#1 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

V

10 Salamander FireDrake Space Marines.

&

10 Black Templar Sword Brethren Space Marines.

&

10 Grey Hunters Space Wolves Space Marines.
Scene of Battle Un-Populated.

Character Links - Kharn the Betrayer, Salamander FireDrakes, Black Templar Sword Brethren & Grey Hunters Space Wolves.

Rules/Scenario -

Battle takes place in the ruins of Fallout3 DC Un-populated 01:00 AM.

Kharn & the Team start 1 mile apart.

Space Marines have full info on Kharn 12 hrs to talk tactics pre battle & are there to take him out for Good.

Kharn has no idea hes being Hunted but is on high alert.

Kharn has his usual Gear/Tech for this encounter.

FireDrakes have their usual Armour & armed with a Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield each.

Sword Brethren Have their usual Armour & armed with a Power Sword & Storm Shield Each.

Grey Hunters have their usual Armour (+ Jet-Pack) & are armed with a Frag Grenade, BoltGun & a Power Axe each.

The Hunt/Battle must take 48 hrs because 1 minute past the 48hr mark a huge Nekron fleet will lay waste to DC & the Characters wont have time to leave the planet.

No BFR, Time Travel allowed.

Who Wins?

#2 Edited by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

Clears, easy.

#3 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

Team win this. They are a group of highly experienced warriors with full knowledge of who they are hunting and 12 hours prep, that's to much even for Kharn.

#5 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

Team win this. They are a group of highly experienced warriors with full knowledge of who they are hunting and 12 hours prep, that's to much even for Kharn.

Except Kharn killed over 20 Khorn Berserkers who worked with him personally, and attacked him at the same time :/ These guys have nothing on Kharn.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Except Kharn killed over 20 Khorn Berserkers who worked with him personally, and attacked him at the same time :/ These guys have nothing on Kharn.

Yea but that's beserkers, they aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. This team has Grey Hunters and Sword Brethren, tactical minded warriors that know everything about him and 12 hours prep to capitalise on that, not to mention they have the jump on him from the get go.

#7 Posted by Eisenfauste (8273 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't clear easily, but he still does, he is too quick form them, plus he has ridiculous durability, bolter shells don't have a thing on him.

Speed blitz and daemon weapon ftw.

#8 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yea but that's beserkers, they aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. This team has Grey Hunters and Sword Brethren, tactical minded warriors that know everything about him and 12 hours prep to capitalise on that, not to mention they have the jump on him from the get go.

None of that matters when...

1) They are all inferior to him tactically. Kharn is a Captain with over 10,000 battle experience and successful battles.

2) They have no way getting past his Demon Armour and his version of a Iron Halo.

3) They are all stats wise way lower than him.

4) He can one shot them all with his weapons.

5) he is flat out a better fighter when the distance is closed. Berserkers in Close Combat > Standard Marines/Grey Hunters. Kharn killed 20 of his own men who attacked him at the same time!

He clears.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2: He may have better tactics but the team still has full info on him and 12 hours prep

#11 Edited by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2: He may have better tactics but the team still has full info on him and 12 hours prep

And they are not the first to have this advantage. The 20 World Eaters had full Info, first hand experience, and surprised attack him at the same time. Didnt help none.

#12 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

And they are not the first to have this advantage. The 20 World Eaters had full Info, first hand experience, and surprised attack him at the same time. Didnt help none.

Yea 20 drooling beserkers does not = 30 tactical warriors

#13 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@cadencev2 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yea 20 drooling beserkers does not = 30 tactical warriors

Its not 30 tactical warriors. Its 10 Firedrakes who suck at H2H, 10 Grey Hunters who do not ever play nicely with others, and the only real 10 that matter, the Sword Brethren.

The grey Hunters will not even team up in any deep meaningful way, that is how Space Wolves are in every novel I read them in period. Its their moral code to do things for the thrill of the hunt. They like being heroes in their own sagas.

Sword Brethren I have alot of respect for mainly due to the comic series The Damnation Crusade. They are formal, but close range specifically. Which is at odds with the much slower Fire drakes who are not known in lore as equals to Berserkers much less Kharn in skill via lore or game mechanics. Kharn will tear through the Fire Drakes easy since he is faster than normal Power Armour Marines, and they are slower. Heck he can negate their Armour with his Plasma Pistol.

Just not seeing it.

#14 Edited by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Kharn Berserkers are actually some of the most skilled close combat fighters of any Marine Chapter. The Black Templars are considered on whole the best fighters in the loyalist Space Marine chapters and their Chapter master/Emperor's champion was trained by Kharn who then in turn trained the Black Templars. Thats the reason Templars like Beserkers have their weapons chained to ther wrists because that is Kharn's fighting style. Berserkers are far from mindless beasts and Khrone's mark doesn't decrease their fighting ability it increases it. As shown in Trials Of Azrael Kharn actually became a better fighter the more angry he became to a point he was striking and parrying faster than a chapter master could keep up with. The same applies to Berserkers to a lesser extent.

@eisenfauste said:

He doesn't clear easily, but he still does, he is too quick form them, plus he has ridiculous durability, bolter shells don't have a thing on him.

Speed blitz and daemon weapon ftw.

Considering he killed 1 million Marines at the Battle Of Lion's Gate before he got his demonic force-field I would say he could clear easily:

Here's Kharn's recount of the Battle Of Lions Gate:

I was the first to stand upon the walls of the Imperial Palace. I was the last to be borne away from Terra, my body broken by the slaying of one million of the Emperor's lackeys through the breach at Lions Gate.

None shall ever surpass my count.

The Contest is over. I won.

-The Weakness Of Others

#15 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

Now my take on this encounter

Yes ive played my Joker :)

They all die a horrible death by the Invading Necron Fleet.

& why u ask? The Space Marines are sent to get rid of Kharn for good.Yes they will probably try & encounter Kharn in an early exchange with the Grey Hunters being at the fore of the attack but with the 12hrs prep & their strict code the Salamanders & Black Templars at least will think about forming a defensive position & holding their ground in one of the many ruins in the city.

& imo i cant see Kharn taking on a well defended position when he could take great joy in tracking down & decapitating the Grey Hunters.

Thus in by sacrificing themselves the Surviving Marines in their minds have achieved their goal in killing Kharn, be it at the hands of the Necrons :)

#16 Edited by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos_prime: I think Kharn has the most lore and feats than any single 40k character despite not being Chaos's flagship character lol! Although Ahzek has quite a few feats too. Chaos seems to get the most respect in the books for some reason. Not that i'm complaining as Chaos is da best!

#17 Edited by Eisenfauste (8273 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@eisenfauste: Well they were the first race I ever played so I have a soft spot for them. My list kinda goes:

1. Black Dragon's (Loyalist Marine Chapter) - I love their lore its great.
  2. World Eaters (Chaos Chapter)
  3. Thousand Sons (Chaos Chapter)
  4. Grey Knights (Loyalist Marine Chapter)
  5. Fallen Angels (Possibly Chaotic Chapter)
  6. Dark Eldar
  7. Eldar
  8. Necrons
  9. All Other Chaos Chapters
  10. All Other Space Marine Chapters
  11. Tyranids
  12. Orkz

so really my favorite race is Dark Eldar but my favorite single faction is the Black Dragons they're basically what if 40k had a chapter of Marines who were like Wolverine and were at the same time loved and hated by the imperium. They're pretty much a grey area.

#19 Posted by Eisenfauste (8273 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: Thats pretty sweet you got into tabletop, I'm only a recent 40k fan, like last year, and tabletop looked like a serious amount of work. I agree on the thousand sons, if I were to show some sort of sympathy/respect for a chaos chapter then it would be them. My fav chapter would be Fire Drakes. Necrons are the awesome though, can't really do much to them, unless they just woke up lol.

#20 Edited by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@eisenfauste: Haven't played the tabletop in a good 4-5 years and yes initially its very hard to remember everything. Yeah the Thousand Sons are probably one of the most misunderstood factions in 40k their only real crime was following their Primach who thought he was doing the right thing and becoming unintentionally corrupted. Ahzek when he saw what his chapter was becoming tried to save them all from becoming Chaos spawn, messed up and cursed them all to an eternity as souls stuck inside their armor. Ahzek then went into penance for what he did for the better part of 9 thousand years refusing to use his powers because he didn't want to hurt his chapter any futher and submitted to the Black Leigion under a false name and simply submitted to their ill treatment of him because he thought he deserved it even though he could have killed that splinter crew in a heartbeat (which he did end up doing). So now he's plowing his way through the 40k-verse trying to get into the Black Library to save his chapter from his own mess up despite the fact any Thousand Son still with a concious thought wants him dead despite the fact Ahzek was only trying to save them being devoured by Chaos. Sometimes their portrayed as victims and other times as out for personal gain so its quite hard to say who's side they are actually on.They don't affliate themselves with any of the other Chaos factions really (they outright hate the World Eaters) and as whole don't take much interest in the whole imperial/chaos war.

#21 Edited by Eisenfauste (8273 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: Have you read battle of the fang, I heard it was good and it involved the thousand sons....

#22 Posted by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@eisenfauste: No I haven't read it but I know the gist of what occured. I should get round to doing it. I'm quite behind on my Heresy era reading.

#23 Posted by dondave (37380 posts) - - Show Bio

Clears

#24 Edited by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: Have you read battle of the fang, I heard it was good and it involved the thousand sons....

A Thousand Sons All is dust... was a great read :)

#25 Posted by Eisenfauste (8273 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Eisenfauste (8273 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos_prime: Oh yeah duh, I blanked for a second, I actually got that book for christmas, loved every bit of it, Graham Mcneil is an awesome writer.