Joel (The Last of Us) vs Jason (Far Cry 3)

• 54 results
Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Super_Buck

Joel

No Caption Provided

Jason

No Caption Provided

Who would win?

1. Hand to hand?
  2. Standard Equipment?
  3. Who's a better survivalist?
Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the little I've seen about Joel (never played TLOU), Jason should win each round (not sure about the first one). In the end of Far Cry 3 he's kinda like Rambo.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Joel

2. Jason

3. Jason

TheAmazingYOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Jeol, simply a more established character through story.

2. Jason, you had an artillery in Far Cry 3 vs The Last Of Us resource scrounging survival element.

£. Joel, Jason could survive in the wild but when it comes to common sense was an idiot.

Drew_Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Drew_Tan
Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Jason, you had an artillery in Far Cry 3 vs The Last Of Us resource scrounging survival element.

£. Joel, Jason could survive in the wild but when it comes to common sense was an idiot.

He was an idiot at first but became BA

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jan_Valker

@dextersinister said:

Well, then Jason would still win the third round imo. To him a jungle full of tigers, other predators, and criminals/soldiers was like a playground. In like two weeks (assuming this is the time period of the story) he went from noob to master.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jan_valker: That's heavy on gameplay which I always take with a ton of salt. Nathan Drake takes on mercs with advanced combat gear during gameplay but gets held up by a guy with a gun during a cutscene.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jan_valker: That's heavy on gameplay which I always take with a ton of salt. Nathan Drake takes on mercs with advanced combat gear during gameplay but gets held up by a guy with a gun during a cutscene.

Yeah, you kill the mercs during gameplay, but story wise at the end he's still killed all of them, and becomes the ultimate warrior, so it's legit.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. Joel

2. Jason

3. Joel

3. Jason

3. Jason

@drew_tan said:

3. Jason

Jason should win each round (not sure about the first one).

HOW!? Joel has survived 20 years in a post-pandemic apocalypse, and is literally known for surviving no matter what. That's the entire theme of the game! Brody survived like a few weeks on a lush island filled with resources.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Last of us is love, it is life

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jan_Valker

@jaken7 said:

1. Joel

2. Jason

3. Joel

@monsterstomp said:

3. Jason

@theamazingyolo said:

3. Jason

@drew_tan said:

3. Jason

@jan_valker said:

HOW!? Joel has survived 20 years in a post-pandemic apocalypse, and is literally known for surviving no matter what. That's the entire theme of the game! Brody survived like a few weeks on a lush island filled with resources.

As I said, he went from a total noob to a pro hunter/warrior in two weeks. Considering we're using both characters at their best, I have no problem about naming him superior in each sector (h2h is debatable. On paper Jason, being younger, should be stronger and faster, but he doesn't have many showings in this department).

gingerpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joel, Maybe Jason but I'm still going with Joel, and Joel again

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

1. Joel

2. Jason

3. Joel

@monsterstomp said:

3. Jason

@theamazingyolo said:

3. Jason

@drew_tan said:

3. Jason

@jan_valker said:

As I said, he went from a total noob to a pro hunter/warrior in two weeks. Considering we're using both characters at their best, I have no problem about him bein superior in each sector (h2h is debatable. On paper Jason, being younger, should be stronger and faster, but he doesn't have much showings in this department).

.........................but that has nothing to do with being a survivalist. The fact that you all said Brody would win round 3 is what I was contesting.

And when you say Brody is younger and faster, I say Joel is more experienced and calculated. And no, Joel would be much stronger based on what we've seen from both characters.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jan_Valker

Last of us is love, it is life

Nope, that's Shrek.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JakeN7
Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jan_valker: Problem is we don't see any of it in real time, you just take down a bunch of A.I. scripted dudes in any number of ways, a tiger could have killed them all or you just kept lobbing grenades, that's always been the problem with gameplay as feats.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Yeah, those are the reasons why I'm not sure about h2h, but I still seriously doubt that this is a stomp.

How is not about being a survivalist being able to kill enemies in an hostile environment and hunt down things like Komodo dragons, tigers, and sharks? Not only that, but he gathered proficiently medical erbs, which is fundamental into the wild. Yeah, Jeol survived for twenty years in an arguably worst environment (a deserted town is full of resources to scavenge in the first period), but nothing says that Jason couldn't. Again, the speed of his improvement suggests that he has a natural predisposition for those things.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jan_valker: Problem is we don't see any of it in real time, you just take down a bunch of A.I. scripted dudes in any number of ways, a tiger could have killed them all or you just kept lobbing grenades, that's always been the problem with gameplay as feats.

Dude, that's like saying that Dante didn't kill any demon because the boss fights were gameplay. There's a difference between feats not deductible from gameplay (for obvious reasons) and facts that happen in the story.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DraciosV
Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JakeN7

@jaken7: Yeah, those are the reasons why I'm not sure about h2h, but I still seriously doubt that this is a stomp.

How is not about being a survivalist being able to kill enemies in an hostile environment and hunt down things like Komodo dragons, tigers, and sharks? Not only that, but he gathered proficiently medical erbs, which is fundamental into the wild. Yeah, Jeol survived for twenty years in an arguably worst environment (a deserted town is full of resources to scavenge in the first period), but nothing says that Jason couldn't. Again, the speed of his improvement suggests that he has a natural predisposition for those things.

An appeal to ignorance is not going to win this debate. Based on showings (which is all that matters) Joel is by faaaaar the better survivalist.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jan_Valker

@jaken7 said:

@jan_valker said:

An appeal to ignorance is not going to win this debate. Based on showings (which is all that matters) Joel is by faaaaar the better survivalist.

I explained my reasons, nothing more to add.

Except for this: ends in sex.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@jan_valker said:

I explained my reasons, nothing more to add.

Except for this: ends in sex.

I'd be soooo ok with that.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3. Jason

Since no one else seems to be on at the moment, mind explaining how Jason is a better survivalist than Joel?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

We actually don't know the time span of Far Cry 3. So assuming its a 2 week journey that Brody was on is a bit of a stretch. The reason why I said he was a better survivor was because he's on an island filled with insane people and predators. You mention that Brody had a lot of resources. To be honest, Joel was leaching off resources found in urban terrain. Brody on the other hand was out of his comfort zone and had to learn how to survive on his own.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

We actually don't know the time span of Far Cry 3. So assuming its a 2 week journey that Brody was on is a bit of a stretch. The reason why I said he was a better survivor was because he's on an island filled with insane people and predators. You mention that Brody had a lot of resources. To be honest, Joel was leaching off resources found in urban terrain. Brody on the other hand was out of his comfort zone and had to learn how to survive on his own.

And Joel didn't? It wasn't like he had a bunch of prep before the environment around him became something that necessitated survival. Also, the people you meet in TLoU are no less insane than the folks of FC3's island, and the infected cordycep zombies trump any predators in Far Cry. I also never said it was 2 weeks, I said it was a few weeks, as the exact time span is ambiguous (as you said). Certainly wasn't anywhere near 20 years, and Joel's environment was much harsher anyways.

gingerpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: did Jason live for 20 plus years in a world filled with Zombies and crazy people ummm let's see no. Joel is way tougher and better survivalist, this fight sucks, Joel ends Jason 10 out 10 times

gingerpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would take my chances in Jason's situation over Joel's anyday

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would take my chances in Jason's situation over Joel's anyday

You should be a sick b**tard to go for a zombie apocalypse instead of a tropical island, no matter how dangerous, lol.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@monsterstomp said:

@jaken7 said:

And Joel didn't? It wasn't like he had a bunch of prep before the environment around him became something that necessitated survival. Also, the people you meet in TLoU are no less insane than the folks of FC3's island, and the infected cordycep zombies trump any predators in Far Cry. I also never said it was 2 weeks, I said it was a few weeks, as the exact time span is ambiguous (as you said). Certainly wasn't anywhere near 20 years, and Joel's environment was much harsher anyways.

2 weeks, few weeks. Tomato, tomarto. You get my point.

Point is, Joel was in his element in regards to the environment. Jason wasn't. And I doubt those zombies would be able to take down a bear or tiger or a crocodile.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@monsterstomp said:

@jaken7 said:

2 weeks, few weeks. Tomato, tomarto. You get my point.

Point is, Joel was in his element in regards to the environment. Jason wasn't. And I doubt those zombies would be able to take down a bear or tiger or a crocodile.

I guess. There is a difference though.

No he wasn't. He had to acclimate himself to the new environment, same as Brody. Pure speculation, but if we're playing it that way, a bloater would take all of those animals down.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MonsterStomp

@gingerpenny said:

@monsterstomp: did Jason live for 20 plus years in a world filled with Zombies and crazy people ummm let's see no. Joel is way tougher and better survivalist, this fight sucks, Joel ends Jason 10 out 10 times

You're acting like round 3 is a battle.

Who's a better survivalist? Joel, a man who has 20 years of experience and does the same thing every day which is fighting off competition to survive. Or Jason, a man who had little to no experience, and taking on CIA level assignments, saving his friends, joining a tribe, all whilst watching the environment etc.

Man who had little to no experience looks better imo.

gingerpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gingerpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gingerpenny

@jaken7: Yes Bloaters and Clickers were pretty tough, I would still take my chances with wild animals over the infected from TLoU, which also can infect you if bitten

@monsterstomp: It was a figure of speech, Joel is better, I'm not debating what's obvious

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joel is better, I'm not debating what's obvious

I love both characters, but I don't think round 3 is a stomp. Both are actually quite comparable in their survival strategies.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_buck: Meh. Not by experience, environment, and showings honestly. Joel is the clear winner in the survivalist category.

Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Experience, I admit is a given. But showings are for sure comparable. What has Joel done that Jason hasn't done?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JakeN7

@super_buck: Survived for 20 years in a harsher environment, killed countless enemies with a wide range of melee attacks, crafted every thing from medical supplies to nail bombs using everyday items, recovered from being impaled, racked up a comparable (if not greater) body count with far inferior weaponry and equipment, braved the harshest seasons 20 times over (Brody was only on that island during one season that was presumably spring or summer), etc.

Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I don't know why people insist that Joel was in a harsher environment. What wasn't harsh about Jason's environment? Even more so harsh since Jason was inexperienced.

Jason also killed a wide range of enemies.

Jason has also crafted medical serums with the plants that the wildlife offers. He's crafted capacity pouches with different type of leather (yes, you have to hunt sharks for that sort of stuff. Sometimes you have to do specialized missions and hunt rare animals that are just as deadly if not more so). Jason also crafted explosive arrows.

Jason has recovered from being stabbed in the chest. He's even tanked a boat busting explosion to the back.

Harshest seasons? Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring. Its not like he was in a blizzard. We don't know if Jason was on the island for one season. You can't flaw the game on its season patterns.

Like I said, both are comparable.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JakeN7

@super_buck: It was a lush, tropical island that Brody and his group were literally vacationing on before getting caught up in all that trouble. And don't bother listing all the dangerous animals, as TLoU's infected trumps them all.

Just the infected enemies have like 3 or 4 different sub-types. Then there's the military dudes, the cannibals, other survivors, Firefly militants, etc.

Fair enough.

I like how you tell me Joel wasn't in a blizzard, and then claim that Brody could've been in different seasons, we just didn't see it. We also didn't see the 20 years Joel spent surviving. There was bound to be some inclement weather. Not only that, but the later part of the game is all spent in the freezing cold snow.

Hardly.

Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: The island wasn't a tropical resort. The group just stubbled upon it. There were no other vacationers. Your idea on "harsh" is confusing. Both Jason and Joel are human. It doesn't take much to kill them. What's the difference when facing insane gunmen vs. infected enemies? Both have the capability to kill them. You can't really distinguish which is a more harsh environment. Just because Jason looked like he was in a lush environment, doesn't mean he had a better chance of survival. The mercs he was up against, actually had brains.

As for the weather, a lot of places get extremely cold and snowy in America. Doesn't hinder anyone's ability to survive nowadays. Homeless people manage to survive.

I like how you say "Hardly" and I countered most of your points.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JakeN7

@super_buck: Well for starters, infected are much harder to kill. There's also much more of them. But in any case, Joel faced both infected and gunman, whereas Brody only faced gunman. The island had easily accessible vehicles, modern tech, plenty of natural resources, populated zones with neutral parties, etc. It also didn't have a large percentage of area completely covered in spores. Yes, and every human Joel faced had brains as well. And don't forget that the clickers were far from dumb. They used echo location to seek their prey, and the slightest noise would tip them off.

Did you seriously just say that a cold and snowy environment doesn't affect survival? It's not harder to survive in cold climates than it it is in warm ones? And most people in America survive because they have homes with heating. Actually, the homeless drop like flies during the winter.

Except you didn't.

Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Super_Buck

@jaken7: Define harder to kill. I'd give Jason more points for difficulty considering he actually took out Vaas' compound on high alert. 20+ infected running at you or 20+ mercs all firing bullets at you, each one having the capability to end your life. Then Jason gets stabbed in the chest and fights Vaas while hallucinating. Vehicles and modern tech are something Joel had to work with. Plenty of natural resources, easier said then done for an inexperienced person like Jason. Zones were only populated because Jason wrecked Vaas' compounds. Jason faced spores that made him hallucinate iirc. He's also faced pools of acid while doing errands for Buck.

No. I said, cold snowy weather is still survivable.

Except I did. I'm just still getting the vibe that you think Joel outclasses Jason by a long shot. Like I said, both have comparable feats. I'm not siding with anyone here, I made the thread because I don't know the answer. I think its completely arguable.