sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By sexy_merc

No Caption Provided

VS 

No Caption Provided
Rules:
- J'onn vs Captain Atom
- They both have no preparation.
- Win by all conventional means.
- No bfr allowed.
- Battle takes place in Gotham City with no civilians around and they start off 50 ft away.
- Character morals are on.
- They both have the same amount of motivation to put the other out.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done before. Research both characters before providing an answer. Thanks.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

CA have any kind of mental defense? If not I see him getting mind raped. On the other hand if he does, then I actually think he might be able to take this one.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Silver2467

The Martian wins, but this will not be an easy battle by any respects. I am unaware of any telepathic defenses of Atom, but the Martian tends to reserve telepathy as a last resort in combat. However, Atom will have a very difficult time harming the Martian. His durability, intangibility, and shape shifting will cause issue for Atom. If Atom tried to physically attack the Martian, he could shift his mass around Atom's blows, as he has done against the JLA in the past, and he could shift himself in or around Atom. The Martian's physical strength and durability will also be a match for Atom with the added benefit of various defensive powers. He could also phase through Atom and cause him physical injury, as he has done in Final Crisis. Atom's energy output would obviously outweigh the Martian's, however, given that the Martian has only his Martian energy vision. However, the Martian has on at least four occasions demonstrated the ability to fire psionic energy at his foes. That could be potentially damaging to Atom also. Atom's transmutation would be more or less useless against the Martian because of his absolutist control over of his molecular structure. As far as speed, I may have to give a certain advantage to the Martian. He has used speed in combat before. An example being when he speed blitzed around the world, taking out White Martians as he traveled. The primary obstacle for the Martian would be Atom's energy manipulation. He could of course dodge or phase through his attacks, but Atom has a fair amount of versatility with his energy powers. All in all, I believe that the Martian would win in a very hard won fight, and if all else fails, he could resort to his telepathy, unless Atom does possess some mental resistances. The Martian for the win. 

Good battle. 

mrbobdobalina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrbobdobalina
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sexy_merc
@mrbobdobalina: Stupid search...
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Sexy Merc said:
" @mrbobdobalina: Stupid search... "
Should have double searched it. :/ 

Anyway Static mentioned Atom having mental defenses in that thread, so I'll go with him here.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silver2467
@Decoy Elite said:
" @Sexy Merc said:
Should have double searched it. :/   Anyway Static mentioned Atom having mental defenses in that thread, so I'll go with him here. "
He mentioned him having resistance to mind control and mental bolts but not other telepathic abilities. 
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Silver2467 said:
" @Decoy Elite said:
" @Sexy Merc said:
Should have double searched it. :/   Anyway Static mentioned Atom having mental defenses in that thread, so I'll go with him here. "
He mentioned him having resistance to mind control and mental bolts but not other telepathic abilities.  "
Hmm.....true. Still, doesn't that mean MM should at least have some trouble mind raping Atom?
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sexy_merc
@Decoy Elite: I did. I also switched up the order of the two and I didn't write J'onn when I was searching as well.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467: Not sure how Atom would have a hard time hurting J'onn. He's been incapacitated by Quantum Radiation before against Breach, and Atom is more powerful than Breach is. Intangibility wouldn't be an issue because Atom has used his energy blasts in ways that would damage someone with intangibility. Psionic energy can be absorbed, and Atom has absorbed it twice from two different characters. As far as telepathic resistance, he's displayed immunity to mind control and mental bolts. That's about it, though.

Anyway, this has been done before.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Sexy Merc said:
" @Decoy Elite: I did. I also switched up the order of the two and I didn't write J'onn when I was searching as well. "
Well that sucks. :/
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Static Shock
@Decoy Elite said:
" "Hmm.....true. Still, doesn't that mean MM should at least have some trouble mind raping Atom? "
I'm not sure if Atom can be affected by mind wiping. Other forms of telepathy have worked, though. Telepathic illusions. Max Lord used it on him recently.
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Static Shock said:
" @Decoy Elite said:
" "Hmm.....true. Still, doesn't that mean MM should at least have some trouble mind raping Atom? "
I'm not sure if Atom can be affected by mind wiping. Other forms of telepathy have worked, though. Telepathic illusions. Max Lord used it on him recently. "
Too bad for MM that he rarely uses those. :(
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sexy_merc
@Decoy Elite said:
" Too bad for MM that he rarely uses those. :( "
He uses them more often than mind wiping. I wouldn't use the word rarely.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock: I was not aware that Atom could absorb psionic energy. I will concede on that then. As for energy, the Martian has at least twice demonstrated the ability to view various energy patterns and radiation wavelengths. Atom altering the type or form of energy he utilizes would not go unnoticed. Obviously, that does not mean that the Martian can conform his intangibility to Atom's energy, but Atom's abilities can be defended against by other means. The Martian's shape shifting is often overlooked in these threads, when it has in fact been used offensively and defensively in more than one manner. In JLA #5, if I remember correctly, he and another White Martian separated their own mass into several different parts. Essentially, they broke themselves apart into numerous different fragments. He can also change his size and contort his matter around Atom's attacks. Once again, the Martian has used his speed in combat more than once, as I gave an example of, and he also did try to blitz Asmodel, as another example among many. Telepathy, of course, the Martian would reserve until necessary, I believe. So that may give Atom an opportunity to possibly defeat him, but if the Martian deemed it necessary, I doubt Atom could prevent him from mental incapacitation. The instance with Breach, could you describe that or post scans? I do not remember that.     
Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Decoy Elite
@Sexy Merc said:
" @Decoy Elite said:
" Too bad for MM that he rarely uses those. :( "
He uses them more often than mind wiping. I wouldn't use the word rarely. "
Oh.....................................................................
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467: 
The shape shifting ability could be a problem, but it could be dealt with by using Quantum blasts the cover a wide area. I think that Atom could deal with blitzing (not to mention that he has done it before). As for the fight against Breach....

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This is when J'onn finally regains consciousness. He was KO'ed during the time Breach and Superman fought each other.
 This is when J'onn finally regains consciousness. He was KO'ed during the time Breach and Superman fought each other.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock: That was poor writing. The Martian has become intangible and shape shifted fast enough to avoid taking attacks from Superboy Prime. For him to simply move in head on against Breach without using any of his abilities, to me, just seems like one more instance among numerous others where the Martian was written poorly to make way for SuperMan. I am not suggesting that he would withstand the attack with no damage, but to be incapacitated so easily is ridiculous. 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467: Nonetheless, if that's what it took to damage J'onn, Atom could do the same whether he's intangible or not.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock: He still has to overcome the speed issue, as well as his shape shifting. You mentioned a multi-directional attack, which could potentially be effective, but I have sincere doubts about one energy attack defeating him. Also, the Martian's failsafe is his telepathy. If Atom pushes him too far, the Martian could resort to attacking him mentally, as he did with Spectre and Black Adam. Atom of course does have the range advantage, but I do not believe that the Martian would be incapable of closing the distance, especially when elongation is taken into account. Question. Would the Martian's invisibility be a useful tactic? Because he and White Martians, if I remember correctly, have become invisible to the extent that SuperMan could not see them on any spectrum. I am just curious as to whether or not Atom has energy perceptions that go beyond that.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By NightFang3

Could go either way to me.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467: I never said that J'onn wouldn't be incapable of closing the distance, but omnidirectional attacks would make it hard for him. One energy attack, as shown above, could defeat him in this situation if he's unable to avoid it. While I don't doubt that J'onn could use a telepathic attack if Atom pushes too far, it would literally be a toss up against getting himself incapacitated. As far as being invisible, I don't think it would be that effective. Atom is able to sense energy signatures, and I'm pretty sure that J'onn gives off thermal energy (or whatever energy form governs his Martian Vision). Atom wouldn't be able to see him, but he would still be able to sense his presence. As far as speed goes, I don't see how Atom would have a problem with it.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Static Shock
@NightFang: In the other thread, you swayed toward the Manhunter. Why is it different here?
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock: Sure, I understand. Just for the sake of argument, suppose the Martian did get within arm's reach of Atom, how do you think that would affect the outcome of the battle? Do you believe Atom would have more chances at a distance firing energy attacks, or do you think the distance between them would be irrelevant? I guess I can agree with your point about telepathy, as it would depend on whether or not the Martian ever does resort to it, as he has failed to do so in the past, some of which occasions, in my opinion, were PIS. The Martian constantly suffers from poor writing, usually to elevate SuperMan in some way. Although, I still have doubts about one energy attack defeating the Martian. He has withstood attacks of all types throughout his career. I could understand if there were multiple attacks used against him, although I would still take issue with it if he did not utilize his defensive powers. But one attack such as that defeating him only for SuperMan to fight Breach. The Martian is every bit as durable as SuperMan is. How could SuperMan fare any better against Breach if the Martian was subdued that easily? I will concede to you then on the invsibility argument. Honestly, the Martian does not use his invisibility very often anyway, which is odd really. There are a number of abilities he possesses that he often does not use, such as a sonic scream or telekinesis. My point with speed is that the Martian has used his speed in combat more times than Atom has, to my knowledge, anyway. Correct me if I am wrong. Obviously, the Martian will not be utilizing his travel speed, but his combat speed has been impressive. 
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NightFang3
@Static Shock said:
" @NightFang: In the other thread, you swayed toward the Manhunter. Why is it different here? "
             Because after I thought about it MM is more intellect and better skilled in the use of his powers.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Static Shock
@NightFang said:
"Because after I thought about it MM is more intellect and better skilled in the use of his powers. "
Being more intelligent is debatable. I would have to think that Atom is more intelligent in combat than J'onn is (because Atom is a soldier, and has actually been trained in H2H combat). J'onn would be better skilled in the use of his powers because they are.... HIS powers. Not sure how that means anything.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NightFang3
@Static Shock said:

" @NightFang said:

"Because after I thought about it MM is more intellect and better skilled in the use of his powers. "

Being more intelligent is debatable. I would have to think that Atom is more intelligent in combat than J'onn is (because Atom is a soldier, and has actually been trained in H2H combat). J'onn would be better skilled in the use of his powers because they are.... HIS powers. Not sure how that means anything. "
In Batman's secret file on MM it says "In many ways, Martian Manhunter is like an amalgam of Superman and the Dark Knight himself." and Superman has said the MM is one of a few heroes he would never want to fight. Making MM more skilled and intelligent then CA.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said:
" @NightFang said:
Being more intelligent is debatable. I would have to think that Atom is more intelligent in combat than J'onn is (because Atom is a soldier, and has actually been trained in H2H combat). J'onn would be better skilled in the use of his powers because they are.... HIS powers. Not sure how that means anything. "
The Martian was trained as Manhunter for years on Mars, which perfected his physical, telepathic, and strategical abilities. So I actually do not believe that is the case. His Manhunter training is the reason that he has proven more powerful than every other Martian, Green or White, that he has encountered thus far. He has coordinated the JLA several times, tactically maneuvering the members to deal with a given situation. 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467 said:
" @Static Shock: Sure, I understand. Just for the sake of argument, suppose the Martian did get within arm's reach of Atom, how do you think that would affect the outcome of the battle? Do you believe Atom would have more chances at a distance firing energy attacks, or do you think the distance between them would be irrelevant? I guess I can agree with your point about telepathy, as it would depend on whether or not the Martian ever does resort to it, as he has failed to do so in the past, some of which occasions, in my opinion, were PIS. The Martian constantly suffers from poor writing, usually to elevate SuperMan in some way. Although, I still have doubts about one energy attack defeating the Martian. He has withstood attacks of all types throughout his career. I could understand if there were multiple attacks used against him, although I would still take issue with it if he did not utilize his defensive powers. But one attack such as that defeating him only for SuperMan to fight Breach. The Martian is every bit as durable as SuperMan is. How could SuperMan fare any better against Breach if the Martian was subdued that easily? I will concede to you then on the invsibility argument. Honestly, the Martian does not use his invisibility very often anyway, which is odd really. There are a number of abilities he possesses that he often does not use, such as a sonic scream or telekinesis. My point with speed is that the Martian has used his speed in combat more times than Atom has, to my knowledge, anyway. Correct me if I am wrong. Obviously, the Martian will not be utilizing his travel speed, but his combat speed has been impressive.  "
Within arm's reach, I think Atom is more likely to tag J'onn than at long range (that's always a given, since it's easier to hit someone if they are close to you). Whether or not Atom would be willing to slug it out with J'onn in at a short distance is up to Atom himself, because he's done both in that situation. The types of attacks that Martian Manhunter has withstood depends on a lot of things. Taking a physical attack isn't the same as taking an energy attack. It would also depend on who the attacker is, and how powerful that attack would be. If it's an energy attack, whether or not J'onn could withstand it depends on the type of energy itself. Against Quantum energy, he doesn't seem to stand up well against it. As far as Martian Manhunter being as durable as Superman is, that's debatable. First of all, both of them have different physical structures, and Superman has shown to withstand a lot more than J'onn has. If it's an issue taking blunt force, then I can agree. But, as far as other things, we would have to weigh in what they can both take and what they cannot. 

In regards to the fight between Breach and Superman, it started out with fists. Superman got in the first punch, while Breach got in the second. Then, Superman used his heat vision on him after being knocked off his feet, and it shredded Breach's containment suit. Then, Superman touches Breach's skin, and as a result, the radiation that Breach's body generates starts to coarse through Superman's body, hurting him. But, even after that, he adapts to the radiation and is able to restrain Breach. The reason as to why Superman fared better is because Breach didn't blast Superman like he blasted J'onn. However, in Breach #8, Superman did take two of Breach's best shots.

I can only label one instance where Atom utilized some undefined level of superhuman speed in combat against Ultraa, and he has blitzed other enemies before. The only instance I recall with Martian Manhunter using speed in combat is the time he blitzed White Martians. But, that's different from using superhuman speed in combat (akin to Superman, using punches and kicks at incredible speeds, and I haven't seen Martian Manhunter do that.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467 said:

" The Martian was trained as Manhunter for years on Mars, which perfected his physical, telepathic, and strategical abilities. So I actually do not believe that is the case. His Manhunter training is the reason that he has proven more powerful than every other Martian, Green or White, that he has encountered thus far. He has coordinated the JLA several times, tactically maneuvering the members to deal with a given situation.  "

At the same time, Atom has been extensively trained as a soldier as far as combat (whether it's with firearms or with hand-to-hand) and military strategy goes. Then, there's his experience in the Vietnam War. Atom has also coordinated the JLE (he was their field commander) and the Extreme Justice (he unofficially lead that team, too). Also, during The Alien Invasion, Captain Atom was the tactical field commander of all of Earth's superheroes, and he led them to victory against invading extraterrestrials. He was initially ranked Captain (in his civilian guise), and was promoted to Major after the Invasion due to being successful.

Like I said, the issue of who's smarter in battle is debatable.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said: 

Within arm's reach, I think Atom is more likely to tag J'onn than at long range (that's always a given, since it's easier to hit someone if they are close to you). Whether or not Atom would be willing to slug it out with J'onn in at a short distance is up to Atom himself, because he's done both in that situation. 

Possibly, but given the Martian's shape changing, he could move around Atom striking at him in several places simultaneously. Obviously, again, a multi-directional attack would be the easy answer to that, but under duress, I am not sure if he could manage to do so.  

The types of attacks that Martian Manhunter has withstood depends on a lot of things. Taking a physical attack isn't the same as taking an energy attack. It would also depend on who the attacker is, and how powerful that attack would be. If it's an energy attack, whether or not J'onn could withstand it depends on the type of energy itself.   

The Martian has withstood both physical and energy attacks before. I cannot remember the name of the opponent, but he fought an enemy that required him to increase his size, in which instance he withstood several energy attacks.  

Against Quantum energy, he doesn't seem to stand up well against it. As far as Martian Manhunter being as durable as Superman is, that's debatable. First of all, both of them have different physical structures, and Superman has shown to withstand a lot more than J'onn has. If it's an issue taking blunt force, then I can agree. But, as far as other things, we would have to weigh in what they can both take and what they cannot.

The Martian has undergone an explosion of a satellite along with SuperMan while they were both inside. Neither were harmed. This was with SuperMan Blue. After it exploded, to create the illusion of both of them being destroyed to the Injustice Gang, SuperMan absorbed all of the energy except for the light that it produced. Again, that was after it exploded. He withstood that. There was also an explosion caused when the Martian blitzed Asmodel, and he continued to fight him in order to buy the other League members time to dismantle Asmodel's chariot. As for the difference in their physiologies, logically, the Martian should be capable of withstanding more punishment than SuperMan because of his control over his physical structure. He has shape shifted his brain in order to essentially make himself as insane as the Joker so that he and SuperMan could navigate through a maze of the Joker's mind created by the Philosopher's Stone. He has also changed his chemical makeup into specific forms of chemicals in order to increase his resiliency to a specific form of attack. 

In regards to the fight between Breach and Superman, it started out with fists. Superman got in the first punch, while Breach got in the second. Then, Superman used his heat vision on him after being knocked off his feet, and it shredded Breach's containment suit. Then, Superman touches Breach's skin, and as a result, the radiation that Breach's body generates starts to coarse through Superman's body, hurting him. But, even after that, he adapts to the radiation and is able to restrain Breach. The reason as to why Superman fared better is because Breach didn't blast Superman like he blasted J'onn. However, in Breach #8, Superman did take two of Breach's best shots. 

How does that make sense though? How could SuperMan manage to land physical blows on Breach when the Martian could not?Also, why did the Martian not become intangible, shift around the attack, or simply dodge it? And the Martian has energy vision also, which he has utilizes on several occasions. It is not an uncommon occurrence for him to do so. SuperMan adapting to the radiation when the Martian could not is unreasonable given that the Martian can adapt his own physiology to protect against particular threats. And how could SuperMan withstand two of Breach's attacks when the Martian could not? Again, in my humble opinion, this is another example of the Martian being written down to impose some state of relevance for SuperMan. 

I can only label one instance where Atom utilized some undefined level of superhuman speed in combat against Ultraa, and he has blitzed other enemies before. The only instance I recall with Martian Manhunter using speed in combat is the time he blitzed White Martians. But, that's different from using superhuman speed in combat (akin to Superman, using punches and kicks at incredible speeds, and I haven't seen Martian Manhunter do that. "

I know that the Martian has used his speed in combat at least once, but the situation itself and the details surrounding it, as well as how what exactly he did, are slipping me. Sorry about that. I could try to look up an instance, but there is one in particular that I am not remembering right now. 
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said: 
At the same time, Atom has been extensively trained as a soldier as far as combat (whether it's with firearms or with hand-to-hand) and military strategy goes. Then, there's his experience in the Vietnam War. Atom has also coordinated the JLE (he was their field commander) and the Extreme Justice (he unofficially lead that team, too). Also, during The Alien Invasion, Captain Atom was the tactical field commander of all of Earth's superheroes, and he led them to victory against invading extraterrestrials. He was initially ranked Captain (in his civilian guise), and was promoted to Major after the Invasion due to being successful.  Like I said, the issue of who's smarter in battle is debatable. "
Fair enough. 
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467 said:

" Possibly, but given the Martian's shape changing, he could move around Atom striking at him in several places simultaneously. Obviously, again, a multi-directional attack would be the easy answer to that, but under duress, I am not sure if he could manage to do so.  

I don't think the issue of duress would matter that much.  

@Silver2467

said:

" The Martian has withstood both physical and energy attacks before. I cannot remember the name of the opponent, but he fought an enemy that required him to increase his size, in which instance he withstood several energy attacks. 

My point on taking energy attacks and physical attacks still stands, though. Whatever form of energy he withstood doesn't mean much against a different form of energy that has obviously shown to hurt him significantly.

@Silver2467

said:

" The Martian has undergone an explosion of a satellite along with SuperMan while they were both inside. Neither were harmed. This was with SuperMan Blue. After it exploded, to create the illusion of both of them being destroyed to the Injustice Gang, SuperMan absorbed all of the energy except for the light that it produced. Again, that was after it exploded. He withstood that. There was also an explosion caused when the Martian blitzed Asmodel, and he continued to fight him in order to buy the other League members time to dismantle Asmodel's chariot. As for the difference in their physiologies, logically, the Martian should be capable of withstanding more punishment than SuperMan because of his control over his physical structure. He has shape shifted his brain in order to essentially make himself as insane as the Joker so that he and SuperMan could navigate through a maze of the Joker's mind created by the Philosopher's Stone. He has also changed his chemical makeup into specific forms of chemicals in order to increase his resiliency to a specific form of attack. 

OK. An explosion of what, though? What type of energy was being expelled from the explosion? Even with the first example, Superman has withstood much worse than that. The same questions are raised against the explosion vs. Asmodel. Reason why I'm asking is because it doesn't really dismiss Breach's ability to hurt J'onn. Being in control of his physical structure is fine, as far as controlling his density goes. The part about him changing his chemical makeup into specific forms is interesting. What was so specific about this form of attack?

@Silver2467

said:

"How does that make sense though? How could SuperMan manage to land physical blows on Breach when the Martian could not. Also, why did the Martian not become intangible, shift around the attack, or simply dodge it? And the Martian has energy vision also, which he has utilizes on several occasions. It is not an uncommon occurrence for him to do so. SuperMan adapting to the radiation when the Martian could not is unreasonable given that the Martian can adapt his own physiology to protect against particular threats. And how could SuperMan withstand two of Breach's attacks when the Martian could not? Again, in my humble opinion, this is another example of the Martian being written down to impose some state of relevance for SuperMan.

It was because Breach didn't make an attempt to blast Superman in that fight. Even when Superman threw the first punch, Breach wasn't even paying attention, so Superman basically caught him off-guard. When Breach moved to do the same, Superman was off-guard in an attempt to reason with him. On top of that, J'onn probably wasn't expecting to be blasted like that, so that should answer your question on why J'onn didn't avoid it. But, whether or not he avoided it is besides the point. Quantum blasts hurt Martian Manhunter. Superman, although he adapted to touching Breach's skin, isn't the same as what Breach put J'onn through; the attack that Breach hit J'onn with was obviously more intense than what Superman went through when he tried to touch him. Superman withstood his attacks in the second fight because, as suggested, he's probably more resilient to Quantum radiation than J'onn is. J'onn being able to adapt to particular threats probably depends on what he's going up against. It doesn't necessarily mean that he can adapt to everything he comes across. Your opinion is respected, but don't actually agree with it. Just because Superman is able to withstand something doesn't mean Martian Manhunter can, too.

@Silver2467

said:

" I know that the Martian has used his speed in combat at least once, but the situation itself and the details surrounding it, as well as how what exactly he did, are slipping me. Sorry about that. I could try to look up an instance, but there is one in particular that I am not remembering right now.  "

All I remember is J'onn blitzing across vast distances until he enters the battle, blitzing through White Martians.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said: 
I don't think the issue of duress would matter that much.     
If the Martian can keep up the pressure, it may prevent Atom from counter striking, would it not? 

My point on taking energy attacks and physical attacks still stands, though. Whatever form of energy he withstood doesn't mean much against a different form of energy that has obviously shown to hurt him significantly.   
That is a good point. 

OK. An explosion of what, though? What type of energy was being expelled from the explosion? The same questions are raised against the explosion vs. Asmodel. Reason why I'm asking is because it doesn't really dismiss Breach's ability to hurt J'onn. Being in control of his physical structure is fine, as far as controlling his density goes. The part about him changing his chemical makeup into specific forms is interesting. What was so specific about this form of attack?   
The explosion on the satellite was triggered on purpose by Luthor. That said, likely a bomb, which would imply thermal and possibly chemical energy. As with Asmodel, to be honest, I am not even sure what caused the explosion. The Martian blitzed Asmodel, and on impact, there was an explosion. I do not know exactly how that happened, whether it was some reaction from Asmodel to protect himself or what have you. So, I cannot answer that. If I remember correctly, the Martian shifted his chemical structure to protect against a chemical mixture tailored to have negative effects on his Martian physiology, but I may have to double check that. He did though shift his matter into specific elements, including calcium, phosphate, and carbonite, as well as a few others I am not remembering. He has also performed defensive shape shifting abilities as simply shifting himself into steel to provide protection, as he did against Antares. When he did, he was capable of withstanding several energy attacks from Antares. He has also shifted himself into a small desert, for example. As I mentioned above, he has also protected his own mind by shifting his brain to be as nonsensical as the Joker's. My point is that he can and has used his shape shifting to defend himself. 

It was because Breach didn't make an attempt to blast Superman in that fight. Even when Superman threw the first punch, Breach wasn't even paying attention, so Superman basically caught him off-guard. When Breach moved to do the same, Superman was off-guard in an attempt to reason with him. On top of that, J'onn probably wasn't expecting to be blasted like that, so that should answer your question on why J'onn didn't avoid it. But, whether or not he avoided it is besides the point. Quantum blasts hurt Martian Manhunter. Superman, although he adapted to touching Breach's skin, isn't the same as what Breach put J'onn through; the attack that Breach hit J'onn with was obviously more intense than what Superman went through when he tried to touch him. Superman withstood his attacks in the second fight because, as suggested, he's probably more resilient to Quantum radiation than J'onn is. J'onn being able to adapt to particular threats probably depends on what he's going up against. It doesn't necessarily mean that he can adapt to everything he comes across. Your opinion is respected, but don't actually agree with it. Just because Superman is able to withstand something doesn't mean Martian Manhunter can, too.   
I did not mean to say that the Martian can simply shift himself a defense against everything he is attacked by, or else he would never be defeated. But your description of SuperMan's physical fight with Breach was helpful, and as such, I apologize for making assumptions before having full understanding of the circumstances. I do also appreciate you taking my opinion into account. To be completely honest, I would prefer to read the entire fight so that I could conclude as to whether or not the Martian was being written poorly. The reason I still may impose that assertion is because the Martian actually has a power (shape changing) which could allow for adaptions. SuperMan, although having proven capable of resisting several different forms of attack, does not. That said, I would like to read the entire scenario. What issue was that from?  

Having said all this, when I claim PIS because "the Martian was set off for SuperMan," I do not mean to come off as fanboyish when I say that. While I am personally a huge fan of the Martian, much more than I am SuperMan, it is often times the case for SuperMan to be written in a manner that gives the impression of him superseding other JLA members. I mean no disrespect to SuperMan's character, nor do I mean to imply any bias towards the Martian.

All I remember is J'onn blitzing across vast distances until he enters the battle, blitzing through White Martians. "
I will look up another example for you. 
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Static Shock: The special attack was a chemical that would specifically dissolve the cellular structure of a Martian. To counteract it J'onn grew a layer of human bone over his body. 
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Silver2467
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @Static Shock: The special attack was a chemical that would specifically dissolve the cellular structure of a Martian. To counteract it J'onn grew a layer of human bone over his body.  "
That is what I thought. Thanks. 
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sexy_merc

J'onn has blitzed parademons before, who are troops of Apokolips. I'll see if I can find scans.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Static Shock
@Silver2467 said:
" If the Martian can keep up the pressure, it may prevent Atom from counter striking, would it not? 

In a 'game of endurance', I don't think so.

@Silver2467 said:
" The explosion on the satellite was triggered on purpose by Luthor. That said, likely a bomb, which would imply thermal and possibly chemical energy. As with Asmodel, to be honest, I am not even sure what caused the explosion. The Martian blitzed Asmodel, and on impact, there was an explosion. I do not know exactly how that happened, whether it was some reaction from Asmodel to protect himself or what have you. So, I cannot answer that. If I remember correctly, the Martian shifted his chemical structure to protect against a chemical mixture tailored to have negative effects on his Martian physiology, but I may have to double check that. He did though shift his matter into specific elements, including calcium, phosphate, and carbonite, as well as a few others I am not remembering. He has also performed defensive shape shifting abilities as simply shifting himself into steel to provide protection, as he did against Antares. When he did, he was capable of withstanding several energy attacks from Antares. He has also shifted himself into a small desert, for example. As I mentioned above, he has also protected his own mind by shifting his brain to be as nonsensical as the Joker's. My point is that he can and has used his shape shifting to defend himself. 

Impressive. However, I still think that Atom could hurt him, either way.

@Silver2467 said:
"I did not mean to say that the Martian can simply shift himself a defense against everything he is attacked by, or else he would never be defeated. But your description of SuperMan's physical fight with Breach was helpful, and as such, I apologize for making assumptions before having full understanding of the circumstances. I do also appreciate you taking my opinion into account. To be completely honest, I would prefer to read the entire fight so that I could conclude as to whether or not the Martian was being written poorly. The reason I still may impose that assertion is because the Martian actually has a power (shape changing) which could allow for adaptions. SuperMan, although having proven capable of resisting several different forms of attack, does not. That said, I would like to read the entire scenario. What issue was that from?  

Having said all this, when I claim PIS because "the Martian was set off for SuperMan," I do not mean to come off as fanboyish when I say that. While I am personally a huge fan of the Martian, much more than I am SuperMan, it is often times the case for SuperMan to be written in a manner that gives the impression of him superseding other JLA members. I mean no disrespect to SuperMan's character, nor do I mean to imply any bias towards the Martian.
The first fight is from Breach #4. The second is from Breach #8. Rather than going through the trouble of finding the issues, check out his respect thread on KMC.

Breach Respect Thread.

As for your claim of PIS, it's OK.  Let me know when you find a better example of J'onn's combat speed. 

@CosmicSpiral: Thanks. Good looking out.
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By difficlus

Nocturnal animal much?lol.

shonen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shonen2

What's the connection between Captain Atom and Monarch again ?

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silver2467
@Static Shock said: 

In a 'game of endurance', I don't think so.   

Alright. 

Impressive. However, I still think that Atom could hurt him, either way.   

Of course. I was never trying to argue that Atom could not harm him or would have difficulty harming him, necessarily. My only point was that I do not believe it will be so easy for Atom to down the Martian.  

The first fight is from Breach #4. The second is from Breach #8. Rather than going through the trouble of finding the issues, check out his respect thread on KMC.

Breach Respect Thread.

As for your claim of PIS, it's OK. 

Thanks for the link to the scans. I read the scans you directed me to, and again, I am still unsure about the capacity for SuperMan to withstand Breach's energies when the Martian could not. The only explanations would be PIS or your explanation that the Martian simply may not be as resilient to it. Based on the circumstances, with SuperMan having a close involvement with Breach when he appeared to have died, I may still make the case that it was PIS. I do not mean to ignore the evidence you provided, but I may have to process that.  

Let me know when you find a better example of J'onn's combat speed.    

I will look through JLA issues and other related comics to see if I can find one. 
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By difficlus

i think Jonn Jonzz can pull of a near win. very close. 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sexy_merc
@Silver2467: Did you see the scan I posted?
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Silver2467
@Sexy Merc: I did. Good scan, but were there not circumstances surrounding that that are not addressed in the scan? I did not think it was the Martian creating a duplicate. I thought that was Malefic. 
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By difficlus

i dont think cap as enchanced combat speed/reflexes. at least it doesnt say so on the dc page. correct me if im wrong. some scans of atom with impressive combat speed. 

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Silver2467
@difficlus: Static has mentioned that he has caught bullets and fought an opponent who regularly moves at light speed. 
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By difficlus

ahh..then i dont know. at best stalemate. 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sexy_merc
@Silver2467: I think it was Malefic but J'onn telepathically communicated with him to restrain the Flash. The context is messed up so I removed it just in case.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silver2467
@Sexy Merc: Not a bad idea. To be safe, it may be better not use it. I could go check the issue though, but I am already searching through JLA issues for a combat speed showing of the Martian for Static. 
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sexy_merc
@Silver2467: I may have to search for combat speed but in Martian Manhunter: Volume 2 #33 and 34,  J'onn blitzes a horde of Apokolyptian Parademons.