiple black belts and fought their whole life.

#20 Posted by Jayfournines (4024 posts) - - Show Bio

@ohgodwhy said:

Remember the Spartan warrior in the first Spartacus series? I can't remember his name but he was regarded as being almost unbeatable and he only lost because Sparticus abused his weakness to sunlight (Because he was albino). The Spartan was a real a beast, he bested Oenomaus (Who is imo the best warrior seen in the entire series.)That was one Spartan warrior and Leonidas is the King of all the Spartans. This is the same Leonidas who was tearing through Persian trained warriors, not slaves, like they were made of paper.

Therefore I believe Leonidas will take this without too much difficulty.

Are you talking about the Shadow of Death? But that's a different dude that has nothing to do with Leonidas. that's like saying Robin would beat Deathstroke because he was trained by Batman.

#21 Posted by Shawnbaby (10482 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosMarvel said:

@Strider92 said:

Still killing another Gladiator blindfolded and besting 20 gladiators in the primus (I think it was 20 right? Someone said it during Vengeance) I think gives him the ability to challenge Leonidas.

There didn't seem like 20 but yes thats what the guy said in Vengeance. I'll need to go watch that ep again and count the kills lol!

There were over 20 Gladiators in the Primus....Gannicus didn't defeat them all personally but he was the last man standing.

Leonidas has no feats that put him on Gannicus' level though. Gannicus has also been training since he was very young...and instructed only in the art of killing other gladiators. Leonidas is no doubt the superior Soldier and General...but when it comes to 1 on 1 Combat...Gannicus will rip in to shreds.

#22 Posted by ohgodwhy (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jayfournines: Yes the Shadow of Death. The Spartans were all true warriors and the 300 were the best of the best and out of all of them Leonidas was the greatest. They are a warrior race, trained to fight from birth whereas Ganicus was a slave who was forced to fight. For me, the whole point of having a legendary Spartan warrior in Sparticus, was to show just how powerful the Spartans were. If Leonidas is anywhere near as powerful as the Shadow of Death, which he should be if not even more powerful then he would surely be far more powerful than Ganicus who only became great because Oenomaus got taken down by the Shadow of Death.

As another point of reference, Leonidas took down a real monster in the film single handedly and then killed a couple of the Persians most elite soldiers, the Immortals.

#23 Edited by Strider92 (16160 posts) - - Show Bio

@ohgodwhy: A few things I will point out:

1. True Gannicus was made to fight but if you rewatch Gods Of The Arena you will see that he loved it. He was laughing and smiling through most of his matches. While he may have not had a lot of choice in the matter he still took a lot of enjoyment out of it. People who are really good at what they do tend to enjoy it.

2. Just because you are trained from birth doesn't make you automatically better than someone who isn't. Someone else pointed that out in an earlier post.

3. Leonidas had trouble with that big Persian and had to be saved from him by his men. He did not beat him single handedly infact he'd be dead if it wasn't for his soldiers. The Shadow Of Death was a LOT more skilled than the giant brawler in 300.

#24 Posted by ohgodwhy (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Sorry for the late reply this flood control is ridiculous, should be for like 3 hours or something not an entire day. Anyway...

I just rewatched that fight and no one helped him out. At the start of the fight the monster throws and axe at Leonidas while he wasn't looking so while he could've killed Leonidas then, it wouldn't have been through a real fight but a sneak attack. Then about midway through their fight, a Spartan tries to help but quickly get kicked away serving no real purpose. Leonidas uses the time, about 1 second, to draw his sword. If they had been having an official fight you would assume he would've had time to draw his sword at the start of the fight anyway so all this did imo was make the fight fair.

Would you not agree that this monster was at the very least as powerful as the Shadow of Death? He did after all effectively pwn 2 Spartan elite warriors in seconds and yet he was still defeated by Leonidas. As I've mentioned already the Shadow Of Death was by far the most powerful character in all of Spartacus and was only defeated due to Spartacus and Crixus using his weakness to sunlight against him. Even in a 2v1 he still put Crixus out of action for a long time and ended the career of Oenomaus.

My conclusion is this: Leonidas>ImmortalMonster=ShadowofDeath>Gannicus and I'm sure you can at least agree that the Shadow of Death > Gannicus.

In response to your second point, I agree.

#25 Posted by Strider92 (16160 posts) - - Show Bio

@ohgodwhy: To a certain extent I agree but the thing is although that giant seemed pretty tough he didn't really have any feats to put him on par with the Shadow Of Death. For example we the know that:

1. The Shadow beat Onemaus in single combat.

2. He was pwning Spartacus and Crixus at the same time and they where only saved by Crixus temporarily blinding him

3. The Shadow took a whole sword though his chest and didn't even seem to mind.

The giant in 300 has no feats to speak of or any real combat training he was effectively a just a brawler.

In my opinion The Shadow of Death would beat Leonidas as he did the others so yes I agree Shadow Of Death>Gannicus but not I would still argue Shadow Of Death>Leonidas given his feats.

#26 Posted by Sufferthorn (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

Both of their lives suck more than mine.

#27 Posted by ohgodwhy (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Fair Points. The way I see it the Immortal Monster is stronger than the Shadow, as was evident when he booted two Spartans quite a few meters with little effort. He also took a full sword through the bicep and a spear to eye and carried on fighting before getting beheaded. On a side note Leonidas cut his head off with one swing, while lying on his back and I'm not sure but didn't it take Spartacus a few swings to take of the Shadow's head? Anyway I would agree that in terms of technique the Shadow is probably a little better but then again the Monster blocked an attack from the first spartan warrior before kicking him away, showing that he does know how to fight to at least the same level as a Spartan Warrior. Plus Crixus and Spartacus only beat the Shadow by exploiting a weakness whereas Spartacus won while initially being caught by surprise.

Also Leonidas showed many almost superhuman abilities during the film such as throwing a spear with such speed that it launched the guy it hit quite a few feet backwards, as well taking on several trained warriors with ease and killing the Immortals.

Imo it would be close but Leonidas has the slight edge.

#28 Posted by Spartan101 (2290 posts) - - Show Bio

leonidas would win,not by a lot though,he just has that bit more of training with the spartan lifestyle,gannicus is slightly less conditioned imo.

#29 Edited by Strider92 (16160 posts) - - Show Bio

@ohgodwhy: There are quite few cases of inhuman abilites in Spartacus as well (I remember raising an eyebrow at a few things). Sparatcus breaking a stone wall with his barehands and killing 3 people before any of them have a chance to hit the ground both seem inhuman to me. So was Gannicus sending a roman flying like 5ft in the air with nothing but a sword swing and being fast enough to dodge an arrow even though he wasn't looking in its direction. So in terms of stats they probably aren't that different.

To be fair the eye-stab on the Immortal giant was what took him out of the fight. He didn't attack again afterwards because Leonidas cut his head off. While the giant did show great durability in taking a stab to the arm without much sign of discomfort the Shadow practically gutted himself and didn't seem to mind. When Crixus stabbed him in the chest he pulled the sword through himself just so he could headbut Crixus and then pulled it out and kept fighting as if it never happened. He was also able to send Crixus flying a good few meters back with nothing but a kick.

I would definitly maintain that Shadow Of Death>>Immortal Giant. He seems stronger, more skilled and arguably more durable.

#30 Edited by Hksaru (463 posts) - - Show Bio

Spartacus was irrationally buffed in skill throughout his own series. It isn't really explainable how he got to Crixus' level, but he did. By magic.

Crixus himself is below Gannicus. But he is very well disciplined and skilled, and will put up a fight against anyone. Crixus is kind of like the Thing or Vegeta.

Gannicus acts more like Deadpool. Only he's the fucking best there is.

I haven't watched through the Vengeance series. Right from the first episode, Spartacus' entire character was changed due to the new actor, even the way he fought.

Oenomaus>Gannicus>>>>>Crixus>Spartacus

Though, in a fight to the death between big O and G, I would give it to Gannicus. He is a genius fighter, Oenomaus is merely more experienced.

Leonidas had difficulties with that big ogre thing, and would have died if not for the intervention of his ally. With all due respect, Gannicus would have owned that thing without a sweat.

#31 Posted by Obtrusive (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have to say Gannicus, mostly because he is celtic, and they don't have the battle formations the greeks do. Leonidas gets his strength from everyone in his platoon being together. By himself he is slightly less impressive. That being said the coolest person from the battle of Thermopylae was the spartan commanding the spartan ships. That guy was md.

#32 Posted by Gannicus8282 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@theswordsman: Crixus also uses a shield and yet we all have seen how easily Gannicus makes him look inferior on a regular basis. (Note all of Gannicus's fights between him and Crixus and Barcus, both of whom use shields and have been easily beaten with little to no effort by Gannucus in all of there encounters during training (the exception being when Gannicus willingly lowered his twin gladius swords in response to his strong feelings for Melitta, allowing Crixus to beat him and assume role as the new champion of Capua as seen in the episode "Reckoning". Aside from killing a rival gladiator blindfolded in what can only be described as a classic fight scene, Gannicus arose as champion in the Primus during the season finale episode and was the only gladiator to win his freedom. He easily takes this.....EASILY

#33 Posted by RogueShadow (10049 posts) - - Show Bio

Leo.

#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, not really a fair battle in my opinion. Leonidas on one hand was praised as as Spartan king and a warrior but we barely had anything to go by except for statements and a few battles against featless cannon fodder Persian soldiers. Gannicus had several episodes to build up a rep and to display his skills and he faced opponents of similar skill. I don't like the argument that Leonidas trained from a young age and Gannicus didn't. Gannicus and the other Gladiators trained at a later stage in their life but they also lived to fight and that's all that mattered to them.

I'm giving the edge to Gannicus due to Leonidas being largely featless.

#35 Posted by dondave (34713 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, not really a fair battle in my opinion. Leonidas on one hand was praised as as Spartan king and a warrior but we barely had anything to go by except for statements and a few battles against featless cannon fodder Persian soldiers. Gannicus had several episodes to build up a rep and to display his skills and he faced opponents of similar skill. I don't like the argument that Leonidas trained from a young age and Gannicus didn't. Gannicus and the other Gladiators trained at a later stage in their life but they also lived to fight and that's all that mattered to them.

#36 Posted by Gannicus8282 (48 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by rcranium (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Gannicus. 1 on 1 combat is all he really did. Leonidas was more well rounded. He was a soldier. This is a gladitorial fight. Spartacus btw got better fighting after he fought in those dungeons.

#38 Edited by FANNYBUSTER (129 posts) - - Show Bio

The Shadow of Death is no ordinary Spartan though, so comparing his skills with Leonidas is irrelevant. He once solo'd 100 men in the arena and his durability is superhuman.

#39 Edited by Supersaiyan_Danger (722 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much what Midget says

#40 Posted by Cgoodness (3942 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonids has the better training but Gannicus has the 1vs1 experience....but Leonidas not having his shield puts him at a huge disadvantage, Spartans specialized and perfected the Shield so I think Gannicas wins because Leonidas is without his favorite and best weapon.

#41 Edited by Gannicus8282 (48 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by mikesterman (723 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness he does have his shield... read the op... that being said lenidas wins because of the damn shield

#43 Posted by leonkarlen123 (3976 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaosmarvel: Leonidas is better fighter. He and 299 other spartans killed armies of Persian soldier. Many hundred thousands of soldiers with spears and shields. He killed the most alone and any gladiator could never do that

#44 Posted by Carter_esque (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

Gannicus ROFL-stomps Leonidas.

#45 Edited by Wolfrazer (6114 posts) - - Show Bio

Battles get so confusing for me sometimes.

1st its: "Oh we have to go by feats and everything, not just statements or whatever that say "so and so trained since X or was apart of the best warriors to this"

2nd its: "Oh ya so and so was trained by X since Y and he should be better than the other despite having no feats depiecting such, here let us give statements about so and so without backing any of that."

Boggles my mind at times...same with some other threads aside from this one.

#46 Posted by jackbensley777 (640 posts) - - Show Bio

leonidas and gannicus both love battle, leonidas is too strong and brutal and mighty! if you rewatch that seen where it shhots parallel to him after the phalanx breaki dont think anyone couldve got past him their. Im a spartacus fan and my favorite chara cter is gannicus, but king leonids is just too AWESOME in battle