#1 Posted by Owie (3300 posts) - - Show Bio
Karnak vs Mantis, H2H only 
(both are standard recent versions, they can use any skills/powers that have to do with h2h fighting, such as strength, targeting abilities, etc.)
 
Battle takes place inside a depopulated IKEA, starting at 15'.
 
In character.  Win by any means.
 
Who wins and why?  I'd like to focus on feats rather than just reputations.
 
Karnak
Mantis
#2 Posted by Strider92 (15321 posts) - - Show Bio

Due to his abilities Karnak should win but due to the fact he seems to suck i'm going to say Mantis as her combat feats are a lot better.

#3 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Mantis had the upper hand over Karnak in GotG, even though according to her own predictions, he would have eventually defeated her had the fight actually concluded.
Moderator
#4 Posted by matchesmalone21 (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Due to his abilities Karnak should win but due to the fact he seems to suck i'm going to say Mantis as her combat feats are a lot better.

#5 Posted by Owie (3300 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
Mantis had the upper hand over Karnak in GotG, even though according to her own predictions, he would have eventually defeated her had the fight actually concluded.
Oh, interesting.  You don't happen to have any scans of it?
#6 Posted by sandiego008 (3283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

Mantis had the upper hand over Karnak in GotG, even though according to her own predictions, he would have eventually defeated her had the fight actually concluded.

I kind of remember reading this ... but I still think mantis should take this.

#7 Posted by Saren (24394 posts) - - Show Bio
Moderator
#8 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11357 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
The guy on top in the first scan looks like Brainiac.
#9 Posted by sandiego008 (3283 posts) - - Show Bio

Scan proves nothing but ... if mantis doesn't knock him out he'll win ... but if she does she wins ... she just states how long she has to k.o. him as she is knocking the crap out of him ... still going mantis.

#10 Posted by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandiego008 said:

Scan proves nothing but ... if mantis doesn't knock him out he'll win ... but if she does she wins ... she just states how long she has to k.o. him as she is knocking the crap out of him ... still going mantis.

Agreed, I believe Black Panther has proved twice decades apart that all you have to do to beat Karnak is KO him before he exploits said weaknesses. So quite doable.

#11 Posted by Owie (3300 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:
Thanks for posting it.  I like when he uses his power to find a weakness in something abstract like a technique, instead of just a physical object/person.
 
@Skaddix said:

@sandiego008 said:

Scan proves nothing but ... if mantis doesn't knock him out he'll win ... but if she does she wins ... she just states how long she has to k.o. him as she is knocking the crap out of him ... still going mantis.

Agreed, I believe Black Panther has proved twice decades apart that all you have to do to beat Karnak is KO him before he exploits said weaknesses. So quite doable.

True...although in addition to his ability to find weaknesses, he also has about 1 ton strength, slightly above peak human speed and above human durability (he's taken hits from, for instance, Gorgon, without faltering much), so it shouldn't be too easy to take him out even if you try to do it quickly.  I've only seen the more recent Black Panther fight with him, but honestly I thought it was kind of silly how quickly he won.
 
He can also use the environment to his advantage in a way she can't, breaking the floor to cause chasms, knocking stuff over, etc.
 
@Strider92 said:

Due to his abilities Karnak should win but due to the fact he seems to suck i'm going to say Mantis as her combat feats are a lot better.

Who would you say is the best person/people she's beaten in just H2H?
#12 Posted by Strider92 (15321 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

@Strider92 said:

Due to his abilities Karnak should win but due to the fact he seems to suck i'm going to say Mantis as her combat feats are a lot better.

Who would you say is the best person/people she's beaten in just H2H?

Well she held her own against the whole of the West Coast Avengers:

#13 Posted by Saren (24394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie: I remember him saying he could detect flaws and weaknesses in a person's psyche as well in Jenkins' Inhumans run.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:

@Owie: I remember him saying he could detect flaws and weaknesses in a person's psyche as well in Jenkins' Inhumans run.

It's worth noting that Jenkins said he never read a single issue with the Inhumans prior to writing that volume, he simply had a basic idea of who the characters were and did his own thing. Which is a running trend for Jenkins, come to think of it. 
 
PS - Thanks for posting the scans.
Moderator
#15 Posted by Saren (24394 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Owie: I remember him saying he could detect flaws and weaknesses in a person's psyche as well in Jenkins' Inhumans run.

It's worth noting that Jenkins said he never read a single issue with the Inhumans prior to writing that volume, he simply had a basic idea of who the characters were and did his own thing. Which is a running trend for Jenkins, come to think of it.

PS - Thanks for posting the scans.

Ah, I thought that was cool. Even cooler since he said he could not detect a single flaw in Black Bolt's mind and body.

No problemo.

Moderator
#16 Posted by Owie (3300 posts) - - Show Bio
@Strider92: Nice.
@CitizenBane said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Owie: I remember him saying he could detect flaws and weaknesses in a person's psyche as well in Jenkins' Inhumans run.

It's worth noting that Jenkins said he never read a single issue with the Inhumans prior to writing that volume, he simply had a basic idea of who the characters were and did his own thing. Which is a running trend for Jenkins, come to think of it.

PS - Thanks for posting the scans.

Ah, I thought that was cool. Even cooler since he said he could not detect a single flaw in Black Bolt's mind and body.

No problemo.

There was also a recent time when he tried to detect the flaws in one of the Inhuman's plans, and also he also detected flaws in an invisible energy barrier around Hala.  He's also used his sense to detect things in a kind of clairvoyant manner sometimes.
#17 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane: That volume was pretty cool in general. Black Bolt and Karnak were the highlights for me.
Moderator
#18 Posted by sandiego008 (3283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:


@Skaddix said:

@sandiego008 said:

Scan proves nothing but ... if mantis doesn't knock him out he'll win ... but if she does she wins ... she just states how long she has to k.o. him as she is knocking the crap out of him ... still going mantis.

Agreed, I believe Black Panther has proved twice decades apart that all you have to do to beat Karnak is KO him before he exploits said weaknesses. So quite doable.

True...although in addition to his ability to find weaknesses, he also has about 1 ton strength, slightly above peak human speed and above human durability (he's taken hits from, for instance, Gorgon, without faltering much), so it shouldn't be too easy to take him out even if you try to do it quickly. I've only seen the more recent Black Panther fight with him, but honestly I thought it was kind of silly how quickly he won.

He can also use the environment to his advantage in a way she can't, breaking the floor to cause chasms, knocking stuff over, etc.

I'm aware (well aware of karnak) ... I'm a semi fan of both characters ... I just feel mantis would take this. Based on her feats I kind of put her up as one of the best h2h in the marvel universe.

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Mantis would destroy Karnak h2h..he's terrible.

Moderator