#1 Posted by Jonesio (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Khal Drogo vs Robert Baratheon:

Robert carrys his warhammer and wear his plate armor. Drogo carrys the curved sword of the Dothraki.

#2 Edited by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

This one is hard to say. My initial thought was to say Drogo, but that's mostly just cause in the show the only version of Robert we see is the old, fat, drunk versoin. But long before that he DID win the war and he did kill Rhaegar Targaryen, who was also a badass, in open combat. Drogo may not have ever lost a battle, but I also don't recall him ever actually fighting anyone else who was particularly skilled either, or really over-coming great odds.

Based on the Mormont vs Qotho fight, it's possible that the Dothraki in general don't really know how to deal with armor. Drogo's only actual advantage is speed, but without knowledge of how to properly fight a knight in full-plate, and against an opponent who's larger and just as skilled as him, I think the fight would eventually end similar to the Mormont/Qotho fight.

#3 Posted by Jonesio (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde said:

This one is hard to say. My initial thought was to say Drogo, but that's mostly just cause in the show the only version of Robert we see is the old, fat, drunk versoin. But long before that he DID win the war and he did kill Rhaegar Targaryen, who was also a badass, in open combat. Drogo may not have ever lost a battle, but I also don't recall him ever actually fighting anyone else who was particularly skilled either, or really over-coming great odds.

Based on the Mormont vs Qotho fight, it's possible that the Dothraki in general don't really know how to deal with armor. Drogo's only actual advantage is speed, but without knowledge of how to properly fight a knight in full-plate, and against an opponent who's larger and just as skilled as him, I think the fight would eventually end similar to the Mormont/Qotho fight.

Well put; Robert was a force to be reckoned with. I'm not entirely certain that Robert would be at a massive disadvantage without his armor anyway... although I do think Drogo would out skill him in combat, I suspect they may have been similar (ish) in terms of physical strength. But yeah, I think in this situation Robert wins 6/7 times out of ten.

#4 Posted by Strider92 (16824 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone have any feats for young Rob?

#5 Posted by Jonesio (31 posts) - - Show Bio

As Mooncihlde says he killed Rhaegar Targaryen in single combat (and he was considered one of the most skilled knights at the time) at the battle of the Trident.

He won various battles in this rebellion but not much is known of them.

Battle of Summer Hall:

Not much is known about the battle, only that Robert manged to arrive first and won three battles in a single day, defeating the forces of the three loyalist houses in turn as they arrived. Additionally robert killed Lord Fell in single combat.

He also personally lead the attack on the Greyjoy rebellion, storming through the crumbled walls with ned and their troops.

#6 Posted by space_coyote (1147 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough call but I'm gonna go with the Khal. He probably had much more combat experience what with all his pillaging and plundering. And he was never actually defeated in battle.

#7 Posted by Jonesio (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@space_coyote said:

Tough call but I'm gonna go with the Khal. He probably had much more combat experience what with all his pillaging and plundering. And he was never actually defeated in battle.

That is true, however, Robert has defeated what you could call one of the most revered warriors of Westeros in his day. As Moonchilde pointed out I don't recall Drogo defeating anyone of that caliber. On the flip side Drogo did have to keep his crown by defeating challengers (who knows how many) other than his raids. I'm sticking with Robert.

#8 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio

I give it to Robert the armour makes it sway to much to his side in my view just like with out it the Kharll would win.

#9 Posted by steelhound56 (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting matchup.

Robert takes it for the following reasons.

He's wearing better protection. Full plate makes an arakh almost worthless in a ground duel, as shown by Jorah's fight with Qotho.

Curved blades like arakhs are better suited for riding down foes upon horseback, as the curve lets the blade cut through flesh with far less resistance when compared to a broadsword. The arakh is not nearly as effective when it comes to piercing thrusts, for two reasons

The blade is curved, making a powerful stab much more difficult to achieve.

The weapon itself was developed for fighting unarmored opponents.

Robert was an absolute monster in his prime. Standing 6'6'' tall, and possessing unbelievable levels of strength and endurance. Ned describes him in Game of Thrones as "a six and a half foot tall, antlered God" during his prime years in The Rebellion. He wields a warhammer so heavy that Ned could not wield it in battle. Ned's not a small man himself, so I figure the hammer itself must have weighed at least 60 pounds, if not more.

Robert possessed enough strength to swing said big ass hammer with enough force to completely cave in a steel breastplate, as evidenced by his fight with Rhaegar on the Trident, where he hit Rhaegar so hard the rubies in his breastplate scattered all over the river. And he did this while on horseback. making it even more impressive since he couldn't swing with his full strength behind the blow, lest he fall off his horse (a death sentence for Medieval style combat)

A warhammer possesses significant advantages over an arakh when both are compared.

Warhammers

Give the user an extended reach

Dont have to strike vital areas to cause massive injuries. If you are hit in the shoulder, arm, leg etc. with a warhammer, you are not going to be able to use that limb anymore, as the sheer concussive force behind the blow likely will break bone.

Take great strength, endurance, and skill to wield effectively. Ned describes Robert's skill with his hammer as "No one could stand before him when he had his hammer". This implies that Robert possessed prodigious skill in melee combat, as also evidenced when he won the melee at Harrenhall.

Arakhs (Dothraki blades)

Give the user a blade made for slicing through flesh

Greater speed than a warhammer, and more unpredictable angles of attack.

Deals far less damage than a warhammer blow for blow.

Are made for horseback combat.

Granted, Drogo will not make it easy for Robert. He is the greatest Khal in recent memory, having subjugated many Dothraki horselords by way of combat. He will likely be a little faster than Robert, if only because he is unarmored while Robert is in full plate.

I see Robert as possessing a good sized advantage over Drogo in both size and physical strength, as well as wielding the more effective killing weapon (If Drogo gets tagged once, its game over) and wearing far better protection than the Khal will be wearing.

Robert takes this fight 7-8/10 times due to his plate armor, immense strength and endurance, and prodigious skill with a warhammer.

The other 2-3 times Drogo lasts long enough against Robert to get behind him, hamstring him, and use a dagger to get in a stab through Robert's visor.

#10 Posted by capfan80 (348 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dothraki rely mainly on numbers and mobility, much like Huns or Mongols. One on one with a well trained, well equipped nobleman they would be at a disadvantage. Having said that Drogo is awesome, but I think Robert would win.

#11 Posted by Bo88gdan (4639 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Baratheon

#12 Edited by Cregan_Stark (2174 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert wins easily. Spite. Arakhs can't cut through plate, Robert's fury wins the day.

#13 Posted by SSJLozza (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Baratheon wins, due to armour advantage.