• 145 results
80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By 80sBaby

@ghostravage: IMO, I'd say that the incident with Red She-Hulk is Hulk's best striking feat (he's also lit up the entire Dark Dimension with his punches as Savage Hulk, btw.). As for best overall, I'd probably go with Hulk being hit by an attack that was capable of destroying a universe and then using his thunderclap to redirect it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Moonman78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@80sbaby said:

@ghostravage: As for best overall, I'd probably go with Hulk being hit by an attack that was capable of destroying a universe and then using his thunderclap to redirect it.

LOL... alrighty then.

Hulk isnt anywhere near the level of being able to tank a universe-destroying attack. The writer must have been on crack if that actually happened.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@80sbaby: Wow... That feat its crazy! What do you think about it? I don't know what to say... Its just too much IMO...

Moonman78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Moonman78

It's defiantly on some PC superman level stuff you have to admit

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@80sbaby: Superman's actually got a stupider feat. At one point the "omniverse" was collapsing and he did... something and saved the omniverse. http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/superman-saved-the-omniverse-614002/ Not the multiverse. The omniverse. Whatever. Not his general power level.

@beatboks1: After looking at this post: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/stargirl-vs-ms-marvel-1467303/#9

I have decided you are right, Stargirl does stand a good chance at taking Iron Man or Ms. Marvel. I'm still going to give it to them just due to experience, although it's a very close fight and Stargirl might actually outclass them in terms of sheer power.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By beatboks1

@ghostravage said:

Well well... I didn't know much about Ultra Humanite and for that reason i took SheenLantern's "fact" for granted, now that i see that those powerhouses need to work together to beat Ultra Humanite, i consider that pummeling on Power Girl quite reliable and NOT a low feat. Thank you.

Yeah pre COIE Ultra was one of the "primo" bad guy's of Earth 2.

The guy has strength and blunt force durability easily Superman level.

He's one of the most powerful minds in the DCU who has actually controlled several heroes from other dimensions with his TP and across time at once ( even though three of those heroes have TP resistance). Not to mention matched Brainwave Snr in TP battle, a character who has telepathically mad the Spectre leave a fight while giving mental commands to the rest of the JSA and TP created illusions in the minds of the human race on a global scale. ( he's also telepathically defeated the combined power of MMH, Grodd, Hector Hammond, Jemm and others).

With his TK he has thrown around Superman and Alan Scot Green Lantern at once.

To top it all off he's a super genius and prep god who as early as the 40's made

• robots that could battle Superman
  • death rays that could destroy cities
  • devices that could control active volcanoes
  • genetically manipulated people to give them powers like Electricity projection and control (Deathbolt) , atomic power to be able to fly blast and alter atomic structure ( Cyclotron), and the power to alter/control molecular structure of ones own body ( Amazingman).
  • Time machines
  • teleporters and much more.
  • Perfected so many areas of medicine well before it's time like brain transplants in the 40's, biochemical warfare, cloning and gene manipulation

He successfully played with the cosmic balance to erase all the heroes from his world from existence

Perverted the character of the JSA so that they would fight their own children ( in his words whoever won he would as once his mind altering affects wore off their guilt over killing their parents or children would be their undoing)

Stole the power of a 5th dimensional imp and rules the world, absorbed almost all the energy that was available to obtain and increase himself immensely.

Time manipulate ( on several occasions) to make things go the way he wanted and set history up JUST how he needed.

He's soloed so many teams and teaming of teams in DCU.

He's VERY far from a lightweight character. he certainly has the strength and raw power to beat PG to a pulp. Speed isn't something he's known for or ever exhibited however. PG should never have had a chance against him because just a few pages earlier she was fighting him in her head.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I've got the pages back the front but these are two of the ones before the other. Poor writing I'll grant but not because PG got tagged, for one thing she's known ultra for years fought him with the JSA several times and he's ALWAYS had TP since he acquired the powerstone and implanted it in his brain to bathe his brain in it's power, so basically since 1942. But because quite frankly the likelihood a genius like Ultra would have ever allowed her the chance to even break his hold and strike back is PIS. I mean he's lost to the heroes every time but usually because some underling that he crossed or thought nothing of crossed him and turned sides selling out his plan or giving the heroes the way to beat him. Also the ending is a bit of PIS. PG eventually burns him badly with her heat vision causing major damage to his body. This part was PIS for a few reasons, first he's taken energy blasts of high order MANY times before ( like from Starman and Star Spangled kid) and never been badly damaged or tanked them, second he always has spare ape bodies ready that he transfers his brain into ( bodies he's genetically grown/cloned and enhanced). why the hell would he have such damage and allow it to happen. I mean when his underling Cyclotron crossed him and went nuclear ( making himself a living Nuclear bomb) Ultra just mentally teleported his brain to the safety of a new body.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

Avengers take it

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostravage: Yeah, it was crazy, but most of the Top Tier characters (Superman, Thor, etc.) have over the top feats like this.

@80sbaby: Superman's actually got a stupider feat. At one point the "omniverse" was collapsing and he did... something and saved the omniverse. http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/superman-saved-the-omniverse-614002/ Not the multiverse. The omniverse. Whatever. Not his general power level.

@beatboks1: After looking at this post: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/stargirl-vs-ms-marvel-1467303/#9

I have decided you are right, Stargirl does stand a good chance at taking Iron Man or Ms. Marvel. I'm still going to give it to them just due to experience, although it's a very close fight and Stargirl might actually outclass them in terms of sheer power.

Yeah, that one was insane.

@80sbaby said:

@ghostravage: As for best overall, I'd probably go with Hulk being hit by an attack that was capable of destroying a universe and then using his thunderclap to redirect it.

LOL... alrighty then.

Hulk isnt anywhere near the level of being able to tank a universe-destroying attack. The writer must have been on crack if that actually happened.

That's why I take the characters averages showings and not merely high-end feats. But, to be fair, other characters have equally ludicrous feats and posters on the Vine accept them. Why not Hulk? He actually has dynamic strength so his abilities are even more "plot device" than most others.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By dum529001

@80sbaby:

Hulk has three more universe-level feats.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@80sbaby:

Hulk has three more universe-level feats.

Yeah, I know but I wouldn't put them above the Nightcrawler fight.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By dum529001

@80sbaby:

I'm just saying. Some people who don't know enough about Hulk think that it's a one-time thing.

Avatar image for czarny_samael666
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@80sbaby said:

LOL... alrighty then.

He wasn't, it was just a pocket dimension, but I could be wrong, I've read that comic months ago.

Now to the thread:

Atom Smasher punching BA, is just another argument to say that BA isn't really that strong, but unless AS won with BA, I am not going to use it against Teth and for AS. Besides, problem with giants, is that they are easier to hit and their weak spots are easier to hit. I see Iron Man or Ms. Marvel taking him out.

His intangibility wouldn't stop Mjolnir, Thor already affected Vision when he was intangible.

I've seen Citizen Steel fighting with Gog, Mangog and Black Superman. Black Superman one-shotted him, so I don't see why Thor and Hulk (when they will see that he has to punched stronger) won't be able to do the same. He seem to be brawler like Hulk, so they would probably go against each other with Hulk winning this fight pretty easily.

IDK Stargirl at all.

Power Girl don't seem to be close in strength to Superman, but since he was capable of holding her own against people like WW, Supergirl and Black Superman, she would give some problems to Thor (other flyers wouldn't be able to match her, until something changed in Ms. Marvel's solo series).

Hawkman can hurt his enemies with his mace, but I don't see him winning this. His strength is also below Iron Man and Ms. Marvel, so one of them who wouldn't go for Atom Smacher, should take on him and win.

Thor's lightnings also will be a factor here and considering that Star Girl is a factor here, I see JSA giving problems to them, a specially to Carol and Tony, which would make Thor use his lightings against all of his targets here.

Avengers ftw, after good battle.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By dum529001

@czarny_samael666:

It wasn't literally the whole universe. You can't actually destroy the whole universe because the universe is endless.

Hulk destroyed a large "dimension" of the universe. Dimensions like that are so big they make galaxies look like a grain of sand.

High level mega-beings are commonly known to have large sections of the cosmos reserved for themselves and their power, the dimensions being so big that they are referred to as a "little universe" or "pocket dimension".

For example:

Marvel high level mega-beings such as Dormmamu, the Nameless ones, Cytorrakk, etc.

DC high level mega-beings such Darkseid , Highfather of new genesis, the Greek pantheon, etc.

What did Hulk do to Nightcrawlers realm?

He destroyed it with a thunderclap.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666:

It wasn't literally the whole universe. You can't actually destroy the whole universe because the universe is endless.

Hulk destroyed a large "dimension" of the universe. Dimensions like that are so big they make galaxies look like a grain of sand.

High level mega-beings are commonly known to have large sections of the cosmos reserved for themselves and their power, the dimensions being so big that they are referred to as a "little universe" or "pocket dimension".

For example:

Marvel high level mega-beings such as Dormmamu, the Nameless ones, Cytorrakk, etc.

DC high level mega-beings such Darkseid , Highfather of new genesis, the Greek pantheon, etc.

What did Hulk do to Nightcrawlers realm?

He destroyed it with a thunderclap.

1.Universes and even multiverses were destroyed in comics. They aren't literally endless.

2.How do You know that this dimension was big? Crossroads for example didn't look large. Similar with any Hell-dimension, which are ruled by more powerfull being than this Hulk's opponent. Dimensions mostly are rather small, closer to country-size. Like most of Skyfather and Hell-Lords dimensions.

3.This wasn't high level being. If You really belive that Nightcrawler is that powerfull try to make a battle between him and mentioned people like Cyttorak or Dormammu. Or even Darkseid who is below Thanos. Plus his realm is just his planet.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By dum529001

@czarny_samael666:

Nightcrawlers dimension went for eons. It was very big.

The power of gamma rays on full display here as the Hulk's "gamma-spawned might" can also give light to an "eons-dark cosmos" in Incredible Hulk #126:

No Caption Provided

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001:

1.Hulk attacked the device and the device broke and then destroyed that dimension.

2.It was said that it is "world splinter", not universe one.

3.Eons means nothing in this case, since we don't know what does that really mean.

This is dimension of lesser demon, who had planet level device that destroyed that dimension. Not Hulk, but this device. Not universe-device, but "world" one.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By dum529001

@czarny_samael666:

The comic never said nor showed that Hulk destroying the device. Hulk merely smacked back the force it was putting out.

The word "world" can be reference to something other than a planet(such as a universe).

An eon is a billion years. It can be both a vast mesuremnt of time and distance.

The Dark crawler was even able beat the Nameless Ones, guys who could give Dr. Strange a good fight.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An "eon" is a measure of time, not distance.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666:

The comic never said nor showed that Hulk destroying the device. Hulk merely smacked back the force it was putting out.

The word "world" can be reference to something other than a planet(such as a universe).

An eon is a billion years. It can be both a vast mesuremnt of time and distance.

The Dark crawler was even able beat the Nameless Ones, guys who could give Dr. Strange a good fight.

1.Lol, I am more than sure that when I've read it couple hours ago it was saying that it deflected his sonic impulses back on his device, not cosmos. o_O

2.But why should be?

3.Where?

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: The problem I have with your analysis is that Atom-Smasher isn't just a size manipulator. He's also a density manipulator who possesses a degree of super strength and durability when even at normal size/ density (well... normal size for him, as he's bigger than Shaq). This is why he can reach sizes the Marvel giant characters (Hank Pym, Janet Van Pym, etc.) cannot. They can only reach 50-60 feet tall. He's reached hundreds of feet. Their bodies start collapsing on themselves when they reach anything beyond their 50-60 feet, but his body is durable enough to grow larger than all of the Marvel's size manipulators put together. Comparing the Marvel size manipulators to Atom-Smasher is like comparing Volstagg to the Thing. Sure, they are both big brick characters, but one of them completely outclasses the other.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: The problem I have with your analysis is that Atom-Smasher isn't just a size manipulator. He's also a density manipulator who possesses a degree of super strength and durability when even at normal size/ density (well... normal size for him, as he's bigger than Shaq). This is why he can reach sizes the Marvel giant characters (Hank Pym, Janet Van Pym, etc.) cannot. They can only reach 50-60 feet tall. He's reached hundreds of feet. Their bodies start collapsing on themselves when they reach anything beyond their 50-60 feet, but his body is durable enough to grow larger than all of the Marvel's size manipulators put together. Comparing the Marvel size manipulators to Atom-Smasher is like comparing Volstagg to the Thing. Sure, they are both big brick characters, but one of them completely outclasses the other.

Why only 50 feet? Pym while fighting with Abosrbing Man in Avengers Academy in Fear ITself looked to be close to tallest buildings in Dubai, which are listed here and 1st 100 are all above 500 feet.

But ok, it will give him ability to lift around 100,000 tons I belive (one of the heaviest, is Taipei 101 and is around 1,600 feet. Which means that in 300 feet he will be able to lift at least 1/5 of it. Taipei 101 weights around 700,000 tons, so he will be able to lift 125,000).

Not to mention that he would have to prove that he still can see his enemies and that he is fast enough to hit them in this state. Besides, before he will be able to attack, he will already be hit by either: Ms. Marvel or Iron Man from distance.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By dum529001

@willpayton:

Yeah I know. At times, distance is referenced with the time it takes for light to travel a billion years.

Nonetheless though, the comic was plainly referring to an entire cosmos.

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: My bad. Having checked various sources Hank Pym's limitation had been removed a couple years back (not sure about the other size manipulators). That said, basing a character's height on artwork isn't always a good idea. For a very long time the Thing was technically shorter than Mr. Fantastic, but he was usually drawn to be nearly as large as the Hulk. Galactus seems to go from a few dozen feet to thousands to feet without actually using his cosmic power to increase his size.

When Atom-Smasher was at his Shaq size he was able to take on the likes of Robotman, Commander Steel and a somewhat weaker Solomon Grundy (who wasn't his weakest incarnation, but also wasn't his usual Solomon Grundy smash version either). At his largest size and density increase Iron Man and Ms. Marvel would have to go all out to potentially even hurt him.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By willpayton

Yeah Atom Smasher is no joke. I know that in comics people like Iron Man routinely take on and easily defeat giant-sized enemies, but AS wont be that easy. Realistically, if Iron Man is fighting him and AS gets his hands on him, even once, it's lights out for Tony. And Ms Marvel would get killed quickly as well if she's not being careful.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: My bad. Having checked various sources Hank Pym's limitation had been removed a couple years back (not sure about the other size manipulators). That said, basing a character's height on artwork isn't always a good idea. For a very long time the Thing was technically shorter than Mr. Fantastic, but he was usually drawn to be nearly as large as the Hulk. Galactus seems to go from a few dozen feet to thousands to feet without actually using his cosmic power to increase his size.

When Atom-Smasher was at his Shaq size he was able to take on the likes of Robotman, Commander Steel and a somewhat weaker Solomon Grundy (who wasn't his weakest incarnation, but also wasn't his usual Solomon Grundy smash version either). At his largest size and density increase Iron Man and Ms. Marvel would have to go all out to potentially even hurt him.

1.No problem, we're making mistakes all along, too many comics to read, too many to remember. And I agree, but this skyscrapers seemed to be similar in height by look. BTW, what are You basing You opinion about Atoms' height?

2.I am not an expert about Iron Man's beams, but I think that You're underestimating them a little. I would need to see best Atom's durability feats to energy projection to begin with. Extremis Iron Man had deice that could summon small nuclear missles to his place. And Ms. Marvel can abosorb similar level of energy.

Yeah Atom Smasher is no joke. I know that in comics people like Iron Man routinely take on and easily defeat giant-sized enemies, but AS wont be that easy. Realistically, if Iron Man is fighting him and AS gets his hands on him, even once, it's light out for Tony. And Ms Marvel would get killed quickly as well if she's not being careful.

Personally I would put Carol's durability above Tony's, when he doesn't have his shields. Best fights that AS won? I would rather like to see someone similar to IM or MM, then stronger people than them, but without their abilities.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: AS and BA have fought several times. the first instance was after an altercation in JSA HQ ( started with an arm wrestle that BA won easily) and AS belted him through the roof. the second was in a fight ring but power dampaners were used to keep it more even. Later in 52 AS where AS at giant size ( his strength grows with his height 70 to 80 tons ant his normal 7'6" and his maximum height is supposed to be 200') he pinned BA. the thing with AS is it's not just his strength that determines his blows but his ability to increase and decrease his mass at will. As a result he can strike with blows MUCH greater than his actual strength level ( may not be a Flash IMP but when you can increase your mass several times over the blow a 80 tonner can be many times that by simply reducing the mass of the fist before your strength throws to increase velocity and increase it greatly as it strikes to increase the impact) . on at least one occasion when BA came to AS for help and AS suspected an attack BA acknowledged in his thought balloon that he sensed AS alter his mass ready to strike. without his mass altering he would not be able to contend with BA at all.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: AS and BA have fought several times. the first instance was after an altercation in JSA HQ ( started with an arm wrestle that BA won easily) and AS belted him through the roof. the second was in a fight ring but power dampaners were used to keep it more even. Later in 52 AS where AS at giant size ( his strength grows with his height 70 to 80 tons ant his normal 7'6" and his maximum height is supposed to be 200') he pinned BA. the thing with AS is it's not just his strength that determines his blows but his ability to increase and decrease his mass at will. As a result he can strike with blows MUCH greater than his actual strength level ( may not be a Flash IMP but when you can increase your mass several times over the blow a 80 tonner can be many times that by simply reducing the mass of the fist before your strength throws to increase velocity and increase it greatly as it strikes to increase the impact) . on at least one occasion when BA came to AS for help and AS suspected an attack BA acknowledged in his thought balloon that he sensed AS alter his mass ready to strike. without his mass altering he would not be able to contend with BA at all.

Out of curiosity, have they ever given a limit to his density/mass increase ability? What happens if he decides to max it out?

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: not that I'm aware of. his limit for size growth was stated at 200 feet once but on another occasion the stressers were stated to be the factor that he grew to fast and was placing stress on hia body. As far as his density manip all we have seen is him beckme intangible and become dense enough to be impervious ( though ive only seen this used to defend agains physical attacks or projectiles not energy based ones). To be reasonable he shouldn't be able to increase his mass beyond what the densist atoms at his size can be. to do kore would imply an ability to absorb matter not control his own atoms

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By willpayton

@willpayton: not that I'm aware of. his limit for size growth was stated at 200 feet once but on another occasion the stressers were stated to be the factor that he grew to fast and was placing stress on hia body. As far as his density manip all we have seen is him beckme intangible and become dense enough to be impervious ( though ive only seen this used to defend agains physical attacks or projectiles not energy based ones). To be reasonable he shouldn't be able to increase his mass beyond what the densist atoms at his size can be. to do kore would imply an ability to absorb matter not control his own atoms

Wait, what? Are you claiming that he DOESN'T absorb matter when he grows larger? That hardly seems possible. If he grows to 200 feet tall and only weight as much as a normal man, he'll get blown away by the first breeze that comes along.

Also, didnt you say he increased his density when facing BA once? Did he stay the same size when he did that? If he's increasing density and staying the same size, that means he's increasing his mass.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1 said:

Wait, what? Are you claiming that he DOESN'T absorb matter when he grows larger? That hardly seems possible. If he grows to 200 feet tall and only weight as much as a normal man, he'll get blown away by the first breeze that comes along.

Also, didnt you say he increased his density when facing BA once? Did he stay the same size when he did that? If he's increasing density and staying the same size, that means he's increasing his mass.

No I don't believe he "absorbs matter' because of where his powers come from. He is the grandson of Terry Curtis AKA Cyclotron. His grandad discovered nuclear fusion in 42 a few years before Hiroshima. Courtesy of Ultra Humanite taking his discovering and using it to empower Terry he gained the power of nuclear fusion. he could create nuclear blasts, fly and split the atoms of things an alter their atomic structure. The other one empowered by Ultra with the same device was Will Everett AKA Amazingman who gained the power to alter his molecular structure and become steel, wood, rubber etc. Al Rothstein when he first appeared in All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc was a 7'6 guy with super strength. After fighting his god father Al Pratt ( when Al was affected by the stream of ruthfulness courtesy of another Ultra plot) he was further affected by Thorium radiation which added the size change, density manip etc to his abilities ( there were some insinuations he had that before since he shot up from 5'6 to 7'6 in months in his adolescence ). I always saw his size change etc as part of his abilities to control his own atoms. His growth in size as I see it is him splitting an duplicating ( or increasing) the number of atoms in his body. His density control is his control over their cohesiveness and as I see it mass is an extension of that also by altering the relative isotopic mass of his atoms. I could be wrong but that simply makes the most logical sense to me based on where his powers stem from. As such I would say he is limited to the amount of mass he can increase to what is the greatest isotopic mass possible for his number of atoms. As such I would say he can have much greater mass at his larger sizes than at his base size but still limited by the atoms within him under his control.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I don't believe he "absorbs matter' because of where his powers come from. He is the grandson of Terry Curtis AKA Cyclotron. His grandad discovered nuclear fusion in 42 a few years before Hiroshima. Courtesy of Ultra Humanite taking his discovering and using it to empower Terry he gained the power of nuclear fusion. he could create nuclear blasts, fly and split the atoms of things an alter their atomic structure. The other one empowered by Ultra with the same device was Will Everett AKA Amazingman who gained the power to alter his molecular structure and become steel, wood, rubber etc. Al Rothstein when he first appeared in All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc was a 7'6 guy with super strength. After fighting his god father Al Pratt ( when Al was affected by the stream of ruthfulness courtesy of another Ultra plot) he was further affected by Thorium radiation which added the size change, density manip etc to his abilities ( there were some insinuations he had that before since he shot up from 5'6 to 7'6 in months in his adolescence ). I always saw his size change etc as part of his abilities to control his own atoms. His growth in size as I see it is him splitting an duplicating ( or increasing) the number of atoms in his body. His density control is his control over their cohesiveness and as I see it mass is an extension of that also by altering the relative isotopic mass of his atoms. I could be wrong but that simply makes the most logical sense to me based on where his powers stem from. As such I would say he is limited to the amount of mass he can increase to what is the greatest isotopic mass possible for his number of atoms. As such I would say he can have much greater mass at his larger sizes than at his base size but still limited by the atoms within him under his control.

Oh ok, you're saying he generates more mass and not absorbs it from somewhere. But you're also saying that he still only has the same number of atoms... each atom just has more mass??

Well, I dont know if that makes sense, but it really doesnt matter because the physics of it is comic-book physics and wont make sense anyway. I'm sure he can increase in mass as much as the writers want him to. I just wanted to know if hey ever stated a limit.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh ok, you're saying he generates more mass and not absorbs it from somewhere. But you're also saying that he still only has the same number of atoms... each atom just has more mass??

Well, I dont know if that makes sense, but it really doesnt matter because the physics of it is comic-book physics and wont make sense anyway. I'm sure he can increase in mass as much as the writers want him to. I just wanted to know if hey ever stated a limit.

On thinking it out I guess even the way I look at it would be "absorbing" mass in a way, to think of it otherwise is a little silly.

To change his relative isotopic mass would mean an increase in the number of either protons or neutrons in the atoms of his body. So in a sense he would have to absorb them from some where. The growth thing still works by splitting and multiplying of atoms but it's not like you can really split a proton or neutron and retain the same isotopic mass.

No, that I'm aware of no "limit' has been stated. the fact that they have set a limit for his growth I would say means there has to be one for his other abilities as well.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First one - IIRC - was a sucker punch and Adam came back right after that.

His strength should increase about 25 times, but I belive that is much higher than that, since it would be just 2,000 tons.

His strength, as Pym's strength should be enough to deal with Iron Man or Ms. Marvel, this is not the point.

Point is that his reflex could go decrease, as much as his ability to see his enemies. A specially fast ones, like Tony and Carol.

I may be biased, because I hate characters with this power (similar with Atlas, Giant that was killed by Ragnarok, this alien from Imperial Guard or Pym and Wasp themselves), since I belive it is much less usefull than normal super-strength. They are actually more vulnerable, since it is easier to strike their eyes or ears with powerfull beams.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By beatboks1

@czarny_samael666 said:

@beatboks1 said:

First one - IIRC - was a sucker punch and Adam came back right after that.

His strength should increase about 25 times, but I belive that is much higher than that, since it would be just 2,000 tons.

His strength, as Pym's strength should be enough to deal with Iron Man or Ms. Marvel, this is not the point.

Point is that his reflex could go decrease, as much as his ability to see his enemies. A specially fast ones, like Tony and Carol.

I may be biased, because I hate characters with this power (similar with Atlas, Giant that was killed by Ragnarok, this alien from Imperial Guard or Pym and Wasp themselves), since I belive it is much less usefull than normal super-strength. They are actually more vulnerable, since it is easier to strike their eyes or ears with powerfull beams.

A sucker punch that BA clearly saw when the fist was passing Atom Smashers waist well before it his him. Adam returned three pages later. He also returned pretty damn P'd so clearly he was hit harder than he expected. Like i said he easily beat AS in arm wrestling the issue before so he was probably pretty damn sure AS's blow wouldn't even faze him hence why he didn't dodge ( despite clearly having PLENTY of time with his level of Speed).

Your still missing the point, the power of his punches isn't limited to just his strength, it's altered by the fact that he alters his mass. since he man make his arm/fist have less mass then more he can make his blows many hundred times more potent than his normal strength level of 80 tons. F = M x A let's say his arm weights 5 kg and he throws a fist with acceleration of 16,000 m/s based on his normal physical strength ( if he can lift 80,000kg at 1 m/s that would be 80000 newtons so hence the speed) he makes the mass instead to be 500 grams ( 1/10 the original mass so with the same force 10 times the acceleration) suddenly his fist is moving at 160,000 m/s. Right at the point of impact he makes that mass 500kg F then = 80 million newtons effectively making the blow he can throw with his limited 80 ton strength the equivalent to one that someone with 80,000 ton strength. Effectively if he used these changes to his mass he increases the force of his blows at a normal height ( without growing) by a factor of 1000 times. This is why he was able to belt Black Adam out of the JSA HQ and through the air. This is why BA was pissed when it happened. Now I'm not for a minute saying that the level of his abilities is that defined or to that level, as I've said actual limits or quantities haven't been put on it. But THAT is the power that makes him more able to hang in the leagues with powerhouses like those on the Avengers team.

For the record i don't think much of the growing power either. the thing is for MOST of the characters history he really didn't use growing much. Usually that only happened by accident when he was trying to use the mass or density altering powers and pushed the wrong way or a little hard. Throughout most of Infinity Inc and his JLA appearances he used his mass and density manip and strength a lot more and almost never increased size. Under Johns and Goyer his treatment has gone the other way and IMO the character has suffered for it. Personally if I had his powerset I would never use the giant thing when the ability to become intangible, or super dense or to alter my mass and make myself lighter or heavier is a LOT more useful when put to proper use and that is how the character always USED to be treated.

By the way, he actually has "normal Super strength". Before he gained the power to change size, mass density etc after absorbing even more radiation in a battle with his god father Atom 1 he was a super hero who was a walking brick who was able to fight in a mid level power range version of Solomon Grundies level. He was only just out done in strength by his team mate Fury ( daughter of earth 2 Wonder Woman) and could belt Commander steel and Robotman and other tanks around.

I still say that power wise the REAL threat on the JSA team here is Stargirl. With her cosmic converter belt she is a brick and energy projector near Ms marvel levels. With her Cosmic Rod she has abilities that are like combining Dr Light, Magneto and a GL together into one. The girl can hold her own against God's

No Caption Provided

Both are powered by a bandwidth of energy discovered by Ted Knight ( the first Starman) that was alter called cosmic energy. The way I see it in a shared universe that would be the same cosmic energy that Galactus and Surfer et all use. Which explains to me some of the less scientific natures of her devices like

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I never understood how if they were scientific devices the user could be attuned to them and control them by thought or feeling. Or how she could for example sue the cosmic rod to free Hourman 1 million from possession.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1:

Now I get You and I'm pretty glad that You're saying that his powers are defined to that level, becuase problem with all this superstrong guys is that we can't measure power of their strikes by math, because - for example - Hulk may have a great mass and good reflex, but similar one wouldn't give results he accomplished. Ergo, we take as a fact option that their strikes are felt harder, because of power they have inthemselves (let it be sun, gamma or cosmic energy).

And here comes my point - Atom Smasher's powers may work in different way than Pym's, but I am intrested in effect. Who was KOd or killed by AS and who couldn't KO or kill him with their own energy projection.

IDK anything about Saturn Gril. Any recomended issues/stories? BTW, she has to fight a god here too ;-) Probably one with better feats than them :-P

BWANASIMBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: Atom-Smasher can grow to 200 feet tall:

http://www.google.com/imgres?safe=off&biw=1152&bih=701&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZK_i56kqn86xrM:&imgrefurl=http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/steel-or-citizen-steel-754887/&docid=5NboIENoKsRkWM&imgurl=http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/141991/2915232-atom_smasher__powergirl_and_hourman_in_jsa___all_stars__11_04.jpg&w=2560&h=1928&ei=b_63UdG3DeWKjALM7YAQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:4,s:0,i:92&iact=rc&dur=1166&page=1&tbnh=179&tbnw=221&start=0&ndsp=23&tx=116&ty=70

Thrown in for the hell of it (seriously, I swear PG is only included for cheesecake):

http://www.google.com/imgres?safe=off&biw=1152&bih=701&tbm=isch&tbnid=HUXXrjaq4rcf9M:&imgrefurl=http://section244.blogspot.com/2012/09/unearthed-jsa-all-stars1.html&docid=lDWAu_hjnItxZM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kcEBaxlh1n8/UGJQ_rY4olI/AAAAAAAADbc/5zAr_Njly98/s1600/jsa_all_stars_11.jpg&w=992&h=1258&ei=b_63UdG3DeWKjALM7YAQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:2,s:0,i:86&iact=rc&dur=308&page=1&tbnh=179&tbnw=131&start=0&ndsp=23&tx=97&ty=51

I couldn't find any scans of Albert tanking energy blasts (I know they are out there, I just can't find them), but off the top of my head he has taken atomic energy punches from Black Lantern Atom (Al Pratt).

I too agree that Ms. Marvel is more durable than IM without his shields. Thing is though, he always has shields unless he's nearly out of power or his armor is seriously damaged.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwanasimba:

beatbooks1 have a lot of scans with JSA, I am sure he will come with something. Besides, it seems that in his opion Saturn Girl could be a game changer.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By beatboks1

@czarny_samael666:

Best AS feats I can think of for "strength"/ strikes.

1. Duking it our with Solomon Grundy for a page or two. he was struggling toward the end and Grundy was choking him and he almost passed out. This was however before he got the additional powers of mass/density/size alteration. back when he was just a low level brick ( somewhere mid way or above mid way between Luke Cage and classic Thing). The version of Grundy in question wasn't one of the "high end ones" but also far from the low ends ones. In the pages before Al fought him he had taken down most of the other infitors ( including Wonder Woman's daughter Fury) quickly by one shotting them.
  2. Duking it our with his "uncle All" (the original Atom) during the time the JSA was affected by the stream of ruthfullness ( also before upgrade)
  3. fighting E-2 Wonder Woman at the end of the same ark ( after upgrade but he only knew how to successfully become intangible and had accidentally grown once, hadn't done any mass changing or increasing of density.). He held his own for a couple of pages.
  4. The punching BA through the skylight and pissin him off in a mega way.
  5. pinning BA during 52 over while trying to reason with him in Kandaq
  6. knocking down Martian Manhunter in a cross over between Infinity Inc and Detroit era JLA in the early stages of COIE
  7. Splintering a hospital wall while trying to evacuate people form a burning building ( also COIE)
  8. holding up the side of a collapsing hospital wing while it was being evacualte

Best AS feats for durability I can think of.

1. Taking blast of Thorium radiation form a reactor set to overload and tanking it. This one may be due more to his powers coming from same and a natural resistance to the radiation
  2. Tanking the attacks of Thorns living trees by making his body denser. It doesn't sound all that impressive but these same living trees easily took down Fury ( who has matched PG pretty well) and Silver Scarab who wears a Nth metal suit of armor.
  3. Tanking the blasts of Chroma ( I think that's how his name was spelled) a dude with pretty light colored powers IIRC. First blast affected everyone but obsidian. the second blast even affected him but Al (AS) still tanked it. Not sure how good a feat this one is because as I recall the blasts had some soul affecting ability.
  4. Tanking the electricity blasts from the member of Helix with that power.
  5. Surviving having a building collapse on him ( dived over Hourman (Snr) to protect him from a collapsing building and saved his life.

I'll have to hunt up most f these scans

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1:

It should be enough if You will put names of issues in which AS and Staurn Girl's best feats happened.

EDIT:

One that would could matter are:

2.,3. (unless he lost), 5., 8. (I didn't mention 6&7 because it happened in COIE) & 1-5.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czarny_samael666: the figh with Atom and tanking thorium radiation blast was issue 8 of infinity inc. WW fight issue 10 ( maybe 9) . Grundy fight was issue 3. tanking Chroma blast 15/16. the helix fight IIRC was 17. the fight with the detroit JLA was in issue 19 and the hospital stuff through COIE ( holding up a collapsing biulding tanking it falling on him splinterin a wall of it into shards ) etc was number 20 ( 19 and 20 were COIE tie ins- for the record none of the infinitors got ant type of power downgrade with Crisis). IIRC Thorn was issue 13 . I'm probably going to have to check most of these to be completely certain.

To be honest where stargirls concerned still trying to find my run of Stars and stripe fir here solo actions. Cant think of specific feats for her but plenty for her predacessors using the two devices of power individually. during Johns run she was to him what Catman is/ was to Simone so she was ALWAYS the last JSAer to fall no matter what and the one to save the others buts. of the top of my head cant recall how much of that was plot.

czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1: Thanks I will try to check it out later, but I don't guarantee that I will do it fast enouh to give answer in this thread.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By beatboks1

@beatboks1: Thanks I will try to check it out later, but I don't guarantee that I will do it fast enouh to give answer in this thread.

Found some while thumbing some old issues last night

Could have sworn I scanned a dozen or so more pages last night but must have have saved them to the wrong folder because i can't find them. For example there are two pages of his battle with E-2 Wonderwoman between the two here. I'll try and find them again later.

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JSA

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Not American and most of the world on a WORLD Wide Web isn't Tonne is the correct spelling of the metric measurement Used by most of the world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonne

It's the system of measurment used by all but three countries and around 92% of the worlds population. I meant Tonne as in 1000 kg not ton as in 2000 pounds so I said it correctly. Based on simple measurements of his feats.

Oh and clearly since it's your country using an outdated system most of the world gave up for a more logical and progressive and simple one nearly Half a century ago how exactly are the rest of the world "backward" lmfao

It doesn't matter Beat's you're analysis as always is a great one. The JSA has hellish power and the Avengers are going to need to bring their S class game to win this.

Avatar image for goodguytoastandstill
GoodGuyToAStandStill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously?!! Hulk solos!